Scratch

Happy September!

It hurts so good, doesn’t it?

Just wanted to quickly let you know I added the banana in the Love Muffin recipe! Sorry for the delay. I meant to fix it yesterday and then I forgot in all the excitement.

Let me continue with yesterday’s anniversary recap from way back in August… ;)

The traditional gift for a 2nd year wedding anniversary is cotton.

Sadly, not jewelry. Or copious amounts of chocolate smothered in White Chocolate Peanut Butter.

Sooooo….I got Eric a couple new cotton shirts…

20100830IMG 1690 thumb   Scratch

20100831IMG 1765 thumb   Scratch  20100831IMG 1763 thumb   Scratch

Amazingly, they fit AND he liked them. I usually get one or the other so I consider this a success. Eric has gone from an Extra-large to a large and now he is a medium. One of these days he is going to turn sideways and I won’t see him anymore!

For my cotton gifts, Eric gave me some fall-coloured tea towels:

20100831IMG 1832 thumb   Scratch

They will go smashingly with all the pumpkin and cinnamon. ;)

And a gorgeous retro apron from Anthropologie.

20100831IMG 1882 thumb   Scratch 20100831IMG 1884 thumb   Scratch

A great gift for a cooking + baking obsessed gal like myself.

Then it was time for our anniversary book.

20100831IMG 1886 thumb   Scratch

You might recall, I gave Eric this book for our 1st wedding anniversary (the ‘paper’ year).

Paper, now cotton. Well, at least we are making progress…?!

For the explanation and detail shots, see this post.

20100831IMG 1889 thumb   Scratch

Each year, we put together 1 large page that documents the entire year in review.

Last year I started it off

20100831IMG 1891 thumb   Scratch

and this year Eric made one.

20100831IMG 1892 thumb   Scratch

I laughed so hard when I saw the Vitamix thing.

20100831IMG 1893 thumb   Scratch

20100831IMG 1894 thumb   Scratch

If you are not watching Lie To Me yet, you must from the very first episode. You will thank me later, I promise!

20100831IMG 1895 thumb   Scratch

Eric did an awesome job! Next year it will be my turn again. :) I think it will be really fun to look back in 10, 15, 20 years and re-read everything and see how much things have changed. Or…we might just feel old and pour ourselves another glass of wine and laugh about how immature and naive we used to be.

Only time will tell!

After exchanging gifts, it was time to fill our bellies with delicious food.

Eric suggested that we cook together instead of going out. We rarely get a chance to cook together because Eric gets home from work so late, but last night it worked out just perfectly.

20100831IMG 1809 thumb   Scratch

20100831IMG 1811 thumb   Scratch

Cooking together is a great excuse to pour some wine and get all crazy.

20100831IMG 1865 thumb   Scratch 20100831IMG 1866 thumb   Scratch 20100831IMG 1867 thumb   Scratch 20100831IMG 1869 thumb   Scratch

20100831IMG 1840 thumb   Scratch

20100831IMG 1835 thumb   Scratch

This tea light set is one of my favourite purchases from Costco.

20100831IMG 1836 thumb   Scratch

Chewy, nutty, thick brown rice. Mmm.

20100831IMG 1769 thumb   Scratch

Homemade sauce with fresh herbs.

20100831IMG 1766 thumb   Scratch

Oh this smells good, I say. Want to try some?

20100831IMG 1781 thumb   Scratch

I can’t get over how fast cooking is when you have two people- and four hands- and 20 fingers! We prepared this meal from scratch start to finish in about 45 minutes (and that was mostly waiting for the sauce to cook while we put away dishes).

20100831IMG 1823 thumb   Scratch

Another great thing about aprons? They double as a bib when you eat tomato sauce dishes. ;)

Homemade Chunky Tomato Sauce over Salt-Kissed & Buttery Brown Rice

Ingredients:

Homemade Pasta Sauce:

• 2 large cans of organic diced tomatoes (796 ml can x 2)
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 1 cup butter beans (or other bean), processed until chunky paste forms
  • 2 patty pan squash, chopped
  • 1 large sweet onion, chopped
  • 1 green pepper, chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • Fresh herbs: Thyme, parsley, oregano, minced (about 1-2 tbsp of each)
  • 1 tsp sea salt, to taste (more if necessary)
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • Sprinkle or three of Herbamare, to taste

Directions: In a large pot place all prepped ingredients. Stir well and cover. Cook over medium heat for 45 minutes.

