Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Pumpkin Butter

Good morning!

This weekend is our Canadian Thanksgiving, which seems strange to me after the weekend madness, but I am just happy that I am not the one preparing the entire meal this time. ;)

I have been thinking of something that I could bring for my in-laws that would make a fun Thanksgiving hostess gift. I didn’t feel like bringing cookies, pie, or something of that nature, so I put my thinking cap on and surfed the web for ideas.

And then it hit me like a ton of bricks pumpkins.

20101005IMG 8987 thumb   Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Pumpkin Butter

Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Pumpkin Butter

This was super easy to make and quite delicious. I doubled the batch below so I could have some to enjoy myself. This will be fantastic spread onto pancakes, toast, or even layered with Vegan Overnight Oats! The possibilities are endless, and I plan to find them all. ;) Note that I reduced the sugar by 1/3 of a cup as I didn’t want it super sweet. You can adjust the sugar and seasonings to your own taste of course.

Adapted from Smitten Kitchen.

Ingredients:

• 1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin puree, approx. 3 1/2 cups or fresh
  • 3/4 cup apple juice
  • 1/2-1.5 teaspoons ground ginger (optional, sometimes I omit)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 cup Sucanat (or brown sugar)
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1-2 tsp fresh lemon juice

Directions:

1. Combine pumpkin, apple juice, spices, and sugar in a large saucepan and stir well. Bring mixture to a boil, covered with lid ajar (I prop it with a wooden spoon). Reduce heat to low-medium and simmer, covered with lid ajar, for 35-45 minutes, stirring frequently. Be careful as the mixture bubbles and pops!

2. Remove from heat and let it sit for a few minutes before removing lid. Adjust spices to taste. Stir in lemon juice. Once cool, pumpkin butter can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 weeks. Makes enough to fill one large mason jar or about 3.5 cups.

Note: Canning is not recommended.

Get your super cute Mason jar and set aside…

20101005IMG 8965 thumb   Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Pumpkin Butter

20101005IMG 8963 thumb   Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Pumpkin Butter

Dump everything into the pot except the fresh lemon juice. Once the mixture is cooked it will be thick and creamy!

20101005IMG 8970 thumb   Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Pumpkin Butter

Allow your pumpkin butter to cool before putting it into your Mason jar.

20101005IMG 8997 thumb   Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Pumpkin Butter 20101005IMG 9017 thumb   Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Pumpkin Butter

Wheeeeeeeee.

20101005IMG 8998 thumb   Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Pumpkin Butter

Now decorate your jar with curly ribbon and a tag…

20101005IMG 9022 thumb   Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Pumpkin Butter

20101005IMG 9020 thumb   Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Pumpkin Butter

Disgustingly cute, I would say.

20101005IMG 9034 thumb   Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Pumpkin Butter

Hmm, what is that white circle on top of the jar?

20101005IMG 9021 thumb   Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Pumpkin Butter

The recipe!

20101005IMG 9025 thumb   Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Pumpkin Butter

And there you have it.

20101005IMG 9019 thumb   Happy Thanksgiving Homemade Pumpkin Butter

A simple and quick hostess gift that can be enjoyed all season long. Just don’t forget to make a batch for yourself! ;)

Jenny October 9, 2010

making this recipe, right now! can’t wait :) yum, thanks for sharing!

Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life October 9, 2010

I just made this and it seriously is addicitng! It is so good!

Sara October 9, 2010

I JUST made a batch … however, it turned brown. Possibly from the dark spices and brown sugar?? Either way, it is DELICIOUS, especially over icecream!! Mmmmm!!

Thank you so much for the awesome recipe!!

Christabel October 10, 2010

Thank you SO much for this recipe! I made this morning and spread it on a gluten free dutch baby with toasted pecans and it was DELICIOUS.

Your blog is a constant inspiration. Thanks to you I’ve stopped weighing myself and am so much happier. (the world hasn’t ended and my clothes still fit!) :)

Ann October 10, 2010

This looks SO good – can’t wait to try it!

Jeanette October 10, 2010

Beautiful pictures. Will definitely make this simple and tasty looking recipe.

