The Business Battleground

Happy Long Weekend!

I kicked off the long weekend with something I haven’t had in a long time…cheesy savoury oats. These are one of my all-time favourite quick, healthy, and easy meals. For some reason my stomach has been nauseous all day long and this is the only thing I felt like for dinner. Weird I know, but these oats comfort me!

20100903IMG 2133 thumb   The Business Battleground

For the recipe, see this post.

20100903IMG 2134 thumb   The Business Battleground

The best part of loaded oats = going crazy and loading on toppings!

• Nacho chips
  • 1/2 avocado, sliced
  • Leftover homemade tomato sauce
  • Hummus
  • Tomato paste
  • Ground black pepper
  • Herbamare

20100903IMG 2138 thumb   The Business Battleground

So good and filling.

20100903IMG 2142 thumb   The Business Battleground

So many textures too. I love getting a little bite of everything.

20100903IMG 2143 thumb   The Business Battleground

For dessert I broke into my Vosges Creole Expresso bar all the way from Chicago!

20100903IMG 2145 thumb   The Business Battleground

I like my chocolate intense, deep, dark, slightly bitter, smooth, and creamy. This was no exception. After two squares I was done like dinner.

20100903IMG 2148 thumb   The Business Battleground

I also did some much needed speed organizing tonight. If you are anything like me, a cluttered space equals a cluttered mind.

An organized space equals free-flowing creativity and a decrease in stress!

BEFORE:

20100827IMG 6994   The Business Battleground

That is a small business battleground right there. It has pretty much been like this for months.

The beautiful and zen-inspiring AFTER (in just 20 mins)!

20100903IMG 2153   The Business Battleground

I sorted through all my papers, cleared off unnecessary papers on my bulletin board, and I put a new organizer to use with pens (that I can never find!) mail, and pending orders:

20100903IMG 2159 thumb   The Business Battleground

I also spent a while putting Gmail’s new Priority Inbox to good use and I organized ALL of my emails. Is anyone else using the Priority Inbox yet? It is awesome.

Can you believe I had 27,000+ non-archived emails in my inbox? Horrifying, I know. I archived all but 5 of them. I also created a couple new labels- 1) Green Monster submissions (I’m almost caught up!), and 2) Recipe spottings. Then, I deleted about 15 labels that I was no longer using. This made for a very short and quick drop down menu.

I feel like a new woman. A great way to start the weekend. :)

What is your computer space like right now? Cluttered, organized, Type-A, messy, chaotic, like a page out of Martha Stewart magazine? Do you have any plans to change your work space or decorate?

I have more goals for decorating and organizing my space down the road. First, I need a better storage system. Right now I just dump everything into one tiny plastic file (that is busting at the seams) or the deep-set cabinets. It is a bit chaotic. I also want to make my space look more feminine as it is a bit masculine. I could use some frills, polka-dots, ribbon trim, and flower prints right about now.

Right now, this is the only girly touch I have at my desk- A ‘Believe’ sign from Dollarstore. Some moments, during times of chaos, I glance up at that sign and it gives me hope.

20100903IMG 2160 thumb   The Business Battleground

Cara September 3, 2010

Achieving organization is a great accomplishment!
I don’t have a computer area, I just sit on my couch…if I did have one I am
sure it would be a cluttered mess.

Annie (Delicious Wellness) September 3, 2010

I love your organized space! Thanks for the photos – I better many people out there (including me) are about to go organize something. It’s contagious! :)

Tiffany September 3, 2010

My computer space is currently my lap =( We just moved (a few months ago *ahem*) and are currently in the process of redecorating. Once I get a legitimate workspace set up, I’d love to try and keep it organized!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day September 3, 2010

I am definitely Type-A when it comes to my desk. Each morning at work, I organize it and clean it with Lysol (okay, maybe I’m a little OCD too). I also add girly touches like photos and greeting cards. You could also buy some cute fabric to cover your bulletin board.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 3, 2010

ahh I LOVE the fabric idea! Thank you…I am going to do this ASAP

Kristina @ spabettie September 3, 2010

LOVE the Believe sign… I used to have ‘Dream’ letters in my home office… they have been moved to the bedroom :)

I so need to organize my home office. It has (unfortunately) been on my to do list for about a week – eek!

Kristy @ KristyRuns.com September 3, 2010

Oh, my! Those oats look so delish! Especially with the toppings…I’ll eat anything if there’s avocado on it. :)

Nice organizational skillz! It feels soooo good to tidy up, especially before the weekend.

Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow September 3, 2010

Coming from a fellow business owner…the work space is so important, isn’t it!

Just yesterday I was reading an article from a woman who build up her business is her top two tips were: to create a space that your thrive in and to always remember purpose: why are you doing this, what are you hoping to cultivate in your heart, mind and soul.

I thought that was so wonderful! Speaks to me just as your believe sign!

MarathonVal September 3, 2010

I had a feeling you would love Vosges chocolate ;) That kind sounds amazing though it would be trouble for me to have espresso at night, I would be wired for hours! Although since you wanted to go on a heavy duting organizing spree maybe the espresso did the trick!

Lisa September 3, 2010

Hmmmmm now I want nachos for dinner tonight!

Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice September 3, 2010

Never had savory oats before. I’m sure anything tastes amazing with those toppings.

I love dark chocolate!

Tina September 3, 2010

Wow! You were on a roll! I love organization. And I just did the priority email thing today. I haven’t archived and gone through much of anything though.

