Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market Recap Week 5

Good evening!

IMG_2940

Hi Karly and Eric!

Care to try some Glo Bars?

IMG_2983

YUM.

IMG_2938

IMG_2929

Double YUM.

IMG_2935

Today was the hottest day at the market yet! It was at least 30-32C and with humidity it felt like 40C out there. Due to the extreme heat today, the market was very slow, probably the slowest day yet, but we still did on par with Week 1 so we were still quite pleased. Whenever the weather forecast calls for rain, it seems to really die off at the market (even though it didn’t rain until 1:45pm).  I can’t even begin to tell you how hot we all were standing there for almost 6 hours. We MELTED today!

Had it not been for all the friendly people I spoke with, Eric, Karly, and friends that came to visit, it would not have been pleasant!

We have met so many amazing people over the past 5 weeks…yoga instructors, triathletes, runners, cyclists, Whole Foods employees, activists, entrepreneurs, vegans/vegetarians, among others!  I also met a really nice lady who is interested in carrying my Glo Bars in her Oakville Hot Yoga studio. Very fun!

IMG_2937

The Butterfly Bush next to our tent has blossomed…we saw lots of butterflies today!

IMG_2950

IMG_2954

Around noon, Eric went on a little photography spree of downtown Oakville.

IMG_2951

Lakeshore is so beautiful! If I could live anywhere in the GTA it would be Oakville. It has such a great downtown strip with tons of cafes, restaurants, boutiques, bakeries, etc.

IMG_2952

This sign is pretty funny…

IMG_2961

LOL…is this for real???

No catapulting or somersaulting!?

Eric and I so wanted to catapult + somersault into the water after the market today! Total mood kill, Town of Oakville.

Ever tried kiwi-gold raspberries?

IMG_2964

My lovely friend Pat (aka my Purslane dealer!!!) had these beauties in today, as well as 5 other varieties of raspberries! Who knew there were so many varieties of raspberries?

My two favourites (in addition to the Kiwi-golds) were the Canby and Taylor varieties…

IMG_3003

Canby = Candy (That’s what I was calling them)

At noon, I proceeded to eat the entire lot of the Kiwi-gold berries. Ok, Ok Eric had a few that he pried from my kung-fu grip.

I’m kicking myself for not saving any for Kiwi-Gold Banana Soft Serve, but the hunger monster called and I had to listen! If there is one thing I have learned as a vegan it is that I need to eat as soon as I get hungry or I turn into a hunger monster. It ain’t pretty.

Last week Pat didn’t have any Purslane and I shed a single tear on her market table. Well, this week she picked some ‘just for me’ and I took home a huge bag! She is so good to me! Imagine her picking the Purslane in this awful heat for me.

IMG_3014

She also had the real citrusy variety of Purslane today and boy did they taste just like citrus. Crazy. I can’t wait to have them in a Green Monster tomorrow. I think Purslane is my favourite green in a Green Monster! So smooth and buttery on the tongue thanks to all the healthy omega oils.

After a blistering day of heat and sun, the clouds rolled in quickly and a rain storm was a brewing!!!!

IMG_2966

We didn’t mind…I welcomed the strong wind and rain with open arms.

IMG_2974 IMG_2976

A market chef brought around these vegan veggie spring rolls which were wrapped in rice paper.

IMG_2987

This was my first time trying rice paper. I have had no desire to try rice paper as I think it looks gross, but I tried it anyways being the adventurous gal that I am.

To put it nicely, the rice paper was not my cup of tea.

Had I not been talking to Jessica and Alex at the time I would have discretely spit it out in a napkin!! They were all laughing at my reaction after trying it.

IMG_2988

I chewed through this texture nightmare and somehow swallowed my bite. It felt like an hour had passed. Rice paper shall never touch my lips again. It was like eating sticky rubber, if you catch my drift….

Jess came to visit as well as a new friend Nancy and her daughter. Nancy brought me the cutest gift, I can’t wait to show you it.

IMG_2994     IMG_2995

A blog reader named Jen also biked all the way from Toronto today!!

IMG_2945

What a trooper!

I also bartered with another vendor and scored these edible flowers…

IMG_2996

In all the excitement, I forgot what they are called. I was told to stir-fry with them!

IMG_3000

Raspberry photoshoot ensued…

IMG_3006

IMG_3009

I froze a bunch of raspberries for raspberry banana soft serve of course.

