Dark Chocolate Pillows

Alo!

As it turns out, I remember a lot more French than I thought and I am officially the translator and communicator for this trip. It is fun to use it again! I love being able to communicate in another language.

After breakfast we headed out on foot to explore more of this great city. And by explore, I mean we made a beeline to the closest chocolaterie.

20100918-IMG_7399

You do not window shop in here!

20100918-IMG_7398

20100918-IMG_7400

My favourite picture so far on this trip…

20100918-IMG_7404

All kinds of epic.

20100918-IMG_7401

20100918-IMG_7411

20100918-IMG_7406

20100918-IMG_7405

20100918-IMG_7407

20100918-IMG_7408

I REALLY want this nut butter. I decided to walk away (for now).

20100918-IMG_7412

I’ll show you what I bought at the end of this post!

20100918-IMG_7423

Then we were off to explore more and head to lunch before embarking on a city bus tour.

20100918-IMG_7433 20100918-IMG_7434

For lunch, we decided on Rotonde des Tuileries.

20100918-IMG_7542

I started with green tea.

20100918-IMG_751920100918-IMG_7517

20100918-IMG_752120100918-IMG_7527

My mom ordered the vegetarian sandwich with cheese and fries.

20100918-IMG_7530

She loved the sandwich.

20100918-IMG_7531

Sis had a Greek salad that she also enjoyed.

20100918-IMG_7529

I had my first French Baguette!

20100918-IMG_7533

Total swoon. It was about the size of my leg and I ate every bite. I got the vegetarian baguette (without cheese). My version had carrots, lettuce, tomato, avocado, and lentils. It was awesome and the bread was incredible and fresh.

I also had a side of fries.

20100918-IMG_7538

Then we explored more on foot.

20100918-IMG_7450

20100918-IMG_7510

20100918-IMG_7467

20100918-IMG_7469

20100918-IMG_7482

Dessert:

20100918-IMG_7495

20100918-IMG_7496

Love locks on the bridge! So romantic. I miss Eric.

20100918-IMG_7498

20100918-IMG_7500

Then it was time for our bus tour!

20100918-IMG_7547

20100918-IMG_7553 20100918-IMG_7560

20100918-IMG_7564 20100918-IMG_7571

20100918-IMG_7595 20100918-IMG_7605

20100918-IMG_7623 20100918-IMG_7628

20100918-IMG_7662

20100918-IMG_7629

At this point, it is obvious what a beautiful and stunning city Paris is.

I was slightly surprised just how beautiful it was because I have heard from many people that Paris has a reputation for being: 1) dirty, and 2) unfriendly.

All three of us agreed that it is neither. It is one of the cleanest cities I have ever been in and also one of the friendliest. All of the servers in restaurants have been so helpful, smiling, and kind. I really don’t understand where the rumours come from. Paris is A++.

20100918-IMG_7639

Paris also has a ton of parks, green spaces, and trees. Everyone just lounges on the grass in all of the parks and it has such a cool and relaxed vibe.

And of course people love to watch other people! People watching is a sport here. ;)

20100918-IMG_7661

20100918-IMG_7635

20100918-IMG_7472

20100918-IMG_7618

I’m trying to convince OSGMOM to walk up the Eiffel tower! :) Monday and Tuesday we are doing tours with our Paris Pass.

Now if you’ll excuse me I have dark chocolate and a pillow to tend to. Tomorrow morning is an early morning (6am wake-up call) as we are off to Champagne country for the day on a tour bus with a group of people. It should be great!

20100918-IMG_7668

In my next post I will tell you all about our special dinner tonight. This post might explode if I add one more picture…. ;) Hopefully it uploads with this slow internet connection…

1 Dori September 18, 2010

Amazing! Everything looks so delicious, especially that baguette. Mmmmm bread. Also, the French are nice to you because you’re not American — they can sense it!

2 Allie (Live Laugh Eat) September 18, 2010

You are making me miss Paris so so so much!! The day I did a walking tour it was crisp and cool yet sunny and breezy. Ahhhh. I agree–Paris is so clean and the parks are breathtaking.

