Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

Thank you for your good luck wishes this morning. :)

We arrived almost an hour early to the race this morning and we were treated with a gorgeous sunrise along Lakeshore.

20100906IMG 2343 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

It was breathtaking.

Possibly the most gorgeous sunrise I have ever seen!

20100906IMG 2344 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

The lake displayed a rainbow of colours.

20100906IMG 2346 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K 20100906IMG 23462 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K  20100906IMG 2348 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K 20100906IMG 2353 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K  20100906IMG 2361 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K 20100906IMG 2365 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

A great start to the race I would say! :)

20100906IMG 2377 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

At 7:30am, the 10km got underway. I was feeling a bit nervous at the start line! ;)

20100906IMG 2396 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

I was thinking, ‘Hrmm. This one could hurt.’

I was also cold, hence the pants and jacket!

20100906IMG 2400 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

We were off like a herd of turtles!

20100906IMG 2407 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

The first km is always so fun! Fast, fast, fast. Adrenaline x 100.

You say to yourself, ‘I LOVE RUNNING!’ Wheeeeee.

Then the honeymoon period ends and you start to get tired!

I started to get tired around the 3km mark. My pace was fast and I was breathless. I cranked the tunes and decided to run for the ‘5km’ marker. Once I got to the 5km, I knew it was just another 5km and then I would be done.

This is the beauty of a 10km race! It is just two 5km runs.

20100906IMG 2410 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

Whohoo I made it.

Eric raced to the 5km spot to meet me! He was so proud of himself for getting there in time to see me. It was cute.

But where was I?

20100906IMG 2415 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

He spotted me! It was so fun to see him at the half-way mark.

20100906IMG 2417 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

I was neck and neck with the woman in front of me and the woman behind me for the entire race (and a few men). We kept picking each other off…falling back, moving ahead, falling back, moving ahead for the entire 10km. It was some friendly competition! I love that about races.

In a race, I always try to find people just ahead of me and make it my goal to stay close to them for the entire race. I ended up passing the woman ahead of me around 9km and the woman behind me (pink) passed me in the last 200 metres! I was like ‘oh no you didn’t!’ but I just didn’t have the strength to pass her again. She came up to me after the race and was so sweet and said ‘thank you for motivating me!’ I said the same to her! :)

My 5km time was around 25:15 mins., which is where I wanted it to be to achieve a negative split in the second half.

20100906IMG 2419 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

I was trying really hard to pace myself and not burn out too soon, although I admit, I was already feeling quite tired by the 5km. Perhaps I was going out too hard, I wondered.

Eric ran with me for about 0.5km along the sidewalk. I was sure he was going to take a horrible spill and smash the SLR. Luckily that did not happen! ;)

Then it was time to part ways so Eric could make it back to the finish line.

Off I went with just 5km to go!

20100906IMG 2425 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

At the 7km marker, I knew I was almost in the home stretch!

‘Just a 3km run left’ I told myself. I was pushing hard and my last 3 kms were fast with a pace of around 4:55-5 min/km (which is around a 7:50-7:55 min/mile).

At the 9km marker I started to lose steam and it was a huge struggle to keep increasing my speed. I told myself ‘you are so much stronger than you think’ to defeat the negative thoughts in my mind.

Finally, the finish line was in sight and I was relieved! I saw the time on the clock and realized that I could make it in under 50 minutes if I booted it hard, so I sprinted hard with all of my might.

20100906IMG 2452 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

Once I saw the time on the clock it was GAME ON.

I was all business.

20100906IMG 2462 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

All my tiredness went out the window and it was just me against the clock. I sprinted harder than I think I ever have in a race before with my pace getting up to a 5:16 min/mile.

20100906IMG 2463 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

20100906IMG 2464 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

Almost there!!

I was SO out of breath. My lungs were in my throat. I could not breathe.

20100906IMG 2469 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

Wheeeeeee!!!

20100906IMG 2471 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

I was so exhausted and out of breath I couldn’t bring myself to smile as I crossed the finish line, but I can assure you I was VERY happy!

I was kind of in a daze for a minute after crossing.

20100906IMG 2474 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

What a rush!

20100906IMG 2475 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

Here are my Garmin stats:

10krace thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

The official stats:

• Distance: 10km
  • Chip time: 49:50 mins
  • Avg. Pace: 5 min/km or 7:58 min/mile
  • 3rd place in my division out of 17 women ages (25-29)
  • 19th place out of 201 women overall
  • 81th place out of 364 runners
  • I smashed my 10k PR (56:57) by 7 minutes

This race proves to me what a year of training & proper rest and nutrition can do. One thing is for sure, I never would be able to achieve these athletic accomplishments if I was still struggling with my eating disorder, starving myself, and over-training. My body used to be weak & hungry all the time and now it is strong and healthy and happy. :)

No PR could ever top that feeling.

