Whistle While You Work!

Hi there =)

We had a really tiring and physical day, but we also had a fun time today. We spent a couple hours in the basement sanding (no pics yet, too much dust) and then almost 4 hours doing yard work. Weeding, mowing the lawn, pruning, removing dead shrubs/vines, etc! Eric said I did a great job today. I beamed with pride (usually I have no confidence with renos and yard work type endeavors!)

IMG_1829 IMG_1831

A weed-free garden is a peaceful garden!

IMG_1834-2

The weeds were out of control as we haven’t had any time to weed in over a month!

IMG_1841

I think these beds need some flowers! All the perennials have come and gone this season. It is sad when their bloom is complete!

Blue Jay feather…we have lots of Blue jays around here.

IMG_1835

I also discovered a love for pruning…

IMG_1836

I went a bit crazy, as you would expect.

I sculpted, I designed, I made art. I love pruning because it appeals to my artistic side. I also love symmetrical objects. Very feng shui. Eric kept walking by and chuckling to himself because he said he’s never seen someone have so much fun while pruning before. What can I say, I whistle while I work!

While I was busy weeding and pruning, he was pulling out half dead shrubs and vines covering the house.

Even though the work was hot and sweaty and not ideal for a day off, we made it fun by enjoying each other’s company. We actually had a great time out there. Many hands make the work light, or however that saying goes! ;)

After admiring our work, we came in and were starving, so I got started on dinner right away.

I made a vegan version of my favourite 7 layer tortilla pie (aka Mexican Lasagna!). It is delish both ways and I highly recommend it!

IMG_5163

Mexican Tortilla Pie

Adapted from 7 layer tortilla pie.

Ingredients:

• 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 cup salsa, divided
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1 (15 ounce) can refried beans
  • 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
  • 7 (8 inch) flour tortillas
  • 1/2-3/4 cup Mae’s humnut cheese sauce
  • Dried parsley, to garnish
  • Enchilada sauce (I used for top layer)

Mae’s Humnut Cheese* (adapted)

• 2-3 tbsp hummus
  • 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
  • A pinch of turmeric if you like your cheese yellow
  • water to thin

[*Note: I tripled her humnut cheese recipe.]

Directions: Preheat oven to 400F. In a large bowl, mash pinto beans. Stir in 3/4 cup salsa and garlic. In a separate bowl, mix together 1/4 cup salsa, cilantro, refried beans and tomatoes. Place 1 tortilla in a greased pie plate or tart dish. Spread 3/4 cup pinto bean mixture over tortilla to within 1/2 inch of edge. Top with 1/4 cup humnut cheese, and cover with another tortilla. Spread with 2/3 cup refried beans, and top with 1/4 cup humnut cheese. Repeat layering twice. Cover with remaining tortilla, and spread with remaining pinto bean mixture, humnut cheese, and enchilada sauce. Cook for about 35 minutes. Serves 6.

IMG_5168

I didn’t have 7 tortillas or refried beans, so I made an adapted version, but it still worked out!

I had two slices and Eric had THREE! We were hungry monstaaaaas. In our case, it did not serve 6 as the recipe suggests! lol. It depends on how hungry you are I guess.

IMG_5172

Eric said ‘If you keep cooking like this I won’t ever need to eat meat again!’ , as he shoveled in the pie.

I’m not so sure that will ever happen, but he has cut down meat about 75-80% and he says he doesn’t really miss it. I get a TON of questions about Eric’s diet- in fact, it is probably one of the most frequently asked questions as of late. I think he needs to start a blog! ;)

Eric does love a good beef burger, so I don’t think he would ever give up meat entirely (or maybe I am wrong here)… and that is fine by me. I will support him, just like he supports my choices. I don’t think that everyone needs to be 100% meat-free to make a difference. The fact that he is now making healthier choices than he once did, is a positive step and makes a huge impact on the system and his health. Small changes add up to something big! I truly believe this. I don’t think that everyone’s ‘end goal’ should be a vegan diet, but I do support awareness and consciousness about our food choices and the opportunity to feel our best with what we put into our bodies. I guess you could say I am pro-educated choice!

IMG_5180

Do you live with someone and if so, do you share the same ‘diet’ or do you have different eating habits, opinions on what you eat, and different taste preferences? Is it difficult, easy, fun, creative, annoying?

1 Sana August 2, 2010

Yay!!! I feel the same was as Eric- I eat 80-75% less meat and I love it! Pulling weeds out of the ground makes me feel POWERFUL!!!!!

2 Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg August 2, 2010

Ha…my husband always makes fun of how happy I look as I do dishes. I can’t help it– it’s kind of fun for me!

That tortilla lasagna looks to die for. So good!

I’m a vegetarian, and my husband probably eats vegetarian 90% of the time, because of what’s in the house and because I do most of the cooking. He isn’t ready to give up meat entirely, so he’ll occasionally eat it when we go out, but he’s gotten his meat consumption down really low, which I’m proud of!

3 Lea @ Healthy Coconut August 2, 2010

I wish had a backyard or garden so I can take out the weeds too. I know I will like gardening, I just need my own garden :)

I think having different food choices with my fiance, we have become more creative in the kitchen. I usually prefer more veggie based dishes and he likes fish a lot and sometimes meat. He will cook the meat/fish that he wants to eat. I’ll cook veggies as my main dish and he eats it as his side dish. Win-win situation! He has recently switched from white rice to brown rice (all on his own), so I was proud of that.

4 Astrid August 2, 2010

I live with my boyfriend. I eat a lot more veggies than he does, but I am not a vegetarian at all. My breafasts and lunches usually are, but dinner usualy includes meat. Sometimes I will make a different or extra side for me, but really, it is easy to cook something that we both like. Since living with me, he has learned what a lot of foods really taste like and now loves foods like asparagus and brocolli (without being doused in ranch dressing).
I love how you said that your end goal doesn’t have to be a vegan diet. I love the balance that I have with food. I love veggie and vegan alternatives and love experimenting with everything. But since I love to cook and eat, that everything includes all types of foods. I eat to make my body feel good, and sometimes to satisfy a craving. There is something about making food that makes me love whatever it is.
That bluejay feather is absolutely gorgeous.

5 Heather (Heather's Dish) August 2, 2010

holy yum! what an awesome idea! my husband and i like a lot of the same foods, but at times he doesn’t believe in the same healthful diet i do. actually, he really eats whatever i feed him, but when it comes to being active he really only works out if it’s for a sport or something. not bad, but it would be fun to workout with him more often!

6 Cynthia (It All Changes) August 2, 2010

I though it would be difficult when Hunni and I got married because he was a super meat and potatoes guy and I hardly ate meat. But he doesn’t like to cook so he eats what I do. He doesn’t eat meat at home because I am vegetarian. When we eat out that is his time to enjoy stuff I won’t cook.

