Uphill Then Downhill

IMG 4727 thumb   Uphill Then Downhill

Do I have to eat this thing?!

I’m scared.

I stuffed this CSA fennel in the crisper with all my might and I am pretending like it’s not really there. I ate one of the green branches and it was scary. Hopefully incorporating it into a dish will make it come alive! Well, not literally ‘alive’ but you know…

Thank you all for your super insightful and honest comments on today’s Learning How To Dismiss Negative Thoughts post. I picked up a few more tips and tricks for my own positive-thinking holster!

The weather has just been so beautiful here this week. The humidity is low (finally!) and the sun is shining. It was about 21C, windy, and crisp. I actually had goose bumps at the start of my run today, but those didn’t last long!

The run:

• Distance: 6 miles
  • Time: 52:02
  • Avg Pace: 8:40

Mile splits:

• Mile 1: 9:02
  • Mile 2: 8:54
  • Mile 3: 8:42
  • Mile 4: 8:51
  • Mile 5: 8:17
  • Mile 6: 8:06

It was a strong negative split. My last mile was run to ‘Magic’ by B.o.B. Very energizing way to finish when sprinting.

After my run I had a Green Monster and this is where it started going downhill

I wanted to use up the rest of the Swiss chard to make room for last night’s CSA pick-up. The Chard Green Monster contained: 4 large chard leaves + stems, 1.25 cup almond milk, 1 large frozen banana, 1 tbsp chia seeds, ice.

IMG 4610 thumb   Uphill Then Downhill

It tasted fine, but after I drank it, my stomach felt SO nauseous and has felt that way all day long.

Chard, it looks like you won this battle! I do not want to see chard for a very long time. I was starting to be ok with it and now I am turned off by it all over again!

I managed to eat lunch even though I wasn’t really feeling well. I knew I needed a good lunch in me for post-run recovery. I had 1.5 cups chickpeas, Italian tomato sauce, hummus, tomato paste, Herbamare, and pepper.

IMG 4502 thumb   Uphill Then Downhill

It was delicious! I will definitely be doing this again.

I munched on these carrots sprinkled with Herbamare and ground black pepper:

IMG 4513 thumb   Uphill Then Downhill

(Eating the Carrot showgirl was a bit weird, not going to lie.)

Not sure what is on the agenda for dinner tonight, but probably leftover Healing Stew…looks like I could use a little healing tonight!

We used another gift card at Pier 1 Wednesday night.

I got this pillow on the left for $17:

IMG 4746 thumb   Uphill Then Downhill

We also picked up two more pillows, a basket, and some decorative flowers from another nearby store.

IMG 4748 thumb   Uphill Then Downhill

I wanted to get a clear square vase for the flowers, but I haven’t found one yet.

IMG 4759 thumb   Uphill Then Downhill

I brought an ivory throw out of the linen closet for the couch:

IMG 4752 thumb   Uphill Then Downhill

Basket under the coffee table! Makes everything look tidy.

IMG 4740 thumb   Uphill Then Downhill

It is ridiculous how many remotes we have!!!

IMG 4741 thumb   Uphill Then Downhill

I think I know how to use one of those remotes.

On a good day.

I also revamped this 2 year old picture frame tray, by adding some new pictures.

IMG 4739 thumb   Uphill Then Downhill

I feel like the family room is slowly coming together. Just need to add some prints on the walls, curtains, and score a couple tables and chair. Eric and I might go antique hunting this Sunday for some nice side/coffee tables or accent chairs.

IMG 4766 thumb   Uphill Then Downhill

This is still a major eyesore…

IMG 4756 thumb   Uphill Then Downhill

I think this area needs some kind of a tall corner unit…

Well I am off to work on some more market prep and then kick back and relax with Eric. Have a great night! =)

Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life July 29, 2010

Angela, your family room is gorgeous! Pier 1 is definitely a dangerous store…I don’t allow myself to go there very often, since they hubby is usually not as excited about my purchases as I am! ;)
P.S. – Definitely know where you’re comin’ from with all the remotes – Sheesh!

