It’s All About The Accent

Top of the morning to you!

I had a fabulous 8 hours of sleep last night! Wheeeeee. No nicky nicky nine door antics. This is progress.

IMG 4450 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

My Vegan Overnight Oat Parfait was killer this morning. I feel like I haven’t had one in forever!!! Her Mix-A-Lot has been getting all of my love and adoration lately.

Carob, Cacao, & PB Vegan Overnight Oat Parfait

Ingredients:

• Carob Vegan Overnight Oats (1/2 cup oats, 1.5 tbsp chia seeds, 1.25 cups almond milk, 1.5 tbsp carob powder)
  • Peanut Butter Banana Soft Serve (1 frozen banana processed with 1 tbsp peanut butter)
  • 1/4 cup Rice Crisp cereal (for layering)
  • Cacao nibs (for layering)
  • Carob powder, for garnish
  • Homemade raw chocolate, for garnish
  • Unsweet. coconut, for garnish

Directions: Make the carob Vegan overnight oats by whisking the ingredients together in a small bowl and leaving in fridge overnight or for 1-2 hours. In the morning, Make the PB Banana Soft Serve. Layer the soft serve with the VOO, cacao nibs, and rice crisp. Sprinkle with carob powder and coconut. Add two chunks of homemade chocolate and enjoy!

IMG 4439 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

This was incredible! I love, love, love the rice crisp added as a layer in the middle. Same with the cacao nibs. So crunchy!

IMG 4465 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

My Simple Decorating Trick: Pick a colour scheme!

Ok, so last night I promised you some decorating footage!

On Sunday, I realized that Eric and I still had gift cards that were given to us for wedding gifts almost 2 years ago! We had gift cards to William Sonoma, Pottery Barn, Winners, and Crate & Barrel. I asked Eric to come with me and he said he ‘trusted me’ to do it alone. aka…he hates shopping! So I tackled it myself like a champ. One of my favourite things to do is decorate, so I didn’t mind.

We finished renovating and painting the family room in Fall 2009. And then we left it. No decor, no colour, nothing on the walls. We were scared.

It occurred to me that the reason why we never ‘finish’ decorating rooms is because we never develop a colour scheme to guide us.

I thought the colour scheme of chocolate, lime, and lemon would look awesome together (with yellow and green being the accent pieces). I picked those colours because there is a lot of chocolate already in the room (couch, wood, bricks) and I picked yellow and green because there are some engagement pictures I want to blow up that have yellow and green in them. The room naturally has lots of green in it with the large windows and the trees in he backyard too.

Now that I had three colours in mind, it automatically narrowed down a ton of options. I didn’t feel overwhelmed as I usually do when looking for home decor. I just scanned the stores for those three colours and it was so much easier!

One great way to add accent colours is with fun and bright pillows…

The two pillows on the right are from Crate and Barrel and the one on the left is from Wal-mart.

IMG 4484 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

I got 6 so far and might pick up another 2 or 3 as I see fit.

IMG 4483 thumb   It’s All About The Accent IMG 4480 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

I love how something as simple as pillows can transform a room!

IMG 4498 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

Then I bought some accent pieces to add to the room…

This lime green pot is from Winners and the faux fruit are from Pottery barn.

IMG 4467 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

Love this sculpted piece from Winners.

IMG 4472 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

Also both from Winners!

IMG 4473 thumb   It’s All About The Accent IMG 4474 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

The lemon tree is from Pottery Barn (sorry the pic is blurry!)

IMG 4475 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

Right now all of that stuff above is on the fireplace because we don’t have any family room furniture aside from the couch and the Ikea coffee table.

IMG 4500 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

My plan for the fireplace is to remove the large picture on top and add a print with the accent colours to give it more of a pop of colour. Maybe one of our wedding or travel pictures would work there?

I would love to purchase a nice coffee table, corner chest, and small table, but that won’t be for a while. I drooled at all of Crate and Barrel’s furniture…they have some gorgeous things in there.

IMG 4490 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

What I am focusing on right now:

1) Prints for walls (see below)

2) Coffee table

3) Decorative Curtains

IMG 4499 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

Something is definitely still missing to pull this room together!

We will also eventually be putting hardwood on the floors and removing the carpet.

I want to do prints of a few of our engagement pictures. I am going to pick some with the most vibrant green backgrounds. Luckily we have a lot of engagement pictures with bright green in the background so it works perfectly! I am going to do one huge one and 2 smaller ones.

IMG 4499b thumb   It’s All About The Accent

I also want to hang curtains, but I find it so difficult to figure out what would look good!

Ideas?

IMG 4498b thumb   It’s All About The Accent

I really dislike the hunter green blinds that are up right now. I would like to keep them up though because they were custom made and they are good when you need to block out the light. I would just like something to cover them up.

I also haven’t showed you the other side of the room with a fireplace. I will do that in another post.

Today’s question: Do you have a favourite room right now in your living space? Do you have a favourite colour scheme or colours that you are drawn to for home decor?

I am also looking for a colour scheme for the entry way and eventually dining room. Right now we have Biscuit by Sherwin Williams on the walls of the entry way, but that is it.

