Memories of Yesteryear

I think I figured out why I like antique markets so much- for the memories! We saw so many cool things today that made us reminisce about our past.

IMG 5008 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

We went to the Aberfoyle antique market today. Eric and I hadn’t been since we were in 1st year university. It is located near our old undergraduate university- University of Guelph.

IMG 5005 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

IMG 4996 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

IMG 4974 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

I don’t know why but I am DRAWN to old, worn furniture! I love the boat house style. With a little love they could be brought back to life!

IMG 4976 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

FYI- your baby should have fashion! lol.

IMG 4977 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

I resisted every urge to have tea with the Queen.

IMG 4978 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

Easy-BAKE!

IMG 5010 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

IMG 4998 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

The Crazy Dish Lady was here!

IMG 4997 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

Eric said he was ‘so proud’ of me for not buying anything today. ;)

IMG 4979 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

IMG 4980 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

I love old keys. I wonder what they open?

IMG 4981 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

Oh dear.

IMG 4983 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

Those Barbie’s need a stylist!

IMG 4984 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

IMG 4986 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

Classic B & V!!!

IMG 4987 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

I LOVE old, old worn books. You are transported into another era when you open one.

IMG 4988 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

I bought a mannequin leg to hide under the bed for a ‘burglar bat’…

IMG 4989 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

Just kidding. ;) but that would be all kinds of epic.

I’ve always wanted one of these…

IMG 4991 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

I imagine myself sewing all my clothing and being a total fashionista.

IMG 4992 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

An old rowing machine?! That was our guess…

IMG 4993 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

LOVE old doors.

IMG 4994 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear IMG 4995 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

Little known fact about me: When I was a child I used to have an obsession with COWS. Yes, cows. I had a huge collection of cow paraphernalia. I’m sure it was no surprise to OSGMOM when I became a vegan…! I have always been a huge lover of all kinds of animals.

IMG 4999 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

I used to have this cash register!!!!!

IMG 5003 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

GOSH I loved it- especially the plastic coins inside!

I debated buying it for our future children…but I was distracted by this…

IMG 5002 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

I’m pretty sure I had this too (or something like it). Maybe OSGMOM can verify? :)

IMG 5004 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

IMG 5006 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

IMG 5011 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

I love snowshoeing!

IMG 5012 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

IMG 5014 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

She be chillin’.

IMG 5015 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

Eric and I saw this white & very ‘rough’ china cabinet that would have been PERFECT to refinish and fix-up for our kitchen dining area, but it wouldn’t fit in our car. =( It was marked down to just $50! We were so sad because we wanted it so badly and we were excited about having a piece of furniture to work on and bring back to life. It was gorgeous! I guess it wasn’t meant to be though.

Afterwards, we drove by our old university!

Sorry the shots are so poor, I was in the passenger side of the moving car and had my macro lens on!

IMG 5016 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

The thing I loved best about U of G is the beautiful campus, trees, and buildings.

IMG 5023 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

IMG 5024 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

Then we drove downtown to go out for lunch.

IMG 5026 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

IMG 5027 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

We tried out a vegetarian restaurant in Guelph called The Cornerstone. It was here the entire 5 years we lived in Guelph and we never once went to it! We both thought it was a coffee shop from the outside so we never bothered to go inside (we aren’t coffee drinkers).

IMG 5029 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

The inside decor was pretty cool. High industrial ceilings with an open kitchen and lots of bar tables and stools. The downside to this place was no air conditioning. With the open-kitchen, it must have been over 100 degrees in there today. We were very uncomfortable and sweating at our table.

IMG 5030 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

We guzzled this to stay cool…

IMG 5035 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

Poor Eric was so hot he said ‘I’m sticking to my chair’.

IMG 5032 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

We got the Garlic costini along with sun-dried tomato, hummus, and artichoke spreads for an appetizer. It took about 45 minutes for our appetizers to arrive. It was already 2:30pm at this point and we were starving.

IMG 5037 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

It was delicious and we ate 90% of it.

IMG 5034 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

For my main, I had a spinach, hummus, carrot, cuke, and roasted red pepper aioli whole wheat wrap.  By the time our main courses arrived we had been waiting for 1 hour 20 minutes. It was clearly an issue of understaffing as all the servers seemed very flustered and rushed.

The wrap was pretty good (but I think anything would taste good after 1 hour 20 mins).

IMG00200201008011513 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

Eric got the veggie pizza and he enjoyed it too.

IMG00197201008011512 thumb   Memories of Yesteryear

All in all The Cornerstone had good tasting food in a nicely presented manner. They also had several vegan options on the menu clearly indicated with a ‘v’ (loved that!). On the downside, we probably would not go back due to the long wait time and the uncomfortable & hot atmosphere.

