Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

Well, it excites me to know that others share my enthusiasm for these crazy posts. And boy, sometimes do I ever feel like I am slowly going crazy. Voting is now open, if you care to help me advance to the next round.

While the challenges are certainly demanding, I am having lots of fun. I enjoy that each challenge gives a lot of room for interpretation and creativity so I don’t feel too restricted with what I ‘have’ to do.

You know what else I enjoy?

Using leftovers in fun ways.

The Protein Power Chili that I made for Challenge #6 made a huge pot and quite frankly, I am getting sick of eating bowl after bowl of chili. Sure, I could freeze it, but my freezer is already brimming with goodies (Power Me Up Pumpkin Sesame Cookies and Strawberry Oat Squares, I am looking at you!).

I used the chili in place of a pasta sauce in this layered casserole recipe.

20101025-IMG_8674

Layered Eggplant and Zucchini Casserole

Adapted from here.

Ingredients:

• 2 medium eggplants
  • 1.5 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
  • 2 cups leftover homemade chili OR pasta sauce
  • One 15-ounce can navy (great northern) beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup spinach (optional)
  • 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2-3/4 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
  • Vegan parmesan cheese, for garnish

Directions: Preheat oven to 450F. Peel the eggplants and cut into 1/4-inch slices. Lay on a lined baking sheet and pre-cook eggplant only for about 15 minutes, or until shrivelled (see picture below). Remove from oven and cool.  While the eggplant is cooking, slice the zucchini and set aside. Now prepare your bean filling, by processing the drained beans, herbs, salt, garlic, olive oil, and nutritional yeast (optional) in a food processor until smooth. Gather the eggplant, zucchini, sauce, and bean filling and get ready to layer your casserole.

Preheat oven to 425. Grease a mid-sized rectangular casserole dish with oil. Put a thin layer of sauce in the bottom of the dish as shown below. Arrange 1/3 of the eggplant slices over the sauce. Spread 1/2 of the bean filling over the eggplant, and put half of the zucchini on top. Add a layer of the sauce. Repeat eggplant, bean filling, zucchini, and sauce. Place the final layer of eggplant over the top and pour the remaining sauce evenly over top, spreading with a spoon.

Bake for about 40 minutes at 425F. Once zucchini is cooked remove from oven and allow to cool for about 5-10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle on some vegan parmesan cheese if desired. Makes 4-6 servings.

First things first, pre-bake the eggplant until it gets all shrivelled up like my hands after too many dishes.

20101025-IMG_8631

That’s about right.

20101025-IMG_8629

(Note: 2 sliced eggplants made about 3 baking sheets worth!)

Slice up your zucchini!

20101025-IMG_8652

20101025-IMG_8653

Now make the creamy filling with navy beans, herbs, garlic, and sea salt.

20101025-IMG_8640

The original recipe called for 1 cup of spinach in the creamy filling, however I didn’t have any. I would use it if you have some, but by no means is it necessary for it to work.

Lightly oil a casserole dish and spread on a thin layer of chili or pasta sauce.

20101025-IMG_8641

That’ll do.

20101025-IMG_8646

Now add a layer of sliced (pre-cooked) eggplant. Try not to eat them all before using! Or maybe that is just me who loves baked eggplant fresh out of the oven.

20101025-IMG_8647

Followed by a layer of creamy filling…

20101025-IMG_8650

(It is a bit hard to spread around, but not to worry!)

Next a layer of zucchini…

20101025-IMG_8658

Followed by a layer of chili or pasta sauce

20101025-IMG_8659

Now repeat the full set.

20101025-IMG_866020101025-IMG_8650   20101025-IMG_866220101025-IMG_8663

And finish with a layer of eggplant and sauce!

20101025-IMG_8664

20101025-IMG_8670

Bake for about 40 minutes at 425F.

20101025-IMG_8676

Let cool for about 10 minutes and serve.

This casserole is weird and wonderful and downright crazy, but I loved it. Lots of different textures and flavours. The creamy filling was also quite nice!

20101025-IMG_8679

I almost caught myself thinking the eggplant was a lasagna noodle! The eggplant really worked in this casserole.

20101025-IMG_8692

I sprinkled lots of Vegan parmesan cheese on top for fun.

20101025-IMG_8698

Now, I shall enjoy a Pecan Pie truffle for dessert and finish up my work for the day.

What recipes would you like to see coming up on OSG?

Kristin P October 26, 2010

Ahhh, I wish you could be my personal chef! I just want to eat everything on the page. yum!

Lisa October 26, 2010

The casserole looks so good, it is definately going on my must make list.

How about a lightened up pumpkin pie, I am trying to find a good recepie to make for thanksgiving.

