Soul Food

Hello!

Thank you so much for your insightful and touching comments about this morning’s discussion question. I urge you to read the comments if you have not done so already…they were really, really inspiring. Some of them brought tears to my eyes…but I guess that shouldn’t come as a huge surprise to my regular readers.

I’m really looking forward to exploring many more of these ‘life’ topics on the blog as I think that we can all relate to them on some level and we can learn from each other. I have another fun quote and question coming up tomorrow so please stay tuned for that.

Today was one of those soul-cleansing and rejuvenating days that just made my heart sing. Every second was spent doing something that was good for my soul and that made me happy, so much so that I felt the need to tap my husband on the shoulder and tell him so several times throughout the day.

I would like to think he was amused by it all…it helps me sleep at night.

Me: ‘I’m having such a great day…I’m so happy.’

Eric: ‘So I hear….’

Then I see a sly grin in the corner of his mouth as he walks away. He thinks I don’t notice, but I do.

Today also reaffirmed the importance of taking a step back and getting that downtime that we need each week. I think last week was a great balance of work and play and I am going to be more conscious of this i the future. I do want to be a good boss to myself after all.

After I spoke with you last, I headed out on a run. I was so excited because I had a bunch of fun new songs on my shuffle to run to. Having new songs for a run is like getting new business clothes to wear to work; it just makes the process more enjoyable.

IMG_2886

The run:

• 6.1 miles
  • 52:35 mins
  • Avg pace: 8:37 min/mile
  • Avg heart rate: 156 bpm

Mile splits:

• Mile 1: 9:14
  • Mile 2: 8:56
  • Mile 3: 8:29
  • Mile 4: 8:31
  • Mile 5: 8:29
  • Mile 6: 8:13
  • Mile 6-6.10: 0.:41 (6:58 min/mile pace)

I had a strong run today and a great negative split! Must have been that awesome green monster I had this morning. I am really liking the approach of using the first couple miles to warm up the body, pick it up in the middle, and then give it my all at the end.

After the run, Polly’s yoga for runners, and a cold as ice shower I had lunch.

IMG_3096

CSA Cucumbers & Carrots…and lots of red pepper hummus for dipping of course. Veggies are just a vehicle to get more hummus into my belly.

IMG_3077

You are probably asking yourself if I had the nerve to cut up the carrot showgirls and the answer is no. I am waiting for the right time…

IMG_3098

In A Jiffy Curry Chickpea burger (the LAST ONE! nooooooo) with spinach and tomato paste on two pieces of toasted Ezekiel bread.

IMG_3083

This lunch was a mouthful alright! It had so much crunch to it and it took me such a long time to eat. I love when meals are high in volume and last a long time. It is very satisfying mentally and physically.

IMG_3094

Then I did something I haven’t done in a dog’s age…I curled up on the couch on a Sunday afternoon and read my little heart out!

IMG_3148

With Japanese sencha green tea

IMG_3116

Eric walked into the room and was like…’Do you have tears in your eyes?’

I said, ‘Yea…and I’m not even PMSing!’

Eric, ‘Must be a good book.’

I say, no one was ever inspired without feeling some kind of emotion first, right?

Oh it’s an emotional book. I found myself tearing up when she talks about her depression. Depression is something I struggled with for years along with my eating disorder so it really hit home for me.

The written word is such a powerful thing. I have always been moved by words and I know it is the reason I enjoy writing the blog each day (and reading your amazing thoughts in the process).

I read until about 4:30pm and I got through all of ‘Book 1: Italy’ I can’t wait to start India. Italy was really fun and playful and I feel like the layers will be peeled away in India. I have already marked about 20 pages to go back to and underline!

IMG_3172

See Sketchie in the background? He is my book buddy for life….(Disclaimer: As long as I don’t steal his blanket, shift him, annoy, bother, or make eye contact with him, that is. A-hem.).

After I took a break from reading and Eric a break from renos, we headed out for a walk.

IMG_2884

Walking is one of our favourite activities in the summer. Walking is just so EASY. We have some of our best talks while walking when our minds are free of distraction around us.

IMG_2880

We made some really interesting progress with Eric’s current situation. We have been talking a lot about what we want out of life, our work, and making sure that above all we lead lives that make us happy. We made some great progress today and I can already tell that a huge weight has been lifted off Eric’s shoulders. I’m really looking forward to telling you more about it in the future.

After our walk, I did what any baker and cook would do and I baked and cooked!

First, I made something I am super excited to show you…

IMG_3159-2

Oh. My. Gosh.

I am going to share the recipe (tomorrow morning!) so check back!

You will love these raw cookies that are just oozing with health. I am a bit head over heels for them.

Then it was time to make dinner! We had two week’s worth of CSA red potatoes to use up…

IMG_2765

I decided to make the super easy potato soup that I made a while back.

I tripled the recipe because I had sooo many potatoes…

IMG_3181

IMG_3174

I chopped some basil and sprinkled it on top. My basil plant isn’t growing as fast as I thought it would, so I could only use a few small leaves. The good news is that it is not dead and growth is happening, just slowly. I wonder if I should have put it in more direct sunlight, as I learned after the fact that basil loves the sun and heat!

IMG_3188

I also left a bunch of potatoes chunky in the soup.

IMG_3197

Eric had his with ketchup squeezed all over the top! He said the ketchup made the soup.  :biggrin:

IMG_3184 IMG_3185

I’m off to end this amazing day with more Eat Pray Love. See you tomorrow!

Page 2 of 2«12
Mo July 22, 2010

I am just catching up on a week’s worth of mental treats (that’s how my brain interprets OSG) and I just have to say….

I am SOOOOO happy that you are reading Eat, Pray, Love!

I knew that you would love it! Yay!

