How To Beat PMS

One of the reasons why I love Eric is because he is fearless. He has gone Skydiving in Australia, bungee jumping in Niagara, and whitewater rafting in Ottawa. He is a thrill seeker by nature and nothing really seems to frazzle his nerves.

Eric bungee jumping thumb   How To Beat PMS

Wheeeeeeee.

Eric bungee jumping3 thumb   How To Beat PMS

Eric bungee jumping2 thumb   How To Beat PMS

PS- I’m trying to get him to upload his skydiving video too…it’s crazy!

So yes, he is fearless, or should I say mostly fearless. Everyone has a demon that they fight…

Eric fears monsters.

Not the kind that sleep under your bed at night though, but the kind that sleep in bed with you.

The PMS Monster.

The PMS monster is a term that Eric uses to describe the monthly occurrence when his wife turns into a somewhat less pleasant, irritable, and hormonal version of herself (to put it kindly).

Eric and I generally have a very fun-loving and playful relationship. We joke, we laugh, we are sarcastic as hell, and we make fun of each other all the time. It is all in good fun. However, Eric always knows when the PMS monster has surfaced when his normally funny jokes are met with the look.

When Eric sees the look, he slowly backs away from the PMS monster. It can strike at any time, without warning.

While I have never suffered from crippling cramps or other horrible PMS symptoms, I would say that I do have a moderate amount. I get lots of abdominal cramps, bloating, lower back pain, moodiness/irritability, tenderness, and a tiredness that I can’t shake despite getting a full 7-8 hours night of sleep. Every morning for a week I wake up feeling like a zombie.

Every month, without fail, the PMS monster strikes whether I like it or not.

This morning I woke up irritable, bloated, and with lots of cramps and lower back pain. I woke up on the wrong side of the bed, that is for sure. I decided that today I was going to do everything in my power to fight the PMS monster and to turn my mood around.

I told Eric that I was going to write a post on How To Beat PMS…and he goes, ‘Ummm…I wouldn’t say that you beat PMS….

Touché.

I said, ‘Yea, well I know that you suffer from P-‘man’-S!’  I learned in a psychology course that there is a male form of PMS when men experience hormonal shifts on a cyclic basis. Male PMS explains so much!!!

How To Beat the PMS Monster:

1) As soon as you wake up make a Green Monster packed with greens or make a fresh vegetable juice. This morning when I got up I made a juice with spinach, lemon, beets, ginger, and carrots and I felt so much better after drinking it.

2) As soon as you can (preferably the morning), get in a hard, sweaty, tough workout. Normally I skip my workouts when I have cramps, but this morning I vowed to get outside and get in a tough workout to whip my mood back into shape!

IMG 1739 thumb   How To Beat PMS

I kept telling myself, ‘You will feel like a million bucks when you are done!’ over and over and over. I had to believe that a miracle was possible.

Eric is on vacation today so he came along on his bike to keep me company. We did the murder hill route and I managed to run a hilly, 7.5 miles in 1 hour 7 minutes. It was a very tough workout but once I got 3.75 miles out and turned back, all I had to do was make it back home! The run back was deceiving this time though because it is all uphill from miles 3.5-7!

The run:

• Distance: 7.5 miles
  • Time: 1:07 mins
  • Avg Pace: 9:01 min/mile
  • Avg heart rate: 155 bpm

Mile splits:

• Mile 1: 8:53
  • Mile 2: 8:59
  • Mile 3: 9:01 (from mile 3 murder hill began and then it was uphill until mile 7!)
  • Mile 4: 9:18
  • Mile 5: 9:17
  • Mile 6: 9:21
  • Mile 7: 8:50 (started to pick up my pace to finish strong)
  • Mile 7-7.5: 3:56 (equals a 7:53/mi pace)

Eric was biking beside me when I was sprinting and he kept saying ‘Come on is that all you got!? Feed the warrior!!!!’ I was laughing so hard and trying not to wipe out in the process. Nothing like giggling when you are trying to sprint!

