Easy Salt & Vinegar Roasted Chick Peas

by Angela (Oh She Glows) on August 3, 2010

Hello friends!

My revived Salt & Vinegar obsession lives on! I am so excited to tell you about this next recipe tonight. Unfortunately, it is not a clue for my overseas trip in September (didn’t have time to make it), but it is a great recipe regardless.

IMG_5225

Easy Salt & Vinegar Roasted Chickpeas

Adapted from Homemade Salt & vinegar Chips and Green Beans.

Ingredients:

• 1.5-2 cups cooked chickpeas (one 15-oz can), drained and rinsed*
  • 2.5-4 cups white vinegar
  • 1/2-1 tsp fine grain sea salt, to taste
  • 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil

Directions:

1. Line a baking sheet with tin foil or parchment paper.

2. Add chickpeas into pot and cover with vinegar. Add a dash of sea salt. Open a window and turn on range hood fan to air out the soon-to-be potent vinegar smell. <– you were warned!

3. Bring to a boil and then remove from heat. Let sit in pot for 15-20 minutes, uncovered.

4. Preheat oven to 400F. Carefully drain chickpeas in a strainer and discard vinegar. Place chickpeas on lined baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and sea salt. Massage with fingers until fully coated.

5. Roast for 25-35 minutes, stirring once half way through. Keep a careful eye on them after 20 minutes of cooking to ensure they don’t burn. Enjoy as a high protein snack or as a side to a lunch or dinner. Cool on pan for 5 minutes. They will crisp up as they cool.

*Note: I assume you could also use dry chickpeas and cook them in vinegar from scratch. Also note: When I brought the cooked chickpeas to a boil, some of the peas split open and some of the skins came off. Not to worry if this happens-it will turn out regardless!

IMG_5226

I loved these! The salt & vinegar taste was amazing and really came through.

\IMG_5227

Crunchy, crispy. Divine.

High in protein to boot!

IMG_5230

In the OSG recipe vault!

I had the S & V chickpeas along with some BBQ’d veggies…

IMG_5066

So much green! Eric used his olive oil + S & P + wrap in tin foil BBQ trick again.

IMG_5059

Food baby ensued. ;)

Operation Beautiful Book Release

IMG_5243

Caitlin’s long-awaited Operation Beautiful book is officially released today in stores! Caitlin will also be on The Today Show this Thursday at 8:30am. Be sure to tune in if you can.

ob_2_small2This Friday, I will be the last stop on Caitlin’s Virtual Book Tour.

I will be talking about a body-image topic that is very near and dear to my heart: Happy Weights. How do we come to terms with where our bodies are happiest? How do we know when we are there? How do we learn to love our body the way it was meant to be? How do we stop fighting against our Happy Weight? I have LOTS to say about this topic!

I will be talking about all of these questions on Friday, so stay tuned for a fun discussion and book giveaway!

I have more work to take care of tonight. I’m hoping to end the evening with our favourite new show- Lie To Me! Eric and I are HOOKED. We are only 3 episodes from being caught up to this current season. It is basically my ideal show- psychology research + gripping plots + great cast. We can’t get enough! It gets better with each episode.

Oh, I just realized I forgot to give you a clue for where I am going in September…

Au revoir, chick P!

Marie August 3, 2010 at 7:30 pm

France! :)

Abi August 3, 2010 at 7:34 pm

ahh! i went to france in november.. its the dreamiest place on earth. i’m working on writing a “guide to paris” post on my blog… of things i would’ve found helpful!

holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 3, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Oh I would love to go to France, how exciting!!!

The chickpeas look great, I keep meaning to make your salt and vinegar potato chips — I have the potatoes waiting!

I can’t wait to read your Op Beautiful post — and I”m going tonight to pick up my copy of the book!

Marilou August 3, 2010 at 7:37 pm

Oh damn! I’m doing this recipe TONIGHT :)

tanyasdailyproductreviews August 3, 2010 at 7:47 pm

sounds like a fun vacation..perfect time of year

Bridget August 3, 2010 at 7:48 pm

I tried your salt and vinegar potatoes the other day, and OMG! They were so good! I’m sure I’ll love these chickpeas too. I am hopping on board the salt and vinegar obsessed train ;) Choo choo!!!