I’ve got a busy day of work and I am going to squeeze in a run at some point. See you later and enjoy your day!

Shamima July 27, 2010

I love decorative pillows. I tend to go for rich earthtone colours. Our living room has pillows with reds, gold, orange and browns. And I definitely second how great it is to have plants in the living room.

Valerie July 27, 2010

I love how you decorated the place! I agree… color scheme is everything. My room at my parents’ house from before I started college never really had the right theme to it… I love it because it’s mine, but I get so much more excited shopping for my apartment now because I immediately began shopping for specific color pieces (a blue/green/white with some wooden pieces). My friends and I went to iKea the other day and I just about fell in love. I envy you for your many gift certificates! Your place looks gorgeous.

Bethany (Blessed and Inspired) July 27, 2010

I would actually leave your windows just as they are! If you do want to add a treatment, though, I would look into the silk drapes at Pottery Barn – my parents have them and they’re so elegant.

Allison July 27, 2010
Ashlyn Bergman July 27, 2010

I adore your decor! I love reading your blog and trying your yummy recipes! I think the engagement pics would look fab! I would try to utilize all the natural light you can from your windows- not a shabby view. I am really into the curtains that are triangular. You could use a fabric that is a solid pattern or one that you prefer from a fabric store. You can also change them over the years.

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] July 27, 2010

Beautiful house! I think you could be in Martha’s magazine. Love lime green.

Amanda July 27, 2010

have you thought about painting your fireplace a light color to brighten up the room and make the space feel more cohesive? i probably wouldn’t have thought about painting a fireplace myself, but after looking at what they’ve done over at ‘young house love’ it seems like the only way to go!

LOVE your blog by the way! i recently found it and it’s my new favorite daily read – so inspirational =D

Tanya Kummerow July 27, 2010

ha ha, we had the same Ikea coffee table that just fell to pieces. We of course replaced it with another Ikea coffee table (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30045484), just one that was a little more sturdy. It is a dark wood and might go nice in your space as well. Love the lemon and lime theme. I always find it so hard to decorate as well. We decided on a floral scheme for our living room…it didn’t narrow the range very well! Curtains are a bugger…it may take me years still to pick those out. One helpful hint is to find an inspiration piece. That one thing that stands out to you and purchase it (cheap or expensive) and then base the entire room off of that piece. I like to find one piece that is very classy and it usually ends up being pricy, but then I can balance it with lots of cheaper pieces. My inspiration piece in my living room is the lamp shade from Anthropologie (http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?subCategoryId=HOME-LIGHTING-SHADES&id=860028&catId=HOME-LIGHTING&pushId=HOME-LIGHTING&popId=HOME&sortProperties=&navCount=35&navAction=top&fromCategoryPage=true&selectedProductSize=&selectedProductSize1=&color=bla&colorName=BLACK&isProduct=true&isBigImage=&templateType=). Love it! Hope that helps!

Diana July 27, 2010

I’m loving all the green!!! Looks very frest and clean! Can’t wait to see what you do with those walls!
Diana

erica July 27, 2010

i loooove your color scheme! pillows really do add a great punch!
i’m trying to love the color scheme in my home..

Winnie July 27, 2010

I think you should go with curtains that are neutral with some kind of texture that way if you get tired of your color scheme it’s easy and cheap to swap out the accessories. Curtains are so expensive. You should also put up your picture of that beautiful chard.

I tried making VOO but it came out so watery. I left out the chia seeds. Did that make a difference in the thickness? If so, can I use flax meal? I love reading your blog. So funny!

AGS July 27, 2010

So domestic. I consider home decorating one of my weaker points. As for curtains, you may wish to consider a simple white valence — this keeps with the clean and fresh feel of the room, isn’t too expensive, and can be used in later window treatments.

I put together some photo collages for us, as well as some for friends and family, and they were a huge hit. A large collage of photos that make you happy when you look at them, is defnitely one of the best things you can put in a room!

Miranda @ MirandasJeans July 27, 2010

I love the bright green as an accent. Really pops.

Lalla July 27, 2010

your house is just… incredibilmente favolosa!!! W-O-W i like the brics in the wall!!!
And love the acid green you choosed as an accent, my mom has the same color, she think it’s wonderful with brown and with the plants she has in the living room. She is right! ;)
She has neutral courtains that suits the brown of wood and of the sofa, but she added some fabric stripes of the same acid green. This is very nice and (crazy mom) sometimes, when she is tired of the acid green, she take the stripes off and she change it with orange stripes, as well as she puts orange cushions and some orange pots.

Amber K July 27, 2010

I don’t have a particular favorite room in my apartment. In fact, none of the rooms are decorated. I have random things hung up that I’ve made, things that we’ve inherited, and a few pictures. But no color schemes or anything like that. I’m just not creative like that and I don’t pay much attention to that kind of stuff! But your room looks beautiful.

Kaitlin With Honey July 27, 2010

I just want to copy you all across the board! That oat parfait looks out of this world and I love the pops of color in your house! That room is gorgeous.

