Scratch

Happy September!

It hurts so good, doesn’t it?

Just wanted to quickly let you know I added the banana in the Love Muffin recipe! Sorry for the delay. I meant to fix it yesterday and then I forgot in all the excitement.

Let me continue with yesterday’s anniversary recap from way back in August… ;)

The traditional gift for a 2nd year wedding anniversary is cotton.

Sadly, not jewelry. Or copious amounts of chocolate smothered in White Chocolate Peanut Butter.

Sooooo….I got Eric a couple new cotton shirts…

20100830-IMG_1690

20100831-IMG_1765  20100831-IMG_1763

Amazingly, they fit AND he liked them. I usually get one or the other so I consider this a success. Eric has gone from an Extra-large to a large and now he is a medium. One of these days he is going to turn sideways and I won’t see him anymore!

For my cotton gifts, Eric gave me some fall-coloured tea towels:

20100831-IMG_1832

They will go smashingly with all the pumpkin and cinnamon. ;)

And a gorgeous retro apron from Anthropologie.

20100831-IMG_1882 20100831-IMG_1884

A great gift for a cooking + baking obsessed gal like myself.

Then it was time for our anniversary book.

20100831-IMG_1886

You might recall, I gave Eric this book for our 1st wedding anniversary (the ‘paper’ year).

Paper, now cotton. Well, at least we are making progress…?!

For the explanation and detail shots, see this post.

20100831-IMG_1889

Each year, we put together 1 large page that documents the entire year in review.

Last year I started it off

20100831-IMG_1891

and this year Eric made one.

20100831-IMG_1892

I laughed so hard when I saw the Vitamix thing.

20100831-IMG_1893

20100831-IMG_1894

If you are not watching Lie To Me yet, you must from the very first episode. You will thank me later, I promise!

20100831-IMG_1895

Eric did an awesome job! Next year it will be my turn again. :) I think it will be really fun to look back in 10, 15, 20 years and re-read everything and see how much things have changed. Or…we might just feel old and pour ourselves another glass of wine and laugh about how immature and naive we used to be.

Only time will tell!

After exchanging gifts, it was time to fill our bellies with delicious food.

Eric suggested that we cook together instead of going out. We rarely get a chance to cook together because Eric gets home from work so late, but last night it worked out just perfectly.

20100831-IMG_1809

20100831-IMG_1811

Cooking together is a great excuse to pour some wine and get all crazy.

20100831-IMG_1865 20100831-IMG_1866 20100831-IMG_1867 20100831-IMG_1869

20100831-IMG_1840

20100831-IMG_1835

This tea light set is one of my favourite purchases from Costco.

20100831-IMG_1836

Chewy, nutty, thick brown rice. Mmm.

20100831-IMG_1769

Homemade sauce with fresh herbs.

20100831-IMG_1766

Oh this smells good, I say. Want to try some?

20100831-IMG_1781

I can’t get over how fast cooking is when you have two people- and four hands- and 20 fingers! We prepared this meal from scratch start to finish in about 45 minutes (and that was mostly waiting for the sauce to cook while we put away dishes).

20100831-IMG_1823

Another great thing about aprons? They double as a bib when you eat tomato sauce dishes. ;)

Homemade Chunky Tomato Sauce over Salt-Kissed & Buttery Brown Rice

Ingredients:

Homemade Pasta Sauce:

• 2 large cans of organic diced tomatoes (796 ml can x 2)
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 1 cup butter beans (or other bean), processed until chunky paste forms
  • 2 patty pan squash, chopped
  • 1 large sweet onion, chopped
  • 1 green pepper, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • Fresh herbs: Thyme, parsley, oregano, minced (about 1-2 tbsp of each)
  • 1 tsp sea salt, to taste (more if necessary)
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • Sprinkle or three of Herbamare, to taste

Directions: In a large pot place all prepped ingredients. Stir well and cover. Cook over medium heat for 45 minutes.

Salt-Kissed & Buttery Brown Rice

• 2 cups brown rice
  • 5 cups (approx I didn’t measure) water
  • 1 vegetable brouillon cube
  • 2 tbsp Earth Balance

Directions: In a medium sized pot add water and bring to a boil. Once boiled, add bouillon cube, remove from heat, and dissolve. Now add 2 cups of rice. Cook over medium heat for about 30 minutes until tender, being sure to watch it carefully. Add more water if it becomes dry. When it is cooked spoon the Earth Balance on top and stir well. It will taste DELICIOUS!

20100831-IMG_1815

We fell in love with this dish. The brown rice was great too! Buttery, salty, and tons of flavour.

20100831-IMG_1819

We split a love muffin for dessert. Lovin’ the love muffins.

It was a fun night, but sadly it was over too soon. That is always the way when celebrations fall on a weeknight. Luckily the long weekend approaches!

Page 2 of 2«12
Kristen September 2, 2010

I really like the anniversary book. It’s cute.

Valerie September 2, 2010

I love your year in review books! I hope to make those with my husband one day in the future : ) Too cute. Glad you had a lovely anniversary!

newlywed September 2, 2010

Love the idea of the anniversary book!

Erin September 2, 2010

I am so trying that sauce for tomorrow’s dinner! Also, I have been OBSESSED with Lie to Me since it first started, haven’t missed an episode :-) I just find it so fascinating!!! It totally makes me want to learn how to do that. I love psychology :-)

Anne @ Food Loving Polar Bear September 2, 2010

I love the idea of an anniversary book, so cute :) I also adore your new apron.

sassy molassy September 1, 2010

Aw, such a cute way to spend your anniversary. I love that you two are keeping a book of your memories and what’s happened during that year.

