No Regrets

Good evening!

It was a productive day, albeit not very restful, but for some reason I feel really rejuvenated. Strange. Must be this summer weather giving me an extra kick to my step.

I spent the morning cleaning and doing laundry and then I spent the afternoon baking Glo Bars. I have about 300 Glo Bars to bake + ship out by the time I leave for Chicago. We have a lot going on this week with Eric’s birthday and family coming to visit, so I need to bite the bullet with work to make sure everything gets done on time. I feel a lot better after crossing off 8 orders today.

After work, I prepared dinner! I was so excited for this dinner tonight. :)

IMG 5704 thumb   No Regrets

Black Bean and Summer Squash Enchiladas (Take II)

Adapted from Fat Free Vegan. See my other version here.

Ingredients:

• 1 medium onion, chopped fine
  • 2 cloves garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/2 cup green or red bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 patty pan squash, diced (or zucchini or yellow squash)
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans, well rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
  • 2 teaspoons lime juice
  • 1.25-1.5 cups enchilada sauce (or tomato sauce)
  • 4 corn tortillas
  • chopped green onions, for serving
  • Mae’s humnut cheese sauce (or cheese of choice)

Directions: Preheat oven to 350F and oil a baking dish. Throw chopped onion into a large pot and heat until caramelized, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes on medium heat. Add in the chopped pepper, chopped squash, beans, and all seasonings and cook for about 3-4 minutes on medium heat. Take a baking dish and pour about 1/2 cup of pasta or enchilada sauce onto bottom of dish. Now take 4 tortillas, one at a time, and fill with mixture, dividing it up evenly between the 4 tortillas. Wrap tortillas and place into dish, fold side down. Cover the tortillas with the remaining enchilada veggie/bean mixture and place into the oven uncovered at 350F for about 25 minutes. While it is cooking prepare the vegan cheese sauce and then drizzle it over the enchiladas before serving. You can also bake them with the sauce on top like I did tonight. Makes 4 servings.

IMG 5695 thumb   No Regrets

A great use for summer squash! We got a few more patty pan squash in this week’s CSA so I was excited to be able to use them in this recipe.

IMG 5696 thumb   No Regrets

It was a tight squeeze for 4 tortillas, but I made it work. ;)

IMG 5699 thumb   No Regrets

Make sure you roll them and place them fold side down so they stay in place.

IMG 5700 thumb   No Regrets

Now pour sauce over top along with the cheeze sauce (or your preferred cheese).

IMG 5703 thumb   No Regrets

I sprinkled with a bit more veggies for some colour.

Now bake!

Eric suggested we go for a quick bike-run while we anxiously waited for dinner. It was another beautiful day outside so we took advantage of the weather- him on wheels, me on foot. ;)

The Can’t-wait-for-Enchiladas Run:

• Distance: 3 miles
  • Time: 25:45 mins
  • Avg pace: 8:34 min/mile

Mile splits:

• Mile 1: 9:12
  • Mile 2: 8:19
  • Mile 3: 8:11

I was feeling speedy today and my legs felt great! I love runs like that. We talked a lot about our upcoming Chicago trip and what we want to see and do while there.

Just as we rolled in, the timer was going off…

IMG 5709 thumb   No Regrets

I turned the oven off, quickly showered and in 10 minutes we were eating a delicious meal.

IMG 5717 thumb   No Regrets

IMG 5721 thumb   No Regrets

IMG 5725 thumb   No Regrets

Two thumbs up!

We went back for more and split another one.

On the side we had a simple romaine salad with carrots, tomato, green pepper, and sesame seeds:

IMG 5741 thumb   No Regrets

MmmmmmMMmMMmmmMMMMMmmmmmm. lol.

IMG 5750 thumb   No Regrets

I will cry when cherries are no longer in season. They are my absolute favourite fruit. (I just got an urge to make my first healthy cherry pie….will have to try that out someday).

IMG 5754 thumb   No Regrets

I had two bowls and the second bowl put me over my limit…but in a good way of course. ;) I have never regretted eating a single cherry, even if I am rocking a cherry baby right now.

I can hear the dishes faintly screaming my name. I’m trying to ignore them though (it’s not very hard). I am going to go outside and help Eric with some yard work. Hoping to end the weekend with Eat Pray Love and Lie To Me. We are 1 episode away from being caught up to this current season. The show just gets better and better, I don’t know how they do it! I even like it better than 24.

Nighty Night :) Until tomorrow mes amies.

Heather (Heather's Dish) August 8, 2010

i love that i can always come here to find the most COLORFUL and fresh meals ever! this sounds amazing…i’m surprised you could stop at just one and a half! i would have wanted the whole thing :)

Meghan@travelwinedine August 8, 2010

I know how you feel about the cherries. I always love summer produce but this year, for some reason, I am loving it a million times more and not sure how I will live without its local goodness come winter!

Paige @ Running Around Normal August 8, 2010

Mmm I love making enchiladas with Ezekiel tortillas. In my opinion the best kind to make em with! I dearly love cherries as well. Gotta freeze so you can have them in the winter!

Karen August 8, 2010

How random! I was just wondering this afternoon how squash would pair with black beans. I have been getting lots of squash from my CSA too. I will have to give this a try! Now, just need some ideas for all this okra… :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 8, 2010

These look fabulous! No doubt much much better than anything you’d find in any greasy Mexican place. :P

And I noticed your adding little French phrases in your posts- must be getting excited! :D

Bridget August 8, 2010

I say, when it comes to cherries, there is no such thing as too many ;) I love those things in the summer!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 8, 2010

I loved your first version of this recipe so much! I did change it up because I made it with my guy friend who is a huge meat eater so I just added chicken and then put real cheese on top. It was absolutely perfect for the both of us.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is August 8, 2010

I love enchiladas – we eat them almost weekly in our house – so those look fab!

