Easy Homemade Croutons

Today, I learned…

• I can hear my kitchen weep after long baking days (or is that me?).
  • Trying (and failing) to get rid of a huge spider in the basement and injuring your toe in the process is a little something called Karma.
  • I will always feel a twinge of fear when I go into the basement.
  • It is possible to eat a whole tub of hummus in 1 day.
  • It’s best to pretend that my neighbours can’t see me when I’m photographing my breakfast outside in my robe and slippers.
  • Hummus will always make me feel warm and fuzzy inside and should be a food group (see above).
  • New Wal-Mart slippers make me happy. Very, very happy. Even if Eric laughs at me.
  • I want to invent thigh-high slippers for Northern climates. Slippers are fun and all, but I’m still freezing.
  • Sketchie steals all my bobby pins and hair elastics and drops them down the heat vents.
  • Making delicious homemade croutons is much easier than I thought!

It has been far too long since I have had homemade croutons on a salad! What gives?

20101022IMG 8037 thumb   Easy Homemade Croutons

Homemade Croutons

Endlessly customizable.

Adapted from here.

Ingredients:

• 1/2 Loaf of fresh Italian or sourdough bread, sliced and cut into 1/2-1 inch pieces
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Earth Balance OR olive oil (I prefer taste of Earth Balance on these though), melted
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 tsp paprika
  • 2 tbsp Vegan Parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp dried Parsley
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Kosher salt, to taste (I used about 1/2-3/4 tbsp I think)

Directions: Preheat the oven to 375˚F. Mix together the melted Earth Balance/butter, granulated garlic, paprika, oregano, and pepper in a large bowl. Add in cut up bread pieces and mix well making sure that the bread cubes are evenly coated. Season generously with salt, to taste. Arrange the croutons in a single layer on a baking tray and bake for 15 to 24 minutes, or until golden brown and crisp. Let cool. makes about 3 cups worth (I used 1/2 loaf of bread).

20101022IMG 8008 thumb   Easy Homemade Croutons

I only used half a loaf of Italian bread because I wanted to save the rest to make homemade sandwiches to go with our salads.

Slice it up, whatever size you desire!

20101022IMG 8016 thumb   Easy Homemade Croutons

20101022IMG 8017 thumb   Easy Homemade Croutons

Cut into however big you like your croutons! I was going for huge ones today. :)

20101022IMG 8018 thumb   Easy Homemade Croutons

Mix into sauce.

20101022IMG 8029 thumb   Easy Homemade Croutons

Taste. Mmmm. Adjust seasonings. Mmm.

20101022IMG 8043 thumb   Easy Homemade Croutons

I like my croutons a bit chewy in the middle so I only cooked them for 15 minutes at 375F.

20101022IMG 8049 thumb   Easy Homemade Croutons

Today, I also learned that I advanced to Round #6 of Project Food Blog….a big THANK YOU for your votes!!! :) My heart was in my throat as I scrolled down the page to see if I advanced.

Onward to Challenge #6- a packed ROAD TRIP MEAL- that is due Sunday.

What did you learn today?

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 22, 2010

I can’t wait for the 6th post- I’ve been loving all of your entries!

Today, I learned (yet again) that while I love my boyfriend to death, he cannot make plans to save his life.

Clare @ Fitting It All In October 22, 2010

I learned that somedays I”ll be hungrier than others…no matter how complete my meals are.

I learned that my friends from high school will ALWAYS be able to crack me up.

I learned that no matter how much I love almond butter, sometimes regular old peanut butter can be just as amazing

I learned that weeks are tiring…I’m BEAT on Fridays!

Amber K October 22, 2010

Wow! I just have to say I learned that some days I’ll be hungrier than others just as soon as I read your comment. I feel like it was something I always knew, but never really allowed myself to believe. Thank you!

Clare @ Fitting It All In October 22, 2010

I know! I always try to rationalize my hunger, but sometimes it’s just there! Our bodies are weird!

Melissa October 22, 2010

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS!! I can’t wait to see what you have in store for the coming challenges.
Today, I learned that hearing my two year old nephew’s laugh can instantly make a bad day MUCH better.
p.s. If you ever decide to make thigh-high slippers, you can count me as your first customer!

Casey October 22, 2010

I love making homemade croutons! That’s actually one of the first things my boyfriend and I cooked together.