3 Nicole (Picky Nicky) September 18, 2010

What lovely pictures! And those chocolates……. how did this drool get on my keyboard? :D

4 Freya (Brit Chick Runs) September 18, 2010

Ohmygohs, that chocolate! Why did I not see that last time I was in Paris!!??
I love that padlock thing – so romantic :) (I was reading about it in the paper today :D)

5 Bethany @ More Fruit Please September 18, 2010

I love your red dress! Oh, and the chocolate, the bread, and Paris. Can we switch lives for the next week? Pretty please?

6 Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies September 18, 2010

Ohhh, la la. Looks absolutely amazing – and all that chocolate. Swwoooon.

7 Bonnie September 18, 2010

I totally agree that Paris is a beautiful city. We had some servers refuse to serve us when they found out we were American. Most people were extremely nice though

8 Corey @ The Runner's Cookie September 18, 2010

Ahh the chocolate looks amazing!! Your pictures make me want to go back…and (omg) the baguettes there are incredible, I had so many while I was there. Also, you look SO much like your sister! :) Have a great time Angela!!

9 Lily @ Lily's Health Pad September 18, 2010

I totally agree! Why does Paris have such a bad rap? Rome = a much different story!!!

10 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine September 18, 2010

This post makes me want to pack up and head for Paris!! I might be going in the spring, so I’m loving your vegan meals- espescially the baguette :) Good thing bread is almost always vegan! Enjoy the rest of your trip!!

11 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 18, 2010

Those chocolate pictures are totally making me want to hop on a plane to Paris right now!

And I would win any sport that involves People Watching, so maybe I was meant to live in Paris :) Enjoy!

12 Alice September 18, 2010

Wow this looks amazing Angela! I have been a self confessed francophile ever since I was 11! I did a french class is year 7 and was then hooked. I fell in love with France and the french way of living. I havent been yet, but will go some day. Until then, I will imagine I am there while reading your posts!
xx

13 Lily September 18, 2010

LOVE your photos! :) One question though…
Why is there a little German flag in your baguette?

14 Emily September 18, 2010

That chocolat shop looks like absolute heaven!!! I don’t know how I would have made it out alive :) From your photos, Paris looks absolutely beautiful!!!

15 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is September 18, 2010

I am living vicariously through you!

16 Kristina @ spabettie September 18, 2010

Michel Cluizel has to me one of my very favorites… I used to run a european deli and we sold all kinds of fun imported candies, and Michel Cluizel was so popular we were constantly ordering more…

I would LOVE to be in that shop!!

17 Katie September 18, 2010

All these photos are amazing! Where did you get your gold sandals in the photo of you and your sister?? I love them!

18 Danielle September 18, 2010

Wow – I feel like a million stories could be told based on each still photo of the city! What a beautiful experience!

19 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day September 18, 2010

Paris should be paying you – you make it look so beautiful that I think lots of bloggers are booking their flights based on chocolate alone!

20 Caitlin (EatFeats) September 18, 2010

I second the love for the red dress! So pretty! Also that broiled cheese on your mother’s sandwich is GLORIOUS!

21 Eimear Rose September 18, 2010

Wow, lovely photos. And your mum looks like another sister! She has an amazing figure- you’re like triplets! Looks like France is hogging all the sunshine in Europe at the moment, it’s so wet and windy in the UK at the moment:(

22 Camille September 18, 2010

Holy yum!
I am salivating…

23 Lin September 18, 2010

Wow, Paris looks amazing! It’s my dad’s favorite city in Europe! I hope you and your family enjoy the rest of your trip!

24 Amykinz September 18, 2010

Angela, can you tell me what kind of running equipment you use? Shoes, water bottle/backpack, clothing, etc? But mostly, I’m interested in what you are using that measures your distance and time? Is it some sort of Garmin GPS watch? Thanks!

25 Jess @ Gluten Freesta September 18, 2010

You make Paris look like the most beautiful and delicious place on earth. Hope you are eating your weight in parisian food (from the looks of it, I think you already are.)

26 Emily September 18, 2010

Can you explain what Love Locks are in your next post?

