Karyn’s Cooked

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 17, 2010

Hello!

Shortly after my last post, we were off to Karyn’s Cooked for a late lunch! It is located in a different part of Chicago that we had not been to yet so it was a great chance to explore.

20100817-IMG_6852

20100817-IMG_6875

20100817-IMG_6853

If Karyn’s On Green makes vegan food ‘sexy’, Karyn’s Cooked makes vegan food COMFORT food.

We started off with water to wet out whistle…

20100817-IMG_6854

We split the bruschetta and hummus and pita appetizers to start:

20100817-IMG_6849

20100817-IMG_6857

The bruschetta was just ‘ok’. Something tasted a bit off about it…

20100817-IMG_6861

The hummus and pita, however, was incredible and we devoured every last bite.

20100817-IMG_6858

20100817-IMG_6859

The hummus was all kinds of amazing. Garlicky, but not over-powering. Smooth and silky. Just perfect.

20100817-IMG_6860

Eric ordered the ‘Classic Lasagna’ and I ordered the Grilled Veggie Wrap.

20100817-IMG_6851 20100817-IMG_6850

The Grilled veggie wrap came with coleslaw and potato wedges:

20100817-IMG_6862

YUM!

The potato wedges and BBQ sauce were amazing. Same with the slaw!!!

20100817-IMG_6864

The veggie wrap was my favourite part of the meal. It had this lovely basil marinara sauce that was oozing out of the entire wrap.

20100817-IMG_6863

Eric thought the lasagna was really good. He also said he could have done with less tofu in it as he isn’t a huge tofu fan.

20100817-IMG_6865

Somehow it disappeared from the plate! ;)

20100817-IMG_6869

20100817-IMG_6866

After we ate it started to rain on us so we moved inside for….

Dessert.

20100817-IMG_6877

We realized that we have yet to have dessert while in Chicago! The horrors. We knew we had to fix this immediately!

Dear me.

20100817-IMG_6872

Can we have a moment of silence please?

20100817-IMG_6873

We ordered the chocolate brownie a la mode (with vegan icecream). This was pure insanity. I’ve never had a brownie made flat like this, but it was genius. Very soft and chewy. I believe the chocolate glaze had carob in it too so it had a lovely sweetness to it. We fought over enjoyed every last bite!!

20100817-IMG_6879

I was so happy and satisfied after this meal. We just sat there for a while in silence. I patted my stomach and thanked my dress for not having a waistband.

After lunch we headed over to the Signature Lounge (96th floor of the Hancock building). I made a beeline for the woman’s washroom to see the best views of the city!

20100817-IMG_6891

Yup, it’s true.

20100817-IMG_6886

The bathroom has floor to ceiling windows and looks out onto this:

20100817-IMG_6887

Eric went in the men’s washroom and it didn’t have one window! bahaha.

20100817-IMG_6893

Around 5pm we headed back to the hotel room.

Some nibbling on the Coconut Macaroons from Raw ensued.

20100817-IMG_6791

If you are ever in Chicago you must try these coconut macaroons from Raw. I’m so excited to add coconut butter to my macaroon recipe.

We are leaving tomorrow so we are going to pack up our suitcases a bit and head out to a late dinner tonight. See you tomorrow sometime! :)

Cynthia August 17, 2010 at 6:50 pm

That brownie and ice cream looked amazing!! I just did a long run and that’s exactly what I am craving :)

Stefanie August 17, 2010 at 7:00 pm

I think a trip to Chicago is in store for me. It looks like you two are having a lot of food and good food to eat. Enjoy your night! :)

Nicole @ Making Good Choices August 17, 2010 at 7:02 pm

Have a safe trip home! All of this looks so delish!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) August 17, 2010 at 7:02 pm

I just finished an amazing dinner at Karyn’s on Green!! I wish I had room for dessert but I am positively stuffed. ‘Twas definitely sexyyyyyy. Safe flight tomorrow my dear.

Hayley August 17, 2010 at 7:10 pm

That macaroon is gorgeous. Mine are always a lot smaller than that and thus not nearly as impressive-looking!

Wei-Wei August 17, 2010 at 7:13 pm

So much good fooooooooooooooooood. Too much temptationnnnnnnnnnnnn. D:

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is August 17, 2010 at 7:14 pm

I’m truly drooling over your dessert.

Evan Thomas August 17, 2010 at 7:20 pm

I’m so glad we got to experience Karyn’s on Green, but now you have me wishing I went to Karyn’s Cooked! That looks amazing.

christina cadden August 17, 2010 at 7:26 pm

mm, it all looks so good!

