Rawlicious

Good evening morning! I am writing this post at 12:15am. Am I dedicated, crazy, or just really excited to tell you about my fun evening? I’ll let you decide…  :biggrin:

As part of this week’s checklist, I decided that I need more downtime in the evenings…

I put together an impromptu night out and 10 of us met late this evening at Rawlicious in Toronto. A couple of the ladies had already been before and told me that I must try it out at once!

A girl’s gotta do what a girl’s gotta do…

IMG_2480

“Rawlicious is a totally raw, vegan cafe. We strive to serve healthy delicious food in a comfortable atmosphere … with a dash of inspiration. There is no wheat, no meat, no dairy nor refined sugar in anything served.”

From the moment I stood in front of Rawlicious, I knew this was a restaurant that did it right

It was oozing with character, ambiance, warmth, and health. (Yes, it glowed!!!) They crossed their t’s and dotted their i’s.

It is all about the attention to detail in a restaurant and I was excited from the moment I walked into the door.

I will let the pictures tell a thousand words…

IMG_2463

Cutie Callie!

IMG_2473

IMG_2475

IMG_2476

IMG_2477

IMG_2401

Now this is what I’m talking about!!!! I have been waiting for a restaurant like this to tell you about.

It has a warm, inviting, and breath-taking atmosphere. You feel all warm and fuzzy just being inside the restaurant. You want to hug a tree.

Girlfriends Jessica, Kristin, Sarah, Susan, Jess, Jenn, Callie, and Laura were all there to join in on the fun!

IMG_2394

I booked the ‘Zen Den’ tonight and it was so amazing! A low table complete with a ton of beautiful cushions, candles, low lighting, art work, etc. It is a private, serene, and peaceful room to enjoy great company and food!

IMG_2398

Action shots!

IMG_2415

IMG_2417

IMG_2446

IMG_2447

I started with the Lean Green juice made up of Celery, Cucumber, Spinach, Kale + I added Spirulina.

IMG_2402

Finally the green juice that I dreamed and hoped for!!!

Mmmmm. It was awesome and made fresh. The only way it should be!

We all split the Nacho Platter for an appetizer – the classic trio of Guacamole, “Sour Cream” & Salsa served with sliced green olives, green onions, hot banana peppers and a pile of Rawlicious Nacho Chips.

IMG_2414

IMG_2411

All three were superb. The raw sour cream was exceptionally tasty! We think it was a mix of cashews, lemon, garlic, and tahini (but we were just guessing!).

IMG_2412

The Rawlicious Nacho Chips were INCREDIBLE!

IMG_2419

Tonight I was careful not to overdo it on nut-based foods. My stomach is very sensitive to nuts and if I eat too many I get terrible pains.

Keeping this in mind, I chose the Rawitch which is made up of Fresh veggies & sprouts with guacamole piled high on Onion Bread.

It sounded perfect…and it WAS!

IMG_2421

I also got a salad on the side with their balsamic vinaigrette. The salad was awesome too!

IMG_2431

The Rawitch in all it’s glory…

IMG_2433

These pictures really don’t do this rawitch justice. It was probably one of the best sandwiches I have ever had in my life!

IMG_2438

I was so full I had to save half and bring a doggie bag home. I cannot wait for lunch tomorrow!  :biggrin:

Then we all split the raw brownie with icing

IMG_2445

Oh. Dear. Me.

Words cannot explain the taste of this brownie. It was perfection.

I also ordered a David’s Tea ‘Exotica’ to end the evening…

IMG_2453

What an amazing night, amazing company, and amazing food. Every single one of us raved about what we ordered and all of us want to go back ASAP.

Other entrees:

Collard wrap…

IMG_2427

Zucchini spaghetti…

IMG_2430

There was also an amazing pizza, but my picture didn’t turn out so hot! I will definitely be ordering it in the near future.

We had such a blast tonight. Thanks to all the ladies for coming out!

Jenn + Jess [They just did an intense Booty Camp Fitness class before arriving!]

IMG_2442

Callie, Laura, Kristin:

IMG_2458

Sarah, Susan, Jessica:

IMG_2459

Thank you to the amazing staff at Rawlicious too. They treated us like queens all night long!

