High Protein Sweet Potato Dip

I’ve been on a real bean kick lately. Specifically, a navy bean kick.

20101014IMG 6147Copy thumb   High Protein Sweet Potato Dip

I know, yawn.

However, navy beans are quite the versatile bean! They actually blend wonderfully into almost anything they touch without the faintest hint of beany taste. The little black dress of beans, right here.

For example, my High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes have over 3 cups of navy beans hiding in there!

20100908IMG 2684 thumb thumb1   High Protein Sweet Potato Dip

And no one suspected it.

And of course yesterday’s, Power Me Up Pumpkin Sesame Cookies are hiding navy beans too. The navy beans give the cookies quite a bit of moisture and softness.

20101014IMG 6232 thumb1   High Protein Sweet Potato Dip

This morning, I woke up and something strange happened: I didn’t feel like coffee or vegan overnight oats! What gives?!

I racked my brain to come up with a way to sneak in some protein in the form of navy beans into my breakfast. I had a sweet potato to use up so I decided to make a spin off of my high protein mashed potatoes.

20101015IMG 6318 thumb   High Protein Sweet Potato Dip

High Protein Sweet Potato Dip

Ingredients:

• 1 large sweet potato
  • 1 cup navy beans, drained and rinsed
  • Couple pinches of sea salt*
  • Approx 1 tbsp Pure maple syrup, to taste

Directions: Peel and chop sweet potato into 1 inch chunks. Boil in a pot of water for about 15 minutes until fork tender. Drain and allow to cool for about 5 mins. In a food processor, process all ingredients together until smooth, Serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon and homemade tortilla chips. Makes about 2 cups.

Note: Customize the salt and maple syrup to taste. This dip would probably also work with butternut squash.

20101015IMG 6319 thumb   High Protein Sweet Potato Dip

Homemade Salt-Kissed Tortilla Strips

Ingredients:

• 1 Ezekiel Tortilla
  • Approx 1 tbsp Earth Balance Buttery Spread
  • Couple pinches of Fleur De Sel

Directions: Preheat oven to 375F. Rub Earth Balance all over the tortilla with a pastry brush. Sprinkle with fleur de sel. Cut into strips and place on baking sheet. Bake for about 4-5 minutes, watching carefully so as not to burn.

20101015IMG 6320 thumb   High Protein Sweet Potato Dip

I had to make a Halloween Spider of course. ;)

20101015IMG 6324 thumb   High Protein Sweet Potato Dip

This was a fun little breakfast that would also make a great snack. Next time, I might try making a savoury sweet potato dip by adding minced garlic instead of the maple syrup and rubbing garlic on the tortilla before baking.

20101015IMG 6327 thumb   High Protein Sweet Potato Dip

I have a long day of work ahead of me that will hopefully be broken up with an energizing outdoor workout over lunch! Eric is working from home today so he is going to join me. :)

What are your favourite dips of all time?

Nicole (Picky Nicky) October 15, 2010

That looks good enough to eat with a spoon :D
My favourite dip ever has to be homemade hummus, ohhhhyum!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 15, 2010

I love spinach dip spread on a really good piece of bread or a big ass bowl of guac for tortilla chip dipping :)

Thanks for not arranging the pecans into eyes on your spider — that would have creeped me out!

Stefanie October 15, 2010

This looks so delish! I have all the ingredients at home too, so this is looking like a possible after work snack. Thanks for the recipe! :)

Jamie Langloisr October 15, 2010

this looks so good! I will am going to try it tonight :O)
Favorite dip = hummus for sure!! Especially my recipe for baked hummus delight;

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 15, 2010

This may beat the high protein mashed taters! Gotta try.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 15, 2010

Yumm sounds good! One of my favourite dips right now is Butternut Squash Hummus (http://eatspinrunrepeat.wordpress.com/2010/03/03/butternut-squash-hummus/) – it’s savoury and goes well with everything! Your Halloween spider is very cute. Enjoy lunch with Eric! :)

JenATX October 15, 2010

my favorite dip is guacamole by FAR. its a staple at every family get together!

Corey @ the runner's cookie October 15, 2010

I am loving your ideas for navy beans and definitely want to try one soon – I think it’s gonna be the mashed potatoes :)

Emily October 15, 2010

That looks delicious! You are so creative. My favorite dip would have to be Sonny & Joe’s Buffalo Hummus, it’s like hummus with hot sauce. Plus its made locally in Brooklyn so I feel good about supporting them. :)

Rachel October 15, 2010

That sounds delicious!
One of my favourite work lunches is a big baked sweet potato topped with black beans (I usually mix a little braggs and rooster (sriracha) sauce into the black beans) and then mix it all together. sweet potato and black beans go together really well.