As I predicted, I felt on cloud nine after this run and my mood was lifted the entire day. My cramps also went away by the time I was home too. I will have to remember this for next time!

3) Eat energizing foods. For lunch I had this amazing bowl of stir-fry leftovers from last night mixed with my Canadian Maple Baked Beans. It was awesome! So many great flavours.

IMG 1172 thumb   How To Beat PMS

4) Have an Epsom salt bath. My sister Kristi got me hooked on Epsom salt bath soaks! I have an Epsom salt bath after long runs and after races. A rich source of magnesium, Epsom salts relieve pain and muscle cramps and relax the body, mind, and soul. I highly recommend them if you haven’t tried one before!

5) Indulge your chocolate craving. In the past I used to try to deny my chocolate cravings, but now I always allow myself a bit of chocolate when I crave it. I love intense dark chocolate and my 3-ingredient chocolate covered raisins when a craving strikes.

IMG 0061 thumb   How To Beat PMS

Do you suffer from PMS? What are your tips and tricks for beating the PMS monster?

I have heard of many women using herbs for PMS and I have always been interested in learning more. I also used to know a lady at work who used to swear by a shot of rum or warm Baileys to cure menstrual cramps.  A woman after my own heart!  :lol:

Heather July 2, 2010

oh man, what a topic! i definitely have to have a TON of water, much healthier foods, and chocolate. there, i said it: chocolate. :)

Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans July 2, 2010

I think letting yourself have chocolate (in small doses) is key when PMSing!!
I also agree that healthy eating and a good sweat-fest help too.

Noelle July 2, 2010

I am totally dealing with this now and I don’t quite think my hubby gets it. I worked out TWICE today to feel energetic and not get in my slump, but then I was TIRED! Ha ha ha ha. Crazy neverending cycle I try to explain but I think he is still learning.

I try eat well though, salads, green smoothies oh and crying too helps. :)

Lisa July 2, 2010

It’s weird…the older I get the worse the PMS gets. It never used to be bad. :( I take the Pill and I get emotional and cry a lot when I get to day 27 of the pills. Four or Five days later the period starts and I’m usually ok. I just get overly tired and VERY CLUMSY!!

Lindsey @ Sound Eats July 2, 2010

hahahaha! I was seriously JUST about to sit down and write an eerily similar post. I agree on all of the points and have totally implemented them today. :) Other suggestions for others:

1. Even if you get really bad pains while PMSing, still at least try to get out there for a walk. It will help! And if you start to feel better part way through, you can start kicking it up a notch and jogging, too!

2. Rest! I realized this one today. I always knew that my body gets really, really worn down when I’m PMSing, but today when I was packing, I laid down for a minute and passed out for nearly FOUR HOURS. I knew my body felt worn down, but I had no idea to that extent!

3. Also – avoid salty foods. If you’re already prone to bloating while you’re PMSing, the salt will just make things 10 times worse. And who needs any extra bloating when you’re already a PMS monster?? Not I!

love ya Ange! :)

Bethany @ More Fruit Please July 2, 2010

Both my mom and my boyfriend have become pros at telling when the PMS Monster is around! I feel bad when a joke that I would normally laugh at receives on of my “looks”. Exercising is definitely the best way for me to get over my moodiness although I don’t know if it helps much for the cramps.

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter July 2, 2010

I don’t really do anything for it. I really dislike green monsters so those are completely out of the equation. I usually work out as normal, give into my cravings a bit and sleep. a lot.

Naomi O July 2, 2010

1.drink as much water as I can
2. Wear your favourite clothes (even if you may have already worn them.. and they have paint stains and dirt on them.. cause I have never done that *blush*)
3. Go out. Sitting at home, feeling like a balloon in my pj’s is the worst thing to do!
4. Laugh, at anything. even if you seem looney, it helps!

mm July 2, 2010

My experience is basically just like yours! And the workout always makes me feel better… but I’m constantly trying to talk my husband into giving me a lower-back massage anyway. :)

Eunice July 2, 2010

So funny! Me and the bf are also really sarcastic and funny with each other on most days of the month. But when I’m PMS’ing, the same exact jokes make me cry and spew fire. I can be a pretty miserable bitch! Haha.

