Karma

Greetings :)

Remember my goal of Smiling Meditation this morning when my alarm went off? Well, let’s just say that it didn’t go as I hoped…

Instead I found myself running 45 minutes late and sprawled across the floor with a bruised knee.

I guess I should explain.

I couldn’t fall sleep last night so I reset the alarm for 45 minutes later than usual, skipping my AM blog post and eating breakfast VOO in the car. I really didn’t want to, but when it was 1:45am and my peepers were still wide open, I knew I had to sacrifice some precious morning time.

When I finally did pull my bum out of bed I was in no mood to smile. Either was Eric. We were not a pleasant pair when the alarm went off.

It was one of those mornings and we were rushing around.

In a desperate moment to get the car packed up so we could rush to the market, I decided that flying would be much quicker than walking. I don’t mess around here. I proceeded to fly across the room, tripping over the cash box. Business cards went everywhere. I have a bruise on my left knee, but I think my ego got the worst of it. That is, until Eric put his own bad mood aside and offered his hand to help me off the ground. This is what I married him for…to scrape me up when I fall apart. Metaphorically and literally, I suppose.

Moral of the story: It is bad karma to skip a planned meditation. The universe will kick you in the ass.

IMG 4925 thumb   Karma

[I bet this butterfly meditated this AM!]

Despite the morning drama, our last market day before taking August off went WONDERFUL! The weather was the best it has been yet- cool, crisp, and sunny. There was no humidity and I actually had shivers in the morning. It was perfect market weather and the market was very busy (especially for a long weekend). We sold everything except about 10 Glo Bars, so we came very close to selling out! Lots of people were stocking up for the month of August. ;)

I also made some Carrot Cake muffins and those sold out really fast.

IMG 4873 thumb   Karma

I was making those muffins until 11pm last night!

The goodies I brought home…

IMG 4930 thumb   Karma

This tomato in the middle (below) is a Japanese tomato! New to me and very exciting.

IMG 4931 thumb   Karma

IMG 4932 thumb   Karma

These long, slender ones are Purple Russian tomatoes…also new to me!!

IMG 4933 thumb   Karma

Both of these guys have green seeds on the inside!

IMG 4936 thumb   Karma

And also a pint of organic blueberries. I think they are even more delicious than last week!

IMG 4945 thumb   Karma

I promptly froze a bunch because I was sitting over the kitchen sink and going into a Blueberry COMA.

IMG 4949 thumb   Karma

If you thought it wasn’t possible to get a tummy ache from too many blueberries, you thought wrong.

Dinner was a spin-off of Basil Tomato Scallops with Homemade Croutons!

IMG 4971 thumb   Karma

I added 1 zucchini to the casserole tonight. It was good. However, the casserole turned out very runny and I think that was due to how watery my tomatoes were. The bread turned to complete mush! It was not cool.

The first time I made it, I used grape tomatoes so most of the liquid stayed inside the tomato and allowed the casserole to remain semi-dry and casserole-like.

If I were to make this casserole again, I would use grape or cherry tomatoes only.

IMG 4963 thumb   Karma

We still devoured it though. Don’t you worry!

IMG 4965 thumb   Karma

IMG 4969 thumb   Karma

I think Eric and I might go antique hunting tomorrow and I am pumped! This further convinces me that we skipped our thirties, forties, fifties, and sixties, and jumped right into the antique hunting age of 79. I’m not sure how I made the jump from rubbing shoulders with twenty-somethings at Ikea to antique hunting with the Friday night Bingo crowd, but I kinda like it.

Courtney (Delightful Devours) July 31, 2010

Hey, just be glad that this type of morning isn’t the norm! It is for me, thats for sure. I find that even if everything is organized and waiting, outfit and all, I still can’t make it out the door without falling on my feet and eating breakfast in a rush to school.

I’m glad you had a good last day at the farmers market. You deserve it :)

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) July 31, 2010

Sold out all except 10 bars?!! WOW Angela! That is so impressive. Great job. I’m sorry your morning was so flustery but you’ve got some time off from the market now, right? Sleep well tonight!

