It’s All About The Accent

Top of the morning to you!

I had a fabulous 8 hours of sleep last night! Wheeeeee. No nicky nicky nine door antics. This is progress.

IMG 4450 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

My Vegan Overnight Oat Parfait was killer this morning. I feel like I haven’t had one in forever!!! Her Mix-A-Lot has been getting all of my love and adoration lately.

Carob, Cacao, & PB Vegan Overnight Oat Parfait

Ingredients:

• Carob Vegan Overnight Oats (1/2 cup oats, 1.5 tbsp chia seeds, 1.25 cups almond milk, 1.5 tbsp carob powder)
  • Peanut Butter Banana Soft Serve (1 frozen banana processed with 1 tbsp peanut butter)
  • 1/4 cup Rice Crisp cereal (for layering)
  • Cacao nibs (for layering)
  • Carob powder, for garnish
  • Homemade raw chocolate, for garnish
  • Unsweet. coconut, for garnish

Directions: Make the carob Vegan overnight oats by whisking the ingredients together in a small bowl and leaving in fridge overnight or for 1-2 hours. In the morning, Make the PB Banana Soft Serve. Layer the soft serve with the VOO, cacao nibs, and rice crisp. Sprinkle with carob powder and coconut. Add two chunks of homemade chocolate and enjoy!

IMG 4439 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

This was incredible! I love, love, love the rice crisp added as a layer in the middle. Same with the cacao nibs. So crunchy!

IMG 4465 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

My Simple Decorating Trick: Pick a colour scheme!

Ok, so last night I promised you some decorating footage!

On Sunday, I realized that Eric and I still had gift cards that were given to us for wedding gifts almost 2 years ago! We had gift cards to William Sonoma, Pottery Barn, Winners, and Crate & Barrel. I asked Eric to come with me and he said he ‘trusted me’ to do it alone. aka…he hates shopping! So I tackled it myself like a champ. One of my favourite things to do is decorate, so I didn’t mind.

We finished renovating and painting the family room in Fall 2009. And then we left it. No decor, no colour, nothing on the walls. We were scared.

It occurred to me that the reason why we never ‘finish’ decorating rooms is because we never develop a colour scheme to guide us.

I thought the colour scheme of chocolate, lime, and lemon would look awesome together (with yellow and green being the accent pieces). I picked those colours because there is a lot of chocolate already in the room (couch, wood, bricks) and I picked yellow and green because there are some engagement pictures I want to blow up that have yellow and green in them. The room naturally has lots of green in it with the large windows and the trees in he backyard too.

Now that I had three colours in mind, it automatically narrowed down a ton of options. I didn’t feel overwhelmed as I usually do when looking for home decor. I just scanned the stores for those three colours and it was so much easier!

One great way to add accent colours is with fun and bright pillows…

The two pillows on the right are from Crate and Barrel and the one on the left is from Wal-mart.

IMG 4484 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

I got 6 so far and might pick up another 2 or 3 as I see fit.

IMG 4483 thumb   It’s All About The Accent IMG 4480 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

I love how something as simple as pillows can transform a room!

IMG 4498 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

Then I bought some accent pieces to add to the room…

This lime green pot is from Winners and the faux fruit are from Pottery barn.

IMG 4467 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

Love this sculpted piece from Winners.

IMG 4472 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

Also both from Winners!

IMG 4473 thumb   It’s All About The Accent IMG 4474 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

The lemon tree is from Pottery Barn (sorry the pic is blurry!)

IMG 4475 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

Right now all of that stuff above is on the fireplace because we don’t have any family room furniture aside from the couch and the Ikea coffee table.

IMG 4500 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

My plan for the fireplace is to remove the large picture on top and add a print with the accent colours to give it more of a pop of colour. Maybe one of our wedding or travel pictures would work there?

I would love to purchase a nice coffee table, corner chest, and small table, but that won’t be for a while. I drooled at all of Crate and Barrel’s furniture…they have some gorgeous things in there.

IMG 4490 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

What I am focusing on right now:

1) Prints for walls (see below)

2) Coffee table

3) Decorative Curtains

IMG 4499 thumb   It’s All About The Accent

Something is definitely still missing to pull this room together!

We will also eventually be putting hardwood on the floors and removing the carpet.

I want to do prints of a few of our engagement pictures. I am going to pick some with the most vibrant green backgrounds. Luckily we have a lot of engagement pictures with bright green in the background so it works perfectly! I am going to do one huge one and 2 smaller ones.