Kelly July 21, 2010

Hi! I really enjoy your blog….. I am currently addicted to seeing the new recipes you post everyday. Thank you for the beautiful pictures too! :)
~Kelly

suzlk July 20, 2010

Love your blog! :)

Bekah July 19, 2010

Oh Miss Angela, I love this post. I adore Eat Pray Love, (it seems like all the bloggers these days are reading it or re reading it or talking about it, or something!) I read it during the last couple weeks of my senior year, and it was the perfect read before school at starbucks. I learned/realized so much about me, and i will forever appreciate that book.

Right now I’m reading elizabeth gilbert’s second memoir, “commitment”, and so far, so good! I definitely recommend it.

I’ll be looking out for that recipe! Looks delicious.

Callie July 19, 2010

Sounds like a really good book. :)
Can’t wait for the raw cookie recipe!

sarahnotsoplainandtall July 19, 2010

Hi Angela!

That soup looks soooo good!! Any chance you wouldnt mind sharing the recipe!?

Thanks soooo much!
Sarah

Samantha July 19, 2010

What a great run!

Marathon Bound Gal aka Grace July 19, 2010

I see the pepitas in the raw cookies and I love them so! Potato soup…who said potato soup, love it….love it….love it and to make it vegan style is all the better! I’m looking forward to reading that book. Just ordered it today from Amazon!

Sara July 19, 2010

I LOVE that book! I think I won’t re-read it until I see the movie, however, because if I read a book too close to seeing the movie I feel like I’ve ruined the movie for myself with my constant thoughts of “why did they leave that out? Oh I don’t like how they did that. That’s just not as good as the book” etc haha.

But I remember off memory that my favorite line in the book was some passage about men and how we often make excuses for men not being good enough for us. Anyway I’m sure I am messing it up but it touched home with me, as did many other parts of the book. I cried while reading it also :P

Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales July 19, 2010

Sounds like a good day and your food, as ever, looks amazing! Glad you are enjoying your book.

Wei-Wei July 19, 2010

I’m so happy you had a great day. The contentedness just oozes out of your words… and I agree about the powerful words. The blogworld, and writing in general, has inspired me so much over time. I’ve found that my negative body image is slowly disappearing, and when I think any negative or discouraging thoughts I find myself thinking, “Total health encompasses the mind. Have a happy body AND a happy mind. You’re a far way away from being like Angela, or Kath, or Caitlin, or Tina. So put the bad thoughts out of your head and find a better future from within yourself.” I really can’t describe how much you guys have helped. I smile so much more these days, and I just feel so much happier… I don’t know how I ever survived being so miserable.

Wei-Wei

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

Im really happy to hear this!

Sabina July 19, 2010

Hi Angela!

Our basil plants are growing like CRAZY! We have them each planted in their own container and they get direct sunlight from sunrise to about 11:30 a.m. and partial sunlight beyond that. I hope this helps!

Your raw cookies intrigue me. I’m not a raw-foodist, but can’t wait for the recipe!

Emily July 19, 2010

Angela, this post just made my day! It is so refreshing to see such a beautiful woman (both inside and out) with so much love and happiness in her life. It makes me thankful for everything I have now and hopeful for the future. I hope your tomorrow is just as good as your today!

Liz July 19, 2010

Ohhh I love potato soup!!! I have to make that!

christina cadden July 19, 2010

Looks like you had a great day! I really do love that book!

Annie@stronghealthyfit July 19, 2010

So happy for you and Eric- can’t wait to hear the details :-)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 19, 2010

Aww what a great day off! It sounds like you’re feeling super rejuvenated and with everything you do, you definitely deserved the break! I’m glad you’re reviewing Eat Pray Love because it’s a book I’ve had my eye on for a while now, but with school, haven’t had time to read. My plan is to read it before seeing the movie, and after your last 2 posts, I want to go out and purchase it NOW!

Have a great day! :)

Lizzie July 19, 2010

Haven’t had time to read through the previous post’s comments or the ones here so someone might have already posted this), and I am pretty sure you must have seen the EPL trailer by now, but I thought I would put it in anyway:

I haven’t read the book and there’s always that wild space of fear between whether the book will be as good as the movie or vice versa depending on which one you did first, but as a someone who loves movie trailers, I do like this a lot.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

I cant wait for the movie!

Kiersten July 19, 2010

Your post made me smile. I am glad you had such a nice day Angela.

Emma July 19, 2010

You are so right about the written word! I saw Food, Inc. a while back and did not find it very powerful but I just read Eating Animals and I found it so much more convicting.

Rosey Rebecca July 19, 2010

Really need to get my hands on that book! I hear such wonderful things about it!
Your cookies look so pretty (and yummy)
I have days where I’ll tap my boyfriend on the shoulder numerous times to tell him the same thing over and over. He reacts the same was as Eric. Ha!!
Glad you’re so happy and great run! I can’t wait until my ankle feels better so I can run again!

Melanie July 19, 2010

It’s always interesting to me when I read about people who are going through similar scenarios in life as me. On one hand, it feels incredibly personal as I’m going through it so I can’t imagine anyone else doing it, but on the other hand I realize that life has many journeys and some run in parallel, some cross and some go the opposite direction, so it shouldn’t be a surprise.

For about the past month I’ve been trying to take a step back and think about things more thoughtfully. Simplify my life, have peace, eat good wholesome food, exercise and just enjoy a bit of “me” time. It’s so important and it’s helped rejuvenate my soul. I had to laugh though when I saw you were reading Eat, Pray, Love because I’m also reading that book now after several recommendations from friends. It’s very difficult to put down! I hope you continue to enjoy it as much as I am.

Melanie.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

I have sooo many pages to go back and underline!!!