Memories of Yesteryear

I think I figured out why I like antique markets so much- for the memories! We saw so many cool things today that made us reminisce about our past.

IMG_5008

We went to the Aberfoyle antique market today. Eric and I hadn’t been since we were in 1st year university. It is located near our old undergraduate university- University of Guelph.

IMG_5005

IMG_4996

IMG_4974

I don’t know why but I am DRAWN to old, worn furniture! I love the boat house style. With a little love they could be brought back to life!

IMG_4976

FYI- your baby should have fashion! lol.

IMG_4977

I resisted every urge to have tea with the Queen.

IMG_4978

Easy-BAKE!

IMG_5010

IMG_4998

The Crazy Dish Lady was here!

IMG_4997

Eric said he was ‘so proud’ of me for not buying anything today. ;)

IMG_4979

IMG_4980

I love old keys. I wonder what they open?

IMG_4981

Oh dear.

IMG_4983

Those Barbie’s need a stylist!

IMG_4984

IMG_4986

Classic B & V!!!

IMG_4987

I LOVE old, old worn books. You are transported into another era when you open one.

IMG_4988

I bought a mannequin leg to hide under the bed for a ‘burglar bat’…

IMG_4989

Just kidding. ;) but that would be all kinds of epic.

I’ve always wanted one of these…

IMG_4991

I imagine myself sewing all my clothing and being a total fashionista.

IMG_4992

An old rowing machine?! That was our guess…

IMG_4993

LOVE old doors.

IMG_4994 IMG_4995

Little known fact about me: When I was a child I used to have an obsession with COWS. Yes, cows. I had a huge collection of cow paraphernalia. I’m sure it was no surprise to OSGMOM when I became a vegan…! I have always been a huge lover of all kinds of animals.

IMG_4999

I used to have this cash register!!!!!

IMG_5003

GOSH I loved it- especially the plastic coins inside!

I debated buying it for our future children…but I was distracted by this…

IMG_5002

I’m pretty sure I had this too (or something like it). Maybe OSGMOM can verify? :)

IMG_5004

IMG_5006

IMG_5011

I love snowshoeing!

IMG_5012

IMG_5014

She be chillin’.

IMG_5015

Eric and I saw this white & very ‘rough’ china cabinet that would have been PERFECT to refinish and fix-up for our kitchen dining area, but it wouldn’t fit in our car. =( It was marked down to just $50! We were so sad because we wanted it so badly and we were excited about having a piece of furniture to work on and bring back to life. It was gorgeous! I guess it wasn’t meant to be though.

Afterwards, we drove by our old university!

Sorry the shots are so poor, I was in the passenger side of the moving car and had my macro lens on!

IMG_5016

The thing I loved best about U of G is the beautiful campus, trees, and buildings.

IMG_5023

IMG_5024

Then we drove downtown to go out for lunch.

IMG_5026

IMG_5027

We tried out a vegetarian restaurant in Guelph called The Cornerstone. It was here the entire 5 years we lived in Guelph and we never once went to it! We both thought it was a coffee shop from the outside so we never bothered to go inside (we aren’t coffee drinkers).

IMG_5029

The inside decor was pretty cool. High industrial ceilings with an open kitchen and lots of bar tables and stools. The downside to this place was no air conditioning. With the open-kitchen, it must have been over 100 degrees in there today. We were very uncomfortable and sweating at our table.

IMG_5030

We guzzled this to stay cool…

IMG_5035

Poor Eric was so hot he said ‘I’m sticking to my chair’.

IMG_5032

We got the Garlic costini along with sun-dried tomato, hummus, and artichoke spreads for an appetizer. It took about 45 minutes for our appetizers to arrive. It was already 2:30pm at this point and we were starving.

IMG_5037

It was delicious and we ate 90% of it.

IMG_5034

For my main, I had a spinach, hummus, carrot, cuke, and roasted red pepper aioli whole wheat wrap.  By the time our main courses arrived we had been waiting for 1 hour 20 minutes. It was clearly an issue of understaffing as all the servers seemed very flustered and rushed.

The wrap was pretty good (but I think anything would taste good after 1 hour 20 mins).

IMG00200-20100801-1513

Eric got the veggie pizza and he enjoyed it too.

IMG00197-20100801-1512

All in all The Cornerstone had good tasting food in a nicely presented manner. They also had several vegan options on the menu clearly indicated with a ‘v’ (loved that!). On the downside, we probably would not go back due to the long wait time and the uncomfortable & hot atmosphere.