Its a win win for both of us. He eats more healthy 90% of the time and feels better about himself and I don’t have to cook two meals or buy double food.

7 Katy August 2, 2010

My husband grew up hunting, eating meat and potatoes and drinking whole milk.

Now that he’s married to a vegetarian-locavore-health nut, he’s been amazingly understanding, and really great about trying everything I put in front of him…in fact, he’s started to ask for tofu and even seitan!

He still eats some meats and animal products at lunch or at restaurants, but I think he’s really secretly happy to have adopted a healthier and more sustainable eating plan. :)

8 Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine August 2, 2010

Hmm my boyfriend and I have very different food choices. I’m tryin’ to cut back on meat (and dairy, eventually… I’m used to these foods but they just don’t make me feel that good anymore), and he’s a big meat lover. We both support each other though. :) Definitely easy + creative for me!

9 Marta August 2, 2010

I enjoyed some veggie success myself this evening! I finally tried your recipe for in-a-jiffy burgers and my beef-lovin bf exclaimed “okay, I’ll admit it, I love ’em”. I’m eating veggie about 90% of the time and he’s right up there as well. The more I experiment and get comfortable with new food ideas, the more options we have for meals and the easier it is for both of us to eat meat-free.

10 Pam August 2, 2010

Great question!

I’m raw vegan (except for the occasional roasted veggie dish or pasteurized nuts), and hubby and the kids aren’t.

It’s a big challenge, because I have to prepare 2 separate meals almost every day. We do “free for all” a few days per week which helps.

The upside is that I’m exposing them all to healthier options with no pressure. My 14 yo son just started drinking wheatgrass juice daily to help his acne. I never thought I’d see that!

11 Adventures in Veg August 2, 2010

I live with my boyfriend – we’re going out as long as you and Eric but aren’t married – and am in pretty much the exact same situation! I went veg last year, after transitioning for a year or so. I wanted to go veg so bad! We stopped cooking meat at home 18 mths ago and nearly a year ago I stopped eating meat (well, chicken, as I only ate red meat once/twice a year and didn’t fish/seafood anyway) when out in restaurants etc. Now I’m pretty much vegan.
My boyfriend is an omni, like Eric he doesn’t mind what we eat at home so he basically eats vegan food as I do most of the cooking (by choice, I write a food column so have to cook a lot!). He eats cheese and meat when we eat out.
I don’t think he would ever ‘go veg’ but it means SO much to me that he supports my choice 100% and did not kick up one ounce of a fuss when I said I wouldn’t be cooking meat at home. He just supported me through it as he always does. I feel really lucky and thankful, and I know that it benefits his health as well as mine.

Your garden is sooo pretty – we live in an apartment, I’d love a garden :)

12 suz August 2, 2010

I just wrote an email to Angela about this very issue! I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to be strong and stick to a more healthful diet while your partner can indulge? I’m not sure what to do…

(This part is from my email to Angela).
Basically my partner loves eating pretty healthfully but nowhere near my nutritional lifestyle goal. Here’s the kicker – he’s the better cook than I am, and he loves cooking! I’m trying to eat separate types of meals but I feel like I’m hurting his feelings. He’s the most considerate adorable person and I can’t stand it when he’s bummed out when we don’t share the same meal. He loves cooking his mom’s old recipes (which I absolutely savor but they tend to be very rich), fruits and salads (yay), and treating me to desserts (I don’t need more encouragement!).

Another thing – he tends to cook Chinese/ Taiwanese family style – which means shared meals! =/

I’m hoping for any type of advice? I’m lost!

13 suz August 2, 2010

I just read through everyone’s responses to Angela’s query, and I think she has the most amazing audience. Just wanted to comment that and to say I’m grateful for finding this website~! :)

14 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 3, 2010

Hi Suz,

I would take those recipes and see if you can both find ways to make some healthier modifications to them without sacrificing taste. That way you aren’t saying ‘no you shouldnt eat this’, but you are finding a middle ground. I have taken hundreds of old recipes and re-worked them to make them healthier and often I like them just as much as the original. Do you think he would be up for something like that?

15 suz August 3, 2010

I will try it!! I’m willing to try anything – funny that your suggestion sounds so straightforward but I never thought of it. Thanks for your patience & insight.

16 liz August 3, 2010

Angela –

Maybe you could do a post about the best/easiest/healhiest substitutes that you find yourself commonly using. I bet everyone has some recipes from Mom or Grandma they would love to health-ify! I know I do!

17 Amy @ForDGRedial August 3, 2010

Hi,

Obviously I don’t know you and your husband but here are my thoughts/how I approach going veggie with my bf. You clearly love him and I am sure he loves you to. Because of that, I think the first most important thing is to ensure he understands why you are wanting to eat a healthier diet. And that you want to eat together but you don’t want to force change upon him so some compromises would be awesome. Secondly that whilst you want to eat healthier that is 100% not about things tasty bland or any less nice than ‘normal’ food. This was super important with Mark because to him healthy food = bland, unenjoyable food.

Then I think I would try 2 things, possibly just try one approach.

a) pick a meal he enjoys cooking and eating, do a little research and see how you might be able to tweak it slightly to make it a bit healthier, more veggies, slightly different way of cooking, strong cheese so you don’t need so much, sauces on the side etc. Then cook it the tweaked way with him. Depending how he is wired maybe even challenge him to cook the dish with a now generational edge where it tastes just as good but isn’t quite so unhealthy.

b) pick a day once a week that you will cook. Spend some time finding a recipe that you can tweak or that is healthy (I’m sure Angela has a few you could pinch, you could make them non-vegan so they look more familiar to hubbie) and do it. Be open to constructive feedback from hubbie about how you could make it even better next time etc.

I hope some of that helped.

Amy x

18 suz August 3, 2010

I do! I love him dearly and he’s such a sensitive sweetie. <3 I should say that a problem of my own is that I like practically everything and have no sense of proportion when I'm cooking… a challenge for me! And I'm thinking that Wil think you nailed it when you said that there is the conception that healthy food = bland. I probably cook very blandly compared to the rich flavors of Taiwanese dishes that his mother makes. I need to look into that and communicate more with him.

But I will try and try again (both your suggestions)! After all, there are so many meals to be eaten, right? hehe

Thanks for the encouragement, ladies!

19 suz August 3, 2010

*I’m thinking that you nailed it when you said that there is the conception that healthy = bland.

hehe – oops… (I had several thoughts running in my mind!)