IMG_2469

I have not had better service anywhere in Toronto. If you are in the area you should stop by for a meal. You will not regret it!

And I always support a thumbs up.

IMG_2468

I think I have a new favourite restaurant.  :biggrin:

Well, this girl is off to bed to dream of Rawlicious brownies. Night!

1 Lauren M. July 14, 2010

Oh goodness. You have me drooling and wishing I did not live so far away in California. :(

2 Kelsey (Nourishing Noshes) July 14, 2010

Oh, I am so jealous! I wish there were restaurants around here that offered Raw/Vegan food!

3 Laura (Starloz) July 14, 2010

I cant believe how perfect Toronto sounds. All these perfect markets & healthy restaurants.
I’m definitely adding Toronto to my next travels.

I’m going to explore Sydney some more, I need to find hidden treasures!

4 Lalla July 14, 2010

Oh, I am so jealous! If I want to eat in Restaurants that offer (tasty) Raw/Vegan food I have to go to big cities as Zurich or Genève! (3 to 5h with train) :(
I wish there were restaurants around here that offered that food! And I would like to give a bite to the cake!! ;) hehehe

5 nicole Slater July 14, 2010

OOO yum! I wish that we had a raw resturant where I live! The closest would be Portland… which is 6 hours away. Only me and my kitchen in this area. =)
The food looks absolutely delicious. Thanks for sharing!

6 Nikki T July 14, 2010

Oooo, you’re the first one I’ve seen with the same name as me! Well…before I got married I was Nicole Slater :)

7 sarah July 14, 2010

Wow, that is so amazing!
I shall save up for my summer holidays and take a trip to toronto Canada and experience that awesome restaurant.
Angela you pictures look fantastic and I love all the action pics too.
You girls look amazing!!^^
Have a good rest!!

8 Freya @ Brit Chick Runs July 14, 2010

One of your waitresses totally looked like Katie Holmes!
I am sooo jealous of your meal though, it sounds amazing! I’m trying to persuade my mum to eat with ,me at the raw food cafe in London Whole Foods…she’s not keen!

9 Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope July 14, 2010

holy crap, that was going to be my comment! She totally did in that first photo.

10 Kerry July 14, 2010

This looks like an amazing restaurant! The atmosphere looks great, i love restaurants like this! Great thats it’s all vegan as well, we have none of them over here! xx

11 Bethany @ More Fruit Please July 14, 2010

So happy that you had a fun night out with the girls! It looks fabulous!!

12 Marijke July 14, 2010

I also thought one of the girls looked like Katie Holmes!

Inspired by your obsession with all-that-is-healthy, I made my first ever Green Monster this morning! It was a little on the thick side but I enjoyed it and look forward to experimenting with different ingredients! My fiancé was not overly keen but I think it was the texture of the drink that he was opposed to… I’m making it my mission to get him to enjoy these GMs!!!

13 Sasha July 14, 2010

Hurray for your downtime! It’s always so relaxing and fun to get together with girlfriends.
And what a restaurant! LOVED the ambience…very Indian what with the elephant and silk cushions etc.,
The food sounds and looks amazing too. So happy you found a new favourite restaurant :)

14 Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales July 14, 2010

Wow, it’s all been about the blogger meet-ups recently! That restaurant looks absolutely awesome and the food looks fab-o. Glad you guys enjoyed it!!

15 Jessica @ How Sweet It Is July 14, 2010

Wow that meetup looks amazing! And the food looks incredible!

16 Jenn @ So Very Fabulous July 14, 2010

WOW, everything looks amazing! I’m sad I couldn’t make it out last night. Looks like everyone had a blast, not to mention all the yummy food!

I’m definitely going to have to put this on my list of places to try. :)

17 Tea Bag July 14, 2010

Haha! I used to be the baker/dessert chef at an organic cafe in San Francisco that did a lot of vegan & raw foods. Your post gave me flashbacks of cracking endless amounts of coconuts! I’d have to crack them and then scrape the meat out to use as binders for my raspberry pies. A lot of work!!! But it was worth it because the owner let us cooks have the fresh coconut water!!! A delicious and nutrtionally beneficial beverage!

