The Other Pizzas: Dessert and Appetizer

Good morning!

20101017-IMG_7464

Can we just bottle Fall up, and not let winter come?

I went on a frigid 4 mile run this morning! It was -1C outside which is colder than it has been lately. I thought I might turn into an ice cube. I did 4 miles in about 34 minutes. The hot shower was so welcome today!

Pizza is all I can think about since discovering that pizza dough is super easy to make! Among my 10 trials of pizza that I did on Friday night and Saturday morning, I had two other successful outcomes. I thought I would share those recipes with you today. Up first, the delicious dessert pizza. My original idea for Project Food Blog Challenge #5 was to do a fun twist on a traditional dessert pizza and then I bailed at the last minute and decided that it was a bit too predictable. It still turned out wonderful though.

20101015-IMG_6342

20101015-IMG_6347

Definite winner. I loved the avocado-lime whip too. It was a really unique way to change up the traditional cream cheese base. It was addicting and refreshing and I couldn’t stop eating it.

20101015-IMG_6341

Up next…HUMMUS PIZZA with a curry-infused crust!! Oh my word, did I love this pizza.

20101015-IMG_6333

20101015-IMG_6334

This pizza was incredible. I was seriously addicted and needed an intervention.

They would make a fun appetizer too!

20101015-IMG_6336

I have a few other ideas on my ‘pizza list’ that I still want to try out at some point! One of them includes Guacamole pizza. Mmmm.

If you could make any pizza combination in the world, what would you pick?? :)

1 Melissa July 3, 2012

Hi! Do you know if anyone has tried the crust of the fruit pizza with gluten free flour? It looks delicious!!!

2 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 3, 2012

Hey Melissa, Im sorry Im not sure! I would try reading through the comments to see if anyone has mentioned it. Let me know if you try it!

3 Kristen October 21, 2010

I really want to make a whole bunch of pizzas now.

4 Alexia @ Dimple Snatcher October 20, 2010

avocado and fruit?? together?! crazy, but i love the idea!

5 Heidi - Apples Under My Bed October 20, 2010

epic…
Heidi xo

6 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) October 19, 2010

Perhaps a chocolate, bacon, cheese pizza … hehe! Do they make such a thing :-)

7 Kate @ Walking in the Rain October 19, 2010

The avacado-lime whip is intriguing. I bet it will taste good even if it isn’t on a pizza crust.

8 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 19, 2010

I’m so curious to try that avocado-lime whip! That’s such a creative idea!

I know these already exist, but I’d love to try a sushi pizza. :D

9 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat October 19, 2010

Oh I love pizza–sweet and savory! I’ll have to try both of these recipes out!

10 Imwaytoobusy October 19, 2010

I am so glad you posted the fruit pizza recipe! The avocado-lime whip is genius!

11 Melissa @ Delectable Living October 19, 2010

Just one question– what did you do with all of the pizza you made?? Photos are beautiful as always :)

12 Moni'sMeals October 19, 2010

You are on a roll sister!

My dream pizza… a cinnamon oatmeal buttery crust, nutella for the sauce, white and milk chocolate drizzles and for a topping-crumbled cookies of course all over the place. ;)
Has this been done before…

13 Brooke October 19, 2010

Angela,

Your fruit pizza looks not only delicious but BEAUTIFUL!

p.s. I’m *swooning* over the hummus pizza. Must. Make. Stat.

14 Jo @JAGSfitnessblog.com October 19, 2010

OMG I simply HAVE to try that sweet pizza! You are awesome Angela!!

15 Claire (Low Impact Fashionista) October 19, 2010

You should definitely make a guacamole pizza :) Or maybe a Mexican style one…

16 Jesse October 19, 2010

You have inspired me to make a Taco pizza, I think it would be so good with the guac. I also love hummus pizza but I like to add sliced tomatoes and cucumbers on top.

