Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

Good evening :)

Today was a whirlwind, but a productive whirlwind. I think this gorgeous weather is helping me get my groove back…!

20101007IMG 2157 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

It felt like Summer out there today!

My running jacket and gloves were left behind for a tank top and shorts. Sa-weet.

The run:

• Distance: 4 miles
  • Time: 33:29
  • Avg pace: 8:20 min/mile
  • Splits: 8:38, 8:25, 8:13, 7:52

I’m currently shopping for my first 5km race! Hopefully I can find one in October. :)

My reward was a dinner that only dreams are made of…

20101007IMG 4582 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

Folks, start your engines.

Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

Adapted from Emily @ The Front Burner.

Ingredients:

• 3 mini pumpkins
  • 1 medium sweet onions, diced
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 red bell peppers, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 small butternut squash, cubed
  • 2 cups black beans (1 lg can), drained and rinsed
  • 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
  • 1 tbsp chili powder (or more to taste)
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • 4 cups vegetable broth
  • Sea salt, Spicy Herbamare, and pepper to taste

Directions: Preheat oven to 350F. Take mini pumpkin and slice the top off about 3/4 of the way up. Scoop out insides of the pumpkin using a grapefruit spoon. This part takes a long time- about 10 minutes per pumpkin so budget your time wisely. Save and rinse the pumpkin seeds to roast them with some olive oil and salt if desired. When your pumpkin’s are empty and cleaned out, brush the insides with olive oil and sprinkle on sea salt and ground pepper to your heart’s content. You will be eating the pumpkin flesh so you want it to taste delicious! Now pop your pumpkins onto a baking pan and into the oven for 30 minutes. While they are roasting in the oven, make the chili. In a large pot, add the oil and turn heat to medium. Add chopped onion and minced garlic and sauté the onion for about 5 minutes or so. Reduce heat if necessary to avoid burning. Now add the chopped pepper and butternut squash. Cook for about 12-15 minutes. Now add in the drained and rinsed beans, diced tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, paprika, vegetable broth, and S & P and stir well. Simmer on low-medium for another 5 minutes. Now remove your pumpkins from the oven and fill the bowls 3/4 of the way full. Place pumpkins carefully back into the oven (again without top) and bake for another 30 minutes. Once they are cooked, turn oven off and leave pumpkins in the oven with lid on to stay warm. They will stay hot in the oven for another hour if necessary. Serves 3.

Only during the Fall could you take your centrepiece and turn it into DINNER!

20101007IMG 4522 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

20101007IMG 4530 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

Did I tell you the other day I Googled: ‘Is it possible to eat too much pumpkin?’

I’m not proud of this.

20101007IMG 4531 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

I did not have a grapefruit spoon so scooping out the inside of the pumpkin proved to be rather difficult.

And by rather difficult, I mean that I wanted to poke my eyes out because it took so long.

20101007IMG 4535 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

Those pumpkin guts are ruthless I tell you! So many strings so little time.

But luckily this recipe is well worth the effort.

You simply cannot go wrong with the ingredients in this recipe. It’s like they were created to be together, working in harmony in this chili.

20101007IMG 4542 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

After adding the diced tomatoes, veggie broth, seasonings, etc…

20101007IMG 4552 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

20101007IMG 4562 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

20101007IMG 4587 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

My house smelled so delicious, I thought I was in Martha’s studio for a minute! Not that I know what Martha’s studio would smell like, but trust me, I have dreamed about it.

20101007IMG 4556 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

Ok, now I just sound creepy.

20101007IMG 4555 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

Fill it up about 3/4 of the way (not as much as I did!).

My overflowing pumpkin chili made for quite the juggling act when I carried it onto the deck for the photoshoot. I’m pretty sure I would have let my SLR drop before this bowl of chili too. ;)

20101007IMG 4570 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

Every good bowl of pumpkin chili needs a hat.

20101007IMG 4572 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

The awesome thing about these chili bowls is that they trap in a ton of heat!!!

20101007IMG 4573 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

As a result, I think this was the first hot meal I have had in a while. ;)

20101007IMG 4584 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

In case you are wondering, you most certainly eat the inside of the pumpkin! It was so delicious scooping a bit of the pumpkin flesh along with the chili into one delicious bite.

20101007IMG 4585 thumb   Emily’s Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls

In conclusion:

1) One of my favourite Fall dinners yet.

2) Please make this weekend. You will oooooo, you will ahhh, you will shed a tear of delight. Or maybe that’s just me.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun October 7, 2010

I love the look and thought of eating out of pumpkin bowls. I’m sure it adds great extra flavor.

And I hope the weather stays how it was today. I like just a tiny bit more warmth during the day, but a nice chill in the morning. It’s been perfect the past couple days!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 7, 2010

It’s official, anything in a pumpkin bowl is amazing.

I love all the fall colours in that bowl and in your photos!

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad October 7, 2010

So adorable! I love the pumpkin bowls. :-) This really does sounds incredibly tasty. I’m not sure how great I’d be at scooping out the pumpkins though…

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 7, 2010

It’s official, anything in a pumpkin bowl is amazing.

I love all the fall colours in that bowl and in your photos!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) October 7, 2010

Wow that is gorgeous! I take it you’re not going to serve this to a party of 20? :) You’ll be knee deep in pumpkin strings ha! I need to get me a sugar pumpkin stat.

Cara Craves... October 7, 2010

That’s the cutest idea and delicious to boot!
I love using pumpkins!
My fav. way to use them, when I am not eating them, is to hallow them out and use them as a vase…they make a great centre piece. I also take the small baby ones and juts carve out enough space to put a tea light in the top.

