Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market Recap Week 5

Good evening!

IMG 2940 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market Recap Week 5

Hi Karly and Eric!

Care to try some Glo Bars?

IMG 2983 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market Recap Week 5

YUM.

IMG 2938 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market Recap Week 5

IMG 2929 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market Recap Week 5

Double YUM.

IMG 2935 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market Recap Week 5

Today was the hottest day at the market yet! It was at least 30-32C and with humidity it felt like 40C out there. Due to the extreme heat today, the market was very slow, probably the slowest day yet, but we still did on par with Week 1 so we were still quite pleased. Whenever the weather forecast calls for rain, it seems to really die off at the market (even though it didn’t rain until 1:45pm).  I can’t even begin to tell you how hot we all were standing there for almost 6 hours. We MELTED today!

Had it not been for all the friendly people I spoke with, Eric, Karly, and friends that came to visit, it would not have been pleasant!

We have met so many amazing people over the past 5 weeks…yoga instructors, triathletes, runners, cyclists, Whole Foods employees, activists, entrepreneurs, vegans/vegetarians, among others!  I also met a really nice lady who is interested in carrying my Glo Bars in her Oakville Hot Yoga studio. Very fun!

IMG 2937 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market Recap Week 5

The Butterfly Bush next to our tent has blossomed…we saw lots of butterflies today!

IMG 2950 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market Recap Week 5

IMG 2954 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market Recap Week 5

Around noon, Eric went on a little photography spree of downtown Oakville.

IMG 2951 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market Recap Week 5

Lakeshore is so beautiful! If I could live anywhere in the GTA it would be Oakville. It has such a great downtown strip with tons of cafes, restaurants, boutiques, bakeries, etc.

IMG 2952 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market Recap Week 5

This sign is pretty funny…

IMG 2961 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market Recap Week 5

LOL…is this for real???

No catapulting or somersaulting!?

Eric and I so wanted to catapult + somersault into the water after the market today! Total mood kill, Town of Oakville.

Ever tried kiwi-gold raspberries?

IMG 2964 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market Recap Week 5

My lovely friend Pat (aka my Purslane dealer!!!) had these beauties in today, as well as 5 other varieties of raspberries! Who knew there were so many varieties of raspberries?

My two favourites (in addition to the Kiwi-golds) were the Canby and Taylor varieties…

IMG 3003 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market Recap Week 5

Canby = Candy (That’s what I was calling them)

At noon, I proceeded to eat the entire lot of the Kiwi-gold berries. Ok, Ok Eric had a few that he pried from my kung-fu grip.

I’m kicking myself for not saving any for Kiwi-Gold Banana Soft Serve, but the hunger monster called and I had to listen! If there is one thing I have learned as a vegan it is that I need to eat as soon as I get hungry or I turn into a hunger monster. It ain’t pretty.

Last week Pat didn’t have any Purslane and I shed a single tear on her market table. Well, this week she picked some ‘just for me’ and I took home a huge bag! She is so good to me! Imagine her picking the Purslane in this awful heat for me.

IMG 3014 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market Recap Week 5

She also had the real citrusy variety of Purslane today and boy did they taste just like citrus. Crazy. I can’t wait to have them in a Green Monster tomorrow. I think Purslane is my favourite green in a Green Monster! So smooth and buttery on the tongue thanks to all the healthy omega oils.

After a blistering day of heat and sun, the clouds rolled in quickly and a rain storm was a brewing!!!!

IMG 2966 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market Recap Week 5

We didn’t mind…I welcomed the strong wind and rain with open arms.

IMG 2974 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market Recap Week 5 IMG 2976 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market Recap Week 5

A market chef brought around these vegan veggie spring rolls which were wrapped in rice paper.

IMG 2987 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market Recap Week 5

This was my first time trying rice paper. I have had no desire to try rice paper as I think it looks gross, but I tried it anyways being the adventurous gal that I am.

To put it nicely, the rice paper was not my cup of tea.

Had I not been talking to Jessica and Alex at the time I would have discretely spit it out in a napkin!! They were all laughing at my reaction after trying it.

IMG 2988 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market Recap Week 5

I chewed through this texture nightmare and somehow swallowed my bite. It felt like an hour had passed. Rice paper shall never touch my lips again. It was like eating sticky rubber, if you catch my drift….

Jess came to visit as well as a new friend Nancy and her daughter. Nancy brought me the cutest gift, I can’t wait to show you it.

IMG 2994 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market Recap Week 5     IMG 2995 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market Recap Week 5

A blog reader named Jen also biked all the way from Toronto today!!

IMG 2945 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market Recap Week 5

What a trooper!

