Alvin The Chipmunk

Good evening!

Today has been another busy one as I catch up from last week’s Canada Day Glo Out. I am happy to say by tomorrow at noon I will have over 25 orders shipped out. I hope to have everything shipped out by Wed/Thurs. I also have a big Ambrosia order to bake tomorrow and then market prep Thurs + Fri! Going to fly by as usual.

IMG 1506 thumb   Alvin The Chipmunk

Two reasons why I was excited about dinner tonight:

1) CSA red potatoes

and

2) Cold dinner (it hit 37/99F today!)

IMG 1434 thumb   Alvin The Chipmunk

I decided to make a cold pesto potato salad using up some of my vegan garlic scape pesto and other random things in the fridge!

First, I boiled about 10 small red potatoes for about 10-15 minutes until tender. As the potatoes were cooking, I chopped 1 large green onion, 1 garlic scape, and 2 tomatoes.

IMG 1431 thumb   Alvin The Chipmunk

I put the tomatoes in a small bowl and added about 1/3 cup of the vegan garlic scape pesto and some paprika (for no other reason than just being obsessed with it).

IMG 1441   Alvin The Chipmunk

I stirred this very well and added about 1 tbsp of cold-pressed sunflower oil to thin it out. I drained the taters and mixed everything in a bowl…

IMG 1447 thumb   Alvin The Chipmunk

I also added some lemon zest and a couple squirts of lemon, along with tons of freshly ground black pepper and sprinkled of kosher sea salt.

In theory, it was the perfect dinner. That is my story and I am sticking to it.

IMG 1455 thumb   Alvin The Chipmunk

In theory, it was awesome. In real life it was not so great.

Too much garlic + onion…and yes, dad there is such a thing as too much garlic!  :lol:

It overpowered the entire dish and I just was not a fan. If I were to make this again I would not add scapes + green onion because the pesto is already very garlicky. I’m kind of stumped on this one…does anyone have any ideas on how to save this dish? Maybe it was the pesto mixed with he paprika too…

In other news, there will be no vampires near me tonight! Poor Eric is working late and will probably choke this down when he gets home.  I will warn him, don’t worry! Then he will say something to the effect of, ‘If YOU don’t like it, it must be really, really bad!!!"’  I will agree.

IMG 1452 thumb   Alvin The Chipmunk

What does a girl do when dinner is a flop in the taste department?

She makes a wicked delicious dessert and she forgets it happened. That is, until she enters the kitchen and sees all the dishes waiting to be cleaned.

IMG 1498 thumb   Alvin The Chipmunk

Yes please.

IMG 1459 thumb   Alvin The Chipmunk

Pretty please with a cherry on top!

(I can’t be the only one who used to say that to their mom?)

IMG 1461 thumb   Alvin The Chipmunk

The ‘monster’ told me to make something sweet and to hurry it up! So demanding!

IMG 1474 thumb   Alvin The Chipmunk IMG 1481 thumb   Alvin The Chipmunk

I made cake batter banana soft serve (1 frozen banana processed with 1.5 tbsp carob powder), and had it along with a cherry, banana, coconut butter mini loaf (drizzled with maple butter) and some cacao nibs.

IMG 1488 thumb   Alvin The Chipmunk

I don’t fool around. This was pure bliss and I enjoyed every cold and sweet bite after a long and sticky day of work.

IMG 1490 thumb   Alvin The Chipmunk

It melted soooo fast in this heat!

I also snapped more backyard pictures…

Presenting the things I love about our backyard…

[Warning: If you are scared of spiders I suggest you do not go any further!]

1) Flowers!

IMG 1515 thumb   Alvin The Chipmunk

IMG 1519 thumb   Alvin The Chipmunk

IMG 1525 thumb   Alvin The Chipmunk

2) Basil I haven’t killed yet (although I was NOT pleased to see a spider web on my basil today!!)

IMG 1524 thumb   Alvin The Chipmunk

3) Animal Homes

IMG 1526 thumb   Alvin The Chipmunk

4) CHIPMUNKS!!!!!

IMG 1549 thumb   Alvin The Chipmunk

Meet Alvin!  :biggrin: I know, I know I am too original. He loves us because we fill up the bird feeder every week and he hangs upside down to eat from it.

IMG 1555 thumb   Alvin The Chipmunk

Isn’t he beautiful? I totally want to train him to do tricks.

This is a MUST WATCH:

I laughed So hard when I watched that video!!! Totally was not expecting that! I also was totally creeped out by that man with the mask…!?!?  :lol:

IMG 1556 thumb   Alvin The Chipmunk

You can just tell that Alvin would be an excellent participant.

Presenting things I do not like about our backyard…

1) %#^$&^@&#*^*&#!!!!!

IMG 1560 thumb   Alvin The Chipmunk

What nightmares are made of!