Emily August 3, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Woooo France!! That is SOOOO exciting :) Can’t hide that I’m a bit jealous, enjoy!!

Devon August 3, 2010 at 7:53 pm

YUM-O! I can’t wait to try these chickpeas!!

Angela, I’d really like to try the Glo Bars, but can you ship to the US?

Devon August 3, 2010 at 9:14 pm

Ack, never mind. I just checked out your FAQ and now I feel like an idiot! Sorry!!!

Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine August 3, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Hmm I’ve never had roasted chickpeas… I might make them for snacks sometime! :) thanks for the recipe.

OMG are you going to France? :D That’s so great! I can’t wait for all the adventures.

I’m going to Montreal in a week. I will also be saying “au revoir”. Just wanted to let you know. ;) hahaha

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 3, 2010 at 7:57 pm

It sounds like you are going to need to expand your employee base soon to make glo-bars! hehe.

Devon August 3, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Oops, forgot to comment–I LOVE France…I am jealous! I got to do a study abroad while I was in college, and it was one of the best experiences of my life–I had my first boyfriend there, my first kiss…lol, it was all very dreamy.

And I love Lie to Me! I’m really happy to see Max Martini on there right now (Jillian ((is that her name??))’s boyfriend.) I loved him in The Unit–he’s just eye candy for me.

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day August 3, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Oh please please please come back from France with a tasty VEGAN French macaroon recipe. Please?

Hehehe. That’s very exciting! You deserve some much needed vacation time :)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) August 3, 2010 at 8:04 pm

oooooh Mr BBB and I are hooked on that TV show too! LOVE IT!

Sana August 3, 2010 at 8:11 pm

I just came back from franceee!!! You will love ittt!!!

Nicole Y. August 3, 2010 at 8:13 pm

I love, love, LOVE, Lie To Me!!!!!

Jessica @ Rawtumn August 3, 2010 at 8:16 pm

LOVE chick peas! Those look delicious. When I was little my salads had to have a 2:1 ratio of chick peas to lettuce. =P

Erin August 3, 2010 at 8:16 pm

I bought some salt & vinegar roasted cashews recently — so addictive!

Cara August 3, 2010 at 8:16 pm

I love a good salty snack!

Paige @ Running Around Normal August 3, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Those chickpeas sound amazing!
Can’t believe you’re going to France! How wonderful! I can only hope I’ll be able to go to even Europe some day.
Congrats on the Glo Bar sellout success :D

Pam August 3, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Congrats on the increasing orders from Ambrosia! Cute little hint there at the end :)

Oh, and I’m definitely going to have to get into Lie To Me.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 3, 2010 at 8:24 pm

I’m gonna try and find the OB book this week!! Ahhhh!! :D

Cynthia (It All Changes) August 3, 2010 at 8:24 pm

After have some roasted chick peas at a friends house the other day I bought two huge cans to make my own and some great hummus!

kellie August 3, 2010 at 8:27 pm

i love the salt and vinegar idea!! could you do this aomehow with the kale chips?

AngelaOSG August 9, 2010 at 6:28 pm

I tried and failed but im sure its possible!

Jenn August 3, 2010 at 8:27 pm

I can’t wait to try this recipe. It looks so yummy and I got hooked on chick peas when I was pregnant with my daughter (the only things I was able to stomach).

I can’t wait to pick up Caitlin’s book, but I thought it wasn’t released in Canada until next week, I’ll be checking out the store tomorrow for sure :).

Have a wonderful time in France.

I just love reading your blog and I’m on here everyday checking out what you created. :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 3, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Oooh, those sounds good and so simple to make!! I LOVE chickpeas so these will undoubtedly be made soon :-D

Camille August 3, 2010 at 8:38 pm

You’re going to France!
So cool!
I was reading Operation Beautiful last night and you are featured in there a few times! I got very excited to see a familiar face!

[email protected]://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 3, 2010 at 8:40 pm

Love chickpeas and especially anything roasted.

Angela August 3, 2010 at 8:41 pm

Ack … I cannot wait to try that chickpea recipe! You rock, Angela!

Lizzie August 3, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Bonjour!!!!

Where are you going in France?? You will have a wonderful time, especially that time of year. We went a couple of years ago and it was very fun (and that was just the food!).

Lauren August 3, 2010 at 8:49 pm

I cooked your salt and vinegar potato chips today, and they were totally delicious, but my house smells like a big pickle now. LOL!

