On The Loose

Good afternoon!

We had a ball of a time in Chicago today. A big group of us met in the lobby around 11am and hit the road!

20100813-IMG_6016

Of we went, cameras in tote.

20100813-IMG_6020

20100813-IMG_6027

20100813-IMG_6033 20100813-IMG_6035

Hmmm….

20100813-IMG_6036

Oh boy.

20100813-IMG_6037

THE BEAN!

20100813-IMG_0120

20100813-IMG_0122

A photographer’s dream mirrored bean basically!

20100813-IMG_6039

20100813-IMG_6043

20100813-IMG_6047

20100813-IMG_6048

The inside of the bean…like ovaries almost!? ;)

20100813-IMG_6055

I asked Eric if he wanted to come out with us crazy gals and he was all for it. I think he is living it up with all these gorgeous ladies! ;) Every time I ask him if he minds being with all women, he says he is having fun and has this big goofy grin on his face. Oh boy.

20100813-IMG_6058

20100813-IMG_6059

20100813-IMG_6060

20100813-IMG_6061

hehehe

20100813-IMG_6063

I love the architecture.

20100813-IMG_6078

We found a cute place for lunch called Argo Tea.

20100813-IMG_6083

20100813-IMG_6085

20100813-IMG_6087

They have a full menu of iced and hot teas. I pretty much died and went to heaven. I got the White Tea Acai Squeeze and it was incredible.

20100813-IMG_6089

Their entire menu has calorie counts! I’m not sure if that is common around here or not…as I haven’t noticed it elsewhere.

20100813-IMG_6090

They had lots of vegan options too!!! Amazing.

20100813-IMG_6091

My lunch:

20100813-IMG_6093

20100813-IMG_6098

20100813-IMG_6100

20100813-IMG_6106

20100813-IMG_6109

20100813-IMG_6113

Oh my gosh it was so amazing. All of us loved it.

20100813-IMG_6116

Everyone I have met here is so nice. I feel so lucky to meet all of these fabulous women through the blogging community. :) Lots of friendships have blossomed.

20100813-IMG_6117

20100813-IMG_6120

The Trump tower. I heard he is having trouble trying to fill it!

20100813-IMG_6123

20100813-IMG_6126

20100813-IMG_0146

Then I had my first trip to Trader Joe’s. Oh dear me.

20100813-IMG_6131

We had a field day!

20100813-IMG_0157

20100813-IMG_0158

On the loose in a fun grocery store. Never a good sign.

When I get this look in my eyes Eric knows only bad things can come of it. ;)

20100813-IMG_0159

Our last stop was a wonderful chocolate place called Vosges Haute Chocolate. They had lots of vegan options too. The lady who worked there was a vegan and showed me her two favs and I picked those up for a special treat.

20100813-IMG_6132

20100813-IMG_6134

I will show you the TJ’s loot and chocolate in my next post.

I’m off to get ready for dinner and the HLS Cocktail party. We’re getting all gussied up. ;) Have a great night!

1 macey August 13, 2010

Hi Angela! I love reading all your posts and seeing what’s going on in Chicago :) I noticed in some of your skyline pictures that your camera is leaving quite a few dust spots. Oh no! :S
Not to worry though! If you go to a camera store they will clean your sensor for just around $10 (or you can google “clean camera sensor” and do it yourself too, but it’s really easy to mess up your camera)
Just wanted to offer some friendly photographer-to-photographer advice :)

2 Tasha- The Clean Eating Mama August 13, 2010

Yay for Chicago! Yay for blogger friends! Yay for bean pictures! Yay for Trader Joes!

3 Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 13, 2010

I recognize some of those ladies!! :D Mainly you and Allie, though lol. Looks like you all had a ball! And um..that gold statue is..interesting..?

4 Julia August 13, 2010

Looks like so much fun!!

5 Lisa August 13, 2010

Chicago has some very impressive art all over town. That was definitely something I loved about that City.

6 Heather (Heather's Dish) August 13, 2010

how fun! i’ve never been to chicago but all of your great photos make me want to visit asap!

7 Tina August 13, 2010

So….what did you get at TJs?? That place is addictive! I love it and wish we had one closer than 30 minutes away.

8 Andrea August 13, 2010

It was so awesome to finally meet you today!

9 Ameena August 13, 2010

What a great meet up! I can’t think of a better way to enjoy Chicago than to do it on foot. I have never heard of The Bean! And I’ve been there several times??

Have a great night!