IMG_3010

I also scored some Nasturtium which is also new for me…

It was so hot out, it wilted quite a bit.

IMG_3017

Eric deemed this summer the ‘No Veggie Left Behind Tour’.

The heat really got to me today and I am just wiped. Eric and I might go out for Mexican food tonight if we can make it without passing out on the floor first. lol. Have a great Saturday night and I will see you tomorrow!

1 Jennie {in Wonderland} July 17, 2010

My Dad’s from Oakville and I was born in London! I live in Nova Scotia now, but still have fond memories of Oakville… it’s beautiful and has great shops and a fantastic ambience.

That purslane looks DELICIOUS! I am dying to try it in a GM.

2 Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope July 17, 2010

You look so gorgeous in red!! I think it is definitely “your” color…

3 AngelaOSG July 17, 2010

Thank you!

4 Jaya July 17, 2010

Could be mistaken, but those last blooms look a lot like zucchini blossoms maybe?
What a great recap – it’s almost harder to stand around in the heat than it is to be active. At least you can make some self-generated breeze when you’re biking or running. But I have a feeling that everyone who came and sampled/purchased some OSG goodies loved them and was so glad they braved the heat!

5 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

yessss thats the name!!!!

6 Jessica @ Rawtumn July 17, 2010

Yay for raspberries and edible flowers! Can’t wait to see what you whip up with them. The heat here has really been getting to me too. Hope you’re able to muster up the energy to enjoy your night! ;-)

7 Little Aspects July 17, 2010

Oh yum – zucchini flowers!! You can stuff them, they are beautiful! Or cook them with some veg stock, saffron, spring onions and olive oil and toss through pasta.

Those raspberries look amazing!

8 Casey @ Chasing Casey July 17, 2010

For it being so hot out you look fabulous!
Glad you’re doing well at the FM.
You look great it red! So happy and healthy :)

9 aisha July 17, 2010

They are courgette flowers, probably zucchini flowers to you I guess.
Wow at all that purslane, it looks fun. Those raspberries look delicious.
I’m so glad I know someone else who hates the texture of rice paper, it is truly gross, I tried making the rolls myself once, never again, it all went straight into the bin.

10 Maria @ ahealthiermaria July 17, 2010

As always, your farmer’s market spread looks amazing! Also I love that red dress on you! :)

11 Alanna July 17, 2010

I was going to tell you that they were zucchini flowers, but was beaten to it. All I can say is nasturtium…. MMMMMM…. and spicy!

12 Camille July 17, 2010

I think the whole continent is under major heat right now :( I went to the Farmer’s Market here in Southern California yesterday and my sandals were literally burning through. It was awful!
Congrats on another week at the market!

13 GirlonRaw July 17, 2010

Girl, you are so lucky to live near/in such a picturesque place, and who would have guessed that there were so many varieties of raspberries. Wow, I really need to get out of this desolate desert very soon, I hate that nothing can grow here and everything I eat has such huge food miles!!

Good work on the market, you are rocking it big time x

14 Allison @ Food For Healing July 17, 2010

raspberries, *drool* they look so good.

I wish we had some sun here today, its been rainy and gloomy, send some of the heat to Sask. ok?

I really like rice paper, i love making rolls with cucumber and carrots wrapped in rice paper.

15 Chandra July 17, 2010

Did I read your sign right? You wont be at the market at all in August??
I live in Whitby, and was hoping to get out to see you sometime at the market before the summers end, but I work on Saturdays :( I have a couple Saturdays off in August… so I was hoping!! Guess it might not work out for me.. I am DYING to try that Glo Dough!!
I ordered some bars, and love all the flavours I have tried so far!
You look Glowing in your pics!!

16 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

Hi Chandra!

We are taking some of August off for a break, but we might be there 1 weekend in august, will announce it on the blog. Thanks for your support!

17 Julie @SavvyEats July 17, 2010

A. Pretty sure those are squash blossoms?
B. I LOVE yellow raspberries. My favorite, but so hard to find!
C. Now that I live in upstate NY, I seriously want to road trip up to your Farmer’s Market some Saturday and then have a blogger dinner!

18 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

That would be so much fun!!!

19 Heather (Heather's Dish) July 17, 2010

what a fun day! i think those flowers are squash blossoms…they’re really good in a stir fry, but if you can find a way to stuff them they’re AMAZING!