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 3, 2010 at 9:09 pm

LMaaooooooooo

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is August 3, 2010 at 9:10 pm

Yum! Love salt and vinegar!

Heather (Heather's Dish) August 3, 2010 at 9:12 pm

please tell me you’re going to france. and please take me with you….i promise to lose enough weight to fit in your suitcase and then gain it all back with French pastries :)

Run Sarah August 3, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Those look awesome! Hmm, perhaps you are going to Quebec?

Kaley August 3, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Well, I suppose it’s likely you’re going to France, but other people besides French people speak French! Like: Belgians or Swiss. So, you could definitely be heading to the land of chocolate and cheese if you ask me.

Marathon Bound Gal aka Grace August 3, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Ahhhh France’, a country I’d like to visit on one of our stops in Europe for next year’s vacation. Wow, salt and vinegar craze on the rise….love it! Those chickpeas sound like a good recovery snack after a long run w/lots of sweating. Good salt replacement!

Marie August 3, 2010 at 9:44 pm

Yum the chickpeas look great! Usually when I bake chickpeas I coat them in olive oil, salt, and cumin. So good! Can’t wait to this s & v recipe. And perhaps France? If so, that’s so fun! A friend of mine is going there in November. Ahh, if only I could go, too! :D

Casey Thomas August 3, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Yum, those green veggies look amazing!

Congrats to Caitlin on the book!

Casey

Shanna, Like Banana August 3, 2010 at 10:12 pm

And yet another great recipe. My hubby loves salt and vinegar chips and would adore these I’m sure!

If you are going to France and have never been, I may have a suggestion or two ;)

Ashley August 3, 2010 at 10:16 pm

France!! Amazing! Those chickpeas seriously look soooo delicious. I can’t imagine how busy you are making all of those bars. Congrats with your success though! Really reallllly wish we lived closer…it would be fun doing it together ;)

Crystal August 3, 2010 at 10:39 pm

France?? Or some other French speaking place? ;) Travelling is so fun! Why are you going, if I may ask?

I had chickpeas for dinner tonight, too! But mine were the stars in a curry dish. :)

Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey August 3, 2010 at 10:49 pm

Oh my goodness, Angela! These are incredible. I’m going to make them for dinner tomorrow, mark my words. I can’t wait. :)

Also, I love Lie To Me! It’s so great. I’m a huge psychology/human mind nut, so I find it fascinating.

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' August 3, 2010 at 11:11 pm

You’re going to France?! You lucky girl! :) I went to Paris last year on my honeymoon, and it was a BLAST! We went at the beginning of October, and the weather was really nice– not too hot, not too cold! Perfect for long strolls through the city!! I bet September will be just as great!

So exciting that your Glo Bars are doing so well!! They always look delish!

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA August 3, 2010 at 11:25 pm

France or Quebec? I’m guessing probably not Haiti or Senegal as they are less popular tourist options…

I love salt and vinegar and you are definitely inspiring me to make some salt and vinegar veggies very soon!

Wei Wei August 3, 2010 at 11:45 pm

I haven’t had chickpeas in a while, so I think next time I have them would be the perfect time to try them roasted! Yummmy :D btw, I can’t wait for your post on Friday! I was so excited when I saw you on Caitlin’s list!

Wei Wei

PS: FRANCE?!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] August 4, 2010 at 12:07 am

You’re going to France!?

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) August 4, 2010 at 12:20 am

Congrats on the Ambrosia success!!! How exciting is that?!?!

I NEED to make those chickpeas ASAP!! They would be perfect on top of my lunch time salads for a little staying power.

Ooohhh, is it France?? I can’t wait to find out!! And live vicariously through you lol.

Nancy @ The Wife of a Dairyman August 4, 2010 at 12:53 am

Salt and vinegar anything is addicting to me :)

Amy @ be.you.ti.fully, a.musing August 4, 2010 at 2:43 am

Chick P?? Paris, by any chance? Gorgeous city, would love to go back!

S&V chickpeas sounds intriguing… and a little addicting!

Neen @ Broad bean to runner bean August 4, 2010 at 3:35 am

hmmm S&V chickp’s looks good! paris is amazing i did 4 days there with my sister a few years ago, gorgeous food!!

