Upside Down Turned Right Side Up

That’s how my day went!

I will save the story for a tell-all book when I am 90, crazy, and bored in a retirement home. :lol: You won’t know what hit you.

Until then, I will tell you about my night…which trumped the DAY by a landslide!

IMG 0185 thumb   Upside Down Turned Right Side Up

I made thick sweet potato chips… I have never cut the sweet potatoes like this before, but my recent bowl at Kindfood inspired me to cut them this way.

IMG 0164 thumb   Upside Down Turned Right Side Up .

Round and round we go.

IMG 0165 thumb   Upside Down Turned Right Side Up

I find chopping is very soothing at times. It is a bit like mountain biking; it takes all of your focus and brings about an inner peace.

IMG 0166 thumb   Upside Down Turned Right Side Up

I put the rounds onto a baking sheet and drizzled extra virgin olive oil over top along with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Into a pre-heated oven they went at 400F for 15 mins. on each side. Watch carefully because all will be well until this happens.  :whistle:

IMG 0169 thumb   Upside Down Turned Right Side Up

Sweet potatoes just make my heart warm and tingly inside!

IMG 0170 thumb   Upside Down Turned Right Side Up

As they were baking, I made a huge batch of couscous continuing my love affair for this fluffy, cloud-like grain.

IMG 0181 thumb   Upside Down Turned Right Side Up

Then I poured half of a bottle of PC Organic Pasta Sauce and a tiny sprinkle of curry masala and mixed well.

Before I knew it, I had a dinner…

IMG 0183 thumb   Upside Down Turned Right Side Up

It was pretty good for randomly throwing things into the pot. It wasn’t life-changing or anything though so I wouldn’t go rushing to make it. :tongue:

IMG 0184 thumb   Upside Down Turned Right Side Up

And this little gem is what I would like to call SUNFLOWER SEED BUTTER FAIL.

IMG 0206 thumb   Upside Down Turned Right Side Up

I know, EW. :sick: I was going to throw it into the garbage but I figured you might get a laugh out of it.

I was all excited because I thought I was going to have a fun recipe to show you tonight, but no such luck!

This was my first attempt at making sunflower seed butter.

I threw in 2 cups of sunflower seeds and processed for a loooong time. I scraped the sides over and over and nothing. No ‘butter’ formed. I added some cinnamon, vanilla, and maple syrup for sweetener and I was left with a very bad tasting LUMP of brown POO. :lol: Even the sweetener couldn’t make this taste good. Maybe I should have looked for a recipe first! I’m all impulsive like that.

Eric said, ‘It looks like canned cat food….or something a Hummingbird would eat.’ LOL…what!?

After digesting, I somehow managed to get Eric to go on a RUN with me!

He was SUPER SPEEDY again tonight! He actually sprinted for a bit and he was FLYING!!!! I couldn’t keep up. I am SO humbled running next to a 6’2” giant. I told him I would pay good money for those legs.  :lol: I think he was a bit creeped out….

IMG 1655 thumb   Upside Down Turned Right Side Up

He has so much natural ability with running though. I tried not to drool too much and scare him away. I did 2 miles with Eric and then I dropped him off and ran another mile to round out 3 miles.

The run:

• Distance: 3.05 miles
  • Time: 28 mins
  • Avg pace: 9:12 min/mile
  • Avg heart rate: 155 bpm
  • Max heart rate: 178 bpm (sprinting at end)

Mile splits:

• Mile 1: 9:42
  • Mile 2: 9:26 (Eric ran a strong 2 miles in approx 19 mins…this included lots of walking breaks too!)
  • Mile 3: 8:34 (I wanted to finish very strong)
  • Mile 3-3.05:  6:51 (sprinted!)

It was an awesome run! I have really been making an extra effort to run negative splits and run my last mile the strongest. It feels good working on my speed again. All my workouts will be updated in my training plan too.

I came home to find Eric with a total RUNNER’S HIGH rocking out to BTO. My dad would be so proud. I finished off the run with Polly’s Yoga for Runners while listening to Twist and Shout…it doesn’t get much better than that.

Shall we…

Swoon.

Juliana June 21, 2010

Hi Angela,

I am also a big fan of baking sweet potatoes + EVOO, salt and pepper. Though, I would like to add a tip: sprinkle on fresh rosemary!! It’s killer, I think they are made for each other! I make it all the time when I have guests and its definitely a winner.