Courtney (Delightful Devours) August 8, 2010

I agree with Heather. You always have the most amazing colorful dishes! I love it!

The Wife of a Dairyman August 8, 2010

Your enchiladas look fabulous! Worth the wait:)

Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul August 8, 2010

Wow, you are super fast! I notice that you speed up a lot in your later miles. Is that intentional or does it just happen?

AngelaOSG August 9, 2010

Its intentional. I did a post on running negative splits a little while ago :)

Ashley @ Nourishing the Soul August 9, 2010

Ahhh! Just read it and learned a lot. Thanks! Might try a negative split tomorrow ;-)

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) August 8, 2010

Great idea to work out while they’re cooking–that way you don’t spoil your appetite! I do that when I roast beets in the toaster oven since it takes about an hour or so.

Dani @ Body By Nature August 8, 2010

Will definitely be making those enchiladas!

a August 8, 2010

Hey,

Your enchiladas look delicious and they inspired ME ( yes thats me ) to make my own version . I am not vegan but it doesn’t mean I can’t get inspiration from vegan recipes. Thanks for the awesome recipes.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 8, 2010

Oh my word-that is a whole lot of enchilada goodness on that screen. Your recipes always look so delicious!!

holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 8, 2010

Those enchys look fantastic — and so do the cherries. I love summer fruit.

Great run as well – your negative splits are amazing!

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 8, 2010

Wow you had such a productive day. Glad you could check off some stuff and relieve some of the stress. \Dinner looked so goo.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine August 8, 2010

Anything that includes humnut sauce is delicious in my book…and who doesn’t love cherries? Hope you’re having a wonderful evening!

Shanna, Like Banana August 8, 2010

Oh. Dear. Me. Those look great!

You can send them to
Shanna, ## Somewhere St., Sunnyvale, CA ;)

I’m sure they’ll be fine in the mail!

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life August 8, 2010

Those look great! I love enchiladas and I’m always up for learning how to make them healthier, so thanks :-D

Karla August 8, 2010

I made a VERY similar enchilada dish today too! I made the tortillas myself! Wayy better than greasy Mexican restaurants! Black beans are definitely my favorite bean!

tanyadaily at your best advice August 8, 2010

reiner cherries are my favortite

caronae August 8, 2010

I haven’t had an enchilada in forever! These look amazing though. I love healthfied Mexican foods.

It’s the best when you can squeeze in a run or workout in the middle of something else. I’m all for getting lots of stuff done at once!

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) August 8, 2010

I love dishes like this because they are both hearty and comforting — I make a similar recipe with sweet potatoes and black beans instead of squash but I’m definitely going to try squash next time. Yum!

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com August 8, 2010

if i ever won the lottery id try my best to buy you as my personal chef! lol… ud probably not be down for that but if it meant id get food like this, i certainly would :D

and cherries are the perfect summer complement <3

xoxo

*Andrea* August 8, 2010

yum this meal looks so comforting and delicious!

cherries are my favorite too!!! my mom buys like 3 bags a week and i think i’m eating the majority of them. the white/pink/yellow hybrid colored ones are my favorite

banandrea August 8, 2010

Fantastic looking enchiladadas, I’m definitely going to have to try out that recipe! Very fresh looking.

Adina August 8, 2010

All your meals are so colorful! They’re a pleasure to my stomach and eyes :) I really like all your silverware, plates, cups, bowls etc. and was wondering if you could tell me where you purchase all these awesome dishware pieces!

Gracias :)

Janna August 8, 2010

I have never made enchiladas before but have always wanted to try! Yours look de-licious!!!

I really need to go and by the Eat Pray Love book. I think I;m going to tomorrow evening as a present to myself for finally submitting my grad school application!!!

chelsey August 8, 2010

Yay for Chicago! I can’t remember if you’ve said you’ve been here before. You will love it. I may be biased, but it is the best city EVER!

Those enchiladas look absolutey amazing.!!

I will also cry when cherries are out of season. They will be appearing in my overnight oats tomorrow! Yum!

Gina August 8, 2010

I shall be making those enchiladas soon! So yummy looking.

Julia August 8, 2010

Hope you get a chance to check out some of the great vegetarian/vegan restaurants while here in Chicago, such as The Chicago Diner and Karyn’s (she has both a raw and “cooked” location). It’s a great city (albeit heavy on hot dogs and deep dish pizza ;)), and I’m sure you’ll have a wonderful time!

Gree August 8, 2010

These enchilada’s look really great, I love Mexican food in summertime, it just seems so perfect. And healthy Mexican is even better!

Maria @ Kale and Cupcakes August 8, 2010

Hey Angela! There are TONS of things to do in Chicago! I think these may have been mentioned before, but Karyn’s and Cousin’s and Chicago Diner are just a few places you may want to check out.

Amber K August 8, 2010

I’m dreading when the strawberries leave me. Frozen strawberries are nice sometimes, but fresh is always the best!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) August 8, 2010

ooooh what a great combo of flavours!

Lizz @ Leading the Good Life August 8, 2010

Those look so good! I love how you can make vegetarian enchiladas that aren’t just stuffed with cheese. The restaurants near me need to get this message! The vegetarian options are usually stuffed with cheese AND topped with cheese. Yikes.

sarah August 8, 2010

Oh my goodness!
I am so hungry atm. Still at uni, but couldn’t resist checking your blog. Now I really can’t wait till 7pm tonight. I have 2 and a half hours to go till dinner.

Mama Pea August 9, 2010

Pea Daddy bought me Eat, Pray, Love over the weekend to read as a result of you. Thank you.

Camille August 9, 2010

Gorgeous and fresh looking dinner!
I’m craving some enchiladas now :)

Page 1 of 212»