IMG 4499b thumb   It’s All About The Accent

I also want to hang curtains, but I find it so difficult to figure out what would look good!

Ideas?

IMG 4498b thumb   It’s All About The Accent

I really dislike the hunter green blinds that are up right now. I would like to keep them up though because they were custom made and they are good when you need to block out the light. I would just like something to cover them up.

I also haven’t showed you the other side of the room with a fireplace. I will do that in another post.

Today’s question: Do you have a favourite room right now in your living space? Do you have a favourite colour scheme or colours that you are drawn to for home decor?

I am also looking for a colour scheme for the entry way and eventually dining room. Right now we have Biscuit by Sherwin Williams on the walls of the entry way, but that is it.

I’ve got a busy day of work and I am going to squeeze in a run at some point. See you later and enjoy your day!

Rachel@Random.Life.Balance.Destiny July 27, 2010

We have been in our new house 2 months now, and every single wall in our house is completely bare. I just bought 3 pictures yesterday and was so excited about them. My hubby came home and commented that he doesn’t want pictures with “messages” on them because people will think we’re weird. They’re inspirational quotes and just gorgeous prints, so I was disappointed when he told me he wanted them to go in the basement (which is unfinished and only used for storage!). His idea of decor – his mounted posters of Army of Darkness, Kill Bill or Eddie Vedder….sigh….I wish he’d give me free reign like your husband!

Krystina July 27, 2010

I LOVE the green color scheme. It’s just enough to make it look put together without being over the top. Your breakfast looks so decadent!

Julia July 27, 2010

Hi Angela,

I totally agree with you that you need a theme if you want to achieve a decoration that does look put together.
We have an Africa theme in our living room. The base colours are brown (furniture, couch) and beige/sand (base wall colour, base pillow colour). We than added the African accents with the colours red and orange (pillows, pictures, border on the wall) and with African art like wooden masks and figurines. That creats a very warm atmosphere.
Right now, I’m on the hunt for a floor lamp that would fit in………..

Marathon Bound Gal aka Grace July 27, 2010

OMG, that is the best looking VOO I’ve seen yet, chocolate and peanut butter, it doesn’t get any better than that!

My entire house is done in Southwestern motif, I’ve always loved the Indian and western look! My favorite room in our home right now is our master shower. We recently had it completely gutted and re-done. We now have a complete stand up dual headed slate stone shower with all glass doors. We are about to work on our guest room/office next.

Lizzie July 27, 2010

Angela, you are SO creative! That space looks like it would be a good fit year round.
We are re-doing our kitchen next month and have a bright happy yellow colour scheme courtesy of the previous owner that I love. You are making feel inspired, since I am not really a decorating person :)
Oh, and I tried VOO for the first time the other morning – massive time saver between swimming and work, though I need to remember to whisk and also make more of an effort stirring the PB in. I ended up with a couple of big globs in my mouth . . though no complaints there! :) Could you use cacao powder instead of carob?

Candice @ ChiaSeedMe July 27, 2010

Your new decor looks great! Decorating can be so intimidating. Jon and I were in our house for about 6 months before we started putting stuff on the walls!

We went for a vintage modern feel for our decor, and our color scheme includes chocolate brown (one wall in our living room), robin’s egg blue (dining room) and neutrals. Then we decided to go more fun with our office and painted it more of a brighter pea green. We love it!

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete July 27, 2010

I love your color scheme with the green, and all of your accents on the fireplace just POP!

I don’t have any suggestions for curtains, because I personally like to see the wood accents, but I’m sure you could find something nice at Pier 1 or Crate & Barrel. I’d get a dark brown color maybe — to blend in with the wood but to add some softness.

I like everything to be neutral (tan, brown, beige, white, etc) but to have really colorful prints/photographs hanging up. I do like to get colorful throws or accent pillows too, and that way I can change up the look of the room without spending alot.

Danielle (Run on Green) July 27, 2010

I’m pretty awful at home decorating lol. When I get my own house, I might have to call in reinforcements (a.k.a my mom)

Your bfasts are always stunning :)

bitt July 27, 2010

What a comeback for the parfait. I see you like some chocolate for breakfast too. :-)

We are redecorating our living room too. The old color scheme was blue and red but with a new couch I am going to mix it up a bit. The new couch is chocolate brown (perfect for matching the chocolate drips I might leave on it) and we are accenting with turquoise blue. I love redecorating! I used to do it in my dollhouse as a kid all the time.