Gloria October 15, 2010

Beans, sweet potatoes, warm comforting food… ahhh I missed fall! Hummus is my life <3

Shanna, like Banana October 15, 2010

Brilliant idea and it adds such lovely color to a typical white bean dip!

Leanne @ Simplicitlee October 15, 2010

I make a mean spinach & artichoke dip ;)

I also really like artichoke & asiago dips too!

rachel October 15, 2010

love the presentation of the dip :) i don’t think i’ve ever had navy beans before, thanks for the tip!
spinach and artichoke dip is probably the best. i also like a garlicky white bean dip.

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad October 15, 2010

Hummus is probably my favorite dip. Or maybe salsa. I’ve never really tried navy beans. My favorite bean is the mung bean. Have you tried them? They are dee-lish!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 15, 2010

That’s dinner tonight! Plus herbs, minus maple syrup.

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) October 15, 2010

My favorite dip of all time … hmmm… spinach and artichoke dip!

Janna October 15, 2010

I love so many dips! – Hummus, guac, fresh salsa, 7 layer bean dip, baba ghanoush….

I have to try using navy beans in something!

Bridget October 15, 2010

My mom makes this amazing black bean dip that is super addictive! I’m also a fan of spinach and artichoke dip, and hummus of course

Annie@stronghealthyfit October 15, 2010

Mm looks like a great breakfast! I love sweet potato in any form :-)

Dorry October 15, 2010

I love all bean dips and varieties of hummus – it’s so fun to experiment with different flavor combos.

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes October 15, 2010

I love dips ans such like. I certainly will have to try this one! :D

Marisa@ Getting Back To Basics October 15, 2010

I would never thought to mix beans in with mashed potatoes! I enjoyed reading some of your recipes and I will be back from time to time to check for new ideas on how to “nutrition up” the foods I eat.

Sara October 15, 2010

I love dips, but my guacamole is definitely my favorite! I love that it’s rich and creamy but still healthy! :) (Recipe here: http://amongthetortillas.com/2010/10/05/recipe-guacamole/)

Lauren October 15, 2010

This sounds great!

hippierunner October 15, 2010

That looks yummy! Food that requires dipping is usually fun!

Charlie October 15, 2010

My favorite dip is a cream cheese, sour cream and spinach one that I made a couple of times (not the healthiest one). I might actually make it this week ;).

Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 15, 2010

I need to make this!! Perfect!! Although I may try it with pumpkin since I have a boatload of puree already

claire October 15, 2010

I love that you’ve been on a navy bean kick! The protein really helps keep us full, doesnt it!
I don’t know if I have a favorite dip…probably hummus or guacamole!

GFree_Miel October 15, 2010

You’re so creative with protein. I know I usually have an issue with protein in my diet because I just love starches and carbs so much. But your blog has helped me so much with that. Now, I’m going to bring navy beans into my diet. :D

Megan (Braise The Roof) October 15, 2010

I love dips! Adding beans is very smart, too. I love any dip that involves spinach. Or onions. Or cheese (or cheeze). I’m a sucker for dips, what can I say?

I need to find those Ezekial tortillas! Were they in the bread or frozen aisle?

Gina October 15, 2010

Sounds so, so good! I love sweet potatoes!
My favorite dip would have to be guacamole!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing October 15, 2010

That sounds seriously amazing… I would end up eating the whole batch!

Clare @ Fitting It All In October 15, 2010

There is a honey butter at a restaurant in St. Louis called CJ Muggs that is to die for. One time they gave us extra containers to take home:)

I also love my mom’s bean and corn salsa dip. Delicious and perfect for summer bbqs or picnics.

Danielle October 15, 2010

My fave dip is guac!

AGS October 15, 2010

A couple years ago, I made this wonderful chunky cooked chickpea, tomato, and crushed coriander dip. I’d could barely let it get to room temperature before digging in. Then, I ran out of coriander seeds, got out of rythm, and haven’t made it since. I should go buy more coriander seeds. . .

My mother makes huge batches of pesto throughout the summer, and freezes it so we can have it year round. She also makes a wonderful eggplant dip (similar to baba gonoush, but the Romanian version). I usually wipe her out of whatever is on hand when we go to visit.

Amanda Davis October 15, 2010

I love salsa bean dip and spinach dip…so good but soooo dangerous

jaime October 15, 2010

Not only a cute recipe, but one with no guilt after you eat it! I love those kind of meals. ;)

Krissy October 15, 2010

Mmmm sounds and LOOKS amazing – I am loving all of your ideas and recipes to help up the protein intake :)
Try brushing coconut oil on the tortilla’s – it is SOOO amazing – especially sprinkled with a little cinnamon :)
Love you!! xoxo

Dan October 15, 2010

I’m totally making this. It looks awesome!

Page 1 of 212»