High Protein Garlic Mashed Potatoes

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on September 8, 2010

20100908-IMG_2684

Eric loves mashed potatoes.

I mean, he really loves mashed potatoes.

He has been hinting on a daily basis that mashed potatoes would be a great way to ‘use up’ our stock pile of red potatoes courtesy of our Plan B CSA.

I said, ‘Sounds good, when ya making them?’ ;)

I have successfully evaded his hints for the past few weeks as I dreamed about making another batch of Homemade Salt & Vinegar Chips. Who needs mashed potatoes when you can make chips?

It’s not that I don’t like mashed potatoes. Really I do. I just love them when they are creamy, garlicky, smooth ‘n chunky, skins and all. Buttery, salty, piled with salsa or ketchup. It is fun to dress them up.

They are total comfort food.

However, my issue is that by the time I remember to add them as a side dish, it is already too late and I don’t have enough time to cook them. I tell myself, ‘I will make them tomorrow’ and then they get buried under veggies, forgotten about for weeks. Then I start to see snake-like sprouts trying to escape from the crisper and I run in the opposite direction like a little baby.

I also never think to use potatoes as a main dish because they lack protein and staying power.

I vowed to change that by amping up the protein.

Watch out Eric, you better be careful of what you wish for. ;)

20100908-IMG_2659

20100908-IMG_2667

Add some elbow grease and work out those arms! ;)

20100908-IMG_2668

Add almond milk…

20100908-IMG_2669

and Earth Balance (or what you have on hand!)…

20100908-IMG_2670

We are huge fans of leaving the skins in the mashed potatoes. It adds a great texture and more nutrients (although I wouldn’t suggest leaving the skin on if you use non-organic as potatoes are part of the dirty dozen and are high in pesticides).

Drain beans.

20100908-IMG_2664

Process 2 cans of navy beans (3-3.5 cups), garlic, salt, and paprika in food processor until almost smooth…

20100908-IMG_2675

The bean mixture will taste amazing. Spoon some into mouth.

Yum.

Add bean mixture to potato mixture and mash ‘em up!

20100908-IMG_2677

Wheeeee.

20100908-IMG_2678

Sprinkle with remaining paprika, black pepper, and more salt.

20100908-IMG_2686

I left them a bit chunky because Eric likes them that way. It’s a texture thing when they are too smooth, I guess. ;)

20100908-IMG_2690

Adding navy beans to mashed potatoes is a great way to make them protein rich and sneak in some nutrition without anyone being the wiser.

They are now high in protein and delicious.

20100908-IMG_2680

Eric and I used these potatoes as the main dish for our meal. I added some cooked veggies and stirred them in. It was delicious and very filling! Eric thought they were awesome and he had no idea they contained beans! Success.

20100908-IMG_2679

I will see you tomorrow morning. :) I will be talking about what activities I did post-10k race to expedite the recovery process! Enjoy your evening.

Hunter4086 September 8, 2010 at 4:48 pm

I’m seeing red leaves — it’s totally time to bring potatoes front and centre at dinner time.

This recipe looks tasty with the beans. I’m going to try this with some krispy kale mixed in…it will make delicious colcannon!

Freya (Brit Chick Runs) September 8, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Adding beans to mashed potato – that is such a good idea! I’d never have thought of that :)

jennifer September 8, 2010 at 4:50 pm

genius! I love it!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) September 8, 2010 at 4:58 pm

What a great way to include more protein!!
oooh and I just saw your breakfast pizza – holy YUM!

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) September 8, 2010 at 5:00 pm

Those mashed potatoes look fantastic! I really love mashed potatoes with the skins on too. It’s so good!

Leanne @ Radiant, Balanced & Fit September 8, 2010 at 5:04 pm

YUM! I can’t wait to recreate these sometime soon! I’ve never used navy beans… hmmm!

Victoria September 8, 2010 at 5:06 pm

Oh, I absolutely love this idea! I never would have thought to put beans in mashed potatoes. I’ve got to try this soon!

Leanne @ Radiant, Balanced & Fit September 8, 2010 at 5:06 pm

YUM! I can’t wait to recreate these sometime soon! I’ve never tried Navy Beans… hmmmm!

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) September 8, 2010 at 5:07 pm

This is a great idea! Navy beans are the same thing as cannellini beans, correct?

