Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

The year is 1986.

My hobbies include playing in the snow, baking with my mom, and trying to be just like my older sister Kristi.

20101023SnowPic2 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

Life is good.

It is the middle of a long winter in Riverview, New Brunswick and we have just been pummelled with a snow storm. I would stay outside all day long, hour after hour, bundled up with layer upon fuzzy layer with just my excited eyes, red nose, and big grin peeking out through my scarves and hat.

Clearly, I was born to be an endurance athlete, don’t you think?

20101023SnowPic22 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

Don’t answer that.

The year is now 1992.

20101022Paris 2010 001 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

My hobbies include building the world’s most awesome snowmen, baking cakes in my Easy-Bake Oven, and rocking a wardrobe full of neon clothing and snap bracelets. Life is good.

Despite my love for the great outdoors, there was one small catch.

My mom couldn’t get me to come inside to eat!

‘Just a bit longer, pretty please, with a cherry on top?’ fluttering my eyelashes encrusted with icicles.

It is now 2010.

My hobbies are about the same, in addition to taking too many pictures of my food, writing about my day to day baking high jinks, and running.

20101024IMG 9169 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

I am a vegan and unlike my younger self, I now understand the importance of fuelling properly for endurance activities.

This is the tale of a couple who fuelled a day of hiking with all-natural energy foods.

20101024IMG 8585 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

Won’t you join us?

20101023IMG 8358e thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

For the recipes, please see attached PDF document.

20101023IMG 8274 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

In tote, was a delicious lunch brimming with healthy energy foods to fuel our 7 mile hike!

20101023IMG 8272 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance20101023IMG 8279 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

Eric observed, ‘Well at least we know if we get lost we can survive on this food for a month.’

He obviously doesn’t know me too well if he thinks I could make this delicious food last a whole month!

20101023IMG 8325 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

It was time to road trip and see some gorgeous Ontario Fall foliage along the way.

Finally, we arrived!

I had a plan. If I saw a Rattlesnake I was going to throw it a truffle and run like hell.

We searched for the perfect spot.

20101023IMG 8343 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

The park was packed with hikers and it was not easy to find a picnic table complete with perfect photography lighting (I joke, I joke).

Finally, it was time to feast…something I had been dreaming about all week long.

20101023IMG 8228 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

Our main dish consisted of Protein Power Vegan Chili packed with kidney beans, chickpeas, black beans, walnut burger crumbles, and chunky vegetables.

20101024IMG 8484 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

I had a giggle fit after seeing Eric eat his chili with my teeny tiny spoon! What a sport.

The chili was comforting, chunky, with a bit of a spicy kick.

20101021IMG 7772 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

And was perfect for a chilly Fall day outdoors.

20101023IMG 8246b thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance 20101023IMG 8239 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

Alongside, Herbed Garlic Knots.

20101020IMG 7706 thumb1   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance20101020IMG 7711 thumb2   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance20101021IMG 7825 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

The garlic knots were great on their own, but even better when dipped into the chili.

20101023IMG 8233 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

For a side, I made Stacked Caesar Salads with eggplant bacon and homemade croutons. I thought stacking the salad was fun for a packed meal.

20101024IMG 8441 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

Yum!

20101024IMG 8443 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

To wet our whistle, we sipped Pumpkin Spice Lattes made on the stovetop with almond milk, spices, espresso, pumpkin, and vanilla extract.

20101023IMG 8295 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

The lattes were comforting, warm, rich, and fragrant with notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.

20101023IMG 8305 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

20101024IMG 8559 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

To say I was excited for dessert was a bit of an understatement…

20101022IMG 8174 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

I saw a picture of a Cake in a Jar online and I thought it was a fun idea that would pack well! I put a fun twist on them by making Cake In A Jar Parfaits.

The flavours:

• Butternut Squash Apple Streusel
  • Triple Layer Pumpkin Pecan Cheesecake
  • Decadent S’more with homemade graham cracker crumble

20101022IMG 7850 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

Damn. Good. Comfort. Food.

20101022IMG 8187 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

My favourite was the Butternut Squash Apple Streusel. The cakes were still warm from the oven and incredibly moist unlike any other ‘normal’ cake I have ever tried.

20101024IMG 8491 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

Mmmmm.

After lunch, we were bursting with energy and ready to tackle the trails! We dropped off our cooler in the car and were on our way.

20101024IMG 8619 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

We brought along homemade Raspberry Vanilla & Pumpkin Apple Spice fruit leather.