Courtney (Delightful Devours) August 17, 2010 at 7:34 pm

OH NO! That brownie looks far too good! I might have to make myself some tonight…

Tina August 17, 2010 at 7:37 pm

That looks like comfort food to me for sure. I love wraps and sides like that. And of course brownies a la mode too. ;)

Run Sarah August 17, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Wow – the food looks amazing, especially that brownie…so decadent!

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life August 17, 2010 at 7:38 pm

Your wrap looks so yummy! What all was in it?

Glad you and your hubby are having a blast in Chicago :)

[email protected]://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 17, 2010 at 7:38 pm

The wrap looks delicious but I don’t know about the lasagna. Love the hummus, looks like it needed more veggies for dipping.

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) August 17, 2010 at 7:39 pm

OMG that macaroon is crazy looking!!! I can’t believe how big it is! haha

Lauren August 17, 2010 at 7:48 pm

You guys always seem to find the BEST Vegan restaurants! I swear there are NONe in Pennsylvania. Shame. :(

Shanna, like Banana August 17, 2010 at 7:50 pm

I’m flying to Chicago in October and do believe I might have to stay an extra day just to try BOTH Karyn’s ;) Thanks so much for sharing!

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life August 17, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Oh my…I don’t know which Karyn’s sounds better? They BOTH look fantastic! I can’t believe the views from that bathroom. I guess I know where I need to go next time I’m in Chicago. ;)

kari August 17, 2010 at 8:06 pm

The views from the ladies bathroom are awesome! the dessert looks amazing;-) i wanted to thank you for sharing your coupon from Amazing Grass, i ordered the big size of the Amazing chocolate infusion. it taste so good. i wanted to ask you if you take vitamins and what brand? Anyway, enjoy your last evening dinner in Chicago and have a safe flight home.

Vanessa August 17, 2010 at 8:14 pm

Glad you got to check out Karyn’s Cooked- my boyfriend and I went there in the fall, and the food was so very good! We also had dessert, but I can’t remember which….

So sad your trip is over without going to The Chicago Diner :o( I was hoping you would get to devour all their deliciousness!

chelsey August 17, 2010 at 8:18 pm

oh me, oh my.. that brownie looks amazing.

You’ve gone to so many delicous restaurantsin the city that I want to try!!!

Jessica @ Rawtumn August 17, 2010 at 8:20 pm

Just caught up on all your Chicago posts. I love that city, I can’t wait to go back! Isn’t it amazing? I’m definitely dragging my friend to both Karyn’s locations next time I visit her up there. The food looks insane. Brownies a la mode is my absolute favorite dessert of all time! <3

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 17, 2010 at 8:27 pm

Those potato wedges reminded me of elementary school- we had those all the time!! Yum! :) All those eats look yum, though :P Especially that brownie a la mode! I’ve never seen a flatened brownie before..but there’s this place around here that makes a “muffinini” and it’s a grilled muffin. It brings out the sugar/condenses it to make it soooo sweet. Good stuff :)

Camille August 17, 2010 at 8:28 pm

Oh my goodness, amazing eats all around!

[email protected] August 17, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Um I didn’t realize how ENORMOUS that macaroon was!! Dang!

erica August 17, 2010 at 8:36 pm

YUM—to all pics! especially that brownie sundae!!!!

Caitlin @ Right Foot Forward August 17, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Woah, those views are incredible! So funny that the men’s bathroom didn’t have any windows. Hopefully Eric can just enjoy the pictures :) Enjoy your last night in Chicago.

Sarah August 17, 2010 at 8:48 pm

1. Gorgeous nail polish!!
2. Gorgeous lunch especially dessert!
3. Gorgeous view of a gorgeous city!!

Have a safe flight/trip back to Canada. Hopefully you have an equally gorgeous dinner tonight :)

Allison @ Girl in her Kitchen August 17, 2010 at 8:50 pm

We had our wedding reception in the Signature Room! It was wonderful! I’m glad you enjoyed your time in Chicago, it’s the best! :)

Paige @ Running Around Normal August 17, 2010 at 8:58 pm

What a day of delicious eats! Karyn’s Cooked sounds fantastic. Oh, that dessert!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine August 17, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Oh my goshhhhh this makes me so bummed I didn’t get a chance to try either of the Karyn’s restaurants!! Everything looks amazing- the wrap, the lasagna, the BROWNIE! Looks like the perfect way to end your trip :)

Callie August 17, 2010 at 9:02 pm

I’m drooling over that dessert! It looks so good. :)
Have a great dinner and safe trip home!

