Deep Eats

Good evening!

We grabbed our breakfast on the go this morning and each enjoyed a Liberate Glo Bar:

20100816-IMG_6702

I had an iced green tea and Eric a juice box (hehe!!) from Starbucks:

20100816-IMG_6705

From a can of Coke to Organic Apple Juice Boxes. My heart swoons for him.

20100816-IMG_6703

And then we headed to brunch at the French Market:

20100816-IMG_6611

The French Market is filled with tons of restaurant + pastry vendors and fruit and vegetable stands! Very cool. I made a beeline for a restaurant called Raw that I have heard so much about from friends who went last week.

20100816-IMG_6622

I had the Falafel Patties Sandwich on Onion Flatbread:

20100816-IMG_6616

It was really good. The bread was a bit hard/tough for my liking, but still quite tasty. I ate about 3/4 of it.

20100816-IMG_6619

With cucumber + tomato salad that was very good!

20100816-IMG_6617

20100816-IMG_6621

Of course when I saw these crazy big macaroons I HAD to try them!!!

20100816-IMG_6624

Oh dear me. I have to tell you these were out of this world. Just in case you can’t tell they are the size of golf balls!!!! I think I need to add coconut butter to my macaroon recipe because it made these really stand out. I can’t wait to try it myself.

Raw chocolate I am saving for later… ;)

20100816-IMG_6625

I also had a Kale, Parsley, carrot, and beet juice from a Juice Bar in the market:

20100816-IMG_6626

Parsley in juices is delish!

Eric had some kind of Mexican wrap from another restaurant.

Then we decided to head to the Art Institute of Chicago!

20100816-IMG_6630 20100816-IMG_6633

We’re here!

20100816-IMG_6654

It was a really great exhibit- 3 huge levels.

20100816-IMG_6682

Crazy dish ladies from the 1790’s!!!!! ;)

20100816-IMG_6662

20100816-IMG_6663

20100816-IMG_6675

20100816-IMG_6676

20100816-IMG_6678  20100816-IMG_6683

20100816-IMG_6686

20100816-IMG_6688

20100816-IMG_6689

20100816-IMG_6692 20100816-IMG_6693

20100816-IMG_0337

20100816-IMG_0338

We were inspired to take more photography after the art exhibit!

20100816-IMG_0352

20100816-IMG_0354

20100816-IMG_6723

hehehe ;)

20100816-IMG_6720

Nice shot Eric!

20100816-IMG_0349-2

20100816-IMG_6716

20100816-IMG_6721

20100816-IMG_6724

This bunny was SO brave!!!!! He almost ate grass out of my hand. :)

20100816-IMG_6730

Graffiti

20100815-IMG_6425

20100816-IMG_6607

20100816-IMG_0324

20100816-IMG_0325

20100816-IMG_6700

Afternoon snack:

20100816-IMG_6642

20100816-IMG_6644

I tried a bite of the Raw macaroon…awesome.

20100816-IMG_6647

Eric had a Glo Bar:

20100816-IMG_6650

20100816-IMG_6651

We went for dinner to Pizzeria Due for some of Chicago’s famous Deep Dish Zaaaaaah’s.

I started with a salad:

20100816-IMG_6707

I got the vegan pizza with extra sauce and tomatoes.

20100816-IMG_6714

This is an individual serving:

20100816-IMG_6710

Eric had ‘small’ tomato, pepperoni, and easy on the cheese pizza:

20100816-IMG_6711

We really wanted to love deep dish pizza, but I’m afraid that it wasn’t our favourite. This deep dish crust tasted like a crisp, bland, and super thick pie crust. I prefer thin crust and Eric prefers it much more ‘doughy’ ;) Now we can say we tried it though!

20100816-IMG_0361

We did some more walking in some shops and then headed back to the hotel around 9pm. We are debating going to the Signature Lounge for a drink, but I’m not sure we have the energy to leave again! Might have to wait until tomorrow. :)

Have a great night!

1 Danielle August 16, 2010

YUM! So jealous you’re still in Chicago ;) just wanted to say how nice it was to officially meet you in person and wish you the best on the remainder of you and Eric’s vacay. You’re awesome, Ange!

2 Wendy @ Seriously Sassy August 16, 2010

Definitely looks like you had some fun with your camera today. Enjoyed the beautiful pics – thanks for sharing!
I want a DSLR sooooo bad!!! Want. Waaaaant!!! :-)

3 Sana August 16, 2010

It was so amazing getting to meet you this weekend!

