High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

20100908IMG 2684 thumb   High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Eric loves mashed potatoes.

I mean, he really loves mashed potatoes.

He has been hinting on a daily basis that mashed potatoes would be a great way to ‘use up’ our stock pile of red potatoes courtesy of our Plan B CSA.

I said, ‘Sounds good, when ya making them?’ ;)

I have successfully evaded his hints for the past few weeks as I dreamed about making another batch of Homemade Salt & Vinegar Chips. Who needs mashed potatoes when you can make chips?

It’s not that I don’t like mashed potatoes. Really I do. I just love them when they are creamy, garlicky, smooth ‘n chunky, skins and all. Buttery, salty, piled with salsa or ketchup. It is fun to dress them up.

They are total comfort food.

However, my issue is that by the time I remember to add them as a side dish, it is already too late and I don’t have enough time to cook them. I tell myself, ‘I will make them tomorrow’ and then they get buried under veggies, forgotten about for weeks. Then I start to see snake-like sprouts trying to escape from the crisper and I run in the opposite direction like a little baby.

I also never think to use potatoes as a main dish because they lack protein and staying power.

I vowed to change that by amping up the protein.

Watch out Eric, you better be careful of what you wish for. ;)

20100908IMG 2659 thumb   High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

20100908IMG 2667 thumb   High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Add some elbow grease and work out those arms! ;)

20100908IMG 2668 thumb   High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Add almond milk…

20100908IMG 2669 thumb   High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

and Earth Balance (or what you have on hand!)…

20100908IMG 2670 thumb   High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

We are huge fans of leaving the skins in the mashed potatoes. It adds a great texture and more nutrients (although I wouldn’t suggest leaving the skin on if you use non-organic as potatoes are part of the dirty dozen and are high in pesticides).

Drain beans.

20100908IMG 2664 thumb   High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Process 2 cans of navy beans (3-3.5 cups), garlic, salt, and paprika in food processor until almost smooth…

20100908IMG 2675 thumb   High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

The bean mixture will taste amazing. Spoon some into mouth.

Yum.

Add bean mixture to potato mixture and mash ‘em up!

20100908IMG 2677 thumb   High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Wheeeee.

20100908IMG 2678 thumb   High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Sprinkle with remaining paprika, black pepper, and more salt.

20100908IMG 2686 thumb   High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

I left them a bit chunky because Eric likes them that way. It’s a texture thing when they are too smooth, I guess. ;)

20100908IMG 2690 thumb   High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Adding navy beans to mashed potatoes is a great way to make them protein rich and sneak in some nutrition without anyone being the wiser.

They are now high in protein and delicious.

20100908IMG 2680 thumb   High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Eric and I used these potatoes as the main dish for our meal. I added some cooked veggies and stirred them in. It was delicious and very filling! Eric thought they were awesome and he had no idea they contained beans! Success.

20100908IMG 2679 thumb   High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

I will see you tomorrow morning. :) I will be talking about what activities I did post-10k race to expedite the recovery process! Enjoy your evening.

Ashley Craft September 8, 2010

I never thought of adding beans to mashed potatoes! Brilliant idea!! I wonder if my significant other would notice… haha. ;)

Maria @ Kale and Cupcakes September 8, 2010

Omg. I am totally craving mashed taters now!

Maddie September 8, 2010

This looks amazing, and such a simple idea! You’re awesome! Except you’ve got me totally craving mashed potatoes with no means to make them :)

Gree September 8, 2010

What a great idea using white beans to beef up the protein! I am in a house of potato lovers so I will have to try this!

Amykinz September 8, 2010

I’ve tried some of your recipes and I think you’re amazing! My hubby & I love this show & I think you should apply to be on the next season: http://masterchefcasting.com/apply

Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul September 8, 2010

I’m totally with you on mashed potatoes as a too-late afterthought. But this recipe might make me plan a little ahead in order to make them. They look delicious and I’m amazed at the protein!

Ana September 8, 2010

Awesome idea, really love the use of white beans in there!!
I find potatoes as a main dish are usually a no no for the exact same reason as you – “no staying power” (love this phrase!). But now things will change, I will try this mashed potato idea for sure!
And I also love the skins on my mashed potatoes, it is my favorite part of the mash!
Ana

Chelsey September 8, 2010

I have never thought to add beans to my potatoes!!! That is a great idea. Now, the real question is… do you tell your husband what is in it after he eats it? :)

Courtney @ Bread & Bokeh September 8, 2010

Those look delicious and your photography is gorgeous!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter September 8, 2010

My sister absolutely loves potato anything. I’m not too crazy about them on the other hand lol.

Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 8, 2010

You… are a genius.

Annie@stronghealthyfit September 8, 2010

Great idea to add beans to mashed potatoes! My husband would love that too… how sneaky ;-)
Paprika is so pretty, isn’t it? I have almost 3 KILOS of the stuff- we were given a ton of homemade (smoked and dried) paprika when we were in Hungary in June. I will probably never have to buy paprika again.