Allison October 26, 2010

I’m starting to think you post too much. I check my blog list multiple times a day and yet I somehow missed this post! I came here through a blog that I got to through another blog and I am so glad I did. I was just contemplating making pumpkin butter. By the way, just a little FYI, you rule in the kitchen! Can I come work for you? I’d work for pumpkin butter…

Amy Jones July 19, 2012

I CANNOT wait to make this receipe this fall!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 20, 2012

I’m looking forward to making it again too! One of the best things about fall….yum

brandy July 21, 2012

how many jars does this recipe make?

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 22, 2012

Hi Brandy, It makes about 3.5 cups (I think it filled one large mason jar for me)

Nina August 9, 2012

LooKs very yummy! But how is pumpkin butter served? Is it more or a dip or does It act like a nut butter?? Thanks :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 10, 2012

I love it on toast or in oatmeal…I tend to use it as a breakfast food. I also have a recipe or two that Ive used it in (squares)

Amanda August 10, 2012

I love pumkin butter. I like to heat up mine on the stove to be nice and warm…then i pour it over some vanilla icecream. Very yummy.

Amanda O. August 29, 2012

I just wanted to let you know how much I love and use this recipe! I love it with yogurt, granola, and a little maple syrup! I bake with it as an oil replacement, I’ve given it as gifts to my gluten-free vegan organic foodie friends (like me! I’d love a gift of something delicious and homemade that I could eat and I didn’t have to make myself!

I’ve made it with fresh ginger (my favorite), apple juice, apple cider, sucanat, brown sugar, turbinado sugar, my brother-in-law’s honey, and local maple syrup. I don’t think I could pick a favorite!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 30, 2012

fresh ginger sounds incredible! Thanks for letting me know. I cant wait to make it again soon…maybe this time with a fresh pumpkin pie squash?

M.C. September 8, 2012

A friend directed me to this recipe. It is so good! It is really delicious in oatmeal.

brianna September 12, 2012

Yum! This sounds so good.

Julia September 13, 2012

What a great gift idea! I can’t wait to try this recipe out and give it to some of my friends as a gift. Thanks for sharing!
Julia

Shannon September 22, 2012

Found your recipe on pinterest. I just made it and it’s cooling now. It’s delicious!!! I’m afraid there won’t be any left to put in the jar because hubby and I keep tasting it. Thanks for the great recipe!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 23, 2012

Enjoy Shannon!

lanette September 25, 2012

THANK YOU for the “Canning not recommended” disclaimer. I wish more bloggers would be so diligent!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 25, 2012

I’m generally a big worry wart so I like to err on the side of caution.

DENISE JACKSON September 27, 2012

Thank You for the recipe. This is the perfect time of the year for this pumpkin butter. Every year I make pumpkin bread and freeze it to eat all year. And I give alot of it away as presents too for the holidays. So this will be something else I can try. It’s quite comical every year right after Holloween. All the punpkins get throwed out on the curb for the trash man but I always try to beat him to them. Last year one family threw out six lg. pumpkins. I was in pumpkin heaven. I took them all home and baked them done and pureed the meat in my processor and then put them in freezer bags. So when I want to make fresh pumpkin bread I just pull out a freezer bag full of pureed pumpkin and get to baking. So Happy baking and cooking girls.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 27, 2012

haha love that!

Sara September 28, 2012

Quick question..can you put the mixture into a crock pot instead of cooking it stovetop? If so, about how long would you recommend or is it just until the desired consistency? Thanks!

singlelady September 28, 2012

I made this recipe for two of my teachers who wrote me letters of recommendation as a thank you, and they LOVED IT! It is seriously so good. Not to mention, my entire house smelled like fall :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 29, 2012

aw so glad to hear that!!

Carole Ann Spear October 1, 2012

I just want to thank you for adding the amount of fresh pumpkin that you need if you want to use it instead of canned. So many recipes don’t do that. Also for the warning not to can it as written. Great info, can’t wait to try it.

Angie October 21, 2012

This may be a stupid question but is there actually no butter in this?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 22, 2012

Nope, I know the name is deceiving!

Donna Hathaway October 22, 2012

Am gonna try this for sure. Always looking for different thing to do with pumpkins. YUMMY

Deirdre October 29, 2012

Just made my first pumpkin butter, thanks for the recipe. Mine turned out quite lumpy cause of the type of pumpkin I used to I attacked it with a hand blender! I’ve never had pumpkin butter so don’t know what it’s supposed to taste like but I may be in love. Mixed some into pancake batter (non-vegan, sorry!) and they turned out great!

