Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

Pizza is sort of a touchy subject with me lately.

20101016IMG 6585 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

Ordering a vegan pizza at a restaurant can prove to be a bit interesting at times.

Chefs come to the table and try to sweet talk me, pleading with their delicious Italian accent for just a sprinkle of cheese. One time, a chef flat out refused to make his pie without cheese, throwing his hands up in dismay and washing himself clean of impure, cheeseless thoughts.

And this is how a Pizza Complex develops.

And I’m worn down.

20100917IMG 7301b thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

When I found out that the next Project Food Blog challenge was to put a unique spin on pizza, I was scared.

I wanted to run away and never look back. Bye bye, Foodbuzz, it has truly been a slice.

20101017IMG 7376 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

Running away to the woods allowed me to clear my head. Over the course of a few days minutes- and a lot of Pizza Complex Rumination- I felt like myself again. I shouted, “I will show the world that a vegan pizza is not just ‘a worse-tasting pizza without cheese’, but a beautiful work of art!”

And then I screamed like a baby after seeing a creepy man in the bushes with a camera.

20101017IMG 7461 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

Wait. Is that my husband?

Anyways. I found myself in the kitchen once again, ready to conquer my Pizza Complex once and for all…

20101016IMG 6721 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

Roasted Tomato, Onion, and Basil Pesto Pizza with Vegan Parmesan Cheese

Here’s What You’ll Need to prepare:

• Herb-infused Pizza Dough
  • Vegan Parmesan Cheese
  • Vegan Pesto
  • Garlic-infused oil
  • Roasted Tomato, Onion, Garlic, and Basil topping

For instructions, start to finish, see the attached PDF. The dough, cheese, and pesto can be made ahead.

20101016IMG 6431 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

Despite my newfound conviction to rock a vegan pizza, there was one small catch…

20101016IMG 6561 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

I’ve had a few traumatic pizza dough flops in the past.

Making pizza dough that turns into a tough ball of gluten is not something one forgets easily. It haunts you in your sleep until you convince yourself that you can actually live a fairly happy life without ever trying to make pizza dough again.

That is, until this challenge threw me for a loop.

Pizza doh, indeed.

20101016IMG 6557 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

For 6 hours on Friday night I was a student again.

20101017IMG 7301 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

I studied, I practiced, and I vowed to become a Master of Pizza Dough. It turns out making pizza dough is incredibly easy, but my glowing pride was no less. I can also tell you that cocoa powder, chili powder, or nutritional yeast infused pizza dough all taste horrible. Bad, bad things happened.

I would not be here today without my You Tube Pizza Mentor, Albert.

20101016IMG 7264 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

He rules.

Also, to the red wine for making the 10 dough trials seem like I was at an all night rave.

20101016IMG 7288 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

I tested 5 different pizza dough recipes and the one that worked best for me involved no fancy machine or special dough hooks, just some old-fashioned elbow grease!

20101016IMG 6555 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

20101016IMG 6541 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex 20101016IMG 6547 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex 20101016IMG 6548 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex 20101016IMG 6557 thumb1   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex20101016IMG 6561 thumb1   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex 20101016IMG 6563 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

Kneading the dough was hypnotic and calming as I tested batch, after batch.

20101016IMG 6565 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

20101016IMG 6566 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

With each trial, I felt a bit more comfortable with the dough and it actually became fun!

20101016IMG 6576 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex 20101016IMG 6585 thumb1   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

When the dough is ready it will be soft, smooth, and no longer tacky to touch.

20101016IMG 6591 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex 20101016IMG 6612 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

Now, make the sauce and toppings.

20101016IMG 6427 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

I had some CSA tomatoes, onion, garlic, and basil to use up and I figured they would work well together.

20101016IMG 6431 thumb1   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

and chop.

20101016IMG 64072 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

Coat the chopped veggies with a homemade olive oil sauce and roast for about 35-40 minutes at 400F.

20101016IMG 6438 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex 20101016IMG 6512 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

Inhale deeply.

20101016IMG 6628 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

Now whip up the Vegan pesto!

20101016IMG 6376 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex 20101016IMG 6648 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

and then the Vegan parmesan cheese.

20101016IMG 6393 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

20101016IMG 6663 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

The house smells like a dream right about now.

20101016IMG 6664 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex 20101016IMG 6649 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

When your dough is ready, punch the air out one final time.

20101016IMG 6893 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex 20101016IMG 6894 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex 20101016IMG 6895 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex 20101016IMG 6897 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

I tested three popular pizza baking methods:

1) Pizza pan –> Soft crust, soft interior

2) Back of a baking sheet –> Soft crust, soft interior

3) Pizza Stone –> Authentic, crunchy crust, with soft interior

The pizza stone won by a landslide!

20101016IMG 6695 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

Sprinkle cornmeal over your Pizza Peel to prevent sticking.

Now for the part that I was terrified of….shaping the dough!

