Soul Food

Hello!

Thank you so much for your insightful and touching comments about this morning’s discussion question. I urge you to read the comments if you have not done so already…they were really, really inspiring. Some of them brought tears to my eyes…but I guess that shouldn’t come as a huge surprise to my regular readers.

I’m really looking forward to exploring many more of these ‘life’ topics on the blog as I think that we can all relate to them on some level and we can learn from each other. I have another fun quote and question coming up tomorrow so please stay tuned for that.

Today was one of those soul-cleansing and rejuvenating days that just made my heart sing. Every second was spent doing something that was good for my soul and that made me happy, so much so that I felt the need to tap my husband on the shoulder and tell him so several times throughout the day.

I would like to think he was amused by it all…it helps me sleep at night.

Me: ‘I’m having such a great day…I’m so happy.’

Eric: ‘So I hear….’

Then I see a sly grin in the corner of his mouth as he walks away. He thinks I don’t notice, but I do.

Today also reaffirmed the importance of taking a step back and getting that downtime that we need each week. I think last week was a great balance of work and play and I am going to be more conscious of this i the future. I do want to be a good boss to myself after all.

After I spoke with you last, I headed out on a run. I was so excited because I had a bunch of fun new songs on my shuffle to run to. Having new songs for a run is like getting new business clothes to wear to work; it just makes the process more enjoyable.

IMG 2886 thumb   Soul Food

The run:

• 6.1 miles
  • 52:35 mins
  • Avg pace: 8:37 min/mile
  • Avg heart rate: 156 bpm

Mile splits:

• Mile 1: 9:14
  • Mile 2: 8:56
  • Mile 3: 8:29
  • Mile 4: 8:31
  • Mile 5: 8:29
  • Mile 6: 8:13
  • Mile 6-6.10: 0.:41 (6:58 min/mile pace)

I had a strong run today and a great negative split! Must have been that awesome green monster I had this morning. I am really liking the approach of using the first couple miles to warm up the body, pick it up in the middle, and then give it my all at the end.

After the run, Polly’s yoga for runners, and a cold as ice shower I had lunch.

IMG 3096 thumb   Soul Food

CSA Cucumbers & Carrots…and lots of red pepper hummus for dipping of course. Veggies are just a vehicle to get more hummus into my belly.

IMG 3077 thumb   Soul Food

You are probably asking yourself if I had the nerve to cut up the carrot showgirls and the answer is no. I am waiting for the right time…

IMG 3098 thumb   Soul Food

In A Jiffy Curry Chickpea burger (the LAST ONE! nooooooo) with spinach and tomato paste on two pieces of toasted Ezekiel bread.

IMG 3083 thumb   Soul Food

This lunch was a mouthful alright! It had so much crunch to it and it took me such a long time to eat. I love when meals are high in volume and last a long time. It is very satisfying mentally and physically.

IMG 3094 thumb   Soul Food

Then I did something I haven’t done in a dog’s age…I curled up on the couch on a Sunday afternoon and read my little heart out!

IMG 3148 thumb   Soul Food

With Japanese sencha green tea

IMG 3116 thumb   Soul Food

Eric walked into the room and was like…’Do you have tears in your eyes?’

I said, ‘Yea…and I’m not even PMSing!’

Eric, ‘Must be a good book.’

I say, no one was ever inspired without feeling some kind of emotion first, right?

Oh it’s an emotional book. I found myself tearing up when she talks about her depression. Depression is something I struggled with for years along with my eating disorder so it really hit home for me.

The written word is such a powerful thing. I have always been moved by words and I know it is the reason I enjoy writing the blog each day (and reading your amazing thoughts in the process).

I read until about 4:30pm and I got through all of ‘Book 1: Italy’ I can’t wait to start India. Italy was really fun and playful and I feel like the layers will be peeled away in India. I have already marked about 20 pages to go back to and underline!

IMG 3172 thumb   Soul Food

See Sketchie in the background? He is my book buddy for life….(Disclaimer: As long as I don’t steal his blanket, shift him, annoy, bother, or make eye contact with him, that is. A-hem.).

After I took a break from reading and Eric a break from renos, we headed out for a walk.

IMG 2884 thumb   Soul Food

Walking is one of our favourite activities in the summer. Walking is just so EASY. We have some of our best talks while walking when our minds are free of distraction around us.

IMG 2880 thumb   Soul Food

We made some really interesting progress with Eric’s current situation. We have been talking a lot about what we want out of life, our work, and making sure that above all we lead lives that make us happy. We made some great progress today and I can already tell that a huge weight has been lifted off Eric’s shoulders. I’m really looking forward to telling you more about it in the future.

