Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

Well, it excites me to know that others share my enthusiasm for these crazy posts. And boy, sometimes do I ever feel like I am slowly going crazy. Voting is now open, if you care to help me advance to the next round.

While the challenges are certainly demanding, I am having lots of fun. I enjoy that each challenge gives a lot of room for interpretation and creativity so I don’t feel too restricted with what I ‘have’ to do.

You know what else I enjoy?

Using leftovers in fun ways.

The Protein Power Chili that I made for Challenge #6 made a huge pot and quite frankly, I am getting sick of eating bowl after bowl of chili. Sure, I could freeze it, but my freezer is already brimming with goodies (Power Me Up Pumpkin Sesame Cookies and Strawberry Oat Squares, I am looking at you!).

I used the chili in place of a pasta sauce in this layered casserole recipe.

20101025IMG 8674 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

Adapted from here.

Ingredients:

• 2 medium eggplants
  • 1.5 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
  • 2 cups leftover homemade chili OR pasta sauce
  • One 15-ounce can navy (great northern) beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup spinach (optional)
  • 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2-3/4 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
  • Vegan parmesan cheese, for garnish

Directions: Preheat oven to 450F. Peel the eggplants and cut into 1/4-inch slices. Lay on a lined baking sheet and pre-cook eggplant only for about 15 minutes, or until shrivelled (see picture below). Remove from oven and cool.  While the eggplant is cooking, slice the zucchini and set aside. Now prepare your bean filling, by processing the drained beans, herbs, salt, garlic, olive oil, and nutritional yeast (optional) in a food processor until smooth. Gather the eggplant, zucchini, sauce, and bean filling and get ready to layer your casserole.

Preheat oven to 425. Grease a mid-sized rectangular casserole dish with oil. Put a thin layer of sauce in the bottom of the dish as shown below. Arrange 1/3 of the eggplant slices over the sauce. Spread 1/2 of the bean filling over the eggplant, and put half of the zucchini on top. Add a layer of the sauce. Repeat eggplant, bean filling, zucchini, and sauce. Place the final layer of eggplant over the top and pour the remaining sauce evenly over top, spreading with a spoon.

Bake for about 40 minutes at 425F. Once zucchini is cooked remove from oven and allow to cool for about 5-10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle on some vegan parmesan cheese if desired. Makes 4-6 servings.

First things first, pre-bake the eggplant until it gets all shrivelled up like my hands after too many dishes.

20101025IMG 8631 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

That’s about right.

20101025IMG 8629 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

(Note: 2 sliced eggplants made about 3 baking sheets worth!)

Slice up your zucchini!

20101025IMG 8652 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

20101025IMG 8653 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

Now make the creamy filling with navy beans, herbs, garlic, and sea salt.

20101025IMG 8640 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

The original recipe called for 1 cup of spinach in the creamy filling, however I didn’t have any. I would use it if you have some, but by no means is it necessary for it to work.

Lightly oil a casserole dish and spread on a thin layer of chili or pasta sauce.

20101025IMG 8641 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

That’ll do.

20101025IMG 8646 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

Now add a layer of sliced (pre-cooked) eggplant. Try not to eat them all before using! Or maybe that is just me who loves baked eggplant fresh out of the oven.

20101025IMG 8647 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

Followed by a layer of creamy filling…

20101025IMG 8650 thumb4   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

(It is a bit hard to spread around, but not to worry!)

Next a layer of zucchini…

20101025IMG 8658 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

Followed by a layer of chili or pasta sauce

20101025IMG 8659 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

Now repeat the full set.

20101025IMG 8660 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole20101025IMG 8650 thumb5   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole   20101025IMG 8662 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole20101025IMG 8663 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

And finish with a layer of eggplant and sauce!

20101025IMG 8664 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

20101025IMG 8670 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

Bake for about 40 minutes at 425F.

20101025IMG 8676 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

Let cool for about 10 minutes and serve.

This casserole is weird and wonderful and downright crazy, but I loved it. Lots of different textures and flavours. The creamy filling was also quite nice!

20101025IMG 8679 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

I almost caught myself thinking the eggplant was a lasagna noodle! The eggplant really worked in this casserole.

20101025IMG 8692 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

I sprinkled lots of Vegan parmesan cheese on top for fun.

20101025IMG 8698 thumb   Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

Now, I shall enjoy a Pecan Pie truffle for dessert and finish up my work for the day.

What recipes would you like to see coming up on OSG?

Kristin P October 26, 2010

Ahhh, I wish you could be my personal chef! I just want to eat everything on the page. yum!

Lisa October 26, 2010

The casserole looks so good, it is definately going on my must make list.

How about a lightened up pumpkin pie, I am trying to find a good recepie to make for thanksgiving.

Your picknic looks so so so good, thank you for all of the wonderful recepies. I made sure to put my vote in for you yesterday.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie@hotmail.com) October 26, 2010

Oooooh some recipes I would like to see …

Maybe a tortilla soup, or something Mexican.

Also, maybe a ooey, gooey, brownie!

Rika October 31, 2010

I just made this recipe today and it was sooo delicious! I love that it had a creamy filling without tofu! :D Thanks, Angela!

Linda Alli April 30, 2012

This looks delicious, definitely on my menu for the week. Cannot wait to try it. BTW I love your site, as a new vegan I am enjoying the recipes. I also love creating in the kitchen though I don’t have much time right now.

