Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 6

Greetings!

I am impressed, the Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Vegan Overnight Oats held me over a full 5 hours this morning! I was high energy all morning long. I swear it is from those chia seeds, bursting with antioxidants, protein, calcium, iron, and fibre! I have been increasing my chia seeds from 1 tbsp to 1.5-2 tbsp in my VOO and I really enjoy it.

The Farmer’s Market went well today! In fact, we had our best-selling week yet. A lot of customers buy the bars in bulk and then pop them in the freezer until they are ready to eat them. It is a great trick if you want them to last a long time. I actually enjoy eating the Glo Bars straight from the freezer in the summer- very refreshing!

The Chocolate Chip Glo Dough and PB + Maple Macaroons sold out by 10:45am!

IMG_4143

I tell everyone about freezing the Glo Dough and then mixing them into banana soft serve…hopefully I have gotten a few people hooked on it.

An elderly man said the funniest thing to me today.

Him and his wife were buying some Glo Bars, and right after his wife said goodbye and walked away the man leaned in close and whispered in my ear:

I have been married to my wife for 49 years and I love her to the high heavens, but just between you and I, her baking makes for good paperweights. I have learned the secret to a happy marriage is to make her think she is the best baker and cook in the world.

Then he gave me a coy grin, winked, and walked to catch up with her, putting his arm around her waist.

True love folks, true love.

I also met some new friends!

Sabrina and Jen (left) came from Buffalo and Natalie (right) and Robert came from a town about half hour outside of Oakville.

IMG_4150 IMG_4147

They are all SO nice..we chatted for a good half hour or longer! Natalie on the right has her black belt! I need her to show me some moves, heh.

It rained again today, but luckily not until the last hour of the market.

Of course, I did not leave the market empty handed!

IMG_4227

I present to you, the most DELICIOUS organic blueberries that Eric and I have ever tasted in our lives. I’m not even joking, I have never tasted blueberries so delicious.

IMG_4223

I walked back to our tent with a bag of goodies and I tried to hide them from Eric (our fridge is already much too full!). I felt like a wife with a shopping addiction hiding price tags from her husband, only my shopping addiction is for weird veggies!

IMG_4225

As soon as I got home, I froze about 1/2 of the blueberries so I can enjoy them all week long. (Let’s be real, they won’t last any longer than that!)

IMG_4221

Eric doesn’t even like Blueberries and he loved these.

Then I purchased some ducks!

IMG_4192

And lined them all up in a row.

IMG_4203

Have you ever seen Yellow Squash any cuter?!

IMG_4199

Like the carrot showgirls, I think I will have a very hard time chopping these up! (No, I have not chopped the carrot showgirls yet…tonight might be the night)

IMG_4194

Then I got something I have been seeing Kath eat for a while now and I have been dying to try them…

IMG_4220

So fuzzy and cute…any guesses?

IMG_4218

That would be Okra!

IMG_4217

I popped one in my mouth and they taste amazing!

IMG_4216

Very mild tasting. I can see why Kath likes making them into fries so much.

IMG_4214

When we got home around 3pm, I was so hungry it is a sheer miracle that I was able to take these shots before chowing down.

I snacked on 3 of my Gluten-free and vegan chewy crackers (made a triple batch this week!) as soon as I got in the door. They kept me sane until I prepped and shot lunch.

IMG_4172

These crackers are so delicious. I have been trying to cut down on buying Mary’s Crackers and I actually prefer these ones. I made enough to last me 2-3 weeks. I also dehydrated this batch for 3 hours at 150F instead of cooking in the oven, but you can use either method.

For lunch I had a super yummy basil, tomato, hummus, and black pepper open-faced toasted Ezekiel sandwich!

IMG_4155

Sadly, this did not last long.

IMG_4156

Copious amounts of hummus and tomato paste on the bottom!

IMG_4159

Wish I still had this right now. And this.

IMG_4166

Then I broke out Her Mix-A-Lot and made another Kale Green Monster

IMG_4176

Bottom layer: 1 cup almond milk; second layer: Amazing Grass Wheatgrass powder; 3rd layer: kale; top layer: frozen banana chunks.

IMG_4178

Smooth as SILK. I seriously cannot handle how smooth the Vitamix gets kale!!!