Your picknic looks so so so good, thank you for all of the wonderful recepies. I made sure to put my vote in for you yesterday.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie@hotmail.com) October 26, 2010

Oooooh some recipes I would like to see …

Maybe a tortilla soup, or something Mexican.

Also, maybe a ooey, gooey, brownie!

Rika October 31, 2010

I just made this recipe today and it was sooo delicious! I love that it had a creamy filling without tofu! :D Thanks, Angela!

Linda Alli April 30, 2012

This looks delicious, definitely on my menu for the week. Cannot wait to try it. BTW I love your site, as a new vegan I am enjoying the recipes. I also love creating in the kitchen though I don’t have much time right now.

Lauren July 3, 2012

I LOVE using zucchini and eggplant in place of lasagna noodles, although what I’ve made in the past contains dairy. I’m thinking about giving it up. This looks delicious and I can’t wait to try it!

Kate August 10, 2012

This dish is fabulous!!! I have made it so many times and always get rave reviews. I’d like to double (or triple) the recipe to serve as a main dish at a dinner party – how much should I increase the cooking time?

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2012

Thats a good question Kate! Im not to sure, I would just keep an eye on it and check it every 5-10 mins or so.

Kelly August 30, 2012

I just made this recipe last night (it must be gratifying to know that after 2 years, this recipe is still delighting strangers!)…and I have to say that bean spread is awesome. I think I liked it just as much, if not more, than hummus. And I love hummus. So thanks, you’ve just given me a new favorite spread for veggies and crackers (and spoons, and fingers…).

Vegan Radhika Sarohia January 28, 2013

Looks so good! I’m gonna try and make a low-carb stovetop version of this, just need to buy some eggplant and zucchini from the market :)

Kate January 31, 2013

This recipe is great! I added couple extra things the second time I made it and had some serious success with the boyfriend.

In the filling I added:
~10 oil packed sun dried tomatoes
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
couple sprigs fresh parsley
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
~1/2 cup extra firm tofu
2 extra cloves of garlic (I won’t lie. I have a garlic obsession)

When I finished the layering I added some sliced olives on top with a sprinkling of nutritional yeast. I also sauteed some cremini mushrooms and onions which I added into the layering process, but I wasn’t as pleased with it.

Sarah June 22, 2013

This must be an older recipe, but I just made it tonight. Delicious! My husband liked it too :) I sliced my zucchini the long way, sort of in ribbons. Not that it made a difference! Thank you. I am new to your blog, but I love everything I ‘ve made from it. So good.

Ellen July 2, 2013

I love this recipe! Finally a recipe that gives all of the taste of cheesy lasagna without the fat and calories! Thanks for sharing!!!

Laurie July 11, 2013

I just put this in the oven. I had to modify it a bit. I only had eggplant and garbanzo beans in the house so I used eggplant and kale for the layers and garbanzos for the filling. It looks pretty. Hopefully it’ll taste as good as it looks. :-)

Jana July 11, 2013

This casserole is amazing! I made it the other night with a homemade pasta sauce. The only problem I ever have is cooking eggplant. . .I feel like I must do it wrong every time. I either add too much oil or not enough and in this case they came out dry from the oven and they stuck to the foil. Any suggestions on cooking them in the oven perfectly so I’m not wasting half of them?

Ashley July 15, 2013

Hands down the best vegan recipe I’ve had!

Stasia July 29, 2013

This is lick-the-plate good. I’ve made it at least 4 times now and the last time I made it, it only lasted me half a day (ate it all myself!). Great job! :)

Natasha July 31, 2013

Hi, I just finished preparing the casserole and its 10:00am my husband doesn’t come home from work until 7:00pm. Wondering if I should bake this now and reheat later or put it in the fridge and bake in the evening! Would it get soggy?

Natasha

Ps. You are truly my inspiration. I became vegan not too long ago and boy am I glad I have found your blog!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 31, 2013

Hey Natasha, I think it would be fine either way (although I haven’t tried either) – good luck and thanks for your kind words!

yana August 13, 2013

This actually turned out great and tasted just like lasagna to me. I was a little nervous as I’m not a huge eggplant fan but it worked out in this recipe, Thanks!

Jamie August 27, 2013

I know this is 3 years too late, but I just found your blog a few months ago and got around to making this tonight. So delicious.. love it. Next time I’m doubling the recipe so that I have lots and lots of leftovers!

Meredith September 2, 2013

Hey Angela! I make this at least twice a month and I’m wondering if you think it would freeze well. Would it be better to freeze before baking the whole casserole, or after?

Thanks! ~Meredith

Stephanie September 19, 2013

This was Bliss. Everybody should try it. I added a bit more spinach and water to the bean puree’, yummmmmmm.

Bethany October 26, 2013

I had three garden eggplants to use up and pinned a bunch of recipes, but this one won. I am so glad as it was really fun to make and it smells amazing baking. Thank you especially for the great instructions and pics. Really helpful for a new cook.