4 Gree August 16, 2010

Beautiful pictures, it looked like a fun day! I will have to make a journey to Raw next time I am in the Windy City, it looks so good!

5 Mackenzie August 16, 2010

It’s so bizarre reading your posts about Chicago because that is where i live! I keep thinking maybe i will run into you while you are sightseeing in the next few days… I’m such a fan!!

6 Melissa August 16, 2010

Hi! Glad you are enjoying Chicago – if you get a chance you should check out Cozy Noodle. It is about 1/2 block south of Wrigley Field on Sheffield. It is really delicious and adorable inside. Also the Lakeview neighborhood (especially Broadway) is very cute.

7 Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 16, 2010

That sandwich looks awesome! I’ve never seen one like that before- so piled high with veggies and very little bread..how they should be! haha I noticed Eric’s taking pictures now- did you get him into that or has he always done it and we’ve just never seen it? :P

8 Nicole @ yuppieyogini August 16, 2010

Great pictures! I really love raw restaurants, but there aren’t many of them. It’s exciting to try such new and unusual food.

9 alexa @ Sohdalex August 16, 2010

beautiful shots! That sandwich looks amazing! It is def making me lean towards trying out some raw dishes! ;)

10 Wei-Wei August 16, 2010

Raw! Didn’t you go with the rest of the group the first time they went? Great camera shots by the way. That red flower is so pretty!

Wei-Wei

11 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 16, 2010

Very cool museum. Eric looks like he has lost a good deal of weight!!

12 One Healthy Apple August 16, 2010

I love the pictures of you taking pictures- there is something so sweet about that. I love Chicago and really enjoyed my time there. these pictures really bring back memories!

13 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day August 16, 2010

I’m glad to know that I’m not the only one who doesn’t really like deep dish pizza either! I always feel weird admitting that. It’s like saying you don’t like chocolate :)

14 The Wife of a Dairyman August 16, 2010

Thanks for the little tour:) Lookin’ like you two are having fun! How long are you there?

15 Lisa (bakebikeblog) August 16, 2010

Oh my – Angela – they are some beautiful photos that you captured today!

16 Kira August 16, 2010

From the sites it looks like you guys are doing alot of walking. That’s great! I would also encourage you to hop on the el and check out some of the neighborhoods. Chicago Diner is good comfort vegetarian/vegan food in Lakeview (take the red line north) and the Green Zebra is a highly acclaimed fancy vegetarian/vegan place in Noble Square (take the blue line or green line north) Have fun! Summer is a great time to be in Chicago.

17 Krystina August 17, 2010

Has Eric lost weight since giving up soda? He definitely looks leaner! Very handsome. :)

18 Valerie August 17, 2010

Is it sad that the first thing the Advertising major in me noticed about that Raw menu was the gorgeous font? So so so pretty. :P I am a sucker for marketing and I love the way a lot of the organic restaurants have branded themselves in recent years.

The Art Institute looks amazing! I would be inspired too. Then again, you always take great pictures. I definitely hope to go there someday, perhaps with my new camera!

19 amanda @ Hungry Vegan Traveler August 17, 2010

Lovely photos! You make me want to go back to Chicago soon. I’m near Kansas City, so I’m a day’s drive away. It looks the weather was favorable, too.

20 Crystal August 17, 2010

Chicago looks like so much fun! I will admit though, the deep dish pizza doesn’t look that appealing to me either. It reminds me too much of lasagna!

Have you tried iced green tea lemonades from Starbucks? They are quite a bit sweeter but one of my favourites. :) I tried it when they were out of passion tea lemonades.

21 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) August 17, 2010

Sounds like you are having a great time!!

I have never had a pizza like that – they look cool :-) The biggest reason I wish I lived in a bigger city is FOOD!! There are so many interesting restaurants, and such a great variety in larger cities. When I travel I always try places that are different from home, and I make sure to eat all the unique local eats.

22 Bridget August 17, 2010

Chicago looks amazing! Your pictures are absolutely breathtaking!

My parents went there last year and had an awesome time. It’s great that you and Eric are having a great time as well :)

23 Larinna August 17, 2010

I love how you were able to find healthy eats even while traveling. That is always my greatest challenge! Love the photos, they make me feel like I was there. This is much better then my usual cubicle scenery!

-Larinna
Iheartspandex.com

24 Naomi(onefitfoodie) August 17, 2010

wow everything looks so delicious!! my bf LOVES juiceboxes, its the funiest thing! he buys them by the case and brings pb and J and a juice box to work (yes he is 26 and has a great job and drinks juiceboxes) its awesome

i need fresh juice like that in my life! parsley soundslike a perfect addition! glad you had a great time :)

25 JL Goes Vegan August 17, 2010

You’ve inspired me to be more direct when dining out and to ask for a vegan pizza (I’ve just been skipping pizza parlors, thinking they aren’t option) Thanks for that! Looks like you’re having a great time!