Well, it is almost time to eat again. We are going to do a huge BBQ tonight! I am even BBQing a special dessert that I can’t wait to show you. I hope it turns out.

Have a wonderful evening whatever you are up to!

tanyasDAilyProductReviews August 1, 2010

it’s fun to look at things of the past…and see how far things of the present have come

Jessica August 1, 2010

Awesome finds!!! Love the cookware!

Hillary August 1, 2010

What fun, unique photos today. Curious… does Eric cook non-vegan items at home for himself, or does he live a mostly-vegan lifestyle, too? =]

Lea @ Healthy Coconut August 1, 2010

I love that picture of the necklaces with different shades of pink. It reminds me when I passed by an antique shop in Seattle. It was my first and only time browsing through an antique shop. Since I was visiting Seattle I didn’t buy any big items only knicks knacks :)

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day August 1, 2010

Oh how fun! I had that cash register too! I remember the big red, blue, and yellow coins that came with it. Good times, good times.

The mannequin kind of freaked me out, chillen in the chair.

Kara @ MyWellnest August 1, 2010

I had that cash register too and I loved the plastic coins too!

Run Sarah August 1, 2010

Love the shots of your antique trip – how fun! The wrap looks great but an 80 minute wait for lunch? Way too long!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 1, 2010

All those tea cups!!! I would not have been able to contain myself, lol. I absolutely adore all antique shops (or fairs, for that matter although I have never been to one). My weakness is old books or magazines. I always search for any Gone With The Winds. Great book if you haven’t read it :-D

christina cadden August 1, 2010

Looks like you guys had so much fun!

Lauren August 1, 2010

What a fun day! Antique shopping looks like it would be so much fun. I can see how you could just spend hours looking at all of the unique things without even buying any of it.
I hate long waits at restaurants but at leas the food was good. Hopefully next time will be a bit more timely.

Nancy @ The Wife of a Dairyman August 1, 2010

I’m glad nobody hounded you about snapping photos of their antiques……I was in Healdsburg, CA last week antiquing and one of the dealers told me in a not so polite manner that I should really ask before taking photos of the antiques and when I asked her reasoning she said “some dealers don’t like it when photos are taken” Not sure if she thought I was going to replicate an antique or what! Crazy!

Cristina August 1, 2010

Ahh I used to be obsessed with cows when I was little too!!! I had cow t-shirts, and at least 20 stuffed animal cows! Even cow jewelry, it was madness. When I got a little older I switched over to panda bears…something about black and white animals I guess :)

Faith @ LovelyAsCharged August 1, 2010

Oh how much fun! I used to collect those Archies at flea markets back when I was a kid…I had a whole bookshelf of them! I bought one at the checkout of the supermarket the other day just to take me back…they don’t seem to be as cute/funny these days :/

Marnie August 1, 2010

I had both the cash register and pink house growing up!!!! Ahhh memories of care-free afternoons playing with Barbies and making stuffed animal forts :)

Bridget August 1, 2010

I used to read Archie comics religiously! I remember saving up my money and buying them from the corner store for 25 cents. Those were the days………

hannah August 1, 2010

I love all the vintage finds!!!!!! and the dinner looks really good too!!!!

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 1, 2010

I love antiques. That’s too bad about the service at the restaurant.

Tina August 1, 2010

Oh my goodness! Those phots are all so beautiful. And I love all the vintage stuff.

PS – I totally had that cash register too! LOL

Diana @ frontyardfoodie August 1, 2010

I love antique sales! I love photos of them even more though because you picked all the good things to photograph!

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life August 1, 2010

Wow, I can’t believe that place had no AC and you guys had to wait so long. That is insane!

Valerie August 1, 2010

Those antiques are gorgeous! I love looking at furniture and decor, and vintage styles are just so classic even when used. I would love one of those mannequins to make dresses and clothing — if only I could sew! Still, very fashionista. : )

Lisa (bakebikeblog) August 1, 2010

Oh my – what a wonderful step back in time indeed!!!

Maya August 1, 2010

I loved the Archie comics! Especially Betty and Veronica. I probably would have bought a few, for old times sake!

Lindsay August 1, 2010

Too bad about the cons of the restaurant!! The food looked so yummy!

Niki (Running in Pink) August 1, 2010

These pictures are all so amazing! This looks like a fantastic market….wish I had one nearby to check out. We have a few antique shops in the area, and it’s so fun to browse. You can find so many unique things!