Lauren July 3, 2012

I LOVE using zucchini and eggplant in place of lasagna noodles, although what I’ve made in the past contains dairy. I’m thinking about giving it up. This looks delicious and I can’t wait to try it!

Kate August 10, 2012

This dish is fabulous!!! I have made it so many times and always get rave reviews. I’d like to double (or triple) the recipe to serve as a main dish at a dinner party – how much should I increase the cooking time?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2012

Thats a good question Kate! Im not to sure, I would just keep an eye on it and check it every 5-10 mins or so.

Kelly August 30, 2012

I just made this recipe last night (it must be gratifying to know that after 2 years, this recipe is still delighting strangers!)…and I have to say that bean spread is awesome. I think I liked it just as much, if not more, than hummus. And I love hummus. So thanks, you’ve just given me a new favorite spread for veggies and crackers (and spoons, and fingers…).

Vegan Radhika Sarohia January 28, 2013

Looks so good! I’m gonna try and make a low-carb stovetop version of this, just need to buy some eggplant and zucchini from the market :)

Kate January 31, 2013

This recipe is great! I added couple extra things the second time I made it and had some serious success with the boyfriend.

In the filling I added:
~10 oil packed sun dried tomatoes
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
couple sprigs fresh parsley
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
~1/2 cup extra firm tofu
2 extra cloves of garlic (I won’t lie. I have a garlic obsession)

When I finished the layering I added some sliced olives on top with a sprinkling of nutritional yeast. I also sauteed some cremini mushrooms and onions which I added into the layering process, but I wasn’t as pleased with it.

Sarah June 22, 2013

This must be an older recipe, but I just made it tonight. Delicious! My husband liked it too :) I sliced my zucchini the long way, sort of in ribbons. Not that it made a difference! Thank you. I am new to your blog, but I love everything I ‘ve made from it. So good.

Ellen July 2, 2013

I love this recipe! Finally a recipe that gives all of the taste of cheesy lasagna without the fat and calories! Thanks for sharing!!!

Laurie July 11, 2013

I just put this in the oven. I had to modify it a bit. I only had eggplant and garbanzo beans in the house so I used eggplant and kale for the layers and garbanzos for the filling. It looks pretty. Hopefully it’ll taste as good as it looks. :-)

Jana July 11, 2013

This casserole is amazing! I made it the other night with a homemade pasta sauce. The only problem I ever have is cooking eggplant. . .I feel like I must do it wrong every time. I either add too much oil or not enough and in this case they came out dry from the oven and they stuck to the foil. Any suggestions on cooking them in the oven perfectly so I’m not wasting half of them?

Ashley July 15, 2013

Hands down the best vegan recipe I’ve had!

Stasia July 29, 2013

This is lick-the-plate good. I’ve made it at least 4 times now and the last time I made it, it only lasted me half a day (ate it all myself!). Great job! :)

Natasha July 31, 2013

Hi, I just finished preparing the casserole and its 10:00am my husband doesn’t come home from work until 7:00pm. Wondering if I should bake this now and reheat later or put it in the fridge and bake in the evening! Would it get soggy?

Natasha

Ps. You are truly my inspiration. I became vegan not too long ago and boy am I glad I have found your blog!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2013

Hey Natasha, I think it would be fine either way (although I haven’t tried either) – good luck and thanks for your kind words!

yana August 13, 2013

This actually turned out great and tasted just like lasagna to me. I was a little nervous as I’m not a huge eggplant fan but it worked out in this recipe, Thanks!

Jamie August 27, 2013

I know this is 3 years too late, but I just found your blog a few months ago and got around to making this tonight. So delicious.. love it. Next time I’m doubling the recipe so that I have lots and lots of leftovers!

Meredith September 2, 2013

Hey Angela! I make this at least twice a month and I’m wondering if you think it would freeze well. Would it be better to freeze before baking the whole casserole, or after?

Thanks! ~Meredith

Stephanie September 19, 2013

This was Bliss. Everybody should try it. I added a bit more spinach and water to the bean puree’, yummmmmmm.

Bethany October 26, 2013

I had three garden eggplants to use up and pinned a bunch of recipes, but this one won. I am so glad as it was really fun to make and it smells amazing baking. Thank you especially for the great instructions and pics. Really helpful for a new cook.

Sherry October 28, 2013

My husband made this tonight for dinner; it was WONDERFUL!!! Thanks for sharing your recipes with us, Angela.

NA January 12, 2014

Your recipes are a godsend to a vegetarian person on a low-carb diet – please never stop updating this blog if possible, haha! How do you find so many great ideas for recipes?

NA January 13, 2014

I just made this tonight and it was AMAZING!! My new fav dish to make for lunch at work.. I can’t thank you enough! This is my new go-to, favourite site for new recipes! :D

Toni February 2, 2014

Thanks for the recipe! Should this dish be baked covered or uncovered? As the only soupy part is the pasta sauce, I’d assume coveted, but the recipe didn’t specify.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2014

Hi Toni, It’s baked uncovered – hope this helps!

Kat August 18, 2014

Thank you so much for this recipe! I made it this weekend AND my non-veg fiancé loved it as much as I did! I have your cookbook and always follow your blog! Thank you for all the inspiring you do!

Alexis October 6, 2014

so good! I can’t believe how rich the bean sauce is!

Donna December 12, 2014

I’d love to see a butternut squash/shallot ravioli recipe! The ones that I’ve seen all call for a butter sauce.

Page 3 of 3«123