Well, it is almost time to eat again. We are going to do a huge BBQ tonight! I am even BBQing a special dessert that I can’t wait to show you. I hope it turns out.

Have a wonderful evening whatever you are up to!

Page 2 of 2«12
Michelle August 2, 2010

Oh man, I had that EXACT Barbie house growing up just mine had a lot more furniture. I also had that cash register as well. This post is bringing back major memories haha.

Fueling for Fitness August 2, 2010

I did my undergrad at UoG too so those pictures brought back sooo many memories! I think I only ate the the Cornerstone once and had the same experience (time-wise). It’s too bad that hasn’t changed! I think my favourite restaurants in Guelph were Carden St. Cafe and the Boathouse (ooh, and this other place whose name escapes me now). I wonder if anything’s changed much since I’ve been there!

-Alison

Caroline August 2, 2010

Aaahh! Angela, I’ve been a reader for a while but have never commented, but today I had to – Guelph is my hometown! My parents’ house is literally a 5 minute walk from downtown, and about 10 minutes from the university. You’re right, it is beautiful and when I’m away at school, I miss it (I go to Queen’s…bit more beautiful than U of G – just sayin’ ;]). Thanks for reppin’ my hometown to the blogworld!

Amber K August 2, 2010

Looks like really yummy food, but I probably would have left if I had to wait that long to eat! When I’m hungry, I need food, STAT!

Julie @SavvyEats August 2, 2010

I used to have that cash register too! :)

Jen August 2, 2010

The photos are lovely – a lot of them look like paintings!

maria August 2, 2010

What fun weekend pic’s! Just wanted to tell you that I look forward to checking your site each day for inspiration and a pick me up :) I am battling demons of emotional/stress eating & trying to get back to a healthy place and this site really motivates me. Keep up the good work!

Lynn @ The Next Chapter August 2, 2010

I loved this post! Your pictures are gorgeous, now you have me looking up antique markets in Nova Scotia! :)

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies August 2, 2010

Loved Archie comics when I was little!! haha

Adeline August 2, 2010

I’ll step out of my lurking for a second to say: those thin China tea cups make *gorgeous* tealight holders! A quirky restaurant here started doing that about a year ago and now a few places do it too, it looks soo pretty! The China has to be thin enough so you’ll see the flame in the dark, and it looks even better with mismatched cups and saucers. :)

LisaG August 2, 2010

I love antiquing. I’m jealous.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 2, 2010

That looks like an amazing antique market! I had no idea we had something like that in this area. I used to go antiquing last summer with my friend and I ended up starting a collection of china tea cups + saucers. They’re just so cute!

I’ve been to visit my friends at U of Guelph a few times and I agree it’s a gorgeous campus. Nothing compared to Western though. ;)

Heather (Heather's Dish) August 2, 2010

every photo here is AWESOME, but i have to say i laughed out loud at the naked barbies! hilarious!

Laura (B Foxy Fitness) August 2, 2010

What a cool antique market! I love antiques because they just have this mature energy, history, and nostalgia attached to them. It makes me wonder what kind of people these items belonged to and what things these items witnessed. I love all of your photography too! Absolutely stunning photos!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman August 2, 2010

Your day reminds me of my mom. She loves going to antique stores. I like finding old books and furniture. It takes a lot of looking, but you can find some great (cheap) home goods there.

Jessica @ Jessica Balances August 2, 2010

Oh man, someone would have had to drag me away from those tea cups and dishes!!! I have a really strange obsession with cute dishes… It’s really dangerous for me to go to Anthropologie for that very reason. :) I love this post! The photos are all so beautiful.

Roselie August 2, 2010

I love antique shopping, there are so many interesting things to be found! There’s something about the old and forgotten things that I really love! And ooh that dollhouse, what memories….

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is August 2, 2010

I’m not really a fan on antiques, but I also get that way around the antiques of my family members. I love the memories!

anne August 2, 2010

There is NO way I would have gotten away from those cups and bowls without buying something, hahaha…great pics and I can see why Eric is proud of you :-)

Camille August 2, 2010

Gorgeous photos today!
I loved every last one of them :)

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter August 1, 2010

I’m a college student who likes antiques. I swear I’m not a granny.

OSGMOM August 1, 2010

The Doll house looks very familiar and I’m almost certain that you and your sister had one that was very similar. The Cow Collection — oh yes, I remember that phase too :) I laughed at the photo of the Bad Hair Day Barbies — they look just like the Barbies I have put away upstairs that you played with along with the many Trolls, stuffed animals and crafting items. Glad you had fun today.