Allie Finch July 29, 2010

Ooh — I love love love fennel. I like to saute it with grated ginger until soft & translucent; then add fruit-only apricot jam & a dash of tamari; fold in chopped baby bok choy, cooking just until greens are bright & slightly tender but still crisp. The apricot & fennel totally make each other. You are so lucky!

LizLivingVegan July 29, 2010

“Magic” by B.O.B is on my running playlist right now too!!! I also just added Dynamite by Taio Cruz, and it’s another good upbeat running song :)

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com July 29, 2010

can i live on that sofa? haha. i could call it ‘home’ <3

Janine July 29, 2010

So fun watching the decorating progress, Angela!

There are 2 kinds of fennel (generally speaking) – florence fennel is grown primarily for the bulb. There’s also a second kind (no idea what the name is) grown primarily for the fronds. It barely produces any bulb…if any at all. Your fennel is the florence type, and the fronds can be eaten as well as the bulb. BUT, it looks like the weather has been hot by you (??) because the bulb didn’t “bulb out”. When it gets too hot, fennel bolts, and the fronds grow very quickly and flower out if you don’t get to it in time; the energy of the plant goes to the stems and fronds and not to the bulb. Your bulb should be thick, almost like a potato at the bottom (but not potato shaped), with the stems starting at the very top of the bulb, not at the bottom. Check out the fennel when you hit the store next time, and you’ll see what I mean. I adore fennel in a pureed soup (someone earlier mentioned it…it really is to die for), and I grow it every year in an effort to get it to “bulb out”, but it’s just too darn hot here. So sad…..and yet I still try every year. The butterflies love it, so I suppose I will be happy growing fennel for them until – someday – we have a cool spring/summer!

Your fennel might have to be primarily for the fronds, though you can brave the stems and “non-bulb”. It is definitely a taste unlike anything else out there…..oh, I want me some fennel right now!! I just composted all of my “non-bulbs” yesterday. Boo!

Maya July 29, 2010

Sauteed fennel is one of my favorites! Raw fennel tastes like licorice, which I don’t like, and took some getting used to for me. Orangette has a lovely carrot fennel soup:

Amanda July 29, 2010

You know, I think we all have that eye-sore corner in our homes! Stuff you can’t get rid of and desperately try to remedy.

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty July 29, 2010

Fennel in juice is fantastic… so I’m sure it would be in smoothies too?!?!
Also roasted fennel is soo good!!

Your living room is looking gorgeous!! :)

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) July 29, 2010

That’s a lovely bunch of fennel! :)

We have waaay to many remotes, too! Drives me nuts, lol.

Jenn

Laura July 29, 2010

Hey Angela,

We grew fennel in our garden for the first time this year, and I was scared too, but here’s what to do. Shave it or slice it very thinly and make a salad with radicchio and endive if you have them, orange juice and white wine vinegar and olive oil and sea salt. Put orange or grapefuit slices on top. Slice red onion SUPER thin and add that too. Pumpkin seeds with make it sing. YUMMMY! Seriously. Let the fronds go, use the stalk and don’t be afraid.

She-Fit July 29, 2010

Want to come over and decorate my place! I love it. You did such a great job. The colors go perfect.

Gypsy July 29, 2010

Jamie Oliver does some really nice simple delicious things with fennel –
Can’t wait to see what you come up with :)

I’m obsessed with pillows. I wish I had more couches and beds just to have the excuse to buy more pillows. Have fun antique shopping! Everything here in LA is way overpriced – no such thing as a proper yard sale/flea market with decent prices here!

Cynthia (It All Changes) July 29, 2010

I hear the bulb is the most flavorful part of fennel so I would get rid of the arms.

BTW will you come decorate my house. I’m in need of help and I have no time. :-)

MarathonVal July 30, 2010

Fennel is delicious in a green juice – tastes like licorice, in a good way… I don’t typically like licorice but it makes the juice taste slightly reminiscent of candy, always a good thing :)

Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales July 30, 2010

Sorry to hear that you weren’t feeling too well. Hopefully it has passed and you’ll feel better today.