20 Lea @ Healthy Coconut August 3, 2010

Hi Suz,
My fiance loves to cook but he doesn’t always make healthy dishes. Over time, I’ve slowly replaced his kitchen staples and refrigerator contents. For example, I’ve replaced table salt with sea salt, white rice with brown rice, white sugar with brown sugar and anything white was replaced with whole wheat i.e bread/pasta.

It’s a slow transition but I think it’s worth it in the long run. In my situation, I set the example and brought new things into kitchen to he can familiarize himself with it. Now when he goes food shopping, I’m proud that he comes home with items that I would have picked out myself. Baby steps!!!

21 suz August 4, 2010

Yours is a VERY good point. I forget that I’ve made some significant strides… Wil decided on his own a couple weeks ago to try non-white bread! :o) Seriously, I was so amazed at the time… 2 weeks later, I’m thinking gosh, why can’t I get him to eat healthy. Gosh, I’m never satisfied… I have to realize it’s a process and a nurturing one. I need to remind myself that eating healthfully is a happy experience and not to ruin it. :) Thanks for the encouragement!! <3

22 Marlon @MeInTheBalance August 2, 2010

I’m definitely going to try the 7-Layer Tortilla Pie this week. My wife and I are both trying to eat healthier nowadays because of medical issues that have come up over the last few years. I prepare our meals a majority of the time and she (almost) always enjoys what I make. My kids, on the other hand, are a different story. Sometimes they’ll eat “my food” with no complaint, but other times it’s a struggle. I’m not giving up on them, though.

23 Hallie August 2, 2010

This is such a great question!

I am vegan and my hubby eats meat & animal products. He is super supportive of my lifestyle and this past weekend when we were traveling, he said, “I think I’m going to eat vegan with you all weekend, just because.” He eats vegan meals with me every so often, but never all his meals for two days straight! It was really fun and I felt like he gained a new respect for vegan foods!

-Hallie

24 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 3, 2010

Wow that is really awesome he did that!

25 suz August 3, 2010

*heart melting* :) awwww!

26 Jessica Engel August 2, 2010

My husband and I used to have very different diet preferences… but the longer we are together, the more similar they become. This also includes being gluten-free now that we realize he has an intolerance to gluten. I can’t imagine being married to someone who eats in a completely different way than you do- feels out of harmony!

27 erica August 2, 2010

i live with my bf…he usually eats a lot healthier than i do, and he can eat the same thing everyday and not get bored. i on the otherhand need variety.

i now have that whistle while you work song stuck in my head.

28 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 3, 2010

just picture me whistling that song (and im a HORRIBLE whistler!)

29 Niki (Running in Pink) August 2, 2010

If my husband lived alone or was in charge of all our meals, he would be living off of frozen taquitos, Hot Pockets, Hamburger Helper, brats and hamburgers, and Doritos. Basically anything frozen and/or in a box that’s easy to prepare, but not necessarily healthy. His idea of a “vegetable side dish” is french fries! However, he will eat whatever I make for him and I’ve never heard him complain about anything being “too healthy” or if I branch out with a new recipe or ingredient. I’d like to think he would pick my healthier cooking over Hamburger Helper any day!

30 Jessica @ Running From Cupcakes August 3, 2010

hahaha sounds just like mine!!! exactly!

31 Ricki August 2, 2010

Someone just asked me this exact question last week! (Well, actually, they didn’t ask me about Eric–they asked me about my own hubby–har har). ;) My honey is a meat eater and probably won’t ever give it up either, but he is very happy to eat whatever I cook (vegan) and will try anything. It’s very rare that he won’t eat what I make. We share dinners and if he “needs” meat, he eats it at lunch or else he cooks his hunk o’ meat and uses my dinner as a side dish. We live and eat harmoniously!

32 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 3, 2010

That is us in a nutshell!

33 holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 2, 2010

My husband and I eat mostly the same — I cook most of our meals, so he eats what I eat! But, when we eat at a restaurant you can tell we do not eat the same things! J will get a burger and I’ll get fish/veggies or chicken/veggies or a salad. J almost always gets a burger and fries. :)

It is fine with me, neither of us push our food habits on the other — although I”m working on getting him to eat more veggies!

34 kelly August 2, 2010

hi! i’ve been reading your blog for a while but i’ve never commented. anyway, i am glad you posted something about this, i was wondering about your husband’s eating style. i am planning on moving in with my boyfriend in about a year (we both recently graduated, trying to save up money by living with our parents) and i’ve been wondering what i will do to cook for us when that happens. i’ve been a vegan for 3 years, but he loves his meat. it usually works out well at restaurants because we trade meat for vegetables and we both get more of what we want. anyway, reading your post and all these comments is really encouraging!

35 tanyasDailyProductReviews August 2, 2010

we eat the same…it’s easer that way

36 Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 2, 2010

That looks so good. I did a bunch of yard work and gardening yesterday also.

37 Rebecca August 2, 2010

I live on my own, but, I am the only vegetarian in my family. If I have family over for dinner sometimes I will do a vegetarian meal for everyone or I will cook them meat, its my choice not to eat meat, so I don’t like pushing others. When I have dinner at my brothers he comes up with great veggie meals, he says I am annoying (I hope he is joking), but, as I said to him, when you don’t eat meat, you have to be creative with your meals or food becomes boring. I love alot of your recipes, last night I made the pizza’s, they were so yummy.

38 Lisa August 2, 2010

I’m a 100% organic Vegetarian. My Husband would eat beef and/or fast food for every meal if possible!
Before we got married I dont even think he ate vegetables….
Now he’ll eat basic salads, cucumbers, carrots, and celery ;)
I’m working on him little by little!
I don’t mind that our eating is so opposite. I’l take a great guy that eats (Horrible)
than a Guy that has other much horrible habits yets eats healthy ;)

39 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 3, 2010

haha so true

40 dotsie August 2, 2010

Me=exercise and eat healthy. Boyfriend=doesn’t exercise nor eat healthy. His food tempts me sometimes and I have to plan ahead when we go out to eat or else it’s a disaster. At home it’s much easier to eat the chicken or whatever meat he cooks and substitute his Rice-a-Roni for my veggies or hummus, whatever I’m having. It’s sad to me because I would like to him to live healthier, but I try to lead by example instead of lecture. At least I have him eating fruit ;)

41 ashley August 2, 2010

That tortilla pie looks amazing! I’ll be trying that in the very
near future. While there aren’t any different food preferences in our household, I am lactose intolerant and my husband is not. He’s learning to live without mozarella and cream and all the other yummy dairy he’s used to.

