Argo Cafe

Greetings!

First up, I have some leftover coupons for Amazing Grass to share with you! If you use the code HLS10 you will receive 25% off your entire order of Amazing Grass Products!!! The offer is only good while quantities last and expires at the end of August. For those of you who were asking, my favourite Amazing Grass products are the Chocolate Superfood and Chocolate Amazing Meal Powders. Yum. :)

Yesterday Eric and I were exploring the city of Chicago for 11 hours and we got home late once again. We are having such a blast here. There are lots of things for tourists to do.

We had lunch at the Corner Bakery Cafe:

20100815IMG 6444 thumb   Argo Cafe

I had the Asian salad with edamame. It was quite good!

20100815IMG 6415 thumb   Argo Cafe

20100815IMG 6417 thumb   Argo Cafe

Along with an iced Mighty Leaf Bombay Chai tea.

20100815IMG 6420 thumb   Argo Cafe

After lunch, we hit the road to explore the city! No plans, no commitments, no schedules. Just good times. When we travel we prefer to do things by the seat of our pants and explore by foot. We made our way to the Water and Air show and it was packed!

Beach:

20100815IMG 6431 thumb   Argo Cafe

There were thousands of people all over the lakeshore area for the air show.

I saw Vince Vaughn in a parachute (or so I hear!) ;)

20100812IMG 0006 thumb   Argo Cafe

We each had a Run Glo Bar for fuel:

20100815IMG 6432 thumb   Argo Cafe

After that we were off to explore more of the city.

20100815IMG 6443 thumb   Argo Cafe

20100815IMG 6450 thumb   Argo Cafe 20100815IMG 6436 thumb   Argo Cafe

20100815IMG 6441 thumb   Argo Cafe 20100815IMG 6442 thumb   Argo Cafe

20100815IMG 6446 thumb   Argo Cafe

Then it was time for lunch #2 at Argo Cafe!

20100815IMG 6465 thumb   Argo Cafe

I enjoyed the Garden Lentil salad and Eric had the Chicken Panini.

20100815IMG 6468 thumb   Argo Cafe

The lentil salad was delish!!!

20100815IMG 6467 thumb   Argo Cafe

I want to try to recreate this at home. :)

20100815IMG 6472 thumb   Argo Cafe

I also had the Sangria Tea which was awesome and had chunks of fruit in it!

20100815IMG 6464 thumb   Argo Cafe

After lunch #2, we decided to go to the skydeck to see views of the city.

20100815IMG 6485 thumb   Argo Cafe

20100815IMG 6483 thumb   Argo Cafe

20100815IMG 6484 thumb   Argo Cafe

When we got to the Skydeck we were herded like cattle for about 1 hour and 45 minutes! It was busy, busy, busy. Had we known it would eat up so much time we wouldn’t have gone.

Elevator shot:

20100815IMG 6516 thumb   Argo Cafe

Finally after about 1 hour 20 minutes we got to the top. The views were great.

20100815IMG 6490 thumb   Argo Cafe

We couldn’t get over how flat Chicago is. It sure has made my runs a lot easier this week.

20100815IMG 6496 thumb   Argo Cafe

Oh, damn he glows! ;)

20100815IMG 6502 thumb   Argo Cafe

Photographer fail. ;)

Glass floor:

20100815IMG 6505 thumb   Argo Cafe

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

20100815IMG 6511 thumb   Argo Cafe

Eric said he wanted to get a deep dish pizza while we were here so we headed to Pizza Unos. The wait was about 1-1.5 hours, so we decided to go back during the week when it would be less busy. We decided on California Pizza Kitchen for our immediate pizza fix.

I asked the server if it was possible to have a fully vegan pizza and he said no because the crust had egg in it. Then he said he would ask the chef and the chef came up with a solution for a vegan pizza!

Apparently their thin crust doesn’t have egg, but their regular crust does, so thin crust it was. I wanted thin crust anyways!

20100815IMG 6520 thumb   Argo Cafe

I asked them to pile on the veggies and use extra sauce. I was so impressed. I ate approximately 89.5% of the pizza. ;) I also had a beer that I drank much too fast and concluded I was dehydrated!

Eric got his love- the BBQ chicken:

20100815IMG 6522 thumb   Argo Cafe

Happy customers.

After dinner, we walked over to Navy Pier for the evening architecture cruise.

It was so gorgeous at night and so relaxing!

20100815IMG 6591 thumb   Argo Cafe

We both got a beer. :)

20100815IMG 6549 thumb   Argo Cafe

Fun pictures ensued. It was also fun learning about the history of all the buildings and the city itself.