Emmanuelle August 4, 2010 at 4:28 am

Are you coming over to my home country France? Just so you know, Brussels is not even an hour and a half from Paris by train *hint hint* ;-)

JL Goes Vegan August 4, 2010 at 5:13 am

LOVE chickpeas! And I’m going on a road trip tomorrow– perfect snack for the car! Thank you!

Jenn @ So Very Fit August 4, 2010 at 5:38 am

Congrats on the great sales at Ambrosia!

I’m definitely going to be trying out that chickpea salt and vinegar recipe! It seems so easy and sounds like it would be delish!

jenna August 4, 2010 at 7:16 am

mmmm..these chickpeas look great. I have not had roasted chickpeas yet but have been super eager to try them. :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 4, 2010 at 7:44 am

OMG…. I am going to the grocery store today SPECIFICALLY to purchase a can of chickpeas!! They look so good!!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 4, 2010 at 7:46 am

Did you get a copy of the book? I checked the Chapters/Indigo website and it said the book isn’t in stores here until August 10! :(

leatitia August 4, 2010 at 7:50 am

Oh Paris, je t’aime :)

[email protected] August 4, 2010 at 8:11 am

France- you’re lucky! I went there for the first time earlier in the summer… on a layover en route to Budapest! So I didn’t really get to see anything. I’d love to go back :-)
I’ve been wanting to try roasted chickpeas! Those look delish.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman August 4, 2010 at 8:21 am

Oh, I’m so jealous! I loved France when I went and I would so love to go back. Conveniently, I fold up pretty nicely into a suitcase. In case you, um, wanted a third wheel. :)

Those chickpeas sound really good, too. I love vinegar so I can’t wait to make these. It sounds like the perfect combination.

shannon August 4, 2010 at 8:46 am

I’m excited for your “happy weight” post – I’ve been thinking about it a lot lately!

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf August 4, 2010 at 9:19 am

I love roasted chickpeas something’ fierce! Also grilled broccoli!
I have some cooked chickpeas in the fridge that need roastin’…

Maxine August 4, 2010 at 9:42 am

I went to Paris with my mom a few years ago and it was an awesome trip! Our top things were: walk the grounds at Versailles, check out the Pierre Lachaise cemetary, a river cruise, espresso, and the Marche rue Cler for a glimpse into Paris food markets. The best way to see Paris is to walk around so bring comfy shoes!
So excited for you!

Kendra August 4, 2010 at 10:07 am

Those chickpeas look amazing. I think that I’ll try them. I need more high protein snacks after workouts and I don’t like to get protein bars or shakes that are processed.

Lana August 4, 2010 at 11:26 am

Another recipe to add to me repertoire!! I go through multiple cans of chickpeas each week, lol. Love them!

Ed August 4, 2010 at 12:15 pm

The roasted chick peas look delicious! I’ll have to try them!

Tamara August 4, 2010 at 12:59 pm

Very exciting about your trip. I especially love that you’re going with your mom and sister!

I haven’t been overseas yet but I really must get to Ireland. After that, I’d love to go to Italy and Spain. There are so many glorious places to go, but I love it right here in Michigan, too.

Can’t wait to try the chick peas. Salt/vinegar is divine!

I want to buy a copy of Operation Beautiful for every woman and girl I know! For starters, though, I’m going to pick up three, one for me and my two sisters. Can’t wait to see your Friday post!

And, finally: Lie to Me is so good, I agree! I want to get my fiance into it. Tim Roth is so great, I’ve always been a fan and it was very cool that he ended up starring in a TV show.

Ryann August 4, 2010 at 10:44 pm

We picked up about 10 GloBars this weekend at Ambrosia. Happy to have contributed to the sell-out. :P

Maria Schade August 5, 2010 at 6:06 pm

I made the s and v chick peas! NUMMY! Couldn’t stop eating them, I love s and v chips, so these are a PERFECT replacement! Imma hafta make more tonight, even my boyfriend loved them!

Megan Gala August 6, 2010 at 12:22 am

I made these tonight and they were so good! I ate most of them tonight so I’ll have to make a second batch tomorrow!

Thanks for sharing this recipe and your inspiring journey!

Melanie August 9, 2010 at 10:12 pm

I don’t think you could use dried beans with this recipe and have the same result as with canned. Dry beans need to be soaked first before using in a recipe. The recipe sounds great! I’d never heard of roasted chickpeas and just now found several online.