26 Tina August 17, 2010

I have a strong desire to go to Chicago, but not so much to try deep dish pizza. I prefer thin crust too and the thought of all those toppings and sauce spilling out seems too much.

27 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is August 17, 2010

That deep dish pizza looks to die for!

28 coco August 17, 2010

beautiful pictures! Chicago is such a great city to visit during summer time! :D That pizza looks amazing!

29 Chase (TheChaseProject) August 17, 2010

You guys look like you’re soaking in as much of Chicago as you can! It’s such a great city, especially this time of year! Have fun!

30 Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) August 17, 2010

What a fun day, I love Chicago and this makes me wish i was there even more! That falafel sandwich looks delicious!

31 Lauren August 17, 2010

You guys are really living up this city and taking it all in! Glad you guys are having a blast!

32 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine August 17, 2010

Both you and the Fitnessista had such amazing deep-dish pizzas! I never got a chance to try one, but if I had, yours would have been the way to go :) Glad you had a good experience at raw- I loved it too!

33 Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 17, 2010

Those macaroons looks so good. Glad you made it to RAW, it looked amazing when some others went the other day.

34 chelsey August 17, 2010

I know why you weren’t a fan of the pizza – you went to Uno’s instead of Gino’s East! BIG difference – Gino’s East is 10x better!!!

It looks like you had quite the exciting day. I am almost ashamed to say I have only been to the Art Institute once in my life… when I was maybe 10? ::sigh:: I’m such a bad native.

I really want to try that RAW restaurant now that everyone has been there!

35 Lindsay August 17, 2010

That’s exactly what I thought when I saw where they went!! I got excited when I saw the title of the post and thought maybe they went to Gino’s!

36 Melissa August 17, 2010

The National Museum of Mexican Art is in Chicago and is a jewel to visit. http://www.nationalmuseumofmexicanart.org/
I was really impressed.

37 Kate August 17, 2010

Angela, you take such beautiful pics! I’m excited to see what you come up with from Paris. :) Hope your trip is going well!

38 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman August 17, 2010

Looks like you had so much fun. I’m with you: Thin crust pizza is the best. I don’t even have the itch to try deep dish.

The museum looks fun but is it just me or do some of those pieces look like something out of an ’80s movie?

39 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 17, 2010

Eric should come down to Windsor for pizza. I swear we have the best doughy pizza ever in this city.

$5 for 2 macaroons is OUTRAGEOUS. I hope they were worth it.

40 Kiersten August 17, 2010

Beautiful pictures! After seeing everyone’s pics of Chicago this weekend it makes me really want to go there.

41 Heather (Heather's Dish) August 17, 2010

i love the crazy dish lady dishes from long ago…hilarious! the museum looks so fun!

42 Lindsay August 17, 2010

Raw looks amazing!! And you should have gone to Gino’s East…best pizza I’ve ever had!

43 Christina August 17, 2010

Love it! French Market is one of my favourite places in Chicago. I’m glad you had a chance to visit :)

44 Alycia [Fit n Fresh] August 17, 2010

Your day looks awesome! After being in Chicago for HLS, I am already begging my boyfriend to take my back – like soon :)

45 banandrea August 17, 2010

Beautiful pictures, looks like you had a wonderful day! I’ve always wanted to go to Chicago, and now I want to even more!

46 Caitlin @ Right Foot Forward August 17, 2010

Amazing pictures! I visited Chicago very briefly in March, and now I’m convinced that I was in a different city! You have seen some great attractions during your visit.

47 Julia August 17, 2010

angela! the pictures of the church that you and eric took are of the church i work at! :) we met briefly on friday night at the cocktail party…i expressed my undying love for your glo bars haha. hope you two are enjoying your exploration of chicago!

48 Erin @ A Girl and Her Mutt August 17, 2010

Oh my gosh! Your photos make me want to go back to Chicago…STAT!

49 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 17, 2010

What a fun day!

I love the Chicago Art Institute — its been a few years since I’ve been there though. Your pics make me want to go back!

I love the pics that Eric took of you taking photographs. They turned out beautiful!

I also like either thin crispy pizza crust or thick doughy crust with big fat bubbles. I think deep dish is good, but not super crazy good like others think.

