Mang-OH

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 9, 2010

Hello :)

Today was the perfect day for a rest day off exercise as it just happened to be crazy humid and rainy all day. I love when my rest days coincide with bad weather days. Sometimes the stars just align. ;)

Meet my newest obsession: Mango on Salad.

IMG_5783

Oh dear me. How have I never had mango on a salad before?

I know I said cherries are my favourite fruit, but after eating an insanely delicious and juicy mango today, I’m not so sure anymore.

IMG_0086

It’s a close call.

I am willing to do hundreds of taste tests to determine the winner. If anyone knows of any fruit taste-offs, please give them my name.

Along with my avocado, romaine, and mang-OH salad (topped with Better than Bottled Balsamic vinaigrette), I had some Ezekiel bread toasted with tomato paste and leftover black bean + squash Enchilada filling from last night. It was divine!

IMG_5777

IMG_5778

I don’t know why leftovers get such a bad rep. I LOVE leftovers!

To me, leftovers = time saver = quick and easy lunches.

IMG_5779

I present to you my INSANELY large salad bowl. Only fit for the most insane salad lover. ;)

IMG_5784 IMG_5790

The picture on the right kind of reminds me of this… ;)

Great Dane

[Source]

It should also be known that, occasionally, I eat salad straight from the salad spinner bowl. I’m about 6 years in etiquette school away from drinking tea with the Queen. Baby steps.

My afternoon snack was some delicious green fuel courtesy of the Green Monster. I still get emails almost every day from new Green Monster fans. Everyone starts the email off with ‘I can’t believe I waited this long to try one’ or ‘They looked so gross, BUT now I love them…’ :)

I can’t go more than a couple days without having one!

IMG_5791

In the chocolate cherry banana kale GM: 1 cup almond milk, 1/2 scoop Amazing Grass chocolate powder, 1 frozen banana, 3 kale leaves, 1 tbsp chia seeds, 1/4 cup frozen cherries, 1 tbsp cocoa powder.

IMG_5793

Sluuurrrrp.

Dinner was as quick as it gets…

IMG_5469

An Amy’s Texas burger, hummus, t-paste, and Ezekiel bread.

IMG_5468

I am off to clean up the kitchen, start packing for the Chicago trip, and then I am going to babysit my niece and nephew with Eric.

Tonight’s question: What are your favourite toppings to put on salads? Anything unusual that just works?

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is August 9, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Bacon! Cheese! Sweet potato fries!

Really… I’m not joking.

AngelaOSG August 9, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Sweet potato fries on a salad sounds AMAZING!!!!!!!

Wei-Wei August 9, 2010 at 9:30 pm

LOL. I love you man. I really do. (Angela’s a vegan, btw… casual reminder :D)

Wei-Wei

your best advice August 9, 2010 at 6:15 pm

I really like tomato paste…it goes with so many foods…like the taste a lot.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman August 9, 2010 at 6:16 pm

I love mango in salads! I make one with grilled chicken and slivered almonds and mango with a super light vinaigrette. So good!

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day August 9, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Oh mango…how I love you. Too bad they are such a pain to chop up. I also love them in a salad. I take chopped up mango, small chunks of cucumber, shredded carrots, mint, and let all the flavors absorb together for a few hours in the frig. Amaaazing.

Jess * forever addicting * August 9, 2010 at 6:26 pm

They are such a pain to chop up! I couldn’t agree more. My Mom got suckered in at William Sinoma and bought this “mango cutter”…it sucks. I swear it creates an even bigger mess! They sure are tasty though, so I suppose the mess is worth it ;)

AngelaOSG August 9, 2010 at 6:36 pm

Check out Kath’s tutorial!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfOiBxMSLTA

Jazz August 9, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Toasted pecans and goat cheese for sure!

Leah @ L4L August 9, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Corn is one of my favorite salad additions! Or sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt) instead of dressing!

Rebecca August 9, 2010 at 6:21 pm

I like water chestnuts, I like the crunch of them, radish, raw mushrooms, Hommus, really I just love salads.

