Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

Good morning!

Happy 4th of July to my American readers! I hope you are having a wonderful long weekend!!

I fully intended to post last night, however good intentions don’t always translate into actions!  By the time Eric and I got back from the market, unpacked, cleaned up, had lunch it was 6pm and then we got a last minute invitation to go to a friend’s place for the night. But I am now here, rested up, and I have the Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market #3 recap!

The weather was finally sunny and hot, hot, hot! We were all hot and sticky before the market even started! I think between Eric, Karly, and I we must have drank a gallon of water.

IMG 1228 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

Notice anything different here?

IMG 1221 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

That would be a new canopy tent from Costco! Our other tent broke last Saturday after we got home from the market. We left it outside to dry out and the next day we went outside and it was in a heap on the driveway and poles were bent every which way. The rain had pooled on top and was just too much for the tent to take I guess. Mark my words, I will never buy a cheap tent again!

We headed to Costco and picked up the Ferrari of canopy tents!  It is excellent quality, looks beautiful, and comes with 4 rain walls should we need them. Other vendors also commented that our tent felt cooler than other tents yesterday!

Empower is also hot, hot, hot.

IMG 1216 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

For week #3 I sampled two new flavours in addition to our weekly Empower and Liberate samples- Classic and Present. Both flavours were a hit!

IMG 1211 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

Present almost sold out!

GLO DOUGH!

IMG 1212 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

I made a full tray this week and we sold every single one of them! I need to keep making more and more. I didn’t make chocolate macaroons this week because I ran out of my organic maple syrup.

IMG 1213 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

They went fast!

IMG 1227 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

Friday night I also made 10 Cherry, Banana, Coconut Butter Mini Loaves to sell at the market, but sadly I over-cooked them and they were too dry!

IMG 1167 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

I froze the leftovers and I think Eric is going to take them to work this week. Next time, I will have to be careful not to overcook this bread. It was much better slightly undercooked than overcooked so please disregard my comments about it needing to cook longer….

We put out lots of mini Canadian flags for Canada Day weekend. Aren’t we festive!?

IMG 1230 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

Some lovely blog readers came to visit me, including:

Daniela (left)…who has a connection to OSGMOM! Daniela was the winning bidder on OSGMOM”s purse that was up for auction in Shop 4 A Cause 2!! She is wearing the purse in the photo and she just loves the purse!

IMG 1742 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3 IMG 1741 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

I also met another Angela (right) from Eat, Spin, Run, Repeat!

Week 3 was our best-selling week yet at the market. Empower continues to be our best-seller which is no surprise because it has always been a best-seller and we are also sampling it every week. Basically whatever we sample sells really well! The only flavour I don’t sample is Adore (s’more with homemade graham crackers) because that bar sells itself!

Our only complaint again about the market is that it starts late and finishes late (9:30am-2pm). At noon, it literally DIES off. I don’t even need to look at my watch because I know when it is noon because there are literally no people in sight.

Ninety-five percent of our sales occur between 9am-11am. I suspect everyone goes home to eat their garlic scapes at noon! I think that the market hours should be from 8am- 12:30. It is a bit frustrating standing there and not having any people walk by because I know we could be selling out every single bar if the market had more traffic. We also aren’t allowed to pack up early, so we basically just stand around and pass the last 2 hours with few customers. I think I might speak to the market director to see what her thoughts are about it…

IMG 1235 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

I also did my ‘grocery shopping’ for the week!!!

I went back to the Baba-Link Organic Farm where I bought my Purslane last week. Pat is such a sweetheart! We have long talks about strange greens and Gooseberries.

IMG 1236 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

Rainbow Chard…

IMG 1241 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

Red kale and mixed greens…

IMG 1244 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3 IMG 1248 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

Sugar peas…

IMG 1251 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

Snow peas…

IMG 1254 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

And some red!

IMG 1256 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

I also went over to chat with Bob from The Fresh Veggies and I told him I had no idea what I bought last week!  :lol: I think he was quite amused.

IMG 0723 thumb1   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

Those of you who guessed Fenugreek were correct!!! I guess I thought they said FENNEL but it was actually Fenugreek! Now I need to figure out how to eat it….

When Eric and I got home we both cracked open our favourite beer by Mill Street, Original Organic.

IMG 1269 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3 IMG 1270 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

Sluuuurrrrrp! It felt so good on a hot day.

Then I made lunch featuring rainbow chard!

IMG 1261 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

Despite how beautiful chard is, I have never been big on the flavour (or smell!). I figured I would give it another try to see if I could learn to appreciate it.

IMG 1259 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

Into the skillet went chard, sweet potato, tomatoes, garlic scapes, green onion, sunflower oil, seasonings, sea salt, curry, etc.

When I cooked the chard I was reminded at how much I detest the smell of chard! Ewwwww.