Violetta August 11, 2010 at 9:16 pm

Booooo I am sooo bumed. I tryed to make the salt and vinigar chickpeas, jumped in the shower and forgot they were in the oven. I only remembered when I started to smell burning. So sadly my chickpeas were burnt black, only 1 somehow managed to be kinda not burnt so I ate it and it was amazing. I am out of chickpeas but tomorrow I am going to make them again and set the timer on my cell phone.

Jenn August 28, 2010 at 8:43 pm

So, mine are still in the oven, but I soaked dried beans overnight in water, drained, rinsed, and then cooked them in the vinegar. It made the house smell, but…I tried one before tossing them in the oven, and they were even good then…as if the vinegar turned a bit sweet!

Nasim Bahman September 29, 2010 at 11:38 am

Thank you for this recipe!!! I looooooove Salt and Vinegar chips so this is a fantastic alternative to them! I’ve made these at least 4 times and they have been delicious everytime. I literally inhale them because they are so good!!!

tracie April 16, 2012 at 9:48 am

Thanks so much for posting this recipe! It was a huge hit in our house. My daughter loves packing these to go with her lunches or for a snack. I need to make another batch this week!

Angela (Oh She Glows) April 16, 2012 at 10:22 am

Glad to hear that Tracie!

jen April 17, 2012 at 1:24 pm

How do you recommend storing the leftovers? I put mine in a glass container with a tight lid and they get soggy by the next day. Still good, but not quite as good as the first day. Any suggestions are welcome.

Beks April 19, 2012 at 11:55 am

I tried using dried chickpeas for this recipe, and they turned out really hard. I had better success when I made them with canned chickpeas. This is seriously one of my favorite snack recipes, though! :-)

Erin May 9, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Made the chickpeas today for an after school snack for the kids – not sure if there will be any left by 4:00!!!!! Thank you for sharing, they are delicious!!!!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) May 9, 2012 at 2:27 pm

haha I can relate…too good not to eat all at once!

Lindsay July 10, 2012 at 11:32 am

I made these today and had to substitute apple cider vinegar since I was out of white. They were delicious!!! My daughters and I also made endurance crackers yesterday and enjoyed them topped with almond butter and organic honey from our neighbors. Thank you so much for your recipes! I can’t wait for your cookbook!!!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 11, 2012 at 9:52 am

Hey Lindsay, so glad to hear they work with ACV, I never thought of using that!! I bet it would be lovely though. That’s great you also enjoyed the endurance crackers too. Thanks for reading!!

anna August 9, 2012 at 5:07 am

you are a legend!! I tried the salt and vinegar chickpeas last night and they were delicious! The only down side is that it makes your whole house stnk of vinegar fpr a few hours but it was totally worth it!
x

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 9, 2012 at 6:42 am

hah yea it does! Glad you enjoyed them.

Melissa September 15, 2012 at 12:56 pm

How should I store these? and how long do they last in storage? I CANNOT get enough of these buuuuuut I feel terrible making my entire apartment smell like pickle juice (my roommate isn’t too please,) so I need to make big batches.

karen jacobson November 18, 2012 at 9:08 am

Can these be made in advance … What is their shelf life?

Jenny January 5, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Hello!
I have gabonzo beans in the pot as we speak!! I will let ya know how they turn out. Thanks again for recipe. As long as it works I will blog about it! :)

Emma Pliska January 6, 2013 at 9:40 pm

I tried to make these and they came out WAAYYY too vinegar-y. I boiled them and let them sit in pure distilled white vinegar for 30 minutes, was I supposed to dilute it?

By the way, I just stumbled upon your blog and I LOVE it!

Robyn January 20, 2013 at 8:14 am

I really liked this recipe–it’s fantastic for satisfying salt cravings. The texture was much better when the chickpeas are straight out of the oven. Mine lost a lot of their crispiness once they were stored in a Tupperware container. Would love to work out a way to keep them crispy. Anyone tried re-heating them?

Kate March 9, 2013 at 6:02 pm

It looks good, but be forewarned it makes your kitchen really smell strongly of vinegar, or as my son said “Terrible!!”

