Uphill Then Downhill

IMG 4727 thumb   Uphill Then Downhill

Do I have to eat this thing?!

I’m scared.

I stuffed this CSA fennel in the crisper with all my might and I am pretending like it’s not really there. I ate one of the green branches and it was scary. Hopefully incorporating it into a dish will make it come alive! Well, not literally ‘alive’ but you know…

Thank you all for your super insightful and honest comments on today’s Learning How To Dismiss Negative Thoughts post. I picked up a few more tips and tricks for my own positive-thinking holster!

The weather has just been so beautiful here this week. The humidity is low (finally!) and the sun is shining. It was about 21C, windy, and crisp. I actually had goose bumps at the start of my run today, but those didn’t last long!

The run:

• Distance: 6 miles
  • Time: 52:02
  • Avg Pace: 8:40

Mile splits:

• Mile 1: 9:02
  • Mile 2: 8:54
  • Mile 3: 8:42
  • Mile 4: 8:51
  • Mile 5: 8:17
  • Mile 6: 8:06

It was a strong negative split. My last mile was run to ‘Magic’ by B.o.B. Very energizing way to finish when sprinting.

After my run I had a Green Monster and this is where it started going downhill

I wanted to use up the rest of the Swiss chard to make room for last night’s CSA pick-up. The Chard Green Monster contained: 4 large chard leaves + stems, 1.25 cup almond milk, 1 large frozen banana, 1 tbsp chia seeds, ice.

IMG 4610 thumb   Uphill Then Downhill

It tasted fine, but after I drank it, my stomach felt SO nauseous and has felt that way all day long.

Chard, it looks like you won this battle! I do not want to see chard for a very long time. I was starting to be ok with it and now I am turned off by it all over again!

I managed to eat lunch even though I wasn’t really feeling well. I knew I needed a good lunch in me for post-run recovery. I had 1.5 cups chickpeas, Italian tomato sauce, hummus, tomato paste, Herbamare, and pepper.

IMG 4502 thumb   Uphill Then Downhill

It was delicious! I will definitely be doing this again.

I munched on these carrots sprinkled with Herbamare and ground black pepper:

IMG 4513 thumb   Uphill Then Downhill

(Eating the Carrot showgirl was a bit weird, not going to lie.)

Not sure what is on the agenda for dinner tonight, but probably leftover Healing Stew…looks like I could use a little healing tonight!

We used another gift card at Pier 1 Wednesday night.

I got this pillow on the left for $17:

IMG 4746 thumb   Uphill Then Downhill

We also picked up two more pillows, a basket, and some decorative flowers from another nearby store.

IMG 4748 thumb   Uphill Then Downhill

I wanted to get a clear square vase for the flowers, but I haven’t found one yet.

IMG 4759 thumb   Uphill Then Downhill

I brought an ivory throw out of the linen closet for the couch:

IMG 4752 thumb   Uphill Then Downhill

Basket under the coffee table! Makes everything look tidy.

IMG 4740 thumb   Uphill Then Downhill

It is ridiculous how many remotes we have!!!

IMG 4741 thumb   Uphill Then Downhill

I think I know how to use one of those remotes.

On a good day.

I also revamped this 2 year old picture frame tray, by adding some new pictures.

IMG 4739 thumb   Uphill Then Downhill

I feel like the family room is slowly coming together. Just need to add some prints on the walls, curtains, and score a couple tables and chair. Eric and I might go antique hunting this Sunday for some nice side/coffee tables or accent chairs.

IMG 4766 thumb   Uphill Then Downhill

This is still a major eyesore…

IMG 4756 thumb   Uphill Then Downhill

I think this area needs some kind of a tall corner unit…

Well I am off to work on some more market prep and then kick back and relax with Eric. Have a great night! =)

Heather (Heather's Dish) July 29, 2010

oh my gosh, i am LOVING all of the decorating! it’s so gorgeous…and matches your style PERFECTLY!

good luck with the fennel…i like pork chops with it, but that probably doesn’t really help you much :)

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies July 29, 2010

Woahh – crazy fennel!! I do like fennel – but only roasted…I can’t do it raw…it tastes too much like black licorice at that point, and that’s probably the one candy in the world that I just cannot get myself to like.