After our walk, I did what any baker and cook would do and I baked and cooked!

First, I made something I am super excited to show you…

IMG 31592 thumb   Soul Food

Oh. My. Gosh.

I am going to share the recipe (tomorrow morning!) so check back!

You will love these raw cookies that are just oozing with health. I am a bit head over heels for them.

Then it was time to make dinner! We had two week’s worth of CSA red potatoes to use up…

IMG 2765 thumb1   Soul Food

I decided to make the super easy potato soup that I made a while back.

I tripled the recipe because I had sooo many potatoes…

IMG 3181 thumb   Soul Food

IMG 3174 thumb   Soul Food

I chopped some basil and sprinkled it on top. My basil plant isn’t growing as fast as I thought it would, so I could only use a few small leaves. The good news is that it is not dead and growth is happening, just slowly. I wonder if I should have put it in more direct sunlight, as I learned after the fact that basil loves the sun and heat!

IMG 3188 thumb   Soul Food

I also left a bunch of potatoes chunky in the soup.

IMG 3197 thumb   Soul Food

Eric had his with ketchup squeezed all over the top! He said the ketchup made the soup.  :biggrin:

IMG 3184 thumb   Soul Food IMG 3185 thumb   Soul Food

I’m off to end this amazing day with more Eat Pray Love. See you tomorrow!

MMW July 18, 2010

Angela! Wow this food looks amazing. I’ve seriously been inspired to try a bigger variety of vegetables this summer – because of the appetizing pictures you post.

For another Vegan nosh… try some of the Vega brand of Shake & Go Smoothie powders (got mine at whole foods). In one serving = 100 calories, 1 billion probiotic cultures, 2500 mg Omega 3-6-9, and 11g of complete protein ALL VEGAN! I tried the Mango-Tango flavor with 3/4 cup unsweetened Almond Milk. It was a DELICIOUS indulgent dessert.

So inspired to keep running and eating well. Thanks for your lovely blog.
xoxo MMW

AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

I have heard those powders are great, will have to check them out sometime!
glad you enjoy the blog, thank you :)

Run Sarah July 18, 2010

Relaxing with a book is one of my absolute favourite ways to relax – no matter how busy I am, I have been trying to make time for it as it truly helps me unwind. Eat, Pray, Love is on my list of books to read!

tanyasdaily July 18, 2010

Those burgers look really good, I like the texture.
Desert looks really filled with healthy stuff.

Lisa @ I'm an Okie July 18, 2010

Just read through every single one of those comments on your last post. I often find myself saying …”i’ll do this when… or “it’ll make more sense to move after..” Always finding excuses and reasons to not do what your heart really longs for. I understand the need to be practical and put good thought into big decisions, but someday I hope to have the guts to say (pardon my french) “eff it…let’s do it.” Thanks for all the wonderful insight.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

I believe these words are some of the most fun and liberating words someone can say…“eff it…let’s do it.” =)

Jessica @ The Process of Healing July 18, 2010

The soup sounds good!!! I’m alllll about some potato soup, anytime.

Jenna @ Healthy. Happy. Well. July 18, 2010

Sounds like one of those days where the stars align and everything is just perfect. I love those moments. That is such a great book, it really makes you think about you’re life and make sure you’re doing exactly what you want. If you like Gilbert you’ll love all of Eckart Tolle’s books. They instill that same blissful sense of peace in me. Have a great week!

jenna @ Healthy. Happy. Well. July 18, 2010

Ugh, sorry I have to correct myself. I meant** your***. .. OCD to the extreme, I hate using the wrong form of a word. =)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

Thanks for the recommendation! :)

Lissi@ livelearnrun July 18, 2010

Those cookies look like something I MUST make soon! I’ve been looking for better desserts to make, since I definitely have a weakness for them. Eat, Pray, Love is definitely an awesome book. I read it a few years back and absolutely adored it. I’m thinking about picking it up again and seeing what life advice it will give me this time. Your blog is so awesome and inspiring! I’ve been reading for a month or so and it’s one of my favorites. Thanks for the great and thought provoking posts!

Thanks Lissi!

Erika @ Health and Happiness in LA July 18, 2010

Wow it sounds like a great day, both in activities and in food! Those cookies look so perfect it’s ridiculous.

One of the things I miss most about living with my mom (I graduated and moved away in December) is the long walks we went on just about every day. Now I don’t have a live-in walking buddy. =(

And as far as “I’ll do this when…,” I just wrote about that on my blog the other day, how we can’t say that we’ll do something once we’re happy with our bodies. So many people put off dating and career aspirations until they hit some ideal weight. I’ve heard the same thing with people waiting to get married until they are financially secure. While sometimes it makes sense to wait, a lot of the time you have to realize that change is never convenient, and you just need to do it now!