Salt-Kissed & Buttery Brown Rice

• 2 cups brown rice
  • 5 cups (approx I didn’t measure) water
  • 1 vegetable brouillon cube
  • 2 tbsp Earth Balance

Directions: In a medium sized pot add water and bring to a boil. Once boiled, add bouillon cube, remove from heat, and dissolve. Now add 2 cups of rice. Cook over medium heat for about 30 minutes until tender, being sure to watch it carefully. Add more water if it becomes dry. When it is cooked spoon the Earth Balance on top and stir well. It will taste DELICIOUS!

20100831IMG 1815 thumb   Scratch

We fell in love with this dish. The brown rice was great too! Buttery, salty, and tons of flavour.

20100831IMG 1819 thumb   Scratch

We split a love muffin for dessert. Lovin’ the love muffins.

It was a fun night, but sadly it was over too soon. That is always the way when celebrations fall on a weeknight. Luckily the long weekend approaches!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat September 1, 2010

As a big scrapbooking nerd, I LOVE your anniversary book! (And Eric’s Vitamix page is great!) It looks like you two had a beautiful day. Congratulations again! :)

Lauren @ 40Apples September 1, 2010

I love this Anniversary Book tradition! What a wonderful way to capture your years together. And such a sweet homemade Anniversary dinner :)

Kristin September 1, 2010

That’s cute you celebrated your cotton year. Our second anniversary was in May and my mom bought us bathroom towels. I was like, “Um, thanks?” until she explained it. =D

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 1, 2010

Congrats again on your anniversary Angela and Eric!

I love your new apron and those tea towels are beautiful. You two are so adorable, I wish you both the best!

Freya (Brit Chick Runs) September 1, 2010

Eric has great taste in cotton! I want your apron :p
And that anniversary book is SUCH a good idea – that’ll be awesome to look back on in decades :)

Lauren M. September 1, 2010

Oh Goodness! I LOVE that anniversary book idea! Do you think if I make love muffins for my boyfriend he will propose to me in a week?! ;-)

Jami (Sensical Musings) September 1, 2010

I too LOVE the anniversary book idea. Congrats on your 2nd!! I am about 5 weeks out from my 1st and very excited. I saw somewhere that clocks were for a first anniversary, so I think I better look deeper if it’s actually paper.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 1, 2010

I think there is usually a traditional item and a modern one for each year…and sometimes more than one too! :)

Tanya @ Life with the Kummerows September 1, 2010

Angela is right, there is a traditional and modern. Clocks and Paper for our first. I’m not sure what the modern gift for 2nd is…I’ll have to look that up.

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 1, 2010

I think it might be china!

I love their idea of a beach towel + vacation…lol…why didnt we think of that!? ;)

Jami (Sensical Musings) September 2, 2010

Excellent. I found a really cool clock that I can personalize with our last name and
Est. 2009 on the face. Perhaps for the paper I can write him a poem to go along with it. Thanks guys!

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life September 1, 2010

That anniversary book is so adorable, and such a great idea. I am glad you guys had an awesome anniversary dinner! :)

Emily September 1, 2010

I love the idea of the anniversary book, what a beautiful way to remember and celebrate each year. I definitely agree that there is something wonderfully romantic about cooking together, especcially when wine is involved :) oh and I totally loved and voted for the portabella recipe,relish!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 1, 2010

thank you!

Nicole September 1, 2010

What a cute idea! I love hearing about unique ways couples celebrate and commemorate milestones.

Dana P. September 1, 2010

Happy Anniversary! Is it ok if I steal the anniversary book idea? What a fabulous thing to do! Your children will appreciate that so much one day. I’ve already told my husband we need to make one. We’ll be celebrating our third in May so we can make the first two pages retroactively :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 1, 2010

Of course! I hope you have fun with it. We had a blast reading over last year’s and it has only been a year! It is amazing the things you forget…

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) September 1, 2010

An anthropologie apron and tea towels? He’s a good shopper!!

cooking together is so much fun, it’s one of our favorite things to do together – the dinner you guys made looks great!

Jessica @ How Sweet September 1, 2010

Ah I just love that book! How cute!

Elli @ 16 and Losing It September 1, 2010

I love that you guys decided to cook together rather than go out to eat! Cooking with someone else can be so much fun, and you enjoy the food that much more! Your anniversary book is so cute! I agree it will be a lot of fun for you guys to look back and see what things have changed. That rice looks so good! I’m always looking for veggie dishes so this will definitely be on my list of things to make!

Amanda September 1, 2010

I love the book idea. I always love to look at my grandparents old details and I think someday your family will enjoy going through all of your years!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg September 1, 2010

That apron is awesome!!! I love retro aprons like that!

