Shar Pei Approved

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on September 2, 2010

Good morning!

Last night, I was flying solo for dinner and I was about 2 seconds away from pouring a bowl of cereal until I looked in the crisper and saw all the CSA veggies and leftovers screaming at me to eat them up.

They gave me a total guilt trip. I hate when that happens.

But, I didn’t care.

20100818-IMG_0482

I poured a bowl of cereal and thought about how much I didn’t want to cook.

I surveyed the scene.

I opened the crisper and closed it. Opened it again. Still there.

I sighed.

I ate more cereal.

This pepper spoke to me.

20100901-IMG_1907

It whispered in my ear and said…all you have to do is stuff me and throw me in the oven

So I cut off the hat and scooped out the insides.

20100901-IMG_1908

Don’t worry if a few seeds remain inside the pepper. They put hairs on your toes and will keep you warm over the winter.

Next, I removed the leftovers from the fridge. We have lots this week!

I used leftover Salt Kissed & Buttery Brown Rice, Homemade Chunky Tomato Sauce, and Cashew Basil Cheese Sauce.

20100901-IMG_1916

I mixed it together and hoped it tasted better than it looked.

20100901-IMG_1919

Pack it in…

20100901-IMG_1925

and pack it tight…before baking it for 30 minutes at 375F.

20100901-IMG_1926

When the pepper is slightly charred and resembles a Shar Pei, all is well in the world.

20100901-IMG_1942

Look at that wrinkle factor! She’s a beauty.

20100901-IMG_1944 20100901-IMG_1944-2

Shar Pei Stuffed Pepper for One

Ingredients:

Directions: Preheat oven to 375F. Cut hat off green pepper and scoop out insides. In a medium sized bowl mix together the rice, sauce, and cheese sauce. pack the pepper tightly filling the interior and letting a bit come out of the top. Season. Place pepper on baking sheet and bake for about 30 minutes, checking frequently after 25 mins.

20100901-IMG_1957

It was delicious, cheesy….and easy peasy lemon squeezy.

20100901-IMG_1957

…and Shar Pei approved. ;)

shar_pei_1600x1200

Freya (Brit Chick Runs) September 2, 2010 at 8:28 am

That looks totally delicious!I think the best meals often come out of situations like that :)
That dog is SO CUTE!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans September 2, 2010 at 8:32 am

Good use of leftovers. I hate throwing out food but sometimes leftovers aren’t as appealing so its great to be able to turn them into something new and delicious!!

Muva 02 September 2, 2010 at 8:35 am

That looks soooo yummie…………. most definitely will try this one, thanks :))

Michal September 2, 2010 at 8:41 am

Hahahaha. My parents’ first dog was a Shar Pei and I loved that ugly dog, so when I saw your “Shar Pei approved” on Twitter I raced over here!
This looks yum…. man, now I want to go home and cook… I bet I could stuff some of my leftover chili+quinoa into a red pepper…mmm.

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 2, 2010 at 8:41 am

I love taking leftovers and changing them up. It makes food so much more enjoyable!

I love that pic of a Shar Pei. So adorable and wrinkly!

Faith @ lovelyascharged September 2, 2010 at 8:47 am

Mmm, stuffed veggies are amazing. Tomatoes are the best but peppers are a good close second!

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe September 2, 2010 at 8:47 am

So cute!

Now I’m totally craving stuffed peppers. Don’t you just love it when leftoevers work out like that?

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 2, 2010 at 12:33 pm

yes it makes my day!

Jessica @ How Sweet September 2, 2010 at 8:50 am

This made me LOL as there is a man who walks his sharpei in my neighborhood every morning!

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life September 2, 2010 at 8:55 am

Awww, what a cute squishy puppy!

Delicious looking pepper, too :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg September 2, 2010 at 8:56 am

Haha…I hate it when my produce guilt trips me :-) Looks delicious though!