Meghan@travelwinedine July 31, 2010

I have a summer Israeli couscous dish I will be posting later this week that I think you will LOVE. I think it’s adorable that you are going antique hunting. Do what you like and live it up! :)

Trudy July 31, 2010

Wow, those meals look fantastically delicious!!

Erin July 31, 2010

I love all of the interesting things you can find at the farmer’s market that would never make it to grocery store shelves, at least not around here. It’s the best way to try new produce and learn about entirely new (delicious!) foods.

tanyasDailyProductReviews July 31, 2010

your dinner looks great and those grape tomatoes look yummy

The Wife of a Dairyman July 31, 2010

I know what you mean about the blueberries….my 5 year old son can polish off at least 2 pint of them at one sitting! Then he sits on the pot for a while. {I have a kid that craves fruit, and a lot of it} Glad you had a great day. Have fun antique shopping, I just did that myself in Healdsburg, CA! FUN.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 31, 2010

MMM, those carrot cake muffins look great!! I know I’d buy them if I were at the market. I might have asked this already, but do your send your Globars to other farmer’s markets or only the one that you go to sell at personally?

AngelaOSG July 31, 2010

Just this current market :)

holly @ couchpotatoathlete July 31, 2010

I love looking at Antiques! A friend of mine owns a little antique shop in northern MN and I love going there to look at the old things! There is so much history and beauty in old things. I hope you find some good stuff!

I do that too, where I try to save time by flying around like a maniac — if I would just be patient and take my time I would be fine, but I try to do too much and end up LOSING time as a result.

Estela @ Weekly Bite July 31, 2010

I always wondered how early the sellers who work the farmers market woke up?

Glad you had a great day, despite the rough start :)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is July 31, 2010

The tomatoes are so pretty they don’t even look real! They look like little sparkly ornaments. :)

Emily July 31, 2010

Congrats on being done with the Market!! Enjoy the blissful weekends of summer that are left, they are so precious:)

jassy July 31, 2010

kudos to eric for being kind…and those tomatoes are interesting–do they taste differently compared with the usual tomatoes? :)

i’m afraid of antiques because they say every furniture has a story and the spirit of the previous owner goes with the furniture…oooh…not trying to scare you though :)

eatmovelove July 31, 2010

Farmer’s Markets are just the best. Unfortuntely, there is nothing like that where l llve now…no culture :(…oh well, it is what it is right now. I’d actually take your morning over waking up every morning still feeling sick from all the food consumed a mere few hours earlier :(

Ameena July 31, 2010

A husband’s sole purpose is to scrape his wife off the ground…definitely. I’m glad you found one of the good ones Angela!

I’m so glad your had a good day at the market today!

Annie@stronghealthyfit July 31, 2010

Cute tomatoes! Sorry about your knee.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter July 31, 2010

Smiling and meditating on a weekend morning or a morning where I don’t have to be at work at 7AM sounds absolutely fantastic. I’m going to try it.

Heather (Heather's Dish) July 31, 2010

oh man, what a fall! i haven’t had a bruise on my knee in ages, but i remember well enough to know that it’s NOT fun. at least the market went well! those baby tomatoes are the cutest and most beautiful colors :)

Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine July 31, 2010

Sounds like a really hectic morning, but congrats on almost selling out! :) sounds like market business was really successful this weekend!

+ love that butterfly, it’s so beautiful. (random? :) )

Pam July 31, 2010

Way to be flexible with the schedule! I go nuts when something gets in the way of my morning routine. And sooo frustrating to not be able to fall asleep!

At least you had a great day at the market! Great way to end before the month off :)

Sarah for Real July 31, 2010

Those tomatoes look like Christmas tree ornaments. So shiny!

Kristina August 1, 2010

weird… I had insomnia SO bad last night !! I was awake and UP until 5 am… then I slept until 8… napped again for a couple hours before we had plans with friends.

I feel like a Loop Zombie today!

