Hockey Nuts In Canada

This time of the year makes me all warm and tingly inside.

And no, it’s not just because my hands and feet are starting to return to their habitual winter-like chill or because I am consuming so much cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger my intestines just might bleed.

Well that too, but there is another reason why this time of the year makes me all warm and tingly inside…

It’s almost hockey season!

This year, Eric and I are going to be hosting some Hockey Night in Canada gatherings with our Hockey Nut friends.

Of course, if you are like me, you see this as an opportunity not only to guzzle beer on a week night, but to come up with fabulous goodies that you can serve to your beer guzzling friends.

To kick off the season, I decided that I was going to bring back the Bar Nut.

Hockey Nuts, Beer, and Bar Nuts go hand and hand, don’t you think?

I will never forget the first time that I tried the famous Union Square Cafe Bar Nuts. These nuts won the title of Best Bar Nuts in New York, however at the time, I had no clue they even existed!

I was at a family gathering on Thanksgiving and one of our relatives made these famous nuts as an appetizer.

Eric and I could not stop eating these nuts!

In all my excitement I exclaimed to the room, ‘These are the best nuts I’ve ever tasted!!’, shortly thereafter the room went silent followed by an eruption of laughter, which was followed by my face turning beet red and drowning my sorrow in my beer (& nuts).

20100930-IMG_3780

Twice Baked Bar Nuts

Adapted from Union Square Cafe Bar Nuts.

Ingredients:

• 2 1/4 cups mixed unsalted nuts (I used 1/2 cup peanuts, 1/2 cup cashews, 1/2 cup walnuts, and 3/4 cup almonds)
  • 2 tbsp coarsely chopped fresh rosemary leaves
  • Small Pinch cayenne pepper
  • 1-2 tbsp Sucanat (or brown sugar)
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup, to taste (optional)
  • 1.5 tsp sea salt
  • 2 tbsp Earth Balance butter

Directions: Preheat the oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread nuts onto the baking sheet and toast for about 10-12 minutes. Remove nuts and let cool for about 5 mins. or so. While cooling, mix the sauce ingredients (rosemary, cayenne, Sucanat, maple syrup, sea salt, 1 tbsp of Earth Balance butter). Now, dump nuts into a large bowl and stir in 1 tbsp of melted Earth Balance butter. Add sauce and mix well. Pour nuts back onto baking sheet and bake for another 10-12 minutes until golden. Cool for about 20 minutes and serve warm. Makes 2 1/4- 2 1/2 cups.

Notes: For the first batch I made, I followed the original recipe to a tee and I found that it was super, super salty. In my second version, I reduced the salt by 1/2 tsp and I increased the sugar slightly. I also added maple syrup due to the fact that Sucanat is quite dry. I also added an extra tbsp of Earth Balance to give the sauce something to stick to. Finally, I double baked the nuts for a more crispy and caramelized outcome.

These bar nuts are great because you can adapt them to how you like them! Make sure you taste them before going into the oven for the second bake and adjust seasonings if necessary.

Ok line up the troops!

20100930-IMG_3737

This is the first round of toasting…

20100930-IMG_3739

Prepare your sauce…

20100930-IMG_3742

Note: That is blackstrap molasses in the centre of the above photo. I added about 1/4 tsp, but I wouldn’t bother adding it next time as I don’t think it did anything.

I didn’t have much fresh rosemary left, so I had to use a mixture of fresh and dried rosemary. I’m sure you could use all dried rosemary if you had to, but fresh is always best.

20100930-IMG_3744

Remove toasted nuts from oven and place into a bowl.

20100930-IMG_3752

Coat with 1 tbsp of Earth Balance…

20100930-IMG_3754

Now mix in sauce and pour onto baking sheet for the second round of baking! The original recipe didn’t call for any more baking, but I thought it would do wonders…

20100930-IMG_3758

and it did!

The Sucanat sugar caramelized and got all crispy and chunky!

20100930-IMG_3767

Mmmm….your house will smell like a dream.

Serve with cold beer and hockey. ;)

20100930-IMG_3768

20100930-IMG_3771

20100930-IMG_3776

Now all I have to do is wait patiently for 7 days for the Leafs Vs Habs kick-off game.

But for now: beer, bar nuts, and Gossip Girl will have to do. ;)

1 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is September 30, 2010

We are hockey nuts here in Pittsburgh! (obviously… ) Seriously, my husband is COUNTING DOWN THE DAYS. Preseason has already started and the radio is on for the games 24/7!

