Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

Good evening :)

Today was a whirlwind, but a productive whirlwind. I think this gorgeous weather is helping me get my groove back…!

20101007IMG 2157 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

It felt like Summer out there today!

My running jacket and gloves were left behind for a tank top and shorts. Sa-weet.

The run:

• Distance: 4 miles
  • Time: 33:29
  • Avg pace: 8:20 min/mile
  • Splits: 8:38, 8:25, 8:13, 7:52

I’m currently shopping for my first 5km race! Hopefully I can find one in October. :)

My reward was a dinner that only dreams are made of…

20101007IMG 4582 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

Folks, start your engines.

Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

Adapted from Emily @ The Front Burner.

Ingredients:

• 3 mini pumpkins
  • 1 medium sweet onions, diced
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 red bell peppers, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 small butternut squash, cubed
  • 2 cups black beans (1 lg can), drained and rinsed
  • 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
  • 1 tbsp chili powder (or more to taste)
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • Sea salt, Spicy Herbamare, and pepper to taste

Directions: Preheat oven to 350F. Take mini pumpkin and slice the top off about 3/4 of the way up. Scoop out insides of the pumpkin using a grapefruit spoon. This part takes a long time- about 10 minutes per pumpkin so budget your time wisely. Save and rinse the pumpkin seeds to roast them with some olive oil and salt if desired. When your pumpkin’s are empty and cleaned out, brush the insides with olive oil and sprinkle on sea salt and ground pepper to your heart’s content. You will be eating the pumpkin flesh so you want it to taste delicious! Now pop your pumpkins onto a baking pan and into the oven for 30 minutes. While they are roasting in the oven, make the chili. In a large pot, add the oil and turn heat to medium. Add chopped onion and minced garlic and sauté the onion for about 5 minutes or so. Reduce heat if necessary to avoid burning. Now add the chopped pepper and butternut squash. Cook for about 12-15 minutes. Now add in the drained and rinsed beans, diced tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, paprika, vegetable broth, and S & P and stir well. Simmer on low-medium for another 5 minutes. Now remove your pumpkins from the oven and fill the bowls 3/4 of the way full. Place pumpkins carefully back into the oven (again without top) and bake for another 30 minutes. Once they are cooked, turn oven off and leave pumpkins in the oven with lid on to stay warm. They will stay hot in the oven for another hour if necessary. Serves 3.

Only during the Fall could you take your centrepiece and turn it into DINNER!

20101007IMG 4522 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

20101007IMG 4530 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

Did I tell you the other day I Googled: ‘Is it possible to eat too much pumpkin?’

I’m not proud of this.

20101007IMG 4531 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

I did not have a grapefruit spoon so scooping out the inside of the pumpkin proved to be rather difficult.

And by rather difficult, I mean that I wanted to poke my eyes out because it took so long.

20101007IMG 4535 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

Those pumpkin guts are ruthless I tell you! So many strings so little time.

But luckily this recipe is well worth the effort.

You simply cannot go wrong with the ingredients in this recipe. It’s like they were created to be together, working in harmony in this chili.

20101007IMG 4542 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

After adding the diced tomatoes, veggie broth, seasonings, etc…

20101007IMG 4552 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

20101007IMG 4562 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

20101007IMG 4587 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

My house smelled so delicious, I thought I was in Martha’s studio for a minute! Not that I know what Martha’s studio would smell like, but trust me, I have dreamed about it.

20101007IMG 4556 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

Ok, now I just sound creepy.

20101007IMG 4555 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

Fill it up about 3/4 of the way (not as much as I did!).

My overflowing pumpkin chili made for quite the juggling act when I carried it onto the deck for the photoshoot. I’m pretty sure I would have let my SLR drop before this bowl of chili too. ;)

20101007IMG 4570 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

Every good bowl of pumpkin chili needs a hat.

20101007IMG 4572 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

The awesome thing about these chili bowls is that they trap in a ton of heat!!!

