Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 4

Good evening!

Another Saturday, another Farmer’s market

IMG 2000 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 4

We were blessed with another gorgeous, sunny, and hot day! Unlike the past few weeks, the humidity was very low and there was a nice breeze today. It was just perfection!!!

Setting up…

IMG 1993 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 4

Let’s just say packing and unpacking takes a loooong time. It takes us a good hour to set up.

IMG 1996 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 4

Eric made a Market Checklist and he makes us go through it together every Friday night! It is hilarious.

IMG 2037 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 4

He gets really into it!  :biggrin:

He doesn’t strike me as the ‘list maker type’, however he just informed me that he makes lists at work too. Just when I thought I knew the man who sleeps next to me each night he throws this curve ball at me.

IMG 2038 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 4

I love that he gave himself his own section on the list. He is always on call for work on weekends so he always has to bring his laptop, pager, and internet card. He actually got paged twice today and had to leave for a bit. When he returned there were about 10 people around our table and I was feeling the pressure! lol.

FYI- Sunglasses and Snacks are crossed off because 1) He lost his sunglasses and 2) He can just eat Glo Bars. There is a method to his madness I tell you!

I always giggle to myself when I see him going over the checklist and ticking things off and writing notes to himself.

IMG 2036 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 4

Love that he wrote ‘Ange’s Tea’ and circled it. I guess it is not a secret that I need it to function in the morning!  :tongue: Happy wife = happy life….

Here are the pictures of the Chocolate Peanut Butter Macaroons! They sold out very fast. Next week I will have to make more. I wish I still had one to eat right now…I would inhale it.

IMG 1997 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 4

Funny fact: Several children run up to the Glo Dough and grab a ball and inhale them! It is hilarious. We hear a lot of the kids chanting, ‘Glo Dough, Glo Dough, Glo Dough’!!! You can’t put a price on that kind of entertainment.

We had about 4 plates of Glo Bar samples today- Adore, Empower, Liberate, and Present, along with samples of chocolate chip cookie Glo Dough, Chocolate PB macaroons, and chocolate coffee macaroons.

IMG 2002 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 4

Dooooooogies! There were lots today.

IMG 2012 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 4

As predicted, it died off at noon…like clockwork! However, we still had an excellent morning of sales. Each week we sell more and see more return customers (and lots of new friendly faces!). I met several more blog readers today too, but didn’t get any pictures as it was super busy at the time. I wish I could chat the day away with these awesome ladies. I also told some new ladies about my blog today so hopefully we have some new readers stopping by!

IMG 2016 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 4

Where the magic happens…

IMG 2017 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 4

IMG 2023 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 4

A man asked Eric if he ‘loved yoga’ (as my Lululemon water bottle says!) his response was, ‘Ummm I love when my wife does yoga…

IMG 2025 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 4

Eric is actually a natural at yoga. He tried a downward dog once and would have put Rodney Yee to shame. I was so jealous.

IMG 2027 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 4

[PS- News will be forthcoming about Eric’s guest post.]

The only produce I purchased at the market was fresh mint for my Green Monsters…can’t wait! I was going to buy cherries, but they informed me that their organic cherries were no longer organic as they had to spray them with pesticides to keep them alive. Total bummer.

Lunch was soooo late- not until about 4pm! Hunger monster was full force.

I snipped some fresh basil from the plant in the backyard for my open-faced sandwich. Not only have I not killed the basil plant yet, but I am happy to report to you that it has NEW GROWTH. *Swoon. I know, pictures will follow shortly. I almost shed a tear.

IMG 1805 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 4

This Sandwich featured two slices of toasted Ezekiel bread, spinach, roasted red pepper hummus, tomato paste, sea salt, ground black pepper, and basil. Perfecto!

IMG 1806 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 4

I also had a huuuuge salad composed of mixed greens, carrots, tomato, Aduki beans, green onions, and snow peas.

IMG 1809 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 4

This was my first time trying Aduki Beans and I must say I was not wowed. At least not eating them plain. They might be nice in my Maple Baked Beans. (Totally just got a craving for those baked beans again).

IMG 17742 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 4

The salad was still good though and I gobbled it up.

IMG 1810 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 4

However the hunger monster was not tamed yet, I proceeded to have a Cherry, Banana, and Coconut Butter mini loaf heated up in the microwave for 10 seconds. It was much more moist after being heated up.

IMG 1812 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 4

And even more delicious with some Earth Balance

IMG 19542 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 4

Yum.

Well, it’s time for a late dinner and then we are off to visit with some friends for the evening. Have a great night and I will see you tomorrow!

*Andrea* July 10, 2010

awww eric is so supportive with his checklist! you have one great hubby!!!
he looks awfully cute in the pic ;)

i had a feeling the chocolate pb macaroons would be a hit. i am drooling thinking about one! instead i will settle with some carob chips tonight :D

Cynthia (It All Changes) July 10, 2010

That’s the same kind of comment Hunni makes about yoga ;-)

Maria @ Oh Healthy Day July 10, 2010

So…when is the secret Glo Dough recipe being shared? Haha. I need to figure these out, because I drool each time I see the photos!
So happy that your Farmer’s Market booth is very successful! Props to the both of you!