I use them in my pasta sauces to make bean bologneses! It’s delicious–much better than meat :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 8, 2010 at 5:50 pm

Hmm I’m not sure, I was under the impression that they are both two different types of white beans…

Laura September 8, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Navy beans are more of a black bean size and cannellini beans are more of a kidney bean size. Also, cannellini beans are sometimes called “Great Northern” beans.

Patt June 29, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Navy beans, cannellini beans, and Great Northern beans are 3 distinct beans with Great Northerns requiring the longest cooking time if you start with soaked dried beans. Here’s a brief description of each variety: http://www.cookthink.com/reference/988/Cannellini_beans_vs_Great_Northern_beans_vs_Navy_beans

Cannellini beans are the creamiest; they’re also known as white Italian kidney beans. Navy bean have the greatest proportion of skin to bean. Great Northerns are favored by many cooks for baked beans. There are some slight nutritional differences, e.g. cannellini beans are the highest of the 3 in protein and navy beans are the highest in fiber http://www.slowcarbfoodie.com/2011/07/23/what-kind-of-beans-should-i-eat-the-great-slow-carb-bean-index/

Caitlin (EatFeats) September 8, 2010 at 5:08 pm

What a great, creative recipe! You are so innovative!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is September 8, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Definitely gotta make these for the husband!

[email protected]://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ September 8, 2010 at 5:08 pm

Great idea adding the beans. I just checked out the dirty dozen and saved it for a quick reference. Yikes. :)

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day September 8, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Genius! I am having visions of a healthy Thanksgiving, starting with this recipe.

[email protected]'s Going The Distance September 8, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Wow that’s such a smart idea!!!

sarah September 8, 2010 at 5:23 pm

This is such a healthy recipe!
I emailed it to my friend who loves potatos and I know she will love a different style of her favourite food.

MoniMeals September 8, 2010 at 5:24 pm

Great idea! Sneaky you with those beans, so clever, hehe. Husbands all around will be happy today!

Leah @ L4L September 8, 2010 at 5:24 pm

I LOVE the idea of adding beans to mashed potatoes! Brillz! I’ll be copying!

PS – I like to roast my garlic before adding it to my mashed potatoes! Yummmmm! Sometimes, I add a little wasabi to them too. ;)

Tina September 8, 2010 at 5:25 pm

What a great idea! I had no clue at first glance beans were involved. I was wondering where the protein was coming from.

And I always do the same thing with wanting to make something as a side but forgetting until its too late. So annoying.

Liz September 8, 2010 at 5:30 pm

Yum! this is going on the rotation for next week!

Kristina @ spabettie September 8, 2010 at 5:37 pm

WOW this is SO funny, I made a note in my blog book that I want to have mashed potatoes this weekend!! :) This is a great idea so I may incorporate your genius :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 8, 2010 at 5:39 pm

SOLD! except i’ll have to make them behind the hubby’s back since he SWEARS he hates beans :)

Morgan @ Healthy Happy Place September 8, 2010 at 5:44 pm

wow, i love the suggestion of adding beans. I’ll be trying this out!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 8, 2010 at 6:06 pm

What a lovely recipe Angela!

I love the idea of adding mashed beans to the mix. I’m still thinking of making your pbj pie for breakfast tomorrow…

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 8, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Mashed potatoes are one of my favorite foods too! What a great way to make them more of a main dish! I’ll be making these soon and surely for Thanksgiving, too!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman September 8, 2010 at 6:17 pm

I love this idea. My husband is also crazy about mashed potatoes. He’d eat it every day–even for breakfast–if I let him. I’m sure he’d think this is so good.

Charlie September 8, 2010 at 6:20 pm

I love mashed potatoes! When my mom made them, she could be sure that there wouldn’t be any left ;).
Adding beans is such a great idea! I have to try it!

Trish September 8, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Between this and the breakfast pizza I am in heaven. Yum!

Heidi September 8, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Sounds delicious! This would be great for picky kiddos, Im not sure I have met a kid who doesn’t like mashed potatoes.

Becca September 8, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Great idea! I love my veggies but my man… not so much. Now I can sneak some in and he won’t know! Thanks!

Cara Craves... September 8, 2010 at 6:40 pm

As an Irish girl, I love my mashed potatoes!
I think the addition of the beans is genius!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) September 8, 2010 at 6:46 pm

It’s always good to pump up the volume so to speak if you can add to the fiber or protein content of things. You’ll be a great mom one day b/c you already know how to put veggies in smoothies, protein into taters, and it’s all about being creative with kids (or husbands) to help them get a few extra goodies in :)

I dont sneak too much into my daughter’s food, but she’s a high raw 3 yr old vegetarian who eats raw broccoli all on her own so thankfully I dont have to get too creative. haha!