I would like to add that I just bought garlic scapes at the farmer’s market thanks to all of your posts. Can’t wait to play around with a new ingredient!

Heather (Heather's Dish) June 21, 2010

you and eric are way too adorable :) OH! and i’m making VOO tonight! can’t wait :) they’re going to be amazing!

Emily June 21, 2010

Must make sweet potato chips! And the post made me look forward to my morning run tomorrow even more!

sui June 21, 2010

wow, sweet potato chips! mmm… and haha, that “poo” doesn’t look very delicious.. feed it to the birds? & my honey scooters along while I run. he has no stamina XD

Kristina June 21, 2010

BTo… that. is. AWESOME !! :)

that dinner looks great to me! um, not the sunflower butter tho… ;)

bitt June 21, 2010

Sweet potatoes were made at my house tonight too. Good stuff.

I would not even know the first thing about sunflower seed butter. I have heard some people use special nut and seed grinders with luck. Sorry it was icky, I’ve had my share of kitchen fails.

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) June 21, 2010

I think you needed some oil with that sunflower seed butter. I tried making it in my Magic Bullet and it came out that way too. All the jars of SSB have extra oil added though. It’s weird because the TJ’s one is suuuuuper runny. Like runnier than yogurt! And I don’t mean Greek :)

wendy @ ABCs and Garden Peas June 21, 2010

Nice taters! I like to rub mine with vanilla macadamia nut oil.

I always thought couscous was a pasta! Is it a grain? Either way, I like it.

Lauren M. June 25, 2010

Couscous is pasta! I thought it was a grain for the longest time, but lo and behold…those little clouds of fluffiness are little bitty pastas.

Jessica @ The Process of Healing June 21, 2010

That’s too bad about the sunflower seed butter! I had a MAJOR fail with banana soft serve last night.. not sure what I did wrong but it was just basically banana soup. Oh well, you win some you lose some.

Bridget June 22, 2010

Were the bananas frozen?

Jessica @ The Process of Healing June 22, 2010

They were! I did everything the way I usually do.. 1 frozen banana, a small splash of almond milk, all in the blender. But no matter how long I blended it, it never turned into the right texture! Just pure liquid.

Taylor June 18, 2012

This was a long time ago, so I dought I’ll be of any help; nonetheless, I will try.
The longer you blend it, the warmer it would become, so that probably wouldn’t help you. For me, if it’s ever to runny, I just put it all back in the freezer until it firms up again. Then, if you want to blend it once more for a more soft serve texture, it might work out better for you.

Cynthia (It All Changes) June 21, 2010

I love to cut the sweet potato fries that way because the other way never seems to cook right for me. This way I can flip them.

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty June 21, 2010

That’s hands down my fav way to eat sweet potatoes… It’s like a party in your mouth. I like to dip them in sweet chili sauce… WWOOOOTT

Awesome run… I love going for runs together, so fun!! :)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 21, 2010

oooh I made sunflower seed butter last week – and yes – it stayed kinda firm. But the taste was all good! Next time I am going to try and add some more oil and perhaps process it longer?

Wei-Wei June 21, 2010

Oh I LOVE sweet potatoes, they are my LIFE! I actually like them better than normal white potatoes (I don’t think they taste like much) and I love dipping them into nut butters ;)

Maybe you needed a little oil in with the sunflower seed? I’m not entirely sure how they make it, though, because when we eat sunflower seeds as they are, we always shell them. Maybe they process only the middle bit? :S

Wei-Wei

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) June 21, 2010

LOL – I love that sunflower seed butter!!

I bet you will perfect it in no time!

Carly @ Happy Healthy Foodie June 21, 2010

Awesome, I love that song! You always seem to throw together the tastiest looking dinners! :)

Michelle @ Give Me the Almond Butter June 21, 2010

Haha, I love that Eric had a complete runner’s high! I just feel all warm and bubbly inside on my runner’s high.

Run Sarah June 21, 2010

I wish I had long running legs too!! Running with a partner is so much more fun though, isnt it?