JenATX August 1, 2010

Hahaha you jump over the 30s-60s! At least your hubby will antique with you :)

Wei-Wei August 1, 2010

Aw, I’m sorry you had a rough morning! At least the rest of the day shaped up, though. Your sales really are getting better and better… congratulations! Oh, and what a wonderful-looking dinner ;)

Wei-Wei

Amanda August 1, 2010

That universe will get you every time. But at least it didn’t take it out on the Glo Bar profits! Good job, you guys need a break from these early saturday mornings!

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs August 1, 2010

I hate mornings like that!! They always throw you for the day and put you in a bad mood :( at least the market went well though! And it looks like you picked up some great produce-verrry jealous over here :P

Clare August 1, 2010

I like the blueberry coma! Sometimes I get “stoned” standing at the kitchen sink washing fruit-because it’s so pretty! Pretty colors! (My husband thinks I’m a wierdie!)

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day August 1, 2010

I love antiques and I’m only 26 too :) I’ve really gotten into antique dish ware though and wish I could afford some. Good luck and don’t be put off by the smell of antique shops – you know it’s authentic that way :)

Kendel @ Eating Abroad August 1, 2010

I still need to make your tomato bake, thanks for the advice to stick to cherry tomatoes. I also tried the purple Russian tomatoes for the first time this summer, they are so juicy and sweet.

lindsay August 1, 2010

Congrats on a great day at the market. Sorry abot the bum knee. i hate those mornings, ugh! But at least its all said and done. Tomorrow is a new day!

Maureen August 1, 2010

Not sure why you think antiquing is for the old, antiquing is to find the old. I have been going to flea markets since I was a young girl, my father liked to go and I loved to go with him. I still have my very first purchase of a creamer and sugar bowl. Every week we would go I would look at the set and after 2 months bought it which I just realized was about 35 years ago. I have picked up many treasures over the years some that I have kept and others that were gifts. I am actually meeting up with a friend today in Aberfoyle to see if I can find an old door for my garage. Happy hunting Angela I hope you find something for your home.

Kris August 1, 2010

Haha! 79 year olds don’t antique; they’re too busy getting rid of all the junk they collected during their younger years. I used to antique in my 20s too. I don’t anymore. Once you get what you need you’ve got it, so enjoy your antiquing now.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 1, 2010

Rushed mornings after a bad night’s sleep are always the worst! I’m glad things got better once you got to the market! :) Congrats on such awesome sales!

Camille August 1, 2010

The Japanese tomato is really cool and unique looking! Does it taste different from a regular tomato?

Dani @ Body By Nature August 1, 2010

What about a carrot cake like Glo bar?

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ August 1, 2010

Karma that sucks. But it sounds like the market went really well. I love antique’s also. It’s just such unique, classic, one of a kind things.

Kate August 1, 2010

Hi,
I’ve never commented on your blog before – but I follow it (if somewhat sporadically). My mum’s been very sick over the past 10 years (weigners and cancer) and follows a similar (although more strict because of the illness) diet to you (vegan, organic, lots of juices etc) and I’ve passed some of your recipes onto her.

I thought I’d return the favour – I’m not sure if you’ve ever tried it – but Isreali cous cous! It’s AMAZING! My mum roasts vegies with extra virgin olive oil, balsamic, sea salt, pepper and fresh herbs, then tosses the vegies through the israeli cous cous, adds some chick peas and/or other bean, and some olives (for a treat, she’ll have a little goats cheese – it’s not vegan, but apparently it’s ok for her). Serves with a herb side salad and dressing from french mustard, apple cider vinegar, flax seed oil, lemon juice and garlic.

it’s amazing! i think you’d really love it.

Regardless, you should definitely check out the cous cous! it’ll make you smile!

thanks for the blog!

Dana in KC August 1, 2010

I love antique hunting and have been doing since I was a teen! I guess we just have “old souls”.

k8 August 2, 2010

See if you can find “green sausage” tomatoes. They are longer and skinnier then the purple russians and are green with lighter green or yellow stripes. They are my FAVORITE heirloom tomato. Purple russians come in second, but still are lovely, lovely.