Hockey Nuts In Canada

This time of the year makes me all warm and tingly inside.

And no, it’s not just because my hands and feet are starting to return to their habitual winter-like chill or because I am consuming so much cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger my intestines just might bleed.

Well that too, but there is another reason why this time of the year makes me all warm and tingly inside…

It’s almost hockey season!

This year, Eric and I are going to be hosting some Hockey Night in Canada gatherings with our Hockey Nut friends.

Of course, if you are like me, you see this as an opportunity not only to guzzle beer on a week night, but to come up with fabulous goodies that you can serve to your beer guzzling friends.

To kick off the season, I decided that I was going to bring back the Bar Nut.

Hockey Nuts, Beer, and Bar Nuts go hand and hand, don’t you think?

I will never forget the first time that I tried the famous Union Square Cafe Bar Nuts. These nuts won the title of Best Bar Nuts in New York, however at the time, I had no clue they even existed!

I was at a family gathering on Thanksgiving and one of our relatives made these famous nuts as an appetizer.

Eric and I could not stop eating these nuts!

In all my excitement I exclaimed to the room, ‘These are the best nuts I’ve ever tasted!!’, shortly thereafter the room went silent followed by an eruption of laughter, which was followed by my face turning beet red and drowning my sorrow in my beer (& nuts).

20100930-IMG_3780

Twice Baked Bar Nuts

Adapted from Union Square Cafe Bar Nuts.

Ingredients:

• 2 1/4 cups mixed unsalted nuts (I used 1/2 cup peanuts, 1/2 cup cashews, 1/2 cup walnuts, and 3/4 cup almonds)
  • 2 tbsp coarsely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
  • Small Pinch cayenne pepper
  • 1-2 tbsp Sucanat (or brown sugar)
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup, to taste (optional)
  • 1.5 tsp sea salt
  • 2 tbsp Earth Balance butter

Directions: Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread nuts onto the baking sheet and toast for about 10-12 minutes. Remove nuts and let cool for about 5 mins. or so. While cooling, mix the sauce ingredients (rosemary, cayenne, Sucanat, maple syrup, sea salt, 1 tbsp of Earth Balance butter). Now, dump nuts into a large bowl and stir in 1 tbsp of melted Earth Balance butter. Add sauce and mix well. Pour nuts back onto baking sheet and bake for another 10-12 minutes until golden. Cool for about 20 minutes and serve warm. Makes 2 1/4- 2 1/2 cups.

Notes: For the first batch I made, I followed the original recipe to a tee and I found that it was super, super salty. In my second version, I reduced the salt by 1/2 tsp and I increased the sugar slightly. I also added maple syrup due to the fact that Sucanat is quite dry. I also added an extra tbsp of Earth Balance to give the sauce something to stick to. Finally, I double baked the nuts for a more crispy and caramelized outcome.

These bar nuts are great because you can adapt them to how you like them! Make sure you taste them before going into the oven for the second bake and adjust seasonings if necessary.

Ok line up the troops!

20100930-IMG_3737

This is the first round of toasting…

20100930-IMG_3739

Prepare your sauce…

20100930-IMG_3742

Note: That is blackstrap molasses in the centre of the above photo. I added about 1/4 tsp, but I wouldn’t bother adding it next time as I don’t think it did anything.

I didn’t have much fresh rosemary left, so I had to use a mixture of fresh and dried rosemary. I’m sure you could use all dried rosemary if you had to, but fresh is always best.

20100930-IMG_3744

Remove toasted nuts from oven and place into a bowl.

20100930-IMG_3752

Coat with 1 tbsp of Earth Balance…

20100930-IMG_3754

Now mix in sauce and pour onto baking sheet for the second round of baking! The original recipe didn’t call for any more baking, but I thought it would do wonders…

20100930-IMG_3758

and it did!

The Sucanat sugar caramelized and got all crispy and chunky!

20100930-IMG_3767

Mmmm….your house will smell like a dream.

Serve with cold beer and hockey. ;)

20100930-IMG_3768

20100930-IMG_3771

20100930-IMG_3776

Now all I have to do is wait patiently for 7 days for the Leafs Vs Habs kick-off game.

But for now: beer, bar nuts, and Gossip Girl will have to do. ;)

Page 2 of 2«12
Fiona June 25, 2014

I made these (with a lot of changes) and they were insanely delicious!!! I only used one tablespoon of avocado oil (healthier than earth balance), only 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp cayenne instead of 1/4, no maple syrup, and 2 Tbsp xylitol instead of sugar. 2 T fresh rosemary from my garden as suggested. Didn’t do the second bake as I taste tested and it was so freakin delicious I couldn’t imagine changing it. Thank you!

Old Florida Broad November 7, 2010

I do want to try these even though we live in Florida, don’t watch hockey, and rarely drink beer. I’m thinking……uhmmmm….. margarita. It sounds like a wonderful recipe, but I’ve never heard of Sucanat, and Earth Balance is margarine, not butter. I won’t eat chemical spreads, so the real thing will be substituted. I did look up Sucanat and there are some things I can substitute for that, too, like Splenda Brown. The original recipe at Union Square is what I’ll use except for salt I have to use Morton’s salt substitute, which is potassium chloride, and I won’t use nearly as much of it. The nuts are healthy, anyway, lol! It’s hard to be old and on a restricted diet! Cheers!

Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having November 6, 2010

I saw this pic on Tastespotting and had to come to your site because to the tittle. Love it!

PhillyGirlRuns October 10, 2010

OH MY GOODNESS.

Made these for an all-day football party yesterday – EVERYONE asked me for the recipe. I called them “Canadian Hockey Nuts” and will definitely be making these often. Great recipe!

Ann October 1, 2010

Oooh. I love So Delicious, especially the one with the coconut bits!

Kaitlin With Honey October 1, 2010

Ha! Your nuts exclamation made me laugh out loud!

ARPL October 1, 2010

I have a very similar nut recipe! It is amazing, isn’t it? Who’d have thunk rosemary would work so well in this case.

amanda (tomboy that wears makeup) October 1, 2010

Dare I say…Go Canucks GO!!!

3 cheers for your amazing bar nuts! We may cheer for different teams, but when it comes to health and fitness, we are definitely on the same team!! lol

Andrew Lowry October 1, 2010

Angela, Great stuff. I will have to see if my sweetie will make this for me (she likes to cook and I like to eat we are the perfect match).

I see you enjoy Upper Canada. I hope you have tried Creemore Springs Lager. It is one of fav craft beers and made not to far from you. http://www.creemoresprings.com/live/index.php
Enjoy the game (in due course).

Jess @ Gluten Freesta October 1, 2010

I LOVE that you drink beer! Sometimes I find it hard to balance a healthy lifestyle and my love of beer (although I have to get it gluten free these days) and wine. Do you only drink organic beer? And those nuts look amazing!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie October 1, 2010

haha, so Canadian……I know like two people who like hockey and neither of them keep up with it, they just enjoy going to games on occasion. haha

I love your enthusiasm.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 1, 2010

I don’t normally eat bar nuts at the bar because of the whole “Imagine how many people’s hands have touched those” thing – I’m not a germophobe, but that one does sort of sketch me out! These however, look delicious!

Jackie October 1, 2010

I’ve been a reader for a long time but this is my first time posting. I couldn’t stay quiet on this one because I’m excited for hockey too!!!! I live in Maryland and have tickets to the Caps v. Islanders game coming up on the 13th. Can’t wait!

Jemma @ Celeryandcupcakes.wordpress.com October 1, 2010

Great story! I love spiced nuts too! Taking something so simple and making it magical to eat! :)

Jaime October 1, 2010

Those look yummy! I have a similar recipe, but not twice baked. Can’t wait to try these. Thanks for the recipe.

jenna October 1, 2010

these look and sound amazing!! :)

Rachel October 1, 2010

I can’t say I enjoy your team choice! I don’t know if you cheer for Leafs or Habs, but neither one is acceptable if you ask me :P
While I’m Canadian, I live closer to Buffalo, so we’re huge fans of them, and have season tickets. I LOVE going to the games, so much fun! You could probably find cheap tickets there if you guys ever thought about going!

Jillian @ Reshape Your Life October 1, 2010

Hockey isn’t that big down here in Texas… But they do have an event called Puck and Paws which allows you to bring your dog to the game, and they have a bunch of shelters from the area set up booths about adoption.

I grew up in Connecticut and spent many a night going to hockey games!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 1, 2010

I feel like such a bad Canadian for not being a bigger hockey fan! The only time I really got into it was during the Olympics last year. :P

Angela October 1, 2010

I saw my first ever hockey match in Toronto last year and it was so much fun especially as the home team won! We had giant hotdogs and got big blue foam fingers which ended up being a pain to pack for the rest of the trip!! I’ll have to see if hockey is on TV anywhere in the UK as I like straight forward sports that don’t have crazy rules I don’t understand! :)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 1, 2010

I kid you not when the entire repertoire of my diet in my early 20s consisted of: vodka, maraschino cherries, bar nuts, Triscuits & PB. Seriously, I love bar nuts! Nothing better! Well, ok, chocolate is better but with drinks, bar nuts rock and your version looks awesome!

I love that you are a Canadian girl who can drink some brewsky’s and get down with bar nuts. Me too! Well, I grew up in Minnesota so practically Canadian but got smart and moved to sunny warm weather :)

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed October 1, 2010

Yum! these look scrumptious! love the story too. that always happens to me :)
Heidi xo

Gypsy October 1, 2010

I always love your pictures of all the ingredients in the bowl – so pretty.
I have to say though, I’m pretty spoiled now with your recipes and all your pictures. I tried to go on another blog today and they had recipes and no pictures!! and then it just said stuff like “cook until done.” What’s that??

Amber K September 30, 2010

I used to go to Portland Winter Hawks games as a kid. My grandparents were REALLY into hockey! They would even host a member of the team in their house on occasion. I haven’t been to a game in a really long time though! The last one I went to, my husband and I actually left about halfway through because we didn’t realize it was going to go so late!

Moni'sMeals September 30, 2010

Awesome Angela! I never thought of making my own bar nuts. Good call and they look amazing. ;) I LOVE HOCKEY SEASON!! I seriously should of been a Canadian (Tim Hortons, Whistler, Putin- sp?, Wunder Bars!)

Heather Williams September 30, 2010

Hi Angela! I love the nut recipe; these look delish! I’ll have to make these soon and love your new pumpkin soft serve! I’m enjoying pumpkin for breakfast too!!:)