No Regrets

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 8, 2010

Good evening!

It was a productive day, albeit not very restful, but for some reason I feel really rejuvenated. Strange. Must be this summer weather giving me an extra kick to my step.

I spent the morning cleaning and doing laundry and then I spent the afternoon baking Glo Bars. I have about 300 Glo Bars to bake + ship out by the time I leave for Chicago. We have a lot going on this week with Eric’s birthday and family coming to visit, so I need to bite the bullet with work to make sure everything gets done on time. I feel a lot better after crossing off 8 orders today.

After work, I prepared dinner! I was so excited for this dinner tonight. :)

IMG_5704

Black Bean and Summer Squash Enchiladas (Take II)

Adapted from Fat Free Vegan. See my other version here.

Ingredients:

• 1 medium onion, chopped fine
  • 2 cloves garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 cup green or red bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 patty pan squash, diced (or zucchini or yellow squash)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans, well rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
  • 2 teaspoons lime juice
  • 1.25-1.5 cups enchilada sauce (or tomato sauce)
  • 4 corn tortillas
  • chopped green onions, for serving
  • Mae’s humnut cheese sauce (or cheese of choice)

Directions: Preheat oven to 350F and oil a baking dish. Throw chopped onion into a large pot and heat until caramelized, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes on medium heat. Add in the chopped pepper, chopped squash, beans, and all seasonings and cook for about 3-4 minutes on medium heat. Take a baking dish and pour about 1/2 cup of pasta or enchilada sauce onto bottom of dish. Now take 4 tortillas, one at a time, and fill with mixture, dividing it up evenly between the 4 tortillas. Wrap tortillas and place into dish, fold side down. Cover the tortillas with the remaining enchilada veggie/bean mixture and place into the oven uncovered at 350F for about 25 minutes. While it is cooking prepare the vegan cheese sauce and then drizzle it over the enchiladas before serving. You can also bake them with the sauce on top like I did tonight. Makes 4 servings.

IMG_5695

A great use for summer squash! We got a few more patty pan squash in this week’s CSA so I was excited to be able to use them in this recipe.

IMG_5696

It was a tight squeeze for 4 tortillas, but I made it work. ;)

IMG_5699

Make sure you roll them and place them fold side down so they stay in place.

IMG_5700

Now pour sauce over top along with the cheeze sauce (or your preferred cheese).

IMG_5703

I sprinkled with a bit more veggies for some colour.

Now bake!

Eric suggested we go for a quick bike-run while we anxiously waited for dinner. It was another beautiful day outside so we took advantage of the weather- him on wheels, me on foot. ;)

The Can’t-wait-for-Enchiladas Run:

• Distance: 3 miles
  • Time: 25:45 mins
  • Avg pace: 8:34 min/mile

Mile splits:

• Mile 1: 9:12
  • Mile 2: 8:19
  • Mile 3: 8:11

I was feeling speedy today and my legs felt great! I love runs like that. We talked a lot about our upcoming Chicago trip and what we want to see and do while there.

Just as we rolled in, the timer was going off…

IMG_5709

I turned the oven off, quickly showered and in 10 minutes we were eating a delicious meal.

IMG_5717

IMG_5721

IMG_5725

Two thumbs up!

We went back for more and split another one.

On the side we had a simple romaine salad with carrots, tomato, green pepper, and sesame seeds:

IMG_5741

MmmmmmMMmMMmmmMMMMMmmmmmm. lol.

IMG_5750

I will cry when cherries are no longer in season. They are my absolute favourite fruit. (I just got an urge to make my first healthy cherry pie….will have to try that out someday).

IMG_5754

I had two bowls and the second bowl put me over my limit…but in a good way of course. ;) I have never regretted eating a single cherry, even if I am rocking a cherry baby right now.

I can hear the dishes faintly screaming my name. I’m trying to ignore them though (it’s not very hard). I am going to go outside and help Eric with some yard work. Hoping to end the weekend with Eat Pray Love and Lie To Me. We are 1 episode away from being caught up to this current season. The show just gets better and better, I don’t know how they do it! I even like it better than 24.

Nighty Night :) Until tomorrow mes amies.

Heather (Heather's Dish) August 8, 2010 at 7:04 pm

i love that i can always come here to find the most COLORFUL and fresh meals ever! this sounds amazing…i’m surprised you could stop at just one and a half! i would have wanted the whole thing :)

[email protected] August 8, 2010 at 7:04 pm

I know how you feel about the cherries. I always love summer produce but this year, for some reason, I am loving it a million times more and not sure how I will live without its local goodness come winter!

Paige @ Running Around Normal August 8, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Mmm I love making enchiladas with Ezekiel tortillas. In my opinion the best kind to make em with! I dearly love cherries as well. Gotta freeze so you can have them in the winter!