I sprinkled it with my seedy glo dough crackers…

IMG 1273 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

It looked beautiful!

IMG 1277 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

However, sadly I had to choke this down. I am still not a fan of chard. It is so strange because I will literally eat ANY GREEN, but chard just doesn’t jive with me.

IMG 1274 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

Luckily I had lots of spices and sea salt on it though so they helped mask the taste!

More energy later on…

IMG 1287 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

IMG 1289 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

Look what else I bought!

IMG 1238 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3 IMG 1291 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

Yes that would be a delicious basil plant!

Sadly, the one I trans-planted did not make it (I should have left more stem on it and I clipped it too low!). I bought this basil plant from Clover Roads Organic Farm.

I told the farmers that it was likely I could kill their dear basil plant and they still trusted me and gave me a pep talk. Thanks Inge and John! I told them I will bring them a progress picture when it grows….gulp!! I dream of it growing so big that I will be eating copious amounts of basil on my sandwich every day just to keep up.

You can see the hope in my eyes! (I also think you can see the basil plant quivering with fear…)

IMG 1308 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

I shall sing to it every day. I need a name for it though…

IMG 1361 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

IMG 1359 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

IMG 1362 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

IMG 1369 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

Thanks to Karly for the beautiful hanging flowers she gave me for my birthday last month! I am happy to say I did not kill them!

IMG 1371 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3IMG 1374 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

IMG 1355 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

IMG 1357 thumb   Oakville Organic Farmer’s Market: Week 3

Today’s question: Are there any greens you refuse to eat and just can’t like the taste no matter how much you try them?

I’m off to bake an order and then Eric and I are off to the beach for an open-water swim. We have totally been slacking in the swim department, so hopefully it goes well. Have a great day!

VeggieGirl July 4, 2010

Congratulations on the Glo Bar success at the market!! No doubt it’ll continue :)

Greens I refuse to eat = I really just don’t like arugula or rocket. Too bitter.

Jacquie July 4, 2010

Agreed! Everyone uses it nowadays, but I’ve never liked it. Oh well…

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is July 4, 2010

I’m shocked that you guys aren’t allowed to pack up early and go! Are you allowed to suggest a change of time?
Hahah the greens question is funny for me. Since I am not a veggie fan I don’t eat many – I do eat spinach, kale, and most lettuces, but am afraid of the others. ;)

Maria @ A La Mode July 4, 2010

I admire your persistence to continue to eat chard when you don’t really like it. I’m the same way with kale. Despite my dislike, I still try to scarf it down, but its pretty difficult at times.

Ange July 4, 2010

Love the Cdn flag touch!!
We’re planning to drive up to the market next weekend – look forward to meeting you!

AngelaOSG July 6, 2010

Awesome cant wait to meet you! Come early if you want produce…the selection is quite sparse!

NC July 4, 2010

Google Aloo Methi (Potoatoes with Fenugreek leaves ) .. I always buys frozen fenugreek to make the dish . It is a Indian dish and we use the seeds and the leaves to cook . If you can’t find a recipe let me know , I will defintely send the recipe I use ….

Jaya July 4, 2010

ANgela, you are like the glamour gardener. I love your rockin red toe nails!

AngelaOSG July 6, 2010

haha thanks!

Jenn (GH) July 4, 2010

We have been getting SO MUCH rainbow chard through our CSA as of late. I’m so-so about it. I can eat it when my husband sautees it in coconut oil with onion and garlic…so long as it’s not over cooked then I literally have to choke it down as well.

I’ve been eating tons of cherries lately. SO. GOOD.

Glad you had a good day at the farmer’s market. I’d want them to move the time up too. Hope it happens.

Mel July 4, 2010

Angela,

Try making Chard with red peppers, pineapple, and red onion. Cook the onion until it reaches its desired yumminess, add the red peppers, (5-10 minutes maybe). Then add the Chard and saute for a minute. Add Pineapple juice, and tiny bits of chopped pineapple and cover for a few minutes until the chard wilts. Oh and DON’T USE THE STEMS. Save them for another experiment until you figure out if you like chard or not. Stems do NOT cook at the same rate as the leaf so if you want to use the stems you have to chope them tiny and start them cooking with the onions. The stems would be good chopped up in an asian flavored dish to give it a little crunch! Good luck :-)

OSGMOM July 4, 2010

Mel, what a great chard recipe. I’m definitely trying this next time I buy chard. Thanks for sharing.

