Lego Wars

Ah, Lego we meet again. It has been way too long.

20100828IMG 1415 thumb   Lego Wars

We just got back from visiting my sister Kerrie, brother-in-law Steve, and my niece and nephew! We had a great time. I couldn’t post last night because I didn’t have an internet connection.

Many a Lego battles were fought…and some beer for thirst quenching.

20100828IMG 1411 thumb   Lego Wars

It’s funny, as a girl who used to LOVE Lego, I don’t ever remember wanting to make it into a battle with ‘good guys’ and ‘bad guys’ and guns and ships. I used to build school houses and homes and airports, which were mainly just places to put my Lego PEOPLE so I could make up stories, names, and long, confusing plots. A place where my Lego mom and dad could make babies and start a family. I was all girly like that.

However, I am proud to say I held my own with this new kind of Lego game. I was kicking butt and chewing bubblegum as Eric says.

20100828IMG 1417 thumb   Lego Wars

Although my sound effects could be drastically improved. It was a bit embarrassing.

Hummus and pita chips were consumed for battleship energy.

20100828IMG 1413 thumb   Lego Wars

Eric is pretty much a Lego champ. I was jealous.

20100828IMG 1416 thumb   Lego Wars

Eric and Steve say hi!

20100828IMG 1418 thumb   Lego Wars

My sister and I forgot to get a picture together in all the excitement of gushing over cooking magazines…!

20100828IMG 1419 thumb   Lego Wars

I enjoyed a couple brewskis over the course of the afternoon. Beer is so refreshing on such a hot summer day!

Shelby is a snuggly cute kitty.

20100828IMG 1434 thumb   Lego Wars

For dinner, Kerrie made the most delicious vegan chili I think I have ever tasted!

20100828IMG 1447 thumb   Lego Wars

Sadly, she did not use a recipe and has no idea what amounts she threw in! Now I know where I get it from. ;)

20100828IMG 1455 thumb   Lego Wars

However, I can tell you her secret ingredient was canned PUMPKIN! I am stealing this idea the next time I make chili. It tasted awesome and you couldn’t detect the pumpkin at all. It is a great way to sneak in another veggie, especially when serving the kids! I had two bowls of it…mmm it was awesome.

Garlic bread with olive oil and spices..

20100828IMG 1456 thumb   Lego Wars

20100828IMG 1457 thumb   Lego Wars

and a salad on the side.

20100828IMG 1458 thumb   Lego Wars

For dessert we enjoyed Ultra Fudgy Brownies!

Eric wanted me to take a picture of his bowl. :)

20100828IMG 1462 thumb   Lego Wars

I had one too just without the ice cream. My nephew couldn’t believe it when we told him there was avocado in it.

After the kids went to bed we turned into crazy party animals and drank some tea.

20100828IMG 1466 thumb   Lego Wars

Kerrie put the clock up so you could see it was only 9:45pm and we were all zonked. We used to have some pretty crazy parties back in the day, but I think we are getting old!

20100828IMG 1468 thumb   Lego Wars

The tea was awesome and of course, no hangover this morning which is always a good thing when a little friend creeps into the room at 6:30am to see if you are ready to play yet. ;)

Eric and I are off to the conservation park to meet up with a couple friends and go hiking! The weather is just gorgeous today. Enjoy the rest of your weekend and I will be back tonight.

Freya (Brit Chick Runs) August 29, 2010

LEGO! Oh you have taken me back lol!! I used to be so jjealous of the boys I knew who got to play with lego..I always wanted some!
Have a great day :)

Caitlin (EatFeats) August 29, 2010

Good call on Eric’s part; his plate looks dee-licious!

Jacquelynn August 29, 2010

I am definitely going to have to try those brownies… I am headed to Whole Foods today, so i’ll have to add those ingredients to my shopping list!

Allison August 29, 2010

i LOVED playing with legos, me and my brother always had it spread all over his bedroom floor. lol

pumpkin in the chili, i will have to rememeber that!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day August 29, 2010

Oooh. You just brought back fond memories of my PINK lego set. And you thought you were girly? :)

Sana August 29, 2010

Hehehe vegan desserts are the bomb! Oh legos, I am pretty sure I just stacked them- not sure about these battles…

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans August 29, 2010

Aww Lego! It reminds me of a camping trip with my family when I was younger. Good times!!

Danielle (Runs on Green) August 29, 2010

I wasn’t much of a Lego fan- I was more of a Lincoln Log girl (anyone remember those??) haha

And I haven’t made chili in *forever*. I bet the pumpkin makes it nice & thick!

Have a great rest of the weekend :)

Morgan @ Healthy Happy Place August 29, 2010

Organic BEER?! never seen it in my life, but I wish I could find some out here!

Stefanie August 29, 2010

It looks like good eats and good company. Enjoy your sunday.

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life August 29, 2010

Looks like you guys had an awesome time!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 29, 2010

That looks like so much fun!! Especially the cooking magazines part… that’s my kind of bbq!!

Ashley August 29, 2010

I’ve got great memories of Legos. When I got chicken pox as a kid my dad bought me the pirate island set and we spent all week putting it together while I made my recovery.

erica August 29, 2010

ah, legos! i was more of a barbie/mylittlepony/gem&theholograms/carebears kinda girl. hahaha. i never knew what to make w/legos. hahahahaha.

and tea at 945…sounds like my kind of night! :)

tweal August 29, 2010

Oh how I adore garlic bread. I could eat the whole bowl – I swear. And I would take that over dessert. Well maybe not…that depends on the day.

