Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

Good morning!

Miraculously, I’m still waking up around 5-5:30am since I have been back. I want this early to rise, early to bed streak to become a habit because I have fallen in love with the early morning again. I will be having a discussion tomorrow on early rising and the timing of meals, so stay tuned for that.

But, for now, tarts. It’s all about the tarts this week.

Do you ever see a picture so beautiful that it literally makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside?

20100927IMG 3475 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

That is what this onion did to me this morning!

And is why I love photography. There is nothing I love more than to see beauty in real life, capture it on camera, and share this beauty with others.

20100927IMG 3474 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

When I was a child and teenager my entire family used to call me ‘The Little Tourist’ because I took so many pictures.

As I always say, look to your childhood for answers about your passions!

I have always had a love for photography. Even back in the day, when I was fascinated with our Pink Polaroid Camera…

p1070205 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

Now, that’s hot.

[source]

From organic farmer,

20100927IMG 3476 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

To skillet,

20100927IMG 3493 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

To table.

20100927IMG 3539 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

Mushroom, Spinach, & Onion Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

Goat Cheeze inspired by Choosing Raw.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup white Kamut flour (or all-purpose)
  • 1/4 cup Earth Balance buttery stick
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 4-4.5 tbsp almond milk
  • 2.5-3 cups mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1.5 cups packed spinach
  • 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • Goat Cheeze: 1/2 cup macadamia nut butter, 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice, black pepper, sea salt, to taste

Directions: Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a tart pan or alternatively you can simply roll out the dough, trim, and place on parchment on a baking sheet. To assemble the dough: In a stand mixer with a dough hook (or by hand), mix the flour, salt, butter, and almond milk together. Use your hands when necessary to form into a ball. Place in fridge for 20 mins. to chill. While it is chilling prepare the onions and mushrooms. In a skillet over medium-low heat, add in 2-3 tbsp oil and the sliced onion. Cook onion over low for about 10 minutes until it caramelizes and slightly browns. Remove dough from fridge and lightly flour your surface. Roll out dough to desired size and place into tart pan (see this post for more pictures of the process). Pierce dough with a fork and place in the oven for 13-16 minutes at 400F to pre-bake. While it is baking, add the sliced mushrooms and garlic to the onion mixture and cook over low-medium heat for another 10 minutes. Add in the spinach and cook for another 5 minutes until wilted. Make the goat cheeze by mixing 1/2 cup macadamia nut butter, 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice, black pepper, and approx 1/8th tsp sea salt. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. When tart is done pre-baking, remove from oven and spread on a layer of olive oil with a brush to keep the crust moist. Now, layer on the mushroom and onion mixture. Now add on clumps of goat cheeze. Bake in over for another 5 minutes or so, watching carefully, until golden in colour.

Note: Makes enough dough and filling to make two 3×12 inch tarts. You can also make mini tarts or even use a cupcake pan if you don’t have mini tart pans. As a third option, simply roll out your dough, trim the edges to form a rectangle, and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Score the edges to form a crust.

20100927IMG 3487 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

20100927IMG 3495 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

I didn’t have enough mushrooms and onion (maybe half of what was required), so I had to make due without. I suggest using the quantity recommended in the recipe so you can really fill your tart to the brim. I found my filling was very sparse.

20100927IMG 3494 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

20100927IMG 3503 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

20100927IMG 3504 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

I would have preferred double the filling than what I had…

20100927IMG 3509 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

This ‘goat cheeze’ was fun! I didn’t have macadamia nuts, so I made a modified version of Gena’s Goat cheese.

20100927IMG 3517 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

20100927IMG 3518 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

Oops I forgot the spinach!

Much better.

20100927IMG 3528 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

I love how the goat cheeze browned in the oven. Very authentic looking!

20100927IMG 3539 thumb1   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

The goat cheeze was slightly dry, so I think next time I wouldn’t cook it for as long. Maybe just 5 minutes to retain the moisture.

20100927IMG 3543 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

It tasted wonderful! Very authentic tasting for a vegan tart.

20100927IMG 3531 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

Now for the one thing I really struggled with since getting back from my trip…

EXERCISE!

While on our trip, my sister and I were a great team. The night before, she would convince me that getting up at 6am while on vacation to workout was a good idea and when the alarm went off the next morning, I dragged her butt out of bed. We worked in complete harmony.

Except for that morning after a night of too much wine, when we both looked at each other with that knowing look and snuggled up under the warm bed sheets for a couple more hours. I had three workouts out of 6 days while away. I consider that a success being jet-lagged and all. We never did regret one of those early morning workouts!

However, once I got home, my motivation disappeared.