Thanks for the tips! I usually just deal with it and make the bf cook for me. I’ll use some of your tips next time. :)

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) July 2, 2010

Hahaha ohhhh Eric.

I definitely get moody toody that’s for sure. I usually cry at stupid things and my appetite is off the charts. Definitely the best part of being a girl!

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is July 2, 2010

I am so lucky in that I rarely suffer from it badly. I have never got cramps, but I do have 1-2 pissy days. I totally agree that getting in a killer workout is the KEY to feeling better!

Danielle (Runs on Green) July 2, 2010

hahah this couldn’t have come at a better time! My PMS monster likes to get angry at the silliest things. Example: When other people are making dinner in the kitchen. Goddamn why can’t they just starve and let me make my dinner in peace!

Love the tips :D I’ve also noticed that a good dose of healthy fat chills the monster. (Or it could be the fact that fat balances your hormones)!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2010

hahaha too funny re: your comment about the kitchen cooks.

I have heard that omega fats help too!

Help Meghan Run July 2, 2010

Good tips! I usually just curl up in a ball and wait for cramps to go away. ;) They’re usually not too bad, though. Then I eat dark chocolate and/or cry if I need to, and remind myself that I really like being a girl in spite of all this. :)

Lisa @ bakebikeblog July 2, 2010

What a great post! I agree with working out. It may be the last thing that you feel like doing but it works wonders!!!

Maria July 2, 2010

A heating pad always works wonders for me as well as a pedicure :)
Epson salt will be added to my medicine cabinet! It sounds lovely and adding some mint or lavender to the bath may make it even more relaxing.

Carmen July 2, 2010

I love Epsom Salt baths!

Katie July 2, 2010

Oh my gosh Angela what a perfect post for me today! Yes the pms monster strikes me too, it did today, I have ALL the symptoms you have too, cramps, irritable, moody, back pain, and I was just saying to my fiance how I really hate having pms and wish I didnt have it so bad, lol! I really love to have chocolate too, I had some today, and I never eat chocolate, only when I have pms, I also love fresh juice during pms too!

Love your ideas, I usually try to work out when I have pms, but the first couple days can be brutal, Im a zombie too and my cramps get too bad : p

thanks for this post, you made my pms feel better already!! lol!!

xoxoxoxo

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2010

Glad you enjoyed the post..I am strangely comforted that I am not alone! lol

Jamie Fisher July 2, 2010

This may be the first time I’m posting, but I have been LOVIN’ your blog since I found it a couple of months ago. It has really been a significant part of my changes-for-the-better. Thanks SO much! My moods & uncontrollable blowups had been getting OUT OF CONTROL, so I began taking a calcium/magesium supplement, & taking Udo’s Oil every day. I also put Bach Rescue Remedy in my pocket to take AS NEEDED. My midwife turned me on to that, but I had forgotten all about it. I can HAPPILY report that this month I had no big struggles with my moods & my cramps were totally minimal!! I’ll tell ya, I’m sure going to keep it up because this month was a real difference! :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2010

Glad you enjoy the blog! THank you :)

Jessica @ The Process of Healing July 2, 2010

I DEFINATELY do! But it’s more moodiness than anything.. I get so emotional!

Bianka (Bananas for bananas) July 2, 2010

bahaha I’m pretty sure that lady was using PMS as her excuse to take some shots…but hey, I’m all for giving something a try before I shoot it down lol

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2010

LOL yea she is hilarious…if you only knew her!

kayla July 2, 2010

haha o man I cry for at least 3 days straight every month. Everyone in my family always knows when I’m pms-ing bc I’ll just sit there and cry for no reason! I will definitely try the having shots trick next time ;) Hey it couldn’t hurt…

Kait July 2, 2010

Wow, I am so glad to hear I’m not the only one that cries! Now I don’t have to get down on myself as much for that :). Usually I try to take a walk with my pug, I drink yogi tea, and I try to give myself something to look forward to at the end of the day which usually significantly improves my attitude.

