Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

Hi folks, this poet is back for Challenge number three!

For this, we were asked to host a luxury dinner party,

20101002IMG 4199 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

It should have much style and be personal too,

20101002IMG 4054 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

So here’s what I did to express myself to you…

20101002IMG 4069 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

I present to you our first ever Vegan Thanksgiving,

We would eat delicious food but nothing once living,

20101002IMG 4125 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

Wait!

Don’t leave, I promise this meal is delicious!

I have some organic wine to persuade you (and it’s totally nutritious).

20101002IMG 4212 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

I’d love for you to join us, come wine and dine,

20101002IMG 8865 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

Us adults and the kids, we had a delicious time!

(However, if I said there were leftovers I’d be lying…)

You see, the word Vegan often makes people cringe in fear,

20100916IMG 2083 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

But I’m here to show you Vegan can be tasty and spread lots of cheer!

20101001IMG 3948 thumb1   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

My challenge to you is to create new and fun traditions,

Print off this guide should you wish, to help you on your mission.

[Yes, I typed up 16 recipes as a fun little addition]

20101001IMG 3909 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

But do as I say, not exactly as I do,

It wouldn’t be my dinner party without a funny flop or two…

20101003IMG 8886 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

[Hopefully incinerated pecans won’t happen to you…]

All week I have been testing and experimenting so,

You can follow this plan and your own meal will glow.

20101002IMG 4265 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

So here is what I served, starting with the delicious wine,

A couple glasses down the hatch and you will really shine.

20101002IMG 4267 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

20101003IMG 8899 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

Throw on some high heels and a cute little frock,

Soon your man will want to help you around the clock. ;)

20101002IMG 4194 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

Follow the wine with Eggplant Toasts and Lemon Cashew Cheese,

A fun twist on traditional Bruschetta, they are the bees knees.

20101002IMG 8800 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

20101002IMG 4129 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

Now for the Cranberry, Pear, and Candied Pecans on Greens,

Always start off light to feel like a Queen.

20101002IMG 4241 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

To round it out, some Roasted Nuts in a Rosemary Glaze,

Oh boy did these nuts incite quite the praise.

20100930IMG 3780 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

As you can see the appetizers were light,

To make sure you save room for the main course delight…

20101002IMG 41132 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

20101002IMG 8816 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

First up, ‘Frank Approved’ Glazed Walnut Loaf and Gravy for our roast,

If you’re wondering about Frank you’ll find out at the end of this post!

20101002IMG 8826 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

Nope, This Ain’t Grandma’s Sweet Potato Casserole,

20101002IMG 4262 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

But this dish was at the top of my dinner party poll!

Now for the High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes with a secret twist,

20100908IMG 2684 thumb thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

Even my bean hating husband just could not resist.

20101002IMG 8876 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

Homemade Fluffy White Dinner Rolls with ‘butter’,

20101002IMG 4078 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

These rolls made my guest’s hearts go all a flutter.

20100929IMG 3649 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

Hmm what’s missing, oh that’s right delicious veggies on the side!

20101002IMG 4026 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

Olive oil, salt, pepper, and lemon had our guests enjoying Brussels with pride.

20101002IMG 4247 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

And last but not least these beautiful, yet bitter berries…

20100930IMG 3679 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

Were made into a sauce with a visit from the maple syrup fairy.

20100930IMG 3711 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

Now for the grand finale, loosen your belt a notch or three,

I actually prefer to wear an empire waist and set my food baby free.

20101002IMG 8875 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

For dessert, Gingerbread with Spiced Buttercream,

20101001IMG 3957 thumb1   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

This spicy luscious frosting made everyone beam.

And now I present, the smashing hit of the night…

20101002IMG 3991 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party  20101002IMG 4025 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

Chocolate brownie,

20101002IMG 4091 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

Pumpkin Pie,

20101002IMG 4096 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

And pecan crunch delight.

20101002IMG 4102 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

With silence and smiles, we devoured every last bite!

20101002IMG 8854 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

Now before I go, I have a few secrets to share,

On How to Host a Thanksgiving Dinner Party with Flare.

20101002IMG 4047 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

No need to break your budget just a few dollars will do,

Hit up the Dollarstore for placemats, decorations, baskets, and a stick of glue!

20101002IMG 4075 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

20101002IMG 4082 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party 20101002IMG 3996 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

Next, the grocery store for gourds, pumpkins, and some fruit,

20101002IMG 4115 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

Just look at those place settings, they were easy and disgustingly cute!

20101002IMG 4056 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

Get some inspiration from food magazines and books,

20101001IMG 39722 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party 20101001IMG 3969 thumb1   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

Gather your clippings and recipes then set off to COOK!