ScottishMrs April 6, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Hi there, I tried this salt and vinegar chickpea recipe because it sounds delish but mine didn’t cook through properly. Maybe you could help me figure out where I went wrong. I boiled 1 can of chickpeas in 3.5 cups of white vinegar with a dash of salt, let it sit for 30 minutes after removing from heat, tossed them on a pan, sprayed them with olive oil, sprinkled salt on them, and popped them in the oven at 425 degrees. I turned them twice but by the time they were in there for 30 minutes all of the outer ones were burnt to a crisp and they all have mushy/grainy centers :(.

EveryDayGirl April 9, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Wow, great recipe! I featured it on my blog today. Thanks for sharing!!

Grace May 2, 2013 at 5:34 pm

I made these today and they’re amazing !

Kimberly May 29, 2013 at 8:02 am

I love! love ! the strong flavor of the SS&V Kettle chips. After the 30 min soak they smelled like peas I strongly dislike peas!!! I soaked them another 30 min… and added a bunch more salt. Still they smelled funkie… over all I soaked them 3 hours this worked! I roasted them a tad longer for more crunch…. We loved them… nice flavor. I used caned peas, I may try this with dry beans next time.

Diane Lord June 10, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Do you keep these in the fridge? Also do you have a recipe for vinegar and sea salt almonds?

Penny June 23, 2013 at 10:26 am

I love salt and vinegar chips, so I wanted to love these, but to me, they just tasted like chickpeas with a lot of vinegar on them :(
Thank you for the recipe!

janet @ the taste space July 14, 2013 at 12:33 pm

Thanks for sharing, Angela. It is fun to dig into your archives… finally made these and they were good. :)

I posted mine here:

kristen August 17, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Made this today. Checked them after 20 minutes and they were pitch black.

Angela (Oh She Glows) August 20, 2013 at 8:28 am

Im so sorry to hear that Kristen! I’ve edited the recipe to reduce the temp and cook time. I just made these in a different oven (since I moved) and the cook time was much less. I’ve changed it to 400F and cook time of around 30 minutes or so. I hope your next batch goes better if you try them again!

ann September 22, 2013 at 5:39 pm

just wanted to say how addictive and amazing these are !!!! i followed the recipe and it worked out perfectly for me!

thank you so much for another wonderful recipe angela. every time i make one of your recipes everyone begs me for it. this is going to spice up my lunch salads for the week (if i can manage to not eat all of them tonight). :)

Lily September 26, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Hi! My chickpeas did not turn out crispy :-/ They have a hard outer layer and a mushy inside.
I left them in for 50 minutes and turned it up to 425 for the last 10 minutes. They’re very golden brown, just not crispy.

Any ideas of what I did wrong?

PillyVeg November 20, 2013 at 2:53 am

This recipe looks delicious! I just have a quick (dumb) question – do you need to drain the chickpeas before you combine them with the vinegar and bring them to the boil? Thanks!

Angela (Oh She Glows) November 21, 2013 at 9:01 am

Yes you do drain them before -enjoy!

Tina Bairstow December 25, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Going to try the chickpea recipie. How should they be stored and how long will they last?

Lisa March 6, 2014 at 3:02 pm

Just made these since I had some leftover chickpeas I made the other day and I was reading the reviews for your book on Amazon where a few people mentioned them! I did not think I wold like them so much- but yum!!! Easy and delicious. Thanks! Your book looks beautiful and if I am not lucky enough to win it I will be ordering it for sure.

Venu Sanz Chef March 7, 2014 at 7:38 am

Hi Angela!
do you really boil chickpeas in almost 1 litre of vinegar???? Sounds like a lot to me!!!! is it right???

Angela (Oh She Glows) March 7, 2014 at 9:03 am

yes thats correct!

Bre May 14, 2014 at 8:21 am

So….what happens if they don’t get crispy? Any suggestions as to how to use them?

Jeannemarie June 25, 2014 at 4:56 pm

Hi, love the recipe. FYI though, you would not want to use dried chickpeas and cook them in vinegar as the vinegar would prevent them from softening. You always want to soften/soak/thoroughly cook dried beans before adding an acid component (vinegar, tomatoes, BBQ sauce, lemon…) as the acid would prevent them from softening so you would end up with “woody” beans. If you choose to use dried beans, cook them first and after that, add the acid. Otherwise, looks great!