20 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 17, 2010

I love Oakville too. The downtown area is so cute! Although the fact that Oakville has a Whole Foods is enough to make me love it!

I think those edible flowers are zucchini flowers. My dad had to go all the way to Toronto to get his hands on some for a pasta dish he made last week!

21 Katheryn July 17, 2010

Sticky rubber…..yeah, I get your drift.

BTW, you loved the color of the dress on you.

22 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is July 17, 2010

I’d love to try kiwi gold raspberries! Those sounds delicious.

23 Bridget July 17, 2010

Whew! what a scorcher you had! I get really grumpy and lazy in that kinda weather.

All your glo products look so spectacular! I’ve never seen anything quite like them :)

24 Meg July 17, 2010

HAHA that sign!!! That’s hilarious! Everything looks beautiful, Angela!! Especially you and your glo-bars :D Glad you had a great weekend!

25 Exercise and Eat July 17, 2010

You look so beautiful! And the food… totally drool-worthy!

26 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 17, 2010

Yup, pretty sure they’re squash blossoms as well! They look very similar to these… http://bit.ly/aQG293. The raspberries look SOOOO juicy!

27 Charlotte July 17, 2010

“It was like eating sticky rubber, if you catch my drift…. ” HAHA on Ange you are so crazy…I have always loved rice paper but I think I’m gonna remember that comment every time I have a spring roll now!

28 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter July 17, 2010

Stir Fry with flowers?! Sounds absolutely spectacular :)

29 Erin July 17, 2010

Yes, I was going to suggest zucchini blossoms too but maybe not? Love all the bright colors and sunshine!

30 Erica July 17, 2010

First of all, can I just say that you look gorgeous in that red dress!?!

Can’t wait to see how you cook up the edible flowers! I’ve never had/seem that before!

31 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

aww thank you! :)

32 Becca July 17, 2010

Yeah they are zucchini flowers! I only know this because I just got back from Italy where it is a specialty to DEEP FRY THEM! Delicious but not so glowing….. :)

33 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

hhaha myabe deep fried in sunflower oil?? ;p

34 http://tanyasdaily.blogspot.com/ July 17, 2010

Your display looks very professional and delicious!

35 Amanda July 17, 2010

You’re hilarious! “Sticky rubber” had me laughing for a good five minutes.

The flowers look like squash blossoms. There’s a great looking recipe for stuffed blossoms here: http://veganforthepeople.blogspot.com/2009/08/stuffed-zucchini-squash-blossoms.html

36 Kris July 17, 2010

Sorry you didn’t like the fresh spring rolls. I love them and find them so refreshing in hot weather. Maybe if you had them with some dipping sauce? I don’t find the texture very rubbery; I like how malleable they are and you can stuff them w/ anything! Have a nice, relaxing evening.

37 Anna July 17, 2010

I think they might be courgette flowers… or zucchini flowers as they’re called in the US (and might be in Canada?!). I used to make omelet with them before I became vegan. If you have a good recipe for them please post!

38 *Andrea* July 17, 2010

you are so beautiful angela!!! love that dress. your skin seriously glows and you are so smiley and just happy…this is all in 2-D too ;)

those kiwi-gold raspberries look amazing. i just love new varieties of fruits and veggies. nature is soooo amazing haha

39 Penny Knight July 17, 2010

Angela, Your glo bars/ balls look fabulous! I want to comeout to the Oakville Farmers Market, it looks so much nicer than the Farmers Market’s we have in the Hot Deserts of Indio, California. I think it will be a hard sell this summer to convince Grandma we should go to Canada for your farmers markets, maybe next year.

40 LisaG July 17, 2010

I’m with ya on the rice paper. It’s like eating skin huh?

41 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

yes it was soooo strange

42 Wei-Wei July 17, 2010

Wow, you look lovely Ange! I would hate having to work in a Farmer’s Market in THIS heat. And purslane is one vegetable I sincerely have not heard of until I read about it here! I love how you teach me new things :)

Wei-Wei

43 ari July 17, 2010

i think those are squash blossoms!

44 Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ July 17, 2010

Another successful day at the market. I never knew that there are different types of raspberries. I feel so sheltered.