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston July 27, 2010

Angela, I think your breakfast looks great! Anyway, I think something sheer-y for the curtains would be nice. It would allow for light to still enter the room but add a little color into the room as well — I’m thinking a light sheer-y color. Hope that helps!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty July 27, 2010

Hey Ang,
I was at home depot yesterday and they have the most beautiful wall paper.. I was thinking about buying some and framing it, it’s so vibrant, lush and gorgeous!! It would make fantastic pops of color!! There were a bunch of green ones too!!

Looks awesome though, you’re doing a great job!! :)

Kelly July 27, 2010

Oh I love all he green details!! Green is my favorite color :) As for curtains.. I think a cream/off-white sheer curtain would look awesome.. with maybe grommets for holes?

I love our living room because it is a soothing sage green color and has lots of cushy seating! It’s so cozy :)

Naomi(oneFF) July 27, 2010

the colors in that room…WORK I love the accents :)

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman July 27, 2010

That looks great! I love decorating, too, but since I move every year and still rent most of my stuff is white. It works in just about every place you could possibly live. I don’t really have accent pieces because I think it’s a waste to buy them when you’ll move again and may not have room for them. One day, though, I’ll reach my dream of owning a house and then go to town. Or, you know, wish I had the money to go to town!

Carla July 27, 2010

Your home is beautiful…and I love, love, love your couch!!!! Looks super comfy!!!!:)

Amy @ be.you.ti.fully, a.musing July 27, 2010

Love the colour scheme! I could see a close-up pic of you and Eric smoochin’ for above the fireplace! ;) Or that last one on your wedding page? Something that says “family.” Can’t help with curtains, I’m kinda clueless there.

Margarita July 27, 2010

Your home is beautiful, I love the big open room. Have you ever thought of painting out all the dark wood into white?

Wei Wei July 27, 2010

These are great tips! I actually thougt you were going to talk about your Canadian accent for a second ;) I think it’s cute, by the way. :D

Wei Wei

Kat @ My Fruity Life July 27, 2010

I love those tall , large windows in your living room. I dream of big windows like that. If I were you, I wouldn’t cover them up with shades. I like the bare, clean look. I see a lot of bare windows in the Pottery Barn catalogs…and the trim may be painted white. I think their just lovely with nothing on them.

April @ Crazy Fabulous Life July 27, 2010

I think my favorite room in the house is probably the girls’ room. We just painted it this purple color that has just a hint of pink about and we bordered the room in white. It’s precious!

Alyson @ Nourished Fitness July 27, 2010

I love your style! If I win the lottery I would like to hire you as my decorator along with a lifetime supply of Glo Bars :)

Nikki T July 27, 2010

Loving the color scheme you went with…it’s the same as my house! I also have an ‘unfinished’ living room as furniture is expensive! We need new couches, coffee table and possibly an area rug, but for now I’ve gone with using pillows for pops of color- they are the same green as your fruit bowl! Love it!

Jessica July 27, 2010

I love what you have done with your den/living room so far! I am in the process of decorating our new house (we are just renting, but we still need to hang pictures, curtains, etc.) I have always liked curtains that go to the floor. They add so much drama to any room! I don’t like spending much money, so I have bought curtains from Target (their store brand) and I really like Walmart’s Canopy line. I think a neutral color would work well for your drapes, like a tan/taupe color. Happy decorating! : )

Jessica July 28, 2010

Oh my gosh! I just realized I have that same pillow from Walmart. I actually bought it the other day. Good choice!

Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine July 27, 2010

A color scheme seems so simple yet I’ve never thought of it before. What a great idea! I’ll keep it in mind… for when I actually have a real home (college student, moved 5 times in last 2 years). :’{

Callie July 27, 2010

Those oats look so good! I’m drooling over the chocolate. :)
I love your bowl with the fake lemon and limes.
Maybe I’ll redecorate our living room today? Thanks for the tips!

Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous July 27, 2010

I just added some new accent decorations to my living room as well! Everything I had before was kitchy souveniers from our travels and NOTHING matched. It was driving me crazy! Plus the shelves themselves were a mess and needed some tidying up.

I went with a cool blue/silver color scheme and took out any accessory that wasn’t that color. I picked up a couple of things at Hobby Lobby (a craft and home furnishing store, not sure if you have those) and had some things at home that already matched the scheme.

It looks way better now if I do say so! http://fitfunandfabulous.wordpress.com/2010/07/21/living-room-redesign/

Your home is so beautiful!!! I would love to live somewhere that has a little more nature present. I live in a concrete jungle.