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 27, 2014 at 11:04 am

great tip, thanks!

Clare July 17, 2014 at 10:45 am

Anyone comment on if these store well or not? And how best to store them? I would love to bring a batch up to the cottage…

Melanie July 23, 2014 at 9:02 pm

These salt and vinegar chickpeas are divine.

This site makes me so happy, I can’t wait to try everything!
My next adventure will be your banana peanutbutter muffins. I don’t have oat flour though, would you think all purpose would suffice or is it oatmeal or no deal?

Paige September 2, 2014 at 11:04 pm

Oh my goodness! I’ve always wanted to make the recipes you post, but this is my first one! They were super easy ingredients and super quick to whip up and they are to die for!!:) Can’t wait to make something new!

Sarah Beam January 19, 2015 at 7:41 pm

Sooooooo good. I made these for snack this afternoon, and my kids and I absolutely loved them.

Stephany May 28, 2016 at 7:46 am

Hello Angela, do you think it would be fine using apple cider vinegar instead of the white?

Angela Liddon May 31, 2016 at 12:07 pm

Hi Stephany, I haven’t tried it myself, but other readers have and they reported back that the results with ACV were delicious! So I bet it would be a lovely twist. :) If you give it a shot, please let me know if you like it!

Mary December 9, 2016 at 7:22 pm

I love your recipes but this one – salt/vinegar chickpeas did not result in what you described in terms of texture. My peas have not dried out. This is the second time I’ve made them….love the taste but I expected them to be crunchy. Got any ideas? I put them back in the oven for another 30 minutes.

Angela Liddon April 7, 2017 at 3:41 pm

Hey Mary, I’m sorry to hear yours didn’t get crunchy! I haven’t experienced that issue before. My first thought was to suggest baking them longer, but it sounds like you did try that. I also find they only stay crispy for a short amount of time (for example if you transfer them to a container they will soften). Maybe try increasing the oven temperature a bit too. I hope you have better success next time!

Mary April 7, 2017 at 4:29 pm

I think someone suggested that she dried her chickpeas off before baking them. Maybe if you air dry them for awhile they will crunch up better than my experience. Must try that one! As for losing crunch… I’m thinking there must be residual moisture in the peas after they’ve baked … which is why they don’t stay crunchy. What do you think?

Bob March 28, 2017 at 8:10 am

This sounds wonderful but I have a question actually….what is the serving size? Also, in regards to Mary’s response above…are these supposed to be crunchy? If so, is there something additional that we should do? Thanks.

Angela Liddon April 7, 2017 at 3:45 pm

Hi Bob, In answer to your first question, the recipe contains around 3 servings. As to the crunchiness: yes, they should be crispy, though I find they only stay crispy for a short amount of time (once you transfer them to a container for storage, they will soften, for e.g.). I personally haven’t encountered trouble achieving “crispiness” before, but if you find you do have that issue, I’d suggest baking them longer or perhaps increasing the oven temp a bit too. If you give the recipe a try, I hope you have success with it and that you enjoy the results!

Beryl Krinsky March 28, 2017 at 8:32 am

Hi! Do the chickpeas stay crispy in storage, if you want to save them for a few days? How long would they stay crispy and fresh in air-tight storage. Thank you.

Angela Liddon April 7, 2017 at 3:47 pm

Hey Beryl, I find these only stay crispy for a short amount of time, and once they’re transferred to a container for storage, they tend to soften after a bit. I recommend letting them cool completely and then storing them in an airtight container in the freezer, for up to 5-7 days. Then, to reheat and crisp them back up, simply toss the frozen chickpeas on a baking sheet and roast them at 400F for 5-10 minutes.

Karen March 28, 2017 at 10:26 am

I love the concept of this recipe but I’m wondering about substituting at least part of the white vinegar for apple cider vinegar? Not sure I would boil chickpeas if they are canned…maybe just soak as directed and I think possibly air drying before baking could help to ensure they come out dry and crispy. Please let me know your thoughts on the vinegar substitute! Thanks for so many wonderful recipes!!

Angela Liddon April 6, 2017 at 11:49 am

Hey Karen, I haven’t tried the recipe with ACV myself, but a couple readers have, I think, and they’ve reported back great results. So I suspect you’d find it a delicious twist! :) If you decide to experiment, I’d love to hear how you like it.