20100815IMG 6553 thumb   Argo Cafe

20100815IMG 6582 thumb   Argo Cafe

20100815IMG 6595 thumb   Argo Cafe

20100815IMG 6523 thumb   Argo Cafe

20100815IMG 6528 thumb   Argo Cafe

20100815IMG 6530 thumb   Argo Cafe

We figure we walked a good 8-10 miles yesterday alone. We finally got home around 11:45pm and crashed on the bed. :) We are about to head out for another fun day. I will most likely post tonight, so I will see you then! Have a great start to your week.

tanyas daily August 16, 2010

you got to see a lot in one day!

Kisty@ KristyRuns.com August 16, 2010

Good call on taking the architecture cruise at night…gorgeous! :) Can I please move to Chicago?

Jessica @ How Sweet August 16, 2010

I am so afraid of heights so looking at those pictures gives me butterflies!

Heather (Heather's Dish) August 16, 2010

y’alls photos are gorgeous! that glass-bottomed elevator would FREAK me out!

Christina August 16, 2010

I’m sure I’ve already commented about how much I love Chicago, but it’s really one of my fave cities so I’m loving all the photos. I need to take a boat cruise next time I’m there. Have fun!

Kim August 16, 2010

The more I see of Chicago the more I really want to go there! Fantastic pictures!

Also, that Asian salad from your first lunch? Yum!!

Hayley August 16, 2010

That pizza looks fantastic! I <3 California Pizza Kitchen:) Looks like you're having a blast, enjoy the rest of your vacation!

Meredith August 16, 2010

I’m loving these Chicago posts! I spent a week in chicago last summer for a conference. It’s such a beautiful city!

Diana August 16, 2010

So glad I got to run into you one last time at Corner Bakery! Looks like you guys had fun the rest of the day! :)

Lindsay August 16, 2010

Oh dear me, if Eric wanted real Chicago deep dish, you should have gone to Gino’s East…amazing!!!!! Just amazing! Looks like you guys are having a blast, though!

amie August 16, 2010

eric’s pizza looks amazing!! yummm. i love the view from the skydeck, my favorite part of any big city is finding the highest point to see the view, when you’re in Paris you HAVE to go up Notre Dame, it has the most incredible view of the city including the Eiffel tower! the wait (and 10 euros) is totally worth it!

i have a question for you about beer. i know a lot of vegans dont drink beer because of the yeast and because it’s often filtered through animal byproducts or have honey in it. do you look for vegan beers on the menus? or know of specific vegan beers? i’d love to know what you think of this and if you have any reviews for good vegan drinks!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 16, 2010

Gorgeous pictures Angela!

What did your man do while you were at the HLS?

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman August 16, 2010

Looks so fun! I had no idea Chicago had a “beach.” Go figure.

Molly August 16, 2010

Next time I go to a pizzaria I will remember to ask for a vegan crust! Do you have any at-home vegan pizza recipes? I am not a vegan but mostly vegetarian for ethical reasons. I love cooking vegan food though!

amie August 16, 2010

i just did some googling about the beer question and found this great website! http://www.veganvanguard.com/vegism/beer.html#b
it has a massive list of breweries and lists them as vegan or otherwise and why. AND it also tells you of any green practices of the breweries, like sending used grain to farmers to use as feed. very cool!

Camille August 16, 2010

What an all-around fantastic day! That glass floor is freaking me out!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 16, 2010

Chicago’s scenery looks so gorgeous! I’d like to go there just to look at buildings and eat hahahha! Eric’s pizza is giving me some massive pizza cravings right now. Yummm! :)

Callie August 16, 2010

Sounds like so much fun! :)
I’m afraid of heights. That glass floor would freak me out.

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies August 16, 2010

Ahhh – I give you sooo much props for standing on the glass floor…I would have been smiling (in photos) but freaking out and hyperventilating otherwise. Gorgeous views though! Those pizzas look incredible! I’m a thin crust girl (and I must admit a BBQ chicken pizza fiend).

Wei-Wei August 16, 2010

Was your architecture tour the same one as Caitlin’s? You sure saw a lot in one day ;) Efficient tourism is key! Any tips? :D Just in time for your Paris trip, too!

Wei-Wei

Sabina August 16, 2010

Hi Angela!

What a busy day! You and Eric take the same approach as my husband and I with exploring cities: just go! Don’t make plans! See where your feet and transit take you. :-)

It’s so awesome to read that restaurants accommodate your dietary needs and that their accommodation works out well!

Definitely try to recreate that salad. Make sure you use green or brown lentils (red lentils lose their shape really quickly during the cooking process and are better suited for soups, daal, and stews). Fresh salads are super easy to make and the possibilities are endless (I made a black bean, wheatberry, yellow summer squash, fresh cilantro, cherry tomato, red pepper salad with lemon zest, lemon juice, avocado oil, agave nectar and ancho chili powder dressing last night).

