High Protein Sweet Potato Dip

I’ve been on a real bean kick lately. Specifically, a navy bean kick.

20101014-IMG_6147 - Copy

I know, yawn.

However, navy beans are quite the versatile bean! They actually blend wonderfully into almost anything they touch without the faintest hint of beany taste. The little black dress of beans, right here.

For example, my High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes have over 3 cups of navy beans hiding in there!

20100908IMG_2684_thumb

And no one suspected it.

And of course yesterday’s, Power Me Up Pumpkin Sesame Cookies are hiding navy beans too. The navy beans give the cookies quite a bit of moisture and softness.

20101014-IMG_6232

This morning, I woke up and something strange happened: I didn’t feel like coffee or vegan overnight oats! What gives?!

I racked my brain to come up with a way to sneak in some protein in the form of navy beans into my breakfast. I had a sweet potato to use up so I decided to make a spin off of my high protein mashed potatoes.

20101015-IMG_6318

High Protein Sweet Potato Dip

Ingredients:

• 1 large sweet potato
  • 1 cup navy beans, drained and rinsed
  • Couple pinches of sea salt*
  • Approx 1 tbsp Pure maple syrup, to taste

Directions: Peel and chop sweet potato into 1 inch chunks. Boil in a pot of water for about 15 minutes until fork tender. Drain and allow to cool for about 5 mins. In a food processor, process all ingredients together until smooth, Serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon and homemade tortilla chips. Makes about 2 cups.

Note: Customize the salt and maple syrup to taste. This dip would probably also work with butternut squash.

20101015-IMG_6319

Homemade Salt-Kissed Tortilla Strips

Ingredients:

• 1 Ezekiel Tortilla
  • Approx 1 tbsp Earth Balance Buttery Spread
  • Couple pinches of Fleur De Sel

Directions: Preheat oven to 375F. Rub Earth Balance all over the tortilla with a pastry brush. Sprinkle with fleur de sel. Cut into strips and place on baking sheet. Bake for about 4-5 minutes, watching carefully so as not to burn.

20101015-IMG_6320

I had to make a Halloween Spider of course. ;)

20101015-IMG_6324

This was a fun little breakfast that would also make a great snack. Next time, I might try making a savoury sweet potato dip by adding minced garlic instead of the maple syrup and rubbing garlic on the tortilla before baking.

20101015-IMG_6327

I have a long day of work ahead of me that will hopefully be broken up with an energizing outdoor workout over lunch! Eric is working from home today so he is going to join me. :)

What are your favourite dips of all time?

1 Nicole (Picky Nicky) October 15, 2010

That looks good enough to eat with a spoon :D
My favourite dip ever has to be homemade hummus, ohhhhyum!

2 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 15, 2010

I love spinach dip spread on a really good piece of bread or a big ass bowl of guac for tortilla chip dipping :)

Thanks for not arranging the pecans into eyes on your spider — that would have creeped me out!

3 Stefanie October 15, 2010

This looks so delish! I have all the ingredients at home too, so this is looking like a possible after work snack. Thanks for the recipe! :)

4 Jamie Langloisr October 15, 2010

this looks so good! I will am going to try it tonight :O)
Favorite dip = hummus for sure!! Especially my recipe for baked hummus delight;

5 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 15, 2010

This may beat the high protein mashed taters! Gotta try.

6 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 15, 2010

Yumm sounds good! One of my favourite dips right now is Butternut Squash Hummus (http://eatspinrunrepeat.wordpress.com/2010/03/03/butternut-squash-hummus/) – it’s savoury and goes well with everything! Your Halloween spider is very cute. Enjoy lunch with Eric! :)

7 JenATX October 15, 2010

my favorite dip is guacamole by FAR. its a staple at every family get together!

8 Corey @ the runner's cookie October 15, 2010

I am loving your ideas for navy beans and definitely want to try one soon – I think it’s gonna be the mashed potatoes :)

9 Emily October 15, 2010

That looks delicious! You are so creative. My favorite dip would have to be Sonny & Joe’s Buffalo Hummus, it’s like hummus with hot sauce. Plus its made locally in Brooklyn so I feel good about supporting them. :)

10 Rachel October 15, 2010

That sounds delicious!
One of my favourite work lunches is a big baked sweet potato topped with black beans (I usually mix a little braggs and rooster (sriracha) sauce into the black beans) and then mix it all together. sweet potato and black beans go together really well.

11 Gloria October 15, 2010

Beans, sweet potatoes, warm comforting food… ahhh I missed fall! Hummus is my life <3

12 Shanna, like Banana October 15, 2010

Brilliant idea and it adds such lovely color to a typical white bean dip!