45 Hannah July 17, 2010

mmmmm everything looks so good, thoses raspberries look so fresh :)

46 Liesl Hypki July 17, 2010

Those flowers you were given are squash blossoms. I live in Mexico and they are a specialty here. The Mexicans make a soup with them, and also, quesadillas. They don’t have much flavor, but they add a nice texture and a little bit of freshness to whatever you are making. Hope you enjoy! Oh…and purslane is everywhere here too!

47 Devon July 17, 2010

They are always using squash blossoms on Iron Chef America…

I want the Whole Foods people to pick your stuff up! Then I can buy your stuff–I’m in the US. Boo me!!

48 Jillian July 17, 2010

I love this post, you look STUNNING! I have one question, you said you might go get Mexican… As a vegan what do you order from a mexican restaurant?

49 Laura (youngDCliving) July 17, 2010

Zucchini flowers! You can stuff them with goat cheese and pan fry them, they are DELICIOUS.

50 Chelsey July 17, 2010

Girl, if I was walking around that market, I would totally buy from you because you’re just too stinkin cute!!! Are you sure you weren’t at a model shoot for glo bars? haha!

I have never seen zucchini flowers before – it sound interesting. Make sure to post a recipe when you make your stir fry!

51 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

haha thanks! :)

52 Shannon, Tropical Eats July 17, 2010

aw you look so purdy!!! congrats on the success of your business! i think it is soooooooo amazing foreal :)

53 Katie July 17, 2010

Those flowers are squash blossoms. tehy are okay in stir fries, but are so much better stuffed! I’ve stuffed them with pretty much everything I can think of – black bean dip, hummus, cashew cheeze, anything creamy is really great. You just stuff them, and most people pan-fry them, but I like to broil them – they get a little crispier that way, without all the oil.

54 Krista July 17, 2010

Those look like zucchini blossoms. My Nonna used to batter and deep fry them when I was a kid!

And I totally cracked up at your description of the rice paper wrapper! Yes, I got your drift, alright and won’t be running out to try it, either!!!

55 Emily July 17, 2010

My aunt and uncle live right on that harbour…it’s so beautiful to just sit out there and enjoy the view when I visit from Montreal. (and a 2 minute walk to all those amazing shops is amazing, too!)

56 Ashley July 17, 2010

I wonder if the rice paper roll wasn’t cooked right? It should have a very easily chewed texture. It looks like it’s a bit chewy in the photo. Strange! You are so purrrdy! :)

57 Laura July 17, 2010

Lol. Drift caught, and I don’t think I’ll be trying rice paper rolls any time soon!

I did try rice vermacelli for the first time recently, and it was also awful. Slimy and ick. And it went everywhere. People kept pulling it out of the sink afterwards while we were doing the dishes and shrieking “…there are WORMS in the sink!”

58 Kelly July 17, 2010

I agree with the others, those are definitely squash or zucchini blossoms. I like mine stuffed and fried, definitely not as healthy but oh so delicious. And sorry to hear you didn’t like the rice paper. I actually really enjoy the texture.

59 Karly (Becoming My Best Self) July 17, 2010

For some reason I think I remember seeing on the sign that those are zucchini flowers. Would that make sense? :) Did the new tent withstand the rain? Hope so!

60 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

yesss the tent held up beautifully!

61 mine July 18, 2010

here’s another recipe for stuffed zucchini flowers, no frying needed

i haven’t tried this particular recipe but i’ve had similarly prepared stuffed zucchini flowers and they were great. you can also serve/eat them cold like stuffed grape leaves, which is good for the summer.

62 Sarah July 18, 2010

I’m so glad to hear someone else uses purslane- I adore purslane in my GMs!
I moved to Syria a couple of months ago and it is impossible to find spinach in the souqs. I was so disappointed because my GM routine had to change. One of the farmers recommended purslane and I haven’t looked back since. You can buy enormous bunches of it here for only $.10.

My only problem is that it takes forever to get the leaves off the stalks. Do you ever use the stalks?

63 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

yup I use everything leaves and stalks :) yummm

64 Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales July 18, 2010

Looks like you had a good day at the market, despite the ehat. Oakville looks really pretty – as do you!!

65 Clare July 18, 2010

Yay! Thanks for the Oakville shout-out! I grew up here and am now raising my children here. Love it. I laughed at the “no somersaults” sign…It’s been worded like that for as long as I can remember. With this weather you can see how folks might WANT to jump into the lake from the bridge.
I love rice paper rolls but only if someone else makes them and ONLY with some sort of dipping sauce. They are a good vehicle for sweet chilli dipping sauce.