Also, in regards to your obsession with cows when younger, I was obsessed with PIGS! I still have a few of little pig knick knacks in the house, but I had quite the collection going when I was younger. :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 1, 2010

I love going through antique stores!! Last time I found this really awesome cookbookm and a vintage bumble gum machine :D

Kath August 1, 2010

Love this post Ange! I love all of those things too. It’s fun to see you venture out of the casa!

Sana August 1, 2010

I am sooo sick of poor service, and then I don’t want to tip. But then I feel like an evil person. Should we tip for service we are NOT happy with?

Wei-Wei August 1, 2010

Vintage hunting is so much fun! It seriously does bring back so many unfelt memories of times before I even existed. Sigh…

Wei-Wei

Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine August 1, 2010

I love those teacups! So cute, they remind me of Russian cups.
Sucks about the restaurant service! I was once at a place that’s similar, getting a sandwich… and it took so long! Ah well. At least your guys’ bellies were filled. :) Most bad situations have something positive.

Natalie August 1, 2010

i absolutely love going to any kind of market – I’ve already dragged my parents to two different farmer’s markets this summer – but as for antique ones, you haven’t seen it all until you go to the St. Dominic’s Fair in Gdansk, Poland (or ‘Jarmark Swietojanski’ in Polish). It’s the biggest ‘goods’ market in Europe, selling both old and new stuff. I’ve been there twice before and I always try to go whenever I’m in Poland, as they have some really neat, unique collectibles there from coins and stamps, to decades-old military guns. It never fails to release the inner kid in me when I start getting excited over seeing helmets and medals from both World Wars! ;D
–>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Dominic%27s_Fair

But I’m (pleasantly) surprised to hear that you went to UofGuelph for your undergrad! Although I’m starting my 2nd year in uni this year, I just transferred over there and both the campus and downtown are especially beautiful!

If you don’t mind me asking, what did you and Eric think of the university? And do you know of any good places to run outside near/on campus (and have you ever done so)? I’m hoping to get a sweat in after class some days ;)

Danielle August 1, 2010

When I lived in Guelph I ran all along the speed river. There is paved as well as dirt trails through trees from one end of Guelph to the other (don’t run at night). Around the university there is the Arboretum which has endless trails with beautiful scenery! Great place to be active. Wish I lived there for more than just one summer.

AngelaOSG August 2, 2010

I second speed river..used to run there quite a bit! Running around campus is also beautiful. You can’t go wrong.

As for the school itself we loved it. Very laid back, friendly.

Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana August 1, 2010

What a great day! You should also print and frame some of the photos from the antiques market — they’d make a great wall collage as well!

banandrea August 1, 2010

LOVE the Aberfoyle flea market- I got my mom the most beautiful silver cuff bracelet for just $5 there a while back. So much fun to just wander around and get lost in the antiquity of it all! I also love love love the Cornerstone- though I agree that the service is often slow, especially on the weekend. They have fantastic specials sometimes, though- the other day I had a tempeh burrito and it was phenomenal. Looks like a great day to me :)

Marathon Bound Gal aka Grace August 1, 2010

I love antiqueing for the nostalgia of it. I had that Easy Bake Oven too. I remember making chocolate brownies in it too. Eeek, don’t know if I could’ve tolerated the heat of the restaurant, I know the hubby wouldn’t have for sure, although the food and menu looked excellent. What an absolute fun day trip!

Caitlin August 1, 2010

The antique market looks like so much fun! I had to comment because I most definitely had that fisher price cash register as well :) And I remember spending one summer reading every Archie comic I could get my hands on! Thanks for bringing back some good memories.

bitt August 1, 2010

I LOVE your pictures. I love to look at antiques too, especially kids toys. Virtual antique kid toy shopping on etsy is fun too.

Wendy August 1, 2010

What FANTABULOUS photos!! I used to read Betty & Veronica comics like ca-RAZY as a kid. Blast from the past, big time. :-)

Courtney (Delightful Devours) August 1, 2010

Love the pictures! What a cool day you have had.

Danielle August 1, 2010

Love the pictures! It seems like that market has so many things! An antique market is something I have never been to, but clearly I need to go! The University of Guelph has a beautiful campus! I worked there for one summer and lived down the street from Cornerstone, on the speed river. I loved it! I walked past that restaurant ALL the time, and never went in. Apparently they had good scones and had steamwhistle on tap (a super plus). Have you ever been to Stone Store natural foods? I used to love looking around there. I also shopped all the time at Market Fresh Meat & Produce which had AMAZING bread!

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe August 1, 2010

I love antique markets! It was so fun to see everything through your pics!

The restaurant looks great too – but I can’t believe they didn’t have a/c. I can’t imagine they’d get much business considering that and your long wait!

Glad you had such a fun day!

Page 1 of 212»