10 Hannah August 13, 2010

Looks like you guys are having a lot of fun!!! Hope you have a great weekend!!!!

11 Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) August 13, 2010

That lunch place looks great, i’m going to have to add it to my list next time in in Chicago. I’ve never been to Trader Joe’s but I’ve only heard good things…..soon enough, we’ll be making a day-trip to the nearest one and then my husband will definitely be in trouble. we are planning the day-trip for September! I’m so jealous of everyone that has a Trader Joe’s in their hometown!

12 Coco @ Opera Girl Cooks August 13, 2010

Everyone’s Chicago posts are seriously making me miss that great city — I spent a lot of time there in my early 20s! If you haven’t tried Panes Bread Cafe, you’re missin’ out . . . jussayin! Hope you got lots of awesome loot at Trader Joe’s =)

13 Gavi @ GaviGetsGoing! August 13, 2010

I just returned from a trip to Trader Joe’s in San Francisco–it’s one of my favorite grocery stores! That chickpea salad is inspiring some tasty thoughts for my dinner tonight…and my boyfriend absolutely adores the Vosges Barcelona bar (with roasted almonds and sea salt). Enjoy Chicago and live it up! :)

14 Cat August 13, 2010

Oh great pics!! You and Allie look like such goofballs, looks like you’re having loads of fun! Lucky Eric getting to hang out with you all ;)

15 Laurie August 13, 2010

Thanks for sharing your day. You girls are beautiful. Seriously, is there anyone there over 40? over 30? I don’t know where you live, but I am sorry you have never been to TJ’s. Have you ever seen the Kevin Smith movies, they are pretty raunchy. There are characters, Jay and Silent Bob and their hang out is some 7-11 type place. My husband wants TJ’s to be his hangout and he just wants to stand there all day…..The look in your eyes told me something similar.

16 Kristina August 13, 2010

LOVE IT….glad you are enjoying the windy city!

17 Adina August 13, 2010

Looks like your having an awesome time in Chicago :) ! ahhhh I get the same look everytime I set in a Trader Joes lol I go nuts. Hope you have a fun night out !

18 tanyas daily August 13, 2010

walking is the only way

19 Vanessa August 13, 2010

Ok, so I know that you’re actually DOWNTOWN downtown, but you must veer off a little and eat at Chicago Diner. It’s so incredibly delicious, and I guarantee you will love it! Argos Tea is pretty great as well, but it’s just not the same, haha.

20 Sara August 13, 2010

OH GOD if there’s anything I miss from Chicago it’s Argo!! I honestly wasn’t a tea drinker at all until I started going there, and it quickly became our morning haunt between my coworkers and I (I worked at the hospital on Michigan Ave and there’s one on the campus, we got discounts!). Yum yum yum…. hehe

21 tara August 13, 2010

isn’t trader joe’s so fun?? I just moved to California from Halifax and it’s my favourite spot to go.. better than any shopping mall! :)

22 Allison August 13, 2010

wow amazing!! so jealous. Maybe i should plan for next year to join all of you there! sounds like so much fun.

That is awesome how they have the calories on all the items at that one place, its handy! And VEGAN options.

23 Allison August 13, 2010

The TJ pics are too cute.. It is a DREAM STORE..And the prices are so good..
Eric is a trooper and such a good guy. You guys should all go see Eat,Pray and Love the movie came out today..I hope you saw the Oprah’s show today Julia Roberts was on and it was so good..

HAVE FUN!! LOVE THE PICS AND THE POST.

24 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is August 13, 2010

Holy vosges chocolate!! I love their chocolate – they have bacon!

25 Courtney (Delightful Devours) August 13, 2010

I have to say, I am loving that tank top! That color really suits you!

26 christina cadden August 13, 2010

Looks like you guys are having so much fun!

27 JL Goes Vegan August 13, 2010

Love seeing HLS through all the bloggers eyes! (cameras!)

28 Nicole - yuppie yogini August 13, 2010

Eric is a trooper!!

29 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 13, 2010

In Washington, it is state law that fast food places must have their calorie counts! It’s great to know especially when you’re about to order an 800 calorie salad.

30 holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 13, 2010

How fun that Eric came with you all! My husband would have said the same thing as Eric, and he would have had a goofy grin on his face too! Haha.

Have a great weekend!

31 Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 13, 2010

What a perfect lunch. The calorie thing is new and is popping up at a lot of cafes. In some places it’s a law to post it on the menu.

