Karyn’s Cooked

Hello!

Shortly after my last post, we were off to Karyn’s Cooked for a late lunch! It is located in a different part of Chicago that we had not been to yet so it was a great chance to explore.

20100817IMG 6852 thumb   Karyn’s Cooked

20100817IMG 6875 thumb   Karyn’s Cooked

20100817IMG 6853 thumb   Karyn’s Cooked

If Karyn’s On Green makes vegan food ‘sexy’, Karyn’s Cooked makes vegan food COMFORT food.

We started off with water to wet out whistle…

20100817IMG 6854 thumb   Karyn’s Cooked

We split the bruschetta and hummus and pita appetizers to start:

20100817IMG 6849 thumb   Karyn’s Cooked

20100817IMG 6857 thumb   Karyn’s Cooked

The bruschetta was just ‘ok’. Something tasted a bit off about it…

20100817IMG 6861 thumb   Karyn’s Cooked

The hummus and pita, however, was incredible and we devoured every last bite.

20100817IMG 6858 thumb   Karyn’s Cooked

20100817IMG 6859 thumb   Karyn’s Cooked

The hummus was all kinds of amazing. Garlicky, but not over-powering. Smooth and silky. Just perfect.

20100817IMG 6860 thumb   Karyn’s Cooked

Eric ordered the ‘Classic Lasagna’ and I ordered the Grilled Veggie Wrap.

20100817IMG 6851 thumb   Karyn’s Cooked 20100817IMG 6850 thumb   Karyn’s Cooked

The Grilled veggie wrap came with coleslaw and potato wedges:

20100817IMG 6862 thumb   Karyn’s Cooked

YUM!

The potato wedges and BBQ sauce were amazing. Same with the slaw!!!

20100817IMG 6864 thumb   Karyn’s Cooked

The veggie wrap was my favourite part of the meal. It had this lovely basil marinara sauce that was oozing out of the entire wrap.

20100817IMG 6863 thumb   Karyn’s Cooked

Eric thought the lasagna was really good. He also said he could have done with less tofu in it as he isn’t a huge tofu fan.

20100817IMG 6865 thumb   Karyn’s Cooked

Somehow it disappeared from the plate! ;)

20100817IMG 6869 thumb   Karyn’s Cooked

20100817IMG 6866 thumb   Karyn’s Cooked

After we ate it started to rain on us so we moved inside for….

Dessert.

20100817IMG 6877 thumb   Karyn’s Cooked

We realized that we have yet to have dessert while in Chicago! The horrors. We knew we had to fix this immediately!

Dear me.

20100817IMG 6872 thumb   Karyn’s Cooked

Can we have a moment of silence please?

20100817IMG 6873 thumb   Karyn’s Cooked

We ordered the chocolate brownie a la mode (with vegan icecream). This was pure insanity. I’ve never had a brownie made flat like this, but it was genius. Very soft and chewy. I believe the chocolate glaze had carob in it too so it had a lovely sweetness to it. We fought over enjoyed every last bite!!

20100817IMG 6879 thumb   Karyn’s Cooked

I was so happy and satisfied after this meal. We just sat there for a while in silence. I patted my stomach and thanked my dress for not having a waistband.

After lunch we headed over to the Signature Lounge (96th floor of the Hancock building). I made a beeline for the woman’s washroom to see the best views of the city!

20100817IMG 6891 thumb   Karyn’s Cooked

Yup, it’s true.

20100817IMG 6886 thumb   Karyn’s Cooked

The bathroom has floor to ceiling windows and looks out onto this:

20100817IMG 6887 thumb   Karyn’s Cooked

Eric went in the men’s washroom and it didn’t have one window! bahaha.

20100817IMG 6893 thumb   Karyn’s Cooked

Around 5pm we headed back to the hotel room.

Some nibbling on the Coconut Macaroons from Raw ensued.

20100817IMG 6791 thumb   Karyn’s Cooked

If you are ever in Chicago you must try these coconut macaroons from Raw. I’m so excited to add coconut butter to my macaroon recipe.

We are leaving tomorrow so we are going to pack up our suitcases a bit and head out to a late dinner tonight. See you tomorrow sometime! :)

Cynthia August 17, 2010

That brownie and ice cream looked amazing!! I just did a long run and that’s exactly what I am craving :)

Stefanie August 17, 2010

I think a trip to Chicago is in store for me. It looks like you two are having a lot of food and good food to eat. Enjoy your night! :)

Nicole @ Making Good Choices August 17, 2010

Have a safe trip home! All of this looks so delish!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) August 17, 2010

I just finished an amazing dinner at Karyn’s on Green!! I wish I had room for dessert but I am positively stuffed. ‘Twas definitely sexyyyyyy. Safe flight tomorrow my dear.

Hayley August 17, 2010

That macaroon is gorgeous. Mine are always a lot smaller than that and thus not nearly as impressive-looking!

Wei-Wei August 17, 2010

So much good fooooooooooooooooood. Too much temptationnnnnnnnnnnnn. D:

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is August 17, 2010

I’m truly drooling over your dessert.

Evan Thomas August 17, 2010

I’m so glad we got to experience Karyn’s on Green, but now you have me wishing I went to Karyn’s Cooked! That looks amazing.

christina cadden August 17, 2010

mm, it all looks so good!

Courtney (Delightful Devours) August 17, 2010

OH NO! That brownie looks far too good! I might have to make myself some tonight…

Tina August 17, 2010

That looks like comfort food to me for sure. I love wraps and sides like that. And of course brownies a la mode too. ;)

Run Sarah August 17, 2010

Wow – the food looks amazing, especially that brownie…so decadent!

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life August 17, 2010

Your wrap looks so yummy! What all was in it?