Sara August 9, 2010 at 6:21 pm

I really like plain, whole wheat pasta (Rotelli shaped, to be exact) in my salads! Just a little, to give some extra texture and boost how much it fills me. I need a huge salad bowl, I’ve been on the lookout for one because I too eat mine out of the spinner (or whichever mixing bowl I use)!! :P

Jess * forever addicting * August 9, 2010 at 6:24 pm

That’s so funny, I am JUST about to cook up an Amy’s Texas burger!! Yum, I think I’ll also add hummus on mine ;)

Mmm mango on salad is absolute delicious! Peaches are also delightful in salads. They’re perfect right now too, because they’re in season. Peaches, mixed greens, basil, cucumber, walnuts…YUM

As always, great photos! Enjoy your evening!

xo

Kerry August 9, 2010 at 6:27 pm

I love the combination of red onion and dried cranberries to sweeten up the acidity of the dressing. I also like to add some kind of protein – usually sunflower seeds, cashews, pistachios or walnuts. I also really love black beans. Sometimes I’ll add leftover tempeh or tofu (though I make those sparingly). Never had mango on a salad but I will definitely start! I hate when people think all salads are the same – there are endless varieties of salads that are all equally delicious!

Dara August 9, 2010 at 6:27 pm

When you said t-paste it reminded me of T-pain.. is that weird?

AngelaOSG August 9, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Not at all. lol :)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) August 9, 2010 at 6:30 pm

Lately I have loved adding seeds (sunflower, pepitas etc) to my salads for that extra CRUNCH!!!

Courtney (Delightful Devours) August 9, 2010 at 6:31 pm

My absolute FAVORITE salad topping of all time would have to be…shredded cheese! I am a cheese addict and a sprinkle of some goodness on a salad gets me every time. Oh and you can’t go wrong with olives and avocado!

Molly @ MollyRunsFresh August 9, 2010 at 6:32 pm

Pickles! I love chopped pickles in my salad. And also any kind of frozen fruit (of course I would never put the two of them in the same salad).

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) August 9, 2010 at 6:44 pm

Haha I’ll never make it to tea with the Queen…I lick my Magic Bullet blades daily.

I just did a post on leftover makeovers–leftovers are the best especially when they inspire new, amazing dishes.

Kristin August 9, 2010 at 6:49 pm

My favorite salad topings are the leftovers from the day before! We almost always have some steamed or grilled veggies which I throw cold ontop of a big pile of greens!

Maggie August 9, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Hallelujah for your mang-oh post. I am a huge fan (and practitioner) of adding fruit to salads — whatever’s ripe, juicy and in season, such as peaches, nectarines, mango, blueberries, raspberries, apples, you name it. And I always throw some pepitas in the mix for crunch and healthy fat. Leftovers go in the mix as well — usually roasted veggies for me and grilled meats for my husband.

Speaking of leftovers, I am so smitten with your leftover enchilada filling on toast. Genius!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 9, 2010 at 6:54 pm

There is something about veggies in a smoothie that makes it absolutely divine. It’s a better pick-me-up than coffee.

mangosnavocados (Whitney) August 9, 2010 at 6:55 pm

I loooove salads with mangos (hence the email address, twitter name, blog title, etc)! I usually do salad with avocado, black beans, tomatoes, onion, mango, roasted/pickled peppadews, and either slivered almonds, or if I really want something special, macadamia nuts, so, so good!

Tina August 9, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Mango is my favorite fruit if it is perfectly ripe. I’m so picky about mango though. I can’t remember ever having it on a salad. I bet it is great!

Camille August 9, 2010 at 6:57 pm

I looove strawberries on salads! It makes it so fresh and colorful and amazing :)

Heather August 9, 2010 at 6:58 pm

fruit like strawberries and mango are the best with walnuts or pecans. i’m drooling just thinking about it!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 9, 2010 at 6:58 pm

I like to add all sorts of nuts, dried fruit, roasted soy nuts, pineapple, orange slices, sweet corn, and beans to my salads. (Not all at once obviously!) Dressing-wise, sometimes I mix balsamic vinegar or lime juice with light Italian dressing. Or, depending on the type of salad, I like to thin out hummus with some lemon juice and drizzle it on top.
Don’t worry, I too will never be eligible etiquette-wise to eat with the Queen. My salad bowls are usually about the size of my head and I’m pretty sure I eat way too fast!