Becki @ HikeBikeEat July 29, 2010

It’s like looking at an interior decorator magazine! So pretty!

Meredith July 29, 2010

Love that you’re posting some decorating inspiration. I just moved into a new condo in Toronto and am going crazy trying to furnish the place!

Jessica @ Rawtumn July 29, 2010

Ahhh I love that frame tray you have, so gorgeous! The accent colors you picked for the room are perfect. It’s really coming together!

bitt July 29, 2010

fennel tastes great juiced. i like it with apple, kale, and ginger. yum!

Vegyogini July 29, 2010

Don’t be afraid of fennel; it’s delicious and roasts beautifully! I absolutely love it!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is July 29, 2010

I just love all of the colors! And we have a ton of remotes too.

Moondancer July 29, 2010

Oh I love fennel; I have a huge batch of it growing in my garden. It’s taller than I (which isn’t saying much since I’m only 5′.) Our fennel bush is almost 6′ tall. I add the fennel fronds to my green smoothies, soups, and occasionally as a garnish to a stir fry. I occasionally dry the fronds in my food dehydrator too.

Fennel is a fabulous digestive aid. I’ve used it as a gentle way to eliminate gas and constipation. I also use fennel fronds in tea. I don’t use too much of it, since the licorice like taste can be overpowering.

Melissa M July 29, 2010

I hate black licorice but I love fennel. It is great roasted as other suggest and I really like it sliced super thin with roasted beets (chilled) and some sort of vinaigrette (goat cheese too).

Rachael July 29, 2010

Roasted fennel, roasted garlic, a touch of honey (or agave) and a bit of potato all pureed up makes for a great soup, served hot or chilled. It was an acquired taste for me, but so much grows wild around us that I figured it would be wasteful not to use it. Roasted and dehydrated, it serves as a great vehicle for hummus consumption, too ;)

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ July 29, 2010

The living room is looking really good, love that new green and white pillow.

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' July 29, 2010

I love all the decorating!! Green is one of my FAVORITE colors, and it looks great with the cream and chocolate brown!

I’m pretty scared of fennel and chard, too! Awesome that you tried chard in your green monster, though– I don’t think I’d be that brave!!

Cara July 29, 2010

Fennel definitely has a unique taste, that’s for sure.
Just throw a pretty blanket over the messy corner…disguise it until you
have time to take care of it :)

Sara July 29, 2010

You’re inspiring me to get more pillows! hehe. I love sitting on the couch basically surrounded in them – one behind me, one under my arm, one under my leg, etc. lol

Carla in Sydney July 29, 2010

No idea if this is what you are suffering from but sometimes I get very, very nauseous about 2 hours after I run if I don’t eat immediately after my run….especially if I have run further than usual or pushed harder than I normally do. It happened to me after a race last Sunday and I was so sick for most of the day.

I successfully made your vegetable stew last night and it is delicious! Finally some success in the kitchen for me. We are having it for dinner tonight with some crusty bread (I am a carb junkie!!) :-)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) July 29, 2010

oooooh how cool is that picture frame tray! love it!!

Lauren M. July 29, 2010

Ahhhh! I HATE FENNEL! I have tried to eat it raw….BLECH! I tried to eat it cooked….VOMIT! I made this super nice meal for my boyfriend and I, and it had sauteed fennel in it. We took one bite, looked at each other, laughed at the distgustingness of it all, then went for sushi. haha. Sorry to be the Debbie Downer, maybe you will find a way to tame the fennel????

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 29, 2010

Oooh the photo tray is gorgeous! I love how you and Eric have incorporated so many personal touches into your decorating.
When I first tried fennel, mine was about half the size of that one and only had about 3 or 4 stalks. If you’re looking for ideas, I sauteed mine with some onions and herbs as a side dish. It was alright – didn’t love it but it was an interesting little change!

Rhea (Greek Feaster) July 29, 2010

LOL @ eating the carrot showgirl! Does that make you some sort of cannibal?!