18 Katie July 14, 2010

Wow this place is so cute and all the food looks amazing!!! After you saying amazing things about your meal, Im ready to jump on a plane and go there!!! Looks so yum! The brownie looks delish too, I would want one all to myself!

Blogger meetups look so fun, I hope to do one soon!!!

Have a great day Angela!

19 Amy July 14, 2010

Holy yum! Absolutely everything looked delicious!

20 Danielle @ Body By Nature July 14, 2010

Wow, this place looks great! And the food…YUMMY!

21 Courtney @ Three Months July 14, 2010

Rawlicious looks like so much fun! I’m glad you got to spend time with friends – always good for the soul! :)

22 Diana @ frontyardfoodie July 14, 2010

I have been dying for a place like this to come to my city! I guess I’ll just have to visit other ones or drool over your photos. hehe

23 Adrienne July 14, 2010

I need that brownie immdeiately!! What’s the address??

24 Therese July 14, 2010

Ack! So wish I could’ve been there! I was stuck in a computer lab all night! Boo!!!

Definitely going to have to check Rawlicious out. Of course, I could always try and pull your arm to go again maybe? :P

25 Jess @ Jessica is Getting Fit July 14, 2010

That collard wrap looks REALLY good! Yum!

26 chelsey July 14, 2010

what beautiful ladies you were with last night! as always, i’m loving your ‘fit – i always try to do scarves in the summer, but get way too warm.

i think i need to visit Toronto just for that restaurant. Not. Even. Joking.

That looks soooooo good!!!!

27 Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 14, 2010

That’s quite the review! I’ll have to go there sometime :D

28 Rhea (Greek Feaster) July 14, 2010

I maintain that there are few greater satisfactions in life than finding a really great restaurant. The best sort is when you can’t decide what to get because what you had last time was SO GOOD and everything else on the menu looks INCREDIBLE.
I love the colors at the restaurant, they did a great job cozying it up. It almost reminds me of a chic hobbit’s den!
Glad you had a fun night. Have a great day!

29 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans July 14, 2010

Thanks for adding another restaurant to my “must visit soon!” list.

30 Christina July 14, 2010

Everything from the food to the ambiance to you lovely ladies looks fantastic! This place is on my list of places to try, I’m so glad you had a great time!

31 Michelle July 14, 2010

What an awesome looking place. I wish we had a place like that here in the south. If I ever make it to Toronto, I’m there! :o)

32 rachel July 14, 2010

that place and the food look AMAZING. i would love to visit that place. you all look like you had such a great time :)

33 Allison @ Food For Healing July 14, 2010

oh man i wish we had something like that here!! that would be so amazing to try. and plus the atmosphere just looks awesome

34 Annie@stronghealthyfit July 14, 2010

Wow, I wish I had something like that in my area!

35 Jessica Muhlbier July 14, 2010

Great photos Angela! I am so glad we were all able to go =) It was delish and I had a blast. Glad you love Rawlicious just as much as I do ;)

36 alyce July 14, 2010

ooh! A raw restaurant opened here recently, now I’m even more excited to check it out!

37 Alexis @ Mission: Ambition July 14, 2010

That place looks AWESOME! I wish we had places like that here, but Ohio just doesn’t have many options, lol. Your sandwich looks so delicious…isn’t it the best when you have something that awesome waiting for you for lunch? Enjoy!

38 Krystina July 14, 2010

That place looks amazing! I might be getting something similar to that sandwich at a raw restaurant tonight :D

39 Tiffany July 14, 2010

Hey Angela,
I’ve been reading your blog for a while now and I love everything you have to say. You inspire me. I recently started running and I feel amazing, you motivate me to do it and believe that I can even when it feels hard. My farthest run has been 3.75 miles and I just started almost 1 month ago. I am excited to see what this body of mine can do! Also, I am loving your recipes. We (my husband and 2 girls) had the speed it up spinach and chickpeas the other night and it was fantastic. Also loving on the banana soft serve.
Keep on doing what you are doing! Just sending you some love.