I LOVED Paris! So beautiful and culturally rich! Make sure you see the Eiffel Tower @ night when it is lit up! One of my favorite memories is riding on a ferry in the evening and watching in amazement! Enjoy!

27 Jenny September 18, 2010

chocolate truffles..oi.

28 Angela September 18, 2010

Wooooow that looks like so much fun!! The chocolaterie.. omg… how on earth did you ever manage to walk out with just one bar of chocolate?? Gorgeous photos Ange, you should open a side business making travel brochures!

29 MoniMeals September 18, 2010

Good Golly! WOWOWOWOW! Thank you so much for taking all of us on your journey! I hope you got some truffles! wink wink :)

30 Ida September 18, 2010

French macaroons are my favorite! You must try one. And if you can create a vegan version that would be amazing. Love the posts from Paris, so fun to travel along with you!

31 Lauren M. September 18, 2010

I can’t believe your self-control in the chocolate shop. When I visited a chocolate factory in switzerland I had to pack it all in its own suitcase to get it all home.

32 Bri September 18, 2010

Ahh your making me miss Paris so much. If weren’t in college in my desired program I would buy a one way ticket to Paris! I found it very clean to and the people were very nice to me. When i was in Italy everyone warned the french are rude but I found it the opposite the Italians were rude to me haha. Enjoy and Bon Appetit!

33 Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl September 18, 2010

Those chocolate pictures look amazing.

I love that people-watching is a sport there! I would fit in perfectly! It’s so fun to watch people from all different walks of life and wonder what got them to that point.right then. on that street. with you. Kinda fun! Have fun!

34 Heather (Heather's Dish) September 18, 2010

yep, it’s official…i’m in love with paris! i can only imagine how ridiculous that bread is…i can almost smell it!

35 Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 18, 2010

This actually made me want to work in a French pastry shop..how awesome would it be to build mounds of chocolate treats?!

Love all the photos, can’t wait to see more!

36 Jennifer September 18, 2010

I agree! The French are soooooo friendly! Ohh, I miss Paris so much. I’m so jealous!

37 Stephanie @ Laugh and Cook September 18, 2010

Oh how I wish I was at the chocolate shop! Your pictures look amazing! I can’t believe them came from your camera! You should create a photo book!

Hope you have a fun safe trip!

38 Andrea September 18, 2010

That picture of the two men people watching is classic! Beautiful photos in general- looks like you’re having a fantastic trip :)

39 Miranda @ MirandasJeans September 18, 2010

OMG I remember that grass just outside the Louve. After we went through the Louve, we were tired and my husband, I and the husbands brother and wife, we all had a snack on the grass. I too my scarf put it over my face and had a nap on the grass. It was wonderful. I recomend a picnic lunch in Jardain Luxemburge.

40 erika September 18, 2010

you can’t leave paris without trying a macraoon and you must try one a laduree

41 Rachael September 18, 2010

Gorgeous! I remember waxing poetic about chocolates amandes and macaroons when I was in Paris. And the people-watching is epic!
I hope the rest of your trip is as beautiful as the pictures you’re supplying us with – thanks for the travel-eye-candy!

42 Meredith September 18, 2010

Ah I love your pictures and stories! I went to Paris last year with my love. You will have to bring Eric with you next time.

43 Bridget September 18, 2010

J’adore le chocolat! C’est delicieux! A chocoholics dream
My family and I practically lived off of baguette when we were in France, to which I did not object ;)

44 Kristen @ Kristen, Sweetly September 18, 2010

It looks wonderful!

When I saw the photo of the two women walking on the street, I started thinking about how I would look / fit in in another country, and I wondered if I would blend in with them… Then I realized it was your mom and sister! :-p You’ve got it down, ladies.

45 Julie September 18, 2010

Lol, we must have gone to a different Paris’ then. : ) When I went, it was dirty, rude and it rained the whole time. (So much for Paris in the spring…) I thought Tier was WAY more beautiful.

46 Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA September 18, 2010

These are my favorite blog posts ever. I love seeing your beautiful photography well put to use in the amazing city of Paris.

