Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

Good morning!

Miraculously, I’m still waking up around 5-5:30am since I have been back. I want this early to rise, early to bed streak to become a habit because I have fallen in love with the early morning again. I will be having a discussion tomorrow on early rising and the timing of meals, so stay tuned for that.

But, for now, tarts. It’s all about the tarts this week.

Do you ever see a picture so beautiful that it literally makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside?

20100927IMG 3475 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

That is what this onion did to me this morning!

And is why I love photography. There is nothing I love more than to see beauty in real life, capture it on camera, and share this beauty with others.

20100927IMG 3474 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

When I was a child and teenager my entire family used to call me ‘The Little Tourist’ because I took so many pictures.

As I always say, look to your childhood for answers about your passions!

I have always had a love for photography. Even back in the day, when I was fascinated with our Pink Polaroid Camera…

p1070205 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

Now, that’s hot.

[source]

From organic farmer,

20100927IMG 3476 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

To skillet,

20100927IMG 3493 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

To table.

20100927IMG 3539 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

Mushroom, Spinach, & Onion Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

Goat Cheeze inspired by Choosing Raw.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup white Kamut flour (or all-purpose)
  • 1/4 cup Earth Balance buttery stick
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 4-4.5 tbsp almond milk
  • 2.5-3 cups mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1.5 cups packed spinach
  • 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • Goat Cheeze: 1/2 cup macadamia nut butter, 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice, black pepper, sea salt, to taste

Directions: Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a tart pan or alternatively you can simply roll out the dough, trim, and place on parchment on a baking sheet. To assemble the dough: In a stand mixer with a dough hook (or by hand), mix the flour, salt, butter, and almond milk together. Use your hands when necessary to form into a ball. Place in fridge for 20 mins. to chill. While it is chilling prepare the onions and mushrooms. In a skillet over medium-low heat, add in 2-3 tbsp oil and the sliced onion. Cook onion over low for about 10 minutes until it caramelizes and slightly browns. Remove dough from fridge and lightly flour your surface. Roll out dough to desired size and place into tart pan (see this post for more pictures of the process). Pierce dough with a fork and place in the oven for 13-16 minutes at 400F to pre-bake. While it is baking, add the sliced mushrooms and garlic to the onion mixture and cook over low-medium heat for another 10 minutes. Add in the spinach and cook for another 5 minutes until wilted. Make the goat cheeze by mixing 1/2 cup macadamia nut butter, 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice, black pepper, and approx 1/8th tsp sea salt. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary. When tart is done pre-baking, remove from oven and spread on a layer of olive oil with a brush to keep the crust moist. Now, layer on the mushroom and onion mixture. Now add on clumps of goat cheeze. Bake in over for another 5 minutes or so, watching carefully, until golden in colour.

Note: Makes enough dough and filling to make two 3×12 inch tarts. You can also make mini tarts or even use a cupcake pan if you don’t have mini tart pans. As a third option, simply roll out your dough, trim the edges to form a rectangle, and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Score the edges to form a crust.

20100927IMG 3487 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

20100927IMG 3495 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

I didn’t have enough mushrooms and onion (maybe half of what was required), so I had to make due without. I suggest using the quantity recommended in the recipe so you can really fill your tart to the brim. I found my filling was very sparse.

20100927IMG 3494 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

20100927IMG 3503 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

20100927IMG 3504 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

I would have preferred double the filling than what I had…

20100927IMG 3509 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

This ‘goat cheeze’ was fun! I didn’t have macadamia nuts, so I made a modified version of Gena’s Goat cheese.

20100927IMG 3517 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

20100927IMG 3518 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

Oops I forgot the spinach!

Much better.

20100927IMG 3528 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

I love how the goat cheeze browned in the oven. Very authentic looking!

20100927IMG 3539 thumb1   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

The goat cheeze was slightly dry, so I think next time I wouldn’t cook it for as long. Maybe just 5 minutes to retain the moisture.

20100927IMG 3543 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

It tasted wonderful! Very authentic tasting for a vegan tart.

20100927IMG 3531 thumb   Mushroom, Onion, & Spinach Tart with ‘Goat Cheeze’

Now for the one thing I really struggled with since getting back from my trip…

EXERCISE!

While on our trip, my sister and I were a great team. The night before, she would convince me that getting up at 6am while on vacation to workout was a good idea and when the alarm went off the next morning, I dragged her butt out of bed. We worked in complete harmony.