17 Allison @ Food for Healing October 19, 2010

Ooo fruit pizza, i haven’t had that for SO long. i was wanting to make it this summer, but i kind of forgot

18 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 19, 2010

Now I want to host a vegan pizza dinner party!! This looks absolutely fantastic…it’s a tough call between the three pizzas, but since I love sweets, I’m going to have to go with the fruit one!!

19 Lisa October 19, 2010

That fruit pizza looks amazing! I love how colorful it is.

20 Mellissa October 19, 2010

The fruit pizza looks great, normally I can’t eat them since I am allergic to cream cheese but this one I can do!

21 Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 19, 2010

I HAVE to try that dessert pizza!!! Oh my goodness gracious!

22 Amy @ be.you.ti.fully, a.musing October 19, 2010

Those look delicious! I’ve never heard of dessert or hummus pizza before but you can bet I’ll be trying them! I thought your blog content was great before, but it’s especially awesome lately!

23 Dana October 19, 2010

I think carmalized onions and olives would be great on the hummus pizza.

24 Laurab @ foodsnobstl October 19, 2010

Oh my. Does the avocado lime whip taste like avocado at all? I love the humus pizza, but i think I would top it with olives, feta, and roasted red peppers.

25 Janessa October 19, 2010

Your pizzas both look great!

This pizza has been on my to-do list for ages:

VEGAN REUBEN PIZZA (holla!)

I don’t have the exacts narrowed down yet, but thinking caraway seed crust, vegan 1000 island sauce, sauerkraut, daiya mozzarella, and peppered tofurkey or field roast.

It’s either going to be so disgusting or extremely delicious.

26 Nicole (Picky Nicky) October 19, 2010

Those all sound amazing! The appetizer idea is super cute. I’d need to be told in advance that there are MORE amazing pizzas coming so I wouldn’t just stuff myself with curry-hummus pizza. Because, that’s exactly what I would do :D
How cool would a 3 course pizza dinner be?

27 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 19, 2010

Avo Lime Whip. Swoooooon!

I have made avo chocolate mousse many times. In fact, it’s one of my secret party recipes. I always bring or make it for parties and NO ONE ever suspects what the secret ingredient is. Because if you put enough agave and cocoa powder in anything, you can always make it taste decadent :)

The lime + coconut flavors you used…oh I want that.

If I could make or eat any pizza…yours is looking pretty good. Cinny sugar crust? Oh that is SO ME!

28 Danica October 19, 2010

Beautiful presentation. I never thought of a hummus pizza – that is a great idea.

I voted for ya :D

29 Kelly October 19, 2010

You are amazing. That fruit pizza looks to-die-for. Seriously!!!

30 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 19, 2010

I love the hummus pizza idea – it would be great with some roasted veggies on top!

31 Eimear Rose October 19, 2010

When I think I might have a chocolate addiction, I just look to my boyfriend, and I look normal again! I seriously think it’s men who have the chocolate obsession, not women! And by the way, without sounding creepy (I hope), Eric is looking really great in recent photos- I meant to comment to a a recent post where you mentioned his continued pop avoidance. He’s a testament to the power of simply changes:)
Your pizzas look so beautiful. I’m not a pizza fan (not keen on pizza dough) but the toppings do look delicious:)

32 Veronique October 19, 2010

Hi Angela! Your pizza looks really good and I’m gonna try it for sure soon. I had a question regarding working out when it’s cold. I live in Montreal, so I think we have relatively the same cold weather.. What would you suggest that I wear when I go running outside? I don’t mind buying an item if it’s really necessary, but I am also on a student budget !
Thanks for your help :)

33 Helen October 19, 2010

Breakfast pizza! I think I will try this one. Oatmeal breakfast pizza!

34 Janessa October 19, 2010

Oatmeal breakfast pizza is GENIUS!

35 zoe (and the beatles) October 19, 2010

oh my god! stop being so awesome! but don’t really, because then i’d have no fantastic recipes to try ;)! these look so delicious, thanks angela!

36 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad October 19, 2010

My boyfriend makes the most delicious avocado cilantro pizza. It is THE top pizza I’ve ever tasted!