IMG_4184

IMG_4185

It was soooo energizing and delicious. Happiness ensued.

IMG_4187IMG_4191

Then a huge pot of Japanese sencha green tea to comfort me on this rainy day!

IMG_4167

Well, my stomach is grumbling yet again…I think I am going to grab a snack and then prep dinner. I am thinking a huge veggie roast is in order.

Have a great night!

1 Jodie July 24, 2010

The yellow squash” ducks” look to cute to eat.:) Older couples are so funny, but I like when you can see “true love” emanating from them.

2 Amanda @ Vegacious July 24, 2010

After looking at that sandwich, I suddenly have a craving!!! :D

3 Katie July 24, 2010

So happy the farmers market is going so good for you! I knew it would, Im sure your bars are amazing as EVER! Im sad to say I never tried them but will have to order some for sure, I know they will rock!

So sweet bloggers come out to meet you ! If I lived close I would def be going there too, you are such a beautiful person inside and out!

I am so getting a vitamix one day! Its on my wish list! I have heard how amazing it is! Is it really loud? My fiance hates how loud our blender is now, its just an oster one, but I try to amke as many smoothies as possible and use it when he is home, so he gets more annoyed by the loud sound and says, ok you can get a vitamix!!!!! lol! So I was wondering, I believe the vitamix is not crazy loud, let me know!

xoxo

4 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

yes it is loud but I compare the kind of loudness to a Ferrari…it just sounds right. hahaha

5 Erica July 24, 2010

Those “ducks” are the cutest ever!! And speaking of cute, how cute is that old man? Now thats love!!! She must think he loves her baking so she bakes all the time for him! So cute!

6 Hannah July 24, 2010

Oh goodness, All this food is making me hungry, and I just had dinner too!!!
I have been looking for organic blueberries, apparently the non organic ones are supposed to have alot of spray on them!

7 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter July 24, 2010

If I went to your farmer’s market, there would not be any of your glo bars left. Trust me :)

8 Jen July 24, 2010

Angela it was so nice to meet you too! Your bars are awesome, we enjoyed one or two on the way back to the states. And we did some quality shopping at Whole Foods and IKEA too!

Keep enjoying that Vitamix, it’s one of my favorite appliances too!

9 Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine July 24, 2010

I also have a food/grocery shopping addiction. I just like trying new things so much! :)

10 Natalie July 24, 2010

Hey Angela! I was so pleased to meet you and Eric, and find that you’re both just as kind and outgoing in real life as in your blogs :)

My dad and I indulged in one of your Glo bars on the way home and we were both very impressed! Especially the macaroons – my sister loved hers, and is already looking for forward to the glo ball I’ve saved for her. I also have a feeling that 10 bars will not last us 3 weeks since we’re packing a few for our trip to the States tomorrow!

I hope we get to see each other again soon – I can definitely show you some kick-butt moves! ;)

11 Annie@stronghealthyfit July 24, 2010

So happy for you! The farmer’s market seems like a great thing for your business :-) I love okra too!

12 Ange July 24, 2010

Thanks for sharing the cracker recipe! I”m getting a bit tired of forking out the “dough” for Mary’s Crack!!

13 Robin July 24, 2010

That GM looks sensational!!! My dinky blender definitely doesn’t compare to a Vitamix. (Thought, to be honest, I have no idea how much a vitamix costs and I’m scared to look it up.)

14 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 24, 2010

I bet those blueberries taste wonderful. Yesterday I bought organic strawberries for the first time, and I never realized how much of a difference being organic makes. These are the sweetest and most flavourful strawberries I have ever tasted!!

I’m glad the market was such a success again! :)

15 Rosey Rebecca July 24, 2010

Ok- this is going to sound ridiculous, and maybe even a bit creepy, but your posts make me want to hug you. And here are the reasons why:

1. You make delicious-looking baked goods, all of which I would devour in two seconds flat if I were to order any.
2. I LOVE your dress.
3. You tell funny stories about old men saying cute things.
4. You compare squash to ducks…and put them in a row.
5. You and Kath make me want to eat tons and tons of okra…in one sitting.
6. I have a ridiculous craving for hummus now
7. The second picture of your blender is fabulous…and I’d really love a picture taking tutorial from you.
8. I love anything and everything blueberry, so your huge bowl of em makes me happy.
9. Your smoothie is so green and so wonderful looking.
10. Huge. veggie. roast. Enough said.