42 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 2, 2010

That looks delicious! Throughout university I’ve had a total of 5 roommates, and my eating habits have been very different from all of them. The best way to describe it is that they were all “cupboard-people”, and I’m more of a “fridge person” – the majority of their foods were packaged and needed to be stored in the cupboards, whereas mine tend to be a ton of fruit, veg, meats and dairy, and need to be stored in the fridge. Also, all of my past and current roommates are all about convenience, and think it’s odd that I ‘cook real meals’ (which to them usually means something in the oven, or something that actually involves more than 5 mins of preparation) on a regular basis. There’s nothing really annoying about it… just different I guess!

43 Carrie August 2, 2010

Oh wow! That Mexican Lasagna looks amazing! I all the sudden want to stop my dinner plans just to make this. Absolutely going on my list of “to make” this week.

44 April @ Crazy Fabulous Life August 2, 2010

Well, I exercise and eat healthy. I’m working on getting over an eating disorder and body image issues and such, so it’s a process. My husband is the exact opposite! It’s pretty..difficult sometimes I think. Mainly because I want him to exercise with me and he wants no part of it!

45 Nancy @ The Wife of a Dairyman August 2, 2010

I am all for ‘pro-choice’ as well. We have many friends who are vegetarian or vegan even though along with our dairy we raise Natural Beef. My family is a beef eating family and when we have parties at our house, we are sure to have enough vegan and beef choices for everyone to enjoy :)

46 Tina August 2, 2010

My husband and I have very similar eating habits and preferences, which I’m so thankful for. We both agree we could never give up meat completely, but love venturing into more and more vegetarian type meals. It just started happening without us even realizing it!

And I hate doing yard work. I can handle things inside the house all day long, but yardwork just gets to me.

47 Jen August 2, 2010

Currently my husband eats what I make for the most part- which has been leaning vegetarian for no particular reason. At one point we actually were making completely seperate meals because he wanted a high protein diet that included meat, and I decided to go a low-calorie route. I guess you could say we’re flexible at life changes.

48 christina cadden August 2, 2010

Love how your flower beds came out! Very nice and that dinner looks amazing!

49 Courtney (Delightful Devours) August 2, 2010

My husband and I have VERY different eating habits. I try to eat clean most of the time, but the hubby definitely doesn’t.
He is great however with trying anything “healthy” that I make. He usually ends up loving it too. He just can’t kick his McDonald’s habit though…or that potato chip one :)

50 Amanda @ Cakes and Ale August 2, 2010

My husband is a total carnivore, but he also respects that I do the cooking and food shopping around here, which means that he eats what I make! So, he ends up eating a vegetarian diet at least 5 days a week, simply because I’m in control of dinners, etc. If you asked him, he probably would claim he’d rather have a burger, but secretly I think he likes eating a clean, healthy, meat-free diet the majority of the time. I know it gives him more energy, and it makes having a special treat on the weekend (like that burger, for instance) all the more enjoyable.

51 Rachel August 2, 2010

Oh what a touchy subject! My boyfriend will tell anyone that I have completely taken over “his” kitchen, and that there is nothing to eat! He is a part time vegan, he’ll eat what I make him, but as soon as we go out to dinner, fish or chicken appears! Just last night we tried out a new restaurant, and our appetizer came out with cheese on it. I let it slide and picked the cheese off. Then came the dinner, cheese again! I had to send it back. Then he proceeds to ask, “can’t you just get over it and eat the cheese. It won’t kill you.” In my mind I reached across the table and shook him violently! Obviously I just sat and smiled while waiting for the correct meal!

52 Anna August 2, 2010

My boyfriend and I couldn’t be more different with food – first, I love it, can spent hours in markets, read recipe books in bed etc. He is not interested at all. To him it’s just fuel, not something to be thought over and really enjoyed. I’m vegan, he’s a meat eater. I don’t have any caffeine, carbonated drinks or junk food (though I do have a love for Teddy Grahams) – he lives on Mountain Dew and for the first year we were together would have junk food for every meal. He’s starting to make more healthy changes, and gave up junk food almost completely. I’m looking forward to the day when he eats a piece of fruit or some salad!

Also wanted to say I love your blog and find it so inspirational – I’m an academic researcher too, and after a particularly difficult year professionally and personally and have been trying to reassess my options/choices so it’s great to see the changes you’ve made!

53 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 3, 2010

Thank you Anna!

54 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day August 2, 2010

My Fiance and I live together and we have slowly adapted to similar eating habits. No one wants to make two dinners (cooking one meal for two is hard enough as it is!) and he usually eats whatever I do, unless its something he doesn’t like, then he goes for a PB&J :) I think as we changed our eating habits to become more healthy, meat just hasn’t been as abundant as it used to be. I think without even realizing it, we’ve cut our meat consumption to about once a day…and surprisingly are really okay with it.

55 Hayley August 2, 2010

My roommate and I eat in similar ways, but I think living with a friend is way different than living with a boyfriend/husband/significant other, especially since she and I prepare our own meals separately. But we do influence each other.. if I see something delicious-looking on her shelf in the refrigerator, I sometimes go out and buy it for myself the next day. Some sets of roommates I know -always- cook together, but with our schedules I just don’t see how that would work!

56 Red Head, Yellow Dog August 2, 2010

I live with my boyfriend and he has really reduced the amount of meat and overly processed foods since we moved in together! I’m still trying to get him to live veggies and to eat something besides hot dogs if I don’t cook something for him :) baby steps…

what shoes are you wearing in the garden pics? are they white converse? they look cute!

57 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 3, 2010

They are Nike Frees from 2008 :) Tks!

58 Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 2, 2010

Girl, that Mexican Lasagna looks SO GOOD. And it sounds pretty easy, too. Love that it uses tortillas. It makes the dough-challenged ones out there (like me!) very happy :-D

59 Gypsy August 2, 2010

So funny – I was just thinking about this subject this morning – wondering if you ever cooked Eric meat to go along with the veggies. Does he just eat meat on his lunch at work or out at restaurants?

Luckily my fiance and I both eat healthy and he loves everything I cook – especially all the OSG recipes! But we are also major foodies and love to splurge at nice restaurants–
He travels often and I find that when he’s not home to cook for I eat very sparsely and usually vegetarian naturally. For example he was just gone for 10 days and I didn’t eat meat the whole time he was gone, but yesterday when he got back all I wanted to do was go have a burger!

Alot of women who eat healthy I know have to often times make separate meals for their husband and another meal for the kids – don’t think I would be as accommodating!

60 Angela (Oh She Glows) August 3, 2010

He has meat probably once a week, typically at lunch (with veggies lunches the other 4 times) we keep organic meat in the freezer and he will occasionally BBQ

61 Kathryn August 2, 2010

My husband is an at home vegetarian. He doesn’t bring meat into the house put of respect for me and I don’t say anything when he orders a Bacon cheese burger when we go out. He has switched to soy milk in his cereal on his own accord and he doesn’t buy soda at the store anymore either. He is pretty amazing.