Mandy Kirk July 30, 2010

Hi Angela! I have been following your blog for a couple of months now, and love when it pops in twice a day!
Just wanted to touch base with you re the chard – a few months ago I got into the habit of doing a green juice every morning, and could never find the chard to put in. Then saw some at a food fair and thought aha! now I can do the real thing, and I felt SO sick for the rest of the day just like you. DIdn’t think it could be the chard though and tried again the next day, and the same thing happened – so, chard is off my list too, and I use spinach and kale instead! I’ve only recently been brave enough even to try green juices again!! Isn’t that weird?!

Rosey Rebecca July 30, 2010

That first picture of you is hilarious. I hope that works out for you. :-)
Love the pillow and your whole couch set-up. Also love the photo tray!
Hope your stomach feels better today!

Annie@stronghealthyfit July 30, 2010

That’s a fast run! I’m impressed :-)
Your living room looks fabulous.

Kelly July 30, 2010

I love your family room right now, especially the new pillows- they are the perfect accent color :) Sorry about the chard incident, I don’t think I could eat that without it hurting my tummy either- i have to be so careful!

jenna July 30, 2010

i love your decorations!

Your photos look so vibrant in the tray frame. You got them printed at costco?

Jenny Allenq July 30, 2010

OMGosh!!! I thought I was the only one who gets sick from Swiss Chard!!! I make fresh juices every morning from our CSA basket and every time I add chard as my ‘greenery’, I am totally nauseous and sick the rest of the day. Wonder what’s in in that makes our bodies reject…..I want to love it but…..

Jenny @ Jentree Whole Foods July 30, 2010

Hey- just read that because chard is so high in potassium a quik shot of it (like in juice or Green Monster) could upset your stomach and make you nauseous! Guess I’ll stick to kale/spinach, etc!!!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter July 30, 2010

I know that Target has some really great clear, square, skinny vases

Kristin July 30, 2010

If you want to just get your feet wet with fennel, it’s really good if you roast it in the over in parchment paper packets. I put some sliced fennel (the bulb, not the fronds), some sliced onions, some chopped green olives, some capers, lemon juice, olive oil, and salt/pepper onto a piece of parchment. Fold it up nice and tight and bake it in the oven at 400 degrees for about 10-15 minutes. I serve it over quinoa and it’s really tasty! Enjoy! Let me know if you try it! When you cook it, the flavor is MUCH milder and I really prefer it.

Annie July 30, 2010

Hey Angela! This is my first time commenting but I’ve been catching up on your blog for the past month. It’s great! I’ve spread the word about your blog and delicious recipes to many family members and friends. Just wanted to give you an idea for the fennel. Vegan with a Vengeance has a great pizza recipe and includes fennel. It uses homemade vegan sausagecrumbles (tempeh), sliced fennel, sliced russet potato, sliced garlic, and homemade pizza sauce. You can choose to add vegan mozzarella if you want. It is one of the best pizza recipes I’ve tried!

Have a great day!

Rachel July 30, 2010

I saw square glass vases in a variety of sizes at Kitchen Stuff Plus last night, so you could check that out next time you’re in Toronto (or if there’s one closer to you).

Erin July 30, 2010

I LOVE that pillow from Pier 1!

Haha, I felt exactly the same way you do when I first got fennel in my CSA. All I had heard about fennel was that it tasted like licorice, and I hate licorice, so I had no idea what to do. I read that roasting it made it taste less like licorice, so I started with roasted fennel and portobello stromboli, and roasted fennel vegan quiche, and liked both! Now I’m used to it enough to eat it raw in a salad – it’s really good with orange!!! I’ve also used fennel fronds in place of dill in chickpea “tuna” salad. Get crazy with the fennel, you just might like it!

Regarding the chard incident, I’ve made green juices with chard and had no problems. I can’t do beet juice though, as it made me upchuck once, so I guess to each their own!

