Mang-OH

Hello :)

Today was the perfect day for a rest day off exercise as it just happened to be crazy humid and rainy all day. I love when my rest days coincide with bad weather days. Sometimes the stars just align. ;)

Meet my newest obsession: Mango on Salad.

IMG_5783

Oh dear me. How have I never had mango on a salad before?

I know I said cherries are my favourite fruit, but after eating an insanely delicious and juicy mango today, I’m not so sure anymore.

IMG_0086

It’s a close call.

I am willing to do hundreds of taste tests to determine the winner. If anyone knows of any fruit taste-offs, please give them my name.

Along with my avocado, romaine, and mang-OH salad (topped with Better than Bottled Balsamic vinaigrette), I had some Ezekiel bread toasted with tomato paste and leftover black bean + squash Enchilada filling from last night. It was divine!

IMG_5777

IMG_5778

I don’t know why leftovers get such a bad rep. I LOVE leftovers!

To me, leftovers = time saver = quick and easy lunches.

IMG_5779

I present to you my INSANELY large salad bowl. Only fit for the most insane salad lover. ;)

IMG_5784 IMG_5790

The picture on the right kind of reminds me of this… ;)

Great Dane

[Source]

It should also be known that, occasionally, I eat salad straight from the salad spinner bowl. I’m about 6 years in etiquette school away from drinking tea with the Queen. Baby steps.

My afternoon snack was some delicious green fuel courtesy of the Green Monster. I still get emails almost every day from new Green Monster fans. Everyone starts the email off with ‘I can’t believe I waited this long to try one’ or ‘They looked so gross, BUT now I love them…’ :)

I can’t go more than a couple days without having one!

IMG_5791

In the chocolate cherry banana kale GM: 1 cup almond milk, 1/2 scoop Amazing Grass chocolate powder, 1 frozen banana, 3 kale leaves, 1 tbsp chia seeds, 1/4 cup frozen cherries, 1 tbsp cocoa powder.

IMG_5793

Sluuurrrrp.

Dinner was as quick as it gets…

IMG_5469

An Amy’s Texas burger, hummus, t-paste, and Ezekiel bread.

IMG_5468

I am off to clean up the kitchen, start packing for the Chicago trip, and then I am going to babysit my niece and nephew with Eric.

Tonight’s question: What are your favourite toppings to put on salads? Anything unusual that just works?

Page 3 of 3«123
Maria August 11, 2010

I LOVED Green Monsters, and the energy they gave me, but I have one huge problem with them. I should not eat bananas anymore (sensitivity to them), and can’t figure out what to put in instead. So I’ve had to give them up. So sad…

Jessie August 10, 2010

Just like the comments you are talking about, I would like to share that I tried my very first Green Monster today! It looked visually unappealing but tasted delicious! I am so excited to try new variations tomorrow and experiment with the ingredients. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful idea!

Kari August 10, 2010

I get most excited about my salads whenever they contain any of the following:

Baked (and cubed) sweet potatoes
Avocado
Quinoa
Pistachios
Marinated Mushrooms and/or broccoli
Tahini Dressing
Kalmata olives
Boca Crumbles (usually a “taco” salad with salsa as the dressing, yumm)

Of course not ALL at the same time, the combinations have to work, but whenever my salad has any of these ingredients, it makes life a little more fun for me :)

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe August 10, 2010

So much good stuff in this post! I chuckled when I saw your salad bowl looming next to your tiny plate. Then I busted up laughing when I saw the next pic – so funny:)

I am totally with you on the green monsters, too. They are such a huge part of my diet now, I don’t know how I ever lived without them! I still can’t get my mom to try it…and it drives me crazy! I’m still working on her though…

Gail August 10, 2010

I like adding cold rice and black beans or pinto beans along with marinated mushrooms and olives – yum! It’s a whole meal in one. I also love any fruit and nut/seed in a salad.

Ali August 10, 2010

That mango salad looks great! I love mango in anything. I have a hard time cutting them up though- any tips?

Amber K August 10, 2010

I don’t top my salads with anything unusual. It’s pretty much always, a pile of veggies, with beans, and seeds.

Lisa August 10, 2010

My favorite salad of all time has mangos and is SO good. Romaine, Arugula, shaved parmesan, mangos, two virgins dressing (lemon juice and olive oil w/black pepper) and walnuts.

k8 August 10, 2010

strawberries with balsamic vinegar on salads. YUUUMMMMMM!

Mac August 10, 2010

I STILL haven’t tried the green monster yet, but it is on my list of things to try… now I just need to get to the grochery store and purchase my goods!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 10, 2010

I love mango and avocado on salads! That combo tastes great with some cilantro thrown in there too.

Some of my other favourite toppings are beets, pineapple, dried cranberries, and goat cheese!

Holly @ Self-love and Running August 10, 2010

I LOVE leftovers! I make big meals just so that we have leftovers!

Tanya August 10, 2010

My usual salad has cucumbers, black beans or kidney beans, walnuts or almonds, wheat berries, strawberries, blueberries and blackberries, tomato, and topped with a raspberry vinaigrette.

Veronique August 10, 2010

Mmmm your entire menu for the day looks delish! I love toasted bread on a rainy and poopy day. The mango salad is a great idea! I’ve never tried it but I think I want to now :P.
You should try peaches, I just bought a bunch and they are super sweet right now as they are in season. However, my all time fav in a salad are fresh, sweet strawberries. They pair greatly with pecans or walnuts. :)