20101007IMG 4573 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

As a result, I think this was the first hot meal I have had in a while. ;)

20101007IMG 4584 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

In case you are wondering, you most certainly eat the inside of the pumpkin! It was so delicious scooping a bit of the pumpkin flesh along with the chili into one delicious bite.

20101007IMG 4585 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

In conclusion:

1) One of my favourite Fall dinners yet.

2) Please make this weekend. You will oooooo, you will ahhh, you will shed a tear of delight. Or maybe that’s just me.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 8, 2010

Just when I thought your recipes couldn’t get any better… ;) I’ve been craving a good, hearty chili lately!

Kristin (Cook, Bake, Nibble) October 8, 2010

Mmm, looks fantastic! I will have to try this. You executed it beautifully! I always love your pictures.

xo
Kris

Wei-Wei October 8, 2010

That’s so creative and so cute! You can’t eat the peel though…?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 8, 2010

Not sure but I dont think I would want to ;)

Lauren October 8, 2010

Girl, you are getting so fast!!

And that chili looks amazing. Anything eaten from a pumpkin is brilliant. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 8, 2010

I REALLY wanted my dinner. lol

jaime October 8, 2010

Yummy and cute!

Sarah @ Long Legs Healthy Life October 8, 2010

Those pumpkin bowls are too cute, especially the lids! What a great thanksgiving dish.

My neck of the woods is a little far for you to drive, but I’m running a 5k on Oct 24th! I also think there is another TO women’s run that weekend, a 5k and a 5 miler I believe.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul October 8, 2010

This is such a beautiful meal!

Claire (Low Impact Fashionista) October 8, 2010

I didn’t think chili could get any better…but then you all went and put it in a pumpkin. I think my life just got ten times better by putting this recipe on the “to make immediately” list!

laura October 8, 2010

there’s a couple of 5kms i know of this month:
http://www.4tmiler.ca/default.aspx (I’m tossing around the idea of doing the 10 miler, but I’m currently registered for the 10km Zoo Run so do I want two races that close?!!)

bonnie October 8, 2010

AH! i totally have to make this! the hubby LOVES chili… and this looks amazing!

bonnie October 8, 2010

AH! i totally have to make this! the hubby LOVES chili… and this looks amazing!

Laura October 8, 2010

Oh yum, that looks amazing! So many of the pumpkin recipes I see are sweet, but i just love love love the savory ones.

That said, I have a cookie recipe I’d love your help turning into a pumpkin treat!

Shanna, Like Banana October 8, 2010

So professional! I love the little pumpkin hats. This is a great idea :)

Anna October 8, 2010

OH MY GOODNESS – ever since you’ve posted this recipe all I’ve been doing is thinking about this chili. I may or may not have dreamed about it last night. This is everything I love about a meal – nothing too complicated/fancy but delicious, flavorful, and beautifully presented! Not to mention I can’t seem to get rid of my pumpkin addiction. Thank you for the wonderful idea!

Andrea (@ Puppy Dog Tales) October 8, 2010

My in-laws are coming this weekend to watch my son’s soccer game. I may just have to serve this up…they’ll be very impressed. It looks wonderful!!!!!!!!

Carolyn @ lovinlosing October 8, 2010

That sounds like a fantastic idea for a dinner party!

Melody October 8, 2010

My jaw just about dropped to the floor when I read this. I LOVE pumpkin…and the chance to make it into a bowl for chili, which by the way sounds amazing, it’s just too much! :D

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine October 8, 2010

I’m making dinner for my family this weekend and I was going to make your spelt burgers….buuuuut this might take their place. I know you’ll approve!!

Bridget October 8, 2010

Those are just the cutest little pumpkins! Too cute to eat maybe?? Nah. This one’s a winner. Great job :) I’ll have to try it!

Alaina October 8, 2010

Eating out of a fun bowl is well….fun! Sounds like a delicous meal. :-)

Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life October 8, 2010

Wow, besides making pumpkin butter this weekend, I think I need to make this one too! Looks fantastic!

Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life October 8, 2010

Deah October 8, 2010

O.M.G. That looks AHmazing! I must try!