Little Bookworm September 2, 2010 at 8:57 am

That dish looks amazing, and I agree with Freya, the dog is cute!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 2, 2010 at 9:00 am

So funny. I’m planning on making stuffed green peppers tonight too!

alexa @ Sohdalex September 2, 2010 at 9:02 am

Looks delicious! easy, and quick. 3 words that go very well together ;)

Liza (Health Nutting) September 2, 2010 at 9:03 am

Love this post! I love stuffed peppers and that looks delicious!!! Shar Pei — ADORABLE!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? September 2, 2010 at 9:03 am

Thank you for the reminder that I absolutely love love love stuffed peppers! I like making them in red or orange peppers because they add such great sweetness… LOVED seeing your post come up on Glamour.com!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 2, 2010 at 12:34 pm

I know i prefer orange and red too!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman September 2, 2010 at 9:07 am

Looks good! And I love that puppy. So adorable!!

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf September 2, 2010 at 9:07 am

I love stuffed peppers, but it’s been so long since I’ve had them. Peppers haven’t exactly been cheap here, and they’re a little difficult to eat in their stuffed forms. Last time I made them I cut the pepper in half lengthwise and “stuffed” the halves and served them that way. Husband was a big fan!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 2, 2010 at 12:34 pm

i love that idea!

els September 2, 2010 at 9:12 am

looks lovely, the dinner as well as the cute dog :)

[email protected]://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ September 2, 2010 at 9:18 am

That’s funny it does look like the dog.

What camera do you use??????

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 2, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Canon 30D :)

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day September 2, 2010 at 9:20 am

Ah cute! I always thought for some reason you had to make stuffed peppers in a Crock Pot (which I don’t own), silly me. So glad you can just throw those babies in the oven. Delish!

Jessie (Bites and Pieces) September 2, 2010 at 9:20 am

This meal looks perfect! I love using leftovers to create something even better the next day. That Shar Pei is too cute!

Christine September 2, 2010 at 9:21 am

Now that you point it out, it does look like a Shar Pei! Not that I *ever* would have noticed that on my own!

The stuffing looks pretty good to me! I’d eat it by itself with no pepper! Though I guess that defeats the point of using up the CSA veggies. Still, an amazing use of leftovers!

veronique @ hooked on health September 2, 2010 at 9:21 am

Awww that puppy is super duper cute!!! :)
The stuffed peper looks amazing too, I will try that. I have always wanted to adventure into the pepper-stuffing world. You take wonderful pictures by the way!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 2, 2010 at 12:35 pm

Lizzie September 2, 2010 at 9:22 am

Angela, enough already!! Stop posting delicious looking, healthy recipes when it’s not close enough to lunch yet!! :) You have put my PB and toast to shame. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 2, 2010 at 12:35 pm

haha tomorrow I will post just saltines and water ;)

Lizzie September 2, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Hmmmm . . OK . . that’s a slight improvement :)

Alison September 2, 2010 at 9:25 am

those peppers look amazing! totally feel ya about telling myself that i need to eat the vegetables that are in my fridge.

but sometimes you just want a delicious bowl of cereal and no dishes!

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad September 2, 2010 at 9:26 am

Oh I love stuffed peppers! I love being creative in the kitchen too. Usually I freeze half of my leftovers in order to save them for easy lunches down the road.

Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous September 2, 2010 at 9:26 am

Haha! What a cute post.

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 2, 2010 at 9:30 am

k, so i just died of cuteness. OH my goodness that photo is so cute! and i love the correlation you made with the pepper…adorable!