32 Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 13, 2010

Oh my gosh, I nearly died at the bean looking like ovaries. hahahaha

I LOVE Argo tea!! And you got the same lunch I always get there. The chickpea salad is so, so good!!

33 dep August 13, 2010

hi angela, i don’t often comment but i read your blog daily – and it is SO MUCH FUN hearing about your Chicago trip, it looks amazing. have a great time!

34 Jackie (Peaces of Earth) August 13, 2010

Aww! So fun! Eric is such a great sport. :) That must be SO tough for him. hehe

I love Vosges!!! I went there when I was in Chicago. My favorite is the sesame, ginger, wasabi. SO GOOD

Have so much fun tonight!!

35 Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies August 13, 2010

Yay TJ’s!! and Argo looks amazing!! I love that they do calorie counts…I wish all restaurants were required to post them on the menu.

36 zoe August 13, 2010

chicago looks like so much fun!!! i’ve never been but everyone i know who has visited only has positive things to say about it. although, i’m not quite sure i’m excited by that modern art. maybe because i really, really loathe most modern art :p! trader joes = MY LIFE. love love love! so glad you got to experience it. i can definitely spend hours in there, too! have a great rest of your trip :)

37 Kristin August 13, 2010

Hi Angela!
I have been following your blog for the last couple of months, but this is my first time commenting. I now have a pretty torrid love affair w/overnight oats and chia seeds thanks to you :) I’m so excited to see you are in Chicago – this beautiful city has been my home for the last 8 years. Are you planning to check out Karyn’s Raw restaurant in Lincoln Park? She is a genius and makes the most divine raw, vegan food. If it is not on your agenda, you must add it on! If you don’t have time for a sit down meal, she has a wonderful juice bar and to-go items.
Enjoy your time here!!
Kristin

38 Marie August 13, 2010

This does look like so much fun! I’m hoping to go to HLS next year. It’s neat to see Freya in your pictures, she’s one of my favorite bloggers! Oh and poor, poor Eric ;)

39 Friska August 13, 2010

Hey Angela,

I’ve been your blog reader since last week and you are such a inspiration! Enjoy your time in Chicago and I’m so happy you went to TJ’s, love that place :)
I did my first 5K yesterday (thanks to you) and I believe I still have leftover endorphins from it :))

40 Kathy August 13, 2010

Did you enjoy our HOT weather today?

41 Judy August 13, 2010

What a fun post! Looks like you had a fun time, and I have to admit I recognize that look you mention – I get the same one when I am loose in a specialty or vegan-centered store. :)

42 April @ Crazy Fabulous Life August 13, 2010

First trip to TJs?! Do they not have Trader Joe’s in Canada? :-O

43 Valerie August 13, 2010

I love Trader Joe’s! We don’t have one anywhere in my state but my dad always used to bring it home from trips and all my friends in other states constantly rave about it. I love their chocolate covered fruits, but half the fun is just running around the store : ) I finally got to go there when I was sixteen and it was probably the highlight of that summer for me :P

44 Maissa August 13, 2010

AHHH looks like so much fun! I’m jealous of all you HLSers. I wish I could have gone. Oh well, next year I suppose.

I love trader joe’s. The worst thing about moving to Canada (although everything else has been fantastic) was no longer being able to shop there.

45 Joanna @ landanimal.wordpress.com August 13, 2010

Ahhhh I wish we had an Argo Tea where I live!

46 chelsey August 13, 2010

Yesssssss for TJ’s! I’m glad you liked it – you are too pretty!

47 Gree August 13, 2010

What a delicious looking day! I get the same look in Trader Joe’s, their coffee is awesome and a great deal!

48 Ashley August 13, 2010

SO much fun!! SO excited for you guys. Funny about eric ;) xoxox

49 Ann August 13, 2010

I can’t believe I left Chicago before HLS! It sounds like you’re having a ton of fun. Vosges is soo delicious, and you should try the triple decker hummus at TJ! Original, red pepper and cilantro hummus. YUMMY.

50 Katherine August 13, 2010

I grew up in Chicago and I love the Chicago updates! They ARE having a major issue filling up the Trump Building. My Dad actually owns and rents a unit in the building (bought the unit way before the recession when it was under construction). The units are super small and way overpriced. They are having issues turning them around.

51 Charlie August 14, 2010

I am so intrigued by Trader Joe! I definitely have to go someday ;)

I heard that we can find calories on menus at some places but I never found one that does. It is such a great idea, especially since most restaurant dishes are very high in calories. But I guess that these are not the restaurants that show the information.