Tiffany

40 Bella (Stilettos on the Streetcar) July 14, 2010

Last night was wonderful! Thanks for arranging it. The atmosphere was amazing. The company was fantastic. The food was delicious. A perfect night.

41 Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman July 14, 2010

Talk about making up for a bad meal…this is the way to rebound! I love the interior; it’s so comfortable-looking. The food looks great too!

42 Jil @ Peace, Love & Munchies July 14, 2010

That sandwich looks incredible – as does the entire restaurant. I’d go there in a heartbeat, if it was closer! :-)

43 jenna July 14, 2010

oh my gosh everything looks amazing!! I wish I had one closer to me! everything looks really fresh and flavorful.
impromtu’s are the best!!!

44 Marathon Bound Girl aka Grace July 14, 2010

Finally a really good restaurant for you to review! I’m going to have to hunt down some good vegan/raw places to eat here in the Dallas area. Great pics, great gals and loads of fun, sounds like an awesome GNO to me!!! The food looks absolutely RAWLICIOUS!!!

45 Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ July 14, 2010

That all looks and sounds amazing. It’s so nice to go to a resultant where you can feel good about your choices and pretty much enjoy everything on the menu. I love their kitchen.

46 Ida July 14, 2010

Finding a great new restaurant is always so exciting! Your photos look amazing too.

47 Camille July 14, 2010

What a lovely place! I wish I lived in the area so I could try it!

48 Susan July 14, 2010

Sooo when are we going back? I have a rawitch to try!! :P

49 Nikki T July 14, 2010

Apparently I need to come to Toronto!!
Looks great! mmmmmmmm……..

50 Tina July 14, 2010

That place sounds amazing! I really wish there were more options like that around where I live.

51 Sarah July 14, 2010

YUM. I want a Rawlicious where I live.

52 Rosey Rebecca July 14, 2010

First, let me say that you look so pretty in all of your pics. And I mean that in the least creepy way possible. lol.

Second, I want that restaurant IN my apartment. Not kidding. I love when restaurants have really cool atmospheres. You sandwich looks and sounds so amazing!

53 Jessica @ Jessica Balances July 14, 2010

Oh my goodness, that restaurant looks AMAZING! Wow. My tiny Tennessee town would never have a restaurant like that, unfortunately, but perhaps I will make my way to Canada some day and try out Rawlicious for myself! Also, all of your friends are so cute :) a lovely bunch of ladies!

54 Rachel @ Fit Fun and Fabulous July 14, 2010

What a fun looking evening! You are so incredibly beautiful!!!

55 Meredith July 14, 2010

AWESOME. I’m so checking that place out ASAP. Tonight, though, belongs to Fresh…

56 Heather July 14, 2010

i just thought you should know that i have “fergilicious” stuck in my head now…but i’m singing ‘rawlicious’ instead :)

57 Wei-Wei July 14, 2010

WOW. The details and atmosphere and food just looks amazing! I think this would definitely be appearing more on OSG in the future ;)

Wei-Wei

58 Katie @ Healthy Heddleston July 14, 2010

That place looks awesome! The atmosphere reminds me of a place in Little Italy of Cleveland where I used to live. A friend and I would go there after volleyball games and we’d sit on the cushions and study and talk. They had lots of hot drinks and made a few simple meals too. Definitely awesome — thanks for bringing back some memories!

59 Fueling for Fitness July 14, 2010

Oh that is so exciting!!! My sister is moving into the Junction at the end of this year (she bought a condo nearby!) so we have been scoping out that area for a while now while (also *love* Crema-coffee shop nearby) and have been meaning to check out Rawlicious for about a year now! I am *so* going there, ASAP!! Thanks for the review!

-Alison

60 Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf July 14, 2010

I love the decor! Especially that TABLE!

61 Lauren July 14, 2010

Why don’t I live near places with anything slightly resembling this? What an amazing place…

62 Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter July 14, 2010

Wow that place looks fantastic! I love your top or your dress (I can’t tell from the pictures). It’s so gorgeous!