AngelaOSG July 6, 2010

Mom you can try it out and let me know! haha

Wei-Wei July 4, 2010

Chard… I actually like the taste of swiss chard! Maybe you should say that you DO like all greens, but rainbow chard just isn’t green ;)

Congratulations on having such great business on your third week! You rock :D

Wei-Wei

Jae July 4, 2010

do celery and tomatoes count?
I tried choking down a tomato slice, sliced thiiiiiiiiiinly at that and DRENCHED with sugar but I couldnt handle it. I cant even go near a piece of celery… the smell throws me off right off the bat. But happily I can eat them when they’re in some hearty soup :D

Helen July 4, 2010

I’m glad that the Farmer’s Market went well, it sounds like you are doing so well and creating good business. I agree that the hours are a bit strange, it does seem to start very late. Loving your dinner btw, so colourful!

Megan (Running Foodie) July 4, 2010

Congrats on another great week at the market! I am sad that I do not live close enough to come visit!

I also cannot stand the taste or smell of chard but, like you, continue to try to choke it down because it’s good for me!

Jess @ Jessica is Getting Fit July 4, 2010

I’m a lover of all greens! I echo previous sentiment about getting rid of the stems with the chard. I like preparing chard with lemon juice, garlic, sea salt and EVOO! Yum!

Your farmers market looks so good – I wish the bakers at ours were as prepared as you! I also find it weird you can’t leave early as I know at our farmers market if you run out of things people leave early!

Kristina July 4, 2010

I guess mushrooms aren’t really considered a green, but I can’t stand them! I know they’re supposed to be all sorts of healthy, but I still can’t even manage to choke one down. Everyone makes fun of me for it :P

Heidi July 4, 2010

I totally think you should try to get your farmers market changed. Ours is from 8 till noon and it’s perfect. I always go before 9 and it would be inconvenient to go if it started after 9, but that’s just me. As for greens… They’re all ok, but I like old kale the least. You know when it’s been sitting too long and it’s really bitter. Yuck!

laura July 4, 2010

I’d hang in there with the market. It’s still early in the season and a new market. It may take people awhile to get used to the idea that you are there until 2. Many farmer’s markets close at 12, so it might just be something people don’t expect yet. Once people get used to the idea and become familiar with the market itself you’ll see that it changes. I’ve done many for years and have found that once established, the last 30 minutes of a market can be as busy as the mid morning.

Emily July 4, 2010

blending chard and mango together makes an unexpectedly great green pudding! a little bit of lime in there is nice too.

congrats on the farmers’ market success!

lynn July 4, 2010

I love swiss chard but just can’t figure out a way to eat kale without ruining it… i’ve heard a lot about kale chips, maybe that would help… I don’t like arugala either or the other really bitter ones… all time favorite…. beet tops… yummy!!!

your glo bars look delish!

Kelsey July 4, 2010

There isn’t a green I dislike! Then again, there are a couple greens I’ve never tried, like kale and chard, so I may have to revisit this question at a later date, haha!

Amber K July 4, 2010

Most greens are super bitter to me.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 4, 2010

Congratulations on doing so well at the market!!! You’re really talented to be able to make these creations and have them be an immediate success! All the photos of the flowers are absolutely gorgeous, too. :) And as for the questions, there’s no veggie I won’t try!

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs July 4, 2010

Good job on the Farmer’s Market – The mini loaves sound DELICIOUS! Isthere a recipe?
I think I’ve seen fenugreek seeds added to curries, if that helps you decide what to with it!?
Have a lovely evening :)

AngelaOSG July 6, 2010

The mini loaves were made using my Cherry, Banana, Coconut Butter bread from last week :)

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ July 4, 2010

Your tent/booth at the market looks great. I love seeing what your doing and how things are going. I’m starting my own granola business and I’m hoping to be at a farmers market next summer. I need to get my commercial kitchen license in the next few months. Any tips for starting out? I have already learned so much from you.

Blaine July 4, 2010

Two words… dandelion greens.
For the life of me, I cannot choke those bitter green down!

Bridget July 4, 2010

First of all, you look gorgeous in those photos of you planting basil. Like, supermodel gorgeous!

In terms of greens, I used to hate ALL greens a few years ago. Now I love kale and spinach, but haven’t tried chard yet. I wanted too, but i’m not so sure now :S I hate stinky foods – blech :P

Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales July 4, 2010

Glad the Farmers Market is going well. Once word starts to get round about your products you’ll just keep selling more and more; they seem awesome! Do you have to stay at the Market until closing, otherwise you could just pack up a bit early? Good luck with the open-water swim; you’re a braver lady than me!!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 4, 2010

I can’t believe you guys had to stand out there till 2 – Katie and I walked around for about an hour longer and by that time we were dying of the heat! You and Eric are troopers!

I was watching an episode of Bitchin Kitchen last night and the host (Nadia G) made ravioli with Swiss chard and portabella mushrooms… Swiss chard doesn’t normally get me very excited but it actually looked quite tasty in this recipe! If you want to have a look, check it out at http://bit.ly/c4wTjQ.