62 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 2, 2010

I share extremely different eating habits than my parents now. They snack through the day and don’t have big meals while I prefer to have 3 big meals and a couple of small snacks between them. This causes problems when they want to have breakfast at 11, lunch at 3:30 and dinner at 8. Cause I’m hungry! lol.

63 Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 2, 2010

I don’t live with anybody but whenever I go home to visit I usually end up making my own meals seperate from the rest of the family’s. Every now and then they’ll ask if I’m making enough to share in which case..of course!..but other than that it’s meatloaf for them and veggie brgers for me. :P

64 Callie August 2, 2010

That tortilla lasagna looks SO GOOD. :)
Everyone in my family except my mom is a big meat eater. I’m sort of at the same place Eric is. Even though I eat mostly veggies, I’m not a eating a vegan diet.

65 Brooke August 2, 2010

How is it possible that you make yard work look FUN!! Nice work today! My husband and I have very different diets. I am vegetarian with vegan tendencies (ha!). The husband is very omnivorous. I try to be a positive influence without being the overbearing, nagging wife. We make it work! Though he does refer to me as a ‘hippy’ more often than not. I don’t mind! It’s all in good fun!! :-)

66 Brooke August 2, 2010

Oops. I meant my husband is carnivorous! That’s what I get for multi-tasking. *blushes*

67 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 2, 2010

That tortilla pie looks so good. I don’t blame you two for almost polishing it off! I find that recipe servings are rarely accurate for me. Serves 4? Puh-lease. More like 1!

I live with my roommates during the school year and we have pretty similar eating habits. But during the summers I live with my parents and we’re on complete opposite ends of the spectrum. My dad is a ribs and potatoes kind of guy who turns up his nose everytime I make tofu or “weird, healthy food” haha! It makes it a little frustrating since it’s so hard to have family meals!

68 Camille August 2, 2010

Unfortunately my boyfriend and I have very different eating habits. He is getting much better with his eating, but we usually eat different meals :(

69 Julz @freshman5k August 2, 2010

Looks delicious! I totally agree with the pro-education!

70 Mary @ ferventfoodie August 2, 2010

I don’t live with my boyfriend, but we are with each other most of the time. He’s very focused on weightlifting, so his diet is different than mine even though we both try and focus on healthy clean eating. It’s hard because we both LOVE food, and we miss all the cooking we used to do. We’re slowly incorporating healthy meals that fit both of our goals–that way we get to cook and eat together and still stay on track. We might have to give this tortilla pie a shot! :)

71 Shanna, Like Banana August 2, 2010

Anything that can be made Mexican should be! I’m all about transforming dishes into something like this. It looks amazing!

72 Lisa (bakebikeblog) August 2, 2010

oooh I really like this dish! What a great job!
I am lucky that Mr BBB loves to eat healthy foods – and doesnt mind being my taste tester in the kitchen!

73 Jessica August 2, 2010

I could probably be vegetarian very easily, as I have been reading your blog and cooking from your recipes, I feel sooooo good! My husband is very very bent on a high protein diet, so he eats alot, alot of chicken and turkey. But I do cook very healthy meals for us and I will cook meat for him and lots of veggies and I forgo the meat. He is very supportive and thinks its totally cool the way I eat and that is very important!! Even my 23 month old daughter LOVES GREEN MONSTERS!!!!

74 Krista @ Can't Survive on Yarn Alone August 2, 2010

My husband and I eat pretty much the same thing meals wise. He used to be the main cook w a “let’s throw all this together and it ends up amazing” talent but now I cook more and collect different things and receipes to try. He still can stomach stuff like frozen corndogs that I can’t but he hates chickpeas so I guess we’re even for the most part.

Chrysanthemums = fall flowerbeds! I’m planning to plant a few in some flowerpots around our place.

75 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is August 2, 2010

I don’t think my husband will EVER stop eating meat. I know most wives can say that, but really…I can’t ever see it!

76 sentimentsbydenise August 2, 2010

This Mexican lasagna looks so delicious – I’m anxious to give it a try!
I made your Blueberry Carob pancakes this morning and thought they were fabulous! Thanks for sharing it. I even did a blog post about it and referred my readers to your post (especially since your photos were so much more amazing than mine…I wasn’t concentrating on the photo shoot as much as devouring these yummy pancakes!).

77 banandrea August 2, 2010

Delicious looking dinner- I’ve made something similar before and loved it! I live with just my mom, and I am a vegetarian while she isn’t but we make it work pretty easily. She likes bean dishes and cheese, so when we’re having something like mexican or curry or bean-burgers and the like, we eat the same thing for dinner. She’s not a fan of tofu, tempeh or seitan, so usually when that’s on the menu we do what she likes to call “simo-cast cooking” (what a cutie- basically just side by side frying pans!) and have the same dish but mine with tofu/tempeh/seitan and hers with chicken/salmon. It works really well for us, and each of us gets to enjoy what we want. We get really creative about things for sure :)

78 Kelly August 2, 2010

Wow, that looks seriously amazing. It’s funny when I was reading that I was like I really don’t think that would serve six…haha looks like I was right :) So delicious though. Must try it.

Also my husband and I do NOT eat the same, sadly. We basically cook different dinners every night. It’s pretty dumb, but I don’t think it’s changing any time soon, so it works for now :)

79 Stacie August 2, 2010

Thanks for sharing your pie recipe! My husband, said wow–that’s looks and sounds really good! I’d give that a try! The minor detail? He’s a meat eater while I on the other hand an veg/slowly going vegan. Thanks Angela (and Eric) for the inspiration and yummy recipes…

~Stacie
P.S Your weeding turn out glorious. The weeds probably didn’t know what hit them ;) Ever thought of mulch around your bushes instead of flowers? Good for the environment and less work than flowers….though not as pretty I suppose.

80 Diana @ frontyardfoodie August 2, 2010

I love pruning too! Except my arms are all funky after wards like I was a little too jolting on them or something.

My husband and I share very different diets but slowly he’s levitating to a more conscious diet and I love it!

81 Jessie (Bites and Pieces) August 2, 2010

I’m with you, I love pruning but weeding is another story all together! That Mexican tortilla pie looks delicious!

82 Katharina August 2, 2010

It’s so satisfying when you finish projects around the house. I want to see what your artistic pruning looks like!!! :D

Also the 7-layer tortilla looks like it’s to die for!!! Oh my goodness. I would love to come to your house and dine on that.