IMG 1510 thumb   Alvin The Chipmunk

(No, I did not get this close, I zoomed and cropped a photo, but I’m sure you knew that!!!)

I like to pretend that these bugs do not really exist. I’m much happier as a result.

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) July 5, 2010

There are few things in this world better than banana soft serve and warm, soft, bready carbs…I do hope your banana bread was WARM!

Congrats on your hard work in the bakery :)

Paige (RAN) July 5, 2010

Awesome pictures in this post, Angela! Remind me, what camera do you have again? Is it the Cannon 40D EOS?
Anyway, that dessert looks amaaaazing! Have a great night!

AngelaOSG July 6, 2010

I have a Canon 30D…shoot in raw and use Adobe Lightroom :) Its fabbbbulous.

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ July 5, 2010

Sometimes everyone has a dinner that becomes a bust. At least the dessert looked amazing.

Camille July 5, 2010

Oh man, I can’t believe how hot it is there! So far so good in San Diego, it probably only hit 80 degrees F today or so… it can’t last forever though…

Stefanie July 5, 2010

Bummre your dinner did not taste good. Atleast dessert was good. That video of the chipmunk is cute. Have a great night.

Jo July 5, 2010

Ok the eats look good as usual and I love love love the pictures of the bugs! I’m a bit of a nature girl myself. And you should read this if you haven’t already seen it: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/06/health/06real.htm
When I saw it I smiled and thought so my proclivity for forest time is good for me! :)

Carrie @ TV and Dinners July 5, 2010

I made almost that exact same thing last week. If you have some vegan mayonnaise lying around a little bit goes a long, long way to mellowing out the garlic scape flavor of the pesto.

Lauren (Lauren Loves Good Food) July 5, 2010

That chipmunk video is too funny!! I might jump into someone’s pocket too if they had peanuts, he he.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 5, 2010

Ahhhh cipmunks are natures hamsters! They’re so cute!!! :D

Lisa (BBB) July 5, 2010

Sorry to hear dinner was not wonderful – at least your dessert was though!!!

Rebeca July 5, 2010

I was just thinking that there need to be more potato salads made without mayo (=gross)… I love the idea of this and can’t wait to make it (sans paprika lol)

Faith @ LovelyAsCharged July 5, 2010

I fracking HATE bugs! My work sent my on a nature hike with my students and they all made fun of how squeamish I was. I don’t think I’m a prissy girl by any means, but put me around a wasp or a beetle and you bet I’m flipping out like I’m five!!!

Jordana July 5, 2010

I think if you tried warming the whole potato salad so that it cooks the garlic and onions, it would be way more mild. You could bake and have like a potato hash or just call it warm potato salad!

AngelaOSG July 6, 2010

great idea!!

Bridget July 5, 2010

Ahhh Spiders! They totally creep me out! A few weeks ago, I was lifting the covers off my bed to go to sleep and was surprised to find a big spider crawling around! Definitely didn’t sleep in my bed that night :O

jenn (GH) July 5, 2010

You are one HARD WORKER!! Awesome!

What a lovely backyard you have. I love Chipmunks. They are darling!

Erin July 5, 2010

I love all the unique twists you put on banana soft serve. It’s so refreshing when it’s HOT HOT HOT. I’ve been making mine for breakfast with banana, PB, a little yogurt or almond milk and wheat germ. Yummy, filling and chilling. :)

Erika July 5, 2010

Embrace the bugs!! They are part of your garden community and help it grow – they are just as afraid of you as you are of them. Learn to make friends with them – we are all creatures of the earth!

AngelaOSG July 6, 2010

I tell myself this all the time and it doesn’t make my fear go away!

Kristy July 5, 2010

Your recipes follow the seasons so nicely… So whole some.

Julie @SavvyEats July 5, 2010

I made potato salad using just garlic scape pesto and potatoes, and it turned out pretty well! In the future, I think I’d add some tomatoes and a little lemon and s+p, too…that sounds good!

rachel July 5, 2010

pretty flowers! & that dessert looks amazing….
hot day here too. where’s the rain?!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is July 5, 2010

Yikes! I hate spiders! And all bugs!

Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey July 5, 2010

Aw, that’s too bad about your dinner flop. It really looks amazing!

Um, wow. Your dessert has me drooling, seriously. I can’t take anymore of your wonderful creations, Angela! I’m gonna gain a trillion pounds! ;)

Oh, your backyard is absolutely beautiful. I love those flowers. The spiders and bugs, not so much, but they’re common in every backyard, right?

Jen July 5, 2010

Could you add some more potatoes/veggies to the salad to strech out the extra garlic-y dressing? At least it looks tasty!

Ah, gotta love Alvin! When I was a kid we used to cottage in Sauble Beach every summer. We had a chipmunk named Chippy who was quite a character. One time my grandpa put a slice of roast ham on a paper plate on the ground next to his lawn chair (to be enjoyed later!) Chippy up and stole that slice of ham in no time flat – I only wish we had video of the slice of ham running across the lawn as the chipmunk stole it. We didn’t see Chippy for a few days after that so I’ll assume he was in “hog heaven” and taking his time enjoying it!