2 Katherine September 30, 2010

LOL…love those nuts! Hockey is definitely an exciting game…not too big of a sport in Texas though for obvious reasons! :)

3 Jazz September 30, 2010

Which is lucky for me – we are scoring Dallas vs HABS tickets in Texas for CHEAP! Can’t even get tickets in Canada..

4 Marathon Bound Gal aka Grace October 1, 2010

Love getting tickets to the Dallas Stars play. I don’t follow hockey much, too big of a college football fan but when we get tickets for free to go watch in Dallas, we love it! I’d like to go see minor league hockey, heard it’s even more exciting!

OMG, I’ll try those bar nuts for our college football Auburn Tigers vs. LSU Oct. 23rd tailgating party in Auburn, AL. Woohoo!

5 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine September 30, 2010

I’ve never even heard of these bar nuts…sounds like I need to get myself to the Union Square cafe!! Love any kind of spiced nuts though- and that these have walnuts, my favorite!

6 Heather (Heather's Dish) September 30, 2010

i love bar nuts! what a great recipe…but i’m going with football season for me ;)

7 Lisa September 30, 2010

wish i wasn’t allergic to nuts, so I could enjoy this post more! =) haha.

8 Liz @ Tip Top Shape September 30, 2010

Ha, I love bar nuts and these look better than any that I have had :D

9 Lisa Eirene September 30, 2010

Man those nuts look deadly…..I’d eat WAY too many of those. I learned how to make brown sugar nuts at a cooking class. They were divine.

10 claire September 30, 2010

Wow, these sound sooo delicious. I gotta make them ASAP!

11 Nicole (Picky Nicky) September 30, 2010

Oh boy do those things look addicting! :D

12 Maria September 30, 2010

Omigoodness, that looks GOOOOOD! Thanks for making yet another appetizing item to add to my “must make” list.

13 Janna September 30, 2010

HORRAY! I’m so glad you tackled these :) I’ve been to Union Square Cafe, but never tried their famous bar nuts and I’ve wanted to ever since I saw them on “The Best Thing I Ever Ate”!

I’m moving back to NYC soon so I will definitely try the real thing – but these should more than hold me over until I get back!!! Yaaaay!!

14 RhodeyGirl September 30, 2010

I love this recipe and I love the story behind it!

15 Kristie September 30, 2010

Oooh… I like this hockey + beer + beer nuts pairing. :) So excited for the season to kick-off too – I’m a huge Red Wings fan!

16 Cara Craves... September 30, 2010

Is this an obvious question…who are you cheering for?
Do you still have hope for Toronto?

17 Michelle @ IronDivas September 30, 2010

mmmmm….nuts (in my homer simpson voice) :)

18 Bre September 30, 2010

HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA!! those are brilliant—I’m definitely going to have to try that for the kick off game…especially my fam is split for cheering—half for the Habs and half for the leafs! :)

19 Wendy @ Seriously Sassy September 30, 2010

Okay, how do you DO that?! I swear your blog posts are always so “in sync” with what I’ve been thinking about. My parents just gave me ginormous bags of walnuts, pecans and almonds and I’ve been wondering what wonderful thing I could do with them. Needless to say, I will SO be making this nut recipe.
Thanks!!!

20 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 30, 2010

Ooh those nuts and a cold beer sound really good right now. And I love how they look in a beer mug!

And I’m sorry, but brown sugar, butter and maple syrup make everything and anything taste wonderful, am I right?

21 Kris September 30, 2010

Yay Hockey! I am taking you to a game when you come out to visit! :)

22 Erin September 30, 2010

There’s nothing more disgusting than eating the nuts at a bar — this is much more sanitary (and healthy) option! :D

23 Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 30, 2010

Those sound FABULOUS!!!

24 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 30, 2010

Those look AWESOME! Any kind of mixed/roasted nut with seasonings is a very very dangerous thing for me – I want to make those like.. now!

25 Laura @ Starloz September 30, 2010

seriously yummy, i’m tempted to make this

26 stacey-healthylife September 30, 2010

I love roasted nuts, especially with lots of seasoning.

27 Viviane September 30, 2010

GO HABS GO!!!!

28 MaryBe September 30, 2010

I loved your nutty Thanksgiving story! And I love that every single thing you make is something that I can eat without making any substitutions. You make vegan = delicious.
And go Sabres! ;)

29 Caitlin (EatFeats) September 30, 2010

Oh I LOVE nuts, but they are so unfortunately named.

