Lentil Walnut Burgers

Oh dear me.

20100905IMG 2298 thumb   Lentil Walnut Burgers

Do I have a recipe I am super excited to tell you about!

These delicious Lentil-Walnut Burgers are perhaps the best tasting burgers to ever cross my lips. They give the In a Jiffy Curry Chickpea Burgers some stiff competition! I think they are both tied for 1st place. :)

20100905IMG 2291 thumb   Lentil Walnut Burgers

Vegan Lentil-Walnut Burgers

Adapted from Martha’s Great Food Fast Cookbook.

Ingredients:

• 3/4 cup lentils, picked over and rinsed
  • 3/4 cup walnuts, toasted
  • 1 piece bread, toasted OR 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 2 tsp ground coriander
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • Freshly ground pepper
  • 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 chia/flax egg (1 tbsp ground chia or flax + 1/4 cup water)

Directions: Preheat oven to 350F. In a small bowl make the chia or flax egg and set aside. Place lentils in a small pot and add a couple cups of water. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 25 minutes. Remove and rinse in colander. While the lentils are cooking, toast the walnuts by placing the walnuts on a baking sheet and cooking at 350F for about 12 minutes until golden brown and delicious. Let cool. In a food processor, process the garlic, walnuts, toasted bread OR breadcrumbs, garlic, spices & seasonings until combined. Now add oil and lentils and pulse until coarsely chopped (some lentils should be visible and left chunky). Add the flax or chia egg and pulse a bit more until combined. Now shape 4 patties with hands and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment or a non-stick mat. Bake at 350F for 20-22 minutes on each side for a total of 40-45 mins. bake time. Makes 4 patties.

The burger ‘batter’ is insanely good. As a result, the burgers below are a bit smaller than they should be… ;)

20100905IMG 2284 thumb   Lentil Walnut Burgers

After baking they are golden, slightly crispy and the house smells incredible. You will be salivating.

20100905IMG 2286 thumb   Lentil Walnut Burgers

I had it served up in a bun with lettuce, tomato, ketchup, mustard, S & P. I also had a patty just plain on the side because they are to die for.

20100905IMG 2288 thumb   Lentil Walnut Burgers

These were so easy to make…I will be adding these to the veggie burger rotation for sure. I’m sure they could be BBQ’d too if you are gentle with them. :)

I am off to gather my running things for the 10k race tomorrow. The race is almost an hour away and begins at 7:30am, so I have to leave the house by 5:50am sharp. Ick. I’ve got the pre-race butterflies!

Have a great night!

Jessica September 5, 2010

How funny. Just came on here to say I will be buying your book should you decide to produce one and the comment above mine references you creating a recipe book too! My first comment on your blog. I have truly enjoyed following it and made the vegan choc chip cookies tonight and they are yummy, love overnight oats and wish you came to my local farmers market with your bars! (Washington state) Thanks for all your inspiration and wonderful recipes.

Good luck on your race!!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 8, 2010

thank you!

tasha - the clean eating mama September 6, 2010

OMG YUM!! These look fantastic!

Monique@She's Going The Distance September 6, 2010

Oh man, I recently had my first lentil burger at a restaurant and it was SOOOO awesome. I’d for sure make those at home :)

Freya (Brit Chick Runs) September 6, 2010

I am SO glad you posted this- I’ve spent my life trying to find a half decent lentil burger recipe!!

Neen @ broad bean to runner bean September 6, 2010

THe burgers look lovely! good luck for the race!

JL Goes Vegan September 6, 2010

Great recipe! I will definitely try these! Hope you have a great race!

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) September 6, 2010

I have been wanting to make lentil burgers for a long time now – and your chickpea burgers are the best! I can’t wait to try these!

Tracey September 6, 2010

These burgers look delicious! I can’t wait to try them. Good luck at your race today!

MoniMeals September 6, 2010

Angela! They look just delicious. Great leftovers after the race, right? Will these be the next parsnip fries, lol! :) Thanks for sharing!

Jacquelynn September 6, 2010

Oh my goodness, those burgers sound amazing! I am going to have to try them soon… you will have to let me know how they are re-heated the next day :)

Have a great race!

Kristina @ spabettie September 6, 2010

I really want to try these burgers, but dislike walnuts with every inch of my being ;)

what would you suggest… cashews? something else? I’m open to just about any other nut. :) :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 8, 2010

I would try pecans!

Kathi September 6, 2010

The list of the ingredients doesn’t include the garlic as in the directions. How much garlic is needed for the recipe?

Thanks,

kathi

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 6, 2010

3 cloves I added it in, tks!

Tracy @ Unsalted Nuts September 6, 2010

Hi Angela, I always love coming to your site. Your recipes are oh so good (the ones I have tried, I love). These burger love wonderfully delicious. I will have to fix me some parsnip fries to go with my burger. Thanks for all you do!