Except for that morning after a night of too much wine, when we both looked at each other with that knowing look and snuggled up under the warm bed sheets for a couple more hours. I had three workouts out of 6 days while away. I consider that a success being jet-lagged and all. We never did regret one of those early morning workouts!

However, once I got home, my motivation disappeared.

I came home to cloudy, cold, and rainy weather and to make matters worse, I felt under the weather myself. I decided to let my body tell me when it was ready to workout again.

Thursday passed, as did Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Nothing.

Not even the slightest desire to workout.

Then I realized that I could go for weeks if I didn’t intervene! This was quite silly, all I had to do was put on my sneakers and sweat. Was it really that bad?

So yesterday, I ran 3 miles and I felt like a new woman afterwards. I always say, starting a workout is the hardest part.

And yes, sometimes, a swift kick to my own butt is necessary to get those workout juices going once again. [Side note: Kicking your own butt is not easy!]

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg September 28, 2010

Oh my goodness…this is one of the most beautiful dishes I’ve seen in quite a while!!! SO pretty!!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is September 28, 2010

I am loving the tart and would devour that! It looks incredible.
And I think it can always be tough to get back into it once we are away from exercise. I just always try to remind myself HOW good I feel. Usually after 1-2 workouts I’m back at it!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine September 28, 2010

THAT LOOKS SO GOOD!! Besides the mushrooms, hehe…they’re the only veggie I don’t like (and oh, how I’ve tried), but I’m thinking I can sub another veggie for them…ohh my mom would love this, thanks for sharing!

Ashley September 28, 2010

I would try zucchini if you don’t like mushrooms. I bet even cubed new potatoes would be great here too. Or b’nut squash!

Okay, I’m getting too excited. :-)

Dani @ Body By Nature September 28, 2010

This tart looks delicious! Do you know what kind of mushrooms you used, they look good!

Monika @ ForeverImprovingGirl September 28, 2010

I’m really looking forward to the next post! A few months ago I started waking up at 5am every morning and i LOVE it, but between that and being vegan my meal scheduling has been all over the place (I usually end up having 2 small meals before lunch comes around – althought since I also work out in the morning I guess that’s not suprising).

Good job on working out during your vacation!

Tina September 28, 2010

I want to come live with you to wake up to those smells in the morning. Mmmmm!!!

And I agree that getting back into the swing of exercise is the hardest part. After the first workout or two, its much easier to do. Good job getting it done!

Alice September 28, 2010

One of the things I love most about your blog is the beautiful photography!
Even if your posts were not about something which I enjoy reading about (however they ALWAYS are!) I would still visit just to oogle at the pretty eyecandy.
You have a real eye for composition!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman September 28, 2010

That tart is gorgeous. I hate onions, but even I want to try it!

stacey-healthylife September 28, 2010

The tart looks so pretty. I love all your kitchen accessories, so cute.

Lisa September 28, 2010

That looks so tasty and it looks SO appetizing!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 28, 2010

Great looking tart Angela!
I see you’ve gotten lots of food inspiration from your Paris trip, eh?

Freya September 28, 2010

Well done on the 3! I saw you debating it on Twitter :P
The tart looks faaab!! Do you come up with all the measurements from your head, or do you look at other recipes for inspiration?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2010

Tks!
For these measurements I simply used all of the ingredients I had….saw how it worked…and then based the final measurements on that (I think I tripled what I used) to allow for an extra tart + more filling.

Charlie September 28, 2010

This tart looks amazing!!

Mushrooms Canada September 28, 2010

You never fail to amaze me Angela with your mushroom recipes… this one, just like all the others, is brilliant. Thanks for sharing!
- Brittany

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 28, 2010

Thank you!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 28, 2010

Oooh very pretty! Just thought I’d mention that I have the same basting brush as you except mine is blue lol. And that pink polaroid certainly IS hot. :)

Sabine @ thefruitpersuit September 28, 2010

that’s a tasty looking dish! I’ve recently fallen in love with goat cheese though, so I might have to sub ‘goat cheese’ for goat cheese ;).

Alaina - The Jogging Concierge September 28, 2010

It really is hard for me too to get into a routine again when you take a few days off. That first workout always feels like the best “refresher” for me.

Maya September 28, 2010

Paris has made you even more ridiculous. And I mean ridiculous in the best way possible. Your fruit tarts looked absolutely scrumptious and it was my favorite PFB entry (shh don’t tell anyone!) This tart looks fabulous, too, what an inspired idea with the goat cheeze topping! Hard to believe the tart is 100% vegan. I can’t wait until you tackle croissants!

