How Often Do You Replace Your Running Shoes?

20100829IMG 1664 thumb   How Often Do You Replace Your Running Shoes?

This was a REALLY tough one to guess!

20100829IMG 1665 thumb   How Often Do You Replace Your Running Shoes?

Apple cupcakes.

20100829IMG 1660 thumb   How Often Do You Replace Your Running Shoes?

I saw this idea in one of Martha’s magazines at my sister’s place and I knew I had to make them immediately! All I could think about was how much kids would enjoy these fun apple ‘cupcakes’.

20100829IMG 1652 thumb   How Often Do You Replace Your Running Shoes?

Or 27 year old kids. ;)

Apple Cupcakes

Adapted from Martha.

Ingredients:

Directions: Core apple and cut in half. Place apple cut side up and add a layer of nut butter, cobbler, and coconut on one half. On the other half add a big scoop of ‘icing’ (aka pudding!) and then cobbler and coconut. If making a bunch for a party, serve in jumbo muffin liners on a serving tray.

20100829IMG 1656 thumb   How Often Do You Replace Your Running Shoes?

I had my apple cupcakes with 2/3 of a not-yet-existing Glo bar.

20100829IMG 1657 thumb   How Often Do You Replace Your Running Shoes?

I looooooved this cupcake idea. So fun. Can’t you just see these at a kids birthday party or at a baby shower?

20100829IMG 1667 thumb   How Often Do You Replace Your Running Shoes?

And of course the topping ideas are endless! Nut butter, pudding, granola, yogurt, VOO, etc!

20100829IMG 1668 thumb   How Often Do You Replace Your Running Shoes?

After digesting, I hit the road for a short and sweet 5k run.

run5k thumb   How Often Do You Replace Your Running Shoes?

A great run and it was over before I knew it began.

How often do you replace your running shoes?

Over the past few weeks I have been suspecting that I need to order another pair of running shoes. I searched online for information on when to replace them because I wasn’t really sure! In the past, I have simply replaced them when they got really, really worn down or holes in them, but even though my Brooks sneakers are currently still intact I have noticed that they don’t feel the same anymore and don’t have the same support.

How did I know this? Because lately I have been tying my shoelaces tighter and tighter just to obtain the support I need and I never had to do this before. I have also noticed a few aches and pains in my foot that I never had previously.

I found an article on Running.about.com and it says that you should replace your runners every 300-400 miles (other articles say 300-550 or every 3-6 months, so it varies a lot!). I did a quick tally of my mileage since I bought the shoes mid-March and I have run over 310 miles on these sneakers. It has been exactly 6 months too!

I run outdoors which is harder on shoes and I also run on rougher terrain at times (gravel and lots of hills/declines); both of these factors can wear your shoes down faster.

There are also lots of tests you can do on your sneakers to check for wear and tear (found here).

So it looks like all signs point to ordering a new pair ASAP! What better excuse to gather up all our old sneakers and donate them to a good cause too.

I think it is important to keep in mind that the above articles are simply recommendations and rules of thumb. It is always important to listen to how your body feels most importantly and trust your gut.

How often do you replace your sneakers?

Annie@stronghealthyfit August 30, 2010

Wicked cute ‘cupcakes’! What a great idea.
I replace my running shoes every six (er.. 7 ?) months. I haven’t calculated the average number of miles I run in a six-month time period, but that seems to work for me. Sometimes I let it go a few months though, depending on whether or not I can afford them. I’m due for a new pair right about now too! Same problem, tying the laces tighter and tighter.

Alex August 30, 2010

How creative! I’m excited to try and make those in my dorm room! They’d make a perfect, healthy, evening snack!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 30, 2010

Cute muffins!! Definitely much healthier than the real things ;) And tastier, too!

I’ve had the same sneakers for years..at least three or four. But really, I don’t run much anymore, they’re still supporting me well, and they’re holding up..almost like new except for a little wear n tear.. so I don’t see any need to replace them yet. :P

Julie @SavvyEats August 30, 2010

What a cute idea! I feel like this would be really good on a pear, too (though not as much of a cupcake-shape… )

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman August 30, 2010

Those apple “cupcakes” are awesome! I love that idea. Does Martha ever have a bad idea? No.

MarathonVal August 30, 2010

I never knew which rule to follow since as you mentioned, everyone seems to say something different… 300 miles, 500 miles, etc. I have a bone spur on the back of my shoe so I have to replace my shoes whenever the cloth starts to wear down, which is usually sooner than I would like. If only running shoes were cheaper :)

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA August 30, 2010

Those apple cupcakes look great! I should experiment more with apple recipes, I just love them so much plain.

I know I don’t replace my workout shoes enough. I’ve had the same ones for about four years, and I only got those because they were a Christmas gift. I keep things for a very long time and don’t get new stuff unless somebody gives it to me. But I don’t run, so they’re walking/elliptical/aerobics shoes and not running shoes. My mom’s a runner and I know she gets new shoes about every six months.