13 Leanne @ Simplicitlee October 15, 2010

I make a mean spinach & artichoke dip ;)

I also really like artichoke & asiago dips too!

14 rachel October 15, 2010

love the presentation of the dip :) i don’t think i’ve ever had navy beans before, thanks for the tip!
spinach and artichoke dip is probably the best. i also like a garlicky white bean dip.

15 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad October 15, 2010

Hummus is probably my favorite dip. Or maybe salsa. I’ve never really tried navy beans. My favorite bean is the mung bean. Have you tried them? They are dee-lish!

16 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 15, 2010

That’s dinner tonight! Plus herbs, minus maple syrup.

17 Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) October 15, 2010

My favorite dip of all time … hmmm… spinach and artichoke dip!

18 Janna October 15, 2010

I love so many dips! – Hummus, guac, fresh salsa, 7 layer bean dip, baba ghanoush….

I have to try using navy beans in something!

19 Bridget October 15, 2010

My mom makes this amazing black bean dip that is super addictive! I’m also a fan of spinach and artichoke dip, and hummus of course

20 Annie@stronghealthyfit October 15, 2010

Mm looks like a great breakfast! I love sweet potato in any form :-)

21 Dorry October 15, 2010

I love all bean dips and varieties of hummus – it’s so fun to experiment with different flavor combos.

22 Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes October 15, 2010

I love dips ans such like. I certainly will have to try this one! :D

23 Marisa@ Getting Back To Basics October 15, 2010

I would never thought to mix beans in with mashed potatoes! I enjoyed reading some of your recipes and I will be back from time to time to check for new ideas on how to “nutrition up” the foods I eat.

24 Sara October 15, 2010

I love dips, but my guacamole is definitely my favorite! I love that it’s rich and creamy but still healthy! :) (Recipe here: http://amongthetortillas.com/2010/10/05/recipe-guacamole/)

25 Lauren October 15, 2010

This sounds great!

26 hippierunner October 15, 2010

That looks yummy! Food that requires dipping is usually fun!

27 Charlie October 15, 2010

My favorite dip is a cream cheese, sour cream and spinach one that I made a couple of times (not the healthiest one). I might actually make it this week ;).

28 Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 15, 2010

I need to make this!! Perfect!! Although I may try it with pumpkin since I have a boatload of puree already

29 claire October 15, 2010

I love that you’ve been on a navy bean kick! The protein really helps keep us full, doesnt it!
I don’t know if I have a favorite dip…probably hummus or guacamole!

30 GFree_Miel October 15, 2010

You’re so creative with protein. I know I usually have an issue with protein in my diet because I just love starches and carbs so much. But your blog has helped me so much with that. Now, I’m going to bring navy beans into my diet. :D

31 Megan (Braise The Roof) October 15, 2010

I love dips! Adding beans is very smart, too. I love any dip that involves spinach. Or onions. Or cheese (or cheeze). I’m a sucker for dips, what can I say?

I need to find those Ezekial tortillas! Were they in the bread or frozen aisle?

32 Gina October 15, 2010

Sounds so, so good! I love sweet potatoes!
My favorite dip would have to be guacamole!

33 Jessica @ The Process of Healing October 15, 2010

That sounds seriously amazing… I would end up eating the whole batch!

34 Clare @ Fitting It All In October 15, 2010

There is a honey butter at a restaurant in St. Louis called CJ Muggs that is to die for. One time they gave us extra containers to take home:)

I also love my mom’s bean and corn salsa dip. Delicious and perfect for summer bbqs or picnics.

35 Danielle October 15, 2010

My fave dip is guac!

36 AGS October 15, 2010

A couple years ago, I made this wonderful chunky cooked chickpea, tomato, and crushed coriander dip. I’d could barely let it get to room temperature before digging in. Then, I ran out of coriander seeds, got out of rythm, and haven’t made it since. I should go buy more coriander seeds. . .

My mother makes huge batches of pesto throughout the summer, and freezes it so we can have it year round. She also makes a wonderful eggplant dip (similar to baba gonoush, but the Romanian version). I usually wipe her out of whatever is on hand when we go to visit.

37 Amanda Davis October 15, 2010

I love salsa bean dip and spinach dip…so good but soooo dangerous

38 jaime October 15, 2010

Not only a cute recipe, but one with no guilt after you eat it! I love those kind of meals. ;)

39 Krissy October 15, 2010

Mmmm sounds and LOOKS amazing – I am loving all of your ideas and recipes to help up the protein intake :)
Try brushing coconut oil on the tortilla’s – it is SOOO amazing – especially sprinkled with a little cinnamon :)
Love you!! xoxo

40 Dan October 15, 2010

I’m totally making this. It looks awesome!