Glad you and your hubby are having a blast in Chicago :)

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 17, 2010

The wrap looks delicious but I don’t know about the lasagna. Love the hummus, looks like it needed more veggies for dipping.

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) August 17, 2010

OMG that macaroon is crazy looking!!! I can’t believe how big it is! haha

Lauren August 17, 2010

You guys always seem to find the BEST Vegan restaurants! I swear there are NONe in Pennsylvania. Shame. :(

Shanna, like Banana August 17, 2010

I’m flying to Chicago in October and do believe I might have to stay an extra day just to try BOTH Karyn’s ;) Thanks so much for sharing!

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life August 17, 2010

Oh my…I don’t know which Karyn’s sounds better? They BOTH look fantastic! I can’t believe the views from that bathroom. I guess I know where I need to go next time I’m in Chicago. ;)

kari August 17, 2010

The views from the ladies bathroom are awesome! the dessert looks amazing;-) i wanted to thank you for sharing your coupon from Amazing Grass, i ordered the big size of the Amazing chocolate infusion. it taste so good. i wanted to ask you if you take vitamins and what brand? Anyway, enjoy your last evening dinner in Chicago and have a safe flight home.

Vanessa August 17, 2010

Glad you got to check out Karyn’s Cooked- my boyfriend and I went there in the fall, and the food was so very good! We also had dessert, but I can’t remember which….

So sad your trip is over without going to The Chicago Diner :o( I was hoping you would get to devour all their deliciousness!

chelsey August 17, 2010

oh me, oh my.. that brownie looks amazing.

You’ve gone to so many delicous restaurantsin the city that I want to try!!!

Jessica @ Rawtumn August 17, 2010

Just caught up on all your Chicago posts. I love that city, I can’t wait to go back! Isn’t it amazing? I’m definitely dragging my friend to both Karyn’s locations next time I visit her up there. The food looks insane. Brownies a la mode is my absolute favorite dessert of all time! <3

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 17, 2010

Those potato wedges reminded me of elementary school- we had those all the time!! Yum! :) All those eats look yum, though :P Especially that brownie a la mode! I’ve never seen a flatened brownie before..but there’s this place around here that makes a “muffinini” and it’s a grilled muffin. It brings out the sugar/condenses it to make it soooo sweet. Good stuff :)

Camille August 17, 2010

Oh my goodness, amazing eats all around!

Annie@stronghealthyfit August 17, 2010

Um I didn’t realize how ENORMOUS that macaroon was!! Dang!

erica August 17, 2010

YUM—to all pics! especially that brownie sundae!!!!

Caitlin @ Right Foot Forward August 17, 2010

Woah, those views are incredible! So funny that the men’s bathroom didn’t have any windows. Hopefully Eric can just enjoy the pictures :) Enjoy your last night in Chicago.

Sarah August 17, 2010

1. Gorgeous nail polish!!
2. Gorgeous lunch especially dessert!
3. Gorgeous view of a gorgeous city!!

Have a safe flight/trip back to Canada. Hopefully you have an equally gorgeous dinner tonight :)

Allison @ Girl in her Kitchen August 17, 2010

We had our wedding reception in the Signature Room! It was wonderful! I’m glad you enjoyed your time in Chicago, it’s the best! :)

Paige @ Running Around Normal August 17, 2010

What a day of delicious eats! Karyn’s Cooked sounds fantastic. Oh, that dessert!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine August 17, 2010

Oh my goshhhhh this makes me so bummed I didn’t get a chance to try either of the Karyn’s restaurants!! Everything looks amazing- the wrap, the lasagna, the BROWNIE! Looks like the perfect way to end your trip :)

Callie August 17, 2010

I’m drooling over that dessert! It looks so good. :)
Have a great dinner and safe trip home!

Heather (Heather's Dish) August 17, 2010

that macaroon is the size of your head! holy yum!

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA August 17, 2010

Karyn’s Cooked was my first vegan restaurant ever! My first year of being vegan I lived in Indiana, so there were not a lot of options and no all-vegan restaurants near me. It was SO exciting. A year later I still remember (and will never forget) that I ordered the raw plate, my mom got a Mexican thing (a tamale I think), we got the thai peanut and bbq skewers for an appetizer, and we split a huge piece of carob cake. We weren’t even sure if we liked carob and it was amazing!

Major love for Karyn’s Cooked for evaahhh.

Nicole @ Getting Back to the Basics August 17, 2010

I’m glad you enjoyed Chicago! It is a great city! I was just talking to my friend the other day because she had gone to Karyn’s on Green this past weekend. She said she like it best of the 3 Karyn’s restaurants. Second was Cooked & last place was Raw :(

Diana @ frontyardfoodie August 17, 2010

I love good vegan food because that usually means REALLY good and creatively used veggies.

Julia August 17, 2010

I’m so glad you got to visit two of Karyn’s restaurants while in Chicago! They are really wonderful and she is such a cool woman. Have you seen any pictures of her? She is stunning, and looks 20 years younger than she is – a testament to a healthy, meaningful lifestyle! PS – I used to work near Karyn’s cooked and I seriously could have eaten a dessert from there every day; I didn’t, but I could have ;)

holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 17, 2010

That brownie looks so good — I love brownies in general, but a big flat one looks delicious!

The views from the bathroom are amazing! At least they were smart enough to put in those floor to ceiling windows. Was the rest of the bathroom gorgeous too? :)

Have a safe trip home!

Amy August 17, 2010

THAT MACAROON IS KILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLING ME! :)

The Wife of a Dairyman August 17, 2010

I think it’s great that you and your hubby made a vacation out of your trip to HLS! Great idea and a beautiful looking city to explore:)

Page 1 of 212»