Lauren September 3, 2010

As much as I love oats and as much as I eat them, I still have not tried the savory oat thing. What am I thinking I do not know.
Yours sound sooo very good!

holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 3, 2010

I love quick fixes like that! It makes such a difference to have a tidy work space.

I have not tried savory oats — to me they need to be sweet. I can’t quite wrap my head around the whole savory concept + oats. Maybe one day!

Katie September 3, 2010

I bet that feels awesome! I can’t handle not having things organized – guess I’m guilty of being a little too Type A sometimes.

Joslyn @ missfitbliss September 3, 2010

It’s so fun to see where you work!

Erin September 3, 2010

Great combo of flavors! My desk is fairly organized but we don’t do a lot of non-computer things at work, honestly. I *do* have four cups/mugs scattered around. All clean, but I use them for different things (water, tea, coffee, hot chocolate, etc) and like to have options. ;)

Katelyn September 3, 2010

I totally know what you mean about having an organized space! If my room or my desk is messy, my head is messy. Organizing is like detoxing for the soul. Pure workspace, pure mind :)

I still have yet to try an overnight oats parfait, but lucky for me I have some leftover banana soft serve from tonight that will be calling my name tomorrow morning! :)

wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas September 3, 2010

Cluttered! You know what they say…cluttered desk, cluttered mind. Drives me nuts. But we’re hoping to bag it all and buy a new house soon! Not soon enough, though…

You have me so curious about savory oats! I may have to give them a whirl…

Vosges rocks my socks!

Caitlin (EatFeats) September 3, 2010

I love the “I’m a quitter!” Natalie Dee Poster! I really want the “Anxiety Girl” shirt. I probably have such bad anxiety because my life is a mess–I need to take a tip from you!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 4, 2010

I am glad you saw that! I love it…going to buy the real thing soon.

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 3, 2010

hurray! way to go on the organization…i need to jump on that train ASAP :)

Pure2raw twins September 3, 2010

Can you come help us organize our office???

Your savory oats look great…I love all the colors and textures that is my kind of meal ; )

Have a great holiday!!!

Bridget September 3, 2010

There is nothing quite like good dark chocolate to finish a meal!

My computer is actually quite organized at the moment. yay! I have only a few papers kicking around, so hopefully it stays like that :)

Alex September 3, 2010

Oh I totally believe that a cluttered desk is a cluttered mind! The top of my desk is clear right now though my drawers are full of all sorts of junk that I don’t know what to do with! During my undergraduate I used a kitchen table as my desk ( with cute Ikea boxes underneath for storage) and it worked perfectly because I had to keep everything organized!

CathyK September 3, 2010

clutter completely de-centres (un-centres!?) me! i love clean, minimalist work areas.
i just finished cleaning our condo – yea, great friday eve entertainment, but now i’m set for a clutter-free weekend!
good work on your work space! i love the before and after shots!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is September 3, 2010

I have the priority inbox but haven’t touched it yet… I need to get on that!

erica September 3, 2010

omg. if you thought your desk was messy, you would faint if you saw mine!!! hahaha. i’ve been meaning to clean it up. hopefully it’ll help me be more productive!

Camille September 3, 2010

Oats comfort me too :) That’s why breakfast is the best, most relaxing meal of the day!

Chelsea at Striking Balance September 3, 2010

Oh my gosh I can’t believe how many emails you had! I just went through mine about a week ago, and had about 2500. I thought that was a lot, but nothing compared to you! Good job getting everything organized!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 3, 2010

Wow, you’re quite the speed cleaner! My desk’s not *too* bad right now..but it could use a little tidying up.

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats September 3, 2010

Wow – that was super speedy organizing. I hope your stomach feels better!

Wei-Wei September 3, 2010

Ahh… I am shamed to look at my desk right now. Maybe the mess will disappear when I come back from lunch.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter September 3, 2010

That’s so awesome that it only took you twenty minutes. I love twenty minute cleans of my room. I feel so good afterwards.

Jillian@ ReshapeYourLife September 3, 2010

I don’t have a computer area yet… It’s currently a pile of junk that needs to be sorted through… And my laptop resides in our living room ontop of a tv tray. Classy! That’s how we roll down here in Texas. ;)

Julie @SavvyEats September 3, 2010

Ahh, i can’t understand how you survived without Gmail’s archiving feature before this. It is a life-changer!

Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 3, 2010

I’ve been meaning to try savoury oats FOREVER!

Annie@stronghealthyfit September 3, 2010

I’m the same way, clutter impairs my ability to think clearly!

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 3, 2010

Oh wow, those cheezy oats look amazing! I would need to find some nutritional yeast though!

Your desk looks so clean! It’s almost inspiring me to clean my desk :)

Valerie September 3, 2010

Nice job on your desk! Ever since I started at University, I have been much more organized with my space than I ever was at home — maybe because I have less of it now, and no one to clean up after me : ) Having said that, I really do need to get my things really organized when I get back from this weekend, since I do tend to study better, write better, and focus better when my laptop space is clear. Thanks for reminding me!

Lana September 4, 2010

I definitely know what you mean about having a clean desk…Less clutter = better for me. My desk has a computer, pen/pencil holder, lamp, picture frames, and some books. Because I’m a college student my desk is in my room, so I definitely try to keep it clutter free because otherwise it makes the whole room look like a mess.

Your desk looks great! It looks like it’s 100x’s more organized!!

Anne@ Food Loving Polar Bear September 4, 2010

I love uncluttered workspaces -like mine at work :D I can’t function if my papers are all over so I always keep it very tidy.

Good job in 20 min! I love the “believe sign” too :)

Page 1 of 212»