Heather (Heather's Dish) August 17, 2010 at 9:10 pm

that macaroon is the size of your head! holy yum!

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA August 17, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Karyn’s Cooked was my first vegan restaurant ever! My first year of being vegan I lived in Indiana, so there were not a lot of options and no all-vegan restaurants near me. It was SO exciting. A year later I still remember (and will never forget) that I ordered the raw plate, my mom got a Mexican thing (a tamale I think), we got the thai peanut and bbq skewers for an appetizer, and we split a huge piece of carob cake. We weren’t even sure if we liked carob and it was amazing!

Major love for Karyn’s Cooked for evaahhh.

Nicole @ Getting Back to the Basics August 17, 2010 at 9:18 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed Chicago! It is a great city! I was just talking to my friend the other day because she had gone to Karyn’s on Green this past weekend. She said she like it best of the 3 Karyn’s restaurants. Second was Cooked & last place was Raw :(

Diana @ frontyardfoodie August 17, 2010 at 9:31 pm

I love good vegan food because that usually means REALLY good and creatively used veggies.

Julia August 17, 2010 at 9:32 pm

I’m so glad you got to visit two of Karyn’s restaurants while in Chicago! They are really wonderful and she is such a cool woman. Have you seen any pictures of her? She is stunning, and looks 20 years younger than she is – a testament to a healthy, meaningful lifestyle! PS – I used to work near Karyn’s cooked and I seriously could have eaten a dessert from there every day; I didn’t, but I could have ;)

holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 17, 2010 at 9:34 pm

That brownie looks so good — I love brownies in general, but a big flat one looks delicious!

The views from the bathroom are amazing! At least they were smart enough to put in those floor to ceiling windows. Was the rest of the bathroom gorgeous too? :)

Have a safe trip home!

Amy August 17, 2010 at 9:34 pm

THAT MACAROON IS KILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLING ME! :)

The Wife of a Dairyman August 17, 2010 at 9:36 pm

I think it’s great that you and your hubby made a vacation out of your trip to HLS! Great idea and a beautiful looking city to explore:)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) August 17, 2010 at 9:46 pm

This post has my tummy grumbling for all that yummmmmmmmy food!!!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) August 17, 2010 at 9:47 pm

what a wonderfully tasty day you have had!
And those views……..SPLENDID!!!

Crystal August 17, 2010 at 9:52 pm

That brownie looks divine! I recently caved into one of my cravings for cake and nibbled on a couple of Tim Bits.

Those views are just amazing!

Valerie August 17, 2010 at 10:01 pm

i still stand by what I’ve said about the way these places are branded– pure genius : ) I love the look of it & it seems as though the food is just as good, if not better. I am dying for some potato wedges right now, but I would certainly “settle” for one of those chocolate brownies… looks AMAZING. I seriously need to revisit my Illinois roots right now!

Sana August 17, 2010 at 10:01 pm

I am OBSESSED with coconut macaroons!!! They are just toooo good!

Allison August 17, 2010 at 10:10 pm

mens bathroom had NO windows! Baha. At least the ladies get the good view hehe

Chelsea August 17, 2010 at 10:36 pm

That brownie and those macaroons are making me droooool! My bets are on you for recreating them though! I believe in you!

Chelsea

Pure2Raw Twins August 17, 2010 at 10:40 pm

You weren’t kidding, those are HUGE macaroons ;) We love coconut butter too and we use it in our macaroons!! It is amazing stuff!!! Love it

Brownie and ice cream look to die for, LOL

Lana August 17, 2010 at 11:18 pm

I’m drooling on my keyboard as I read this!! lol

[email protected] Miss Locavore August 17, 2010 at 11:55 pm

Yummy yum yummers! Really what more is there to say?

Mimi August 18, 2010 at 12:23 am

Sounds like you guys had a great time in Chicago. There is so much to see, do and eat there!

The grill marks on that wrap make it look all that more delicious. Yummmm. Can I just say I am jealous of every single thing you’ve eaten the past few days?

Marina August 18, 2010 at 2:06 am

What an amazing restaurant! The menu has so much delicious stuff, I wouldn’t know what to order!

[email protected] Broad Bean to Runner Bean August 18, 2010 at 2:36 am

Looks like your having a fab time in chicago! acnt believe that bathroom!