I also bartered with another vendor and scored these edible flowers…

IMG 2996 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market Recap Week 5

In all the excitement, I forgot what they are called. I was told to stir-fry with them!

IMG 3000 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market Recap Week 5

Raspberry photoshoot ensued…

IMG 3006 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market Recap Week 5

IMG 3009 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market Recap Week 5

I froze a bunch of raspberries for raspberry banana soft serve of course.

IMG 3010 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market Recap Week 5

I also scored some Nasturtium which is also new for me…

It was so hot out, it wilted quite a bit.

IMG 3017 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market Recap Week 5

Eric deemed this summer the ‘No Veggie Left Behind Tour’.

The heat really got to me today and I am just wiped. Eric and I might go out for Mexican food tonight if we can make it without passing out on the floor first. lol. Have a great Saturday night and I will see you tomorrow!

Jennie {in Wonderland} July 17, 2010

My Dad’s from Oakville and I was born in London! I live in Nova Scotia now, but still have fond memories of Oakville… it’s beautiful and has great shops and a fantastic ambience.

That purslane looks DELICIOUS! I am dying to try it in a GM.

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope July 17, 2010

You look so gorgeous in red!! I think it is definitely “your” color…

AngelaOSG July 17, 2010

Thank you!

Jaya July 17, 2010

Could be mistaken, but those last blooms look a lot like zucchini blossoms maybe?
What a great recap – it’s almost harder to stand around in the heat than it is to be active. At least you can make some self-generated breeze when you’re biking or running. But I have a feeling that everyone who came and sampled/purchased some OSG goodies loved them and was so glad they braved the heat!

AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

yessss thats the name!!!!

Jessica @ Rawtumn July 17, 2010

Yay for raspberries and edible flowers! Can’t wait to see what you whip up with them. The heat here has really been getting to me too. Hope you’re able to muster up the energy to enjoy your night! ;-)

Little Aspects July 17, 2010

Oh yum – zucchini flowers!! You can stuff them, they are beautiful! Or cook them with some veg stock, saffron, spring onions and olive oil and toss through pasta.

Those raspberries look amazing!

Casey @ Chasing Casey July 17, 2010

For it being so hot out you look fabulous!
Glad you’re doing well at the FM.
You look great it red! So happy and healthy :)

aisha July 17, 2010

They are courgette flowers, probably zucchini flowers to you I guess.
Wow at all that purslane, it looks fun. Those raspberries look delicious.
I’m so glad I know someone else who hates the texture of rice paper, it is truly gross, I tried making the rolls myself once, never again, it all went straight into the bin.

Maria @ ahealthiermaria July 17, 2010

As always, your farmer’s market spread looks amazing! Also I love that red dress on you! :)

Alanna July 17, 2010

I was going to tell you that they were zucchini flowers, but was beaten to it. All I can say is nasturtium…. MMMMMM…. and spicy!

Camille July 17, 2010

I think the whole continent is under major heat right now :( I went to the Farmer’s Market here in Southern California yesterday and my sandals were literally burning through. It was awful!
Congrats on another week at the market!

GirlonRaw July 17, 2010

Girl, you are so lucky to live near/in such a picturesque place, and who would have guessed that there were so many varieties of raspberries. Wow, I really need to get out of this desolate desert very soon, I hate that nothing can grow here and everything I eat has such huge food miles!!

Good work on the market, you are rocking it big time x

Allison @ Food For Healing July 17, 2010

raspberries, *drool* they look so good.

I wish we had some sun here today, its been rainy and gloomy, send some of the heat to Sask. ok?

I really like rice paper, i love making rolls with cucumber and carrots wrapped in rice paper.

Chandra July 17, 2010

Did I read your sign right? You wont be at the market at all in August??
I live in Whitby, and was hoping to get out to see you sometime at the market before the summers end, but I work on Saturdays :( I have a couple Saturdays off in August… so I was hoping!! Guess it might not work out for me.. I am DYING to try that Glo Dough!!
I ordered some bars, and love all the flavours I have tried so far!
You look Glowing in your pics!!

AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

Hi Chandra!

We are taking some of August off for a break, but we might be there 1 weekend in august, will announce it on the blog. Thanks for your support!

Julie @SavvyEats July 17, 2010

A. Pretty sure those are squash blossoms?
B. I LOVE yellow raspberries. My favorite, but so hard to find!
C. Now that I live in upstate NY, I seriously want to road trip up to your Farmer’s Market some Saturday and then have a blogger dinner!

AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

That would be so much fun!!!

Heather (Heather's Dish) July 17, 2010

what a fun day! i think those flowers are squash blossoms…they’re really good in a stir fry, but if you can find a way to stuff them they’re AMAZING!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 17, 2010

I love Oakville too. The downtown area is so cute! Although the fact that Oakville has a Whole Foods is enough to make me love it!