Kaitlyn (College Girl Runs) September 2, 2010 at 9:39 am

What an adorable dog!!! That pepper looks yummy. We have some in our fridge right now…maybe I’ll make a stuffed pepper for dinner? Not sure, but anyways cereal is always my go-to when I don’t feel like making anything else–it’s just soo addicting! I have a hard time stopping at one bowl! (Sigh)

Bess @ Bess Be Fit September 2, 2010 at 9:54 am

I agree sometimes cereal is just the best and easiest thing in the world….but your stuffed pepper looks delicious and the shar pei is so cute :)

Marina September 2, 2010 at 9:55 am

I love stuffed peppers!
But cereal is amazing too, so comforting and tasty :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 2, 2010 at 9:56 am

I love how you’re still able to make incredible meals even when you don’t want to cook. When that happens I usually just throw a bunch of stuff in a bowl and call it a night. :P

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 2, 2010 at 9:57 am

Yummmmm I love stuffed peppers! The cashew basil sauce sounds quite tasty as well. Full marks for you on the wrinkle factor! :)

Allie Finch September 2, 2010 at 9:58 am

That looks fantastic–often the best meals are simply thrown together out of desperation & lack of desire to “cook”–I cannot wait to try the Cashew Basil Cheese!
Question about the Stuffed Portabella Pizzas: Would they be good cold or reheated as leftovers? We are camping with my family, which means I need to come up with simple, delicious & healthy meals & snacks that can be thrown together easily or made before hand that won’t leave me feeling awful by the end of the weekend [which is what will happen if I eat what everyone else is]. I really want to try something with the cashew cheese.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 2, 2010 at 12:36 pm

I did eat one out of the fridge and while it wasnt as good as it was hot I still stuffed it in my face haha

Allie Finch September 2, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Ha, nice. I actually had a stroke of genius thinking [I hope]: I am going to assemble it in advance & keep in the cooler wrapped in tinfoil; then, throw it over & top it with a few coals from the fire to warm/melt it. I’m excited!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 2, 2010 at 2:03 pm

GENIUS!!! Please please send me a pic!

Maria @ Kale and Cupcakes September 2, 2010 at 10:16 am

Love how creative you get with your veggies!!!

Chelsea September 2, 2010 at 10:24 am

Oh. my. gosh. That picture of the Shar Pei is so adorable. I just want to go cuddle with it! That stuffed pepper looks great too, creative use of leftovers!

Caitlin (EatFeats) September 2, 2010 at 10:35 am

Cereal was always my dinner of choice after long swim practices. Healthy. That pepper looks great–what a resourceful and creative recipe!

Wei-Wei September 2, 2010 at 10:38 am

LOL Sharpei. You make me laugh on a regular basis, Angela. Sometimes with you… and oftentimes at you. ;) Heh.

MoniMeals September 2, 2010 at 10:40 am

So cute! The Sharpei looks like my dogs (English Bulldogs). Love anything to do with bell peppers, Great name!! YUM.

Ashley September 2, 2010 at 10:56 am

HAhahaa too funny!! We had a SharPei [ginger] growing up :)

Sara September 2, 2010 at 11:11 am

Do you guys get poblano peppers up there? Stuffed peppers are exponentially more delicious in a poblano because when you roast it like this it gets this delicious complex smokey flavor that a bell pepper could only dream of having!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 2, 2010 at 12:37 pm

YES i got some in my CSA yesterday!!!! ahhhh

Allison September 2, 2010 at 11:24 am

Yesterday my roommate had a pepper that was getting a little old and i told her to stuff it:) Small world lol but since shes not a vegan she was going to use regular cheese:(

I have been craving cereal like crazy but i dont have any since i dont let myself by processed products:( I think I’ll “borrow” some from the roomie:):)

Ѽ HefiA September 2, 2010 at 11:29 am

Haha! Angela, you are quite a storyteller! My little preschoolers would be fascinated by the story of the green pepper that came to life. :) Your kids must love your bedtime stories!! I know I would!

We make stuffed pepper soup in Romania, and it’s REALLY good! But this recipe looks pretty Dee-licious as well! I should try it out soon.