XOXO

83 Katharina August 2, 2010

When I’m back home with my parents we have similar eating habits, but not the same. I’m a vegetarian, but my parents are not (my mom is a huuuge fan of fish). They are really respectful, and actually eat a lot of the same things I do. They love hummus, Greek yogurt, beans, lentils, veggies. They actually are eager to try anything I cook :D

p.s. they LOVED your parsnip fry recipe.

84 Kaley August 2, 2010

My boyfriend, who is Spanish, grew up eating lots of fresh, healthy, homemade foods. He loves most anything and everything, although in Spain ham is practically the second religion after Catholicism. (You think I am kidding. I am not.) I am not a vegetarian, nor do I really think too much about eating/not eating meat, but I barely eat any. When I do, it’s usually a meal my mom cooks or a meal that has been cooked for me. When eating out, I usually choose salads or veggie-based meals.

Mario, if left to his own devices, would eat large salads for dinner and something his mother made and froze for lunch (along with a salad). He also loves fruit for snacks. Really, I couldn’t have asked for anyone more agreeable.

85 Rachael August 2, 2010

My partner is a classic Southern boy – fried everything, meat, bbq and potatoes. As much as he waxes poetic about the beauty of hush puppies, I find that he also enjoys everything that I make: I cook almost 100 % vegetarian, often vegan as those were my paths up until very recently. We save money, he feels better and I love that I’m able to nourish someone I love in a manner I’m ethically sound with too.

86 wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas August 2, 2010

My husband is a great eater. The more exotic, the better, and he will eat vegan or vegetarian food if I make it. He shares my love of learning how food works with your body, and he’s very interested in gardening and foraging. It’s always fun to experiment in the kitchen, because he’s always game for anything. That said, he’s also always game for a fat burger or a bag of chips.

My ex husband would eat 2 things: Cheeseburger macaroni Hamburger Helper and grilled cheese. Did you notice I said “ex”?

Your photos are lovely!

87 Maya August 2, 2010

Amen to what you said about being more aware! A lot of people are so black and white: tons of meat, or no meat, all dairy, or no dairy. Even one meatless day a week makes a big difference to the planet!

88 Gree August 2, 2010

This looks really yummy, I love a good mexican casserole!

89 Leah August 2, 2010

Love your attitude – I agree with you, small changes add up! I’m reducing my meat quite a lot and although I’ll probably never give it up completely, I’m trying to be educated and ensure my meat comes from farms where the animals are treated right and the production methods are sustainable.

90 Wei-Wei August 2, 2010

I love how much you two love and accept each other. You seem so at peace with his food choices… Normally stereotypical vegans, raw-ists, vegetarians, etc etc are so defensive about their food choices that they’ll put down people who do eat what they don’t. (Does that make sense?) I think this is just proof of your ever-beautiful spirit! :)

Wei-Wei

91 Crystal August 2, 2010

I live with my boyfriend and I think the only difference in our eating habits is that his plate has twice the amount of food that mine does. :P But I am more of a snacker anyways so it works out for both of us.

I tend to eat less meat than he does, but since I do 99% of the cooking he eats what I eat.

92 Miriam August 2, 2010

Now that I am single, it seems like every guys I’ve been meeting lately feel the need to tell me that they will NEVER give up meat (after I tell them im a vegetarian) and me to answer that I really don’t care about them eating meat, won’t try to change anyone mind, it is a personnal choice! Cause you know… “REAL” men eat meat! ;) However, I don’t like preparing meat or buying it, I will do it, since I doubt I find someone on the same page as me! ;) I’ve been thinking ever since I stop eating meat… would I feed meat to my kids? I mean, since I see that as a personnal choice, I might as well give them the option? I am feeding my dog vegetarian & hollistic food since I’ve been reading the ingredients on dog food (chicken fat is often cited as the first ingredient… ewww!!).

93 Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' August 2, 2010

Yum, that Mexican Pie looks right up my alley! (my husband would love it, too!)

I definitely eat differently than my husband– I eat more raw food, and almost always vegetarian, while he craves meat and fast food like crazy! Since I’d like him to eat healthy, I usually prepare separate meals for each of us at night. Lately, I’ve been staying away from our gas oven (because it makes our apartment too hot) so he’s been getting lots of sandwiches and smoothies! But when our oven is in use, I’ve gotten him to LOVE quinoa and roasted veggies, as well as a vegan lasagna! (which makes life easy, since there’s always leftovers for the next night!)

94 courtney August 2, 2010

Thanks for the boy-friendly AND healthy recipe–I am going to make this for dinner tomorrow. My boyfriend is always begging for things like nachos for dinner, but I usually find them to be too greasy and not nutritionally sound enough to be a meal, but this will be the perfect compromise! Yay for happy couples eating :)

95 Jenna @ Ciao-Cow.com August 2, 2010

Oh, YUM! My favorite meal as a child was a mexican casserole my mom made. We were just talking yesterday about looking for a healthier vegetarian version. Welllllll, here it is! Thank you- I canNOT wait to make!

About two years ago, I convinced my parents to stop eating (and buying) processed food. This summer, both went nearly vegetarian as sort of an ongoing experiment (Nutrition major…:p). It’s interesting to see…what works for one does not always work for another.

96 Candice @ ChiaSeedMe August 2, 2010

That meal looks amazing! And considering we are mexican food addicts over here, I’ll probably have to try it.

I actually made a version of your 50 cent hummus today, and it turned out awesome!!

Jon has never had intentions of becoming vegetarian or vegan, but he has slowly eliminated meat from his diet more and more. He basically only eats the occasional chicken sandwich (read: chick fil a) when we go out…but doesn’t ever eat meat at home anymore. And most of the time he orders vegetarian meals when we go out too! It’s kind of funny because just tonight he said “I think I’m becoming a vegetarian.” It’s like it’s happening before his very eyes. lol. I’ve told him I support him either way…but of course I’m thrilled that he’s choosing to begin making changes!

97 bitt August 3, 2010

My husband is vegan–we met at an animal rights protest! We used to eat almost the same thing, but then I started into eating raw foods and he tried out some things but we eventually found we need to eat what works for us. We share some things and don’t others. No big deal, it works for us.

98 Amanda August 3, 2010

I can see it now oh-he-glows as the companion website to oh-she-glows! I remember the guest post he did a while back, it was funny!

That tortilla pie will be created in my kitchen…. SOON!

99 AngelaOSG August 3, 2010

haha whenever he surprises me with some healthy act I call him oh he glows for the day ;)

100 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) August 3, 2010

I live with my husband, and luckily we have the same eating habits … he will eat anything I cook (no matter how weird it is!!!)

101 Little Aspects August 3, 2010

My husband calls himself a “pseudo-vegetarian” :D I’m veggo, he’s not but he’s more than happy to eat vegetarian (mainly vegan) at home. Even when we go out (which is really quite rare these days) he often chooses a vegetarian dish. I always have to laugh when people ask me quite seriously what he eats when they find out that I’m vegetarian – um, the same things I do – he loves my cooking!

