Strawberry, Banana, n’ Nut Butter Love Muffins

I always say that it was my baking that wooed Eric hook, line, and sinker.

20100830IMG 1709 thumb   Strawberry, Banana, n’ Nut Butter Love Muffins

You might be surprised but, it wasn’t my sarcastic teasing, astounding ability to trip over invisible objects, or occasional snorting when I laugh that wooed him.

Nope.

It was the baking.

20100830IMG 1710 thumb   Strawberry, Banana, n’ Nut Butter Love Muffins

[Although, might I add the above mentioned ‘qualities’ grew on him like a bad weed. He now lives to see me trip and snort when I laugh. He is cruel like that.]

Back in high school and university, I used to bake Eric a huge batch of muffins almost every week and he would snack on them around the clock, fueling himself through classes and late night binges of World of Warcraft.

I know. *swoon.

The only difference between now and then is that back then I used muffin mixes from a bag and now I make them from scratch, but in all seriousness, those muffin mixes do make a mean muffin!

However, I learned that making muffins from scratch is much, much cheaper. And quite easy too. :)

The week before Eric proposed to me, I made him a particularly delicious batch of muffins. They had strawberries and banana and a pinch of magic.

From then on, they were called the love muffins.

Upon first bite, they cast a love spell over the person eating them. Use at your own risk….

20100830IMG 1729 thumb   Strawberry, Banana, n’ Nut Butter Love Muffins

These taste down right dreamy.

20100830IMG 1717 thumb   Strawberry, Banana, n’ Nut Butter Love Muffins

Now be warned, the love spell only lasts until the last muffin is consumed! Then, the spell will be broken and your magic carriage will turn into a pumpkin.

20100830IMG 1724 thumb   Strawberry, Banana, n’ Nut Butter Love Muffins

But you know what they say, when life gives you pumpkin make scuffins.

Have you ever wooed someone with your cooking or baking? Do you have any signature dishes that make ‘em weak in the knees?

Kelly August 31, 2010

My hubster LOVES muffins. The first year we were married I found a cute little muffin cookbook in a gift shop in Mystic, CT. Every recipe was delish. We started a tradition of homemade soup with homemade muffins once a week. He still talks about that even 27 years later. Thanks to you, I have found a lot of substitutions for making these recipes a little healthier (flax eggs, spelt flour, sucanat, etc.) Thanks for all the great recipes you share.

mindy August 31, 2010

Where are the bananas in the recipe? I have read it a few times and I don’t see them.

Jamie August 31, 2010

Banana??? Where’s the banana????

Zorana August 31, 2010

These pictures are absolutely amazing! Love the story behind them too. I’m making them today.

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf August 31, 2010

This one time in college I had made pot roast for a church function. There were leftovers, and a few days later I added some soy sauce and other seasonings (I originally left the meat bland. It was my first attempt!) and gave it to my husband (then-boyfriend) in a bowl served over rice. The first thing he said after eating it was, “I’M MARRYING THIS WOMAN!”

I cook a lot more often now that we’re out of the dorms and all. And he loves just about anything I feed him. I know he will never leave me, because then I wouldn’t cook for him! ;)

Amber K August 31, 2010

My husband enjoys everything I cook or bake for him. But then he is also the least picky person in the entire world when it comes to food. The kind of person who would eat dinner even if I burned it to a crisp and say “thanks hun.” :)

Johanna August 31, 2010

My husband tells me he was smitten from the moment he met me, and I didn’t really start really cooking until we were together about 8 or 9 months, but I have to say cooking probably has deepened our love! My hubby loves coming home to my healthy meals, and I’ve helped him get over long-held prejudices he’s had to certain foods, like beets and avocado. I also pack our lunches to save money and provide healthy options (I also have lots of food allergies so it’s just easier to pack). I like to experiment with raw and vegan foods and he usually likes what I make.

My husband definitely likes my tacos and my tortilla soup, as well as my salads. I used to work at a salad and sandwich bar at college so I’m pretty good at salads! :-)

christyn @ All Ways Nutritious August 31, 2010

these muffins look fab and i love all the ingredients…did you add banana?

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] August 31, 2010

Aw, yummm! Really love the photos : )

suzlk August 31, 2010

What an adorable story! you wooed your man… hehe :)
I most certainly didn’t woo my man with my cooking – if anything, his toleration of my mad inventions (pasta with mustard, ketchup, sliced american cheese, soy sauce and onion… it was the worst!) made me love HIM! i’ve improved a lot, thankfully, and as you maybe know, i’m trying to be even better. I love cooking and love together!