When I went I was also expecting it to be overrated, that the people would be rude, and the sidewalks covered in dog poop – and I found nothing of the sort. Everyone was nice (but I always tried to speak French as much as possible) and the city is beyond gorgeous.

47 Bee Goes Bananas September 18, 2010

Wow, all of that chocolate is making my mouth water. Yum!

48 Marie-Lise September 19, 2010

I’m so glad you’re enjoying Paris! It is such a wonderful & stunning city to walk around. Your pics are great- makes me miss France and in particular Paris so much ( although French, I have now been living in Belgium for 3 years) Have a great time in Champagne- quite something too!

49 Jaclyn September 19, 2010

So jealous you are in PARIS!! I’ve been once, for three days only and it was a billion degrees lol. Hope you are having a fabulous time–sure looks like it!!

50 Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) September 19, 2010

It looks like you are having a fab time. Paris really is a beautiful city and I haven never found it to be dirty or unfriendly either. I love it. :)

51 Seglare September 19, 2010

Such beautiful pictures! :) It looks like you’re having a wonderful time so far. I can’t wait to read about your adventures (and most of all, see your pictures ;)) in Champagne.

52 Shelley September 19, 2010

Ok WOW that shop looks like my idea of heaven! And that food, I must go to Paris!

Also, I’ve nominated you for an award on my blog if you wanted to have a look :)

53 Little Bookworm September 19, 2010

That chocolat shop looks amazing, and that nut butter sounds great as well. Hope you have a great tour of champagne country!

54 Dee September 19, 2010

OH! I love people watching! How cool! Loving the candid shots in these posts! :)

55 Jillian @ Reshape Your Life September 19, 2010

I love these posts! I’m so glad you have internet connection in Paris!

I would LOVE to speak french fluently… Le sigh… ;)

56 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice September 19, 2010

Those chocolate treats all look so beautiful! Looks like you are having an amazing time.

57 Rebecca September 19, 2010

Everything in Paris looks beautiful! I love french :) I take french at school and i’m really interested in the culture.. last year we went to Quebec and Montreal and oh my lordie, i had never seen anything that gorgeous before! The food was to die for, but i don’t think it was very healthy at all.. lots of maple syrup everywhere! French do love their food :) Do they have many vegan options in France? I’m looking forward to possibly travelling there when i’m older! It looked like you had fun :)

58 Faith @ lovelyascharged September 19, 2010

Ange, you are so lucky! This is seriously a once in a lifetime experience!!!

59 AGS September 19, 2010

Lovely, lovely, lovely. It is such a treat to “tag along” with you on this delightful trip. It almost feels a bit like a vacation to look at the city/cafes/etc through your eyes. Enjoy every minute of each day.

60 Megan @ Sweet On September 19, 2010

I was in Paris last December and I also thought everyone was so nice! I think as long as you make an effort with the language and are respectful, they are happy to have you. They were some of the friendliest people I’ve met travelling! :)

61 christina cadden September 19, 2010

It looks so pretty there!

62 Anne@ Food Loving Polar Bear September 19, 2010

Oh Paris!all these pictures remind me of our trip to Paris in 2008.. I heart France :)

63 Tamara September 19, 2010

I’m exploding with jealousy. My sweetie doesn’t want to put Paris on our travel list because he visited family there when he was young and wants to put the money elsewhere–maybe I should rope my mother into seeing it with me too. You and your sister look like you fit right in with the Parisian fashionistas!

64 Chantal September 19, 2010

Really glad my home country is treating you well :) Plus, I think Paris in the fall is by FAR the best time to go there!

If I can recommend one thing to you, you HAVE to go to a Creperie called “Le Sarrasin et le Froment,” it’s on l’Ile Saint Louis (the island that’s next to l’Ile de la Cite where Notre Dame is) and is at the North end of la Rue Saint Louis en L’Ile (I believe it’s #84 or #86). I know there are about 1,000 creperies in Paris, but trust me, this is the best one hands down. Their Chocolate Maison crepe (which I’m pretty sure is vegan, or I told myself it was) is to die for, but you can’t go wrong with any of their choices. Have fun!!!