20100906IMG 2496 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

I know a lot of you reading this are currently struggling with disordered eating and I want to tell you that the fight for recovery is worth every second.

You never know what you are capable of until you treat your body right.

We got home at 9:30am and I promptly mowed down on a burger. ;)

20100906IMG 2510 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

A delicious Lentil-Walnut Burger! I am hooked and already planning my next batch! The garlic and toasted walnuts give this burger a WOW factor.

20100906IMG 2520 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

20100906IMG 2511 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

20100906IMG 2500 thumb   Labour Day Oakville Half Marathon & 10K

This gal is off to get some R & R. After 4 hours of sleep, I am pooped! I am more sore from this 10km race than I was for my 3 half marathons…funny how speed work does that!

Enjoy your day.

Melissa September 6, 2010

Such pretty pictures of the sunrise! Love the pictures of the race. So excited to get out for a run now! Congrats on your time woot woot!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter September 6, 2010

Congrats on the run! I loved the thorough recap. I hope you get plenty of rest today :)

JenATX September 6, 2010

1. way to go! we are all proud of you :)
2. “the fight for recovery is worth every second” i love that, thanks for giving me something positive to think about

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2010

Glad you enjoyed it and thank you! :)

Liza (Health Nutting) September 6, 2010

First of all, congrats on an absolutely amazing run! Wow, good for you. Incredible.
Second, those are some of the most gorgeous pictures I think I’ve ever seen.. ever. WOW! :) I love sunrises– so beautiful and peaceful and wondrous!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine September 6, 2010

CONGRATULATIONS!! That is such an AMAZING time, you must be so proud of yourself :) It really is amazing how much better we become as a result of proper fueling…I’m just discovering this myself! Hope you enjoy the rest of your day!

betsy September 6, 2010

So happy for you Angela!! Congrats on the new PR!! You totally deserve a big nap today and I hope you are taking one. I am again training for my 11th 1/2 marathon, so wish me good luck. It has been 5 years since I have run one and I am quite nervous about it. You inspire me and I am sure many others.
Your times are awesome! Thanks for sharing and yes that was a gorgeous sunrise! wow!!

Lucy September 6, 2010

Wow, congratulations on a great race! Such an inspiring post, thank you Angela!

Devyn September 6, 2010

Good job! You are honestly SO inspiring.

Cynthia (It All Changes) September 6, 2010

Those early morning pics are gorgeous. Do you mind if I have one of them printed to frame for my office? I need a nice reminder of the beauty of the morning when I’m struggling to wake up.

Also congrats on your accomplishment. You are so right that the challenge is worth the outcome!

Jillian@ ReshapeYourLife September 6, 2010

That sunrise is BREATHTAKING!

Congratulations on the race that is such an accomplishment!! Good job setting a PR!

callah September 6, 2010

congrats! what an amazing job. you’re an awesome inspiration.
Your sunrise pics are breathtaking!!

Sabina September 6, 2010

Way to go, Angela! Great time, great race.

Thanks so much for posting that this achievement was because of rest, training, and proper nutrition. :-)

Tina September 6, 2010

Congrats! Beating a PR by 7 mins is quite impressive.

Sana September 6, 2010

Not to mention you recovered from an injury ( last year?) You are so inspiring because anything is possible when you make healthy choices!

Chelsea (Chelsea's Chew and Run Fun) September 6, 2010

Those pictures from the lakefront are absolutely breathtaking! Moments like that make me grateful to belong in such a beautiful, awe-inspiring universe (that comment made me feel like a total hippie, but I sincerely mean that.)

Fabulous job on the race and many congrats to you! Your accomplishment this morning is quite inspiring.

Also, that burger? Perfection.

Jessica September 6, 2010

Congrats on the 10km!!! That is so awesome!

Kim September 6, 2010

Awesome job Angela! The sunrise was a perfect way to start the day! You are living proof that proper training is the best way to succeed. I have always been an all or nothing kind of a gal and have completed races with little or no training. But distance races definitely require some extra effort. I love that you exceeded your goals. Very inspirational!