Hey! We have that same monkey-head-scratching mug from pier 1, and another similar giraffe mug. It makes tea drinking so much more fun :)

Heather August 29, 2010

i never had legos growin up…but i loved going to play with them at people’s houses!

have fun hiking…i can’t wait til it cools down JUST a little bit and it’s perfect weather all the time :)

Shanna, like Banana August 29, 2010

I am *definitely* going to put canned pumpkin in my next Chili..thanks!

Cute kitty btw =)

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/s August 29, 2010

Last time I was visiting my best friend we were home on a Saturday night drinking tea. We looked at each other like we are so old, when did this happen.

Stacey (The Habit of Healthy) August 29, 2010

I used to absolutely love Lego when I was a kid. Good times!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 29, 2010

I was always more of a Barbie girl than a Lego girl, but I loved making up plots too. :D

I’ve seen a few chili recipes that call for pumpkin and I’ve been wanting to try them!

Kristina @ spabettie August 29, 2010

I add pumpkin to my chili and nobody ever knows! :) I also add cinnamon – that people ask me about… :)

I was just talking about chili today… it’s getting to be that time of year!

Kristy August 29, 2010

First videos with subtitles now star wars legos!?! I think our male partners were a match made in heaven? :-) LOL

CathyK August 29, 2010

i TOTALLY played the same imaginary games with lego! i was all about making houses for lego families, having them go on adventures, renovate their home, go to school…ah, good times!
that’s the best part about playing with my nieces: i get to play dolls, lego, puzzles, do crafts…of course, the excuse is i’m just entertaining the girls!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 29, 2010

Can’t go wrong with an evening full of Legos!! ;) And a bit random..but that ape cup with the arm is so freakin cute. :P

Callie August 29, 2010

I used to LOVE Legos. They made a great house for my huge Barbie collection! :)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is August 29, 2010

I loved legos growing up – we had a ton since I have 2 brothers!

Andrea August 29, 2010

Looks like you had fun- must have been all the lego-playing that tuckered you out early :) Heehee. I was much like you in my lego-playing as a child… especially the over-complicated storylines, hah!

holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 29, 2010

I am an old lady some nights too (ok, most nights) and go to bed pretty early. I totally agree, beer is perfect on a hot summers day!

The garlic bread looked AMAZING, and I’ve heard of canned pumpkin in chili before, not sure where though. I can’t wait for you to try it out to share the recipe :)

Tina August 29, 2010

I’m happy you were able to enjoy your break. :) And I have a feeling the days of Lego wars will come my way soon enough. We just found out on Thursday we are having a boy. :)

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 29, 2010

That’s so great that you were able to sneak in some pumpkin and avocado!

Jessica@tastyandtrim August 29, 2010

I added canned pumpkin to my chili the last time I made it and it was insanely good! The pumpkin gives the chili such a thick, hearty texture. That chili looks delicious!

Michal August 29, 2010

I love lego!!! I still have my K’Nex – did you ever get into those? My Mum took the Legos with her when she retired and moved overseas.
I’m going to try pumpkin in my vegan chili next time I make it. Sounds good!

Kirsty_girl (Cooking in Japan) August 29, 2010

Lego! That takes me back. My dad and I used to buy boxes of it at garage sales and spend hours building stuff. I don’t remember making up stories though. We had so much lego that at one time dad and I were considering buying one of those huge standup tool boxes to store it all. I also had a huge tonka dump truck that I transported stuffed animals (and a few dolls), dirt and lego in. Not so much of a girly girl…

Chelsey August 29, 2010

I’m totally with you on the legos – I built houses and such so my lego people could have families!

That is such a great idea for a secret chili ingredient!! I’m sure it kind of thickened it up too!

ps: i have that monkey cup. I. love. it.

Wei-Wei August 29, 2010

LOL. I did the exact same thing with Lego as you! Cmon, I’m the only girl in my family, so nobody would teach me how to play Lego wars. So I played Lego “build a car and put a guy in it and make him a house”. :D

Wei-Wei August 29, 2010

I meant that there are only girls in my family. I have a sister 8 years older :P

Emily August 29, 2010

Thanks for sharing the pumpkin in the chili idea. I’m always looking for ways to use pumpkin after Halloween. I like to use the whole pumpkin after carving it so I season and bake the seeds while passing out candy, then cut up the pumpkin afterwards, boil, puree and freeze. The only ideas I had last year was pumpkin pie a nd pumpkin soup and I ended up tossing a lot of it. Now I’m excited because I’ve got the V.O.O pumpkin pie for breakfast, the pumpkin pie pudding and now chili! Thank you!

christina cadden August 29, 2010

Looks like a fun time!

Gypsy August 29, 2010

Oooo — pumpkin in chili?!?
Can’t wait for your recipe :)

carri z. August 30, 2010

love this post!!
mostly because my
husb and i met up with
friends at a hollywood bar
on saturday night.
we all left by 9:45.
then we drove down
crazy hollywood blvd listening to
“love songs on the coast”
and i insisited we
blast phil collin’s “groovy kind of love”
on the stereo.
was awesome.
then we stopped for vegan ice cream.

no hangover.

i like getting older ; )

Caitlin September 1, 2010

I made your brownies last night for a friend’s birthday – they are AMAZING! We used brown sugar since it was all we had, and it worked really well! :)

Page 1 of 212»