The Blackstrap Reunion

I have to warn you, you are about to witness a blackstrap molasses feast over the next little while.

20100909IMG 2768 thumb   The Blackstrap Reunion

Buckle up, it’s going to be a fun ride.

20100909IMG 2762 thumb   The Blackstrap Reunion

20100909IMG 2769 thumb   The Blackstrap Reunion

20100909IMG 2775 thumb   The Blackstrap Reunion

Yesterday, my wholesale order reunited me with my beloved Blackstrap Molasses. I have been out of it for a long time. Too long, my friends, too long. I love blackstrap molasses and all the delicious creations it touches from ginger bread to Wedded Bliss ginger cookies to Maple baked beans and everything in between.

20100909IMG 2759 thumb   The Blackstrap Reunion

Blackstrap molasses is the tallest, darkest, and most handsome of all things syrup. But it’s not just a pretty face. It boasts a nutritional profile that will make you weak in the knees.

In just 1 tablespoon:

• 175 mg of calcium,
  • 3.6 mg of iron,
  • 45 mg of magnesium,
  • 510 mg potassium

How bout them apples!

Blackstrap molasses is a great supplement to any diet, not just for vegans, but for women in general. Most of us could use a boost of calcium and iron now and then.

So…..I cracked it open and did what any normal human being would do; I made Gingerbread Pumpkin Vegan Overnight Oats!

20100910IMG 2796 thumb   The Blackstrap Reunion

20100910IMG 2799 thumb   The Blackstrap Reunion

Loved it. So much so that I ate the VOO I prepared yesterday and had to make a new batch before bed!

This recipe has some bite to it. If you find that the molasses is too strong in this recipe, you can always adjust it to your taste. Try adding more pumpkin or milk if it is too strong. I added 1/2 tbsp maple syrup to tone down the sharp molasses taste just a bit. It worked perfectly.

20100910IMG 2810 thumb   The Blackstrap Reunion

I couldn’t get enough of this.

20100910IMG 2804 thumb   The Blackstrap Reunion

For more fun Vegan overnight oat parfaits, check out these recipes:

Chocolate Cake Batter Vegan Overnight Oats

Cherry Chocolate Bomb Vegan Overnight Oats

IMG 9383 thumb   The Blackstrap Reunion

Banana Soft Serve Vegan Overnight Oats

IMG 5992   The Blackstrap Reunion

Banana Split Vegan Overnight Oats

IMG 48652 thumb   The Blackstrap Reunion

I thought I would share with you some of my favourite websites. They will keep you entertained for hours and hours!

Sites I love

What non food blog websites do you love to visit?

Now go have some Friday Fun!

Lauren M. September 10, 2010

I don’t know if it’s just southern california, but pumpkin is NON EXISTENT due to a pumpkin shortage last year. I tried my best to stock up for the year, but I just ran out of my last can about a month ago and all your pumpkin recipes are making me so sad because there is no way to make them. Whole pumpkins arent available yet either and butternut squash just isnt the same. :(

Heather McClees September 11, 2010

I knew I loved you! Your gingerbread VOO are almost like the ice cream I made on my post today!! I’m going to try your adaptation tomorrow!:)

CAN’T Wait:)

H McClees

Laural September 11, 2010

Here’s a great recipe you could veganize w/ your matcha tea :)
I’ve been wanting to try but haven’t found any of the tea.

Also a funny website conveniently called:

Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey September 11, 2010

Whoa, cool! I have never used blackstrap molasses before. I’m not sure I’d know what to do with it, lol.

Cassidy September 13, 2010

Love you site…and this is one of my very favorite non food blogs. It is hilarious.

Rachel September 16, 2010

Chelseatalkssmack.blogspot.com

Amazing writer.

Thank you for your delicious recipes. My tummy has been happy since I found your blog :-)

Annie (Delicious Wellness) September 29, 2010

Hi Angela, I made these oo last night, and followed the directions exactly, but doubled it (including the almond milk). They came out tasty, but super super super milky. When you double it, do you use less milk?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 29, 2010

Hmmm, I’m not sure! Perhaps less milk would be needed….

Lauren S October 14, 2010

I made these oats last night and just ate them for breakfast this morning. They are soooo good. All of my favorite Fall flavors in one bowl. Oh, and I just love your blog! All of your recipes look great.

Caroline December 9, 2012

So, I tried making these yesterday, and mine were soupy! In the pictures, yours look thicker and more viscous. Are yours normally thicker or do they firm up in the fridge?

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 10, 2012

I will occasionally get the soupy batch too – next time I suggest reducing the amount of almond milk a bit. Also, the chia seeds are needed to absorb the milk (not sure if you included them? but that could be a reason too)

Caroline December 10, 2012

Thank you for the reply! I did leave out the chia seeds because I could not find them at Kroger. I will make sure to find them and include them in my next batch!

Jessica Dorrington January 27, 2013

Can I just say “I LOVE YOUR BLOG!” Love love love! I’m not even a vegan, but everything I’ve tried from here has been amazing. Thank you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) January 28, 2013

Aw thank you Jessica!

Margaret Flay April 10, 2013

A new non-food blog well worth checking out is http://www.lifeinblush.com/blog.

Linda October 28, 2013

I think I did something wrong, but I don’t know what. My gingerbread oats are like soup this morning!! It tastes nice, but is totally watery. I even tried warming it up, but to no avail. What happened?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 28, 2013

Hi Linda, I’m sorry to hear that! I would mix in another tablespoon or so of chia seeds and let it sit in the fridge for another 15-25 minutes. That should thicken it right up!

Linda October 28, 2013

Thanks! I ate them as a soup, but I will up the chia and lower the milk tonight.

B Lee November 19, 2013

Sorry, but I followed this Ginger pumpkin oat parfait to the letter, and it was a total failure. Was more like pumpkin soup. Yuck. Nevermore.

Courtenay December 5, 2013

This was delicious for breakfast! I’m always looking for more ways to get my iron! Do you have a recipe for hot or baked gingerbread oatmeal?

Angela Stark February 5, 2014

I love your blog and your recipes – thank you! Looking forward to the book too! I recently tried to make your gingerbread VOO though and two attempts failed. the oats didn’t absorb – it ended up not looking like a porridge. Any advice – thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) February 6, 2014

Hi Angela, You can reduce the amount of liquid next time and try increasing the chia seeds a bit too. Hope this helps!

Page 3 of 3«123