Gail August 16, 2010

Again, I’m missing Chicago. My sister used to live there and I’d go visit her. It’s such a great city, so much to see and do and eat! I was in Chicago one year during that Air Show, and my sister took me to the restaurant at the top of the John Hancock building and we got to eat and watch the show from up there – it was amazing! There’s so many great bakeries and eateries there, I’m jealous! There’s also so many museums to see – the Art Museum, the Science Museum (although there’s some exhibits there that made me a little queesy that had to do with human cadavers – yuck!). Have fun!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day August 16, 2010

Beautiful shots! I swear, Chicago needs to start paying HLS bloggers for marketing their city so well – I would head there in a heartbeat just based on the lovely photos you take!

Glad you are having fun and can’t wait to see more!

Shanna, Like Banana August 16, 2010

Well done Angela — you caputred some of the best parts of Chicago :)

Please make sure Eric gets his deep dish — it’s a quintessential part of the Chicago experience! Take him to Giordano’s :)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg August 16, 2010

Ahh, last time I was in Chicago, we had drinks at the bar at the top of the John Hancock building– such a great view!!! I love Chicago in the summertime :-)

lindsay August 16, 2010

I love CHicago. SO funt o explore! That glass floor freaks me out though. Your brave! Enjoy the rest of your time with the hubs.

Shannon August 16, 2010

I want to go to Chicago so badly!! It looks amazing!!!

kelly August 16, 2010

Yay! I’m loving the Chicago recaps :) I’m glad you got to see the Air & Water show! That was a staple event that we attended every summer growing up. Oh and that really lonnng building that you posted is where I used to go to art school! :)

I’d suggest Lou Malnatis for Deep Dish over Unos :)

holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 16, 2010

That glass floor is terrifying! I couodn’t do that. No way!

Your pizzas looked fabulous. I love veggie thin crust, but who could say no to bbq chicken?

What a fun little vacation! :)

faith @ gracefulfitness August 16, 2010

I did the same thing with a beer yesterday. I had just finished a run on the beach and guzzled half a beer before realizing I really needed water (I don’t normally follow a run quite so closely by beer but at the beach it just seemed so right!).
That lentil tabouli sounds awesome, I’m going to try that as well. I really like lemon in grain/legume salads but usually forget to add it.

Kayla August 16, 2010

Fabulous photos! You make me want to visit Chicago so bad! It looks absolutely beautiful there!

Argo Cafe looks awesome! I wish they had one here in Florida!

Lauren @ Eat, Drink, and Be Hopeful August 16, 2010

Your pizza looks awesome! I love pizzas piled with veggies! My boyfriends favorite pizza is BBQ too! How funny. Looks like an amazing day. I’ve been wanting to go to Chicago for a while and your post made me want to go even more!

Ashley August 16, 2010

Wow!! I have always wanted to do the boat tour and never knew they ran it at night. Looks amazing! I’m so glad you guys are having fun :)

Kristina August 16, 2010

Oh…..homesick over here ;)

If Eric wants the best pizza in town I recommen Lou Malnatis. Its super crazy good. I have even had it shipped out to Las Vegas it is THAT GOOD.

Enjoy that beautiful city!

Nicole @ Geek Turned Athlete August 16, 2010

I always forget to ask if the chef can do something for me that is gluten free if it isn’t on the menu! Thank you for reminding me of that!

I try to order as vegan as I possibly can when I eat out, but it is often impossible since so many things have gluten in it except for meat or an iceberg lettuce salad with a tomato on top! I will definitely see if places can whip stuff up in the back for me.

P.S. Your outfit is so cute!!

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) August 16, 2010

I love all of your pictures. I miss Chicago. I’ve only been once and it wasn’t long enough. I need to go back. Especially to try some of the places you’ve posted about. That sangria tea is intriguing!

Tracey August 16, 2010

The architecture tour is fantastic and a great way to learn about the city. Your night pictures are amazing. If you don’t mind sharing, what lense and what settings did you use to take those photos?

If you are ever back in the city you should check out the Hancock observatory. I think it has better views than the Sears tower and if I remember correctly the lines are shorter.

Tina August 16, 2010

I’m falling so in love with Chicago just through the pictures and all the recaps. The river, the architecture, the food, EVERYTHING! Must. Go!

Kristina August 16, 2010

thanks for sharing the AG coupon… I just bought 3 each of my two favorite products – the new vanilla chai and the lemon lime… that lemon lime is DAAAANG good!!) and I saved $50 !! WOOT.

I could NOT stand on that glass floor. *GULP*.

Elli @ 16 and Losing It August 16, 2010

Looks like you are having an awesome time! SO many beautiful pictures! That sky deck would freak me out. Glass floors! I know that its safe and everything but I just don’t know if I could do it!

Page 1 of 212»