Muva 02 August 18, 2010 at 6:08 am

How does eating this type of diet compare price wise to regular food.( eg potatoes veg and meats) is it expencive to eat out. Here in ireland the healthier you want to eat the more expencive it is. Berries are so pricey, linseed, chia seeds are all 6 – 8 euros per pack, small jar of coconut oil cold pressed is 6 euro. Just a quick question your bars look delicious do you deliver to Ireland? I would be soooo interested in getting them for myself and what is there shelf life?
Thanks for the inspiration you seem like such a sweet heart xx

Kelly August 18, 2010 at 7:15 am

I usually think of really heavy, greasy, unhealthy food when I think of Chicago, but you’ve found some really yummy and healthy looking spots! I really need to try some of these places! :)

Halley @ Blunder Construction August 18, 2010 at 7:20 am

I have never been so appetized by the sight of hummus and pita at this hour in the morning (8:20AM!!)… beautiful pictures!

Stay At Home Mom August 18, 2010 at 7:26 am

The vegetable wrap looks delicious, and I happen to love hummus too. That ladies room must have the best view ever! Such great pictures.

Lindsay August 18, 2010 at 7:41 am

After reading about all your yummy eats this week I think I need to book another trip to Chicago NOW! :) That brownie…nom nom nom!! lol

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman August 18, 2010 at 7:52 am

Those coconut macaroons are such a tease. I wish Raw shipped across the country because I’ve been craving one since HLS when every blogger posted on them. Teases, you all are! :)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 18, 2010 at 8:13 am

Floor to ceiling windows in a men’s washroom would be awkward since they have urinals in them. At least women are shielded from view by the stalls.

Laura August 18, 2010 at 8:34 am

Karyn’s Cooked was just that, huh? Yikes! Concious cooking? Who would toasted bread that dark? Maybe she’s not aware of acrylamides!! Perhaps that is why you found the bruschetta a little off-putting…too dark!

Andrea @ Thin Thighs & Sweet Potato Fries August 18, 2010 at 8:51 am

Mmmm! I just want to take that hummus right off the page!!:D You know in all the years I loved right next door to Chicago (which was most of my life; I’m an Illinois native) I’ve never visited any of the places I’m learning about from everyone’s HLS experiences. Sad. :( On the bright side, I guess I have some new things to add to my ‘to-do’ list next time I go home!

Tania August 18, 2010 at 8:58 am

YUM!!!!! That meal looks amazing!!! I especially wish I could try that brownie.

Have you seen the office episode where all the guys are wanting to go in the woman’s bathroom and hang out because they heard there was a couch and some other fun stuff in it? LOL. Its good they gave the women the better view- something to stare at while you are waiting in line!! :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 18, 2010 at 9:14 am

The 2 Karyn’s restaurants look so good – what a cool concept! And your brownie…. I’m speechless! I think I need to do a food tour of Chicago. Your posts as of late would make a great travel brochure lol! Have a safe flight back! :)

Andrew Lowry August 18, 2010 at 9:39 am

Great write-up. Great pictures.

I hope no one had a problem with you taking pictures from the Ladies’ room. Most unfair that us Gents get short changed in the loo. Again enjoy your blog and the great pictures.

Steph August 18, 2010 at 9:44 am

what an awesome view! the brownie doesn’t look too bad either :)

Amber K August 18, 2010 at 10:30 am

That dessert is epic! I wish I had a restaurant like that close to me!

Sara August 18, 2010 at 10:54 am

Oh yay I’m glad you got to go there! :)

Stacey @ The Habit of Healthy August 18, 2010 at 11:54 am

The food you had looks out of this world delicious. Especially that browine!!

Doc August 18, 2010 at 12:23 pm

Angela, I’m a fairly new reader of your blog and I think you are so cute and your blog is so fun to read! Also, those macaroons you keep shoving in our faces *I kid, I kid!* look amazing and I plan to get right back to making vegan macaroons when I get done travelling this week! You’ve given me such a craving!

Jean August 18, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Your beautiful photos make me want to go to Chicago and try all these restaurants.

And that macaroon is SO big! Looks delicious.

Tracey August 18, 2010 at 3:53 pm

I love the Signature Lounge and think it’s so funny that the men’s room doesn’t have any windows…hahaha! We went there at night and it was absolutely gorgeous to look out over the city. There was even a firework show that we got to see. I love that city!! Glad you had a good time!

[email protected] August 18, 2010 at 5:35 pm

That brownie a la mode looks amazing!! Great pictures of the city :)

Erin @ A Girl & Her Mutt August 18, 2010 at 7:21 pm

I so wish I had gone to Karyn’s! The food looks amazing! I look forward to macaroons at the next conference!