Sherry October 28, 2013

My husband made this tonight for dinner; it was WONDERFUL!!! Thanks for sharing your recipes with us, Angela.

NA January 12, 2014

Your recipes are a godsend to a vegetarian person on a low-carb diet – please never stop updating this blog if possible, haha! How do you find so many great ideas for recipes?

NA January 13, 2014

I just made this tonight and it was AMAZING!! My new fav dish to make for lunch at work.. I can’t thank you enough! This is my new go-to, favourite site for new recipes! :D

Toni February 2, 2014

Thanks for the recipe! Should this dish be baked covered or uncovered? As the only soupy part is the pasta sauce, I’d assume coveted, but the recipe didn’t specify.

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 3, 2014

Hi Toni, It’s baked uncovered – hope this helps!

Kat August 18, 2014

Thank you so much for this recipe! I made it this weekend AND my non-veg fiancé loved it as much as I did! I have your cookbook and always follow your blog! Thank you for all the inspiring you do!

Alexis October 6, 2014

so good! I can’t believe how rich the bean sauce is!

Donna December 12, 2014

I’d love to see a butternut squash/shallot ravioli recipe! The ones that I’ve seen all call for a butter sauce.

Marta Vodrey January 16, 2015

This week alone, I’ve made this recipe, (holy I can eat the purred beans on their own) your walnut + lentil loaf with sweet potatoes, AND the heavenly carrot cake oatmeal bake – all SERIOUS hits with the hubby. Still working on the toughest food critic in the house though…the toddler. He’ll get there. He does love the granola bars though :)

Love your recipes as usual.

.:Marta:.

Kim Litle May 5, 2015

This is just about my favorite vegan dish ever and it is amazing for a dinner party with meat eaters as it can serve as a side or a hearty entree. I LOVE the tofu cream sauce. Just amazing.

Eggplant-Potato Moussaka with Pine Nut Cream

2 (15 ounce) cans of crushed tomatoes, with juice

2 teaspoons dried oregano

¼ t ground cinnamon

1 bay leaf

Salt

Pine Nut Cream

1 pound soft silken tofu (lite is fine)

½ cup pine nuts, plus additional for garnish

3 T lemon juice

1 t arrowroot powder

1 clove garlic

Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg

1 ¼ t salt

White pepper

Prepare the Vegetables:

Wash the eggplant and zucchini and trim the stems. Scrub and peel the
potatoes. Slice the eggplant, zucchini, and potatoes lengthwise into ¼
inch slices. Rub the eggplant slices with a little salt and set aside in a
colander in the sink or in a big bowl for about 15 minutes to drain. Rinse
with water and pat dry. Place each vegetable on a separate baking sheet.
Distribute the ¼ cup of oil among the three sheets and sprinkle veggies
with salt (except the eggplant is salted already). Toss to coat each piece
with oil. Roast the zucchini and eggplant for 15 minutes or until tender.
Roast the potatoes for about 20 minutes until the edges are lightly
browned. Allow the vegetables to cool.

Tomato Sauce:

Add ¼ olive oil and minced garlic in a saucepan. Heat over medium and let
the garlic sizzle for 30 seconds, then add the shallots and cook until
soft, about 4 minutes. Add the wine and simmer until slightly reduced,
another 3 minutes. Add the crushed tomatoes, oregano, cinnamon and bay
leaf. Partially cover and simmer over medium low for 12 minutes. Remove
bay leaf.

Pine Nut Cream:

In a food processor, blend the pine nuts and lemon juice, scraping the
sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula, until a creamy paste forms. Add
the tofu, garlic, arrowroot, nutmeg, sat and pepper. Blend until creamy
and smooth.

Assembly:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a 9×13″ pan, spread ¼ cup of the sauce
on the pan, then add successive layers in order of eggplant, potatoes,
sauce, and half the bread crumbs. Spread all the zucchini on top of this.
Top with a final layer each of eggplant, potatoes, sauce, and bread
crumbs. Use a rubber spatula to evenly spread the pine nut cream over the
entire top layer. Scatter a few pine nuts on top. Bake for 40 minutes
until the top is lightly browned and a few cracks have formed in the
topping. Cool 10 minutes before serving. Even better heated up the next
day!!!! Do not freeze because of the tofu in the topping.

MarryM July 5, 2015

I made this tonight, super delicious! I made Audrey Hepburn’s favorite Pasta Pomodoro sauce from toryavey.com. I did use spinach which made the bean puree a lovely green color. I dipped the eggplant in egg whites and then fried them in a lightly sprayed olive oil pan. I also added 1 layer of wheat pasta noodles after the 1rst eggplant layer. Love this recipe, thanks.

Page 3 of 3«123