66 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

I would love to live in Oakville someday…so much character and energy!

67 rachel July 18, 2010

love the raspberries, yum!
i think i have some of that purslane stuff growing in my yard…:)

68 Miriam July 18, 2010

Those are called zucchini flowers! :)

69 Jen July 18, 2010

re: the rice paper- I could eat spring rolls every single day! For some reason the texture doesn’t bother me. I love the combination of the chewy rice paper and fresh, crisp veggies.

70 Michelle July 18, 2010

I also don’t mind the texture of the rice paper, they are some of my favorite foods to eat actually! Yum!

71 caryn July 18, 2010

i hope this doesn’t come across as too weird, but Eric looks wonderful! he could have is own “Oh he glows” blog! hehe :) it looks like you’re having a blast at the farmer’s market! congrats on being so successful!

72 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

Eric says thank you for the compliment! Not weird, I definitely have noticed a change in him since he cut out coke and whatnot. He is doing awesome!

73 Kristin July 18, 2010

Ha ha, I was thinking the same thing. :) You and Eric look like complete babes!! Where did you get your red dress? I love it.

74 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

haha thank you…the dress is from Target in Macrh 2010 (Florida trip!)

75 Paige (Running Around Normal) July 18, 2010

Sounds like a successful and fun day! You look gorgeous in the pics, and I think it’s so sweet Eric always comes out to help you:)

76 Amber K July 18, 2010

Oh man, rice paper is disgusting!

BEAUTIFUL dress! It looks great on you. =)

77 Rachelle July 18, 2010

Hi Angela,
I live in Oakville. Last week I was googling “try a tri” and “Oakville” and stumbled upon your blog. Since then I have read it faithfully. My husband Kevin and I had to play tennis and go for a walk in Lion’s Valley yesterday morning so I sent my Mom and Dad to your stand for Glo bars and whatever else they could find. They are on their way over now with their purchases. I can’t wait to sample them! I love your blog and the beautiful pictures, as well as the vegan recipes.
Thank you!
Rachelle

78 AngelaOSG July 18, 2010

That is too funny…I think I remember your parents…they were SO cute! Had no idea what to get you…lol…I tried to guide them, but they made sure you would be happy! =) You are a lucky girl. Glad you enjoy the blog…nice to meet others close by!

79 Molly July 18, 2010

Congratulations on the success of your Glo Products! You are an inspiration for what I want to do in the future.

80 Lauren M. July 18, 2010

I just bought some zucchini blossoms from my farmer’s market as well. I deep fried them (I NEVER deep fry anything, but a famous restaurant in Los Angeles has them on their menu, so I thought I’d give it a shot myself). They turned out sooo good. I dusted them with powdered sugar and it was like a flowery funnel cake. MMMMM.

81 Jess Muhlbier July 19, 2010

LOL love how you took photos of the rice paper roll, that was too funny!!

Sooo Glo Dough = amazing-best-thing-ever. Next time I’m picking up bars AND Glo dough ;)

My good friend and colleague loved the Liberate Glo Bars I got her. We both wish that Glo products were sold in Toronto..perhaps someday soon ;) =)

Have a great day and see you soon!

82 jenn July 19, 2010

Pumpkin flowers are also edible.

83 Fanta July 19, 2010

Your fresh rolls look superb! I was disappointed when I ordered vegan fresh rolls at “The Fainting Goat” newer restaurant in Regina,Saskatchewan… There’s were deep fried. (should have said spring rolls) I’ve incorporated more vegetarian/vegan dishes in our diet and have really enjoyed it! However when it comes to eating out at designated restaurants I have found some of the vegan dishes here quite comical such as ordering a vegan burger and getting it with cheese… hmm… I didn’t think cheese was suppose to be incorporated. (I didn’t mind it, just wasn’t expected) We are lacking the vegetarian/vegan selections in our city and gratefuly have one place we can go to 13th Ave Coffee House. *crossing fingers it will never leave!*

84 Zehra July 26, 2010

Angela, it’s so awesome you’re selling your stuff in a farmer’s market! So jealous of Oakville, I wish you were at my local market! :) Best of luck with everything. Love this website and the gorgeous healthful food photos!!

z