We got fen-fen in our CSA, too. My favorite way to eat it is in a cold salad: 1 bulb fennel, sliced thinly – 2 tsp. olive oil – juice of 1/2 lemon – salt, peppa and some fen fronds sprinkled on top. Truly refreshing. Nothing wrong with throwing some romaine in there, too!

tanyasDailyProductReview July 29, 2010

that fennel is huge!

Heather @ Side of Sneakers July 29, 2010

That fennel is INSANE!!! I love your decorating taste :) I just love that color green!

Courtney (Delightful Devours) July 29, 2010

Pretty! It looks beautiful! (on a side note, there is a lot of decorating going on in the blogging community today!)

Paige @ Running Around Normal July 29, 2010

Love all the finds!! I looove green + brown together.
Awesome run, girlfriend :)

Mary July 29, 2010

The key to fennel, is NOT to eat the stalk part, not at all! save that for veggie stock or something, then use the non-stalk part either sliced super thin raw in salads or thicker and roasted. I love it (but then again, I love lots of weird veggies, including chard)!

Tina July 29, 2010

I just ADORE what you are doing in the living room. It looks absolutely beautiful. You have a great eye.

That is a huge thing of fennel. I think I have only gotten the bulb before. I would have no clue what to do with the stalks.

I hope you’re feeling better.

Rachael @ mrs-adventure July 29, 2010

I did a spin off overnight oats and made a “cookie” thing that I pour almond milk over and it’s fantastic you mist try it ;-) head over to my blog for the recipe I swear you will love it!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] July 29, 2010

love love your picture tray. you’ve got a great decorative eye, ange : )

Jennifer July 29, 2010

There’s a really delicious recipe in Eat, Drink, & Be Vegan for a quinoa confetti dish that uses fennel. If you have the cookbook, you should give it a try!

holly @ couchpotatoathlete July 29, 2010

We have just as many remotes! I love all of your new accents. I love the Pier 1 pillow. I love Pier 1 anything because I worked there through high school and college.

I really like the green/cream/yellow colors in your living room. It is really getting pulled together nicely!

Callie July 29, 2010

That fennel is crazy. I still can’t get myself to love weird veggies…
Our house is the same way, we have way too many remotes. I forget what most of them are for. haha.
I love those new pillows. Your living room looks great.

Kris July 29, 2010

How is Eric w/ all those pillows? DH constantly complains about pillows, and we only have six in the living room (4 on the sofa, 2 on the loveseat). I have to show him your pillows so he knows I’m not excessive :) Looks great!

Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine July 29, 2010

The decor is beautiful! :) I love the colors all together.

Aw, sucks about the swiss chard. I know a lot of people don’t take very well to it. It works OK for me though, so I’m glad. :)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 29, 2010

That fennel looks like some kind of sea monster! I’m interested to see how you use it! Personally I like it in soups or sliced into a salad with oranges!

Your living room is looking great. I love the tray with the photos in it!

Bridget July 29, 2010

That is the biggest fennel I have ever seen!!! I would probably run in fear if I got too close to that thing haha :P

Wei-Wei July 29, 2010

I love all the green! But I’m sorry that Green Monster did you wrong. Do you just not like the taste of chard, or does it really make you feel sick??

Wei-Wei

Chelsea (Chelsea's Chew and Run Fun) July 29, 2010

Your living room looks stunning! I love the color scheme you have, green always makes such a nice accent and theme.

Speaking of green, sorry to read your morning green monster left you feeling shoddy all day. I think you have the right idea eating that leftover healthy and healing stew for dinner!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie July 29, 2010

Fennel is really a wonderful herb! You can use it in smoothies, marinades an salads. Just chop it up to make it less scary. hehe

Pure2Raw Twins July 29, 2010

Fennel is great, I am sure you will love it ;) You are such a great decorator I would love to hire you to do my place!!

Angela July 29, 2010

Grill the fennel. Chop off the green bits, thinly slice the white part, use a little EVOO, salt and pepper, and grill it. A-Mazing!

Page 1 of 212»