Mikaela September 6, 2010

I just made these burgers in my new food processor and, I must say, they were AMAZING!! Not too hot, not too bland. I love that they had a crunchy outside but slighty mushy inside. Served them up with homemade sweet potato fries and even my 3-year-old gobbled them up :) Thank you for such a good recipe!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 8, 2010

glad you enjoyed them!

The Vegan Tiffin September 6, 2010

That burger looks divine!!!

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com September 7, 2010

lentils and walnuts !!! its a bit of an autumn theme isnt it! such a yummy change to chickpea burgers..which are good too of course ;)

xo

Ami September 8, 2010

these are in my oven right now!

Ali September 9, 2010

I made these burgers last night and LOVED them! I ate one and my boyfriend (who is not vegetarian) gobbled up THREE. The last one was supposed to be my lunch today! Guess we will just have to make another batch! Thanks!!

Annie September 10, 2010

WOW. I took your word for it and made a ~3x batch, turns out it was a good choice as they came out amazing despite my heavy-ish modifications…I only had about 1/2 cup of walnuts and I had around 4 cups of lentils (went overboard cooking a batch a few days ago..hence the motivation for making these burgers :), in addition to these I added around 1 cup sunflower seeds (much cheaper than nuts..) and 1 cup Brazil nuts, so my lentil/nut ratio was a bit different than in the recipe. Then I only had around 2/3 cups bread crumbs, so I subbed the remainign 1/3 cups wheat germ. And the amount of garlic scared me so I only put around 6 cloves. AND I left out the coriander as I didn’t have any. For the cumin I have two types, the actual “cumin” and then another which in my mother tongue is called cumin but turns out in english it is called “caraway”. I put half and half since I wasn’t sure which one it was…Oh and I ended up putting in 2tsp salt (double), the batter tasted so bland after 1tsp but of course the cooked version is rather salty now (will be good with veggies though).
I know, are we still talking about the same burgers? :D Anyway I just took the first batch out of the oven, tasted one and LOVED it. Let’s see what my meat-loving husband says… Thank you Angela so much for sharing your recipes with us!

Stefanie September 10, 2010

Oh my gosh these burgers look AH-MAZING!! I already printed out the recipe and will be making them as soon as possible!! :)

Natalie September 10, 2010

Delicious! I changed your recipe a little bit and made them as sliders (smaller) – they were amazing.

Walnut Lovers September 13, 2010

Thank you for this recipe, they look delicious. I love the pics, really completes the sandwich. If I may ask, what did you serve with these? Good luck with your race!

Heather September 14, 2010

I failed at this… I guess grinding the chia seeds before adding to water would make a difference but I overlooked that small detail.. oops :\

Ariane September 20, 2010

Oh my goodness, these are so good! I stopped eating meat two weeks ago and this was my first “veggie” burger experience. Even my husband loved them and said to add them to our regular repertoire. Yum!

amanda (tomboy that wears makeup) September 21, 2010

Making these burger right now! YUM!!

sportsgirl September 27, 2010

Hey Angela, thank you so much for this recipe. I tried it the other day and it was so good! I even mentioned it in my blog. My husband who is basically a carnivore liked it! WOOT!

Kari Lynn October 11, 2010

These were delicious! Definitely had “burger flavor” and hit the spot. I ate 2 of them and my picky 2 year old son even ate his! Thanks for the great recipe! Definitely will make again!

Hannah January 23, 2013

Just put these in the oven already love them-yep, I tasted the batter too! Thanks!!

Ginger March 13, 2013

Made the patties and will be cooking them for dinner. They look so good! Can’t wait to try them.

Rachel July 15, 2013

I came to your site looking for something different to make with lentils. Found this recipe. I LOVE IT! I totally agree that these will go into the veggie patty rotation!

Heather November 13, 2013

Hi Angela,

I have just found your site after googling “best vegan lentil burger” and would like to try the recipe, which lentil do your use?

Many thanks
Heather

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 13, 2013

Hi Heather, I use green lentils usually. I would recommend making this recipe I posted today instead: http://ohsheglows.com/2013/11/13/lentil-mushroom-walnut-balls-with-cranberry-pear-sauce/
Its much better! you can shape them into burger patties too :)

Steph D. June 17, 2014

Can there really be such thing as “much better” than these?! I made them over the weekend and they were AMAZING, so two days later, I’m making batch number 2! It’s a good thing they’re healthy, bc I suspect I will be eating a LOT of these. :)

Iris February 2, 2014

I’d like to make them for a vegan swap. Do you think I can freeze the patties once cooked, or should I freeze them uncooked?
Thanks!

Elle (@thewaybyelle) April 9, 2014

WOW. I made a double batch and had one leftover, so I fried it like a burger in a pan. AMAZING! Thanks!

Deb July 8, 2014

Hi! I love all of your recipes! just whipped these up and have them in the fridge, waiting for dinner! I’m wondering about cooking just one and freezing the rest for later use. Have you tried this at all?

Page 2 of 2«12