High Protein Sweet Potato Dip

I’ve been on a real bean kick lately. Specifically, a navy bean kick.

20101014-IMG_6147 - Copy

I know, yawn.

However, navy beans are quite the versatile bean! They actually blend wonderfully into almost anything they touch without the faintest hint of beany taste. The little black dress of beans, right here.

For example, my High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes have over 3 cups of navy beans hiding in there!

20100908IMG_2684_thumb

And no one suspected it.

And of course yesterday’s, Power Me Up Pumpkin Sesame Cookies are hiding navy beans too. The navy beans give the cookies quite a bit of moisture and softness.

20101014-IMG_6232

This morning, I woke up and something strange happened: I didn’t feel like coffee or vegan overnight oats! What gives?!

I racked my brain to come up with a way to sneak in some protein in the form of navy beans into my breakfast. I had a sweet potato to use up so I decided to make a spin off of my high protein mashed potatoes.

20101015-IMG_6318

High Protein Sweet Potato Dip

Ingredients:

• 1 large sweet potato
  • 1 cup navy beans, drained and rinsed
  • Couple pinches of sea salt*
  • Approx 1 tbsp Pure maple syrup, to taste

Directions: Peel and chop sweet potato into 1 inch chunks. Boil in a pot of water for about 15 minutes until fork tender. Drain and allow to cool for about 5 mins. In a food processor, process all ingredients together until smooth, Serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon and homemade tortilla chips. Makes about 2 cups.

Note: Customize the salt and maple syrup to taste. This dip would probably also work with butternut squash.

20101015-IMG_6319

Homemade Salt-Kissed Tortilla Strips

Ingredients:

• 1 Ezekiel Tortilla
  • Approx 1 tbsp Earth Balance Buttery Spread
  • Couple pinches of Fleur De Sel

Directions: Preheat oven to 375F. Rub Earth Balance all over the tortilla with a pastry brush. Sprinkle with fleur de sel. Cut into strips and place on baking sheet. Bake for about 4-5 minutes, watching carefully so as not to burn.

20101015-IMG_6320

I had to make a Halloween Spider of course. ;)

20101015-IMG_6324

This was a fun little breakfast that would also make a great snack. Next time, I might try making a savoury sweet potato dip by adding minced garlic instead of the maple syrup and rubbing garlic on the tortilla before baking.

20101015-IMG_6327

I have a long day of work ahead of me that will hopefully be broken up with an energizing outdoor workout over lunch! Eric is working from home today so he is going to join me. :)

What are your favourite dips of all time?

Page 2 of 2«12
Kristen October 16, 2010

That looks really good. I want to make some chips.

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free October 16, 2010

That looks so good, and I have a lonely can of white beans sitting in my cabinet!

By the way, Congrats on winning the reader’s choice award!!! Good job, girl!

Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life October 16, 2010

I really like the idea of a sweet patato dip with hidden navy beans for protein! It looks really good!

Cara Craves... October 16, 2010

What a great appetizer!
You are full of inspiration…I love your ideas.

caronae October 16, 2010

That is the cutest brekkie ever! I love making meals into animal shapes. So much fun! Who said eating had to be boring?

Amber K October 16, 2010

Hummus, bean dips, veggie spreads, who could pick?

Diana @ frontyardfoodie October 15, 2010

Yum Yum Yum Yum.

I love how you use beans so creatively in recipes. This looks amazing!

Moni'sMeals October 15, 2010

This looks great! the title sucked me in. ;)

My favorite dips are fondue dips, hummus, bean dips, french onion dip. It of course is all about the chips/veggies that get used too to go for the ride!

stephanie a. October 15, 2010

again, kudos on another beautifully composed post.

my new fave is chef chloe’s white bean garlic dip (it is veerrrrry garlicky, so don’t eat it on date night). it can be found here: http://www.chefchloe.com/blog/2-blog/37-flatbread-with-roasted-apple-butternut-squash-and-caramelized-onion.html

she uses it as a cheesy spread, and it is amazing!

Meesh October 15, 2010

I actually saw navy beans at the grocery store today and thought of you. I really should try them – I know that anything coming from this site is bound to be delicious!

eatmovelove October 15, 2010

HUMMUS. Period.

Did you come up with that and make it all before breakfast??! You must have a lot of time in the morning!! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 15, 2010

i get up earrrrrly lol

mcgilliskitchen October 15, 2010

I love navy beans too! I’ve only tried this recipe once and I feel like it needed a little tweak, but it’s a good idea…you could veganize it for sure.

Navy Bean Alfredo Sauce

1 can navy beans rinsed and drained
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup bell pepper, diced
1/3 cup onion, diced
¼ cup parmesan
1 tsp dried oregano
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
¼ tsp nutmeg

Saute peppers and onions, add remaining ingredients and warm throughout. Puree with an immersion blender.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 15, 2010

ooooo sounds awesome!

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble October 15, 2010

I’ll have to try your protein mashed potatoes. Those look amazing. Mashed potatoes are total comfort food for me and I love ways to pack them with protein!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 15, 2010

That looks REALLY good! I want to try iit!

Melissa Goldfuss October 15, 2010

CONGRATULATIONS on winning Reader’s Choice, yet again! You definitely deserve it!

My favorite dip is guacamole, which I thought was “gross” up until this summer (I had never even tried it). I used your pumpkin bowl idea for dinner tonight… I filled it with butternut squash soup and it looked adorable!

Jennifer @ Maple n Cornbread October 15, 2010

Really great dip Angela!!

Cathy Breit October 15, 2010

Let me be the first to say a great big CONGRATULATIONS!!! Reader choice, again! way to go, girl!
love,
Cathy B. @ brightbakes

Andi Murray October 15, 2010

YAY!!! So exciting. I just saw it as well, and couldnt make it here fast enought to say CONGRATS!!!!

You totally deserve it

Camille October 15, 2010

This dip sounds awesome!
I love sweet potatoes to the death!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 15, 2010

Great dippy dip!

My fave dip is one I came up with. I call it Raw Vegan Spicy “Doritos” Nacho Cheezy Dip. It’s a variation on a theme of my kale chip coating dip and other raw cheeze dips/spreads that I have (anything with nooch + red pepper is already off to a good start for me) but I spiced it up in an effort to create a Doritos taste b/c I used to love them back in the day….

So glad I am at home today :)

Erin October 15, 2010

If you go savory with the dip, might I suggest some ground coriander or garam masala? Ground coriander is my absolutely fave with sweet potatoes.

My favorite dip probably has to be salsa. Tortilla chips are a delivery vehicle for salsa. I love the low calorie/high flavor combination.

Alana October 15, 2010

This looks incredible! My roommates and I are having a fall-themed party this weekend, and this will certainly be an appetizer :)

Nichole October 15, 2010

I am getting ready to go to lunch at work and that dip looks amazing. I am actually craving sweet potato dip now! haha

Morgan @ Life After Bagels October 15, 2010

That’s it I’m blending navy beans into everything I make from now on! hahaha

Here’s a question – I totally made the WORST cornbread the other night, I wonder if I could blend beans into cornbread for some nice moist texture?