Robin@ RawkinRobin July 5, 2010

Aww Dang that dinner looked awesome! f it were me i’d attmept a remedy by mixing in a bunch of roughly chopped spinach and maybe a chopped red pepper and add some more oil or something to keep it moist. Perhaps a splash of Apple cider vinegar too. I would think by adding more veggies but no more pesto or garlic scapes the flavor will be less potent.

Shanna July 5, 2010

Love that lil chipmunk…just train him to eat those nasty bugs and spiders. Eeek!
As for saving your potato salad, what about some vegan cheese to mellow things out???

Miranda @ MirandasJeans July 5, 2010

Even when I am camping and stand completely still with peanuts I don’t get chipmunks to get that close to me. Great video find. The mask as well as the eight legged guy creaped me out.

Eunice July 5, 2010

Chipmunks! There are no chipmunks in my area. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one! The closest thing we have are squirrels, but they are skinny and gray. I want a chubby chipmunk pet!

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) July 5, 2010

I can’t believe that dinner flopped! It has to be the paprika/pesto combo. Maybe try leaving it out next time?

That chipmunk is too cute!! He looks totally trainable. :)

Morgan @ Life After Bagels July 5, 2010

Okay so this post it a TOTAL deja vu for me. Last week we were at the cottage and my bf took over 200 photos of chimpmunks and bugs. I wasn’t allowed to post them on my blog because he was waiting for the perfect moment to release them.

Nikki T July 5, 2010

Too bad about the dinner flop :(
But your dessert definately made up for it I’m sure!

So, I finally got around to finding/buying coconut oil!! Now I need something to make with it!
Can you recommend the best/favorite thing (or two!) to try out first??

AngelaOSG July 6, 2010

Try making my raw choc chip cookies + chocolate chips (recipe page)…yum!

Sarah July 5, 2010

Alvin is precious. I love his little ear. You should totally teach him tricks. That dessert looks amazing.

Ashley July 5, 2010

I love how you package the globars. Those boxes are just perfect. So crisp + clean! Well, yes…dinner does sound amazing! Your dessert looks adorable..love the last shot in the tea cup!! SO cute :) I feel ya on the bugs….blegh!

Molly July 6, 2010

Hi Angela! I love your website and have been creepin’ on it for a few months now without making any comments. I figure now would be a good time to start. I love banana soft serve, love chipmunks, love flowers, but HATE those bugs! The world would be a better place if they weren’t so scary lookin’!

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter July 6, 2010

It’s just the worst when a dish flops, especially when you have someone waiting on it for you :/

Eimear Rose July 6, 2010

Potato and paprika is normally a real winner, maybe just sprinkle it over the top of the dish at the end? As well as maybe not adding the onion and garlic scapes, perhaps the pesto needed thinned out a bit more. Usually pesto is quite runny, but that’s because of all the oil. It can seem a bit mad having all that oil in one thing, but basically pesto is just oil with herbs and nuts blended in. I hope Eric ate it too, then he won’t have noticed your vampire defying breath! The desserts looks delicious, you totally rescued the situation:)

AngelaOSG July 6, 2010

haha yea he ate it with ketchup on top! LOL. Still didnt like it :(

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] July 6, 2010

Wonderful outdoor pics! Your backyard is so… “outdoorsy” ; )

Dessert looks and sounds delish (I made cherry coconut butter banana bread today!).

Good luck with the rest of your work week — do you still have an assistant? If so, we sure don’t hear much about her.

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs July 6, 2010

Too much garlic!!?? I have yet to come across a garlicy dish that has defeated me, I bet I would have loved that :P
You get CHIPMUNKS wild!?That’s SO cool!! I wish we had wild ones in England :’(

Little Bookworm July 6, 2010

Cake batter softserve sounds amazing! Alvin the Chipmunk looks cute, the bugs not so much!

AGS July 6, 2010

Your dessert looks great. Interesting story: I’ve been eating different variations of banana soft serve for some time now. My husband stopped with a friend for frozen yogurt, and brought me back a little cup last night. Even as I gobbled it down, I couldn’t help thinking that my banana soft serve was just as good. . . possibly better. Now that is the true measure of a dessert!

AngelaOSG July 6, 2010

I agree…as soon as I started making BSS my cravings for ice cream went away! Crazy,.

Wei-Wei July 6, 2010

I saw the grainy stuff on your spoon and got all excited thinking it was brown sugar. I am a big, big fan of brown sugar… but your Cherry Banana (can’t remember the whole name?!) loaf looks incredibly delicious too! :D

Alvin is sooo cute! My mom is so scared of all rodents. She even calls rabbits “rats”! Jeesh.

Wei-Wei