Hunter July 10, 2010

Your pictures have me chanting “Glo dough” myself. Even though I live in Vancouver, a famously veggie-friendly city, decent tasty/healthy vegan goodies are still not readily available and when I do find one, it is often uninspired….or loaded with sugar and fat as if to say “Vegans can eat crappy too! We’re not all hemp seeds and carob! Taste me, I defy you to say I am not as bad for you as a regular cookie/tart/muffin!” Dessert with an inferiority complex, it is!
You sure put in a lot of work to bring the goodness though. I hope things just keep picking up speed for the bakery!

Question: do you find it easy to make such a volume of goodies without sampling excessively? I am a total “one for the pan, one for me!” sort of baker. Of course, dealing with the volume you do this would be an unlikely scenario!

Charlotte July 10, 2010

Hi Ange!

I just died when you showed us Eric’s packing list – it’s so sweet of him.

Adzuki beans are commonly used in dessert recipes in Asian cuisine, so I grew up eating them in in sweet paste form, wrapped in all sorts of delicious starchy carbs. Since I went vegan I usually don’t indulge in these, but one of my favorite ways to eat adzuki is in sweet soup form during the winters.

There is a simple recipe for making it here: http://chinesefood.about.com/od/chinesesouprecipes/r/redbeansoup.htm

If it’s too hot to drink this during the summer, you can basically use the same recipe but substitute mung beans, which according to Chinese medicine, have cooling effects on the body. Mung bean soup is especially delicious icy cold…I actually made some today and might post a recipe on my site soon, but if you try it yourself let me know what you think!

Becki @ HikeBikeEat July 10, 2010

Your stamina is incredible. I can’t wait to order some Glo bars! I’m gonna go check them out now :)

Liz July 10, 2010

You and Eric are the cutest people ever!

Kris July 10, 2010

Glad you had another successful farmer’s market. I would love to be there to see you, Eric and your wonderful products. You’re a special lady with a special husband. Have a relaxing evening!

Wei-Wei July 10, 2010

You have an awesome husband! He seems to be a natural with athletics?!

BTW: Those “aduki” beans are actually called “adzuki”, and no wonder you didn’t like them in your salad! They’re meant to be eaten as a warm, winter dessert in Japan; I’m not quite sure about the exact preparation method, but you add something sweet while you cook them until they’re cooked and almost syrupy. Then you can eat it with a splash of cold milk, or add ice cubes, etc. I’ll ask my mom! :) (And apparently they’re eaten savoury-style in more western countries – I don’t know anything about that!)

Wei-Wei

Lauren M. July 10, 2010

Wish I could have me some GloDough!!

I don’t know if anyone has informed you…but when your basil begins to flower, be sure to pick the buds of ASAP or else all of the basil’s efforts will go toward growing it’s flowers and the basil leaves will wither. This is what I tell all the customers buying fresh basil at Trader Joe’s. I am a wellspring of information. Haha. Just kidding! Have a relaxing night.

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf July 10, 2010

I’m so hoping I don’t kill my basil plant. I opted to buy the plant instead of buy fresh basil from the grocery section because they were both $3. But the sun is so direct and scorching that my plants have a hard time surviving! :(

I ought to try a sandwich with fresh basil!

Crystal @ West Coast Peach July 10, 2010

Those beans are often sweetened in Asian cuisine. Red bean paste (the sweetened, mashed up version) is delicious! One of my favourite desserts is a red bean pastry with toasted sesame seeds on top.

Eric sounds so funny! The yoga comment was hilarious. :D

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ July 10, 2010

Your table setup looks so good and it’s nice to see a husband so supportive and helpful, love the list great idea.

You must have read my mind. I was searching around the internet for a vegetarian baked bean recipe to make tomorrow. I’ll check out your recipe.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 10, 2010

Awww I LOVE that list!! You might just have one of the best husbands in the world… I think I need to find an Eric haha!!!
I’m with you on the aduki beans thing…. I had high hopes in the beginning, but they weren’t really what I expected them to be!

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope July 10, 2010

lol@ Eric’s yoga comment. Sounds like something Mirza (bf) would say, too!

By the way, you’ve inspired me to try Sencha green tea. This afternoon, I went to teavana and bought 2oz and a cute tea mug infuser. I normally like green tea, so i’m not too concerned about liking it or not, but have never used LOOSE tea before. I’m worried about not preparing it the right way, as far as the water temperature goes, etc. I know they say never use boiling water, but what if you boil the water, and then let it sit a little so it isn’t scorching, and then pour it over the leaves? see, I have too many questions!

Nicole of Raspberry Stethoscope July 11, 2010

Alright Angela, I ended up doing a post on my experience with the Sencha green tea, and dedicated it to you, hahah!

