Oh Bella

20100824IMG 1177 thumb   Oh Bella

I just got finished experimenting for a recipe challenge and those Portabellas are the main event! Beautiful aren’t they? The photography shoot was intense. I will be revealing the recipe challenge on Tuesday August 31st (our wedding anniversary!) so stay tuned for the details. It should be fun!

In other news, my kitchen now looks like a bomb went off.

Thank you for all of your wonderful comments in this morning’s post! It was very inspiring to read your stories.

Lots of Teaopia Chai Mate + Four O’Clock Japanese Sencha was consumed today. Zoom zoom.

20100823IMG 0980 thumb   Oh Bella

I realized I haven’t posted a lunch in a long time. Mid-day is the craziest time for me and my lunches are often over as quick as they begin, so it isn’t the ideal time to whip out a huge camera for a photo shoot. ;) Today, the camera happened to be sitting on the Kitchen table so I decided to snap a couple quick shots!

Today’s lunch featured a chickpea salad made up of 1.5 cups chickpeas, 4 cups mixed greens, 1 tbsp red pepper hummus, 1/2 a green pepper, and my Better than Bottled Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing!

20100823IMG 0986 thumb   Oh Bella

Oh, and freshly ground black pepper of course. It was delish!

20100823IMG 0987 thumb   Oh Bella

Dessert was half of a huge CSA Cantaloupe on its’ last legs (as you can see from the bruises). ;) It was SO juicy and I made a mess like the 7 year old that I am.

20100823IMG 0989 thumb   Oh Bella

This lunch was super quick and easy. Only about 5 minutes to prepare if that!

My afternoon snack was a Heaven Glo Bar. I haven’t had this flavour in a while and I forgot how much I love it! It is filled with big chunks of walnuts, almonds, medjool dates, coconut, carob powder, etc.

20100824IMG 1240 thumb   Oh Bella

Now it is time for another recipe from Saturday night’s Dinner Party for Six!

20100821IMG 0691 thumb   Oh Bella

20100821IMG 0721 thumb1   Oh Bella

20100821IMG 0835 thumb1   Oh Bella

This salad was off the hook, my friends, off the hook.

20100821IMG 0809 thumb1   Oh Bella

Mandarin, Pecan, Almond & Cranberry Spinach Salad

Ingredients:

• 6-8 cups raw spinach, washed and dried
  • 1 small can Mandarin oranges, drained
  • 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
  • 1/4 cup slivered almonds (optional), toasted
  • 1-1.25 cup cherry tomatoes, washed and cut in halves
  • 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • Better than Bottled Balsamic Vinaigrette (I believe I doubled the recipe!)

Directions: Wash and dry spinach and place in a large salad bowl. Chop all tomatoes and nuts and toss into bowl. In a small dish mix the salad dressing. Pour over salad and mix well. Serves 6 as a side dish.

20100821IMG 0808 thumb1   Oh Bella

Everyone raved about it. :)

The rest of the Dinner for Six recipes:

Rest Is Good: Update

I think I successfully averted a COLD by giving my body a couple more rest days! You know when you feel like a cold is coming on, but it hasn’t hit you quite yet? That is how I felt Sunday and Monday. I have not exercised since my long run on Friday. I am feeling much better today (almost 100%), but I figured one more day of rest would bring me back to 100% by tomorrow. I figure 4 days of rest is much better than getting a terrible cold for two weeks straight, right? If there is one thing I have learned with exercise it is that there will always be times in life when things don’t go according to plan and that is OK. All we can do is roll with the punches and do the best we can on any given day.

Well, I have the so not cool job of cleaning up my kitchen bomb.  I would rather be reading or watching the Gossip Girl Teaser over and over. ;) In due time I guess! Goodnight.

Laura (spokesnoats) August 24, 2010

I LOVE eating cantaloup like that!!!

Caroline August 24, 2010

Oh, how I love portabella mushrooms…can’t wait to see what you make.

Rest days, there is nothing like a few of them. I feel so ready to run again after one and I takea week of rest after a long season. Unfortunately, I have heard that when training hard, you need to feel tired most of the time. Then youtaper for the race and feel tons of energy because, for once, you are not tired!

Viviane August 24, 2010

Off the hook, yo! LOL
Love red pepper hummus from Fontaine Santé, I put it on everything!

Have a great evening :)

Bethany @ More Fruit Please August 24, 2010

I like your recipe “cheat sheet”… I do the same! I can’t wait for the mushroom recipe. I never liked mushrooms growing up, and am still struggling finding ways to incorporate them into my meals.

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg August 24, 2010

That salad looks so awesome!! Yum!

I love how detailed your rceipe notes are.

Kristina @ spabettie August 24, 2010

ha! your notes look like mine… I am such a list maker and love to write things down. :)

looking forward to the ‘bella creation!

Lauren @ Eater not a runner August 24, 2010

That salad looks so delicious!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 24, 2010

I love Portabella mushrooms!! They’re so meaty and savory. Mmmm :) And that cantaloupe sounds delicious- I’m definitely the same way with ripe melons..making a total and complete mess. :P Esepcially with water melon!