Kaitlin With Honey August 9, 2010 at 6:59 pm

When my aunt told me she thought my green monsters looked gross, I was honestly surprised! I think they look so yummy! I guess that’s just from experience. :)

Janna August 9, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Okay. I am THE mango lover and I don’t think I’ve ever put mango on a salad. How is this possible!!! I have to do it now!

My favorite salad toppers (not necessarily together) are goat cheese, chickpeas, olives, roasted red pepper, hearts of palm, toasted walnuts or pecans and stawberries.

Mmm I’m craving a big salad now!

Courtney @ Ice Cream & Wine August 9, 2010 at 7:10 pm

I love pickles on my salad – so good!

Daniel August 9, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Mango is great on salads – as are pears, apples, and blueberries.
Some of my favorite toppings for my salads are nuts, beets, nooch, avocado, or shredded nori.

Also, I made your better-than-bottled balsamic vinaigrette (delicious by the way!) and I noticed after a few days in the container (I can’t eat a half a cup of dressing that fast, haha) the dressing seemed to curdle</I., I guess would be the word I'm looking for. It had a thick foam on the top after I had shaken it to redistribute the oil among the other ingredients.

Has this ever happened to you?

Lana August 9, 2010 at 7:17 pm

For sweet: strawberries, walnuts and a balsamic reduction….mmmmm!
For savory: roasted red peppers and chickpeas or hummus

tara August 9, 2010 at 7:25 pm

you should try mango, pecans and dried cranberries. SOOO good. I put it on spinach with goat’s cheese, but you could replace the cheese with your own dressing.

Liza @ Health Nutting August 9, 2010 at 7:26 pm

Love the mango! I’ve only had it many once or twice– I should try it more often!
I looove putting dried cherries or cranberries or raisins on salads. Also love toasted sesame seeds, almonds, or sunflower seeds. Mmmm salad :) Yours looks delish!

chelsey August 9, 2010 at 7:35 pm

ahahahaha i am not kidding you, that salad bowl compared to your little plate made me crack up! Soo hilarious and I will never judge you for it!

Joanna @ landanimal.wordpress.com August 9, 2010 at 7:39 pm

My new roommate is getting introduced to my green smoothie making. She raised an eyebrow but didn’t it looked gross (I had my brother doing that for the past 4 months). I know they look crazy, but green smoothies are the best. I don’t encourage others to try them and no one has asked much. But I wish they would. I would tell them how awesome green smoothies are and how much I crave them. They changed my life!

Kendra August 9, 2010 at 7:41 pm

I’m pretty sure that olives make almost everything 100% better. I rarely have a salad without them.

[email protected]://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 9, 2010 at 7:44 pm

Yummy veggie burger. I am totally on a veggie burger fix lately.

Maria @ Kale and Cupcakes August 9, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Beets, goat cheese, feta cheese, walnuts – all fave salad toppers of mine!

Lauren @ Eater not a runner August 9, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Raw corn, dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds, salsa, or even miso and honey. Yum!

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life August 9, 2010 at 7:54 pm

I have never thought to try mango on salads! I guess mainly because I’m from the camp of “fruit should not mix with savory items”, haha :) My faaaavorite thing to put on salads is avocados and sun dried tomatoes. Aaaamazingggg!

Shanna, Like Banana August 9, 2010 at 7:55 pm

Please inform me how you resisted leftover enchiladas today???

I like adding grilled marinated tofu to salads…yum!

Michelle @ Eatingjourney August 9, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Raisins, 1 TB of tomato paste w/ 1-2TB hummus, apples…seriously salads are where I dump whatever I have in it. I just LOVE salads because they have NO rules

Steph (Steph Runs the City) August 9, 2010 at 8:05 pm

i just bought a mango- now i know what i’m going to do with it! that salad looks delicious :)

Sonja August 9, 2010 at 8:05 pm

I had the world’s best salad (with some unusual toppings) a few weeks ago and have to share… pesto base spread on the bottom of the plate, topped by arugula, watermelon, pine nuts, and feta cheese. The watermelon had been doused with balsamic vinegar, so it was a perfect combination of sweet and tangy. OMG, it was heavenly. I was almost licking the plate!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 9, 2010 at 8:08 pm

I love cubed tofu. It is so delicious. Oh-and asparagus! And corn. Basically, put those three things on a salad and I will be a happy woman.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine August 9, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Mmm, I’d never thought to add mango to salad! My favorite unconventional topping is mustard. Sounds weird, but it’s delicious!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie August 9, 2010 at 8:13 pm

Mmm I love a good juicy mango. I always try to make them into recipes but I always end up leaning over the sink and eating them with my fingers, juice running down my elbows.

melissa (fitnessnyc) August 9, 2010 at 8:20 pm

mango, red globe grapes, goat cheese, plum, edammame, dates, golden raisins, brussels sprouts, sugar snap peas!