Marathon Bound Gal aka Grace October 8, 2010

We are having a chili cook-off at our office on the 14th, I may just have to wow these folks with a fall chili like this! Woohoo!

Amanda-Vegan in Salem October 8, 2010

I am going to try this next weekend! I have been reading all of your recipes and past posts, and I have to say, your blog is awesome! Keep it up!

Amanda-Vegan in Salem

Julia October 8, 2010

Hey! I just wanted to tell you that while your photos always look awesome…. these ones in particular are just GORGEOUS. And I really want some pumpkin chili!!

Dani October 8, 2010

I ate too much pumpkin (and other orange vegetables) when I was a baby and turned orange. Seriously!

… I may be headed down the same path again, hahah

Vicky @ eat live spin October 8, 2010

My mom said I ate so much sweet potatoes when I started to eat solid food as a baby that I turned orange too!

I love the presentation of the chili! I made another batch of my veggie chili… but I think I will try some version of this one this fall.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 8, 2010

“Those pumpkin guts are ruthless I tell you! So many strings so little time. “–

Omg so true!!! Carving a pumpkin is the same way. The strings just go on and on and on and on….But worth it in the end!

The little pumpkins..oh wow. My daughter would be in heaven!!! We went to the store and got a mini pumpkin for like 99 cents last week and she cherishes that little pumpkin like it’s her whole world. It’s the little things when you’re 3 :)

The recipe looks divine and the presentation…IN pumpkins. Wow. You rock!!!!
p.s. Saw your twitter tweet at me…from like 3 days ago. I am twitter retarded. As in, I can barely even make a tweet, let alone read half of them LOL

Jenny October 8, 2010

That is such a good idea!

Nancy October 8, 2010

There’s the 5k Oktoberfest run here in my city next weekend. You should look into it!

Moni's Meals October 8, 2010

Wow! Looks like heaven to me. I love eating out of pumpkin bowls and squash bowls. :)

Jessica@tastyandtrim October 8, 2010

I think you read my mind. I was just thinking about how I wanted to find a delicious chili-style recipe to fill in mini pumpkins. Now I don’t even have to look! Thanks so much for the recipe :)

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods October 8, 2010

This recipe is not only festive, but absolutely genious! Thank you for sharing!

Natasha October 8, 2010

The pumpkin chili is so pretty!!!
I wish I had the time to make this to bring to our family’s Thanksgivng dinner this weekend!!!

Wendy @ Seriously Sassy October 8, 2010

That. Looks. So. GOOD!
I have an allergy to pumpkin innards (not when I eat them, thank you Lord – just when I touch raw ones and then touch anywhere on my face). I would have to scrub my hands like NUTS after scooping the pumpkins. Just might be worth it, though. YUM!

Lisa October 8, 2010

I love edible bowls!

Megan October 8, 2010

those pictures are gorgeous!

I love your blog and have been following it for the past year. I’m a sophomore in college and was just diagnosed with mono-I was wondering if you had any good immunity boosting recipes? I need to get better soon!

Kelly October 8, 2010

Oh my gosh that was a phenomenal dinner! I read this post this morning, you said to make the recipe this weekend and so I did! I made it for dinner tonight and it was so incredibly delicious. However, my pumpkin bowl became way too soggy while cooking, so when I tried to lift it off the cookie sheet, the entire pumpkin bottom fell apart. It was a HUGE mess (although totally salvageable because we just ate the chili in regular bowls). Any hints how I could prevent this next time? I’d love to be able to serve it in the pumpkins.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 9, 2010

Oh dear, sorry that happened to you!

My advice would be to cook the chili longer in the pot and for less time in the pumpkin :) Also maybe dont scrape the bottom down as much as you normally would?

Paula October 8, 2010

Oh my goodness!! That is picture perfect! I would love to make this very soon. Just getting in to the Fall swing today. Wreath up and pumpkin bread baking at this moment. :)

Jennifer @ Maple n Cornbread October 8, 2010

It’s totally different over here on the other side of the country… my run this morning was in the 30′s! Brrr! But I sure would of loved to warm up to this amazing looking chili!!!

Page 2 of 3«123»