Karen August 8, 2010 at 7:19 pm

How random! I was just wondering this afternoon how squash would pair with black beans. I have been getting lots of squash from my CSA too. I will have to give this a try! Now, just need some ideas for all this okra… :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 8, 2010 at 7:26 pm

These look fabulous! No doubt much much better than anything you’d find in any greasy Mexican place. :P

And I noticed your adding little French phrases in your posts- must be getting excited! :D

Bridget August 8, 2010 at 7:30 pm

I say, when it comes to cherries, there is no such thing as too many ;) I love those things in the summer!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 8, 2010 at 7:32 pm

I loved your first version of this recipe so much! I did change it up because I made it with my guy friend who is a huge meat eater so I just added chicken and then put real cheese on top. It was absolutely perfect for the both of us.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is August 8, 2010 at 7:39 pm

I love enchiladas – we eat them almost weekly in our house – so those look fab!

Courtney (Delightful Devours) August 8, 2010 at 7:40 pm

I agree with Heather. You always have the most amazing colorful dishes! I love it!

The Wife of a Dairyman August 8, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Your enchiladas look fabulous! Worth the wait:)

Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul August 8, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Wow, you are super fast! I notice that you speed up a lot in your later miles. Is that intentional or does it just happen?

AngelaOSG August 9, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Its intentional. I did a post on running negative splits a little while ago :)

Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul August 9, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Ahhh! Just read it and learned a lot. Thanks! Might try a negative split tomorrow ;-)

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) August 8, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Great idea to work out while they’re cooking–that way you don’t spoil your appetite! I do that when I roast beets in the toaster oven since it takes about an hour or so.

Dani @ Body By Nature August 8, 2010 at 7:45 pm

Will definitely be making those enchiladas!

a August 8, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Hey,

Your enchiladas look delicious and they inspired ME ( yes thats me ) to make my own version . I am not vegan but it doesn’t mean I can’t get inspiration from vegan recipes. Thanks for the awesome recipes.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 8, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Oh my word-that is a whole lot of enchilada goodness on that screen. Your recipes always look so delicious!!

holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 8, 2010 at 8:03 pm

Those enchys look fantastic — and so do the cherries. I love summer fruit.

Great run as well – your negative splits are amazing!

[email protected]://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 8, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Wow you had such a productive day. Glad you could check off some stuff and relieve some of the stress. \Dinner looked so goo.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine August 8, 2010 at 8:07 pm

Anything that includes humnut sauce is delicious in my book…and who doesn’t love cherries? Hope you’re having a wonderful evening!

Shanna, Like Banana August 8, 2010 at 8:11 pm

Oh. Dear. Me. Those look great!

You can send them to
Shanna, ## Somewhere St., Sunnyvale, CA ;)

I’m sure they’ll be fine in the mail!

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life August 8, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Those look great! I love enchiladas and I’m always up for learning how to make them healthier, so thanks :-D

Karla August 8, 2010 at 8:22 pm

I made a VERY similar enchilada dish today too! I made the tortillas myself! Wayy better than greasy Mexican restaurants! Black beans are definitely my favorite bean!

tanyadaily at your best advice August 8, 2010 at 8:24 pm

reiner cherries are my favortite

caronae August 8, 2010 at 8:35 pm

I haven’t had an enchilada in forever! These look amazing though. I love healthfied Mexican foods.

It’s the best when you can squeeze in a run or workout in the middle of something else. I’m all for getting lots of stuff done at once!

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) August 8, 2010 at 8:38 pm

I love dishes like this because they are both hearty and comforting — I make a similar recipe with sweet potatoes and black beans instead of squash but I’m definitely going to try squash next time. Yum!

[email protected] August 8, 2010 at 8:47 pm

if i ever won the lottery id try my best to buy you as my personal chef! lol… ud probably not be down for that but if it meant id get food like this, i certainly would :D

and cherries are the perfect summer complement <3

xoxo

*Andrea* August 8, 2010 at 8:47 pm

yum this meal looks so comforting and delicious!

cherries are my favorite too!!! my mom buys like 3 bags a week and i think i’m eating the majority of them. the white/pink/yellow hybrid colored ones are my favorite

banandrea August 8, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Fantastic looking enchiladadas, I’m definitely going to have to try out that recipe! Very fresh looking.

Adina August 8, 2010 at 9:15 pm

All your meals are so colorful! They’re a pleasure to my stomach and eyes :) I really like all your silverware, plates, cups, bowls etc. and was wondering if you could tell me where you purchase all these awesome dishware pieces!

Gracias :)

Janna August 8, 2010 at 9:21 pm

I have never made enchiladas before but have always wanted to try! Yours look de-licious!!!