The end.

16 Jackie (Peaces of Earth) July 24, 2010

How CUTE is that old man!!!! I hope my hubby is as awesome after 50 years. :)

Congrats again on your success today. Woohoo! All of your finds look so delicious. I love farmer’s market blueberries. They taste like…blueberries!!! Loveeee. And I’m scared of okra’s slimey-ness, but maybe it’s worth getting past??

17 Maria @ ahealthiermaria July 24, 2010

I think I tell you this every week, but I want you to come to my Farmer’s Market!!

Also, I am VERY impressed with the kale:banana ratio in your smoothie! :)

18 Taylor July 24, 2010

Every time you talk about/show pics of your farmer’s market I get so jealous…I want to fly out there just to visit it!

19 Allison @ Food For Healing July 24, 2010

yum yum yum! I’m going to come live with you k!

20 highonhealthy July 24, 2010

Those duck squash are definitely adorable but I am in love with the story about the old man and his wife. That is way too cute! It’s couples like those that make me KNOW that true love exists. It makes me sad to think that so many people don’t seem to get to experience it.

21 Maria @ Oh Healthy Day July 24, 2010

I know this is weird and probably an unpopular opinion, but I LOVE summer rains. I get GREEN (monster) with envy when I see rain on windows. Here in CA it only rains in the winter, when its cold and miserable. Sigh.

Beautiful photos as always!

22 Gypsy July 24, 2010

me too Maria! I’m from the midwest originally and live in CA and I terribly miss the summer rain – and also how it says light until 10pm!

23 Holly @ Self-love and Running July 24, 2010

Blueberries! I made Blueberry Buckle just yesterday with some blueberries that I bought at our farmers market last weekend. Yum!

24 Heather (Heather's Dish) July 24, 2010

you’re not doing anything to keep me from wanting a vitamix! the GM you made today is the most incredible shade of green!

25 Molly @ MollyRunsFresh July 24, 2010

Your dress is so flattering! And I love how you post pictures of the cutest shaped vegetables… show girls and ducks in the matter of a week… thanks for making me giggle :)

26 Molly @ MollyRunsFresh July 24, 2010

by the way… was this your first time trying okra? I love the things so much I will chop them up into rounds and eat them raw. Simple and delish!

27 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

yes it was my first time with Okra…Im in love!

28 Miranda @ MirandasJeans July 24, 2010

Oh to have a smooth a silk kale smoothie. I made a kale smoothie yesterday and though I tried my best, it was not smooth at all, rather chunky and thick. Sometimes I find steaming the kale first work, but I almost never steam the kale.

29 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is July 24, 2010

Those squash are too adorable!

30 Jae July 24, 2010

Lol Angela, Im the same way with shopping for food. I cant be in XXI for more than an hour until I get nauseous, but when Im shopping for food, I tell them that ill be a few hours :)

31 Christine July 24, 2010

I am new to your blog, and I am so impressed with how positive and healthy you are! You really are an inspiration!

32 Kath July 24, 2010

OKRA!! :)

And the Vitamix does handle kale exceptionally well :)

33 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete.wordpress.com July 24, 2010

Those blueberries look delicious — you always find the most beautiful fruits and veggies! I’m not a fan of okra, but it may be because I haven’t had it prepared in the “right” way. I’m excited to see what you do with it!

Every time you post about your VitaMix makes me want to get one!

34 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 24, 2010

Ange your blue dress is so cute!!! I love okra as well – I usually use it in stir fry dishes and sometimes just steamed with other veggies. Congrats on another successful week at the market!

35 Camille July 24, 2010

Haha, I love what that guy said!

36 Carla July 24, 2010

Hate to say it, but if they don’t “crack” … they ain’t crackers. :o)

37 Run Sarah July 24, 2010

The yellow squashes are so cute! I love okra but it’s so expensive around here – perfect in fry form.

