High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

20100908IMG 2684 thumb   High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Eric loves mashed potatoes.

I mean, he really loves mashed potatoes.

He has been hinting on a daily basis that mashed potatoes would be a great way to ‘use up’ our stock pile of red potatoes courtesy of our Plan B CSA.

I said, ‘Sounds good, when ya making them?’ ;)

I have successfully evaded his hints for the past few weeks as I dreamed about making another batch of Homemade Salt & Vinegar Chips. Who needs mashed potatoes when you can make chips?

It’s not that I don’t like mashed potatoes. Really I do. I just love them when they are creamy, garlicky, smooth ‘n chunky, skins and all. Buttery, salty, piled with salsa or ketchup. It is fun to dress them up.

They are total comfort food.

However, my issue is that by the time I remember to add them as a side dish, it is already too late and I don’t have enough time to cook them. I tell myself, ‘I will make them tomorrow’ and then they get buried under veggies, forgotten about for weeks. Then I start to see snake-like sprouts trying to escape from the crisper and I run in the opposite direction like a little baby.

I also never think to use potatoes as a main dish because they lack protein and staying power.

I vowed to change that by amping up the protein.

Watch out Eric, you better be careful of what you wish for. ;)

20100908IMG 2659 thumb   High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

20100908IMG 2667 thumb   High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Add some elbow grease and work out those arms! ;)

20100908IMG 2668 thumb   High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Add almond milk…

20100908IMG 2669 thumb   High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

and Earth Balance (or what you have on hand!)…

20100908IMG 2670 thumb   High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

We are huge fans of leaving the skins in the mashed potatoes. It adds a great texture and more nutrients (although I wouldn’t suggest leaving the skin on if you use non-organic as potatoes are part of the dirty dozen and are high in pesticides).

Drain beans.

20100908IMG 2664 thumb   High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Process 2 cans of navy beans (3-3.5 cups), garlic, salt, and paprika in food processor until almost smooth…

20100908IMG 2675 thumb   High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

The bean mixture will taste amazing. Spoon some into mouth.

Yum.

Add bean mixture to potato mixture and mash ‘em up!

20100908IMG 2677 thumb   High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Wheeeee.

20100908IMG 2678 thumb   High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Sprinkle with remaining paprika, black pepper, and more salt.

20100908IMG 2686 thumb   High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

I left them a bit chunky because Eric likes them that way. It’s a texture thing when they are too smooth, I guess. ;)

20100908IMG 2690 thumb   High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Adding navy beans to mashed potatoes is a great way to make them protein rich and sneak in some nutrition without anyone being the wiser.

They are now high in protein and delicious.

20100908IMG 2680 thumb   High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Eric and I used these potatoes as the main dish for our meal. I added some cooked veggies and stirred them in. It was delicious and very filling! Eric thought they were awesome and he had no idea they contained beans! Success.

20100908IMG 2679 thumb   High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

I will see you tomorrow morning. :) I will be talking about what activities I did post-10k race to expedite the recovery process! Enjoy your evening.

Tracey September 9, 2010

Mashed potatoes is something I rarely make also, but Chris looooves them. He calls the smushed taters, haha, he’s a little kid at heart. I will have to try this recipe out, it looks great and will hopefully please his need for “smushed taters” and my need for a nutritious meal.

melissa roby September 9, 2010

I started reading your blog about a month ago….although I don’t post it on my blog…I find our pasts are pretty similar…I have spent so much time and energy wasted on distorted thoughts about my body and food…as I get older it does get better…I am realizing life is too short and there is soooo much more in life worth my focus….you have given me inspiration every day though….thank you!!!

Elli @ 16 and Losing It September 9, 2010

What a great idea to add beans! I would never have thought of that ! I can’t wait to try this!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) September 10, 2010

LOOOOOOOOOVE this idea :D The only thing that would make it better is a head of roasted garlic ;) mmmmmmmmmmm

T September 27, 2010

I made these tonight, so good! I wouldn’t have known there were beans in them. Definitely making these from now on!

Afrina May 10, 2012

Hi!

This sounds amazing ! I was wondering If I could substitute anything for the earth balance ? I’m experimenting with a dairy- free diet due to dairy sensitivity, but I also don’t have any earth balance on hand and I don’t want to buy one for one recipe. Would coconut oil work? or maybe olive oil? but the texture would be off right?..let me know :) Thank you !