I came home to cloudy, cold, and rainy weather and to make matters worse, I felt under the weather myself. I decided to let my body tell me when it was ready to workout again.

Thursday passed, as did Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Nothing.

Not even the slightest desire to workout.

Then I realized that I could go for weeks if I didn’t intervene! This was quite silly, all I had to do was put on my sneakers and sweat. Was it really that bad?

So yesterday, I ran 3 miles and I felt like a new woman afterwards. I always say, starting a workout is the hardest part.

And yes, sometimes, a swift kick to my own butt is necessary to get those workout juices going once again. [Side note: Kicking your own butt is not easy!]

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 28, 2010

you are all about the tarts lately…i love it! this one sounds particularly awesome :)

Arielle September 28, 2010

That tart looks amazing!!! :] I was the same way with exercise when I got back from my weekend vacation to Florida early August. I got home and didn’t work out for a week ’cause my body was catching up on sleep. I got back into it and didn’t get my DESIRE to work out until just this last week!!! Insane but I feel like it’s better I worked out with not as much fervor as I had before I left than if I were to not have worked out at all.

Jess September 28, 2010

mmm i love goat cheese!

Chase @ The Chase Project September 28, 2010

Angela, this looks divine. I will have to give it a try! Although I will probably use regular cheese =)

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) September 28, 2010

That tart looks superb! I never would have thought of making a fake goat cheese out of nuts…wow. Everything looks so tasty, can you send me one through email please?

Amber K September 28, 2010

I definitely need to kick myself in the butt as well! I have had a really, really bad last week. I haven’t been to the gym and with appointments today I know I don’t have time to squeeze one in. I have to make sure to take better care of myself!

Gena September 28, 2010

Your tart came out beautifully, Ange! Love it. And that’s a great, easy way to streamline the goat cheeze making process :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 28, 2010

It’s so hard to get back into working out after taking a break from it! I usually have to take some inspiration from Nike and just do it! :P

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day September 28, 2010

Oh I hear ya! Getting back on track after vacation is soo hard! I got back last night and I’m kicking my butt into gear TODAY, before it gets bad :)

Asima September 28, 2010

Hi Angela!

I went to a restaurant yesterday and thought of you. It is phenomenal! It’s called ‘Raw Aura’, located in Mississauga on Lakeshore. i think you should really check it out!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2010

I have been meaning to try that restaurant actually :) What did you order?

Asima September 29, 2010

I ordered the bruschetta and lasagna. SO good.

jenna September 28, 2010

the goat cheeze sounds so fascinating!! i’m going to have to give it a try…it browned just like real goat cheeze. fun! did you just saute the spinach and then add it?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2010

yes maim!

Paige @ Running Around Normal September 28, 2010

I love waking up in time to see the sun rise:) I usually do too, heh.
Nice job on the run and just making yourself get out there!

Chelsea at Striking Balance September 28, 2010

That tart looks so great. I love goat cheese, so I wonder how close to it the “goat cheeze” actually tastes. Interesting!

Ahh yes the good ole kick in your own butt. I definitely have to do that sometimes when I get busy with school/lazy. I always feel better taking even 30 minutes to myself to workout, but its hard to remind yourself of that when you’re just totally not feeling it.

Jemma @ Celeryandcupcakes.wordpress.com September 28, 2010

I hate trying to get back into a workout routine after a break…why is it so hard!!!

Miranda @ MirandasJeans September 28, 2010

OMG that dish looks perfection. So good that I can’t even form a proper sentence to describe it. :-)

Kate September 28, 2010

Ahhh don’t show me these sort of things when I don’t have a proper kitchen in which to make it myself. This. looks. so. good. I’m putting it on my list of “stuff to make when I’m at my parents’ house.”

Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice September 28, 2010

What an interesting sub for goat cheese! I wanna try it out to see how it would taste. It sounds like a delicious combo, just don’t know how much it resembles the real thing.

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA September 28, 2010

That would be such a great dish for a holiday brunch!

It’s been 113 degrees here so yeah, I understand a lack of motivation to exercise.

Tracey September 28, 2010

I agree, the hardest part is STARTING to workout. I get into slumps every now and then where I just don’t have any motivation to get up and move, but once I get started I realize it’s not so bad. It’s getting to that point of realizing that, that is so hard sometimes. Hope you are starting to feel better though! The dish looks amazing that you made!

Therese September 28, 2010

HORRAY FOR ANGELA!!! You saved my “what will I make for dinner?!” question! AND it’ll provide me with dinner for my two night classes this week! You’re AWESOME!

Yeah, I certainly know how hard it is to get re-motivated. Blarg! It sucks!