Natalie @ cinnamonbums June 21, 2010

mmm i love sweet potato chips!

i have to admit i sort of chuckled at your sunbutter fail because the EXACT same thing happened to me a couple months ago and i can COMPLETELY relate. see here: http://cinnamonbums.wordpress.com/2010/05/09/operation-s-u-s-sopping-up-the-surplus/
yes, the exact same thing: BROWN POO that did NOT taste good – and i did the exact same thing (add tons of sugar, cinnamon, spices, etc.) haha i hated that i wasted it so i would TRY to spread it on crackers and stuff and i just.. did NOT like it. i think the key is to use roasted (maybe salted?) sunflower seeds (i used raw, did you?)

zoe June 21, 2010

BEATLES BEATLES BEATLESSSSS!!!!!

no, i’m no obsessed, why do you ask? ;)

anyway, sounds like such a fun night! you and eric are too cute :)

Sara June 21, 2010

I had a long and trying day (and night), and tomorrow doesn’t look much better. But your post totally made my day! Why? Because you ended with The Beatles, of course! Awesome! I thought I was the only one who embedded such things in my posts. :)

Cara June 21, 2010

Everybody has cooking “fails” once in a while, so no worries,
How would we learn new things if we never made mistakes?

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) June 21, 2010

I’m inspired to make couscous, I haven’t had in a long, LONG time and it looks delish.

Jenn

Robin @RawkinRobin June 21, 2010

I love the idea of cooking the sweet potato’s like that. And couscous is also a new favorite grain of mine – so light and fulffy!
And congrats to Eric on the runner’s high haha

Katie June 21, 2010

I made sunflower seed butter in my vitamix a while ago http://makingfoodandotherstuff.wordpress.com/2010/03/13/raw-and-addicting/

It was perfectly creamy though. I wonder if the difference is that I used raw sunflower seeds?

Jackie (Peaces of Earth) June 22, 2010

YAY BEATLES!!! And yay for running husbands! :)

Bridget June 22, 2010

I looooooove sweet potato rounds! So yummy!

Sorry about the sunflower seed butter :( You sure that wasn’t a present left behind from sketchie in his litter box??? Hahaha I joke :P Pardon my very childish sense of humour!

Camille June 22, 2010

Ahhh, sweet potatoes are my favorite food in the world and those look amazing!

Leah June 22, 2010

I did my turnip that way last night… topped with basil and garlic. As for the sunflower seeds – that looks like something I would have tried… Sorry it didn’t work out.

My husband isn’t over 6′ but his legs are still longer than mine and I struggle to keep up with him…

Freya @ Brit Chick Runs June 22, 2010

You are so not alone in the sweet potato love – I would eat them for every meal if I could! Have you ever done sweet potato in a PB jar? I did it the other day…AMAZE!
Well done on the run :)

Amanda June 22, 2010

Dinner looks fantastic. Inspiring, as always.

Cassie @ Tasteful Tales June 22, 2010

I am loving your sweet potato pictures :)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is June 22, 2010

Your dinner looks delish. I make sweet taters almost every single night!

Kristin (Cook, Bake and Nibble) June 22, 2010

See I TOLD you chopping is relaxing :P

I love sweet potatoes too… such a comfort food!

xo
Kris

Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ June 22, 2010

I like the thin cut sweet potatoes. The seed butter looks like cookies in a way, that’s what I thought it was at first.

Laura (youngDCliving) June 22, 2010

Lump of brown poo! Hahaha, sorry, but i was thinking the same thing before you wrote that. So funny.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 22, 2010

I had the same problem with homemade pistachio butter! It still tasted incredible but looked like baby food gone horribly wrong…

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman June 22, 2010

I love sweet potato fries. I let mine get nice and crispy–mm…the best!

nic June 22, 2010

I love round sweet potatos!! But I have jet to try couscous!
And I can’t wait to start my ‘try on running’ again after our Performance (upcoming weekend) is over and my sore body is recovered!

Alisha June 22, 2010

Holy crap, your hubby is only 6’2″??? I thought he was way taller than that, haha. My husband is 6’6″, but I’m 5’8″ so it isn’t too bad, haha. I recently ran with him and at first thought very highly of myself because he was panting and we were going at a decent pace. Then all of a sudden he sprinted off and left me in the dust, urgh, guess he wasn’t that tired. I love my giant though :)

Kristy June 22, 2010

I’m so envious of your knife skills. Your veggies are so symmetrical! When I make parsnip fries it looks like a 2nd grader cut them with safety scissor. Practice makes perfect right?

Page 1 of 212»