30 cindy September 30, 2010

I have loved hockey ever since the 94 winter games! Being from the Chicagoland area I immediately picked the Blackhawks as my team and was ecstatic this year when they won the Cup! Go ‘Hawks!

I liked the nuts too. ;)

31 Jess September 30, 2010

Another hockey fan :) There aren’t that many diehards where I go to school! Are you a Leafs follower? I’m a Sabres fan :)

32 CathyK September 30, 2010

i love hockey season! i have been an ardent leafs fan since i was 12…a bear for punishment, aren’t i?! i always hope that THIS will be the year they turn things around…
A Hockey Night in Canada party sounds like a great idea!!

33 MelanieF September 30, 2010

Hockey fan living with a hockey nut (Habs fans here since we live in Quebec). He’s also counting down the days.

34 Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 30, 2010

Whoooa those look tasty! I don’t think I’ve ever seen savory roasted nuts before, they’ve always been sweet. Yum!

35 Sara September 30, 2010

GO BLACKHAWKS!$!!! :D Oh and your nuts look delicious. I don’t mean that in a dirty way. :P

36 Katie September 30, 2010

I copied your vegan protein pita with my leftover couscous for dinner tonight! So delicious!!! I will definitely be making that again!

37 The Peanut Butter Addict September 30, 2010

I have to be careful when I saw this aloud here because I live in Sens Land, but HABS ALL THE WAY! WOO! :D

38 Bridget September 30, 2010

Yummy! Those nuts look mighty tasty!

And hockey? Well, I’ll be honest, I never watch it. How Un-canadian of me haha!

39 Lauren September 30, 2010

I think it would be dangerous to have these in my house…

40 Kelly Michelle September 30, 2010

oh man, one thing I miss about living up North is hockey (GO SABRES!!!) It just isn’t the same down here in Miami though, the closest thing is the Panthers and who really even likes them (ice dancers really?!?!)

41 Wei-Wei September 30, 2010

I think it would definitely be a disaster to make these – I would never ever stop eating them.

42 Stefanie @thenewhealthy September 30, 2010

Beer, bar nuts, and Gossip Girl sounds like a perfectly balanced night to me!! :)

43 Heather Williams September 30, 2010

Hi Angela! I love the nut recipe; these look delish! I’ll have to make these soon and love your new pumpkin soft serve! I’m enjoying pumpkin for breakfast too!!:)

44 Moni'sMeals September 30, 2010

Awesome Angela! I never thought of making my own bar nuts. Good call and they look amazing. ;) I LOVE HOCKEY SEASON!! I seriously should of been a Canadian (Tim Hortons, Whistler, Putin- sp?, Wunder Bars!)

45 Amber K September 30, 2010

I used to go to Portland Winter Hawks games as a kid. My grandparents were REALLY into hockey! They would even host a member of the team in their house on occasion. I haven’t been to a game in a really long time though! The last one I went to, my husband and I actually left about halfway through because we didn’t realize it was going to go so late!

46 Gypsy October 1, 2010

I always love your pictures of all the ingredients in the bowl – so pretty.
I have to say though, I’m pretty spoiled now with your recipes and all your pictures. I tried to go on another blog today and they had recipes and no pictures!! and then it just said stuff like “cook until done.” What’s that??

47 Heidi - Apples Under My Bed October 1, 2010

Yum! these look scrumptious! love the story too. that always happens to me :)
Heidi xo

48 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) October 1, 2010

I kid you not when the entire repertoire of my diet in my early 20s consisted of: vodka, maraschino cherries, bar nuts, Triscuits & PB. Seriously, I love bar nuts! Nothing better! Well, ok, chocolate is better but with drinks, bar nuts rock and your version looks awesome!

I love that you are a Canadian girl who can drink some brewsky’s and get down with bar nuts. Me too! Well, I grew up in Minnesota so practically Canadian but got smart and moved to sunny warm weather :)

49 Angela October 1, 2010

I saw my first ever hockey match in Toronto last year and it was so much fun especially as the home team won! We had giant hotdogs and got big blue foam fingers which ended up being a pain to pack for the rest of the trip!! I’ll have to see if hockey is on TV anywhere in the UK as I like straight forward sports that don’t have crazy rules I don’t understand! :)

50 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 1, 2010

I feel like such a bad Canadian for not being a bigger hockey fan! The only time I really got into it was during the Olympics last year. :P

51 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life October 1, 2010

Hockey isn’t that big down here in Texas… But they do have an event called Puck and Paws which allows you to bring your dog to the game, and they have a bunch of shelters from the area set up booths about adoption.