Jennifer July 10, 2010

Just an idea, but with all the pet owners there, you might consider making some doggie Glo bars! Pet owners here in the states usually spare no expense to make their 4 legged children happy. When I lived in St. Louis there were bakeries just for doggie treats.

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans July 10, 2010

I love that Eric makes the list and is really involved. Thats so cute!!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is July 10, 2010

Those checklists are a great idea. I can’t imagine how stressful it would be trying to remember everything!

Annie July 10, 2010

Your hubby sounds so sweet!

Cara July 10, 2010

Your booth looks so great!
I can only imagine all the prep and hard work that goes into it all; you should be super proud of yourself! You are blessed to have such a supportive husband!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) July 10, 2010

I grew up using adzuki beans as a dessert–in a sweet soup. Add some sweetener, it really brings out the taste! Also we eat it mashed….sweet too.

Lynna July 10, 2010

I love reading your posts about the Farmer’s Market every week and I am so happy your stuff is selling well! I also love that you keep creating new products like Glo-Dough and Macaroons. It seems so fun, I’m a little jealous!

Monique@She's Going The Distance July 10, 2010

heheheh, that’s the cutest list ever :) such a sweet husband!!

Ed July 10, 2010

What a great guy! Eric is so supportive!

Amber K July 10, 2010

The Glo-Dough looks SOOO good! Glad you are having such success at the market. =)

healthyteacher July 10, 2010

I love all these pictures. Farmer’s markets are the best.

Camille July 11, 2010

Haha, “Happy wife=happy life”… I love it!

Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey July 11, 2010

I love reading about your Farmer’s Market adventures. I only wish there was something like the Glo Bars at my Farmer’s Market! The buyers there prefer candied nuts and Texas BBQ. :/ I’m also very jealous of all the little children that got to try the Glo-Doughs! They look heavenly. :)

Oh, I am a total list-maker. I definitely can relate to Eric; it’s a great, right-in-front-of-you way to keep your thoughts in order.

Your meal looks wonderful. I’m waiting for my bananas to ripen so I can make some of that bread!

bitt July 11, 2010

i love adzuki beans so much i named my dog after them. :-)

thanks for sharing the list with us! my hubby is obsessed with excel and list making.

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs July 11, 2010

Haha – I love how ‘bungee rope’ is on the list – is that what you went off to do at noon when the market got quieter!?
Congrats on the selling :D

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter July 11, 2010

I love this post! I always really enjoy your Farmer’s Market posts. Glad to know everything is selling very well :)

Little Bookworm July 11, 2010

Congrats on the Farmer’s Market going well! The Glo-Doughs look amazing! :D

JL Goes Vegan July 11, 2010

Angela, don’t give up on the Azuki beans! They are great in fall/winter dishes with squash and also great with Asian seasoning (seaweeds, etc). I made a delicious azuki bean and kabocha squash dish from The Kind Life and found an azuki bean and cabbage soup (made with red miso) on the web (can’t remember the source, but I have the recipe if you want it) that was YUMMY!

Rosey Rebecca July 11, 2010

Eric is so sweet! I love how supportive he is. My boyfriend is the same exact way. It’s so cool that you’re selling at the farmers’ market and boo about the non-organic cherries.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 11, 2010

Hahaha your sign reminds me of that song “What’s your flava, tell me what’s your flava” and now it’s stuck in my head!

Anika July 11, 2010

Like other readers said – no wonder you didn’t like them plain in your salad. Asian and sweet, they are delicious, but you can make them work for savory meals by adding spices and cooking them down more. Since they’re so healthy, I often use them instead of other beans. My favorite way to eat them is in Creole-style beans and rice. I saute some onions, peppers and celery (the trinity) with garlic, a bayleaf, Jamon (by Goya – yes, it”s vegan, shockingly enough), and creole seasoning. Then I’ll add the beans and broth and cook it down until they’re somewhat mushy (only because that’s how I like my beans and rice.) Later I’ll add some tomato sauce, a little vinegar, and some marinated tempeh. Top with green onion and voila! It’s delicious over some brown rice or stuffed into a baked potato.

Rebecca C. July 11, 2010

That open face sandwich is a great lunch idea! I have sent several of my friends links to your blog. I’m always raving about the food I make from your recipes. Thanks! :)

Jen @ Happy Heart, Happy Mind July 11, 2010

Awww! What a great husband :)

I can totally see and hear the kids yelling “Glow Dough! Glow Dough!” Too funny!

Amanda K. July 11, 2010

What a sweet husband you have! You guys are adorable.
And that sandwich looks really good…mmm, basil!

Kirsten July 11, 2010

I love that you guys have a checklist! Glad the farmers market is going well!

Jen July 11, 2010

I am a total list maker! my bf makes fun of me for it but they are key.. whenever we get home from the grocery store & he groans because he forgt something, then i know he didn’t put it on the list!

Page 1 of 212»