Allison @ Food For Healing September 8, 2010 at 7:14 pm

another MUST try! thanks

Stefanie September 8, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Growing up, I lived on mashed potatoes. They are my comfort food. I’ll have to give your high protein mashed potatoes a try. They look so good. It would be great with a side of brocolli and carrots topped with salsa. Thank you . :)

Kelsey September 8, 2010 at 7:22 pm

Amazing idea!!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 8, 2010 at 7:39 pm

That’s awesome!! You never think of mashed potatoes as high protein so this is great!

rachel September 8, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Oh…I love mashed potatos and I love beans, what a great combo…I’m actually drooling and can’t wait to make this for dinner tomorrow night!

Red Head, Yellow Dog September 8, 2010 at 7:57 pm

yummm! these look so good! one of my fave post long run meals is a mix of mashed sweet potatoes, mashed red potatoes and hummus!!! SO GOOD!

Liz September 8, 2010 at 8:01 pm

You are the queen of sneaking in an extra veggie. First green monsters, now this? Amazing! Thank you so much! i can’t wait to try them!

Camille September 8, 2010 at 8:07 pm

These look fantastic!

GFree_Miel September 8, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Mashed potatoes are my comfort food of choice. All warm and happy…mmmmmmmm. I know what I’m making tomorrow. =D

Ashley Craft September 8, 2010 at 8:21 pm

I never thought of adding beans to mashed potatoes! Brilliant idea!! I wonder if my significant other would notice… haha. ;)

Maria @ Kale and Cupcakes September 8, 2010 at 8:29 pm

Omg. I am totally craving mashed taters now!

Maddie September 8, 2010 at 8:51 pm

This looks amazing, and such a simple idea! You’re awesome! Except you’ve got me totally craving mashed potatoes with no means to make them :)

Gree September 8, 2010 at 8:53 pm

What a great idea using white beans to beef up the protein! I am in a house of potato lovers so I will have to try this!

Amykinz September 8, 2010 at 8:54 pm

I’ve tried some of your recipes and I think you’re amazing! My hubby & I love this show & I think you should apply to be on the next season: http://masterchefcasting.com/apply

Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul September 8, 2010 at 8:54 pm

I’m totally with you on mashed potatoes as a too-late afterthought. But this recipe might make me plan a little ahead in order to make them. They look delicious and I’m amazed at the protein!

Ana September 8, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Awesome idea, really love the use of white beans in there!!
I find potatoes as a main dish are usually a no no for the exact same reason as you – “no staying power” (love this phrase!). But now things will change, I will try this mashed potato idea for sure!
And I also love the skins on my mashed potatoes, it is my favorite part of the mash!
Ana

Chelsey September 8, 2010 at 9:27 pm

I have never thought to add beans to my potatoes!!! That is a great idea. Now, the real question is… do you tell your husband what is in it after he eats it? :)

Courtney @ Bread & Bokeh September 8, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Those look delicious and your photography is gorgeous!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter September 8, 2010 at 9:49 pm

My sister absolutely loves potato anything. I’m not too crazy about them on the other hand lol.

Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 8, 2010 at 9:51 pm

You… are a genius.

[email protected] September 8, 2010 at 10:21 pm

Great idea to add beans to mashed potatoes! My husband would love that too… how sneaky ;-)
Paprika is so pretty, isn’t it? I have almost 3 KILOS of the stuff- we were given a ton of homemade (smoked and dried) paprika when we were in Hungary in June. I will probably never have to buy paprika again.

Christine September 9, 2010 at 7:50 am

Wow, you’ve already used 904 kg?! Hahaha, jk jk, 3 kilos IS a ton!

Ashley September 8, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Kitchen GENIUS. That is you :) xo

Faith @ lovelyascharged September 8, 2010 at 10:32 pm

I’ve never thought to put beans in mashed potatoes – what a great way to stretch ’em and make them way more nutritious! Stellar idea…as usual :)

[email protected] September 8, 2010 at 10:34 pm

These sound delicious! I usually save mashed potatoes for the holidays, but Mmm sounds so good right now!

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA September 8, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Ohh my gosh that sounds amazing! I love potatoes in every way – baked, roasted, mashed, in soup, whatever!