This is slightly off topic, but my grandma died from lung cancer when she was 54. She always thought that she would quit sometime, but it was never the right time – there was some stress going on, and she thought she would have more time. But she didn’t, and then it was too late. The time to make a good change in your life is NOW.

Thank you for sharing…I agree. Sorry about your grandma :(

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans July 18, 2010

Good for you for taking the afternoon to yourself to read. I love doing that too!!

Lisa July 18, 2010

This post made me smile :) What a wonderfully reflective day you have had.
And that soup….YUMMO!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter July 18, 2010

Italy was such a phenomenal adventure in that book. India was a very “cleansing” section to read and Bali touched me profusely…(wow that sounds extremely wrong) anywho, phenomenal book. And that lunch would make me a very happy girl too.

Carla in Sydney July 18, 2010

This may sound a little weird but reading your blog makes me want to be a better person and lead a better life. I can go through stages where I feel so negative (and sad) about everything and you come across as the complete opposite….you radiate positive energy! Reading about your daily activities means that I go home and try and greet my partner with a smile, instead of “grunting” at him like I usually do. You make me want to eat more naturally and “take the time to smell the flowers”. It is really amazing the power a blog can have….you have a positive impact on my life from the other side of the world and we have never even met. Thanks for inspiring me (and many others I am sure!).
PS: I totally agree that new running music makes the run so much easier!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

Thank you carla…what a beautiful and uplifting comment. I always say that the comments I receive from readers do the same for me…very uplifting and inspiring. So thank YOU!
PS- I want to go to Australia!

: : christine : : July 19, 2010

Carla:
Angela has a way of making us all want to be better people.

Anglela
I loved loved loved Eat, Pray & Love. Enjoy!

Jamila July 18, 2010

I loved this book. Where did you buy your teacup?
d d

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

It is from Urban Outfitters :)

Michelle @ Eatingjourney July 18, 2010

such a good book.

ever had potato leek soup? oh my heavens..bliss.

Gail July 19, 2010

Potato Leek Soup is just freaking awesome! But, it seems whenever I try to make it, it never comes out as good!

Lizzie July 19, 2010

My British aunt makes THE best potato and leek soup sans cream. It’s so thick and yummy! But like Gail I can never replicate it. Guess I should just practice some more aka excuse to eat more of it! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

No I have not had it before!

Autumn @ Good Eats Girl July 18, 2010

A book that makes you cry is definitely a good book!!

What a great run you had! Gotta love those!

jassy July 18, 2010

hmmm…i am now curious about the book :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) July 18, 2010

oh my goodness, that soup looks to die for! the great thing about basil is that it’s a fairly strong flavor that carries well…it took my basil plants forever to grow, but when they finally got moving it was delicious!

Courtney (Delightful Devours) July 18, 2010

Hey, that’s awesome, we pretty much had the same afternoon! My cat and I sat down to read for a few hours with a large glass of iced tea. It was so rejuvenating! Also, eat pray love is probably the best book in the entire world. I have re-read it so many times I will probably be able to recite it all without help!

I can’t wait to try out this new recipe. All of your recipes are usually winners!

sasha July 18, 2010

Just wanted to say hi. The raw cookies look great. I have been lurking on your blog for over a month now. I am not sure who introduced it to me though. Anyways something on your blog inspired me. I am a health food nut but never had the drive to do a raw challenge. Right now I am just about 2 days away from completing my first raw food challenge. I don’t know if it was timing and your recipes…whatever it was I have been about 90% raw for almost a month. Just wanted to say thank you for the inspiration. I do have a blog for my son, and also am in the middle of starting a food blog. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

Thanks Sasha! Goodluck with your journey :)

Ashley July 18, 2010

I think one of the great mini moments in life is laughing out loud while you are all alone. I do that often when reading your blog. You are so funny!
Today it was the “Sketchie dislcaimer”… haha you are a hoot!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

LOL…I am glad that others could understand the disclaimer. Its kind of one of those things where you need to understand cats or at least have a good imagination ;p

Jess - The Domestic Vegan July 18, 2010

That soup looks absolutely mouth-watering!

Glad you’re enjoying the book! I haven’t read that one.