I grew up in Connecticut and spent many a night going to hockey games!

52 Rachel October 1, 2010

I can’t say I enjoy your team choice! I don’t know if you cheer for Leafs or Habs, but neither one is acceptable if you ask me :P
While I’m Canadian, I live closer to Buffalo, so we’re huge fans of them, and have season tickets. I LOVE going to the games, so much fun! You could probably find cheap tickets there if you guys ever thought about going!

53 jenna October 1, 2010

these look and sound amazing!! :)

54 Jaime October 1, 2010

Those look yummy! I have a similar recipe, but not twice baked. Can’t wait to try these. Thanks for the recipe.

55 Jemma @ Celeryandcupcakes.wordpress.com October 1, 2010

Great story! I love spiced nuts too! Taking something so simple and making it magical to eat! :)

56 Jackie October 1, 2010

I’ve been a reader for a long time but this is my first time posting. I couldn’t stay quiet on this one because I’m excited for hockey too!!!! I live in Maryland and have tickets to the Caps v. Islanders game coming up on the 13th. Can’t wait!

57 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 1, 2010

I don’t normally eat bar nuts at the bar because of the whole “Imagine how many people’s hands have touched those” thing – I’m not a germophobe, but that one does sort of sketch me out! These however, look delicious!

58 Diana @ frontyardfoodie October 1, 2010

haha, so Canadian……I know like two people who like hockey and neither of them keep up with it, they just enjoy going to games on occasion. haha

I love your enthusiasm.

59 Jess @ Gluten Freesta October 1, 2010

I LOVE that you drink beer! Sometimes I find it hard to balance a healthy lifestyle and my love of beer (although I have to get it gluten free these days) and wine. Do you only drink organic beer? And those nuts look amazing!

60 Andrew Lowry October 1, 2010

Angela, Great stuff. I will have to see if my sweetie will make this for me (she likes to cook and I like to eat we are the perfect match).

I see you enjoy Upper Canada. I hope you have tried Creemore Springs Lager. It is one of fav craft beers and made not to far from you. http://www.creemoresprings.com/live/index.php
Enjoy the game (in due course).

61 amanda (tomboy that wears makeup) October 1, 2010

Dare I say…Go Canucks GO!!!

3 cheers for your amazing bar nuts! We may cheer for different teams, but when it comes to health and fitness, we are definitely on the same team!! lol

62 ARPL October 1, 2010

I have a very similar nut recipe! It is amazing, isn’t it? Who’d have thunk rosemary would work so well in this case.

63 Kaitlin With Honey October 1, 2010

Ha! Your nuts exclamation made me laugh out loud!

64 Ann October 1, 2010

Oooh. I love So Delicious, especially the one with the coconut bits!

65 PhillyGirlRuns October 10, 2010

OH MY GOODNESS.

Made these for an all-day football party yesterday – EVERYONE asked me for the recipe. I called them “Canadian Hockey Nuts” and will definitely be making these often. Great recipe!

66 Lynn @ I'll Have What She's Having November 6, 2010

I saw this pic on Tastespotting and had to come to your site because to the tittle. Love it!

67 Old Florida Broad November 7, 2010

I do want to try these even though we live in Florida, don’t watch hockey, and rarely drink beer. I’m thinking……uhmmmm….. margarita. It sounds like a wonderful recipe, but I’ve never heard of Sucanat, and Earth Balance is margarine, not butter. I won’t eat chemical spreads, so the real thing will be substituted. I did look up Sucanat and there are some things I can substitute for that, too, like Splenda Brown. The original recipe at Union Square is what I’ll use except for salt I have to use Morton’s salt substitute, which is potassium chloride, and I won’t use nearly as much of it. The nuts are healthy, anyway, lol! It’s hard to be old and on a restricted diet! Cheers!

68 Fiona June 25, 2014

I made these (with a lot of changes) and they were insanely delicious!!! I only used one tablespoon of avocado oil (healthier than earth balance), only 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp cayenne instead of 1/4, no maple syrup, and 2 Tbsp xylitol instead of sugar. 2 T fresh rosemary from my garden as suggested. Didn’t do the second bake as I taste tested and it was so freakin delicious I couldn’t imagine changing it. Thank you!