Deep Eats

Good evening!

We grabbed our breakfast on the go this morning and each enjoyed a Liberate Glo Bar:

20100816IMG 6702 thumb   Deep Eats

I had an iced green tea and Eric a juice box (hehe!!) from Starbucks:

20100816IMG 6705 thumb   Deep Eats

From a can of Coke to Organic Apple Juice Boxes. My heart swoons for him.

20100816IMG 6703 thumb   Deep Eats

And then we headed to brunch at the French Market:

20100816IMG 6611 thumb   Deep Eats

The French Market is filled with tons of restaurant + pastry vendors and fruit and vegetable stands! Very cool. I made a beeline for a restaurant called Raw that I have heard so much about from friends who went last week.

20100816IMG 6622 thumb   Deep Eats

I had the Falafel Patties Sandwich on Onion Flatbread:

20100816IMG 6616 thumb   Deep Eats

It was really good. The bread was a bit hard/tough for my liking, but still quite tasty. I ate about 3/4 of it.

20100816IMG 6619 thumb   Deep Eats

With cucumber + tomato salad that was very good!

20100816IMG 6617 thumb   Deep Eats

20100816IMG 6621 thumb   Deep Eats

Of course when I saw these crazy big macaroons I HAD to try them!!!

20100816IMG 6624 thumb   Deep Eats

Oh dear me. I have to tell you these were out of this world. Just in case you can’t tell they are the size of golf balls!!!! I think I need to add coconut butter to my macaroon recipe because it made these really stand out. I can’t wait to try it myself.

Raw chocolate I am saving for later… ;)

20100816IMG 6625 thumb   Deep Eats

I also had a Kale, Parsley, carrot, and beet juice from a Juice Bar in the market:

20100816IMG 6626 thumb   Deep Eats

Parsley in juices is delish!

Eric had some kind of Mexican wrap from another restaurant.

Then we decided to head to the Art Institute of Chicago!

20100816IMG 6630 thumb   Deep Eats 20100816IMG 6633 thumb   Deep Eats

We’re here!

20100816IMG 6654 thumb   Deep Eats

It was a really great exhibit- 3 huge levels.

20100816IMG 6682 thumb   Deep Eats

Crazy dish ladies from the 1790’s!!!!! ;)

20100816IMG 6662 thumb   Deep Eats

20100816IMG 6663 thumb   Deep Eats

20100816IMG 6675 thumb   Deep Eats

20100816IMG 6676 thumb   Deep Eats

20100816IMG 6678 thumb   Deep Eats  20100816IMG 6683 thumb   Deep Eats

20100816IMG 6686 thumb   Deep Eats

20100816IMG 6688 thumb   Deep Eats

20100816IMG 6689 thumb   Deep Eats

20100816IMG 6692 thumb   Deep Eats 20100816IMG 6693 thumb   Deep Eats

20100816IMG 0337 thumb   Deep Eats

20100816IMG 0338 thumb   Deep Eats

We were inspired to take more photography after the art exhibit!

20100816IMG 0352 thumb   Deep Eats

20100816IMG 0354 thumb   Deep Eats

20100816IMG 6723 thumb   Deep Eats

hehehe ;)

20100816IMG 6720 thumb   Deep Eats

Nice shot Eric!

20100816IMG 03492 thumb   Deep Eats

20100816IMG 6716 thumb   Deep Eats

20100816IMG 6721 thumb   Deep Eats

20100816IMG 6724 thumb   Deep Eats

This bunny was SO brave!!!!! He almost ate grass out of my hand. :)

20100816IMG 6730 thumb   Deep Eats

Graffiti

20100815IMG 6425 thumb   Deep Eats

20100816IMG 6607 thumb   Deep Eats

20100816IMG 0324 thumb   Deep Eats

20100816IMG 0325 thumb   Deep Eats

20100816IMG 6700 thumb   Deep Eats

Afternoon snack:

20100816IMG 6642 thumb   Deep Eats

20100816IMG 6644 thumb   Deep Eats

I tried a bite of the Raw macaroon…awesome.

20100816IMG 6647 thumb   Deep Eats

Eric had a Glo Bar:

20100816IMG 6650 thumb   Deep Eats

20100816IMG 6651 thumb   Deep Eats

We went for dinner to Pizzeria Due for some of Chicago’s famous Deep Dish Zaaaaaah’s.