63 Anya @ Fitness & Sunshine July 14, 2010

All those foods are so interesting! :) I’m glad you enjoyed the experience there, since the last restaurant you went to wasn’t so great.

64 Amber K July 14, 2010

That sounds like an amazing restaurant! I love raw food restaurants because the food always tastes fresh without me having to do any of the work!

65 Jess @ MTL Veggie July 14, 2010

Wow- that place looks amazing!! So glad you were able to finally find another vegan restaurant that you enjoyed :) Definitely need to check that place out next time I’m home!

66 Elizabeth July 14, 2010

Wow! That looks awesome. And you ladies all looked so lovely and healthy!

I just started incorporating more raw foods into our diet (juiced for over 15 yrs)- made a raw lasagne yesterday and it was SO good! Now using my new Vitamix for green smoothies everyday. Usually the nuts used for cream sauces/cheesecakes are raw Macadamias or cashews, soaked and drained from what I’ve read.

Thanks Angela for sharing your experience!

67 A July 14, 2010

Looks great! I’ll be sure to check it out when I’m on the east end.
I was wondering – which CSA program are you with? My CSA in burlington discontinued…

68 Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition July 14, 2010

Looks like a great restaurant! Love the ambiance. Very Earthy yet Chic

We have a bunch of cool places like that here in NYC also- I’m so thankful for that!

xo

Jocelyn

69 Candice @ ChiaSeedMe July 14, 2010

Glad you had such a great time!

Two things I don’t have where I live: blog friends (that I know of anyway) and raw/vegan restaurants. Maybe someday!!

That zucchini has suddenly sold me on getting a spiralizer. I’ve been on the verge of getting one forever, but I must take the plunge now!

70 Bridget July 14, 2010

Yay :) I’m so glad that you found a place that you really enjoy, especially after some of the not-so-great restaurants you’ve tried recently. Nothing makes an experience like amazing food and amazing staff!

71 Steph (@ mediterraneanmiss) July 14, 2010

Next time you go I am -ALL- over this restaurant. It looks amazing, and would be a nice (gasp!) break from Fresh.
Looks like you had a fantastic time. How pretty all of you are!! x

72 Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 14, 2010

Ha, gotta love the “When Harry Met Sally…” quote. I love that movie and have seen it WAY too many times.

That place looks like a wonderful little cafe to go with friends. The food looked good and I was definitely feeling the ambiance.

73 Mary (What's Cookin' w. Mary) July 14, 2010

This looks like my kinda place! I wish we had something like this where I live!!

Your green juice sounds great. Whenever I get ‘green juice’ my favorite combo is 1/2 cucumber juice and then a mix of kale, lemon, ginger, apple and parsley. YUM!

74 Laura (youngDCliving) July 14, 2010

This place looks SO good! The love the bohemian look–so much fun. Now, I just need to head across the border and go there myself :)

75 Jess @ Truly.Into.Fitness July 14, 2010

It was such a fun night with DELICIOUS food! Loved the ambiance! We definitely need to go again! Was so nice to see all the ladies again!

76 veganlisa July 14, 2010

Wow, Rawlicious is getting a lot of attention in the blogosphere these days. I just posted about the meetup we had there on Monday. I’m glad you ladies enjoyed it as much as we did.

xo
Lisa

77 Shanna @ Shanna Like Banana July 14, 2010

What fantastic food! And such a gorgeous relaxing atmosphere. I’m on board with the zuchinni spaghetti :)

Wouldn’t it be amazing to start a restaurant like this with your girlfriends??? Sigh..I dream…

78 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) July 14, 2010

Oh my!!! That restaurant sounds fabulous!!! I wish we had something like that in Regina!

79 Leah July 14, 2010

This place sounds amazing!! I need to find something like that around here. Ive never had a legit raw meal, and I would LOVE to!

80 Angela July 14, 2010

That looks delicious … and I’m not even a vegetarian.

81 Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) July 14, 2010

What a fun meetup!! Saw this on Susan’s site, too and yes, I would love to eat raw vegan food with all your lovely ladies!
And I make a mean raw vegan choc brownie…you just need to come to San Diego to try it :)

82 Ed July 14, 2010

I’m so happy you found a restaurant you like! It sounds like a smart match to me :)
For just doing an intense workout, Jenn and Jess look great! Kudos!