Joslyn @ missfitbliss September 8, 2010 at 11:11 pm

This really is such a clever idea! I saw the title on my Twitter feed earlier today and was trying to guess what ingredient you could have used to make the dish protein-rich. Smart thinking!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) September 9, 2010 at 12:12 am

What a great idea!! I love that you puree the beans to add to the potatoes – I bet they taste great!!!! I am bookmarking this one for sure!

[email protected] Bean to Runner Bean September 9, 2010 at 1:43 am

ohh clever idea i bet Eric was delighted to finally get his mash!!

Sava September 9, 2010 at 2:46 am

They say Mashed potatoes that your man will love, but my MOM actually is a hardcore mashed potato fanatic.

She loves mashed potatoes more than anything else in the world. I should make these for her.
I bet I’d be her favorite daughter ever if I did that :)

Michelle September 9, 2010 at 4:36 am

Leftovers……..potato pancakes with salsa on top. Yum!!

Sportsgirl September 9, 2010 at 6:42 am

Great idea. I wouldn’t have even thought to mash beans into the potatoes… I will have to try this! Thanks for another great idea/recipe.

Tiffany September 9, 2010 at 7:44 am

What a great idea! I am going to try these.

Jillian @ Reshape Your Life September 9, 2010 at 7:51 am

That is a terrific idea! A great way to sneak in nutrition for the ones who scoff at veggies! I’m going to try this for my boyfriend.

Kady September 9, 2010 at 7:56 am

I love you for this recipe!!! I love mashed potatoes!! It was chilly out this morning, and I feel autumn creeping in… bring on the comfort food!

Genevieve September 9, 2010 at 7:57 am

Lovely idea! Never thought of adding beans to mashed potatoes… Love it!

Christine September 9, 2010 at 7:58 am

This looks great! I also love to cook up leftover mashed potatoes on a skillet for a great mashed potato cake!

Rachael @ Mrs-Adventure September 9, 2010 at 8:04 am

Wow what a great idea, thanks!

[email protected] September 9, 2010 at 8:39 am

what a brilliant idea!!!! i looove beans I can’t believe ive never thought of doing this!

Brigid September 9, 2010 at 8:43 am

We made a white-bean dip this weekend that was so whipped from the food processor that I declared we should add the puree to mashed potatoes sometime. What a funny coincidence! I will have to try it for sure now.

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf September 9, 2010 at 8:58 am

Wow! I’ve heard of sneaking cauliflower into mashed potatoes, but never beans! I just might have to try that sometime!

Kristy September 9, 2010 at 8:58 am

Oh ironic! We had garlic mashed potatos last night :-) but I added wayyyy too much garlic so the were SPICY!

Tina @ The Shakespearean Tomato September 9, 2010 at 9:14 am

That’s brilliant! I have totally added white beans to potato SOUP before to bump up the protein, but never thought of adding them to MASHED potatoes. I wonder if you added both cauliflower and beans to the potatoes to add protein and veggies if it would still taste and feel right or if that would just be going too damn far?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 9, 2010 at 9:23 am

GREAT idea about soup!!!!

Tyffanie September 9, 2010 at 9:39 am

Angela you are a genius for adding beans to the mashed potatoes!!! I love the idea and can’t wait to try them out!!!

Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey September 9, 2010 at 10:44 am

Those sound so good! I was actually wondering the other day how I should make mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving/Christmastime. Thank you for the recipe, haha. And oh, we always leave the skins on. Always. It’s so much better that way.

Halley (Blunder Construction) September 9, 2010 at 11:07 am

Smart idea adding navy beans to the potatoes. Have you ever tried mashed cauliflower? I did once and it was a sad, mushy, mess. I think adding beans to cauliflower would help it hold up some.

Kara @ MyWellnest September 9, 2010 at 11:23 am

OH MY GOSH! This is a recipe from heaven!!!!! Thank you so much for sharing :-)

Rebecca September 9, 2010 at 11:41 am

Wow!!! It never occurred to me to mash some beans in with mashed potatoes! MY oldest son HATES (and “hate” is a very strong word in our home and is off limits unless you really mean it) beans. I try to sneak them in here and there, mainly in soups but he swears everytime he can taste them. I also think he has a texture thing like Eric and beans are just mushy to him. Which is funny because I think that is one of the reasons why I LOVE beans so much, their mushiness. Ha ha

Amber K September 9, 2010 at 11:43 am

Looks amazing! I love them super smooth, as it is a texture thing for me too!