Haha…for our first anniversary, I told my husband that I wanted EVERY anniversary to be a jewelry anniversary…and he complied :-)

Laura (Blogging Over Thyme) September 1, 2010

I’m loving the anniversary book idea! I also love that you switch back and forth each year. Such a great way to look back and remember (especially for people like me, with awful memory). I did a similar type scrapbook (which I have yet to finish, unfortunately) for my study abroad experience in college. I pretty much collected pamphlets, receipts, tickets, you name it throughout the whole semester and brought it all back!

Thanks for providing another inspirational idea for me!

Heather (Heather's Dish) September 1, 2010

you guys are so cute! and way to go Eric on that apron and the book!

Abby September 1, 2010

AHH! Now I really want to make an anniversary book! Such a cool idea!!

Ashley Craft September 1, 2010

I love your anniversary book!!! What an excellent idea!! And of course your pasta sauce looks amazing!!!

Jessie September 1, 2010

I love that anniversary book, such a great idea!

Dorry September 1, 2010

Looks like the perfect anniversary! I love your Anniversary Book – such a great way to reflect on the year. I’m bookmarking this recipe – looks delish.

Maria September 1, 2010

I loove Anthropologie – that apron looks like it was made for you! Very sweet gifts!

Wei-Wei September 1, 2010

So romantic. Swoon! And I LOVE your anniversary book. I think I’ll make one when it’s time ;)

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ September 1, 2010

Love that apron, you two are too cute and so in love.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman September 1, 2010

That apron is gorgeous. Eric scores major points for that. You guys are so great with noting every anniversary. That’s one of those things I wish I would do but never will get around to. You’re so going to appreciate that 25 years from now.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday September 1, 2010

Oh I love your anniversary book! Such a cute idea!

Cynthia (It All Changes) September 1, 2010

I love your anniversary book. Such a great idea. It would be so funny at the 50 year anniversary and look back seeing we loved Criminal minds :-)

Kelly September 1, 2010

I love the idea of that anniversary book! That will be so fun to look at in years to come and see all the memories.

I am in LOVE with the apron Eric gave you!! It is so cute and perfect! I have been dying for an anthropologie apron and this might just be the last push to get me to buy one. Love it!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 1, 2010

they are great quality and fit well!

TheKiwiBex September 1, 2010

Congratulations! The anniversary book is a wonderful idea…also, I voted for you in the mushroom recipe contest :)

Amber K September 1, 2010

I always want dinner NOW, so all of my dinners take at most 25 minutes. I just can’t wait that long!

Oh, and I totally agree that it is easier to get dinner done with two people. I really miss cooking with my husband. He got a new job that has him working 10-12 hour days with a total of 2 hours commute. I barely see him!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 1, 2010

I feel your pain…

Rachel September 1, 2010

Happy anniversary! I am totally stealing that anniversary book idea. What a neat project!

I can’t wait for next Wednesday to celebrate my anniversary!

Tina September 1, 2010

I LOVE the idea of the anniversary book. What a great way to look back and remember things you might otherwise have forgotten – like favorite shows. I might have to start stealing that. Luckily we only have 3 years to get caught up on. LOL

Tanya @ Life with the Kummerows September 1, 2010

I love the new apron! I’m forwarding this post to my husband for “ideas” our 2 year is coming up soon! Good luck on the mushroom contest. I voted and saw that you have 90% of the votes so far!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 1, 2010

thanks for your support!

Jillian@ ReshapeYourLife September 1, 2010

Oh my that apron made me swoon out loud when I saw it!

I love the anniversary book idea!! And I love how IN LOVE you two are with each other! It is so refreshing!

Andrea (@ Puppy Dog Tales) September 1, 2010

You two are so cute. Wait until you have kids pulling at that pretty apron….4 hands won’t be nearly enough! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 1, 2010

haha so true!

Lisa September 1, 2010

I LOVE those candles! They look like Fall to me.

Marina September 1, 2010

I think I’m going to borrow your anniversary book idea, when I’m married of course :D
Pasta sauce sounds delicious!

Kaitlyn (College Girl Runs) September 1, 2010

Yum! That food looks good. Your anniversary book is sooo cute!

Ashley September 1, 2010

Oooooh LOVE the apron. Nice going Eric. I have one from Anthro too but always forget to wear it! You book idea is amazing. I love that you switch off every year. Eric’s page is quite impressive! Dinner looks simple but so so delicious. That homemade sauce looks to die for. I’m terrible at picking out clothes for Chris too. He is extremely picky and has also just changed sizes as well. He’s lost like 15lbs in the past 1.5 yrs! Now he’s in between med/lg which is just oh.so.annoying. ;) LOVE you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 1, 2010

The med/lg sizes hurt and stores always vary too I find!

Page 1 of 212»