Sana August 9, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Have fun babysitting! How long are you and Eric staying in Chicago? I like to top my salads with almonds and cranberries!

banandrea August 9, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Blueberries are delicious on salads… I bet blueberries and mango would go together very nicely on a salad, actually! I also have to try tomato paste + hummus with the Amy’s Texas burger… very intriguing!

Sarah August 9, 2010 at 8:40 pm

I love using hummus or Bragg’s aminos as a salad dressing :) Super yummy!!

Danielle August 9, 2010 at 8:44 pm

I just recently discovered that I really like blueberries in my salad. They are so good!

Callie @ Callieflower Kitchen August 9, 2010 at 8:45 pm

For some reason the avocado in your salad looked like artichoke hearts to me, which I thought was a little bit of a strange combo at first but then started thinking about how the sweet + salty would be awesome.

Some of my favourite salad toppings are mango, dates, avocado, chopped almonds, raw mushrooms, grapes and sunflower seeds :)

Lauren August 9, 2010 at 8:47 pm

I bought two big juicy mangoes today, and I’m just going to have to try one of them on a salad! Lately I’ve really been loving fruit on salads, especially an apple pear (ever tried one?!?!) with gouda.

Dana in KC August 9, 2010 at 8:48 pm

I love to put cayenne pepper, cukes and apples on my salad. I had it once at a deli and have been hooked on it ever since. Just adding dried or fresh herbs can give a basic salad some kick without having to add to your dressing.

eatmovelove August 9, 2010 at 8:55 pm

Tomatoe paste on toast?…hmm, interesting…although I do like putting my spaghetti and sauce combined on a good slice of garlic bread :)

Ashley August 9, 2010 at 8:57 pm

I love baby spinach, lots of chickpeas, raisins (or dried cranberries), sunflower seeds, mushrooms and shredded beets. My current fav dressing is Annie’s Goddess Vegan Dressing. Yum!

Kiersten August 9, 2010 at 9:16 pm

My favorite salad toppings are chickpeas, fruits, and olives. By the way, I am now obsessed with the tomato paste and hummus combination because of you!

Angela August 9, 2010 at 9:25 pm

I’m not really a fan of fruit on my salads but chickpeas are probably my favorite salad topping!

Wei-Wei August 9, 2010 at 9:31 pm

I’m pretty sure that plain old salt and pepper makes everything better. Work its basic magic… Or maybe I’m just a salt-freak and unimaginative. :P

Wei-Wei

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' August 9, 2010 at 9:37 pm

I love mango, avocado, and green onions on salad together! It’s delicious with a soy-ginger vinaigrette!

My other salad toppings are pretty “boring,” but I almost NEVER get sick of them– cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and crunchy red bell peppers! I also enjoy fresh fruit on a bed of greens, particularly strawberries, bananas and blueberries on a bed of romaine with a squeeze of lemon juice! So refreshing! :D

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) August 9, 2010 at 9:51 pm

I used to make mango, avocado salads all the time!!! Now I’m more into the savory stuff like hummus, veggie burgers, quinoa, roasted veggie leftovers. Pretty much leftovers + greens = amazing lunch. Have fun babysitting!!

Maya August 9, 2010 at 9:53 pm

We have a salad at my work with a tropical mix of citrus fruit, mango, and papaya. I loveee mangOHs!

I don’t know why leftovers get a bad rap, either. I love not having to think twice about a meal and still eat something delicious.

Olive August 9, 2010 at 9:59 pm

A restaurant here has a Nutty Cheese Salad on the menu. It sounds crazy, but it is really good. The salad is topped with sliced bananas, cheddar and fontina cheeses, sunflower seeds, almonds, cashews, avocado and tomatoes, with honey mustard dressing. I get the strangest looks from people when I put bananas on my salads now.