Today I learned that when you point to a line and tell someone to “sign up here”, they may actually write “sign up here” instead of signing their name!

And tomorrow, I will learn what it is like to run my first 5K!!! Ooooh I am nervous.

bitt October 22, 2010

haha I always worry my neighbors will see me if I’m out photographing my breakfast. hey, outside light works best!

maybe i would want to eat more salad if they had delicious croutons on them. good idea.

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) October 22, 2010

Well… I learned that a person with a fused spine should not do turbo kick boxing :( :( I was SO SAD when I had to walk out after the warm up… my back was killing me, I couldn’t keep up and pretty much felt like an idiot ;P … lesson learned.

Krystina (Organically Me) October 22, 2010

I love slippers and totally understand how possible it is to eat a tub of hummus in one day.

Lauren October 22, 2010

A whole tub of hummus? That’s impressive! ;) And I totally agree- I live off of hummus. I buy the same one you do- nothing beats it!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 22, 2010

Congrats chica! And I love your homemade croutons!

ashley October 22, 2010

It’s only 2 pm and I’ve learned lots today: that a group is only as strong as it’s weakest link, and that your puppy WILL find the one important paper out of a group of many papers and shred it. Oh puppies. :)

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day October 22, 2010

Croutons MAKE salads! Who knew they were this easy!

I learned that people do really care at my office. I got homemade cupcakes, a blanket, and lots of other fun goodies for my birthday!

Gail October 22, 2010

Happy birthday!

Bridget October 22, 2010

I’m so happy you’ve moved on to challenge 6! Yipee!

Well…I’ve been preparing for midterms and doing a bunch of homework so i’ve been learning a lot about school related stuff about geography and psychology lol. Not the most exciting stuff, but I guess that’s part of school right :P

Charlie October 22, 2010

I have thigh-high slippers. Found them at La Senza!

Caitlin (EatFeats) October 22, 2010

Thigh-high slippers sounds like a brilliant invention! I have boot-length slippers and they are sooo comfy and warm, but I agree that the rest of me is still cold. And I don’t even live anywhere outrageously freezing.

DebZ October 22, 2010

congratulations on round 6!

the question is: is it possible NOT to eat the whole tub of hummus in one day? so far today i’ve learned that just because you wish it so and try again and again and again, that big pot just won’t fit on that particular shelf!

claire October 22, 2010

Ok, I totally feel ya on being too cold in slippers…I’ve been wearing knee high boots with wool socks all day indoors!

I love homemade croutons, those look delicious!

Congrats on getting to the next level…definitely voted for you!

Rhonda October 22, 2010

I learned that I will spend $20 on a Pillow Pet just to see the five year old’s face light up.

Katy @ a shot of life October 22, 2010

It’s definitely possible to eat the whole tub in one day… especially if it’s pumpkin hummus :) It’s awesome!

Today I learned that I can’t go into TJ Maxx and not purchase anything ;-)

Maddie October 22, 2010

Yum! Pumpkin hummus sounds amazing.

Lisa October 22, 2010

YUM! I love croutons. I can eat them like crackers!! Now I want to make my own.

Krista @ Can't Survive On Yarn Alone October 22, 2010

The croutons look really good. They remind me too of pecorino/rosemary ones I made ages ago. Now I’m going to have to look for that recipe!

Too bad you couldn’t find someone to make a heavier – less open – version of these socks! http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer04/PATTlolita.html It would work great as slippers! As I add it to my someday when I figure out sock knitting list. :)

Today I learned that I make really silly faces when I hoop (as in hula hoop) – a mix of concentration and trying to not too spacey! Things you learn when debating a vlog post!

Carbzilla October 22, 2010

I learned that I should read your blog BEFORE I go to the store for Caesar Salad makings for a party tonight. I would have blown it out of the water with homemade croutons!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 22, 2010

I just bought new slipper socks yesterday! And posted about them today :)

And was recognized in the checkout line by a reader..and I was looking oh-so-not the best. lol.

Photographing things in your undies or nightie is not a bad thing at all. I have done far worse in the name of the blog and have been far less scantily clad leaving neighbors to wonder, no doubt. Ha!

Love the homemade croutons.