As for a favorite room, in both my own apartment and in my parents’ house, I have not a favorite room, but a favorite sitting place. In my apartment, I love to curl up in this huge, comfy chair that I scored for $25 off ebay. In my parents’ house, I love to read on their sofa in the living room. I’m getting nostalgic just thinking about it!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 27, 2010

I LOVE your living room!!! My favorite room’s my kitchen- which also has a green color scheme. :D The walls are green, the dishes are either clear or black and white..the appliances are white for the most part (but they’re old and don’t really match, that’s the only downfall!) :)

Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales July 27, 2010

I am so in love with your couch! I have always wanted a big, comfy, stretch-your-legs-out couch like that – heaven!

Nicole P July 27, 2010

Is there any way you could take the blinds down and spray paint them in a different color to go more with your theme? Maybe then you would appreciate them even more. I have always been so lost when it comes to curtains but I would maybe pick a neutral color in the beige family. Something lighter than your couch but not green as the room has a good balance of green in it already and you don’t want to overwhelm the room. I think your house is just amazing by the way- I love those windows!!

Lana July 27, 2010

I totally think green curtains (to match the green pillow) and those wooden blinds would do the trick! It’s looking great so far!!

Jill July 27, 2010

I would get rid of the green blinds and hang indian cotton sheers at either side – layer a pure white one with a lime green one underneath.
I like the picture setup on the wall behind the couch – keeps it simple and uncluttered!

I love decorating too! My hubby and I just picked out a new wall colour for our living room. Can’t wait until its painted, and then I will run wild with accent colours!!!

Ana July 27, 2010

I love your oats pictures and the one today looks amazing!!
So the chocolate that is garnishing the oats is the same you use for the raw chocolate chips??
It almost looks like there is a cookie layer on one side, or cookie crumbs or something… I really want to make that, that chocolate piece looks amazingly good, I want that on my oats too!!!
You are great with decorations, oh my, I would love to have a friend close to me with those talents, I am terrible at decorating and I would like to have my house look nicer than it is now (pretty plain!)
Ana

Lisa @ bakebikeblog July 27, 2010

ooooh I love the new additions! Green is my favourite colour!!!

Emily July 27, 2010

Love the new decor and color scheme! Chocolate and lime green look great together and your house is beautiful! My bedroom right now is my favorite, the color scheme is raspberry, lime and white. I love it for right now but I am addicted to buying new bedding and redecorating. I think there are Pier 1′s in Canada and that’s a great place to get fun decorative stuff :)

Nessy July 27, 2010

The overnight oat parfait looks amazing! Your living room is absolutely gorgeous. I love the color scheme with the chocolate and lime green! That is definitely one of my favorite combinations. I also really like a blue and chocolate color scheme. My friend’s bedroom is those colors and it looks so nice!

Lana July 27, 2010

Your home is looking great!!! Some green curtains (that match the green pillow) would definitely add a little color and brightness to the room. I love all the new nick-nacks you purchased…The room will look incredible as soon as you tackle the decorating monster!!!

Carla in Sydney July 27, 2010

This room looks great Angela! You have done a great job. I love how you can see all the green trees through the glass windows/doors and this matches your colour (not a spelling error: we are odd in Australia!) scheme too. Do you have to cover up the glass?? I think it looks fantastic without any curtains or blinds….so bright and natural looking! The pieces you have chosen complement each other so well.

My colour scheme is red, black and white with touches of silver/grey. My whole house is decorated in these colours….even our dish cloth is red!! I agree that once you know the colours you are looking for, it is so easy to decorate. Can’t wait to see more rooms of your lovely house! :-)

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ July 27, 2010

The chocolate garnish looks amazing.

Audrey July 27, 2010

I love the french doors. I think your plan for the wall pictures looks really good. I really enjoy your posts like this.

Anni July 28, 2010

Hi Angela!
I’ve been a quiet reader for a while but thought I’d comment now, since when looking at your picture I immediately saw white/light green curtaines (don’t know why I was thinking thick stripes but of course some nice print would be great too), something like the colors on one of the pillows you bought.
Thanks for the inspiring blog, reading it is definitely one of the highlights of my day! Keep up the good work!
Greetings from Finland,
Anni

Cara July 28, 2010

Your breakie creations continue to surprise me and leave me speechless! Delish!
I love making my meals special to and really, truly enjoying them.

Kendel @ Eating Abroad July 28, 2010

Your room is certainly coming along. I think the pictures really will make it. Can’t wait to see the finished product.

Alycia @ Fit n Fresh July 28, 2010

Why that VOO looks sooo goooood! I’m gonna have to look into that homemade raw chocolate :)

And your house looks lovely, by the way!

amyt July 29, 2010

LOVE the greens!! And I like the ideas of the prints. The coffee table I got last Christmas would look so good in there – I went with a Big round one, two levels – the bottem is solid wood – the top is trimmed in wood, but the center of it is tiles…..greens are the main colors – I am in love with it!!! I could email you a pic if you like?? amy.thompson@dep.state.fl.us

amanda @ Hungry Vegan Traveler July 30, 2010

That parfait is GORGEOUS! I need to try that some day.

Page 3 of 3«123