Lauren @ Fun, Fit, and Fabulous! August 9, 2010 at 10:10 pm

I absolutely love soy beans, avocado, and golden raisens on my salad!! They are so delicious and nutritious! What more could you ask for?

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf August 9, 2010 at 10:22 pm

I think one of the best salads I ever made for myself included spinach, pomegranate arils, clementines, and deli sliced turkey. It was too good to explain!

Rachel (@Smile Out Loud) August 9, 2010 at 11:09 pm

I LOVE mangoes on my salads! Hmm…favorite salad topping? That’s really hard! I’d say my top picks are pomengranate seeds, cranberries, plums, strawberries, watermelon, blueberries (I guess I like fruit in my salads), and the list goes on and on :D

Alexa @ Sohdalex August 9, 2010 at 11:51 pm

Mango is amazing in more then just salad!!! ~ Next time you make curry try adding fresh mango to it 5 mins before serving. Whenever I make Thai red curry I love adding mango to it at the end whenever I have it on hand. ALSO a cucumber slaw with sesame seeds and a vingaer-vinegrette would also be heavenly with chopped mango. Ha, I have a slight obsession with the fruit ;)

Mama Pea August 10, 2010 at 12:08 am

My favorite salad topping combo is tahini, barbecue sauce and almonds. I know, weird. But incredible.

Katherine August 10, 2010 at 12:37 am

Last week I had leftover fish tacos that I made into a salad. I used a little bit of peach mango salsa as dressing! I also have been known to top a salad with hummus as dressing.

Casey Thomas August 10, 2010 at 1:51 am

Hi Angela,

I also LOVE mango in salads! I actually just blogged with my fave mango salad recipe recently! I think you’ll love it :)

Hope you can give it a try and enjoy it! I can’t get enough!! :)

Casey

Little Aspects August 10, 2010 at 2:03 am

I’m a fan of adding a fruit and a nut to my salad – thinly sliced green apple and walnuts on top of rocket – dress with a caramelised balsamic vinegar dressing, peach and pecan nuts atop baby spinach – dress with a red wine vinaigrette, and thinly sliced orange and toasted macadamia nuts (and shaved coconut) atop cos lettuce are some of my favourites.

Crystal August 10, 2010 at 2:18 am

Have you had mango in stirfries? Especially in curry, it is delicious! Mango & cashew is a great combo.

There is this goat cheese that has been rolled in cranberries that I just can’t get enough of!

Marina August 10, 2010 at 2:26 am

I love mango, but I never thought it would be good in a salad! I should try this. I like crunchy stuff on top, like seeds, maybe some roasted almonds, and poppy seeds! They go great with everything

Johanna August 10, 2010 at 3:16 am

Oh, I just LOVE walnuts, pears, avocado and celery on a big, huge salad, with some honey and lemonjuice on top… YUM!

And yeah, I tride the In A Jiffy Veggie Pie, doing a little remake as you suggested. puttng hummus on bottom, then the vegetablestuff and putted some tomate sauce on top. It turned out great! I had one piece for dinner at sunday, and one piece for lunch AND dinner yesterday. Pure awesomeness! (and it works like a charm to put in the freezer!)

JL Goes Vegan August 10, 2010 at 4:35 am

LOVE mango. I like to use kale or collard greens for my salad base. In a small bowl I’ll mix beans or lentils with something sweet (date syrup, agave or maple syrup) and a bit of vinegar, dried coconut and seeds. Then I use a cayenne pepper or something else with zing.

Salina August 10, 2010 at 4:38 am

Best combo ever: Chicken, Cashews, Avocado with Puree’d Mango Dressing.. DELISH!

Jenn @ So Very Fit August 10, 2010 at 5:31 am

I may be pretty boring, but my fave things to put in salads are avocado and grape tomatoes!

I”ve never tried mango on a salad, but it certainly looks good here. I need to try it out.

Annie D @ Annie's Simple Life August 10, 2010 at 6:19 am

Mango is my favorite fruit!

holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 10, 2010 at 6:59 am

I love any leftovers on a big salad! Plus any fruit or veggie :)

Mangos are so delicious, I don’t know if I’ve ever had them on a salad before!