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) October 7, 2010

I saw the original recipe on Emily’s blog and “oohed” & “aaahhed” –it is quite possibly the most beautiful soup serving idea I’ve ever seen. Can I ask what those black specks at the bottom of the pumpkin were? :)

Kristina @ spabettie October 7, 2010

yes, I LOVED and planned when I saw Emily do this… and now again… looks delicious! :D

Mo@MommyRD October 7, 2010

Wow, very impressive presentation. I bet it was delicious. Your photos are so beautiful with the colors of fall in the background.

Ashley October 7, 2010

Yummmm!! If you were annoyed w/the pumpkin guts, try an acorn squash next time. It was much easier to scoop out the insdie! :) I made something similar the other night and it was so so so good!

Rhea (Greek Feaster) October 7, 2010

YES! I just bought a mini-pumpkin this evening and I was trying to remember if you had posted a pumpkin chili recipe. I figured if you hadn’t it was only a matter of time! ;)
Also, the pumpkin shell is the bread boule’s sexy big sister. Yeah, I said it.

Faith @ lovelyascharged October 7, 2010

Goodness, I haven’t had chili in ages! You know what’s funny? Back when I ate meat, Wendy’s (JACK NASTY) chili was the only thing I ever wanted to eat when I was sick…now the thought of it kind of makes me sick! Yours may tempt me back into the world of delicious chilis!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] October 7, 2010

I’m envious of your gorgeous fall leaves.

Krystina October 7, 2010

I really want to pick up some pumpkins! I’ve been roasting squash like mad, so roasting pumpkin would be delish,

elyssa October 7, 2010

when i first started reading this post, i was like ‘nah, too much hassle’. suffice it to say, by the end your pictures had me convinced. will be trying this weekend!

claire October 7, 2010

I bought two lil pumpkins to make this for me and my boyfriend tomorrow! I can’t wait! I am so happy to hear another person rave about it.

Lauren October 7, 2010

I bookmarked Emily’s recipe as soon as I saw it but now I’m a little afraid of tackling those pumpkin guts!

Heather (Heather's Dish) October 7, 2010

i’m totally wowing my friends with this ASAP…except i will make sure i invest in a grapefruit spoon first :)

JenATX October 7, 2010

you make me fall more in love with FALL every day :) seriously though, one of your pics is currently my background pic hehe

Camille October 7, 2010

What a beautiful, creative dinner! I love it!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) October 7, 2010

This is pure genius!!!!!

Hope October 7, 2010

This looks insanely awesome!! I have to try this ASAP!
I think I just drooled on my keyboard…oops!!

Christy October 7, 2010

That looks amazing! The ingrediants are being added to the grocery list right now – thank you! :)

Amber K October 7, 2010

I love how beautiful it looks! So much fun to eat.

Rebecca October 7, 2010

Your little pumpkin pots look so cute and yummy. I would love to make the recipe this weekend, but, its spring in Australia and I have never seen pumpkins like that where I live, they are so cute.

Amanda (Eating Up) October 8, 2010

I love how chunky that soup is! And that it’s in a pumpkin bowl! I totally want this right now.

Eric October 8, 2010

I’d have to say dinner was excellent!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 8, 2010

I thought you didn’t read my blog? ;)

Ashley Craft October 8, 2010

Beautiful photography!! And dinner looks amazing! Oh, how I love pumpkins! So what was the verdict… is it possible to eat too much? ;)

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA October 8, 2010

Making this recipe has become one of my life goals.

Eco-Vegan Gal October 8, 2010

Such beautiful photos and a great idea! Thank you for sharing! I added this to my recent blog post on pumpkin recipes! http://www.ecovegangal.com/2010/10/vegan-pumpkin-madness-recipe-round-up.html

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 8, 2010

This is just so adorable!

JL goes Vegan October 8, 2010

Tis the season for meals in winter squashes. So much fun!

Ashley M. [at] (never home)maker October 8, 2010

Gorgeous photos/stew Angela. I also want to make Emily’s recipe! It’s so creative! And you make me so jealous! Now that the sun is setting earlier and earlier . . . and my work schedule changes to meet the academic year, there’s basically no way for me to take dinner photos outside anymore after I work out — it’s too dark!!! I love all those colors! So, at least for a while, I’ll live through your photography. :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 8, 2010

This looks delicious! I think I want to try it for Sunday dinner! Yum!!!

Erin (Travel, Eat, Repeat) October 8, 2010

Yep, definitely need to make this soon. Fall food + soup + seasonal ingredients + beautiful presentation = hooked.

Clare October 8, 2010

I remember in Grade 10 science reading about a man who turned (temporarily) orange from eating too many carrots. It was called “carotenemia” or something like that because of excess carotenoids. It didn’t deter me. Yesterday I had squash or pumpkin with every meal and I had a pumpkin smoothie in the afternoon! I’m not orange yet but there’s still time….

Kristy October 8, 2010

Seeing all these pumpkin bowls all over the blog world is driving me crazy! I need one in my life ASAP! :-)

stacey-healthylife October 8, 2010

I love that idea. That would be perfect for a dinner party, especially with the effort of scooping out all those pumpkins.

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete October 8, 2010

I’m oohing and aahing right now! I love soup in breadbowls — so why not a pumpkin? I think that would look so adorable sitting on the table, everyone has their own pumpkin :)

And chili in the fall? there is nothing better!

Erin October 8, 2010

Angela, this looks amazing! And what did your Google search tell you? I am eating pumpkin lately like it is my job. My husband is seriously concerned that I might turn orange!

Page 1 of 3123»