Aneta August 30, 2010

Angela, you read my mind.
for the past week or so, i have been thinking about replacing my shoes and thinking how often I should do that.

i think its time for me!! thnx for the reminder!!

happy monday!

Kim August 30, 2010

Around 400 miles I always start to feel it in my legs – my joints start aching, my legs feel tired, etc. I try to swap my shoes out around 400 or 450.

Leanne @ Radiant, Balanced & Fit August 30, 2010

Good morning Angela! Those apple “cupcakes” look absolutely adorable and delicious!

As for the sneakers… I began working out continuously last September (1 year anniversary coming up… of sticking with a healthy lifestyle!!) and have worn the same sneakers the whole time. Since June-ish when I began doing more running (aka. more mileage) i’ve noticed the support in my sneakers slowly going. If I keep up this running thing (or should I say, because I’m going to keep this running business up :p ) I will need to start replacing my shoes more often for sure!

I’m hoping to wait ’til October to purchase new ones… a good birthday present for myself :)

marysol August 30, 2010

Oh! Be very mindful about the shoes!!!
I was preparing for a half marathon and did not feel like breaking in new shoes a month before The Run, so I kept on putting the mileage… I ended up hurting one leg really bad the week before the marathon. Then, being quite stubborn, I kept on running, put the weight on the other leg, and hurt that one too. It left me unable to run for more than a year (so I swam!)

Love the blog!! Discover it through thefood.ca

T August 30, 2010

Which issue of Martha’s magazine’s was the original apple cupcake recipe? I can’t seem to find it on her website…
Love this healthy/vegan variation, though!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 30, 2010

I’m not as big as a runner as you, and due to my knee problems I’m stuck running on an indoor rubber track. Usually I replace them once a year, but now with all of my limitations I’ve gotten more use out of them. They still feel amazing every time I put them on, so I’ll stick with them for now.

Bridget August 30, 2010

I would have never guessed that you would make apple cupcakes. How clever!!! And delicious :)

Susan August 30, 2010

I get new sneakers every six months on the dot. Otherwise I start to experience weird aches and pains after the 6-month mark. I’m pretty sure running in old shoes was one of the contributing factors to my hip injury last year! I don’t think people realize how much cushioning is lost during that period of time, but you can really notice it once you run in the new pair :)

Stacy August 30, 2010

Oh my yum! These look so amazing, I can’t wait to make them!

Corey @ the runner's cookie August 30, 2010

I go through about 4 pairs per year, so that would be every 3 months, except I am almost always using 2 pairs at a time. Alternating between 2 pairs of running shoes helps them last longer because if you only run on them every other day or less, the material in the shoe has more time to “bounce back” and recover from the running you do in them, making the shoe slower to break down.
Your apples are so cute and creative! :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg August 30, 2010

LOVE this breakfast idea!! So creative!

I’m pretty lazy about switching out my shoes…I just get so attached to my current pair! It’s like saying goodbye to an old friend when I get a new pair!

Katheryn August 30, 2010

I replace my running shoes every 4-6 months. Depends on how hard I’ve been training.

Apple cupcakes look yummy!

Jen @ Tip Top Shape August 30, 2010

Those apple cupcakes look delicious, I am so glad I will have something to do with the apples I have on the counter!

And I don’t replace my running shoes nearly enough but I am definitely going to be needing new ones soon!

Tanya @ Life with the Kummerows August 30, 2010

I usually replace my sneakers every year. I fall into a routine of running moderately during the summer, hard in the fall, training for a late fall race and then giving up on running in the winter (too cold!) and then starting back up in late spring, early summer. So I think one good pair a year works for me. I buy them always at the end of summer during the middle of my training period. And they last throughout my one big race a year, and then get me through until the end of the next summer while I do short runs. This year I am hoping to run through the winter and train hard in the spring too…so I may need two pairs this year…so yeah, I guess every 6 months!

Joanna @ landanimal.wordpress.com August 30, 2010

It makes sense to me to go by mileage rather than distance. I have had mine for over a year now, but I am not a distance runner by any means. I have just begun upping it to 2 miles 3x a week. So yeah, my shoes can last. They are still very springy and supportive.

Kimmi August 30, 2010

If you take your shoes into a running store, the staff are usually very knowledgeable and helpful. They can look at your shoes and bend them and tell you if you’re due for a new pair very quickly.

Elle @ A Galley Slave August 30, 2010

The apples look like fun.

I replace my running shoes about every 400 miles and then they become my walking shoes till they wear out!

I can tell by the way my legs feel that it is time to replace my running shoes… my legs start to feel heavy after a run. I look at my running log and tally up the miles and am usually pretty close to the 400 mile mark, give or take a few.

monicanelsonfitness August 30, 2010

I just got so excited by your apple pics! Yum and adorable. :) I am also a sucker for Martha LIVING, the Halloween issue is out(my favorite), is that where these lil cuties came from? I replace running shoes every 4 months but honestly I feel like every 2-3 I need to. It makes a huge difference and I think many folks go too long. I also recycle my shoes or donate them so I don’t feel so bad. :)

Amber K August 30, 2010

Those apple “cupcakes” look sooo good! They make me wish my stomach could handle digesting apples!