I never know what to have them on the side of since I don’t eat meat, but as a main course? Sounds awesome!

AGS September 9, 2010 at 1:58 pm

I am absolutely entranced/intrigued with this recipe. . . and my brain has jumped to using the leftover’s as some kind of basis for a creamy soup. Talk about comfort food. My husband and I are huge potato enthusiasts, and I have a feeling we’ll be giving this recipe a whirl as the days turn nippy.

Tracey September 9, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Mashed potatoes is something I rarely make also, but Chris looooves them. He calls the smushed taters, haha, he’s a little kid at heart. I will have to try this recipe out, it looks great and will hopefully please his need for “smushed taters” and my need for a nutritious meal.

melissa roby September 9, 2010 at 4:49 pm

I started reading your blog about a month ago….although I don’t post it on my blog…I find our pasts are pretty similar…I have spent so much time and energy wasted on distorted thoughts about my body and food…as I get older it does get better…I am realizing life is too short and there is soooo much more in life worth my focus….you have given me inspiration every day though….thank you!!!

Elli @ 16 and Losing It September 9, 2010 at 5:26 pm

What a great idea to add beans! I would never have thought of that ! I can’t wait to try this!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) September 10, 2010 at 5:28 pm

LOOOOOOOOOVE this idea :D The only thing that would make it better is a head of roasted garlic ;) mmmmmmmmmmm

T September 27, 2010 at 4:47 pm

I made these tonight, so good! I wouldn’t have known there were beans in them. Definitely making these from now on!

Afrina May 10, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Hi!

This sounds amazing ! I was wondering If I could substitute anything for the earth balance ? I’m experimenting with a dairy- free diet due to dairy sensitivity, but I also don’t have any earth balance on hand and I don’t want to buy one for one recipe. Would coconut oil work? or maybe olive oil? but the texture would be off right?..let me know :) Thank you !

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 11, 2012 at 9:52 am

Im not sure, the EB definitely gives it a very buttery flavour that I love! I would try a bit of extra virgin olive oil, however the flavour might be pronounced.

Jude June 1, 2012 at 7:59 pm

I love making limas and potatoes. Might try this idea with them.

Brandie September 27, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I had JUST cooked up a new batch of navy beans today and came on to search a recipe to make them for dinner, and I’d actually planned on making mashed potatoes too – I LOVE me some mashed potatoes, could eat them every day! – and I came up on this post. I had to cut the recipe down, cause it’s just me and my lil man (he’s 4) but they are SO. FREAKING. GOOD! Thank you so much for having shared this. :)

(Even after cutting it down I’ll have leftovers for at least 3-4 days, so get to enjoy them again and again!)

Sherry October 27, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Can this be frozen for latter?

Angela (Oh She Glows) October 29, 2012 at 8:49 am

Im not sure, I haven’t put mashed potatoes in the freezer before. Does anyone know?

van November 19, 2012 at 11:42 pm

Great idea for mashed potatoes! Definitely trying it this year! Thanks!

Anna November 20, 2012 at 7:34 am

Was thinking to skip white potato for Thanksgiving this year,but after this brilliant idea I can’t wait to try. Thank you so much for sharing.

kally November 21, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Please help me adapt this recipe. You gave me advice for the squash and kale dish and it was great. i can’t use the Earth Balance because of medical reasons, what else do you think might work? Thanks

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 22, 2012 at 11:28 am

Hi Kally, You can use any butter sub of your liking. Becel also makes a vegan butter spread. Earth Balance has a soy free one as well which is what I use.

kally November 22, 2012 at 1:54 pm

can’t use any of those spreads, so I am going to go ahead and try it with a bit more oil. Thanks for your reply.

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 22, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Ive seen some mashed potato recipes with oil so you should be fine! Enjoy :) you could also try cashew cream

kristian November 30, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I just made these last night. They came out amazing and my non vegan boyfriend loved them! Im trying to find vegan recipes that my non vegan BF will like. The only veggies he eats are broccoli, carrots, corn, green beans, potatoes, peas and iceberg lettuce. His diet basically consists of cereal and store bought chocolate chip cookies and lots of milk. Im not trying to pressure him into becoming vegetarian or vegan, i just wish he ate a more well rounded diet. Any suggestions?

alaina January 10, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Just was looking up some confirmation to what I thought was an original thought — white beans+kale+mashed potatoes= good times. Thanks! Trying to figure out cheaper protein meals for my gluten allergic husband and I. Saw on the news that, as I guessed while watching my garden suffer the 2012 drought here in northern Indiana, the price of meat is only going to go up this year. Thanks again:-)

Gina January 12, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Been loving your blog for a couple of years now, (I’m dairy free because my gut told me i had to be) but just finally trying to go vegan. I think this mashed potato recipe just might change my life :)

Pam February 1, 2013 at 2:40 pm

You didn’t mention how many carbs are in this recipe?