20100930IMG 3733 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

Last but not least, my favourite secret to share…

20101002IMG 4041 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

Surprise your guests with take-home baskets of delicious vegan fare!

Don’t forget to click this link for the recipes all in one place,

Now you can plan ahead at your very own pace.

This now concludes our First Annual Vegan Thanksgiving,

Frank enjoyed it too and will happily go on living… ;)

20101002IMG 4015 thumb   Project Food Blog Challenge #3: Luxury Dinner Party

If you enjoyed this post, please consider showing your support by voting for me in the Food Blog Challenge (you click the heart). Thank you for your support! :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 3, 2010

Your table looks like it came straight from Martha Stewart herself! And of course the food looks incredible too. :D

Jae October 3, 2010

WOW

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats October 3, 2010

Super impressive :) Go you!!

Whitney @ Whitinspired October 3, 2010

You make being Vegan seem so easy. All of that looks so ridiculously delicious. Excellent job!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss October 3, 2010

No doubt everything was absolutely incredible! I’m jealous of your guests :P They got to enjoy so much delicious food and amazing company!! :)

zoe October 3, 2010

love everything about this post! especially the writing. and the food! but that may just be the english major and vegan in me ;) regardless, everything looks so delicious! dinner parties are so much fun and yours looked like it was a great time. thanks for all the recipes! i will most definitely try my hand at one or two of them :)

Heather October 3, 2010

Amazing post Angela. Everything looks delicious and beautiful! I will be keeping this menu and recipes to try out. I’m sure you will do amazing at this weeks challenge!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 3, 2010

“I have some organic wine to persuade you (and it’s totally nutritious).”–LOL, I love the way you think!

Ok this is beyond amazing, Angela! Holy sh*t you have outdone yourself. And just in all your spare time whipped up a 16 recipe downloadable PDF file, no biggie :) Wow!!!

My hubs hates beans too. Until I made some roasted chickpeas that came out tasting like honey roasted peanuts, I just blogged about them. But I had been CRAVING NUTS since I saw your nut post earlier in the week. For those allergic to nuts, I created my own “peanuts” using chickpeas but anyway, I like to sneak some beans into this casa too!

Your food, the post, the whole thing….AMAZING!!!!! And you look cool as a cucumber thru it all, no less!

Claudia October 3, 2010

what a great meal Angela! your guest are very lucky to have you cook for them.
Thanks for the inspiration!

Christena October 3, 2010

And the Food Blog challenge rises to a whole new level……

Girl, I’m pretty sure you are the “next big thing.” This was above and beyond….possessed, even! :) This baking/writing/photography/blogging is your calling and you totally blew this challenge out of the water. I truly appreciate your effort. This was fantastic.

Dawn October 3, 2010

Wow, everything looked sooo yummy!!!!! Just fabulous!!! Another great post, thanks Angela. Those were some lucky dinner guests! :)

Sara October 3, 2010

You really do go above and beyond!! Great work, it looks amazing :)

Emily October 3, 2010

Verrry well done Angela. You make such an elegant dinner seem so effortless! I love how you posted the burnt pecans. That’s happened to me more than once!

MarathonVal October 3, 2010

That was an incredible post Angela!!! I am soooo impressed with all of the time, effort and creativity that went into this meal and post. It looks absolutely perfect.

Hope you had a great weekend! :)

Virginia @ YtotheUmmy October 3, 2010

this is INCREDIBLE!! wow, I am so impressed! good for you :)

Katie October 3, 2010

This must have taken FOREVER!!! Amazing!

Laura October 3, 2010

Oh my goodness, Angela! What an adorable party!! :-) maybe you have a future in event planning… want to start with my wedding?? ;-)

Stacie October 3, 2010

I’m in a post-Thanksgiving fog after reading your blog! Seriously?! Are you kidding me? Someone pinch me–is this a dream?!
Angela–you are off the charts talented. WOW!! Your readers cannot thank you enough for all your inspiration, hard work, thoughts and sharing them with us!….and then you top it with something like this?!–such an honor! Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing ALL of your recipes. (Tom the turkey says thanks too!) You could get paid good money for those. Watch out Martha Stewart and Food Network–here comes Angela!

Stacie October 3, 2010

P.S. VOTING OPENS TOMORROW AT FOODBUZZ.COM!! CAST YOUR VOTE(S)!!!

Wei-Wei October 3, 2010

Words really cannot describe how amazing you are! I’m definitely, DEFINITELY voting for you!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 3, 2010

I LOVED this!! You are so creative Angela! You’ll definitely be getting my vote.

Robin October 3, 2010

So, Angela. . . when do you sleep!?! :) Amazing job!