Amanda @ Sweet and Savory Vegan August 24, 2010

I can’t wait to hear more about the recipe challenge. Here’s hoping the clean up tonight doesn’t take too long. Also, I finished my last Glo bar the other day. I savored every bite of it and nearly shed a tear.

laura (Starloz) August 24, 2010

I’m so pumped for spring & summer, that means i can eat delicious salads like this one today. yessss!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is August 24, 2010

Yum. I wish I lived in your house. I’d never go hungry.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 24, 2010

I love portobello mushrooms, but when I tried making them myself it didn’t turn out very well!

erica August 24, 2010

gotta love portobello mushrooms! so yummy!

can’t wait to see what you made w/it!
ooh. gossip girl. :)

Dorry August 24, 2010

Couldn’t agree more that rest = healthy bod. I need to get back into the 8-hour/night routine! :)

Alice August 24, 2010

Ohhhhh yum!
You know, growing up I always hated mushrooms! I would refuse to eat them and pick them out of anything they were in that was served to me. When I began eating healthy, I tried to make myself like them becasue they are si good for us, but I just couldn’t.
Then one day, I got some in a salad and was so hungry that I ate them – ever since then they have grown on me and I have now learned to love them! Crazy huh?

xx

Betherann August 24, 2010

I am SO GLAD this post is not about Twilight. Bella-mushrooms are so much better than Bella-moony-teenaged-vamp-lovers.

Lauren August 24, 2010

Such a fantastic recipe. I love recipes that are not only delicious but are beautiful too! :)

Liza (Health Nutting) August 24, 2010

That salad looks A-MAZING!!!! I love excited things in my salad and pecans + citrus + dried cranberries= love.

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans August 24, 2010

I think you did the right thing by giving your body extra rest time. You are such a busy lady and sometimes its better not too push too hard and end up really sick for days on end.

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) August 24, 2010

Both salads in this post look delicious!
Chickpeas is one of my favorite ingredients to add to salads – they make everything so hearty and I love the nutty flavor!

Emily August 24, 2010

Fabulous food photos! And yes, that salad recipe looks incredible, must try!

Dani @ Body By Nature August 24, 2010

Girl, your recipes are awesome. I think it’s about time for an e-cookbook!!

Wei-Wei August 24, 2010

Great job on listening to your body! If only I knew that rest was the key to averting a cold… I can’t wait for your mushroom recipe! :D

Sana August 24, 2010

Last week before HLS I felt like I was getting a head cold. I was in the middle of a kickboxing class and I knew sticking around was NOT doing any good for me. I went home and rest for 3 days with lots of green tea, water and vitamin c. And I was good as new! Sometimes we just need to know when to stop!

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 24, 2010

The mushroom shoot looks so pretty and probably was tough to balance.

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat August 24, 2010

I agree with the whole resting BEFORE you get a cold philosophy. I used to be one who’d run myself ragged, and tell myself to keep going at my superwoman pace. I would always take cold medicine, so I just told myself to suck it up. Now, I haven’t gotten a full blown cold in months! If I even feel a twinge of something coming on, I take it easy, tone down my workouts, and drink lots of tea. Just another example of how the natural way is the best way!

holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 24, 2010

Resting can be really hard, but it is so good for your body! I’m glad you avoided a cold.

I love your salad with the dried cranberries — they are my favorite addition to a salad. The whole meals sounds wonderful.

Kath August 24, 2010

OMG………..just watched the preview for GG. OMGGGGGG.

Chelsey August 24, 2010

That salad (both of them) look so good.

I am making your better than balsamic dressing for the first time for this upcoming weekend I’m pumped.

adina August 24, 2010

I always make a mess when attempting to cut and eat Cantaloupe! ha:) but its all worth the yummy mess! I really admire how you treat your body properly by giving it the adequate rest and care it needs! Listening to my body is something I’ve always and continue to have troubles with, however reading your blog and others have really helped me realize it’s okay to give your body the rest it needs!

Have a great night :)

Camille August 24, 2010

Ooh, I’m loving the sound of that Glo Bar! Is it in the online store now?

lea @ healthy coconut August 24, 2010

The heaven glo bar caught my attention. It has all the ingredients I love.

Thru trial and error, I’ve learned when to listen to my body. I listen to when it wants rest and when it’s good to go for a workout.

Mind wants to workout, body says not yet….body wins!!

Danielle August 24, 2010

I love putting fruit on green salads – it’s a nice way to re-invigorate an old classic. The dried cranberries also add a fun twist!

On a side note, I just discovered that a portobello mushroom is actually a matured form of a crimini mushroom :)

Mimi August 24, 2010

That salad looks delish. I love livening up salads with Mandarin Oranges, plus the spinach looks incredibly tender!

Paige @ Running Around Normal August 25, 2010

Oooh, can’t wait to see what you’ve concocted with those bellas!
I completely hear you on the resting while sick deal. Sometimes I’ll do an *easy* run, but I think not over doing it, coupled with extra good nutrtion will stave off a cold!

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life August 25, 2010

I’m glad that cold didn’t catch you! :) Awesome dinner party pics, by the way. I’m going to try that lentil recipe soon.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman August 25, 2010

I feel like I’m the only one, but I dislike mandarin oranges. The rest of that salad looks so good, though!

Jessica August 25, 2010

I adore Gossip Girl! The teaser is fantasic and I absolutely cannot wait until the Premiere! :)

Caitlin @ Right Foot Forward August 25, 2010

That salad looks delicious, thanks for posting the recipe!

faith @ gracefulfitness August 25, 2010

Nice work on skirting that cold. I am always challenged with finding the balance between boosting my immune system through exercise and recognizing when it’s more beneficial to rest. I am getting much better at reading my bodies cues though and less concerned with powering through my workouts no matter what.

Page 1 of 212»