20101016IMG 6705 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex20101016IMG 6706 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

I found that the best way to work with the dough was to just let gravity do most of the work.

20101016IMG 6704 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex20101016IMG 6707 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

Gently hold and rotate the dough allowing gravity to pull the sides down ever so slightly.

20101016IMG 6719 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex20101016IMG 6721 thumb1   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

When you have something that resembles a circle, place it on your Peel.

20101016IMG 6723 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

Gently spread it out.

20101016IMG 6725 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

Now pinch the sides to form a crust.

20101016IMG 6739 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

20101016IMG 6736 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

Excitement builds.

Spread on the sautéed garlic infused oil to keep the crust moist and flavourful.

20101016IMG 6783 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

Don’t be shy with the pesto. This is the best part!

20101016IMG 6808 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

Now spread on the Roasted Onion, Tomato, Garlic, and Basil mixture.

20101016IMG 6849 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

and finally, a generous dusting of the vegan Parmesan Cheese to finish it off!

20101016IMG 6864 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

Slide the pizza onto your stone which has been pre-heating at 500F for 1 hour.

20101016IMG 6873 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

Magic happens.

20101016IMG 6905 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

I liked what I saw. A lot.

After 15 minutes, your crust will be golden and crisp and your veggies will begin to blacken around the edges.

20101016IMG 6910 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex 20101016IMG 6933 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

It’s time.

20101016IMG 7018 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex 20101016IMG 6980 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex 20101016IMG 7031 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

Your husband, who has been installing hardwood flooring all morning, will magically appear at the right moment.

20101016IMG 7066 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

He salivates and inhales 3 slices of pizza.

20101016IMG 7080 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

The pesto makes a wonderful dip for the thick, crunchy crust.

20101016IMG 7134 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

20101016IMG 7109 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

Pizza Complex Defeated.

20101017IMG 7482 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

Enjoy your delicious pizza while discussing dessert

20101016IMG 7128 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

I tend to get a little carried away at times.

20101015IMG 6342 thumb   Project Food Blog, Challenge #5: A Pizza Complex

This is my official entry for Project Food Blog Challenge #5. Voting begins at 9am EST on Monday October 18th. If you enjoyed this post I would greatly appreciate your votes in carrying me into the next round! Click here to vote. Thank you!

Winnie October 17, 2010

Not sure I have commented before, by your pfb posts have all been really amazing. I am not vegan, but I WANT YOUR PIZZA. Beautiful job, as always!

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad October 17, 2010

Your crust looks better than the crust I buy at Whole Foods! I love pizzas with pesto bases too.

Jenny October 17, 2010

Girl! You Rock! I have to try making pizza your way. I have the opposite of pizza complex, as in I make it all the time. And I am truly lucky that I live by a store that not only makes gluten free crusts (for people who can’t tolerate it, unlike me, but I appreciate the option) but they have vegan pizzas with vegan crusts and vegan cheeze. It is my favorite weekend meal.

Jae October 17, 2010

Angela, this looks AMAZEBALLS :)

You might even reform me, a tomato-hater into one that lurveess it :)

Oh and I totally loved the ending, so quirky! ^^

Emily October 17, 2010

Hello vegan pizza heaven!! It looks gorgeous and amaaazingly good! Awesome job, way to persevere (I would have used the wine, too)!!

DebZ October 17, 2010

i can’t WAIT to vote for this! you so SUCH a beautiful job – truly lovely post. (btw, it rarely even occurs to me to put cheese on my pizza when i’m making it at home. but then again, pizza is often a means for cleaning out the refrigerator around here :)

Ashley October 17, 2010

WOW! I have never ever seen a homemade pizza crust turn out SO perfectly. Awesome job Ange!! Love the bright colors too :)

tina October 17, 2010

omg angela- this looks absolutely AMAZING. i was so excited to see what you’d make since i’m also vegan and know your frustrations… but you definitely delivered!!!!

i. need. to. make. this. asap.

erica October 17, 2010

that pizza looks amazing!!!!
and that picture of you running in the woods is BEAUTIFUL and frame-worthy!!!

Junia October 17, 2010

Seriously, I am in awe of your chef creativity + your photography! Can’t wait to vote for you!

Also, I have never heard of vegan parm! What is it made of?? I miss pizza a tad bit… since I am extremely lactose intolerant, I haven’t had a pizza in ages!

ashley @ ashley's adventures in alaska October 17, 2010

Your pizza looks amazing! Who needs cheese when food is that good? :) This lactose intolerant girl most certainly does not.

christyn @ All Ways Nutritious October 17, 2010

FABULOUS!! i have only made kraft pizza dough from scratch and now i think i will give it a shot…you explain it so well…thank you…it looks absolutely delicious!!! the fruit pizza looks awesome as well. you have my vote!

Claire (Low Impact Fashionista) October 17, 2010

I never was much of a pizza person, looks like things may be changing…especially if dessert pizza is included in the deal ;)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 17, 2010

This looks SO fresh and colorful!! I’m not a huge huge fan of pizza, but I’d gobblie this up in a heart beat- yum!!