Brittany @ Bee Louise's Bites October 3, 2010

Wow…just wow :)

You are so talented. Your food looks amazing, your photography makes me feel like I’m there, your decorating skills are phenomenal, and your writing style is warm and inviting. I have a serious case of the warm-fuzzies after reading this post. You deserve all the success in the world, Angela…so amazing!

GlowingBIL October 3, 2010

Thanks for the great dinner Ang!

I loved the gravy with the walnut loaf
I stuffed my face so full my wife called me an oaf
and both kids ate the sweat potatoe ‘cake’
I think the marshmallow toppings made my tooth ache
Now I must end this very bad rhyme
With two kids running around I’m always out of time

:) See you soon Sis

Meredith Lilly October 3, 2010

Magnificent! *clapclapclap* :D

nancylicious October 3, 2010

this entire spread looked divine! i love your poetry, too. definitely a feast for all senses with the thoughtful visual touches. YUM! happy canadian thanksgiving! NS

Sondi October 3, 2010

Wow. This all looks amazing. Can I ask how long it took to put all of this together? And where did you get your apron? It’s super cute!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 3, 2010

I spread it out over the full week (Tues-Sat) and I typically prepped from 5:30-8:30am most mornings with two 8 hour days both Friday and Saturday. The apron is from Anthropologie.

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 3, 2010

ps- I am thinking about doing a post outlining what days I made what and what things I made in advance!

Christine October 4, 2010

I would love to know what you made in advance and how you organized all the cooking! That is the most intimidating part of cooking if you ask me, timing everything…..and I never seem to get it right! A behind the scenes look at how you pulled it off would help the whole process seem less overwhelming. And let us know what foods hold and which are better served right away. Thanks and great job!

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 4, 2010

yes yes yes! Will do forsure :)
I will also add this new info to the PDF that I made and re-upload it afterwards.

Kelsey H October 3, 2010

Angela you seriously outdid yourself with this one! Thanks SOOOOOOO much for typing up all the recipes. I might have to only tackle one at a time, but it will so be worth it! Probably tackling the gingerbread cake first;)

Lynna October 3, 2010

Angela, this is so lovely and it really shows off your creativity. I can’t believe you pulled this together on such short notice! Truly amazing and inspiring. I can’t wait to try that Chocolate Pumpkin Pecan Crunch pie. yuuummm. Thank you for putting so much time into this and sharing it with all of us!!

Pamela Martinez October 3, 2010

Congratulations Angela! This meal looks fabulous! Now that the Food Network has it’s sights on you, they will realize that you have something that is not out there. You have the road of greatness ahead of you. Your recipes appeal to vegans and non-vegans alike. You don’t alienate meat eaters, you just put it out there that there are other ways to enjoy delicious food using healthier ingredients. You are coming out at a perfect time when people are looking for someone to show them how to cook healthier because most of us honestly do not know how. I’m looking forward to seeing what you will do next!

Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice October 3, 2010

This looks like an amazing dinner! I love the table decorations too. Simply amazing. Please invite me to your next dinner party? :D

Shanna, Like Banana October 3, 2010

Wow! I love so much about this post!

Love that you are rockin’ the hot red lipstick
Love that you wore heels to cook
Love the table decor
Love the pecan pie deliciousness
Love that you didn’t forget the vino ;)
Love that you did this in honor of the Best Holiday Ever!

Roanne October 3, 2010

Fantastic!!! :D

LauraB @ foodsnobstl October 3, 2010

This is one of the coolest posts/dinners I have ever seen. It all looks so good. You make me want to become a vegan! Or, at least try eating it more often.

Halley (Blunder Construction) October 3, 2010

Angela, it is so amazing to see you hit your stride with these challenges! This is truly AMAZING, what an incredible effort and great success! You have really upped the ante for this round, BRAVO!!!

Bridgette October 3, 2010

Angela,
I love your blog it is always one of the first ones I open in my Google Reader. I mostly read and lurk but today I had to comment. You are very inspirational and I love your creativity with words and food. I will print the recipes and try a few things (sweet potato casserole, definitely the gingerbread and chocolate pumpkin pie). Keep up the good work, now where do I vote

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 3, 2010

Thank you! Voting begins tomorrow morning I believe :) I will update this post with the link,

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 3, 2010

Once again, amazing AMAZING job!! I’m so happy I got to come and eat all of this!!! :) You are such an inspiration to the entire food blogging community Good luck with the next round – I know you’ll be in it!!

gina (fitnessista) October 3, 2010

you are amazing.
that is all :)

Gina October 3, 2010

You did such a wonderful job! You’ve totally inspired me to create a wonderful & delicious vegan Thanksgiving for my non-vegan family :)

Charlie October 3, 2010

All this food looks delicious!! And the table is beautiful. I actually love to go to the dollarstore!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is October 3, 2010