Stefanie @thenewhealthy September 28, 2010

Yum, yum, and yum! Yet another addition to my list of my things to make!

tina September 28, 2010

if you’re intiminated by the coffee machine, i’m intiminated by this recipe!!!

i’ll make you coffee if you send me this dish! looks so delish!

i’ve also been right there with you, but once you step out the front door, turn up some good tunes, you are good to go! and as i always like to say to my clients when i’m teaching (fitness classes)… SMILE, send the neurons to your brain that you’re having fun!

Clare @ Fitting It All In September 28, 2010

Totally agree on the workout thing – after a few days away it can be impossible to get back into a routine! I try to make myself go on a quick run after a toxic weekend, even if I am tired and hungover, becuase I KNOW it will make me feel better!

Anne@ Food Loving Polar Bear September 28, 2010

Love the pink polaroid :D

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 28, 2010

I want that tart!!! Holy cow that looks delicious!!! I’m pretty sure I need to make this bad boy!!

Jodie September 28, 2010

Yummy!!! i am coming over for dinner.;)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 28, 2010

“starting a workout is the hardest part. “–YES it is!!! The first mile is always the longest and hardest and sometimes it’s not til halfway thru my running, walking, yoga, lifting, whatever it is that Im doing that I “get into it”. 99% of the time I do eventually find my zone. But yes, you just gotta start and give yourself a kick in your own butt some times!

Early to bed, early to rise is the opposite of me based on my routine and work but whenever one finds those precious hours of the day to work out or find some peace and zen…that’s a beautiful thing :)

Kate@andwhenshesays September 28, 2010

Um. Yum. That tart looks increeedible!

I love that YOU’RE loving getting up early. It can be tough at first but since you’re motivated I think you got over the hump faster than some. It was amazing to me how quickly it became a habit – it’s a little tougher now that it’s dark longer, but there is absolutely nothing like fresh, early morning air. And it’s so great at 8 or 9:00 to look at all you’ve accomplished already!

Emily September 28, 2010

This looks great! I also loved the recap of all your delicious foods from home since your trip. Being away always makes your own kitchen so inviting; it gives you a new inspiration to be creative!!

Valerie September 28, 2010

I love your onion photos! I’m like that too… even though I’m not as much of a foodie, I do take pictures of interesting or pretty foods, and my parents always make fun of it. I had this gorgeous picture of a red pepper on our kitchen counter back in middle school, and part of me didn’t want anyone to eat it :) I also have a picture I took of this oddly shaped orange we had… it looked almost like a pear. I know that once I finally start cooking some real meals, I will be snapping photos left and right!

It’s great that you were able to combine childhood passions to do what you really love :)

Faith @ lovelyascharged September 28, 2010

Seriously, this looks exquisite! I’m excited to see how your Parisian eats influence what you’ll be making now. Your photography really makes everything look so appetizing!!!

Ellani September 28, 2010

What was your variation on the goat cheeze?
I can only get my hands on roasted, salted macadmias, so I would be very interested in a viable variation to macadamias. Thanks!!!!

Amykinz (foodie4healing) September 28, 2010

I completely agree on the workout front. It’s so hard to get started again, but once I do, I always feel like a new woman!

Julie @ "Hotlegs Runner" September 28, 2010

You take awesome pictures! I always get hungry whenever I visit your site! =)

Moni'sMeals September 28, 2010

Are you kidding me with that tart! Outrageous! looks so tasty. ;)
Good for you on fitting in 3 workouts on your trip.
I leave for Maui in 4 days, I plan on working out outside!

Erin D. September 28, 2010

I can totally relate to lacking motivation to excercise. We all have days like that! I had no desire to run yesterday, but once I got out on the Chicago lakefront, I was so glad I that I’d kicked my own butt out the door! :) Self-discipline can be tough.

Lisa @ bakebikeblog September 28, 2010

Oh Angela – this tart looks so fantastic! You have done such a great job :)

Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey September 28, 2010

Your pictures are so amazing, gosh. Do you take them all outside, or is the lighting in your kitchen really that magnificent?!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2010

My kitchen lighting is horrible! I have to move everything to the dining room window :) Much better. Its a pain in the butt but so worth it.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape September 28, 2010

Oooh, this looks GOOD.

Ashley September 28, 2010

Wow!!!! Totally impressed with this dish. Yowza! I get the same way with working out…when something interrupts me from a few workouts, [trip, being sick, moving, etc] it’s hard to get back in the swing! When we moved I had about a 10 day stretch where I didn’t work out at all. I was hauling boxes around, but it was not enough. I searched out a pool, mapped some bike routes, got back in the zone and am feeling SO great! :)

Page 2 of 3«123»