AdrienneCarolyn August 10, 2010 at 7:11 am

Favorite things on a sald hmm….huge globs of hummus and pesto!! Also, any leftover quinoa or lentil dish…basically put anything in a huge bowl and I’l eat it!! :-)

Angela – Have you finished the book yet?? I finished Eat, Pray, Love last night and I am actually looking forward to the movie! Usually the movies never do the books justice but I think Julia Roberts will be great! LOVED the book :-)

Jes August 10, 2010 at 7:32 am

I love green olives. They have to be on the right salad though, or else their flavor is really out of place!

jassy August 10, 2010 at 7:51 am

for a salad…i would like to try tomato, lettuce, onion, chicken, hummus, squash :)

the day has yet to come when i’ll finally try the green monster :)

Veronique August 10, 2010 at 8:53 am

Mmmm your entire menu for the day looks delish! I love toasted bread on a rainy and poopy day. The mango salad is a great idea! I’ve never tried it but I think I want to now :P.
You should try peaches, I just bought a bunch and they are super sweet right now as they are in season. However, my all time fav in a salad are fresh, sweet strawberries. They pair greatly with pecans or walnuts. :)

Tanya August 10, 2010 at 9:34 am

My usual salad has cucumbers, black beans or kidney beans, walnuts or almonds, wheat berries, strawberries, blueberries and blackberries, tomato, and topped with a raspberry vinaigrette.

Holly @ Self-love and Running August 10, 2010 at 9:48 am

I LOVE leftovers! I make big meals just so that we have leftovers!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 10, 2010 at 9:53 am

I love mango and avocado on salads! That combo tastes great with some cilantro thrown in there too.

Some of my other favourite toppings are beets, pineapple, dried cranberries, and goat cheese!

Mac August 10, 2010 at 9:55 am

I STILL haven’t tried the green monster yet, but it is on my list of things to try… now I just need to get to the grochery store and purchase my goods!

k8 August 10, 2010 at 9:57 am

strawberries with balsamic vinegar on salads. YUUUMMMMMM!

Lisa August 10, 2010 at 11:08 am

My favorite salad of all time has mangos and is SO good. Romaine, Arugula, shaved parmesan, mangos, two virgins dressing (lemon juice and olive oil w/black pepper) and walnuts.

Amber K August 10, 2010 at 11:24 am

I don’t top my salads with anything unusual. It’s pretty much always, a pile of veggies, with beans, and seeds.

Ali August 10, 2010 at 11:50 am

That mango salad looks great! I love mango in anything. I have a hard time cutting them up though- any tips?

Gail August 10, 2010 at 1:30 pm

I like adding cold rice and black beans or pinto beans along with marinated mushrooms and olives – yum! It’s a whole meal in one. I also love any fruit and nut/seed in a salad.

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe August 10, 2010 at 2:07 pm

So much good stuff in this post! I chuckled when I saw your salad bowl looming next to your tiny plate. Then I busted up laughing when I saw the next pic – so funny:)

I am totally with you on the green monsters, too. They are such a huge part of my diet now, I don’t know how I ever lived without them! I still can’t get my mom to try it…and it drives me crazy! I’m still working on her though…

Kari August 10, 2010 at 4:02 pm

I get most excited about my salads whenever they contain any of the following:

Baked (and cubed) sweet potatoes
Avocado
Quinoa
Pistachios
Marinated Mushrooms and/or broccoli
Tahini Dressing
Kalmata olives
Boca Crumbles (usually a “taco” salad with salsa as the dressing, yumm)

Of course not ALL at the same time, the combinations have to work, but whenever my salad has any of these ingredients, it makes life a little more fun for me :)

Jessie August 10, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Just like the comments you are talking about, I would like to share that I tried my very first Green Monster today! It looked visually unappealing but tasted delicious! I am so excited to try new variations tomorrow and experiment with the ingredients. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful idea!

Maria August 11, 2010 at 2:20 am

I LOVED Green Monsters, and the energy they gave me, but I have one huge problem with them. I should not eat bananas anymore (sensitivity to them), and can’t figure out what to put in instead. So I’ve had to give them up. So sad…