PS – your mexican tortilla pie looks fantastic – now I know how to use up the leftover tortillas from our mexican dinner the other night in a different way!

102 Suze August 3, 2010

You have managed to make even gardening seem like something I would like to do!

In response to your question, my partner and I have quite different diets preferences. Mine is that I will eat anything (except ice-cream, yuck!) whereas his are much more restrictive. He has some very definite likes and dislikes, and doesn’t eat any fruit at all. He also doesn’t like sweet things, which just means when I bake I generally freeze some and then eat it all myself!

He is also Muslim, and when we moved in together we agreed to keep the house halal. We do this to the extent of not allowing alcohol or pork products inside the house, since we don’t live anywhere near a halal butcher. The alcohol is very easy, as I don’t drink either, although not for religious reasons. Not allowing alcohol sometimes put off some of our guests, though, which is little frustrating as I think it is possible to have a great time without drinking. The pork also isn’t a problem – I still eat things with bacon in them when we eat out, I just don’t have it in the house.

I do most of the cooking now that he is working and I am still a grad student who works from home. I sometimes get frustrated that I can’t try out some recipes that I would like because he is less adventurous than I am, and also that there are so many recipes with wine in them that I can’t figure out a decent substitute for!

103 Ellani August 3, 2010

My husband totally supports my being vegan and eats everything I cook with relish, but I don’t think he will ever go completely vegan. My kids (4 and 2 years old) are not vegan, but eat pretty healthily and like fruits and veggies (but also dairy and meat). My oldest has really gotten into my morning green monsters, as long as they have lots of fruit in them too! And her awareness of what is healthy seems to be growing. I hope my example will help them choose a healthy lifestyle, but I won’t pressure them to become vegan.
It is a challenge sometimes to feed everyone according to their tastes…

104 Emily August 3, 2010

That is so great to hear how supportive Eric is of you diet, and of your cooking and recipe experiments! My boyfriend and I don’t live together but most nights of the week we we are at one of our houses cooking dinner together. He is really supportive of my dietary needs and will always adapt a recipe to suit my needs. Some times he will buy a meet or extra ingredient that he wants but he always makes sure what I’m eating is prepared the way that I want. He has definitely begun to eat a whole lot healthier since we have begun dating and it’s really great to have his support :)

105 JL Goes Vegan August 3, 2010

Oh, that pie looks so, so good! Will definitely try it! (My omnivore husband says similar things, but I think he’s a long way off from meat-free! LOL)

106 Holly B August 3, 2010

Great question and so timely as I’ve been thinking about the differences in how my bf (whom i live with in a small nyc apt) and I eat and live. While we do go for the occasional run together and he certainly does not shun a vegetable if put in front of him, my boyfriend loves his neighborhood take out, fast food burgers and sweets. He’s fortunate to have great genes, and is naturally slender…I on the other hand have to work my bootay…hard to look the way I want to look. It’s tough having delicious Crumbs cupcakes in the fridge (right now we have a tray of 6 massive cakes a friend had delivered as a thank you…arg!) or gourmet (but high calorie) pizzas, and snacks around. I don’t want him to change the way he eats because of my lack of control…but it can be very difficult to stick to my guns in a co-habitation situation :-P hopefully with time it will come

107 Therese August 3, 2010

My boyfriend and I have a great time gardening together even though both of us are totally inexperienced in that department! But it’s a great way to spend time together!

Alan isn’t vegetarian but since we moved in together he doesn’t eat meat all that much anymore. Even before we were dating he had stopped eating a lot of red meat, now he just has it on occasion. Other than his penchant for junky snack food he’s a pretty healthy eater!

And I’m right there with you, I don’t care what other people eat as long as they KNOW what they’re eating and why.

108 Annie@stronghealthyfit August 3, 2010

My husband and I definitely have different food choices. I am an “unofficial” vegetarian- don’t have much taste for meat anymore and hardly eat it these days, and he loves his burgers and fries, although he has cut way back on that stuff. We eat most of our meals from home, and don’t bring in (or prepare!) a lot of junk food at home. Most of the time we can find common ground :-)

109 Brittany August 3, 2010

My parents have completely given up on my eating habits. (I’m vegetarian) My mother no longer attempts to cook or buy food for me. I do most of my own shopping and cook most of my own meals. My boyfriend grew up eating meat meat meat and is dead set against trying new things even when I put my heart and soul into them. I’m convinced that if he tries the things I make he’ll learn to like them, but I don’t want to push him, so I’ll have to let him figure it out on his own time… But he’s got to know, when he moves away from his mother’s house, he’s going to have to find some way to sustain himself that doesn’t involve just yelling at her to make him food…

110 Rachael @ Mrs-Adventure August 3, 2010

Eric’s diet sounds similar to Mr. Arkansas (my husbands) he has cut way down he only eats meat at (maybe) one meal a day now and say’s he doesn’t notice as long as I am cooking yummy foods.

111 Mae August 3, 2010

The vegan tortilla pie looks AMAZING. Re: eating habits of those I live with, my parents don’t enjoy (their words, not mine:) “healthy shit” so it’s hard to cook for them. Since becoming vegetarian, we barely ever eat the same meal. Also, I get done with work at 3 and working out by 4, get home at 4:30 starving so I have a big snack/ linner. They eat dinner at around 7 but I’m not hungry then.

I try to listen to my body’s hunger cues but at the same time I hate that I always eat alone. :/

112 katie August 3, 2010

I think your attitude towards Eric’s diet is great and really refreshing. I’ve only recently really started cleaning up my diet, and I cannot tell you how much better I feel because of it! I want my fiance to share my happy healthiness with me, and I know I can be a bit (ok, alot!) of a nag about it. This is something I’m working on…encouraging (and enticing) him to eat healthily, but supporting him making his own choices. We’re currently dealing with some physical distance between us (hello, Atlantic Ocean!), but I can’t wait till we live together and we can make healthy and delicious meals for us to enjoy together! This tortilla pie will definitely be one such meal!

113 Marathon Bound Gal aka Grace August 3, 2010

That Mexican Lasagna looks fantabulous! You are so creative with your cooking! I love it!

I am using “Choosing Raw” to help me get where I am eventually vegetarian. I’m doing it in baby steps but I am almost there. I eat pure veggie for breakfast, lunch and dinner now, but every now and then I may break in and have something but haven’t yet, and it’s been over a month now. Woohoo! Now the hubby on the other hand, will not become full fledge vegetarian as he does like an occasional burger or steak like Eric, but he’s almost 85% vegetarian. He doesn’t eat much meat at all. I’m real proud of him in that aspect.