I work out mostly in a gym and mostly on low-impact things. So I tend to keep them for about a year. If I were running a lot, I would probably at least feel like I should replace them more often. I just don’t have a lot of money to spend on fitness stuff!

Tami August 30, 2010

i change my shoes a lot. every 5 months or so, about 300 miles. I love new sneakers and the kick it gives you to get back out there again.

i am wondering if you still use that lemon face scrub? i made a batch last night and used it today and i loved it.

Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice August 30, 2010

Aww apple cupcakes! What a cute idea.

I get really lazy about purchasing running shoes. I won’t replace them until they are well worn out, or until they start getting uncomfortable. I know it’s a bad habit but I don’t run alot so I feel that I’m not doing too much damage to my feet..

chelsey August 30, 2010

That looks SOO good!

I replace my shoes when they start to hurt to be perfectly honest with you! It’s usually 4-5 months. I got new ones in April and they’re hurting now, so it’s time to get a new pair!

tina August 30, 2010

I might have to have some apple cupcakes at my daughter’s 2nd bday party. Or for breakfast in the morning bec I’m impatient. ;)

I replace my shoes once a year, BUT I’m not a huge runner and generally only use them for lifting, kickbox, and some runs on the treadmill. After this pregnancy and once I try to pick up running more, I will likely replace them more often.

Kris August 30, 2010

It’s so funny you are posting about new shoes! I just ordered a pair online from Running Room that I have been eyeing for 6 months. They are Asics Gel ones and I am so excited. Running Room has 20% off onlien orders until Aug 31!

I figured I am way past due since my last pair are from 2002!!! Maybe these new shoes will give me a kick in my step :-)

Sylvia August 30, 2010

Hi! I just read your About page and I myself have struggled (and still struggling) with weight loss as well as eating disorders over the years. I was really inspired after reading your About page and it’s really such a motivating story.

That being said, I replace my running shoes every 6 months or so. I’m still working up to running but for the time being, I’m basically just walking. :)

Beth @ DiningAndDishing August 30, 2010

I have been training for a half-marathon and did have new shoes, but got them at a discount store for cheap! I had a terrible problem with shin splints and ended up caving and investing in a proper pair of shoes. What a difference! Since I have been running in my new shoes I haven’t had any troubles at all. A worthwhile investment for sure!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 30, 2010

That is the cutest idea for breakfast!

I have a hard time figuring out when to replace my running shoes because I don’t keep track of my mileage. I think I replaced my last pair after a year, but it sounds like I should probably think about replacing mine more frequently!

Dominika August 30, 2010

Hi Angela,

I’ve been reading your blog for a few months now, I absolutely love reading it; I bounce up and down everytime GoogleReader tells me you have a new post!

I did want to comment on your suggestion to donate old shoes. Contrary to popular belief, donating used goods are generally NOT as helpful as we think they are; in fact, sometimes they can do more harm than good. Here are two great articles explaining why:

Just wanted to send these your way since I’m guessing you’ll find them informative and helpful in future! Thanks for all your great posts and recipes!

-Dominika

Kelly August 30, 2010

Last year I was having some knee pain and decided to see someone about it. He recommended a few weeks of physical therapy that I could incorporate into my regular workouts. The Physical Therapist said that because of how often I workout and the intensity I should replace my shoes every 6 months. I workout inside so my shoes hardly ever show wear. So this year I replaced my old ones after 6 months and can really tell the difference in the cushion from old to new.

Leah @ Why Deprive? August 30, 2010

Those apple cupcakes are genius.

I have really high arches, and so as soon as the arch supports start to wear down I replace my shoes. It usually takes about 6 months or so depending on how often I run.

Therese August 30, 2010

I replace my shoes about every six months although while training for this half, I plan to buy new shoes directly afterwards as well as I’ve added more mileage than I’m used to.

I find six months works for my body as I start feeling minor aches in my hips and knees around this time. As soon as I buy new shoes it all goes away! I think depending on where your feet fall while running the breakdown on your shoes can vary from person to person. Some people have to replace them more frequently than others.

Kacy August 30, 2010

I definitely think you can tell when shoes need to be replaced, but I like to replace mine before 400 miles at least. Also, I rotate through 2 or 3 different pairs of shoes. Every shoe will cause us to run in a slightly different way – meaning some tendons/muslces can get overused if you only wear one pair. Wearing multiple pairs allows our leg muscles to shift the work so we don’t wind up with minor pains or injuries. Kind of expensive starting out, but it also means you have to replace them less often because you’re wearing each pair less.

GFree_Miel August 30, 2010

These are the cutest little morsels of food I’ve ever seen in my life. What a great idea! My sister and I seriously freaked out over how cute these are! I can’t wait to make these.

Thank you for the tips on buying new shoes. I’m not much of a runner yet, but I plan to start when I’m back on campus, so I need all the help I can get. =)

Page 2 of 3«123»