When I am physically and emotionally challenged, I tend to pass things off to the stronger mental arena which forces me to get up and do something about it. This doesn’t always work, but I’m definitely going to try some of these tips!

katie July 2, 2010

girl these are so great for PMS!! I def cry! I have like a MAJOR ‘tude the day before i start. i am scary.

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ July 2, 2010

I always workout when I have pms, cramps, or bloating. It does make you feel better and it usually goes makes them go away.

Lisa July 2, 2010

OMG I get PMS horribly! I actually get extremely anxious when i know it’s on it’s way, which does not help much to say the least! I definitely do not skip my 6-8 mile run because that is essential like you said. I also love to make myself a choc fudge five ingredient fix! I just take 2 tbsp cocoa powder, a sprinkle of cinnamon, dash of sea salt, a packet of stevia, and a 2-3 tbsp nut milk and stir away until a thick fudge like substance appears! It’s AMAZING, low-cal, delicious, vegan, and RAW!!! lol All the best quick fix wonders in our world!

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2010

this sounds interesting…can you make it with maple syrup…lol…not that I am obsessed with it or anything…

Lisa July 2, 2010

That would be wonderful!!! Let me know how it tastes :)

Laura (youngDCliving) July 2, 2010

This is so funny and honest! Love it.

I am totally NOT fearless and I went sky diving in New Zealand–even though I am afraid of heights, it was the most incredible thing I’ve ever done. I highly recommend it! But I look like a doofus in the video :)

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2010

I want to go skydiving :) Some day! and yea im a uhge chicken too. Good for you for doing it!

caronae July 2, 2010

Thanks for sharing your tips. I agree about getting a sweaty workout in — it gets the blood moving, which helps relieve pain, and it also helps relieve stress and makes you less cranky for the rest of the day.

If I am having really bad stomach cramps or back pain I might do a little self-massage or just get a massage. Also, drinking lots of water seems to help!

Bridget July 2, 2010

Hehe your so funny :P Isn’t great how one “monster” can conquer another? The green monster totally tackles the pms monster! I must say that I’m not a major pms sufferer, but I sure do have more chocolate cravings around that time of the month ;) And exercise always helps with cramps and my mood

Robyn @ Frugal 'n' Fit! July 2, 2010

The benefit to being pregnant: no more PMS! Of course, there are a myriad of other things to deal with :)

I like your step-by-step plan and will be utilizing it in, oh, about 5 months from now.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2010

haha enjoy it :)

Michelle July 2, 2010

I get mild to medium cramps around that time of the month, and I SWEAR by raspberry tea. It’s a god-send, really. In my dorm, you knew who was on their period when the girls start drinking raspberry tea. Cures cramps, I promise.

Crystal July 2, 2010

Ohh I forgot about raspberry tea! I brought some iced raspberry (leaf) tea with honey to school one day and I found it really helped with the cramps.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2010

mmm sounds deelish

sarah July 2, 2010

Hey Angela
Lately I have been making my own green monsters for breakfast. But it’s a bit different, because I made it savoury and warm. I am not used to drinking cold things in the morning it makes my head dizzy. I wanted to ask you what else I can put into my green monster to get more variations instead of carrots and spinach. I tried adding onion and parsley. But onions causes bad breathe which is not good for the start of the day and parsely just made the drink too bitter. Currently I am just blending spinach with carrots, then I transfer it to a small pot and heat it up with EVOO and a bit of salt. I am also trying to get my mum into this green monster thing.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2010

Hmm that is interesting…a savoury Green Monster? I tried that a couple times and it didn’t turn out very good. If you are going for all veggies I would try throwing in half a cucumber and some tomatoes too.

sarah July 3, 2010

Yeah, it’s because new zealand is quite cold atm and so having greenmonster in the morning than coffee really helps with stomach problems. But thanks you, I will try adding cucks and tomamtos into my next green monster ^^

Mj July 3, 2010

This is interesting. I would follow Angela’s advice and base it with tomato. Similar to a bloody mary type cocktail without the alcohol.