I really need to go and by the Eat Pray Love book. I think I;m going to tomorrow evening as a present to myself for finally submitting my grad school application!!!

chelsey August 8, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Yay for Chicago! I can’t remember if you’ve said you’ve been here before. You will love it. I may be biased, but it is the best city EVER!

Those enchiladas look absolutey amazing.!!

I will also cry when cherries are out of season. They will be appearing in my overnight oats tomorrow! Yum!

Gina August 8, 2010 at 9:38 pm

I shall be making those enchiladas soon! So yummy looking.

Julia August 8, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Hope you get a chance to check out some of the great vegetarian/vegan restaurants while here in Chicago, such as The Chicago Diner and Karyn’s (she has both a raw and “cooked” location). It’s a great city (albeit heavy on hot dogs and deep dish pizza ;)), and I’m sure you’ll have a wonderful time!

Gree August 8, 2010 at 10:08 pm

These enchilada’s look really great, I love Mexican food in summertime, it just seems so perfect. And healthy Mexican is even better!

Maria @ Kale and Cupcakes August 8, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Hey Angela! There are TONS of things to do in Chicago! I think these may have been mentioned before, but Karyn’s and Cousin’s and Chicago Diner are just a few places you may want to check out.

Amber K August 8, 2010 at 11:04 pm

I’m dreading when the strawberries leave me. Frozen strawberries are nice sometimes, but fresh is always the best!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) August 8, 2010 at 11:19 pm

ooooh what a great combo of flavours!

Lizz @ Leading the Good Life August 8, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Those look so good! I love how you can make vegetarian enchiladas that aren’t just stuffed with cheese. The restaurants near me need to get this message! The vegetarian options are usually stuffed with cheese AND topped with cheese. Yikes.

sarah August 8, 2010 at 11:29 pm

Oh my goodness!
I am so hungry atm. Still at uni, but couldn’t resist checking your blog. Now I really can’t wait till 7pm tonight. I have 2 and a half hours to go till dinner.

Mama Pea August 9, 2010 at 12:40 am

Pea Daddy bought me Eat, Pray, Love over the weekend to read as a result of you. Thank you.

Camille August 9, 2010 at 1:04 am

Gorgeous and fresh looking dinner!
I’m craving some enchiladas now :)

Wei-Wei August 9, 2010 at 1:50 am

MmmmmmMMMmmmmmMMmm. I had enchiladas for the FIRST time two days ago (shocking, I know) and they were, needless to say, not the healthiest thing in the world. I love how you can healthify everything :)

Wei-Wei

jassy August 9, 2010 at 4:48 am

i better read about eat, pray, and love :)

Amanda August 9, 2010 at 7:24 am

Yumm! I just wanted to tell you that I baked your Cherry Coconut Banana Bread and it was amazing!! Best thing I have ever made and my family enjoyed it just as much! You are a food genius!

Elizabeth August 9, 2010 at 8:59 am

What kind of enchilada sauce so you use or do you make your own? I have yet to find a prepared red enchilada sauce I like.

AngelaOSG August 9, 2010 at 5:44 pm

I use pasta sauce :) PC brand organic.

Heather @ Side of Sneakers August 9, 2010 at 10:30 am

I made a version of these a month or so ago and they were SO good- I loved the uniqueness of the squash in the enchiladas!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 9, 2010 at 11:14 am

I’ve only bought cherries once so far this summer! I always forget how much I like them until I eat them!

Lisa August 9, 2010 at 12:02 pm

I am saving this post to try the recipe. It looks delicious!

Jasmine (Sweet and Fit) August 9, 2010 at 12:50 pm

this looks amazing! I just got some summer squash from the farmer’s market and was looking for a new recipe to try – because I didn’t just want to grill it, I love all your health-ified meals =)

Marathon Bound Gal aka Grace August 9, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Yummy, never would’ve thought to make chiladas with squash. I can’t wait to try this one out!! Oh I determined as well last night that it will be sad when fresh cherries are no longer in season. I love them and actually the only way I’ll eat them. Yum!

Veronica August 10, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Your photography is looking AMAZING…great job! What lens are you currently using? Sorry if you’ve already answered this.

Marie montes August 15, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Great ideas I will try some of them.

Beverly August 16, 2010 at 1:16 am

I love black beans and “Mexican” food in general, so this is a recipe I am interested in trying. Impressed that you could fix the meal and go out for a run! I would be worrying over other things in the house, and when I got back my appetite would be gone. Thanks for sharing, have fun on your trip, and go see Eat Pray Love, I add it to my list of favorite movies!

Erin May 7, 2013 at 1:06 pm

These were great, very light and delish!