20101022IMG 8052   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

Can you guess what athlete’s superfood is hiding in them?

20101024IMG 8598 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

Chia seeds!

Chia seeds are great for hydration and contain healthy fats, iron, calcium, protein, and antioxidants.

20101024IMG 8624 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

I also made a ‘box of truffles’-vegan energy truffles, that is- made from dates and nuts.

20101022IMG 8161 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

The flavours:

• Chocolate Kissed Peanut Butter
  • Brownie Bliss
  • Pecan Pie Delight

I could not pick a favourite!

20101022IMG 8155 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance20101022IMG 81412 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

These would make fun and unique Thanksgiving or Christmas gifts, wouldn’t they?

My happy customer inhaled several. ;)

20101024IMG 8458 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

And finally, Spiced Apple Pie Chips

20101021IMG 7754 thumb1   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance20101021IMG 7763 thumb1   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

Cinnamon is not only great for maintaining steady blood sugar levels, but it also contains Iron and Calcium.

20101021IMG 7770 thumb1   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance20101021IMG 7811 thumb1   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

20101022IMG 8200 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

All in all we hiked about 7 miles and had a grand old time, even despite the damp and cool weather!

20101023IMG 8358 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

Thanks to the endurance lunch, Eric still had energy to carry me to the car!

20101024IMG 8579 thumb   Project Food Blog, #6: Going The Distance

Life is good. ;)

This is my official entry for Project Food Blog Challenge #6. Voting begins at 9am EST on Monday October 25th. If you enjoyed this post I would greatly appreciate your votes in carrying me into the next round! Click here to vote . Thank you!

Wei-Wei October 24, 2010

I am just blown away. You’re just too amazing.

Jess October 24, 2010

what a beautiful day:-) i love the salad on a stick idea!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 24, 2010

Thanks everyone for your comments! :)

For those of you interested, the recipes are here: http://ohsheglows.com/docs/roadtrip.pdf

(I linked in the post but it is easy to miss)

maya @ finding balance in tokyo October 25, 2010

Wow.. you did an amazing job! I’ve made truffles similar to yours, but your presentation of them is amazing! It really looks like a box of specialty truffles. I’ll have to try that next time. :D

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie@hotmail.com) October 25, 2010

I seriously don’t know how you find the time to be so creative, and to make such delicious looking goodies!!! You are AMAZING, and I admire you.

Amy October 25, 2010

You are just amazing.Your food looks heavenly. I do have to ask though…how do you keep every leaf on the path from sticking to Lululemon bottoms (I’m guessing that’s what you are wearing or have worn on a hike)?? I can’t make it from my house to my car without half a cat’s fur, every leaf, burr and grass trimming stuck to the bottom of the pants. I know you can’t use fabric softener on luon and so I’m “stuck” (pun intended) with pants that magnetize crap of all sorts within a half mile radius. I’m a Lulu lover and I just have to know. Is it just me that has this issue? Thanks!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 25, 2010

I had burs all over my pants, but I didnt see any leaves!

Amanda October 25, 2010

So cute! I think you outdid yourself! (Is that possible??) All that food is making me hungry : )

Mi-An Dela Cruz October 25, 2010

I’m always reading your blogs but never commented, but after seeing this post, a comment was necessary! Simply to say, WOWWWW!! amazing!!! everything LOOKED delicious!!! I can’t even pick my favorite, but if i had to, IF i had to…probably the box truffles!!!

Casey Thomas October 25, 2010

WOW Angela! This is all so amazing. You are such an incredibly creative woman. Great job!!!

Can you be my personal chef?! :)

I give my raw date/dried fruit and nut/seed treats to my friends and family all the time for gifts…love the idea of making ti look like a chocolate box!

Casey

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 25, 2010

hehe sure ;) It was really fun making them into a box of truffles/chocolates. Maybe I am just a dork like that!? lol

skinny latte October 25, 2010

Angela, if you don’t win this competition there’s something wrong….you are streets ahead!! Always inspiring, always innovative and original, and always fun to read! Keep up the great work! :)

Anna October 25, 2010

Oh gosh, Angela, I just want to BE you. So excited over getting the recipes for the cake-in-a-jar parfaits, and I’m definitely going to make those truffles (all three kinds!) in the near future. Love all these pictures too, the fruit leathers photograph is a stunner!

Liz @ Blog is the New Black October 25, 2010

AMAZING job! I am so impressed and all your food looked incredibly tasty.