83 Marian July 14, 2010

Mmmmmm…..looks so good! I can’t wait to check it out. I also want to try Raw Aura down in Port Credit http://www.raw-aura.com/menu.html

Have you been there yet?

84 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] July 14, 2010

Angela – you look stunning… always GLOing! =)

85 Elli @ 16 and Losing It July 14, 2010

The world needs more restaurants like that! There are almost none were I live! That restaurant and the food looks so beautiful and inviting!

86 GlendaM July 14, 2010

Wow! Sounds great. I will have to check it out my next trip to Toronto.

87 Tiffany July 14, 2010

Wow – what a great restaurant! Everything looks so yummy!

So I’m coming out of “lurkdom” to make my first comment on your blog. I started eating more “clean” and including more vegetarian or vegan meals in my diet a few weeks ago and am loving it! I can’t believe how good I feel. Your blog is one of the most inspiring ones I’ve found and you have some great recipes and tips. I’ve made a couple of Green Monsters and love them and I really enjoy the VOO. Yesterday I made some “strawberry soft serve” to put in my VOO and it was delicious! I can’t have bananas because of my migraines, so I just blended some frozen strawberries with a little bit of milk and it was perfect. The icy, creaminess mixed with the oats was one of the best breakfasts I’ve had in a long time. It was also my first morning trying the Amazing Grass Chocolate SuperFood and I couldn’t believe how much energy I had!

Thank you for all of your inspiring posts and for sharing your life with us to encourage and motivate us to be healthier! :)

88 Alycia @ Fit n Fresh July 14, 2010

I don’t think I’ve ever wished I lived in Canada more than right at this moment. SO JEALOUS!

89 Rachel July 14, 2010

Yes! I love Rawlicious! Whenever I go to Toronto I always try to go to great healthy restaurants and Rawlicious was one of them. I also got the onion rawitch and it was AMAZING!!! I would also recommend The Beet, another great organic restaurant!

90 Melanie July 14, 2010

Sounds delicious! I’m new to reading your blog (you can thank FitSugar for putting a link to your smelt pancake post!) and I love it! Hoping to find some good Vegan type restaurants here in San Francisco as I’m trying to find more options. Not going completely vegan but want to try to incorporate it more into my diet.

Thanks!

91 Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 14, 2010

Ahh that looks amazing! I’m so annoyed I couldn’t come, but definitely let me know next time – I neeeed to try this place. :)

92 Autumn @ Good Eats Girl July 14, 2010

Wow! This looks like so much fun! And the food looks amazing!

93 bitt July 14, 2010

rawlicious is THE place to be! some other bloggers had a meetup there recently:

94 Jodi July 14, 2010

I have sad news to report! This am i was attempting to make green banana soft serve ( spinach and banana and vanilla) when my blender blew up! I know you can feel my pain! Oh and i live in Jasper, Alberta and it snowed here yesterday, Mid july and yes thats right SNOW!!! so when you are baking in over there think about us over here freezing! :)

95 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 14, 2010

This restaurant looks so perfect! I love its decor and the food looks phenomenal too! I love reading all your reviews of Toronto restaurants so that I can weed out all the bad places from the ones worth checking out. This one is definitely going on my list!

96 Lauren July 14, 2010

Oh wow, I am so jealous! I wish I could have joined you guys at Rawlicious. It is one of those restaurants that I’ve never been to, always wanted to try…but just never make it because I’m lazy and I live so much closer to Fresh and Live Organic Food Bar, so it’s more convenient…
But the pictures look lovely and I love a place with good service. The food looks delicious too. I will have to check it out soon.
Hopefully there will be another meet up there in the future…would also love to meet you gorgeous girls!

97 Pure2raw twins July 14, 2010

This restaurant sounds amazing. We just saw some other bloggers went there too ; )
We cannot handle a lot of nuts too. All the food looked amazing, and we would love to meet all of you beautiful girls!! What fun!!

98 Emily July 15, 2010

That looks so awesome! What was the price of your meal? Is it an expensive place?