41 Morgan @ Life After Bagels October 15, 2010

That’s it I’m blending navy beans into everything I make from now on! hahaha

Here’s a question – I totally made the WORST cornbread the other night, I wonder if I could blend beans into cornbread for some nice moist texture?

42 Nichole October 15, 2010

I am getting ready to go to lunch at work and that dip looks amazing. I am actually craving sweet potato dip now! haha

43 Alana October 15, 2010

This looks incredible! My roommates and I are having a fall-themed party this weekend, and this will certainly be an appetizer :)

44 Erin October 15, 2010

If you go savory with the dip, might I suggest some ground coriander or garam masala? Ground coriander is my absolutely fave with sweet potatoes.

My favorite dip probably has to be salsa. Tortilla chips are a delivery vehicle for salsa. I love the low calorie/high flavor combination.

45 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 15, 2010

Great dippy dip!

My fave dip is one I came up with. I call it Raw Vegan Spicy “Doritos” Nacho Cheezy Dip. It’s a variation on a theme of my kale chip coating dip and other raw cheeze dips/spreads that I have (anything with nooch + red pepper is already off to a good start for me) but I spiced it up in an effort to create a Doritos taste b/c I used to love them back in the day….

So glad I am at home today :)

46 Camille October 15, 2010

This dip sounds awesome!
I love sweet potatoes to the death!

47 Cathy Breit October 15, 2010

Let me be the first to say a great big CONGRATULATIONS!!! Reader choice, again! way to go, girl!
love,
Cathy B. @ brightbakes

48 Andi Murray October 15, 2010

YAY!!! So exciting. I just saw it as well, and couldnt make it here fast enought to say CONGRATS!!!!

You totally deserve it

49 Jennifer @ Maple n Cornbread October 15, 2010

Really great dip Angela!!

50 Melissa Goldfuss October 15, 2010

CONGRATULATIONS on winning Reader’s Choice, yet again! You definitely deserve it!

My favorite dip is guacamole, which I thought was “gross” up until this summer (I had never even tried it). I used your pumpkin bowl idea for dinner tonight… I filled it with butternut squash soup and it looked adorable!

51 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 15, 2010

That looks REALLY good! I want to try iit!

52 Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble October 15, 2010

I’ll have to try your protein mashed potatoes. Those look amazing. Mashed potatoes are total comfort food for me and I love ways to pack them with protein!

53 mcgilliskitchen October 15, 2010

I love navy beans too! I’ve only tried this recipe once and I feel like it needed a little tweak, but it’s a good idea…you could veganize it for sure.

Navy Bean Alfredo Sauce

1 can navy beans rinsed and drained
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup bell pepper, diced
1/3 cup onion, diced
¼ cup parmesan
1 tsp dried oregano
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
¼ tsp nutmeg

Saute peppers and onions, add remaining ingredients and warm throughout. Puree with an immersion blender.

54 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 15, 2010

ooooo sounds awesome!

55 eatmovelove October 15, 2010

HUMMUS. Period.

Did you come up with that and make it all before breakfast??! You must have a lot of time in the morning!! :)

56 Angela (Oh She Glows) October 15, 2010

i get up earrrrrly lol

57 Meesh October 15, 2010

I actually saw navy beans at the grocery store today and thought of you. I really should try them – I know that anything coming from this site is bound to be delicious!

58 stephanie a. October 15, 2010

again, kudos on another beautifully composed post.

my new fave is chef chloe’s white bean garlic dip (it is veerrrrry garlicky, so don’t eat it on date night). it can be found here: http://www.chefchloe.com/blog/2-blog/37-flatbread-with-roasted-apple-butternut-squash-and-caramelized-onion.html

she uses it as a cheesy spread, and it is amazing!

59 Moni'sMeals October 15, 2010

This looks great! the title sucked me in. ;)

My favorite dips are fondue dips, hummus, bean dips, french onion dip. It of course is all about the chips/veggies that get used too to go for the ride!

60 Diana @ frontyardfoodie October 15, 2010

Yum Yum Yum Yum.

I love how you use beans so creatively in recipes. This looks amazing!

61 Amber K October 16, 2010

Hummus, bean dips, veggie spreads, who could pick?

62 caronae October 16, 2010

That is the cutest brekkie ever! I love making meals into animal shapes. So much fun! Who said eating had to be boring?

63 Cara Craves... October 16, 2010

What a great appetizer!
You are full of inspiration…I love your ideas.

64 Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life October 16, 2010

I really like the idea of a sweet patato dip with hidden navy beans for protein! It looks really good!

65 Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free October 16, 2010

That looks so good, and I have a lonely can of white beans sitting in my cabinet!

By the way, Congrats on winning the reader’s choice award!!! Good job, girl!

66 Kristen October 16, 2010

That looks really good. I want to make some chips.