Stefanie October 17, 2010

That is the best looking pizza I have seen in a long time. You have my vote. Now I must try to recreate your master piece. :)

Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous October 17, 2010

OMG! That looks insanely delicious. You are so amazing with your patience to create these wonderful, delicious recipes that are vegan but still absolutely wonderful tasting. It is really obvious in your posts that you are doing what you love, and that is so great!

Maddie October 17, 2010

Oh my gosh that pizza looks amazing! I am definitly going to make it soon :D You are truly such an amazing cook, Angela. You inspire me every day to create vegan dishes like your own.
Thanks for sharing this recipe and you have my vote!

Lauren October 17, 2010

Oh my goodness Angela!! This looks beyond amazing!!!!! Wow, not only the most beautiful pizza I’ve ever seen, but it looks out of this world delicious! You are too much girl. Good luck!!!

Kelly October 17, 2010

What a beautiful pizza! Congrats on conquering your fear o’ dough. :)

Mandiee October 17, 2010

Absolutely beautiful! My mom, grandmother, and I love making pizza together, but since I’m vegan, and my mom just cut cheese out of her diet, and my grandmother loves the stuff, pizza making can be a bit hard. However, I think this recipe would satisfy us all. Your pizza looks like a work of art!

Have a lovely day!
xox

Sarah October 17, 2010

Yum, your pizza looks delicious! I haven’t yet conquered my own fear of making homemade pizza- and I’m not vegan. Thanks for taking on the challenge-for all our sakes!

Joslyn @ missfitbliss October 17, 2010

That looks so good! I agree that working dough is very therapeutic and fun. I love the pics of the process – my favorite one is of all the veggies lined up before going to the chopping block:) So vivid.

Camille October 17, 2010

That looks incredible!
The photos are making me salivate :)

Cara Craves... October 17, 2010

Wow Angela!
It looks perfect.
I can tell by the shots of the dough that you mastered it for sure!
Yummers!

Kris October 17, 2010

Gorgeous pizza and LOL at the crazy man in the woods. Cute and too funny!

Cate October 17, 2010

Vegan or not, this looks like the TASTIEST pizza I’ve ever seen. I have a feeling another readers choice award is coming your way!

steph@stephsbitebybite October 17, 2010

You are incredible! I wish I had the baking/cooking stamina that you do. You never get defeated and aren’t scared to be honest about your failures. That’s why I love your site! You prove that sometimes it takes a few tries to get things right. Wish you could package up that pizza and send it to me! :)

Imwaytoobusy October 17, 2010

I would give anything to have your cooking patience! That dessert pizza looks absolutely amazing!

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) October 17, 2010

Oh my gosh, taste aside, that may be the most BEAUTIFUL pizza I’ve seen in my life. Holy colors!

Tiffany @ Eat, Run, Write, Love October 17, 2010

That looks like it was a lot of work, but so worth it. Great job!!!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) October 17, 2010

Holy cooking mojo! Ange, you REALLY rocked this one :D I am in awe of you baking skills these days. What a beautifully fluffy pizza dough. … and the toppings you used. WOW! Brian and I ordered pizza for dinner last night… Do you deliver ? ;P HEHE!

I need one of those wooden paddles to ‘toss’ my pizza in the oven. I would love to see a demo video of you making the dough!

Hope you and Eric had a lovely weekend, -m

Amanda (Sweet and Savory Vegan) October 17, 2010

Plain and simple, your pizza looks divine. I am actually salivating. :-)

Stacie October 17, 2010

I’m salilvating too! THANK YOU for putting this into a PDF file. It’s been saved to my OSG Recipe File :) You’ll be getting my one and only vote on foodbuzz….of course you are the only one deserving of it. Way to pull through! Any pics of the new floor?!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 17, 2010

Thank you!

Pics of new floor coming soon once he has the baseboards installed. :) Its coming together!

Gree October 17, 2010

That looks so good, I admire your resolve, I don’t know that I could test five different dough recipes. Any tips for a gluten free crust? I have tried a number of recipes and I am not happy with any of them and my poor Italian daughter is craving a good dough…I will definitely use the topping recipe, that looks delicious!

Kristy October 17, 2010

That looks amazing, you have my vote!!! I probably would have quit after the 2nd dough so congrats! :) Loved all the pics!!

Amy October 17, 2010

That (or those, I guess) look so great! Just as pretty and colorful after baking as before. I’ll definitely be trying them. :)

Sana October 17, 2010

You have outdone yourself once again!

Alaina October 17, 2010

You.Are.Amazing!!

Kirsten October 17, 2010

Your pizza looks absolutely amazing!! Congratulations on conquering your pizza complex. I wish I could order your pizza right about now! :)

kim October 17, 2010

you are absolutely amazing! that pizza looks soooo yummy!

Page 2 of 5«12345»