Eric did a fantabulous job as photo shoot director. Being an athletic supporter and photographer is difficult work and I should know with an active family. :)

Joyce September 6, 2010

Congratulations! You are inspiring!!

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats September 6, 2010

Congratulations – and I am so glad you talked about how this race was possible because of treating yourself well. Go you!!

Faith @ lovelyascharged September 6, 2010

Congrats, Angela, on the amazing stats! That’s a lot of grit to sprint all-out like that towards the end…I know my body would not have been very happy! KUDOS!!!

Alicia September 6, 2010

good on ya, girl!
Inspiring and encouraging as always! Well done!

Fae September 6, 2010

Wow, congrats on a great race!!! I’m sure you’re just glowing right now!!

Kara @ MyWellnest September 6, 2010

Wow, what a gorgeous sunrise!
Sounds like a great race, congrats!!!

Camille September 6, 2010

That is an incredible time! You kicked some ass, girl!
Congrats!

Meredith September 6, 2010

Congrats, Angela! Thank you for discussing how this race was possible because of how you treat your body. Your blog has recently inspired me to get help for my eating disorder.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2010

I’m so happy to hear this, goodluck with your recovery!

Larinna September 6, 2010

Great job and congrats on the race! I love the lululemon jacket youre wearing! How did it perform while you were running?

-Larinna
iheartspandex.com

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2010

It was great! My only qualm was the pull strings bothered me a bit, so in retrospect I would have tucked them in somehow :)

Amber September 6, 2010

Thank you SO MUCH for inspiring change in all of us! I’m bursting with pride for you! Congratulations on your awesome-ness!

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad September 6, 2010

Wow! You have increased your speed SO much. You truly are a healthy inspiration.

Diana @ frontyardfoodie September 6, 2010

Congratulations! What a great race! You make me so excited to race again once I have this baby! Thanks for the inspiration.

Nicole September 6, 2010

Wow! Those sunrise photos are so beautiful. The colors are amazing.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2010

THANK YOU EVERYONE!

Emmanuelle September 6, 2010

Congratulations! You are so inspiring!
And these sunrise photos are so beautiful, great way to start a race :-)

Mama Pea September 6, 2010

WHOO HOOOO! Your time was phenomenal! You should be very proud of yourself. Enjoy the rest of your day!

Robin September 6, 2010

Congratulations on a great race. And a very nice way to remind us to take care of ourselves! You are an inspiration!

Katelyn September 6, 2010

Awe, congratulations!! That is such a great time, and I know, because I just ran my first 5K and it is not nearly close to your 5K split :)

It is such an amazing and inspiring thing that you’ve come so far – it’s hard to get as far as you have, truly. It takes so much inner strength and perseverance to conquer an eating disorder and become healthful. Props to you, girl! :)

Leah @ Simply Fabulous September 6, 2010

Is that a LuLu shape jacket? LOVE the colour! What’s the sizing like? Do they run big, small, just right?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2010

Hmm Im trying to remember the name of it now…it’s def. not a shape jacket. Some type of track jacket. Let me see if I can find it on their site

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2010

its a ‘fireside jacket’ :) Comes in tons of colours!
Sizing is pretty much the same as their hoodies I think.

Neen@Broad Bean to Runner Bean September 6, 2010

Wow wow wow what an awesome post! i dont know where to start – amazing gorgeous sun rise! what a perfect way to start te race huh! your race recap was really great, gripped me right through! what a perfect race you did and well done you for beating the disorder and getting to this stage you deserve a medal!!

Lizzie September 6, 2010

Congrats!! That’s an amazing time – isn’t it cool what out bodies (and minds!) can do when we’re up against the clock? :) Though I have to say I was kind of surprised at the attire – was it really that cold? Guess I am still in summer mode :) Gorgeous sunrise signals a beautiful run!!

Liz September 6, 2010

Wow congrats!

I was there actually, and I ran my first half! I probably would’ve seen you but I missed the half start by 15 minutes because I waited at the 2k start line instead :S When I realized my mistake, I went to the start up but they were already taking down the chip timer sensor! I was so sad, but my brother encouraged me to run on while he timed and drove next to me THE ENTIRE TIME. I love him so much for supporting me so! I ran it in 1:52 and couldn’t be happier! :D

And I completely agree how the sunrise was breathtaking! It almost made me forget how cold it was.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2010

Wow I can’t believe that happened to you! Good for you for keeping on and rocking the half regardless!! :)

Heather September 6, 2010

great job! what a fast time!
I love sprinting at the end.

Page 2 of 5«12345»