Diane November 1, 2012

Oh my this is a fantastic recipe. I use this on oatmeal, over yogurt, make pumpkin spice lattes with it and even in homemade granola bars and smoothies. I keep it in the smaller mason jars and freeze them. They thaw perfectly in the fridge and I always have a supply on hand!

Kathy O. November 4, 2012

Can you freeze it after you put in jars? I freeze all my other jellies, so I don’t have to worry about them sealing.

Mara November 9, 2012

I love this recipe. The only thing I changed is that I substituted coconut sugar for the refined sugar so that recipe would be low glycemic. I put it on pumpkin pancakes and it is off the hook!

Bev Barreto November 12, 2012

Thanks for the recipe. i have made it before and absolutely love it.

Baltic Maid November 14, 2012

Thank you so much for this lovely recipe. I tried it the other day and it was delicious. It was my first time trying pumpkin butter and I love it! Thanks again!

kendra November 16, 2012

Thank you for posting this!!!! i fell in love with pumpkin butter last year…but refuse to pay the 8.00 i paid for a small jar!
this was so easy to put together..i dont have clove so i just omited the nutmeg and used pumpkin pie spice in place of those two. and added a little extra brown sugar..
it made waaaaay more than i had expected it too!! it was nice and thick too!! will for sure be making this again!

sharon turner January 2, 2013

what is shelf life of pumpkin butter once in mason jar?

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 2, 2013

Ive kept mine in the fridge for over 1 month. enjoy!

meemawcrochets July 8, 2013

lovely hostess gift:) what are nutritional values such as carb count etc?

Sarah August 15, 2013

Can’t wait to try but the lemon juice listed in the recipe is never used so why is it listed?

Barbara October 5, 2013

How do you keep the pumpkin butter pumpkin color instead of brown? It taste great. Love this for holidays.

Kali October 21, 2013

I just made this, and while it is absolutely delicious, mine looks nothing like yours!! It is VERY dark and not thick and creamy like yours! I know it didn’t burn and I even tried to cook it a little longer with the lid off in hopes it would thicken up but it didn’t. Not sure what I did wrong but even if it’s not as pretty as yours it’s still very yummy!!!

lonny November 5, 2013

This looks yummy ! I live a couple states away from my family and wanted to contribute to their thanksgiving feast in some cute way and this is perfect ! But I have some questions . . Does it need to be refrigerated or is it safe to over night ship ? What do you put pumpkin butter on ? Bread , crackers ?? Thanks much !

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 6, 2013

Yes I recommend refrigerating it for sure. You can use it on so many things…graham crackers, pancakes, oatmeal, parfaits, on top of quick bread, toast, etc

Samantha November 19, 2013

Hi! I just made this pumpkin butter. It is so amazing! I could barley get it into the jars without eating it!
I have been reading your blog for about a month now. I found it on accident but it was truly a blessing. I have been suffering from disordered eating. I try to stay in control of my eating but I end up going back to old eating habits. You have given me inspiration and motivation to kick this ED in the butt! I read your story and I’m so proud of you! You are a true, real life role model for lots of people. Thank you so much!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 21, 2013

Hey Samantha, Thanks for your kind words! So glad to hear you are getting on a healthier path. I’m glad the pumpkin butter was a hit too!

Gloria November 26, 2013

Just finished making the pumpkin butter. Used only half the brown sugar. I find the sweetness of the apple juice and 1/2 cup of brown sugar is perfect for us. Thank you so much for this recipe. As soon as it cools I will place in smaller jars with your beautiful idea of attaching a pumpkin tab and give it to my daughters for thanksgiving.

Chelle July 17, 2014

I’m excited to try this recipe! I’ve tried others, but I this one looks quite good. :-) For those wondering you absolutely can use a crockpot. Five hours on low, stirring several times. My crockpot runs hot so doesn’t take that long. You want the butter thick enough to stick to a spoon upside down. It freezes nicely, use within six months. So happy to find this blog!!!

Julie August 30, 2014

Stupid question …. What can I use it for? On toast? Muffins?

Page 3 of 3«123