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 11, 2012

Im not sure, the EB definitely gives it a very buttery flavour that I love! I would try a bit of extra virgin olive oil, however the flavour might be pronounced.

Jude June 1, 2012

I love making limas and potatoes. Might try this idea with them.

Brandie September 27, 2012

I had JUST cooked up a new batch of navy beans today and came on to search a recipe to make them for dinner, and I’d actually planned on making mashed potatoes too – I LOVE me some mashed potatoes, could eat them every day! – and I came up on this post. I had to cut the recipe down, cause it’s just me and my lil man (he’s 4) but they are SO. FREAKING. GOOD! Thank you so much for having shared this. :)

(Even after cutting it down I’ll have leftovers for at least 3-4 days, so get to enjoy them again and again!)

Sherry October 27, 2012

Can this be frozen for latter?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2012

Im not sure, I haven’t put mashed potatoes in the freezer before. Does anyone know?

van November 19, 2012

Great idea for mashed potatoes! Definitely trying it this year! Thanks!

Anna November 20, 2012

Was thinking to skip white potato for Thanksgiving this year,but after this brilliant idea I can’t wait to try. Thank you so much for sharing.

kally November 21, 2012

Please help me adapt this recipe. You gave me advice for the squash and kale dish and it was great. i can’t use the Earth Balance because of medical reasons, what else do you think might work? Thanks

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 22, 2012

Hi Kally, You can use any butter sub of your liking. Becel also makes a vegan butter spread. Earth Balance has a soy free one as well which is what I use.

kally November 22, 2012

can’t use any of those spreads, so I am going to go ahead and try it with a bit more oil. Thanks for your reply.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 22, 2012

Ive seen some mashed potato recipes with oil so you should be fine! Enjoy :) you could also try cashew cream

kristian November 30, 2012

I just made these last night. They came out amazing and my non vegan boyfriend loved them! Im trying to find vegan recipes that my non vegan BF will like. The only veggies he eats are broccoli, carrots, corn, green beans, potatoes, peas and iceberg lettuce. His diet basically consists of cereal and store bought chocolate chip cookies and lots of milk. Im not trying to pressure him into becoming vegetarian or vegan, i just wish he ate a more well rounded diet. Any suggestions?

alaina January 10, 2013

Just was looking up some confirmation to what I thought was an original thought — white beans+kale+mashed potatoes= good times. Thanks! Trying to figure out cheaper protein meals for my gluten allergic husband and I. Saw on the news that, as I guessed while watching my garden suffer the 2012 drought here in northern Indiana, the price of meat is only going to go up this year. Thanks again:-)

Gina January 12, 2013

Been loving your blog for a couple of years now, (I’m dairy free because my gut told me i had to be) but just finally trying to go vegan. I think this mashed potato recipe just might change my life :)

Pam February 1, 2013

You didn’t mention how many carbs are in this recipe?

Brooke Premo March 9, 2013

I just had my wisdom teeth out and I feel like I can’t satiate my hunger with blended soups and broth, so I’m making these tonight! Thanks so much for the recipe!

Camille June 1, 2013

I know I’m late to this posting, but thumbs up on the navy bean mixture! That could be a meal in and of itself. #garliclover

Allie November 22, 2013

I already add parsnips to my vegan garlic mashed potatoes to make them healthier, and now I cannot wait to try them with Navy Beans! I think I will try both and see how it turns out.

Rachel November 24, 2013

What “other herbs” do you use and how much? That’s a bit too vague for me….

Susan December 8, 2013

I made these for Thanksgiving, not telling the table of guests that they were anything but normal mashed potatoes and they were a hit! Later, I told people they had no milk or butter and it had a whole can of beans and they couldn’t believe me! I am now affectionately calling these “pink potatoes” because the paprika in them, but this is my new go to potato recipe. Thank you for creating and sharing. YUM! I actually made these the day before and reheated in the over in time for the meal, and they were great!

Joanne February 2, 2014

I just recently found your website and I love it! This recipe is a really great idea. If I need a mashed potato filler, I usually go for some cauliflower, but this is even better because it’ll fill you up faster. I’m going to add white beans to my loaded mashed potatoes next time.

SoHo February 7, 2014

I just made these and while I like them they are VERY beany. I would likely make them again but reduce the amount of beans to 1.5 cups of cooked navy beans. Great recipe!

Page 3 of 3«123