Shar Pei is so stinkin’ cute! I never thought I wanted a dog…until now :)

Ѽ HefiA

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 2, 2010 at 12:38 pm

No kids yet, but if you are referring to Sketchie and Eric, yes they love my stories (some of the time) ;)

Valerie @ City|Life|Eats September 2, 2010 at 11:31 am

I am SO glad to know I am not the only one who thinks veggies and leftovers speak to me. I have serious guilt issues about those. Love your use of leftovers :)

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 2, 2010 at 11:36 am

I love stuffed peppers! Never thought about them like Shar Peis though!

Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) September 2, 2010 at 11:44 am

I love stuffed peppers. So easy and so tasty. I think if I was already eating the cereal there is no way I would have went back to cook something fresh. I would have just called it a day!

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' September 2, 2010 at 11:48 am

I love stuffed peppers, too! And yours looks so easy with all those leftovers on hand!

That Shar Pei is so darn cute!! ;)

Meg September 2, 2010 at 11:50 am

Ahhh! That shar pei is too cute for words!

I love stuffed peppers, they’re so versatile. I was really intimidated by them at first becaue they looked so complicated. Boy was I wrong!

chelsey September 2, 2010 at 12:05 pm

mmm I love stuffed peppers! They are my favorite!

Erin September 2, 2010 at 12:20 pm

That combination of stuffing ingredients sounds delicious! If I was feeling lazy, I’d just eat the whole pepper raw :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 2, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I love stuffed peppers. All those leftovers look like the perfect filling!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie September 2, 2010 at 12:31 pm

It’s funny how often this sort of thing happens to me. I’m not a huge fan of stuffed peppers because for some reason bell peppers turn me off but when they’re really well cooked I like them better and this one looks really good!

[email protected] ReshapeYourLife September 2, 2010 at 12:37 pm

I love that you can make simple leftovers into something so delicious! I never think about mixing my leftovers, I’ll have to think more out of the box!

jamie @ jamelafamela September 2, 2010 at 12:40 pm

I hate when my produce guilts me into things… :)

Christy McCreath September 2, 2010 at 12:41 pm

What a great idea! I love this recipe.

I often find myself pouring a bowl of cereal for dinner when I’m flying solo and when I don’t feel like cooking. How funny :)

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter September 2, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Hehe I’ve never thought of a roasted bell pepper as a sharpei but it totally works. How adorable :)

Sarah September 2, 2010 at 1:24 pm

That looks AWESOME!

Jenny September 2, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Stuffed peppers are my absolute favorite. ohhh my ..yum.

Maura September 2, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Haha, such a cute post! Especially the pic at the end ;) Adorbs!

Katelyn September 2, 2010 at 2:46 pm

I have been *dying* to try some stuffed veggies! That is a genius (and gorgeous, I might add) way to use leftovers and veggies – I love the simplicity of everything you make, it’s so freshing :)

Katelyn September 2, 2010 at 2:54 pm

oops, I meant RE-freshing! :)

Laura (spokesnoats) September 2, 2010 at 3:38 pm

LOVE the closing picture!

Lisa September 2, 2010 at 4:27 pm

That pepper looks delicious! Brown rice and peppers couldn’t be a better combo! Cannot wait to try this out! =)

Heather September 2, 2010 at 5:08 pm

OMG I just want to squeeze that puppy!

Lisa September 2, 2010 at 5:22 pm

oooh stuffed peppers are one of my fav meals!!!

Jenn @ LiveWellFitNow September 2, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Oh how perfect are Shar Pei’s? I adore those wrinkles. And I adore the pepper! Looks delish. So simple…no excuse for me to throw together dinner now either!

Gina September 2, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Yum!

Allison @ Girl in her Kitchen September 2, 2010 at 8:57 pm

Oh. My. Gosh. That pepper looks fantastic. I haven’t made stuffed peppers in forever! Thanks for reminding me how tasty they are!

Kristen September 2, 2010 at 9:11 pm

I love stuffed peppers. Yum.

Sana September 2, 2010 at 9:17 pm

I was reading this post in class, and the people behind me awwed when I got to the cutie pic at the end :)!