65 Gina @ Gina Eats Beans September 19, 2010

What beautiful ladies you all are! Looks like you are all having a lovely time. I have an itch to travel now.

66 Amber K September 19, 2010

How funny, because that is exactly what I experience while in Paris! Dirty, grimy streets, and rude, unfriendly people!

Well actually, one woman was really very nice. But in a store I heard the cashier talking to the person in front of me in English. I thought “Score! I don’t have to butcher the language here.” Nope…all of a sudden the cashier magically forgot English and refused to talk to me. Eventually someone else stepped in talking in rapid French and I was handed what I was asking for. I was so embarassed!

67 Lea @ Healthy Coconut September 19, 2010

You are in my definition of chocolate heaven right now :) I am scrolling down very slowly on my computer to make the chocolate last.

You should bring some chocolate home and then auction it off for charity. Good idea right? I’ll be the first bidder.

68 Tiainspace September 19, 2010

I’ll be in Paris in November. I’m SO glad to hear that you managed OK with the restaurants, I have always heard such harsh warnings. Fingers crossed that my trip goes as smoothly ;)

69 Lisa September 19, 2010

WOW!! Those chocolates look amazing. I’d be in HEAVEN in that store!

70 Marci September 19, 2010

Love your Paris stories! I was just there in December for the first time. Makes me want to go back! I climbed the Eiffel Tower–the line was much shorter to walk than to use the elevator! It wasn’t too bad. Don’t know if I’d do it again in hot weather, but it was cold so it was great!

71 Gree September 19, 2010

Look at those chocolates! It looks like a great trip so far and I love the pictures!

72 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 19, 2010

You are totally letting me relive my trip to paris last summer. I agree, paris is neither dirty NOR unfriendly!!!

73 Kelcie September 19, 2010

Paris is lovely. I’ve enjoyed each of my trips there as well. I spent a semester studying in France, so I got lots of exposure to how the French live! I think the “dirty” reputation is because people take their dogs round with them more often there and sometimes the dogs relieve themselves on the sidewalk instead of in the grass. But I think the city is working on keeping that cleaned up. (It’s just a French thing in general.) And sometimes they are unfriendly, but hey, you can find mean or nice people anywhere. And you are right about the relaxed vibe there. Europeans are much more laid back about things, which is really nice. They take time out to smell the roses and really enjoy life!

74 Sava September 19, 2010

Paris looks like so much fun!
I haven’t made many trips outside of the good ol’ USA (and by ‘not many’ I mean I’ve left twice).
I have a slight fear of being in unfamiliar places / situations, but I’m thinking I should get over that and really experience all the beauty in the world!

75 deisegirl September 20, 2010

Last summer we were in London for a long weekend and as my dad and other half are big trainspotters (g-eek!) and I’ve always wanted to see Versailles we got the Eurostar to Paris. The train was great but the minute we got into the station in Paris, I just felt we were under siege from hustlers! Then the rest of the day was just spent not trying to p1ss angry French people off! Versailles was as beautiful as I’d imagined but I must say Paris left such a sour taste in my mouth and I don’t want to go back either because I have the rest of the continent to explore. Definitely didn’t look dirty to me though!

76 Maria @ Kale and Cupcakes September 20, 2010

Oh my. Paris looks absolutely, insanely wonderful. Must plan a trip there soon!!!

77 Kristy September 20, 2010

I’m so greatful you didnt go MIA while you are in Paris! I love love love all the pictures and stories! Keep um comin! ;-)

78 Sarah September 20, 2010

OMG! You are totally making me nostalgic! My hubby and I were just there a year ago. I can’t wait to go back. Please tell me you are going to Laduree for macaroons – it’s an absolute MUST!

79 Dominique October 3, 2010

I never considered myself a fan of chocolate until I found some really good quality dark chocolate. I was totally hooked. I try not to keep any dark chocolate in the house anymore in fear of consuming it in record-breaking speed.

And baguettes! They’re one of my fave memories from my second trip to Paris almost a decade ago. My best friend and I were there for a week and had a ham and cheese baguette practically every day. I’m swooning over all your photos.