Jenny August 31, 2010

Dustin loves applesauce muffins. Which is odd because I stole that recipe from an ex’s mom! :) I have a vegan cookie recipe that he loves and I caught him saying that they were the best cookies ever. When I pointed it out, he denied it, but let’s face it…vegan baked goods are downright delicious.
Before being vegan, I would make Chicken a la range, which is applesauce used in place of water with a box of cornbread stuffing, and wrapped in a chicken breast like a burrito. Bake with butter on top and serve with this homemade orange sauce. It’s divine.

Errign August 31, 2010

I am wondering where the banana is too :)

Also, any substitutes for coconut butter? Do you also think it would be okay to just leave the nuts out? Thanks :)

erin m. @ {{well in l.a.}} August 31, 2010

Beautiful photography! Your muffins are going to replace my love of strawberry cupcakes! Can’t wait to try them! And happy anniversary!

Valerie August 31, 2010

First of all, I cannot wait to try those muffins! : ) They look DELICIOUS.

Second, I’m just learning my way around the kitchen now, but the boys in my building love it when I cook potatoes. I don’t do anything too special with them, just a little olive oil and some rosemary and bake them for a little bit, but if I make them as an appetizer for a dinner party, they are gone in seconds. Maybe I need to buy more potatoes! No one has fallen in love with me over my cooking yet, but as I said, I’m still learning! :D

Lisa August 31, 2010

As someone who has ALOT of food allergies, especially to lots of artificial foods and colorings, etc, its so great to see people like myself who take pride in the foods they put into their bodies! I love your blog and all your recipes! =) Continue blogging forever!

Caitlin @ Right Foot Forward August 31, 2010

Fun story! No big deal about the pumpkin, it’s almost that season anyway, after all!

Maegan August 31, 2010

I tried to make these muffins and my husband said they were terrible! Help how do you make them taste good? They kind of tasted salty and I am not sure what I did wrong!

Angela (Oh She Glows) September 1, 2010

IM SO sorry I forgot to add the banana in the recipe! I’m sure that was it. It has been added now.

Olivia September 1, 2010

I made these without banana and with avocado instead of Coconut Butter and they are delicious still – cant wait to try with Banana!

Janel September 1, 2010

I love it! It’s like engagement chicken for vegans! (And that engagement chicken totally “worked” for 2 of my friends haha). They look great!

GirlOverboard September 1, 2010

Is it possible to make these without the banana? Any suggestions for another fruit, or if I do just plain strawberry, will the consistency be off? I ask because as much as I love banana, the hubby is unfortunately allergic. :(

Fanta September 7, 2010

*crossing fingers* I can bake pre-mixes, ace that… but this was a hilarious first time bake from scratch. Almost religious asking my cooking angels to gather me some baking angels and please let them turn out… I started to bake until I realized there were no bananas… he he I scooped it out and added them in! Waiting for the time to go off… hoping that I won’t kill them if I sincerely forgot the baking soda :S Oh well! It’s our one year anniversary so regardless I know he’ll appreciate it! Thanks so much for putting up this post :)

Sincerely,

Fanta

Megan April 11, 2012

These might just be my favorite muffins now! SOOO delicious! I was apprehensive about how much nut butter was going in, but it turned out beautifully. Leaving the banana in chunks really complimented the strawberry!

Hannah May 10, 2012

Yumm ! I’m 15 and decided I wanted to vegan officially about a month and a half ago, this is my favourite blog! Could I sub the strawberries for apples or another fruit? I’ve been DYING to try these for about a month and the strawberries in Ottawa are looking pretty gross lately :( I have tons of vegan cookbooks but everytime I want to make something, I come here!!! :) really want to make the hummus recipe, must remember tahini next time I’m at the store, I always forget -.-

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 10, 2012

Thanks you Hannah! Im sure you could sub in another fruit. Maybe read through the comments for ideas?

Lyndsay September 3, 2013

I love to bake muffins as well. I used to bake different muffins for an old boyfriend who then started calling me muffin. Will have to give this recipe a go!

Jana December 13, 2013

These sounded lovely… but when making them I had a bit of trouble! You list 1 large banana mashed, left a bit chunky in the instructions but don’t mention in the instructions where to put it in… I cooked my muffins without it and at first they where still very doughy … I left them in for about 1/2 an hour more and now they are alright but still not perfect. Is this because of the missing banana?

Keep up the good work with your blog generally though, apart from this, all your receipes have turned out amazing!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) December 15, 2013

Hi Jana, Thanks so much for letting me know! It should have been mixed in with the wet ingredients. I’ll add that in now. Hope you still enjoyed them!

Tessa May 23, 2014

Made these tonight… Turned out soooooo yummy! Thank you! I wonder what the best way is
To store them? Sealed up and in the fridge? I need them to last until I can share them with my honey.

Page 3 of 3«123