38 Maya July 24, 2010

If any blogger deserves a high powered blender it’s YOU! All this time I would see your GMs and think I hope she gets one soon! Glad to see you and Her Mix a Lot are getting along famously.

39 Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 24, 2010

Aaaww, what that old man said is so funny :-D By the way, I LOVE your dress. Where is it from??

40 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

Thanks! Its from Urban Outfitters :)

41 Wei-Wei July 24, 2010

What that old man said is seriously too cute! True love indeed :D I think making some of your cracker glo dough is on the agenda tonight. :)

Wei-Wei

42 Freya @ Brit Chick Runs July 25, 2010

Awwwh that old man story is the cutest thing ever!! I wish more people had true love like that :)
Congrats on selling so much!

43 Cara July 25, 2010

Those little squashies are so cute. I love how they look like ducks. They remind me of a shot I took of some melons the other week. http://carascravings.wordpress.com/2010/07/13/leftovers-revamped/

44 Danielle @ Body By Nature July 25, 2010

Can’t wait to see what you do with okra! I’ve never bought it before because I’m not sure how to cook it.

45 Natalia July 25, 2010

HI Angela, I tried a Green Monster a few weeks ago, and am totally addicted! Even when I have slight mishaps (like adding in Chia seeds and ending up with a thick, gelatinous mix), it is still very good. So thanks for your recipes!

46 Kittie July 25, 2010

I love basil on sandwiches! And okra…mmm. A staple in the south!

47 Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ July 25, 2010

I can’t believe it’s raining. She must be on a veggie overload with all the veggies you have to use up. Do you ever freeze them or any other method for the winter?

48 Sally July 25, 2010

Hi your pictures look great. Matt prints help and also for areas where you get a lot of sun light and so on you can go to a craft store or framing store and buy matt glass for your frames. It does not come cheap so only use it in areas where you will have a lot of light reflecting off the pictures. Also when choosing places to hang pictures take into account what light will reflect off them. Hope this helps.

49 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] July 25, 2010

I love that you get dressed up for the market… you’re just plain A-dorable, Ange : )

50 Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun July 25, 2010

So many fruits and veggies in this post!
I have to remember what you wrote about the glo dough and banana soft serve – Mmmmm healthy chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream! :-D

51 Cynthia (It All Changes) July 25, 2010

I just made amazing blueberry jam from organic pick your own blueberries and had to try so hard not to eat them all before the canning could happen. I feel your addiction :=)

52 Jen S July 25, 2010

Wow, Buffalo! I wish I could’ve hitched a ride with them. Do you know how long of a trip it is???
I’d love to make the trip some Sat. How long is the market? 8 weeks? Thanks

53 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

I think they said it was 2.5 hours long. We wll be here til this Sat then taking off August and some of sept.

54 Sasha July 26, 2010

Hurray for the cracker-balls!
I made my second batch yesterday (added raw lentil sprouts and spinach to up the nutrition profile) and was feeling wistful that there may not be another batch as it takes too much effort (and a mess!) to roll the dough flat for crackers!
And I see today that you made balls out of them instead! What a wonderful idea, so much easier than rolling flat!
Thanks for the tip, you made my day! You have no idea how much I love these!

55 Rachel July 26, 2010

What type of dehydrator do you use?

56 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

Its an excalibur :)

57 Kat July 26, 2010

I’m really happy to see you do a post on Okra!! My husband is a huge okra fan and I have never tried it before. I admit I was a bit scared of trying a new vegetable even tho I love all veggies. Now that you have told me what they taste like, I am much less frightened. Lol. ;)

58 Angela @ Making Food for Friends July 26, 2010

I recreated your hummus/tomato paste/basil/black pepper sandwich for lunch today—DELICIOUS!!! I can’t stop thinking about it & am so looking forward to having another for lunch tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration!

59 Angela (Oh She Glows) July 27, 2010

mmmm wasnt it amazing!?

60 Wan Yee July 31, 2010

Hummus is a new recipe I have learned recently. The picture of your sandwich makes me want to make hummus again. Thank you for the yummy and nutritious suggestion. . People may have different opinions about the taste of chia seeds, but so far I have got mostly very positive feedback about them. May you keep glowing with the addition of ch-ch-chia into your life.