I have learned that super hot coffee makes everything better :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 22, 2010

You are totally right about the hummus – it is totally acceptable to eat a tub in a day. Although, my tub is about 30 oz. from Costco – does that count? :)

Emily Elizabeth @ Kisses for Breakfast October 22, 2010

I’ve definitely eaten a Costco sized tub in a week before. I had to pull half out of the freezer too since I was expecting for the first half to take a while to finish. I love topping salads with it and then mixing it in so the lettuce is coated with it. Mmm. Must go to Costco.

Alina (Duty Free Foodie) October 22, 2010

I love hummus too! I actually made my own after seeing it for the first time on your blog a couple of years ago (except I tripled the olive oil and hummus). It is SO good. Today, I learned that it is possible to get through a yoga class with at least 50 chaturangas in it and not give up.

Allison @ Food For Healing October 22, 2010

simple and amazing, my boyfriend LOVES croutons, but he is picky around what they taste like and they have to be multigrain, they can’t be “white”. I might have to make some one time for him, but i dont know, it might spoil him too much ! haha

Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher October 22, 2010

i learned that my cats weren’t giving me a dirty looks because i was eating chinese food.
it’s called “guilt.”

stacey-healthylife October 22, 2010

I love homemade croutons and they are so simple to make.

Angela October 22, 2010

I learnt that I should take my sat nav for every car journey I make even if it’s just a few miles from my house. I got lost twice today :(

My cat steals hairbands as well. We found 27 of them when the old washing machine was taken away.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 22, 2010

LOL – I always pretend my neighbors can’t see me either. I’m sure they have gotten some interesting views before.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 22, 2010

Ooh yummy! I’ve been using soy nuts on my salads lately because I love the extra crunch, but I could easily switch to croutons like this!
Today I learned that:
1) I’m not the only one who isn’t sure about what I want from life
2) Sometimes a good cry is all you need
3) I have one of the best friends in the world
4) Pita Pit offers mini whole wheat pitas (6″ as opposed to the regular 9″) that are much more manageable than the regular type and leave me feeling comfortably full
5) I also learned some stuff related to my job that is quite techy and too boring to blog about but it made me feel quite clever! :D

Rebecca October 22, 2010

I learnt today that I am fitter then I actually think I am and if I push myself to the limit I will not die, I may feel like I will be sick but I will not die :-)

The other week I had a huntsman in my bathroom, it took me 20 mins to get rid of it, I think 10 mins of that was me jumping up and down waving my arms about. I am sure the neighbors enjoyed the mad woman kicking a vacuum around her front yard in her dressing gown.

Gina October 22, 2010

It is definitely possible to eat a whole tub of hummus in a day, I’ve done it quite a few times… :)
Hummus makes me happy, and I agree that it should be a food group.

Today I learned that with a little mental motivation and an upbeat playlist, I can accomplish a run on a Friday night after a very long week.

Hope October 22, 2010

Congrats on advancing to Round 6!!
Today I have learned that my cat does NOT like his tummy being tickled…OUCH

Kelly October 22, 2010

Congrats on advancing! I actually went and checked too and I was SO excited to see your name!!

Moni'sMeals October 22, 2010

you are too cute, congrat on #6.
Those are some tasty lookin croutons if I have ever seen any!

Erin October 22, 2010

Thats awesome!! congrats! Can’t wait to see what you whip up for the road trip challenge.
I learned today that I actually run much better when it is cold out, even though my lungs were protesting the whole time…. oh well, eventually I’ll find my happy medium.

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 22, 2010

I knew you’d make it to the next round :) I am honest when I say that I think you could totally win the whole thing :)

Thigh high slippers are genius — I would definitely invest in a pair and rock them with my Snuggie!

Sharon October 22, 2010

I ate a whole tub of hummus today too… most of it straight out of the container. I’m glad I’m not the only one who is obsessed with hummus ;)

Fanta October 22, 2010

I learned a couple things:

1.) Thigh high slippers idea… that’s brilliant! It’s always a freezing winter in Saskatchewan
2.) Stress can make you very ill
3.) Bridezillas and a well paid job are only worth so much stress!
4.) Human contact is healing for the soul
5.) Unconditional love from my cat is healing for the soul
6.) If I’m sick read important documents many times over before acting on what was read :S
and last but NOT least

7.) The love muffins recipe – instead of fruit I used pumpkin 3/4 cup and 1 cup carob chips = love in my tummy :)

Thanks for a great post and great pictures no matter who see’s you in your robe outside he he

Camille October 22, 2010

Those look incredible! I looove croutons!

Page 1 of 212»