Sarah for Real July 30, 2010

My living room is brown with green accents too! I love the pillows :D

Maybe you should consider a Harmony remote if you see one on sale. They are really coming down in price, are super duper easy to program (hook it up to the computer and it does all the work for you) and then it’s brainless to use. My mom can even use one! We got one more than three years ago and it’s still kicking plus we get to put AWAY all but one little remote. No more clutter!

Jessica July 30, 2010

Fennel & Chard are great! Here is how I use them… you may like it. Here goes..

WIth Fennel- discard the stems and dice up the bulb raw and toss into salads- they work well with dates, mixed greens and a mustard-y dressing. You can also add the little hairy fronds that hang off the stems if you like. Another option is to slice the bulb into 1 inch thick pieces and braise with garlic, earth balance, evoo & madeira wine.

With Chard.. de-stem and slice the leaves ribbon thin. Take some olive oil and minced garlic in a skillet and saute, adding the chard. Add a bit of wine- red or white, a veggie bouillon cube and let it reduce. Then sprinkle with Italian breadcrumbs and a touch of nutmeg.

Enjoy!! (I hope)

Amber K July 30, 2010

That is a totally cute way to keep all of the remotes together! We need one of those!

amanda @ Hungry Vegan Traveler July 30, 2010

I hear roasted fennel is good. Doesn’t roasting work well for everything, anyway?

Tracey July 30, 2010

I love your living room! I desperately need to do some decorating in my house. Chris and I have been in it for two years now and we haven’t made it feel like home yet. Any tips would be great!

Sabina July 30, 2010

Angela, fennel is really good on the BBQ! Cut the bulb in half or quarters, season, spray with cooking spray/coat in oil, and BBQ away. I also love it in stir-fries (instead of celery). I’ve never seen one with so much… foliage before! Love, love, love your facial expression in that picture! Please post about how you end up cooking it. :-)

Courtney July 30, 2010

I LOVE fennel! A few suggestions: slice it, toss with olive oil, salt & pepper and roast it in the oven for about 15 minutes or so at 350F, or until tender. This is one of my favorite ways to eat fennel in the winter.

Or, my recent fave: use a mandolin and shave the fennel really (really) thin. Segment 1 orange, and add it to the fennel. Add in juice from half a lemon, add extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper, and toss. It’s crunchy and slightly sweet and refreshing. Think alternative to coleslaw. I want to eat it right now!

As for the fronds, I normally don’t use them, but I think you can probably use them as a substitution for dill, or really any herb, in a recipe. Perhaps chop up the fronds and toss it with some grape tomatoes and olive oil?

Lindsay July 31, 2010

Hi there! I am also decorating! I just finished re-painting my living room and entrance to my house yesterday. I also sold my couches and tables on craig’s list this week! I am so excited for a new look and new furniture! I am heading to IKEA in a bit to scope out the goodS!!

Marla July 31, 2010

This is what I made today from my market chard and was delish!

I sauteed chard (leaves only,no stem)with olive oil and a bit of garlic for a long time till soft along with a bit of maple syrup,sriracha sauce and tamari sauce(more maple syrup and srirach than tamari,but all to taste…). I added in mushrooms and kidney beans and sauteed away.
Then pured mixture over some brown rice (and I sprinkled a bit of goats cheese feta on top ,but don’t have to!)

This was so yummy and honestly you wouldn’t know if the greens were chard,kale or spinach (I have done this with each of these and always yum! They key is to get the right balnce of sweet maple syrup to spicy sriracha sauce to get the ultimate taste,and to make sure greens thoroughly cooked and soft).

Hope you will try ;) PS Often I will add some pieces of broccoli in too…..

Sarah L. August 2, 2010

I was really frightened of the fennel in my CSA box as well but I made this recipe: http://www.vegan-food.net/recipe/749/Roast-Fennel-and-Tomato-Soup/. If you’re willing to brave making a hot soup in the summer, this one was delicious and roasting the fennel really mellowed out the flavour. I added some wild rice to each serving to bulk it up and garnished it with a few of the fronds, which I have also been chopping up and adding to my salads. :)

Page 2 of 2«12