I started with a salad:

20100816IMG 6707 thumb   Deep Eats

I got the vegan pizza with extra sauce and tomatoes.

20100816IMG 6714 thumb   Deep Eats

This is an individual serving:

20100816IMG 6710 thumb   Deep Eats

Eric had ‘small’ tomato, pepperoni, and easy on the cheese pizza:

20100816IMG 6711 thumb   Deep Eats

We really wanted to love deep dish pizza, but I’m afraid that it wasn’t our favourite. This deep dish crust tasted like a crisp, bland, and super thick pie crust. I prefer thin crust and Eric prefers it much more ‘doughy’ ;) Now we can say we tried it though!

20100816IMG 0361 thumb   Deep Eats

We did some more walking in some shops and then headed back to the hotel around 9pm. We are debating going to the Signature Lounge for a drink, but I’m not sure we have the energy to leave again! Might have to wait until tomorrow. :)

Have a great night!

Danielle August 16, 2010

YUM! So jealous you’re still in Chicago ;) just wanted to say how nice it was to officially meet you in person and wish you the best on the remainder of you and Eric’s vacay. You’re awesome, Ange!

Wendy @ Seriously Sassy August 16, 2010

Definitely looks like you had some fun with your camera today. Enjoyed the beautiful pics – thanks for sharing!
I want a DSLR sooooo bad!!! Want. Waaaaant!!! :-)

Sana August 16, 2010

It was so amazing getting to meet you this weekend!

Gree August 16, 2010

Beautiful pictures, it looked like a fun day! I will have to make a journey to Raw next time I am in the Windy City, it looks so good!

Mackenzie August 16, 2010

It’s so bizarre reading your posts about Chicago because that is where i live! I keep thinking maybe i will run into you while you are sightseeing in the next few days… I’m such a fan!!

Melissa August 16, 2010

Hi! Glad you are enjoying Chicago – if you get a chance you should check out Cozy Noodle. It is about 1/2 block south of Wrigley Field on Sheffield. It is really delicious and adorable inside. Also the Lakeview neighborhood (especially Broadway) is very cute.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 16, 2010

That sandwich looks awesome! I’ve never seen one like that before- so piled high with veggies and very little bread..how they should be! haha I noticed Eric’s taking pictures now- did you get him into that or has he always done it and we’ve just never seen it? :P

Nicole @ yuppieyogini August 16, 2010

Great pictures! I really love raw restaurants, but there aren’t many of them. It’s exciting to try such new and unusual food.

alexa @ Sohdalex August 16, 2010

beautiful shots! That sandwich looks amazing! It is def making me lean towards trying out some raw dishes! ;)

Wei-Wei August 16, 2010

Raw! Didn’t you go with the rest of the group the first time they went? Great camera shots by the way. That red flower is so pretty!

Wei-Wei

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 16, 2010

Very cool museum. Eric looks like he has lost a good deal of weight!!

One Healthy Apple August 16, 2010

I love the pictures of you taking pictures- there is something so sweet about that. I love Chicago and really enjoyed my time there. these pictures really bring back memories!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day August 16, 2010

I’m glad to know that I’m not the only one who doesn’t really like deep dish pizza either! I always feel weird admitting that. It’s like saying you don’t like chocolate :)

The Wife of a Dairyman August 16, 2010

Thanks for the little tour:) Lookin’ like you two are having fun! How long are you there?

Lisa (bakebikeblog) August 16, 2010

Oh my – Angela – they are some beautiful photos that you captured today!

Kira August 16, 2010

From the sites it looks like you guys are doing alot of walking. That’s great! I would also encourage you to hop on the el and check out some of the neighborhoods. Chicago Diner is good comfort vegetarian/vegan food in Lakeview (take the red line north) and the Green Zebra is a highly acclaimed fancy vegetarian/vegan place in Noble Square (take the blue line or green line north) Have fun! Summer is a great time to be in Chicago.

Krystina August 17, 2010

Has Eric lost weight since giving up soda? He definitely looks leaner! Very handsome. :)

Valerie August 17, 2010

Is it sad that the first thing the Advertising major in me noticed about that Raw menu was the gorgeous font? So so so pretty. :P I am a sucker for marketing and I love the way a lot of the organic restaurants have branded themselves in recent years.

The Art Institute looks amazing! I would be inspired too. Then again, you always take great pictures. I definitely hope to go there someday, perhaps with my new camera!

amanda @ Hungry Vegan Traveler August 17, 2010

Lovely photos! You make me want to go back to Chicago soon. I’m near Kansas City, so I’m a day’s drive away. It looks the weather was favorable, too.