Congrats on your record sales yesterday. I’m trying to make my Empower and Adore bars last but may just have to make an online order soon! :)

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! July 4, 2010

I have never seen anyone look so fab while gardening. I love your purple shirt!

Glad to hear the market was another successful day. Hopefully the market hours can be changed either this year or next. Your logic makes perfect sense to me! Farmer’s market people are early risers.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter July 4, 2010

It’s so hard for me to eat Kale! I wish that I would like it, but I don’t even like Kale Chips! I guess I’m just a kale failure ;)

Crystal July 4, 2010

Our farmer’s market back home runs from 9am – 1pm. 9:30 is the busiest time that I’ve noticed, too.

I’ve decided that I am going to try your Glo bars! I’m a poor student though so I’m saving some money this sumer for my back-to-school-shop and Glo bars are on the list. I am thinking about investing in a blender to make Green Monsters, too. I need to do more research on blenders though. ;)

I am so happy that you had so much success at the market! It looks like fun too. :D As for greens… I haven’t tried very many because I grew up on iceberg lettuce so I’m still slowly opening up my options. But arugula is a bit bitter I find.

Jessica Flanscha July 4, 2010

I am surprised the farmers market has such late hours. I am in the US (Iowa) and literally every market here is from like 7-12 or 8-12. If I were you, I would first talk to some of the other vendors to see if they have suggested a time change and if they have noticed the huge drop in customers in relation to the time. Maybe next week keep track of the percentage of customers in relation to time so you have some info to actually show the market director? Seems a shame for you guys to stand around wasting your time :(

highonhealthy July 4, 2010

Right now the green that I’m scared of is kale. I keep seeing it all over the blog world and everyone seems to love it but I put it in a smoothie once and have been scared away ever since. I’ve been thinking of trying kale chips though because that seems to be able to convert people over!

I love reading your Farmer’s Market recaps! You look gorgeous in the photos and it’s so obvious you love what you’re doing. :)

Amanda @ Amanda On Foot July 4, 2010

I don’t think I’ll ever be able to enjoy brussels sprouts. They just taste awful.

Great pictures!
~Amanda

Tami July 4, 2010

you should see if anyone is actually counting the people who attend the market. my friend runs a market in Millersville PA and she was busy last week counting the people. if you have solid data then you can approach the market director with it. i think you are doing a great job!

Sarah July 4, 2010

There aren’t many veggies that I won’t eat but I’m not a fan of arugula. I’m not a fan of the peppery taste!

Congratulations on all the farmer’s market success :)

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] July 4, 2010

I don’t know how you do it all – farmers’ market, baking, photography, feeding yourself amazing meals, blogging, exercising, love, inspiring – you are one HELL of a woman!

Oh, and the gardening picture of you – incredibly beautiful — glowing!!

Diana July 4, 2010

Angela,

Try making chard this way: cut leaves off chard stems. Chop stems, along w/onion, and saute in olive oil (in a Dutch oven or other large pot – preferably w/heavy bottom so it’s less likely to burn). When they have softened (onions are nearly translucent), add garlic to taste. As soon as garlic is fragrant (30 seconds – 1 minute), add chard leaves (chopped into small pieces). Add vegetable broth (probably 1/2 – 1 cup — you don’t want too much liquid, and you can always add more) so that leaves are allowed to steam. Cover and let steam over low heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally and checking to see that there’s enough liquid.

While chard is cooking, toast pistachios (pine nuts also work well). When chard has cooked to desired doneness, add 1-2 T of frozen orange juice concentrate (to taste). Stir so it fully melts and incorporates into dish. Add dried cranberries and toasted pistachios. Eat, and enjoy.

If this preparation doesn’t make you love chard, then you may want to give up trying. :-) I think it’s the combination of so many different flavors (sweet, savory, salty, etc) that makes the slight bitterness of the chard work so well.

OSGMOM July 4, 2010

Diane,
I’m trying this recipe too! Sounds amazing.

AngelaOSG July 6, 2010

Thanks so much!!

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans July 4, 2010

Congrats on another great day at the market. If I am ever out in the Oakville area on a Saturday I am definitely going to have to drop by!!

amy slykhuis July 4, 2010

Hi Angela,

I have been a vegetarian for most of my life. My children would easily and gladly follow in my footsteps but my husband loves meat and won’t go without. I find meal planning to be overwhelming. Do you have any suggestions that would make it easier and make sure I get all my protein needs taken care of?

AngelaOSG July 6, 2010

hi Amy!
I would suggest cooking huge batches of lentils/chickpeas/grains/beans on Sunday that will last for the entire week. That is what I do :) Helps save time!

Camille July 4, 2010

Looks like another great week at the market! Congrats!

Page 1 of 212»