37 Krystina (Organically Me) October 19, 2010

That dessert pizza looks insane! The avocado lime component is really innovative.

38 Nichole October 19, 2010

Dessert pizza? That is such a creative idea – not predictable at all :) I have to learn not to be afraid of making dough and bread!!!!

39 Emily October 19, 2010

Your pizzas look delicious, Angela! Its hard to go wrong with pizza toppings, but I think right now my favorite savory pie involves lots of garlic, feta cheese, roasted broccoli and red pepper flake. Dessert pizza would have to involve chocolate and banana somehow. :)

Hope you have a great one!

40 Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) October 19, 2010

Your dessert pizza is SOOOOO BEAUTIFUL. I feel like I say this every time you post a new recipe, but i can’t help it. ;) I love all of the vibrant colors… and looks like it probably tastes OUT OF THIS WORLD :D

You are an ar-TIST! *spoken with a French accent* ;) -Mary

41 faith @ gracefulfitness October 19, 2010

I had the same experience, after making dough for the first time this summer I became OBSESSED! The possibilities are endless! The dessert pie is beautiful. As far as savory pies, mine have to have some sort of tomato sauce to really satisfy my pizza craving but I did have an amazing one this summer with pesto and caramelized onions and corn. It turns out to be a spectacular combo!

42 Sarah October 19, 2010

You are so creative and innovative!

43 Lauren October 19, 2010

Last night I made the best pizza EVER, which I am newly obsessed with: Peach, Prosciutto, Goat Cheese and Rosemary. Might sound strange but take my word for it — amazing! Adapted from this recipe: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Peach-Prosciutto-and-Goat-Cheese-Pizzas-103716

44 Corey @ the runner's cookie October 19, 2010

That fruit pizza looks absolutely amazing! I want a piece right now :) I think it would be fun to try making a breakfast pizza with a frenchtoast-like crust with some sort of yogurt/fruit topping!

45 Laura @ Backstage Pass October 19, 2010

I think dessert pizzas are where it’s at. As a teenager I worked at Dairy Queen, and we had to make the Treatzza Pizzas. Your fruit pizza reminds me of that, but with a healthy twist!
Perhaps you could try a frozen dessert pizza using banana soft serve as the ‘sauce’ part and your vegan chocolate peanut butter ganache as the drizzle? :-D

46 Emily Elizabeth October 19, 2010

Eric sounds like my husband. I don’t use sugar in my recipes and he’s always saying – “It’s okay, but it would be great with sugar.” Your pizzas look delicious and I can’t wait to try the hummus one! I love all of your recipes and reading your blog. You have been an inspiration to start my own (just published today!). Thank you so much!

47 Maddie October 19, 2010

Oh my gosh! Both of those look delicious! I would have never thought of putting hummus on a pizza but now I want to try :D The fruit pizza also looks great. I love fruit pizzas.

48 Sarah October 19, 2010

I LOVE using hummus as pizza sauce. Trader Joe’s Tomato Basil hummus is divine :) I also love just a plain garlicky hummus pizza topped with artichokes and olives.

I must try the dessert pizza! I love fruit and pizza so it sounds like an amazing pair.

49 christyn @ All Ways Nutritious October 19, 2010

hummus pizza…brilliant!! looks great. love the colors of the dessert pizza.

50 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg October 19, 2010

You’re going to become a (vegan) pizza queen!!! I see a pizza cookbook in your future :-)

I love the idea of that curry-infused crust! Yum!

51 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman October 19, 2010

The hummus pizza looks good, but my goodness that fruit one looks amazing. It reminds me of this fruit tart my aunt always brings to holiday get-togethers.

52 Nic October 19, 2010

I love pizzas! I ate them for an entire weekend once. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. True story. I like your little twist on the fruit pizza with the avacado topping. The pizza sounds tasty and the colors are a knock out!