Crystal August 17, 2010

Chicago looks like so much fun! I will admit though, the deep dish pizza doesn’t look that appealing to me either. It reminds me too much of lasagna!

Have you tried iced green tea lemonades from Starbucks? They are quite a bit sweeter but one of my favourites. :) I tried it when they were out of passion tea lemonades.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) August 17, 2010

Sounds like you are having a great time!!

I have never had a pizza like that – they look cool :-) The biggest reason I wish I lived in a bigger city is FOOD!! There are so many interesting restaurants, and such a great variety in larger cities. When I travel I always try places that are different from home, and I make sure to eat all the unique local eats.

Bridget August 17, 2010

Chicago looks amazing! Your pictures are absolutely breathtaking!

My parents went there last year and had an awesome time. It’s great that you and Eric are having a great time as well :)

Larinna August 17, 2010

I love how you were able to find healthy eats even while traveling. That is always my greatest challenge! Love the photos, they make me feel like I was there. This is much better then my usual cubicle scenery!

-Larinna
Iheartspandex.com

Naomi(onefitfoodie) August 17, 2010

wow everything looks so delicious!! my bf LOVES juiceboxes, its the funiest thing! he buys them by the case and brings pb and J and a juice box to work (yes he is 26 and has a great job and drinks juiceboxes) its awesome

i need fresh juice like that in my life! parsley soundslike a perfect addition! glad you had a great time :)

JL Goes Vegan August 17, 2010

You’ve inspired me to be more direct when dining out and to ask for a vegan pizza (I’ve just been skipping pizza parlors, thinking they aren’t option) Thanks for that! Looks like you’re having a great time!

Tina August 17, 2010

I have a strong desire to go to Chicago, but not so much to try deep dish pizza. I prefer thin crust too and the thought of all those toppings and sauce spilling out seems too much.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is August 17, 2010

That deep dish pizza looks to die for!

coco August 17, 2010

beautiful pictures! Chicago is such a great city to visit during summer time! :D That pizza looks amazing!

Chase (TheChaseProject) August 17, 2010

You guys look like you’re soaking in as much of Chicago as you can! It’s such a great city, especially this time of year! Have fun!

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) August 17, 2010

What a fun day, I love Chicago and this makes me wish i was there even more! That falafel sandwich looks delicious!

Lauren August 17, 2010

You guys are really living up this city and taking it all in! Glad you guys are having a blast!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine August 17, 2010

Both you and the Fitnessista had such amazing deep-dish pizzas! I never got a chance to try one, but if I had, yours would have been the way to go :) Glad you had a good experience at raw- I loved it too!

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 17, 2010

Those macaroons looks so good. Glad you made it to RAW, it looked amazing when some others went the other day.

chelsey August 17, 2010

I know why you weren’t a fan of the pizza – you went to Uno’s instead of Gino’s East! BIG difference – Gino’s East is 10x better!!!

It looks like you had quite the exciting day. I am almost ashamed to say I have only been to the Art Institute once in my life… when I was maybe 10? ::sigh:: I’m such a bad native.

I really want to try that RAW restaurant now that everyone has been there!

Lindsay August 17, 2010

That’s exactly what I thought when I saw where they went!! I got excited when I saw the title of the post and thought maybe they went to Gino’s!

Melissa August 17, 2010

The National Museum of Mexican Art is in Chicago and is a jewel to visit. http://www.nationalmuseumofmexicanart.org/
I was really impressed.

Kate August 17, 2010

Angela, you take such beautiful pics! I’m excited to see what you come up with from Paris. :) Hope your trip is going well!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman August 17, 2010

Looks like you had so much fun. I’m with you: Thin crust pizza is the best. I don’t even have the itch to try deep dish.

The museum looks fun but is it just me or do some of those pieces look like something out of an ’80s movie?

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 17, 2010

Eric should come down to Windsor for pizza. I swear we have the best doughy pizza ever in this city.

$5 for 2 macaroons is OUTRAGEOUS. I hope they were worth it.

Kiersten August 17, 2010

Beautiful pictures! After seeing everyone’s pics of Chicago this weekend it makes me really want to go there.

Heather (Heather's Dish) August 17, 2010

i love the crazy dish lady dishes from long ago…hilarious! the museum looks so fun!

Page 1 of 212»