Christine September 9, 2010

Wow, you’ve already used 904 kg?! Hahaha, jk jk, 3 kilos IS a ton!

Ashley September 8, 2010

Kitchen GENIUS. That is you :) xo

Faith @ lovelyascharged September 8, 2010

I’ve never thought to put beans in mashed potatoes – what a great way to stretch ‘em and make them way more nutritious! Stellar idea…as usual :)

Ellen@FirednFabulous September 8, 2010

These sound delicious! I usually save mashed potatoes for the holidays, but Mmm sounds so good right now!

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA September 8, 2010

Ohh my gosh that sounds amazing! I love potatoes in every way – baked, roasted, mashed, in soup, whatever!

Joslyn @ missfitbliss September 8, 2010

This really is such a clever idea! I saw the title on my Twitter feed earlier today and was trying to guess what ingredient you could have used to make the dish protein-rich. Smart thinking!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) September 9, 2010

What a great idea!! I love that you puree the beans to add to the potatoes – I bet they taste great!!!! I am bookmarking this one for sure!

Neen@Broad Bean to Runner Bean September 9, 2010

ohh clever idea i bet Eric was delighted to finally get his mash!!

Sava September 9, 2010

They say Mashed potatoes that your man will love, but my MOM actually is a hardcore mashed potato fanatic.

She loves mashed potatoes more than anything else in the world. I should make these for her.
I bet I’d be her favorite daughter ever if I did that :)

Michelle September 9, 2010

Leftovers……..potato pancakes with salsa on top. Yum!!

Sportsgirl September 9, 2010

Great idea. I wouldn’t have even thought to mash beans into the potatoes… I will have to try this! Thanks for another great idea/recipe.

Tiffany September 9, 2010

What a great idea! I am going to try these.

Jillian @ Reshape Your Life September 9, 2010

That is a terrific idea! A great way to sneak in nutrition for the ones who scoff at veggies! I’m going to try this for my boyfriend.

Kady September 9, 2010

I love you for this recipe!!! I love mashed potatoes!! It was chilly out this morning, and I feel autumn creeping in… bring on the comfort food!

Genevieve September 9, 2010

Lovely idea! Never thought of adding beans to mashed potatoes… Love it!

Christine September 9, 2010

This looks great! I also love to cook up leftover mashed potatoes on a skillet for a great mashed potato cake!

Rachael @ Mrs-Adventure September 9, 2010

Wow what a great idea, thanks!

iga@thedelishdishblog September 9, 2010

what a brilliant idea!!!! i looove beans I can’t believe ive never thought of doing this!

Brigid September 9, 2010

We made a white-bean dip this weekend that was so whipped from the food processor that I declared we should add the puree to mashed potatoes sometime. What a funny coincidence! I will have to try it for sure now.

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf September 9, 2010

Wow! I’ve heard of sneaking cauliflower into mashed potatoes, but never beans! I just might have to try that sometime!

Kristy September 9, 2010

Oh ironic! We had garlic mashed potatos last night :-) but I added wayyyy too much garlic so the were SPICY!

Tina @ The Shakespearean Tomato September 9, 2010

That’s brilliant! I have totally added white beans to potato SOUP before to bump up the protein, but never thought of adding them to MASHED potatoes. I wonder if you added both cauliflower and beans to the potatoes to add protein and veggies if it would still taste and feel right or if that would just be going too damn far?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2010

GREAT idea about soup!!!!

Tyffanie September 9, 2010

Angela you are a genius for adding beans to the mashed potatoes!!! I love the idea and can’t wait to try them out!!!

Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey September 9, 2010

Those sound so good! I was actually wondering the other day how I should make mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving/Christmastime. Thank you for the recipe, haha. And oh, we always leave the skins on. Always. It’s so much better that way.

Halley (Blunder Construction) September 9, 2010

Smart idea adding navy beans to the potatoes. Have you ever tried mashed cauliflower? I did once and it was a sad, mushy, mess. I think adding beans to cauliflower would help it hold up some.

Kara @ MyWellnest September 9, 2010

OH MY GOSH! This is a recipe from heaven!!!!! Thank you so much for sharing :-)

Rebecca September 9, 2010

Wow!!! It never occurred to me to mash some beans in with mashed potatoes! MY oldest son HATES (and “hate” is a very strong word in our home and is off limits unless you really mean it) beans. I try to sneak them in here and there, mainly in soups but he swears everytime he can taste them. I also think he has a texture thing like Eric and beans are just mushy to him. Which is funny because I think that is one of the reasons why I LOVE beans so much, their mushiness. Ha ha

Amber K September 9, 2010

Looks amazing! I love them super smooth, as it is a texture thing for me too!

I never know what to have them on the side of since I don’t eat meat, but as a main course? Sounds awesome!

AGS September 9, 2010

I am absolutely entranced/intrigued with this recipe. . . and my brain has jumped to using the leftover’s as some kind of basis for a creamy soup. Talk about comfort food. My husband and I are huge potato enthusiasts, and I have a feeling we’ll be giving this recipe a whirl as the days turn nippy.

Page 2 of 3«123»