Allison @ Food For Healing September 28, 2010

yumm, now i’m hungry, and i just woke up haha

The Peanut Butter Addict September 28, 2010

I agree that just getting started on exercise is harder than actually doing it sometimes.

alexa @ Sohdalex September 28, 2010

That is totally true. Looking back at your childhood passions is a beautiful idea. I’ve been eating spinach and goat cheese tarts so much over here! It is nice to see a vegan variation of them, good job!

nicole September 28, 2010

That tart looks awesome!!!
And I have to comment on the Polaroid…I used to have the same one. I was just taliking about how cool I thought I was when I walked aroudn with that thing!! And yeah, I always took pictures when I was a kid, and to this day my friends call me when they need old pics from elementary through hs and even college because I never left my house without a camera. I still try not to (my camera is a little nicer than the ones I had back then!) lol

JenATX September 28, 2010

hey, we all have those certain weeks when we fall off the workout wagon! glad to hear you’re back on the wagon though :)

Laura @ Tidbits September 28, 2010

Wow that tart looks amazing!!!!!
I hear you about getting the motivation to kick yourself in the butt and get in gear again after time off! I’ve been off for over a week now due to a bad cold and desperately need to get my shoes on and push my little behind out the door and run!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans September 28, 2010

I agree that it can be tough to get back into a routine. I try to rely on momentum and avoid breaks but hey, life happens and we can’t always avoid the interruptions whether we like it or not. I have been using goals like 1/2 marathon training as a personal butt kick. Good for you for getting yourself back on track!!

Camille September 28, 2010

Oh my goodness! What a stunningly beautiful meal!
Kudos!

Seglare September 28, 2010

What a delicious looking tart! :) I also love the addition of “goat cheeze” – that sounds very interesting.

Marina September 28, 2010

I love savory tarts, this one has such amazing ingredients!
Spinach and shrooms go so well together

Krista (kristastes) September 28, 2010

I love mushrooms, onions and goat cheese, oh my! Can you please be my personal chef? :)

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies September 28, 2010

That tart is absolutely gorgeous! and I agree…getting started is the hardest part. For me, once I’m at the gym I’m in my own little, happy world…getting there is the obstacle. haha

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries September 28, 2010

I am a huge lover of “real” goat cheese, but this still looks so good! I’m not a fan of exercising on vacation, although I’m impressed you were able to squeeze it in! I’d much rather plan to be on my feet more and do things like walking than lace up my running sneakers. Glad you are feeling like yourself again!

faith @ gracefulfitness September 28, 2010

3 out of 6 is awesome! And really, do we every regret working out? I tell myself this one every time I feel a resistance to getting moving.
The tart looks INCREDIBLE! And I love shiitakes and spinach and they are such a power-team of superfoods!

Candice @ChiaSeedMe September 28, 2010

This is an incredible post, girl. I love it! The pictures are just glowing:)

Lauren M. September 28, 2010

I understand the lack of motivation to workout after a trip. That’s usually how I am, too. But I’ve learned by now that I’m not 100% my best self unless I’m running or biking just about every day. Keep running! You can do it!

Joslyn @ missfitbliss September 28, 2010

The photos are absolutely beautiful. What a lovely tart!

Carolyn @ lovinlosing September 28, 2010

That tart is beautiful, I might have to try something similar when I get back from vacation. I even have homemade (not by me) goat cheese in the refrigerator.

I feel your pain on the workouts. I even discussed it on my blog this morning. I have a tendency to put off runs because I’m nervous they won’t go well.

Wei-Wei September 28, 2010

I wouldn’t consider it “falling off the wagon” since you’re so fit already, but it’s really hard to get back to a habit if you take a break for a while… I know this from experience :P Your tart looks amazing!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 28, 2010

Mmmm I loovee caramelized onions and sauteed mushrooms!! That pizza sounds to die for.

Hope you get out of you exercise rut soon! I think the best way to do so is just go out and run- once you get started it’ll be hard to get off of it :)

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 28, 2010

Angela that tart looks so lovely :) I’d be interested to try goat cheeze vs real goat cheese!

I am with you on the workouts — sometimes you just need to lace up your shoes and GET GOING. After a few minutes your body remembers why you do it.

Michelle @ IronDivas September 28, 2010

I have to agree with the previous comments that that is one of the most delicious dishes I have seen in a while… I absolutely am in LOVE with mushrooms… and my heart almost skipped a beat when I saw that photo : )

Page 1 of 3123»