Tinka October 25, 2010

Amazing Angela!
Out of all the amazing posts so far this is definitely the coolest for the Foodbuzz contest.
x

Cara Craves... October 25, 2010

Amazing!

I was checking out some recipes on Canadian Living and saw that your blog got posted
as one of the top in Canada (I have to agree! Though they could have expanded it to North America, I think!)
I continue to love reading your blog each day. Thanks for sharing!

Beth @ 990 Square October 25, 2010

I want to go on that nature hike!

Kristy October 25, 2010

You NEVER disappoint! Amazing!

jenna October 25, 2010

you are wonderwoman in the kitchen!!! if anyone should have a vegan cookbook it should be YOU! :) everything looks stunning!

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed October 25, 2010

I adored every little inch of this post. Especially the fruit straps! I must try your cake in a jar idea. You are such a creative, inspiring cook, Angela! Thank you :)
Heidi xo

Steph October 25, 2010

Everything looks amazing! Of course I am most intrigued by the cakes in a jar! Cant wait for those recipes :)

Jenny October 25, 2010

This is so cute! I love it and all of the food looked amazing! Good luck:)

Erin October 25, 2010

wow I love fruit leather and that which you made looks AMAZING!!!

Kirsten October 25, 2010

Love your post! You are so creative and I’m looking forward to some of the recipes out! You have my vote!!

Kristy October 25, 2010

Wow, what a great post everything looks delish! Beautiful pics and I love the pic of your hubby with the tiny spoon, too funny! :)

Laurab @ foodsnobstl October 25, 2010

You are brillant! Everything about this is amazing and inspiring!

jaime October 25, 2010

You are one step away from being in a magazine! I enjoy reading your post each morning. Awesome stuff!

Sonya October 25, 2010

Thank you for such a delicious post! I love eating in a way that reduces meat and animal fat and your recipes are perfect. One question since I’m gluten-sensitive, what type of flour can I substitute in the Herbed Garlic Knots? Who knew you could eat so well as a Vegan?! Thank you.

Sonya October 25, 2010

Oh, and I cannot wait for the Cake in a Jar recipes. My hubby and I are going to Orlando, FL soon via automobile and bringing along some of the food you’ve shared will be wonderful. Thank you.

aubrey @ italktofood October 25, 2010

I can not believe how incredibly beautiful this is. You are so creative! You truley deserve to win this. And those cake in a jar parfaits look amazing.

Janiek @ abrandnewchange October 25, 2010

This post made me very hungry!!! :O

rachael (peace, kale, and yoga) October 25, 2010

What an amazing picnic! Your food looks delicious and your pictures are beautiful! Not to mention that last picture of you and Eric proves that you may just be the cutest couple ever:)

Ashley October 25, 2010

I can’t wait to make everything on you Vegan Endurance Lunch menu! For some reason, I can’t see the Walnut Burger recipe. Is this the same thing as your Lentil Walnut Burgers?

Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 25, 2010

oh, hmm I will have to check on that link!
Yes it is my lentil walnut burgers. I had some in the freezer and simply defrosted them and mixed the crumbles in! It is not necessary but it was kinda fun.

Nour October 25, 2010

Rattlesnake point is one of mine and the boy’s favorite places!! We frequent for a nice afternoon picnic!!

I can’t wait to make those apple chips! Everything is awesome – you have my vote!

CathyK October 25, 2010

two thumbs up, yet again, angela!
content, photography, recipes, fun factor…i would have to give you A+ in all of those categories!
rattlesnake point is our favourite hiking spot, too!
thanks for the wonderful read, and BEST WISHES in the competition!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 25, 2010

it’s so much fun there isn’t it?

Morgan @ Life After Bagels October 25, 2010

wonderful as always :)

LizLivingVegan October 25, 2010

Wow, what an amazing spread of food! Eric is a lucky guy to get to eat such a tasty picnic ;) I’m going to have to bookmark this page, so next time someone says “You’re a vegan? You probably don’t get enough protein!” this meal would keep ANYONE fueled for the day!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 25, 2010

haha awesome!

Amelia from Z Tasty Life October 25, 2010

it all looks so cosy and comforting. Lovely fall day!

Preena Chauhan October 25, 2010

So creative Angela, especially your energy truffle box. Will place my vote!

Becki October 25, 2010

You are amazing!! I don’t know how you do it all but you do!

skinnyrunner October 25, 2010

i want to go hiking with you! just for the food.
you should be a professional chef, that is one amazing, portable meal!

monicanelsonfitness October 25, 2010

I looked at this again, I just love it!

Page 4 of 6« First...«23456»