Kacie@Nonexistentcolors July 18, 2010

I remember reading EPL at a time in life when I felt as though certain parts almost mimicked my life word for word. I feel that at some point in life most people go through a time when they realize, life is happening NOW, instead of waiting for it to start SOME DAY. :) It helped me realize the strength I have to accomplish my goals, dreams and desires in life NOW, and to go out and get them, instead of waiting for them to hopefully one day occur. Best to you and Eric! Maybe he should read it to!!! I’ve had a lot of my guy friends read it and found it relevant to how they’ve felt in life as well!!!

bitt July 18, 2010

my hubby, who eats more cooked vegan than i do, is oohing and ahhing at the soup and burgers from across the room. i sent him the burger link.

can’t wait to see that cookie recipe!

Enjoy!

Mama Pea July 18, 2010

What a beautiful day. You inspire me so much to appreciate the little things in my life as well. I hope one day we can share a raw cookie together and discuss. :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

Aww thank you so much =) I adore you and can’t wait to meet someday.

Bridget July 19, 2010

Gosh, I just love this post Ange! It’s so great to hear that you are in such a good place right now knowing what you dealt with a few years back. It’s the little things in life – reading a good book, going for a walk, baking – that are the most special. Just seeing you happy makes me happy :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

Your comment made me happy! :)

Ashley July 19, 2010

I made in a jiffy burgs with a fun spin today! Glad to hear things are looking up with Eric :) I need to slow down a little..your day sounded so nice! The cookies look awesome!

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs July 19, 2010

Beautiful soup/raw cookies/lunch/awesome run splits!
This post makes me happy – I love how you had a soul cleansing type day, a day to relax and do what you want. I definetly don’t take enough ofthem; I’m always caught up doing stuff I think I should. But, like what another commenter said above, reading your posts makes me want to be better!!
You’re so inspiring Angela :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

Thank you :) I hope you do take that soul cleansing day for you….I am looking forward to next Sunday already! Maybe a new tradition?

Camille July 19, 2010

I’m glad you’re enjoying the book! It’s one of my favorites :)

Caroline July 19, 2010

it’s Looks delicious. Looked at pictures suddenly have happiness

Emily Lou July 19, 2010

It is so true what you say about needing to take time to step back. For I while, I had been approaching my trip to Germany as “must go everywhere, must see everything.” Naturally that burned me out and I wasn’t really enjoying it all as much as I should. Now, I know when to rest and I know when to play. That makes it all that much better.

P.S. I’m checking back tomorrow for the raw cookie recipe! Yum!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

What I loved about EPL is when Elizabeth talked about how she didn’t have a plan while in Italy…she just did exactly as she felt like each day. She didnt go see meuseums or momuments that she didn’t care to see, she ate at great restaurants and met great people. I think it is important to live for you and what you want to do instead of doing what is expected of travelers.

Maureen July 19, 2010

When planning a trip you need to realise that you do not have to do everything when visiting a new country, try to save some things for the next time you go.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is July 19, 2010

Italy was my favorite part of the book. I can’t wait for the movie!

GlowingBIL July 19, 2010

I too am looking forward to Eric’s progress and update!

me too!

Gail July 19, 2010

I suffer from depression too. It got really bad about 13 years ago. But, I found that eating healthy (no processed foods, etc), and exercise has helped my depression SOOO much! I still get a little blue now and then, but I’ve found that it’s pretty short lived. I think I need to pick up this book and give it a read – sounds interesting.

Cara July 19, 2010

Anticipating your new recipe…those little cookies look super yummy.

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ July 19, 2010

The raw cookies look so good. You are always creating such good things.

Annie D @ Annie's Simple Life July 19, 2010

Just so you know…. I’m making those burgers tonight!! :)

Tina July 19, 2010

This post just makes me so happy. I can tell you are “glowing from the inside out” as you say. You deserved that day!

Also, I want to read Eat Pray Love even more now!

Jen July 19, 2010

I’ve read EPL twice and I want to read it again. It’s such a wonderful book. I’m curious to see how close the movie is to the novel.

Oh and those cookies look delicious!!

Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine July 19, 2010

I can’t wait for the raw cookies recipe! I made raw macaroons yesterday and am really interested in raw desserts now.

Walks are indeed very relaxing and help the mind settle things. :)

Chelsey July 19, 2010

I loooove curling up with a good book – unfortunately it doesn’t happen enough these days. Your conversaton with Eric is so funny – “i’m not even PMS’ing” – hahah! Depression always hits home for me – I was never diagnosed, but definitely depressed for a good span of time. When I used to count calories, that was a sure fire way to make me feel like a failure for sure. Glad to say I’m loving living life today! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 19, 2010

Im glad you are feeling better these days!

Page 1 of 212»