Have a great day today! :)

50 Emily @ Run Emily Run August 17, 2010

Deep dish pizza, easy on the cheese? Isn’t that an oxymoron??? Hah. Love all the photos. You really make me miss Chicago!!

51 Shanna, like Banana August 17, 2010

Okay, so Pizzeria Uno and Due are both very good, but they are not true-true deep dish pizza. Giordano’s has a much more flavorful crust…please oh please try.

And the Signature Lounge is totally worth it!

52 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 17, 2010

You make me even more jealous by the post! Those are some beautiful photos – I especially love the one with the building covered in vine. Oh, and your pink top is so so so cute!! Have a great day :)

53 Jessie (Bites and Pieces) August 17, 2010

Beautiful photos in this post! It looks like you really enjoyed your time in Chicago. I’m SO glad I got to meet you at the summit. :) I loved my Glo bar sample too! It was perfectly sweet and chewy. Yum!

54 Elli @ 16 and Losing It August 17, 2010

Love your pictures! All that food looks so tasty. Although I’m with you on the pizza, I like thin crust!

55 Callie August 17, 2010

Love those pictures, especially the one with all the old dishes. So pretty. :)
I must try those macaroons someday!

56 Tanya @ Life with the Kummerow August 17, 2010

Are you going to check out Chicago Diner? Not sure where it is but it was a fantastic treat!

57 Camille August 17, 2010

What a fabulous day! That bunny is adorable!
My boyfriend is from the Chicago area and he will also attest to the fact that deep dish isn’t his favorite. I still want to try it though!

58 Sara August 17, 2010

II promise I’m not saying this just because I’m defensive about my city’s pizza, but Pizzeria Due is a terrible example of deep dish. We have MUCH better pizza restaurants with fresher sauce and more flavorful crust. Maybe next time you can try a better example of the pizza we love :)
(I recommend Art of Pizza – also does vegan)

59 Sami August 17, 2010

glad you are enjoying your time in chicago! the raw eats look delish! i recently tried “raw bread” and i know what you mean about the texture! “love force” makes some great raw treats! i’ve always wanted to go see the art institute! it’s on my bucket list :)

60 Jackie @ carolina_vogue August 17, 2010

The first photo of you with the camera is beautiful! You look so in the moment :)

61 Irene August 17, 2010

Beautiful photos!

62 Amber K August 17, 2010

I like chewy, doughy pizza crust too! I understand your guy well! Now, thin crust…I just can’t get on board with! =P

63 Anitashesconnected August 17, 2010

Wow, your photos are truly amazing! And all those delish, healthy eats at Raw. I will have to check out that place if I am ever there!

64 Lisa August 17, 2010

The Art Institute and museum in Chicago are my favorite spots! I got to see some of my favorite paintings and that was amazing!

65 Danielle (Runs on Green) August 17, 2010

I just loveeee your photography :)

It looks like you had such a good time in Chicago! And raw ‘roons are seriously to-die for

66 Paige @ Running Around Normal August 17, 2010

You made it to the Art Institute! That’s one of my favorite Chicago museums:) Glad you guys got to explore the city. It was so nice meeting and running w/ you this weekend!! :)

67 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 17, 2010

LOL at the crazy dish ladies from the 1790’s. I think you’ve found your people! ;)

68 Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun August 17, 2010

I am dying to try your Glo Bars and your Falafel Sandwich looks so yummy! :-)

69 Tracey August 17, 2010

Wow, you guys are really doing and seeing a lot! That’s awesome! BTW that falafel sandwich you had looked sooo good. I can’t wait to go back to Chicago and try out that place :)

70 Sarah August 17, 2010

I’m dying for a raw restaurant like that near me! Maybe I’m just not looking hard enough… great post!

71 Ed August 17, 2010

I adore the Chicago Art Institute! I go every time I’m there. I love the miniatures and paper weights. And my favorite Georgia O’Keefe painting is there: http://allirooney.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/8222_355125.jpg. It’s on a stair landing. I haven’t memorized where it is because I love to wander through everything looking for it.

72 Hayley August 17, 2010

Looks like such a great day. I am a big fan of art museums!! So many pretty things to look at.

73 Anne @thefitbridesmaid August 17, 2010

My landlady just gave me some cucumbers and tomatoes from her garden. That salad looks so good. What do you think was in it? I keep finding recipes with balsamic, olive oil, garlic, basil, etc.

Isn’t the Art Institute great? That’s where the Seurat’s Afternoon on La Grande Jatte is, right? Ahh pointillism.

74 laurenjanen August 18, 2010

Beautiful pictures! Love Chicago! AND love your blog! Take care! :)