Julia July 2, 2010

This is a great post. TOM is looming closer and I bookmarked this post. PMS kicks my butt every time and I can never seem to beat it (or even manage it.) This month I have vicodin from surgery to help with my sometimes unbearable cramps – other than that. . . I WILL be exercising and eating better. Plus, I HAVE to try one of those Green Monsters. (I have been scared to in the past.)

Have a great weekend!

Kelsey July 2, 2010

It’s funny, sometimes I suffer really badly from PMS with severe cramps, headaches, tiredness, bloating, crankiness – the works! Other times I have no PMS at all. If I do have PMS, I usually drink a lot of water, keep myself busy, sometimes I’ll nap if I have headaches or cramps, and sometimes I just have to stay away from everyone for a day or two (more for their benefit than mine)! haha

Crystal July 2, 2010

Thanks for those tips! Unfortunately I am on the other end of the spectrum. Not much in terms of mood, but cramps galore! It is so bad I have to take prescription medication for it. It’s been like this every single time, even when it first started! O_O But usually by the second day I don’t need medication and I can treat it with a nice hot bath or a heating pad and that helps a lot. I find that I crave greasy foods like McDonalds during this time and I try to not have them, but sometimes all it takes is one bite and I feel satisfied.

I’ve heard of women taking evening primrose oil to help but I haven’t tried that myself. Lavender baths are really nice though too!

Oh and I always wear perfume – my expensive ones. It boosts my confidence and for some reason I need that during PMS time.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss July 2, 2010

Ahh good ole’ PMS. Believe it or not, I’ve been told I get extra sweet whenever I go through it. Luckily it doesn’t bother me nearly as much as other people I know..but I was still shocked to know it had the opposite effect! :P

Lisa July 2, 2010

I used to get all of the same symptoms you do every month and now I deal with it by taking a birth control pill where I only get my period every three months! It’s wonderful and I would highly recommend going on one like that if you can. I hated the emotional roller coaster and pains in my back especially. Your tips are great and I hope you feel better.

Laura (Starloz) July 2, 2010

I get the worst back pain EVER & that makes me grumpy. I get snappy & just unpleasant. I try not to snap but for some reason i do. I smile through the pain, stay energized & try to be nice.

Jocelyn July 2, 2010

ahahahah I read this post outloud to lee…he relates with eric! I am HORRID..ugh. I swear. What makes it all worse (my mood) is that I DO GET the CRIPPLING cramps (ever since I was 9!!!). I was put on birth control at a young age for the cramps..which seemed to help but i have been off bc for long time now. I have started taking evening primrose oil caplets which I have heard regulates your cycle+pms related stuff. I also take a tbsp of flax twice daily in food as I have heard it helps also! Drinking peppermint tea each day around a week before is supposed to really help with cramps… I stick a hot water bottle on my lower abs and sleep as much as possible. Other then that…Lee stays outta my way! lol.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2010

Awww sorry you suffer so much! That sounds awful. :\ Your tips are great though, I am sure they do help. Glad Lee got a kick out of it…haha!

Miranda @ MirandasJeans July 2, 2010

I totall suffer. When I read that you give Eric ‘the look’ I laughed. That is exactly what happens in my house. Kevin will say something and I will give him the look of death. I heard once on the radio that there is a website, and what you or the male in your life does is signs up. It works better if you sign him up though. It asks some personal info on your cycle. Then it will send email reminders to watch out PMS is coming, tread lightly lol. http://pmsbuddy.com/ I signed Kevin up about a year ago. lol too funny.

Angela (Oh She Glows) July 2, 2010

hahaha I heard about that a while back and forgot about it!

Page 1 of 212»