Emily July 27, 2010

Hi Angela! Thanks for the great post. I’m moving into a new apartment on Saturday and am going to be doing some decorating. I get pretty overwhelmed too but was thinking about using green and was confirmed by how great it looks in your living room. There is a lot of brown and cream in my apartment and so I think it’ll really pop and still look clean. :)

Sara July 27, 2010

Our living room is actually a lot like yours – few pieces of furniture, dark brown couch & chair. We went with a dark brown & blues scheme, so very similar to yours! We can’t paint since we’re renting so that would have helped, but the one thing that REALLY brought the room together was the curtains. They’re just a nice blue color but they really accented everything nicely. If you find some green curtains I think they’d have that burst of color that would help make it stand out more. We also put up shelves in our living room so we’d have more room to put decorative stuff like the things you picked up since we don’t have a lot of space otherwise. We filled up the shelves with frames, decorative stuff, etc, and so they serve as a focal point for the room with a few of our favorite things! :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) July 27, 2010

I love my basement, which has a lot of black, white and red. I also love my bedroom that is blue and brown.

Alexandra July 27, 2010

I finally made my first VOO this weekend! Clearly my excitement over oats goes completely unappreciated at home, so I thought it more appropriate to share here. I used Almond milk, Choc. Amazing Grass, Chia (which I am completely in love with), and vanilla. Pretty basic, but SO good! My food processor is broken so I chopped up some frozen banana chunks and mixed them in with PB. Amazing, thank you! P.S. I am new to Almond Milk, I actually don’t drink any milk really. The box needs to be used within 7-10 days, and other recipe ideas to not waste it?

Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies July 27, 2010

Lovin’ the VOO! Yumm! and the green accents in the pillows and other decorations is gorgeous!

Megan July 27, 2010

I think that a cream white or pale yellow would really bring light to the room and still fit within the color scheme. I am not a fan of mini blinds (or any blinds) so I would just take them off and do a cloth window treatment in both or one of those colors. But thats just me :)

Love this post

Grace July 27, 2010

In addition to curtains, an option for the windows is to paint the blinds a different color if you don’t like the hunter green, but don’t want to replace them – maybe in a chocolate brown color? This DIY site has some instructions (although it does a bit time consuming): http://www.doityourself.com/stry/paintingblinds

Carley July 27, 2010

Oh my goodness what a BEAUTIFUL breakfast!!! Your house looks adorable, I especially like how green it is outside (miss that now that I’m living in the desert). You are one talented chica!

Lindsay July 27, 2010

I never used to be any good at decorating, but now my friends ask me for advice. That’s exactly what I tell them — get a color scheme. Once I did that, it was a lot easier. Mine is blue, green and white. I have a studio apartment, so it was even easier because I HAD to make my “bedroom” blue, green and white, too, since it’s in the same room as everything else.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 27, 2010

I love the colour scheme you picked! The room is looking great. :)

For me choosing the colours is the hardest part about redecorating! I’ve been redoing my room this summer and I’m really struggling to pick some colours right now!

Gina (@ Looking Forward) July 27, 2010

I love your posts on decorating! I think you have great taste and I love reading the comments from your readers for even more ideas! I have been wanting to hang original photographs for some time and can’t wait to hear about the canvas outcome, I think that would look fabulous! I am currently trying to peice together some ideas to make my office at work a more enjoyable place to spend 8-9 hours of my day. I started with plants, and am now onto art/photos!

Michelle July 27, 2010

I love the green and brown combo! My bedroom and living room is blue & brown, wedding colors were pink & brown and we have a guestroom that is green & brown. I think there might be a pattern ;)

Laura (B Foxy Fitness) July 27, 2010

Sweeeeet color scheme! I love the citrus colors paired with chocolate. I wouldn’t have thought to put those together, but it rocks! :) You’re such a creative decorator! I’m really digging wall decals right now. They’re like ginormous stickers for the wall (and they remove cleanly and easily). There’s a lot of Etsy sellers who can create custom decals. Might be an idea for that bare wall. Have a fabulous day, girlie!

Dara July 27, 2010

The billowy white semi-sheer curtains as per YHL would be fantastic as they will soften the blinds you already have while still letting the green peep through to go with the room! I personally think this is the best option as anything linen or ivory (while fantastic) are too solid and might make your room heavy looking. Especially considering the gorgeous view and light that your windows provide. But that might just be the summer feel I’m getting. Keep in mind all the seasons here =)

Page 2 of 3«123»