52 jenn (GH) August 14, 2010

Your pictures are making me nostalgic. I have many good memories visiting Chicago and it’s been a few years since we have been there.

Love that picture of your first time in TJ’s. How fun! Can’t wait to see what you got. I do 90% of my shopping there since it’s less than a mile from my house!

have Fun!

53 Amy August 14, 2010

Omg! Vosges has such amazing chocolate! Their obscure mixtures are absolute perfection for an adventurous chocolate lover like myself.

I am not sure if they are only sold in Chicago, but their store is so fun to visit…
Can you say chocolate samples? Yum!

54 Camille August 14, 2010

Isn’t TJ’s the best!
It’s my favorite grocery store!

55 Wei-Wei August 14, 2010

Hurray for TJ’s and the BEAN! Are all the bloggers at the HLS split up into groups? I haven’t seen this post on anyone else’s blog yet! :P

Wei-Wei

56 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 14, 2010

Ahh so jealous you got to go to TJs! I think Canada needs to hop on that bandwagon and open some TJs asap!

LOL at the ovaries comment!

57 ERika August 14, 2010

Your husband seems to be the sweetest even tempered person – so sweet that he hung out with the girls and had a good time!!

58 Erika August 14, 2010

oh and as i am reading your blog i am eating spelt pancakes for one -Angela Style !

59 Tracey August 14, 2010

Chicago is a gorgeous and fun city. I love it! If you have time on your trip, I definitely recommend doing the boat architecture tour. It is so amazing to see all the unique buildings around the city. Have fun!

60 eat move love August 14, 2010

Oh wow Chicago looks amazing. Those pictures of the buildings. I want to move back to a city already! …although I’d complain about that too ;)…suck it up right?!

61 Lori August 14, 2010

FYI, for all you who don’t have a Trader Joes in your state here is the scoop. TJ makes alot of money on the liquor sales and doesn’t open stores in states with restrictive liquor laws. Therefore, me being in California we have many. We love our liquor and our Napa Valley wines!!!!!

62 faith @ gracefulfitness August 14, 2010

That story about Eric reminds me of when I was in college earning a degree in dance. The department was, not surprisingly, 99% women and so all the parties were quite estrogen heavy. My husband never complained about hanging out with a bunch of dancers though, in fact, his friends would try to score an invite!

63 Sarah August 14, 2010

Love the fork attached to the bowl :) So convenient!! I’m easily entertained by little things like forks.

Have a fabulous time in Chicago!!

64 Lauren August 14, 2010

Vosges is the absolute BEST in Chicago! My favorite is the Organic Chocolate Enchanted Mushroom Bar and the Rooster! Mmm =)

65 Amber K August 14, 2010

What an awesome day! The food looks fantastic!

66 Cynthia (It All Changes) August 14, 2010

Those bean pics are amazing and Eric grin is so funny.

I’m all about tea restaurants so I’ve book marked that when Hunni and I go visit a friend.

67 Tanya @ Life with the Kummerow August 14, 2010

I just want to say how beautiful all of you fine food bloggers are! The HLS looks like so much fun. I am exactly the same way in a great grocery store!

68 Ed August 16, 2010

I’m so glad you had fun in Chicago! About the calorie counts…in the states, health and food regulations are often tested in New York City (requirements from the FDA, like ingredient lists). Recently, New York has required restaurants to offer calorie counts on menus. This has caused some places to really switch up their menus, since patrons are realizing things they though were healthy, well, weren’t (chicken tenders salad with cream dressing, anyone?). California has also jumped on this wagon. I’m seeing the effects of it in Boulder, particularly with chain restaurants that have had their menus redesigned. The companies order new menus for all the locations and suddenly I’m benefiting from New York and California. Other cities are catching on and you probably hit up a restaurant that is well-aware of current events. I know I adore seeing the calorie counts because it really makes me think about what I want to eat.
P.S. Sorry for the novel comment, I’m just excited to see calorie counts transitioning to the Midwest! :)

69 Dominique August 22, 2010

Great views of the city. It totally makes me wish I had bought a ticket early enough to attend. Now I’m really looking forward to next year’s HLS if there is one. I can’t wait to see what you picked up from Vosges. BF and I were at the one in NYC last summer and we had quite a hard time picking out just a couple of bars. I love TJ’s! I really wish it would come to Toronto! I once had someone mail me a bunch of stuff from TJ’s via FedEx. It was a really crazy order but I was dying for some TJ goodies.