Brooke Premo March 9, 2013 at 2:15 pm

I just had my wisdom teeth out and I feel like I can’t satiate my hunger with blended soups and broth, so I’m making these tonight! Thanks so much for the recipe!

Camille June 1, 2013 at 9:59 pm

I know I’m late to this posting, but thumbs up on the navy bean mixture! That could be a meal in and of itself. #garliclover

Allie November 22, 2013 at 11:28 pm

I already add parsnips to my vegan garlic mashed potatoes to make them healthier, and now I cannot wait to try them with Navy Beans! I think I will try both and see how it turns out.

Rachel November 24, 2013 at 4:48 pm

What “other herbs” do you use and how much? That’s a bit too vague for me….

Susan December 8, 2013 at 9:13 am

I made these for Thanksgiving, not telling the table of guests that they were anything but normal mashed potatoes and they were a hit! Later, I told people they had no milk or butter and it had a whole can of beans and they couldn’t believe me! I am now affectionately calling these “pink potatoes” because the paprika in them, but this is my new go to potato recipe. Thank you for creating and sharing. YUM! I actually made these the day before and reheated in the over in time for the meal, and they were great!

Joanne February 2, 2014 at 5:52 pm

I just recently found your website and I love it! This recipe is a really great idea. If I need a mashed potato filler, I usually go for some cauliflower, but this is even better because it’ll fill you up faster. I’m going to add white beans to my loaded mashed potatoes next time.

SoHo February 7, 2014 at 8:19 pm

I just made these and while I like them they are VERY beany. I would likely make them again but reduce the amount of beans to 1.5 cups of cooked navy beans. Great recipe!

Haley September 1, 2014 at 4:18 pm

These were seriously good. I did end up adding about 1/2 teaspoon more salt as well as some garlic powder. But wow! I would recommend to anyone who doesn’t own a Vitamix or another high end blender to just mash the beans in a bowl and minces the garlic by hand. My blender was not up to the task, so I had to transfer the beans to a mini food processor which also had a tough time blending the beans. I ended up adding almost 1/2 cup of water to the mixture to get it going but it still took too long! The water didn’t affect the end result. Mashed potatoes were smooth and tasty. :D

ivy October 8, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Do you think these mashed potatoes would work well in your Shepherd’s pie recipe? I wonder if baking them will dry them out? I love the idea of adding protein into the potatoes.

Solange October 10, 2015 at 8:52 pm

I guess if you were in a blazing hurry and had leftover hummus in the fridge this would be the best way to use it up! :-D

Heidi November 24, 2015 at 10:03 am

These look delicious and I am making them for Thanksgiving – is it possible to make them in advance without compromising the flavor? If so, how would I reheat them? Is a crock pot an option? Love your book – my husband is not vegan but eats what I make. He likes everything from your book that I have made so far – I have made the majority of the recipes!

Lindsey November 26, 2015 at 9:06 am

Hi Angela! First of all, I LOVE this recipe; I’ve made it for the past 3 Thanksgivings, and it’s always a huge hit! Tonight I’m splitting my time between two Thanksgivings and was going to try to make this in the afternoon to save time. How would you suggest reheating this if it’s made in advance? (Note: I have no access to a crockpot, just lots of large pots). Hope you have a wonderful holiday!

Chris December 25, 2015 at 11:47 am

Is this correct?
1/4 cup soy-free Earth Balance buttery spread
2 tbsp unsweet. almond milk

I feel like the quantity might need to be swapped.

Olivia November 24, 2016 at 11:54 am

I despise washing dishes, especially my food processor so I thought I would try using my immersion blender for the beans. Worked fantastic!!! I knew it woudln’t do the garlic so I just added a few cloves to my potatoes instead, and it mashed up wonderfully, it turned out great. This recipe has been a staple for a while, glad I could make it easier and quicker. Thanks for this and all your other great recipes. Now if you could just create a protein packed gravy… ?