53 Heather (Heather's Dish) October 19, 2010

it’s official – i NEED these pizzas immediately! beautiful and delicious and healthy – does it get much better?!

54 Amanda (Eating Up) October 19, 2010

Please make the guac pizza! I will be forever thankful! :-)

55 Amanda Davis October 19, 2010

For awhile I’ve been thinking of how delicious a thanksgiving pizza would be….cranberry sauce for the sauce then add dollops of mash potatoes, chunks of sweet potatoes, sage, pecans, turkey…etc

56 Janessa October 19, 2010

That would be awesome! don’t forget the gravy!

57 Amber K October 19, 2010

Something with an actual tasty, chewy crust that doesn’t have the gluten that plagues me! lol, never gonna happen.

But, my favorite toppings are roasted veggies!

58 Katy @ a shot of life October 19, 2010

Hummus pizza is a great idea… and I love how you turned it into appetizers! I’m always looking for ideas like this when I have friends over

59 Dorry October 19, 2010

Both of these pizzas win my heart as fruit and hummus are 2 of my favorite things. Can’t wait to see the guacamole pizza!

60 lisasfoods October 19, 2010

I’m a traditionalist when it comes to pizza. Just give me a Sicilian-style pie with sauce, cheese, and mushrooms, and I’m a happy camper. (And a salad on the side, please.)

61 Shanna October 19, 2010

I am loving the hummus pizza idea! And the curry infused dough. Brilliant.

62 Wei-Wei October 19, 2010

Mmm, hummus! I didn’t see that one coming. I think that your entry this time was great! :D

63 Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa October 19, 2010

Hummus pizza? Once I started eating that I don’t think I could stop! Also that fruit pizza looks delish! I think I need to make that soon – WITHOUT the husband watching me, and then we he declares his love for it, drop the avocado bomb on him and take a photo of his expression. That would be great!

64 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 19, 2010

I love fruit pizzas on cookie crusts — that avocado/lime whip is pure genius. I usually use a cream cheese base (if I am making it for a party) or jam if I make it for us at home :)

I want a Thanksgiving pizza: biscuit crust with mashed sweet potato “sauce” topped with green bean casserole and turkey slices!

65 Kierstan @ Life {and running} in Iowa October 19, 2010

You should make that! For sure would be a hit!

66 Amanda October 19, 2010

I wouldn’t have thought to use avocado in a dessert pizza. Very creative!

67 Alayna @ Thyme Bombe October 19, 2010

Those both look tasty! I would have never thought to do a hummus pizza, sounds great though!

68 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen October 19, 2010

I love making a Pumpkin/Ricotta pizza with fresh sage on a honey whole wheat crust. Yum!

69 GuruBlond July 25, 2012

Don’t tantalize us like this!! RECIPE, PLEASE!!???

70 Lauren October 19, 2010

Haha, Eric’s so cute! :)

71 Stefanie October 19, 2010

Yum! My pizza would have almond butter, sliced apples, and a chocolate drizzle. Maybe make an oat crust instead of wheat. :)

72 Lauren M. October 19, 2010

I love pizza so much that I have a hard time taking putting crazy twists on it. My favorite is simply a classic neopolitan-style margherita pizza: a wood fired charred-crust, thick, bubbling mozzarella slices, homegrown tomatoes, and fresh basil. There’s nothing better.

I’m so glad I’m going to Naples in a week. I’m drooling already.

73 Alexis @ Mission: Ambition October 19, 2010

That fruit pizza looks amazing! And I love the idea of the avocado-lime whip. Bookmarking this one to try sometime for sure :)

74 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 19, 2010

OMG, I don’t think I’ve ever seen such unique and gorgeous looking pizzas! I’m not entirely sure what I’d pick for my pizza combination, but since I usually order salmon as an entree rather than pizza or flatbread when i go out to Italian restaurants, I’m thinking there would be some cedar planked salmon on it!

75 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 19, 2010

I know i said it before, but I LOVE dessert pizza. I think that would be my favorite combo. I also made a brownie pizza once…that was good too!