I think those edible flowers are zucchini flowers. My dad had to go all the way to Toronto to get his hands on some for a pasta dish he made last week!

Katheryn July 17, 2010

Sticky rubber…..yeah, I get your drift.

BTW, you loved the color of the dress on you.

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is July 17, 2010

I’d love to try kiwi gold raspberries! Those sounds delicious.

Bridget July 17, 2010

Whew! what a scorcher you had! I get really grumpy and lazy in that kinda weather.

All your glo products look so spectacular! I’ve never seen anything quite like them :)

Meg July 17, 2010

HAHA that sign!!! That’s hilarious! Everything looks beautiful, Angela!! Especially you and your glo-bars :D Glad you had a great weekend!

Exercise and Eat July 17, 2010

You look so beautiful! And the food… totally drool-worthy!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 17, 2010

Yup, pretty sure they’re squash blossoms as well! They look very similar to these… http://bit.ly/aQG293. The raspberries look SOOOO juicy!

Charlotte July 17, 2010

“It was like eating sticky rubber, if you catch my drift…. ” HAHA on Ange you are so crazy…I have always loved rice paper but I think I’m gonna remember that comment every time I have a spring roll now!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter July 17, 2010

Stir Fry with flowers?! Sounds absolutely spectacular :)

Erin July 17, 2010

Yes, I was going to suggest zucchini blossoms too but maybe not? Love all the bright colors and sunshine!

Erica July 17, 2010

First of all, can I just say that you look gorgeous in that red dress!?!

Can’t wait to see how you cook up the edible flowers! I’ve never had/seem that before!

AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

aww thank you! :)

Becca July 17, 2010

Yeah they are zucchini flowers! I only know this because I just got back from Italy where it is a specialty to DEEP FRY THEM! Delicious but not so glowing….. :)

AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

hhaha myabe deep fried in sunflower oil?? ;p

http://tanyasdaily.blogspot.com/ July 17, 2010

Your display looks very professional and delicious!

Amanda July 17, 2010

You’re hilarious! “Sticky rubber” had me laughing for a good five minutes.

The flowers look like squash blossoms. There’s a great looking recipe for stuffed blossoms here: http://veganforthepeople.blogspot.com/2009/08/stuffed-zucchini-squash-blossoms.html

Kris July 17, 2010

Sorry you didn’t like the fresh spring rolls. I love them and find them so refreshing in hot weather. Maybe if you had them with some dipping sauce? I don’t find the texture very rubbery; I like how malleable they are and you can stuff them w/ anything! Have a nice, relaxing evening.

Anna July 17, 2010

I think they might be courgette flowers… or zucchini flowers as they’re called in the US (and might be in Canada?!). I used to make omelet with them before I became vegan. If you have a good recipe for them please post!

*Andrea* July 17, 2010

you are so beautiful angela!!! love that dress. your skin seriously glows and you are so smiley and just happy…this is all in 2-D too ;)

those kiwi-gold raspberries look amazing. i just love new varieties of fruits and veggies. nature is soooo amazing haha

Penny Knight July 17, 2010

Angela, Your glo bars/ balls look fabulous! I want to comeout to the Oakville Farmers Market, it looks so much nicer than the Farmers Market’s we have in the Hot Deserts of Indio, California. I think it will be a hard sell this summer to convince Grandma we should go to Canada for your farmers markets, maybe next year.

LisaG July 17, 2010

I’m with ya on the rice paper. It’s like eating skin huh?

AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

yes it was soooo strange

Wei-Wei July 17, 2010

Wow, you look lovely Ange! I would hate having to work in a Farmer’s Market in THIS heat. And purslane is one vegetable I sincerely have not heard of until I read about it here! I love how you teach me new things :)

Wei-Wei

ari July 17, 2010

i think those are squash blossoms!

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ July 17, 2010

Another successful day at the market. I never knew that there are different types of raspberries. I feel so sheltered.

Hannah July 17, 2010

mmmmm everything looks so good, thoses raspberries look so fresh :)

Liesl Hypki July 17, 2010

Those flowers you were given are squash blossoms. I live in Mexico and they are a specialty here. The Mexicans make a soup with them, and also, quesadillas. They don’t have much flavor, but they add a nice texture and a little bit of freshness to whatever you are making. Hope you enjoy! Oh…and purslane is everywhere here too!

Devon July 17, 2010

They are always using squash blossoms on Iron Chef America…

I want the Whole Foods people to pick your stuff up! Then I can buy your stuff–I’m in the US. Boo me!!

Page 1 of 212»