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston September 1, 2010

Angela I love your anniversary book! I love scrapbooking and this might be something really fun for my husband and I as we are approaching our one year anniversary in gosh 2.5 weeks!

Mindy September 1, 2010

Your Anniversary Book is an AWESOME idea! I wish I’d thought of that.

Of course, my husband’s entries would be about guns and beer, so…maybe it wouldn’t be that great for us. ;)

Katelyn September 1, 2010

Awe! Anniversaries (and your new apron!) are the cutest. I’ve been wanting a cute apron for awhile, but never get myself to splurge on one :)

Lie to Me is my FAVORITE show!! I’m so glad to see that you like it too. It teaches me how to detect liars, AND I love British accents :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 1, 2010

That apron is the cutest!

And I love your anniversary book. That’s going to be great to look back on when you’re older. :D

Jill September 1, 2010

So simple- tomato sauce on rice- and yet I’ve never thought of doing it before. I will be cooking a version of this sometime soon for sure. Cooking couple time is the greatest :) Congrats on your anniversary.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter September 1, 2010

Happy Anniversary to you two! I love the book you have. Creating pages with prices, pop culture things and whats going on in your life is so cool. It will be great to look back on.

Alexa September 1, 2010

When did you get that tea light set from Costco?? I looooooove it, and it would look great in our entry way!

Neen@Broad Bean to Runner Bean September 1, 2010

Wow i really really love that idea for the anniversary book, we get married in November do you mind if i steal your idea! i love it so much!! such a fun and meaningful keepsake that will span the years of your lives!!! x

Andrea @ Thin Thighs & Sweet Potato Fries September 1, 2010

I love, love, love the anniversary book idea! Especially how you alternate. I will have to steal this idea from you when I get married! ;) Love the apron also! Happy anniversary!

Jess (Bmore Balanced) September 1, 2010

The anniversary book might be the best idea that I’ve seen for scrapbooking ever. I love the idea of taking turns designing the page each year. My best friend is getting married in May. I will have to tell her about your idea. Congrats!

Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) September 1, 2010

It looks like you had a fab evening. I must say, I really like the idea of the anniversary book. I’ve never seen anything like it. It’s like a time capsule in a way. I love it.

Caitlin (EatFeats) September 1, 2010

Love the apron! Cotton is a funny thing to have to give, but at least it means new clothes!

erica September 1, 2010

awww, i love that scrapbook idea!!!!
and i love your apron! its super cute!

Morgan @ Life After Bagels September 1, 2010

I really love the scrap book, really so much, really that I might have to steal the idea!

stacey September 1, 2010

I love your scrapbook. That is such a great idea!

I have that same apron from Anthro. I could not pass it up when I saw it in the store last month:)

Meredith September 1, 2010

I love the wine-pouring shots! It would make a perfect set of prints for a dining room.

Jessica September 1, 2010

Hi! I hope no one else has asked this question. How did you get your rice to not be so goo like! I rinse mine before cooking and it is still so starchy.

Laurab @ foodsnobstl September 1, 2010

Don’t you just love Anthropologie?! I am very impressed by your anniversary book!

Halley @ Blunder Construction September 1, 2010

What a special night! I loveee the anniversay book, that is such a sweet idea!

Tracey September 1, 2010

Happy Anniversary again Angela and Eric! You two are adorable. Glad you had a great day together!

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) September 1, 2010

Happy Anneversary! ;)

I love when Brian cooks with me. I agree. It goes SO MUST faster! AND… it’s fun to have him in there with me.. helping, asking questions, making suggestions. Kinda like a chemistry project for him I think.

I love your anneversary book! SO CUTE!! I swear, you have the best ideas. :D I love that Eric did a page. Such a sweet husband you have my friend!

Oh, and I think I am in love with the apron Eric got you! So thoughtful. Was that your first one ? My sister got my my first apron (not sure how I did it before – oh wait, I spilled all over my clothes all the time ;P) last Christmas. – m

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 1, 2010

I think one of the first aprons I received was from my mom ‘Queen of tarts’ apron. It is still kicking, but I have worn it down. Luckily it is black and hides stains!

chelsey September 1, 2010

I LOVE the anniversary book idea! Thank you so much!

Anne @ a daily slice September 1, 2010

The scrapbook is SUCH a cute idea :) I’m totally stealing it, except for the fact that our anniversary has come and gone!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 1, 2010

hey its never too late!

Stacey September 1, 2010

Hi I came across your blog about a month ago through the bootycamp fitness bolg and I’ve loved reading it! I’m from Calgary and it’s nice to read about things that I can actually find in my city! I made your fudge brownies last night and they were awesome. I’ve dabbed with going meatless for the last few years and its been great to read so many vegan and meatless recipes! Thanks :)

Also, I LOVE the idea of your anniversary book! That will be such a treat over the years. Thanks again for the interesting facts and stories. I ordered some of your glo-bars the other week just in time for snacking at school! Hope you have a great day

Stacey

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 1, 2010

Thanks for the nice comment, I am glad you enjoy the blog! :)

Vicky @ eat live spin September 1, 2010

You guys are adorable… I actually just got married a few days ago… and after reading your post I am thinking of paper based gifts for our 1 year… What anniversary is jewelry? Can’t wait for that one.

My favorite dish when I am home alone is brown rice with tomato sauce… I just add fresh grated parm. Delish!

Annie@stronghealthyfit September 1, 2010

Gorgeous apron! You two look so happy :-)

MoniMeals September 1, 2010

Oh My! You both make for the cutest couple! Just adorable. :) Great apron!