Just want you to know you have helped me tremendously to get there in a gradual way!

114 Amber K August 3, 2010

My husband and I definitely eat healthier than we ever have before, but he still eats some things I don’t. He will never give up meat entirely, but he’s down to just a little on his lunch sandwiches. I have never liked meat, even when I was a kid, so it’s a lot easier for me!

115 Candice @ Baby Beluga August 3, 2010

Ian has a completely different diet than I do. But when I make dinner for him he will most certainly eat it but throughout the day he loves to munch on candy and drink glass after glass of milk! I’m trying to slowly get rid of all of it in the pantry…shhh dont tell lol

116 Tanya Kummerow August 3, 2010

My husband has also cut down on eating meat since I went all vegan this year. And I don’t think he misses it either. He too enjoys a burger or club sandwich when we go out to eat…but we have sort of an informal rule of no meat in the house. When we have guests sometimes I will cook meat or we will have a BBQ and everybody brings their own and that is fine with me. People ask me if I am disgusted when I see people eat meat…absolutely not. I choose to not eat meat and dairy for the environment and animal cruelty…but I can understand enjoying certain non-vegan foods. I love your take on “pro educated decision” I agree with you completely.

117 Sami August 3, 2010

unfortunately, my family thinks i’m a freak for the way i eat. they used to be totally opposed, but i think they’ve come to the realization that it’s not goign to change. i feel better, look better, and have tons more energy! :) god loves me the way i am, and that’s all i need. plus all you bloggers make me feel normal :D so thanks for being so inspiring and making me feel a lot less lonely in my journey for health.

118 Kelly @Strawberries and Freckles August 3, 2010

The Mexican tortilla pie looks fantastic! I will have to try it! Oh, and your landscaping looks so pretty! I, too, look at pruning as an artistic outlet..the skies the limit with creative possibilities!

119 Ruth August 3, 2010

That looks yummy! I’m a vegetarian and my hubby isn’t, but it’s not a problem. We have separate lunches and breakfasts on the weekdays, but on the weekends and at dinner we eat the same veggie food. I’m slowly attempting to adopt more vegan practices, but I haven’t sold him on that so far!

120 Kendra August 3, 2010

Leave it to me to be completely sidetracked by a relatively small detail in a post but that feather is so pretty (Well a little tattered but the pattern and color is amazing). I have a thing for feathers especially in headbands.

121 Tracey August 3, 2010

My boyfriend, Chris, and I definitely have different eating habits. I’m vegan and try not to eat processed foods and he is a meat-eater. However, when we first started dating he ate tons of fast food and processed junk food (he also can eat anything and never gain a pound, grr). Now, since learning a little from me he has cut out fast food and enjoys all of my vegan creations! He still will eat meat at lunch sometimes and when we go out to dinner, but he supports me and actually really likes all of the vegan meals I prepare!

122 Michelle August 3, 2010

My husband is wonderfully open to a minimal meat diet, which most my friends find shocking. Neither of us are 100% vegetarian, and I think knowing that a food isn’t totally off limits makes you crave it less. If one of us wants meat, we’ll plan for it and wait a couple of days and see if we still want it. Like you, we try to buy organic/local meat. I think, for us, him seeing how great I was feeling (and how much happier I was when he got home in the pm) when I went high-raw made him want to try too.

123 Jenny August 3, 2010

I really appreciate and admire your outlook on food choices. I think you’re right, small choices do add up! If everyone just does what they see as “do-able” then it will make a positive difference in our personal and public worlds.

Lovely garden!

124 DCass August 3, 2010

I used to be a vegetarian, but then when i went to college it was too hard and expensive to try to keep with that lifestyle because our university meal plan had very few vegetarian options. So i switched to eating meat again. Then i started dating my boyfriend and he is a big time meat eat and he’s a fantastic cook. I’ve been trying to get back into a healthy veggie-loving mode of eating but it’s really hard to in my relationship. But lately we’ve been compromising on food: I’ll cook vegetarian on night and he cooks his pot roast the next.

125 Brooke August 4, 2010

I made the Mexican Tortilla Pie for dinner (with some mods… didn’t have pinto beans, only black beans and vegan cheese as opposed to the hummus cheese) and my husband kept thanking me for making it. He ate about half himself and told me that he can’t wait to come home for lunch today to eat some more. Awesome dish! This is definitely going in the rotation! Thanks for posting and giving me some ideas for dinner!

126 Hollie August 4, 2010

I really like this way of thinking! My husband is a biiiig-time meat-eater. I, however, am slowly working my way towards vegan. I already don’t eat dairy because of an allergy (my son is allergic, too) and I don’t eat beef, pork, or fish. So we have had to adapt, and our choices are limited, but I think that learning to be flexible is the best thing you can do!

127 Mel August 4, 2010

I definitly changed my boyfriend’s eating habits…he used to eat meat, pasta and potatoes all the time and was grossed out by most veggies. so nowadays he includes many new veggies into his diet and he even eats non-meat meals too! before, he *needed* meat for every meal-breakfast, lunch and dinner! but there are still many things that he will never eat, like beans, lenses, quinoa, couscous, tofu and so on. I was not eating meat for 2 years before we started dating and I have to admit that I started eating meat again, just to share a dinner with him, because I don’t like the separate cooking thing…however I don’t like meat that much and could easily live without it. Nevertheless, I could never become a vegetarian because I love fish so much! He does too, luckily. I don’t eat dairy though.

128 Sara August 4, 2010

WOW!!! This is delicious! Mae’s humnut cheese tastes just like cheese in this dish! I love it! So good! Thank you!

129 Kristina August 16, 2010

I have been married for about 8 months. I am what you’d call a pescetarian- I eat fish and seafood, but no other forms of meat. My husband eats meat, and would probably never consider going vegetarian. Many times we will make similar meals, but we just add the meat/fish/veggies/tofu on the side. When plating, we add what we want. An example is tofu teriyaki with rice and veggies. In this case, he may cook some chicken, and eat the rice and veggies with teriyaki sauce- just no tofu. It’s really not that difficult- unless I want to surprise him with a meal. I’m not into touching or preparing meat/poultry. SO, if I am preparing the meal for the two of us, it will probably be a seafood dish. I realize it’s a little strange that I’m willing to prepare raw seafood, and not meat. That’s me. :)

130 Julie November 20, 2013

Hi
I’ve made several of your recipes with great results (peanut butter cups etc) but never felt compelled to comment untill now. this tortilla pie is so great for three reasons.
My 22 month old son loves helping to spread on layers, including extra veggies like corn
Made with gluten free corn tortillas my sister enjoys it too
It’s quick and easy to make after work